the Rift

[OPEN] Ghost Town

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

As the snow melted away to reveal the beautiful canvas growing beneath the grey could feel the winter blues slipping away with it. Moving around was near impossible when you were buried up to your belly in cold wet snow so it was not hard to imagine why such a period existed in the first place. Being as white as the snow itself it was easy to hide away somewhere so that it was only you and the select few people that you wanted to have around you. With Levex still missing and the thought of her remaining son getting older by the day she was scared that everyone would disappear from her life again. She had spent too much of her early years alone to want to do it all over again but she knew it was only a matter of time until it could be staring her in the face once more. "Why did you have to leave?" She thought silently looking up to the sky wishing that there was a way to reverse death so she might see her parents again.

Her peaceful moment didn't last nearly as long as she would have hoped before her son came sliding up to her asking to go and explore again. Reluctantly agreeing she turned to watch him canter off his step full of excitement and mischief. What was she ever going to do with him she thought shaking her head with a soft chuckle. If only to be that young again and so full of life and energy. Lowering her head to snatch up a mouthful of the green blades she watched her son until he was out of sight before turning to figure out what she was going to do. Wandering along her thoughts went to the latest task that she had been granted by Kahlua. Watching her make all those splendid glass sculptures and creations a few months back had been a learning experience indeed but she still doubted that she could accomplish anything near as good. Glazier... How was she even to go about it? Was there something special that she needed to do or find? Well she imagined that she would need to find some type of items but what exactly? Stones? Pebbles? This was sure going to be an interesting experience for she had no idea what she was doing maybe Kahlua had chosen the wrong person for the job.Continuing along she tried to brainstorm things that she might be good at but came up empty handed. It felt as if she had no talent and no skills how in the world was she going to pull this off?

Picking up the odd items here and there along the way when she finally stopped she had a small collection of odds and ends. Placing them down before her on the ground she nosed through them thoughtfully trying to see something she could make out of them. What could she make out of a few long stems, two large pebbles covered in specks of colour, a few fragrant flowers and a couple shells? Moving them around a couple times to no avail she stomped her hoof in frustration. This was pointless! Sighing heavily she turned away feeling defeated and annoyed at herself for not being more useful to the herd. Defeated by a bunch of stupid stones... this was a whole new low for her she thought in total exasperation. Maybe she would try again later if she managed to come up with some kind of idea but right now she was fed up.

@[Kaj]
Image Credits
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

The kings knowledge of his members had always been rather good, but when he and Kahlua had spoken of a new glazier, he had been affronted to realize that the one they'd chosen was not one he was overly familiar with. Though he had been consumed by the sudden arrival of the Falls diplomats, and speaking with Archibald thereafter, her name had not truly left his mind. After a short goodbye shared with the mountainous man Kaj could comfortably call brother, the king had left the Dauntless to complete his patrol and turned to find Kahlua once more. Promotions seemed to always be in order, but Kaj was no tyrant, and he would always break words with his Queen before taking control and announcing it.

The forest was full of greenery and new life, and birds hailed his presence as they did to any intruder. Kaj snorted softly in amusement. The thought of Edge denizens being intruders was rather hilarious, considering how long they'd occupied the lands in the first place, but the harmonious music was pleasing to the ears nonetheless. Mighty span of his own wings tucked close to golden sides, careful not to snag the delicate feathers on the errant branches nearby. Inhaling deeply, Kaj enjoyed the new spring smell that touched his nares, and he couldn't help but to let his eyes drift shut, simply enjoying the home he loved so dearly.

Huffed snorting, rather out of place, touched his listeners. A frown of contemplation and curiosity touched his lips, and he opened his eyes, turning his mighty crown towards the sound. Deciding he had nothing better to do, and that he would rather spend time comforting a herdmate than speaking awkwardly with Kahlua, the king easily shifted his weight and turned to pursue the sound.

Nickering softly so as not to disturb or frighten whomever was on the other side of the copse of trees, Kaj gently shouldered past the low evergreen branches and smiled to see a pale vixen staring in frustration at an odd assortment of items. A surge of surprised delight took the King by surprise, Kahlua's rushed explanation of Brisa coming to the forefront of his mind. She matched the description, and he recalled her face from various herd meetings. Chuckling softly at her frustration, he moved closer, azures warm and understanding.

