the Rift

ROUND ONE: Prometheus v. Ink >> THEUS

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
The first round will be between Prometheus and Ink. You will be fighting using strictly magic, and your goal is not necessarily to injure your opponent. You will be assessed based on realism of writing and creativity. Make your judge believe in your magic!

There will be Two Rounds plus a Closing defense. Official challenge rules for time limits and word counts apply.

You are fighting in the: Frostbreath Steppe while it is snowing.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
INK
I don't see the world unless I see it in

Every time I move sound emits beneath my hooves. It’s a delicate, spine-tingling sound of ice particles rubbing against more ice particles. There’s something satisfying about that chilly crunch, especially if you get to make the first tracks on the ground. I think it has something to do with it being new, as if the world is trying to restart and all that’s left is you and the white sea. So that sound, that lovely, snapping sound, is the world being molded by you and only you.

What I could do if given the world.
I would make sure we did not spiral out of control like we have currently. I wouldn’t let us be cruel or greedy or violent. I would make sure families stay together and that everyone always has a friend.
You need friends in life, you know. Friends teach you to laugh and cry and kick and love. They teach you to hope and to despair, to fight and to walk away. If you didn’t have them, if you didn’t have anyone, you’d be unbalanced. Good always comes with some bad, and things always get worse before they get better. So the world rotates through day and night, shadow and light – so too, do we.

I can’t make my perfect world then, can I? You cannot value something until you’ve lost it. If I try and make sure no one ever loses anything, what would be left to value?

I tilt my head in silent wonder, dark muzzle brushing a hardy plant as I pass by. It tickles me and I exhale with a cloud of smoke, like a dragon. The wind soon carries it away and in her wake she brings me something else.
Snow has begun to fall.

It speckles me into an appaloosa and leaves cold, wet kisses on my body. I grin at the gentle flakes, eyelashes blinking as snowflake and hair tangle together. Through this haze of black and white I see him for the first time. He’s a bit distant still and the white rain does not offer better visibility, but I know him for what he is, a horse.
I strike out at a strong walk.
I am anxious to meet him, to know him, to befriend him. Although I enjoy leaving my footprints in the crisp snow and creating worlds to suit my imagination, it is a lonely thing, being a god. If I am to create I need another to lend me the darkness that I lack. Will he yield sorrow and hate and misfortune into my snowy realm? Will he bring the dark since I would rather hide from it in the day?

My long tail streams behind me like a blanket of water. It stains the pale snow and blots out the perfection of the white field where my dreams roam. So I don’t look back, I just keep going forward towards this stranger. Luckily I am downwind, else his foul aroma would stop me in my tracks and set my ears to uncertain slants. The snow veils him still, but I see enough now to know his color is a painted red and white. His stature is small and nimble; a young colt then, I presume. That makes it all the more likely he’ll be kind to me, although is he lost and trying to get home? I am not cold in this weather, for the flurries are mild and the snow a welcome relief after the past season.
He certainly does not seem distressed.

I stop. My head is high, ears alert. Part of me still doubts the likelihood of companionship – as soon as he knows me mute he’ll turn mean or brush me off, as so many do. I must prevent that; I must show him I am so much more than a dead mouth.

I bring my tail around to my side. It splatters on the snow with a wet smack. I begin to draw as the distance closes between us.
Black trees sprout around him and inky grass sways by his hooves. Dark clouds roam overhead as shadow birds dart through the skies. A jet tiger stalks in the bushes while an ebon elk prances to safety.
This could be the paradise of a different world, a new world.

It melts away quietly.
I gather the forest and the grass and the clouds and the birds and the tiger into a massive ball. It hangs between us, ominous and impressive.
Bit by bit I pull small, black stars from it. I weave galaxies of black holes and moons with perpetual dark sides. I surround us with the universe in so far as I understand it.

It’s my silent way of asking, will you play god with me?

[1/2 - 797 words - Ink uses his magic to imagine a new world and an empty universe for them to try and re-create this world anew, better.]
[edited this and the other post originally to put in the drawing. Edited again today when noticed the drawings were upsetting the blockquote and justification formatting.]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Prometheus Posts: 75
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 8.2 / 16.3 :: 4 months / 6 years [Immortal] HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Pyr :: Siberian Tiger :: Hypnotize & Flaming Touch Adoptable

Snow falls around me in this barren land, yet I do not feel the cold. There is nothing here but the essence of death in a harsh steppe that grows more frigid with each passing hour. Soon Frostfall will overtake the north and what little survives here will freeze in the cold. Everything will die except that which has already lain still. Every heart, save for that which has already ceased to beat, will slow and stutter in the face of winter.

