the Rift

[PRIVATE] !! And Getting Hit by Thunder

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She was angry. She was beyond angry. She couldn't believe that he still thought she believed herself to be useless. And, while she stood there - staring at him, all that she could do was try and get rid of the desire to yell at him. Except, she couldn't. Valiance couldn't. Neither of them could get rid of the hatred that was coursing through their veins. She snorts. If he had blinded him, other things placed in front of her? She should be backing away. She should be profusely apologizing for not being able to control her companion, but at this point she didn't care because her and her companion were one in the same. "I would never have let him go into the fight if I didn't think he could handle it. The point of this was to fight. The point of this was to make me fight. And if I'd had the ability to shoot flames at you I would have. I'm tired of this Kaj. I'm tired of you thinking I can't do anything. If this hadn't been a fighting situation I'd understand this chastising. I'd understand this 'you can do better and be better' except for the fact that it WAS a fighting situation. You want me to be strong? Goddammit, Kaj. Valiance knew I wanted a distraction. Valiance knew I needed time. You can't tell me that his flames did not give me the chances to recuperate that would have left me open to a kill if he hadn't. I'm so damn tired." She hisses, ear pinning back for a second as she finishes before it lifts up once more, eyes taking in his wounds and gritting her teeth. Perhaps she wouldn't have asked Valiance to take it as far as he had, but that was beside the point. He was degrading her as he seemed to enjoy doing lately and she was done with being shoved down to the bottom. She was finished with always being the one thing that came last. He wanted to see her strong, bless her soul, she would be strong and throw off the chains of her manners that she usually tried to have. No more apologies. No more trying to make up for how harmful Valiance's fire actually was. No more making up for the fact that she was scared which was an offset to new people she hadn't met. She wouldn't apologize for who she was anymore - not to him, not right now.

She stands up a little taller, wincing as she places even weight on her fractured limb. She doesn't care. She'll take the pain. She grits her teeth for a second, pinning her ear as Valiance lashes his tail back and forth in annoyance. "Stop acting like I'm useless! Stop acting like I break too easily! Stop thinking that I can't do anything for myself!" She says, starting off at a normal speech level only to have it escalate into a yell. She snorts, nostrils flaring as she tries to shift her weight, her back sore and her limb screaming in pain - but she deserved it so she would deal with it. "I'm tired of trying to be strong and everyone treating me like I'm breaking even more because I'm actually trying. You say I'm not useless but you strip me of the one position that gave me some use." She's still yelling, moving forward with her head high, tail mimicking Valiance's lashes. "If I'm really as useless as you all think than I deserve to be beat into some kind of submission. I deserve to feel this pain, because apparently that's all I've ever caused anyone else."

She snaps. There aren't even tears. There isn't sadness. No. It's all anger. It's all hate. It's directed at the world around her. She doesn't care that Kaj is a giant compared to her. She doesn't care that he somehow managed to conjure up an electrical storm before her eyes. She. Doesn't. Care. If he was still a brother to her he wouldn't hurt her now for speaking up, for finally gaining a back-bone and lashing out.

"So what if I'm afraid of my own damn shadow. So what if I think every damn unicorn is going to eat us. So what if I think the Grey is slowly taking over another one of my homes. It doesn't matter. And you want to know why it doesn't matter. Because you and Kahlua don't think I serve any damn purpose in your lives anymore." She hisses, she bites at the air, trying to place the bared teeth inches from his face. "You didn't even have the decency to pull me aside before you ripped my position for me. You've never had the decency to ask what plagues me at night, to come in and check on me. You just saw me hiding, thinking that I couldn't handle things anymore and you stripped me of the one thing that was making me strong, that gave me a purpose to live."

So she backs away, gasping for air as she puts all of her weight on her fractured limb to do so. "If it hadn't been for Alysanne finding me after that meeting I might not even be here, I might not be alive. She's the only one who's cared lately! The only one!" And her voice finally breaks, Valiance still lashing his tail from his position atop her poll. He wouldn't interfere just yet, not when she was finally speaking her mind. "Quilyan is gone. Lost somewhere and I can't find him. Everyone that was my family from the old Edge is gone. The two who I considered a brother and a sister won't talk to me, and now you're telling me that I should stop telling myself I'm useless?! Well welcome to reality Kaj. I stopped that a while ago. I stopped that around the time that magic island came to the sky. I thought I'd found a purpose, and I was starting to figure out what happiness was. And you took it away from me." She stops, holding in a breath as she drops her gaze - unable to look at his mohawk and singed hide. "I thought you were my brother and you did the one blow that a family member wouldn't have done without warning. And now you want me to chastise Valiance even more, outloud to you to appease you because he singed your back? Because you got a mohawk? Because this could have been some helpless creature? I wouldn't be fighting if it were a helpless creature. I wouldn't be fighting if it were Kahlua or Nayati or Alysanne. I wouldn't be doing this, and I wouldn't have allowed Valiance to do this if it was someone who couldn't fight."