"Having troubles, miss Brisa?" he asked softly as he approached. Would she feel comfortable enough sharing her plight with the king? Or would she be intimidated by his title, as so many others did, only to discover that he was more interested in them personally than their success? It seemed few were not surprised by his gentle nature, and he hoped she would feel he was someone she could share her troubles with.

@[Brisa]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Thinking back to the many times she had observed others creating all these amazing things from everything and anything she tried to remember details. How had they started off their tasks? What did they choose to work with? What else was different from what she had been trying? Kahlua had seemed so at peace when she chose to work with her glass making skills making things appear so simple. The crown, the glass sculptures, the wall... so many things of beauty to show off her talent yet her result was a pile of miscellaneous items with no purpose at all. Who else had she encountered? Well there was that one time when she had been helping Parelia gather some herbs and talking about their uses. Their labours had been worthwhile as in exchange her pegasus friend was able to get wing covers made for her. Dragomir had been the artist behind those but from her recollection she could not remember how he had gone about preparing his items. Magic.. it all had to be magic or something. Her magic wouldn't do much other than ignite any desired items and burn them to a crisp surely nothing that would be useful in this category of work.

The soft melodic tune that played throughout the trees shifted as she stood silently letting the sun warm her pale body. Someone was nearby for the sing song lullabies had turned into surprised squawks and chirps from those paying attention to whatever moved in the underbrush. Tipping her ears towards the approaching party she stood quietly until a soft masculine nicker cut through the rustling of the leaves. Turning to see a golden pegasus break through the treeline she tried to remember where she had seen him before. His face was familiar yet he was still a stranger to her for she could not remember ever having spoken to him before. It had been the herd gatherings she managed to pull his face from and if she was not mistaken this was their king, Kaj.

Surprise flitted through her as she wondered what occasion it must be for their king to appear before her and actually know her name. Uh oh.. had she done something wrong? Aeolus.. surely he wouldn't cause much mischief...right? Nodding politely with a soft smile she pivoted around so that she was facing the pegasus instead of standing with her back to him. " Just things not going the way I had hoped them to." She replied with a faint chuckle at her own failures. Not that her statement was anything more than her life story or anything like that. "Is there something I can help you with?"

Brisa Speaks

Image Credits
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

Dainty head turned his way at the sound of his call, Brisa's body uncoiling and turning to face him properly as Kaj stepped closer to her on large hooves. Surprise ghosted on her face like a wisp, and Kaj smiled gently at her, awaiting the realization to end. He had suspected as such; if Kaj did not know Brisa adequately, it was more than likely that the sentiment was returned. He took a moment to himself to merely observe her, noting the buttermilk of her skin, the iridescent glow of her icy gems. She was undoubtedly beautiful, he noted quietly to himself. But he stopped himself there, nipping the bud before it could even contemplate growing in the distant future. No, even admiring her beauty was dangerous. Kaj's heart had been broken too many times, he could not bear another.

Though her words were smooth, no inflections betraying her saddened paralleled thoughts, Kaj nodded quietly and cast his eyes away. "I understand," he murmured quietly, before idly shaking himself and alighting his gaze upon her once more. Her words prompted a smooth chuckle from the base of his chest, eyes warm and amused. Of course he had been right, she was far too formal in his presence, and Kaj would have to remedy that during their conversation.

"Not at all. Can a king not dawdle through his lands paying beautiful mares attention?" He winked playfully at her, ensuring she understood that the whole thing was a compliment wrapped in a harmless jest. One long wing stretched out towards her odd miscellaneous items, curiosity the next emotion to crumple itself into the lines of his face. "May I ask what you have collected these for?"

@[Brisa]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Speaking to one that you do not know well is like speaking to a rock in a way, or at least thats how she would compare it. Without knowing what type of character each possessed it was impossible to predict how certain conversations would play out. A rock was about as difficult a subject to talk to as a stranger was at times as they commonly left you in the dark wondering one thing or another. To her Kaj was their leader, and from the wings on his back a pegasus but thats where her knowledge of him ended. Others had talked about him from time to time but nothing had ever stuck other than the important facts about him being her superior and all, though this was the case for most of her acquaintances and friends. Being at the absolute bottom of the totem pole was a common occurance in her life and she had gotten used to it over the years. Drifting back from her random thoughts she figured that listening to his words might be of some use instead of letting the voices inside her head fill her ears.