I arrive a shimmering image of life, still revealing some portions of my true self beneath the illusory flesh. I am a vision of that which survives, and still there is the faint odor of rot emanating from my form. Before me stands a creature black as pitch. From his tail drips a thick, black substance. I recognize it as ink, and yet I relate it to the fluid that drips from my still veins. He breathes and his chest rises and falls as would any other. It is his magic that draws him out of the scenery. When before he was no more but a young stallion, now he distinguishes himself as an artist. I watch as from his movements are created trees and creatures just as graceful as he. He says nothing to me, but I do not consider his reticence to be rude or a sign of disability. I am content to maintain the silence. There is more beauty in silence than in the lurches and starts that comprise the voices of the living.

The stranger's life swells and rises. From a forest rises a galaxy, an empty space with room for potential. He looks at me expectantly, as if asking me to join him in his fantasy. Does he wish for me to aid him in this endeavor? I, of all creatures, am being asked to view the world with a sense of optimism. He wishes for me to create something out of nothing, perhaps as the gods once did with me. But was I not borne of revenge and mourning, of unfortunate circumstances and the curiosity of the gods. Had they wished only to exercise their power?

I take halting steps closer to him. The snow falls lightly and has created a thin covering over the frost coated earth. My illusion of life has dissipated, and even the idea of cold seems foreign to me now. I halt directly before him, my form stunted in comparison, my tattered body a true abomination. His magic is to bring the possibility of new life. I look at him, take him in. I lock my gaze with his and open my mouth as if to breathe. But there is no air passing over the exposed skull that makes up my lips. In silence, I reply.

I am a result of the Gods. I think, knowing that he cannot hear me, knowing that it does not matter. Those who play god must also play the role of the reaper. Your beautiful vision of a new life and world will always be haunted by death.

[[ WC: 517 || PC: 1/2 || Notes: Prometheus simply uses his power to exist while undead to remind Ink that death is ever present.]]

img © foter
[Image: siggy1_zpsfwdjquxw.png]
please tag Prometheus in all replies!
magic & force is permitted at your own peril.

Hidden Account
Blu
INK

The stranger stands for a moment more as the stars whirl and the planets turn. I bob my head in further invitation. Whether he takes note from this or not I'm sure to never know, bur closer does he come and that's all that truly matters.

With anticipation I lean forward, breath hitched so that the dragon breathing smoke inside me is quieted too. The wind continues to plant snowflake kisses against my sides, the cold at last beginning to seep in like a numbness crawling sluggishly towards a goal it'd rather not attain. I wonder, does snow feel? Does it wish to hold and caress but not drive away? Is it merely a product of its nature, forced into loneliness as it is admired from afar but reveled in briefly as death claims any who frolic longer?

No I think with a child's laugh of playful abandonment. Snow is snow.

When next I blink the stranger before me is nearly at hoof. The snow eddies around us like a pale veil and I blow at it impatiently. I should perhaps learn patience better, for I am not prepared, nor joyful when the stranger does finally arrive, fully fledged, so to say.

His odor hits me almost before the image. This already has me recoiling, my inky world faltering as my focus slips. My head is raised and neck a gentle arch as I subconsciously tilt my nose away from him. Some stupid hope keeps beating on inside me, because at least he has come hasn't he? His silence is unnerving considering the absence of noise I provide, but I do not waver.

That is, not until I see the very face I longed for. Here death smiles at me. I taunted it and begged of it to taint my perfect world. I recognized the blossoming of life as fruitless without the withering of death, but I am not ready for this abrupt thrust of decay upon my beauty. I stagger back, a silent scream clawing in my throat as my eyes are black balls rolling on white paper.

Around us, the world crumbles.
The stars shoot down in elegant arcs and splatter the snow like dark rain. The planets whirl out of control and collide into one another with a blast and spray of ink, like waves colliding. The black holes and the galaxies and the suns all dissipate and eventually clatter to the ground, ruined.

I retreat hastily from this image of death, my body trembling as I cast my tail around me like a protective shawl. If I drew him in here can I erase him out? Never mind what I thought before, the world can go on without death! Look at it now, rubble compared to the utopia before it came. I'm a fool to think I need to subside to anything besides perfection!

Yet I continue to retreat, abhorred and fearful like never before, because in my heart I know otherwise. I cannot escape this - the worlds burned to an early end because they flourished too long unchecked.

Miserable I cast my ink anew at him, feeble.
From my tail darkness crawls like worms and maggots, all writhing and wriggling to swarm him while flowers bloom around me and my sashaying hooves.
I halt.
An inky tether holds us together as worms become stalks and leaves become claws.
I hate you death, but I need you to. How could I know to smile if not having first learned to sob?
Tentatively I take a step towards him and the stars begin to rise.

[2/2 - 599 words - Ink is terrified of zombie Prometheus, but he qualms his fears knowing death inevitable, and tries to show the link between life and death as he tries to rebuild.]