Say what did he just say.. Beautiful? Ha surely he wasn't talking about her... was he? Half blushing for a moment as the harmless compliment passed over she tried to cover up her minute embarrassment with a gentle smile and soft chuckle. Compliments were so far and few between that regardless of how they were said she always seemed to react in the same way. "I guess being King allows you to do whatever you wish." She joked softly in response.

As the King's attention turned towards the random cluster of items she gathered her internal embarrassment scale only deepened. Great now she would get to make the confession that she really had no idea what she was doing. Oh wonderful, she thought silently with a sigh. "These? Well they were supposed to be to create something or another but now I have no idea what they are for." Returning her gaze to her small odds and ends collection she could only shake her head and shrug for she hadn't the smallest idea on what could even be created with them. " I was excited when Kahlua asked me to become a Glazier but now i'm wondering if I was really the right member for the job. I don't have any idea what I am supposed to do and as you can see I am terrible at it."

Brisa Speaks

Image Credits

It was definitely odd to speak with someone he was not as close to, as Kaj was usually close to almost all of his people, and so speaking with them was easy and almost always an enjoyable experience. He merely reminded himself that all his conversations with those close companions had started out this way, and he smiled handsomely and let each word and movement wash over him. He would categorize them later, try and figure out who she was and how she worked later with the memory of her actions fresh in his mind. He swore to get to know her with the same depth he did Evangeline, or Resplendence, or Destrier. It would come in time, he knew, but it was time he would happily spend.

She flusters slightly beneath the weight of his sincere, if playful, compliment. It earns him her laughter, a curl of her lips. That was more than enough payment, and he hoped it would lighten her soul, make her more receptive towards him. Kaj doubted there was anything genuinely frightening in him, any reason to avoid him when it came to friendship, kinship. However, her comment caused a momentary pause in him before he registered that she was joking. Still, he felt inclined to be more truthful, answer her earlier question with a sincere tone rather than a joking one.

"No, I merely do not wish for you nor anyone to feel invisible in the Edge. Even if it means befriending you all myself," he said softly, a smile lilting on the corners of his lips like acrobats, something boyish and sweet, sheepish and shy, dancing in the middle. Would she even be interested in such a companionship? Kaj had met quite a few unwilling souls, not wanting to trust him, to rely on him. It was difficult, and he often felt similarly when it came to handing his heart to others, but he hoped Brisa would not have such reservations.

But at last, he was given a conversation he could happily indulge in, and in a realm he had a lot of experience in; magic. It seemed she was struggling with her new magic, and Kaj laughed softly and moved to her side, careful not to intrude upon her personal space. Frightening her would certainly not aid him in teaching her the ways of crafting and magic. "We were both certain you would do well," he encouraged, not wanting to mar her despair with anything less. "May I help?" he asked, moving towards the collection of odds and ends.

"Your magic stems from darkness, from the Goddess's shadows and starlight. These odds and ends will not become glass, not unless you desire them to. You can craft from nothingness, after all," he clarified from her, his intimacy with the ranks born from his station and seasons assigning others to their jobs. "Try the shadows of the trees. Feel your magic reach out to it, hold an image of what you want in your mind, and try to connect the two beings." It was the best he could do to describe it for her, not without fetching Kahlua.

@[Brisa]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Revealing things about herself was not exactly a strong suit of hers for she had been burned many times in the past from those she had once trusted. There was a fine line between trusting herself and trusting others and to be honest both sides had been difficult for her to accomplish on the best of days. After the catastrophe with everything that had happened with Note she could not trust her judgement or her emotions for both seemed to lead her down unforgiving pathways. His words had reassured her and led her down the path of no return and for what? To use her? To defile her? To make her heart snap into fragments again? Their encounter had taken much from her but had also given her something in which to live for. Without her twins in the equation things very well could have ended in tragedy.

Listening to Kaj speak she was half expecting him to agree with her and dismiss her from her position as Glazier but instead he chose a different route. We were both certain you would do well. Surprised by the confidence their two rulers put behind her she was caught completely off guard. How could someone else have so much faith that she would be good at something when she carried so many doubts in herself? Nodding as Kaj asked if she would like some help she listened intently to everything that he described. This magic was stemmed by darkness and shadows? At first she did not like the sounds of having any dealings with any type of dark magic but as her King continued she tried to accept that she would be using it for good.

"How can someone reach out to it and know that it is what you desire? With my fire magic it seems to come from within yet I still am hesitant to call upon it fearing its ability to destroy. How will I know what I find is really this magic and not something more dangerous?" She inquired quizzically as she tried to get a sense of what might be out there.

@[Kaj]
Brisa Speaks

Image Credits

She was a quiet sort, Brisa. Kaj truly had no room to talk, for though his silence was mostly created by his father, he had carried it for years throughout his life. Though he'd outgrown it, in a lot of ways, he could also remember the comfort that came hand in hand with quietude. Kaj could not condemn the beautiful mare for that, especially when she seemed so continually lonely. The Storm Bringer had seen her about with only her foal, and the thought of yet another mateless mare with a foal to care for in his flock only strengthened his desire to care for the kindly creature shifting beneath his gaze.

Truly Kaj was not the appropriate soul to seek out when it came to magic that was not harmful or destructive. That was exactly what his was, and he came from a land where males were forbidden from ever having magic, even if they were born into it. It was either transferred to a magicless filly, stripped away completely, or, in cases where neither could be achieved, the colt would be killed. Kaj still shuddered to recall those days, the easy compliance he had once lived in, never knowing there was something different outside of those walls.

"They depend on what your thoughts demand," he clarified. "When you reach for your destructive magic, you know what it can do already, you're anticipating what will happen when it's unleashed. So, even subconsciously, you're thinking about what you want to happen. Instead, just consume yourself wholly with what object you want to create, and when you reach for your magic, it will feel different." Shrugging helplessly, the brute smiled sheepishly at the beautiful mare. He was not very good with words when it came to detailing, describing, or helping along a path in a tutorial sort of fashion. Especially when his expertise in the area was sorely lacking.

@[Brisa]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Gazing down to the assortment of objects she had managed to collect she tried to be optimistic that they could form something other than a pile of junk. How could they be formed into something of use when alone they were merely useless items?

Listening as the pegasus spoke once more she lifted her eyes to his as he spoke. It was strange for someone she hardly knew to have confidence in her abilities when there was no telling what she might screw up. So many possibilities, so much responsibility.. Was this something that she was ready for? In the past she had managed to mess up even the simplest tasks. Creating an object out of nothing? Well that seemed almost impossible to the girl who could set herself on fire while managing not to kill herself yet if she tried to light a fire without magic she would burn herself. None of it made sense but then again what about life made sense in the first place?

Focusing on the instructions she had managed to pick out of the stallion's speech the fae placed them all together to make better sense in her own mind. Focus on what you want to create. Well that would be easy if she could imagine something to create in the first place. The second part to this whole concentration aspect was the unreliability of her brain to always assume the worst in a situation. With her luck the whole project would start off decently before blowing up in her face, if it was even possible. Singed hair did not smell nice or look anything other than ugly so hopefully she could manage to avoid that if at all possible. "I think the not knowing portion of that is what I am most afraid of. Things rarely turn out decently when I'm involved. No one has to look too hard to figure that out. All it takes is for others to see me and my son together. They don't have to say anything for I already know I cannot be what he needs me to be." She commented with a smirk. Laughing at her own failures had become easier over the years but it still never changed the fact of them being failures. A mother was supposed to teach their children everything that they needed to know. Yet here she was unable to teach her son how to spread his wings and fly. While he said it didn't matter if he flew or not she could see the disappointment on his face.