Prometheus Posts: 75
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 8.2 / 16.3 :: 4 months / 6 years [Immortal] HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Pyr :: Siberian Tiger :: Hypnotize & Flaming Touch Adoptable

I see a look of terror in his eyes and cannot help but feel the thrill of success. Has he never seen death before, never witnessed a corpse even as it lies still? My lips curl wickedly, but even when laughter would seem fitting I maintain silence. Even this uninterrupted quiet seems to have put him on edge. It is as if the young colt expects me to speak for him, to end the emptiness that hangs in the air. It is only when his lips part as if to scream that I understand exactly why.

The creature is mute- I can understand as I peer into his open mouth, see the tongue flapping uselessly and feel the strained breath of the living hit my face, that he cannot utter his emotion. Intriguing that while I maintain such a sense of severity by choice, he is forced into it. Does he see himself as a monster, an abomination, or does he accept it? Does he recognize his imperfection at all? To be mute... I wonder at the sensation. I screamed once, long ago. I screamed as I died.

But if one cannot scream in the face of death, they surely must still fear it, surely must still face it. As ink spews forth from his tail once more, this time in the form of flowers and maggots, I see that he understands this. Death is unavoidable- a hard idea to grasp, a hard concept to face, but one that must be understood if one is to ever truly live. Strange that I know what it is to live.

The teeming plants of the older stallion's creation do nothing to phase me. The link between life and death is nothing new to me- I know the concept better than any, having lived in both worlds. Did the obsidian stallion really think he could affect me? I snort and tilt my head lower before walking closer to him. My steps are disorienting, my appearance that of a queasy colt taking his first steps. I remember my first steps- my real ones. The ones after I pulled myself out of the dim water and felt land beneath by feet only because it was solid. The first steps I took into eternal death.

Now I walk into the realm of the end times once more as the peaceful life that had surrounded the stallion turn to vicious, gaping claws. I press onward through his pictures of fate, draw closer to his right flank and allow my side to brush against him, if he does not move away first. My ribs, split, poke out into the open air and threaten to grace his hide. My stench is overwhelming, my hunger waxing. Slowly I let illusion shimmer over my form as I circle the stranger, doing my best to stay out of his sight. By the time I have potentially reached his right I am living, strong, and standing ever so slightly above him. My horn dips and reaches to graze the other being's spine, my lips part and reveal teeth, as if I am poised to strike. But nothing I do to him is violent- if I touch him at all it is merely to feel his breathing, to understand that he is there. When my lips part it is simply to make him feel the breath as it pushes itself hungrily from my breast, to help him understand the thirst to live. As entities we are both floating in an unfamiliar space, surrounded by the cold death of the snow, which now threatens to freeze the hot blood running through my veins, and the ink drawings of life.

When I stand before him, the illusion begins to partially fade. My face is divided into that of a great steed and a rotting colt. So he has understood that where there is life, there inevitably also death. What, then, can he do in the face of uncertainty, of undefined abominations that still haunt the earth long after their expiration? He draws life- stands in the snow and understands it is a part of nature, perceives it as no threat. He draws death and sees it all around him. He tries to play god until he realizes that he must also play Death. But how does one draw what balances precariously in between?

[[ WC: 727 || PC: 2/2 || Notes: Prometheus begins to circle Ink slowly, approaching from the right side. While on Ink's right, he is undead, and attempts to brush his side against Ink's body. Once behind Ink he begins to transform into his potential form, so that when he is on Ink's left he is alive and full grown. While on the left his horn points down to trace Ink's spine and his mouth opens so that he may breath on Ink. When he arrives in front of Ink again, his magics mix so that he is both alive and dead at once, appearing as a shifting image in between. He faces Ink with the idea that the world is not black and white- there there exists the gray. ]]

img © foter
[Image: siggy1_zpsfwdjquxw.png]
please tag Prometheus in all replies!
magic & force is permitted at your own peril.

Hidden Account
Blu
INK

The being, death, comes towards me. He is so close already I stagger back away from him, inwardly showing my personal conflict remains - I want life! He tries to touch me but I am afraid that even the smallest whisker graze will drop me lifeless. I shy away from him, but am reluctant to go too far, eager to know as much as I am to avoid.

He draws around behind me and my ears flick anxiously as I strain to watch him and keep my head steady. I should not show my fear, he will feast upon it wont he?

When my eye catches him again he is whole now. I start, eyes widening in surprise. How could it be? Is this death disguised as life. Better yet, is death life, is life, death? My head spins and I do but barely register the feel of his horn against my spine, the brush of air upon my side. I had always considered life and death so different, complete opposites like love and hate, but now he's thrust upon me this notion they are ultimately one and the same.

He faces me now and I feel like a quivering colt before an ominous shadow of inevitability. He shows me the two sided coin that he is, one side living, one side dying. I bow my head to him, fore surely I stand in the presence of a god, the god.