Returning her eyes down to her objects she figured that she might as well give this another try instead of facing the rest of her problems. "Focus on what you want to create." Pulling an idea from objects she had seen when she had been a child she drew the image in her mind. While it was simple, it was still complex enough to require her concentration. Closing her eyes for a second to draw her magic towards her she opened them to find silver mist curling around her feet as it slowly moved out to consume the objects as well. Surprised by the sensation she almost let her concentration drop away from the task at hand. In this lapse the mist faded back before thickening once more as her mind refocused its effort onto the object she had in mind. Watching the swirling ball of silver bend and warp before her eyes she was amazed when it finally cleared to reveal the small glass orb laying at her feet. "What the hell...she had really managed to pull it off!"

Lowering her head to examine the object she was pleasently surprised to find the lingering traces of the objects she had chosen. The glass orb was about the size and shape of a walnut and decorated with beautiful swirling blue colours throughout. If you looked close enough you could see the flower petals and slivers of the shells forming the detail. The only deviation in its shape was the curved ring on the top in which the willow stems she had gathered were threaded through to form a loop. Staring at it for a few moments in disbelief she still couldn't quite figure out how it had all happened. "How... did I make that?" She mumbled softly in awe looking to Kaj for some sort of explanation. There was no explosions, no fireballs, no destruction... yet she had managed to make something beautiful.

Brisa Speaks
Object being described is something like this: Orb Pendant

Image Credits

Kaj patiently waited out the tentativeness, the hesitancy that he could see etched and written like sagas into the lines and curves of her features. Just like a baby bird hesitated and gave false starts when it made its first flight out of the nest, it took time to summon up the courage to overcome the fear of a new experience. And so Kaj let her ruminate, percolate, chase her thoughts and the possibilities, the variables, round in circles until she either grew irritated enough to try it out or summoned the courage to go through with it regardless. He had a feeling it wouldn't take long, she seemed to be quite the sensible woman, something he appreciated while he happily lingered in her presence. Yes, they'd certainly made the right choice in promoting her, no matter how she'd attempted to hide in their peripherals when it came to the lineup of candidates.

Still, what he hadn't anticipated was her self-degradation, something he oftentimes turned on himself as well. Kaj stepped firmly towards her, showing his frown plainly, eyes disapproving of this falseness, the lies she told herself until she actually dared to believe them. He would not stand to hear her speak them, not when he already knew within moments of meeting her that they were horrendous lies.

"That is not what I saw when I first laid eyes upon you, miss Brisa," he spoke firmly, allowing absolutely no argument, eyes like flint and ice. "Even at meetings, when I saw you with him, that is never what I thought of you." It infuriated him to think that she actually believed it, in equal amounts that it hurt him. She was so kind, so undeserving of what she'd been clearly handed, and Kaj wanted to simply make it disappear if only to ensure she'd never hold misplaced faith in such things again.

"I saw a loving mother, one who would do anything and everything for her foal. I saw a mare who had been unfairly used by the cruel people of this world, some of them in this herd, but who stood strong in spite of it.
You are everything and more that Aeolus deserves,"
he pressed, wishing he could burn his words into her brain where she could never forget nor deny them. It was the least he could to, for all the loyalty she had given to the Edge, all the time and care she'd put into raising her son. Alone. "If you or Aeolus ever need me, I will put aside whatever I am doing to aid you. No matter how simplistic it may seem." He had a feeling flight lessons were in store, but Kaj had already helped Ilios on that path, and he was comfortable with doing it again for another wayward, fatherless colt. Kaj was a father at heart, after all, and it would be an honor for Brisa to call upon him in her times of trouble and need.

It was what he was there for, after all.

Moments later, she had closed her eyes, and Kaj watched with pride and a knowing look in his eyes as the mists drew close, the shadows lengthened. And just as the armor he wore from Kahlua had appeared, so did her new creation. It was beautiful, intricate and detailed beyond what Kaj had imagined possible. But nonetheless it was gorgeous, and he gasped softly to see it when he moved forth to inspect it on her behalf. Her uttered words made him chuckle softly, warm eyes moving to rove over her frame.