You think yourself caught in-between worlds Prometheus, but you are the worlds themselves. There are no sides to this coin after all, it's all the same in the end. Life and death - it doesn't matter it is all existing.

In the end that's all we can hope to do.
We exist.

[closing - 301 words - Ink realizes not only is death inevitable, but that life and death are the same. You cannot have one without the other because they are each other, feeding into one another in constant revolution. He sees this reflected in Prometheus and thinks him a god, but hopes that even the sad god understand his own place in the world. The drawing is not Ink using his magic, just a depiction of the scene within the post.]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
INK v. PROMETHEUS
By my verdict PROMETHEUS is the winner.
INK - POST 1
[+ 3] Prose:
Ink is thoughtful, taking in the wonder of his surroundings. I feel the veil of mystery surrounding Prometheus, and the hesitancy of shy little Ink.
+ 1: emotion
+ 1: flow
+ 1: grammar
[+ 2] Ease of Read:
Easy to read, and I never got lost or confused in your post.
[+ 2] Realism:
+ 1: Ink is very hesistant and doubtful of himself, true to his character.
+ 1: You mention the drag of his inky tail as he walks in the snow, and are mindful of the environment throughout the post.
+ 1: I love that Ink is trying to make friends and prove his worth through drawing.
- 1: I think even with the snow and Prometheus standing downwind there should be some hint that he is an undead colt. Decaying flesh has a pretty strong smell, and horses have an exceedingly good sense of it.

PROMETHEUS - POST 1
[+ 3] Prose:
Prometheus is a very negative mind, I have found. Unlike Ink, whose post is full of doubtful optimism, his wreaks of pessimism and unhappiness. What else can be expected of a zombie? Prometheus is almost cruel in his intent to shatter Ink's hopes, but I feel like it comes from a good place, making him almost not a menacing creature, despite the face value of his actions.
[+ 2] Ease of Read:
Though Prometheus is always written in sort of an odd way, I never had trouble understanding what he is doing in this post. Seems strange to read him without the accompaniment of Pyr now.
[+ 3] Realism:
+ 1: Most importantly, Prometheus does not respond in an aggressive manner, but holds back, which is very much within his personality.
+ 1: Mention of how Ink's ink reminds him of the spoiled blood that he is used to seeing in himself - sort of an indirect comparison.
+ 1: Using his magic to shatter Ink's vision of life in such a positive manner. Ink does not really consider death, but seeing a zombie will likely make him remember.

INK - POST 2
[+ 3] Prose:
All I can say about this post is that it is genius from start to finish. I love the parallel you take between Ink's drawings and what is happening within his own mind on the arrival of Prometheus, and the language and chaotic feeling is beautiful.
[+ 2] Ease of Read:
There is a lot of this post that you have to reread to catch, but I would not say it's particularly difficult to read. There are just layers that need to be uncovered.
[+ 4] Realism:
+ 1: Here you clearly get the feel of just how dead Prometheus is in the eyes of Ink, with the smell and generally terrifying appearance.
+ 2: As I mentioned, the parallel between this drawn universe and the thoughts of life and death is brilliant.
+ 1: Ink's flight response at first is typical and realistic, but he also fights off his demons to head back.

PROMETHEUS - POST 2
[+ 3] Prose:
Prometheus has gone from intimidating to almost a reluctant instructor of Ink in this post. It surprised me, at first, but ultimately it fits the situation perfectly. Overall, both Prometheus and Ink and thinkers, so this entire thread has really been a lot of introspection, but I feel that Prometheus projects that introspection better on Ink than vice versa.
[+ 2] Ease of Read:
I understood what Prometheus was trying to do during this entire post.
[+ 4] Realism:
+ 1: Realizing that Ink is mute only after his failed attempt to scream.
+ 1: Relating Ink back to his previous life, making his past relavent to the situation.
+ 1: I think your use of magic to instruct Ink, without using words, is very creative. I feel that Prometheus is communicating with Ink in his terms purposefully.
+ 1: Mention of Ink's drawings and how they influence his actions, which are still creepy.

INK - CLOSING DEFENSE
[+ 1] Realism:
+ 1: Repulsion to touch Prometheus, and also the response of surprise when he sees the full form.
0: The response to Prometheus's magic isn't very well explained, but it's not really farfetched or convoluted either, so I didn't take off.

------------------------------------
BONUS
[- 1]INK:
- 2: Editing your post after your opponent had posted.
+ 1: Parallel structure is something you see very rarely in a roleplay setting, and I honestly can't stress enough how much I enjoyed it.
[+ 1] PROMETHEUS:
+ 1: Prometheus the teacher was a really interesting take on his magic that I did not expect.

------------------------------------
TOTALS
INK: 26
PROMETHEUS: 28