"Why your new magic of course," he teased softly, knowing the words were uttered more out of shock than real lack of knowledge. "I was confident you could do it. It is truly beautiful, miss Brisa." Leaning down he clasped it between his teeth, careful of the chain even when he knew the glass was tempered, practically unbreakable even in Brisa's inexperience. He proffered it to the mare, flicking his ears uselessly in his silence, wondering if she would understand and tilt her head to allow him to place it upon her. Should she want it for herself, of course. But it was a symbol of her first endeavor as a glazier, surely she would want the memento for herself?

@[Brisa]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

So many years of negative impacts and outcomes had warped the mare's mind to operate on a different viewpoint than most others. Having expected the better outcomes in her earlier years only to be sorely disappointed in the end she found it easier to cope while thinking the opposite. If she went about thinking of the worst possible scenarios/outcomes then at least she would never be disappointed, even vaguely surprised in some cases. It had become her coping strategy for so long it made it difficult to twist her mind into believing that good things could actually happen.

Few had ever managed to see beneath the mask that she had transfixed before her so it was a surprise when she looked up to see Kaj turn stoney faced in response to her warped perspective on life. "You are everything and more that Aeolus deserves." Flicking her ears to the side as a torrent of emotions churned deep within her gut she was at a loss of what to say. She had never been able to come to terms with failing her boys with her lack of knowledge and instability of a broken family. When their father had left it had always occurred to her that it had been something that she had done wrong to make him leave. It had been her stupidity that had gotten her into that situation and left her colts without a father in their life. Half shaking her head she tried to come up with words to make Kaj understand her faults in all this. How hadn't she failed, Levex was gone... she had failed to keep him safe when it mattered most. "Aeolus deserved to grow up with his brother by his side and someone he could look up to. I failed to keep Levex safe and now he is gone..." She replied softly, her words sounding hollow and strained.

When she finally managed to gather the courage to lift her eyes from where they had settled at her feet she found Kaj still there beside her. "I'm sorry. Its just been hard trying to do this all on my own and not having any idea what i'm doing. There is only so much I can teach him and it never feels like enough."

Despite her self doubt in all of this she was grateful for his kind words of encouragement and just the notion of being there for them when nobody else was. "Thank you. It means a lot to know that." She finally said after the lingering sadness had faded away once more.

It was at this time that the thrill of her successful crafting attempt once again helped to lighten her mood as her eyes fell on the glass trinket. Admiring it as she watched the light catch each and every colour she couldn't help but be pleasantly surprised. Well there was a first time for everything and there was no telling what else she might be able to make with practice. As Kaj held it out to her she found herself taking a tiny step back shaking her head ever so slightly. "I want you to keep it. It can be my gift to you." It felt like the right choice to make as it had been only because of him and Kahlua that she had been able to create something like this in the first place. Later she would have to craft something for Kahlua as well but this was a good start and it had the bonus of not being hideous. "If you would accept it that is."

@[Kaj]

Brisa Speaks

Image Credits

She balked, seemingly, at the words he pressed stubbornly upon her ears. She was deserving and more of all the wonders and gifts in the world, in Kaj's eyes. To see Brisa place the pain of another's faults upon herself was nearly too much to bear. To know that he could have prevented it, had he sought her out and gotten to know her sooner, was yet another knife to the base of his spine. The guilt permeated through him, little though he could do about it in the present moment. Kaj had always sought to know his brethren better, and to see his failure written in the lines of her beautiful face and the shadows that danced in her eyes was as painful for her as it was for him. He wondered if it was too late to save her, to bring her to his side, beneath his wing, as he had done for so many others. He prayed it was not, for she did not deserve all that life had already given someone as kind and as pure as she.

Each word inspired a bit of fire in the breast of the old king, and he let his eyes fall upon her like a stone, concentrated and heavy. Aniela had not deserved the fate she'd been given, and Kaj couldn't keep her safe either. But he still believed that in the end she loved him, that he had been good for her in what little life she'd had. "He can look up to you," he stressed, moving forward in an aborted movement as if to grasp and shake her, desperate to let the knowledge sink into her head. "It is not your fault alone that Levex left. If you need anyone to blame, then blame me." Icy eyes burned down into her, wondering if she was too used to hating herself to even contemplate doing as he asked. "My borders didn't keep him safe. I didn't keep him safe. As King, I should have been more aware." Were she to reject his manner of thinking, it would only give him more reason to add to his defense of her. If she couldn't blame him, then she couldn't blame herself either.

"Your mate should have been there. Their father should have helped you. It never should have been you who took the blame," vocals carried on, softer this tame than previously. He needed to push her just as equally as he needed to comfort her. It was one of the few things Kaj hoped he was good at, one of the reasons why his people sought to follow him, believe in him. Whether or not he was deserving of that kind of loyalty...Kaj had yet to figure out an answer to that particular question, despite its constant needling of him.

Her apology caused an odd sort of cooing sound to rise within his breast, a rumbling offering of placating tones. "You never need to apologize to me." Mighty head turned toward her, offering his muzzle should she desire a comforting touch. He was there for her, if she needed him. "But you don't have to do this alone. I've failed you, Brisa. But I shall not do it again." Shaking himself Kaj offered a smile to the lass, wings collecting majestically at his sides. "If you ever need me, for anything even just giving yourself time alone, you merely need to call on me." The sunlit stallion prayed she'd take him up on his offer, if only because it would be a form of redemption, for how he felt he'd failed her in the past.

They are distracted but her success, and Kaj stared down at the trinket as it formed, still taken back by its beauty and simplicity. It felt strong in his teeth as he held it out to her, but it was undoubtedly precious nonetheless. Her words made him smile so widely he nearly dropped the newly crafted object, but he managed to wriggle his nose into it and settle it down around his neck. Neck craned and head bowed to press his nose to it where it sat against his breast, delighting in the new fixture. A trinket, but so much more than a piece of jewelry. A symbol of this day, of what Kaj hoped was a budding friendship. "I will treasure it forever," he whispered, eyes alight with joy as he lifted his gaze to the pale mare before him.

@[Brisa]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Thinking back on all the regrets she carried along with her there were many that she would gladly take back if she could. Then there were others that she would not change for the world. Giving life to her twins was one of them for it had given so much to her in return. "I would give anything to change that night Levex disappeared." Her voice was merely a whisper but grew as she continued to talk. "Their father had seemed different back then... but then again if I hadn't been so blinded I would have seen him for the stallion he truly was. He was no different from the rest, I should have known better. He didn't hurt me like the others.. but took what no other had managed to strip from me. I had trusted him..." She wasn't sure where the words had come from but she felt the need to try and explain. Perhaps she would never be able to accurately explain it all but she could try.

"You are not to blame for Levex's disappearance. You were not the one who was supposed to be watching him. I was. Maybe if I was a better mother he would still be here today where he belongs with his brother." Her reply to this portion of the conversation was likely late but she could not just forgive herself. It was easy for others to say that it was not her fault but when it boiled down to it there was no one else to blame. If she had not suucumb to sleep then there would be a good chance that she could have prevented the whole disaster from ever occurring. Reliving the memory was painful and only deepened the cracks that threatened to shatter her heart. Her King did not deserve to see her like that. Broken to the point of despair and unable to hold back the raging storm. Fighting back was something she owed to Aeolus and no matter how much it hurt she could not give in.

Taking a shaky breath to steady herself once again she managed to keep herself from falling apart. The reality was hard to face but in theory she was supposed to know what to do. One of the things she was most grateful for was that none of her previous pregnancies had ever stuck. Stallions would rape her and leave not caring to deal with any repercussions of their actions. Somewhere in her genetics there was supposed to be some hardwired code telling her how to deal with it all. Kaj knew nothing of her past history so she couldn't expect him to know how much this all affected her deep down. Letting it all go was impossible. Taking one step at a time was the only solution.

It was a rare moment to watch with pride as her gift was accepted to one that had tried to help her in so many ways. Why she took more pride in seeing others happy rather than herself, she would never know. Her own happiness did not matter to her as much as it should likely due to having given up on the idea long ago. Each day was easier when it involved making someone else happy for a change. That light that swept into their eyes and the warmth was enough to keep her moving forward in the right direction. "I'm glad that you like it." She replied gently with a smile as she watched the light sparkle as it hit the pendant. Her eyes were not oblivious to the beautiful creature modeling it but she knew better than to dream of things she could never hope to have.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @[Kaj] •• NOTES: ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
Picture Credits: Here