She hissed, tears brimming at her eyes that she refused to let fall. She would not cry. She would not cry. She was tired of being pushed aside to be useless once more. She was too tired of always being meek, of always being afraid to do this. And, when she knew she was safe to come out of her shell (or at least hoped she was safe) she was going to do it. Because keeping it in was just as exhausting as letting it out…

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Kaj

comets fell from the sky,
I took your breath, you took my sorrow

He suffers through her anger quietly, irritation a jolt of tension in the thick of his jaw but nothing else. So many of her facts are wrong, and his reactions leap to the back of his throat readily, but he keeps them quiet and contained until she is puffing and furious, but silent once more. His voice rises then, in counterpoint, a deep rumbling that precedes the storm of his own irritation. His pride is moved aside to give room to his own anger, and though it is cathartic to set it free, and he knows they both need it, the guilt must also be set temporarily aside.

"Leave you open for a kill I would not have made? You think trying to kill or maim your opponent is okay?" he is so astounded by her lack of care that he merely stares at her, truly aghast and disgusted by the notion. Shaking his head in disappointment, he continued. "A respite? Yes. But do not lie to me, Resplendence, for you were screaming his name and demanding he stop. A respite I could have accepted, but not the possibility of him blinding me for life just because he stupidly thought I would actually seriously hurt you," he snapped harshly, trying to get it through her thick skull just how badly everything could have turned out. Did she not see how she'd lost control of Valiance? Kaj did not think of companions as subservient, or to be commanded around, but they should be punished for such things just as children should in his opinion. He should not be rewarded for nearly stripping Kaj of his entire life and ability to defend himself.

Did she truly think he thought her useless? His anger only boiled and bubbled, growing beneath the massive cavity his chest supplied. Nostrils flared and he glared at her, trying still to keep his tongue in check. "I don't think you're useless, Resplendence," he snapped in frustration, just as he had on the battlefield. "I think you are a brilliant herbologist, an even better gardener, and an extraordinary medic regardless of the magic the land gives you. Of course I consider you to be breakable, I care for you, of course I'm going to worry! Especially when you're still growing, you're not whole yet and you know it!" A part of him was furiously proud that she was actually yelling, actually standing up and talking back. The other part was disgusted by her excuses, and the archaic part of him demand he put her in her place. He was at war with himself just as he was at war with her.

"You were stripped of your title because you disappeared! You were gone, you left, and nobody knew if you would bother to return!" That was a fierce point of anger with him, and she had crossed a line by bringing it up and throwing it in his face, when he was looking after his herd as he should have. "I would not stand by while my people hurt because of your selfishness! Our ranks change based on who is there, on who deserves them! You abandoned the herd, your title, me! You didn't deserve it then, and I couldn't find you to ask why, or to prepare you!" His mohawk must give him the distinct expression of a bristling cat, which was likely the best description of his emotions and state of mind anyways.

Electricity began to buzz around him in his anger, and he was blind to it, his emotions so out of control it began zapping through the strands of his newly burnt hair while Resplendence idiotically continued to defend nearly sending Kaj to his death by taking away his vision and flight. "You are such an idiot!" he screamed in frustration, eyes seeming to glow with the force of his budding magic. "I don't care if you do it in front of me! What if you had been fighting Nayati, and she accidentally did the same damn thing to your leg? What if Valiance blinded your little girl? What if he burnt her beyond recognition? I don't give a damn if it was me! Because this is so much more than you are thinking it is, Resplendence!" How dare she say it wouldn't have happened in another spar? They were having a spar when it had happened!

"I won't forgive him, nor you. You could have sent me to my death, Resplendence. I wouldn't be able to lead, or fly, or see. I would have been crippled, and you don't even fucking care that it was Valiance who could have done that! What kind of healer would say that?!" His magic snapped and buzzed ominously, but he forcibly kicked it down and away until the blue of it dulled and began to disappear.

Frustrated, he stomped hard on the ground of the Veins, rocks scattering beneath the force of it. "I was going to promote you after our spar, but now you're showing that I shouldn't! How could you have so little care when you could have done that to your daughter, to your friends?!" He was half tempted to retract the offer completely, should she continue to be so blind to what she had almost done, but the future was foggy to him as it should be. They would just have to see.

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

The anger was bubbling out. She'd had her chance to scream, to yell, to throw a tantrum. He asks questions, as if he were stunned she could think he would do that. And, though her words didn't tremble her mind was spinning. "I think getting out alive is okay…" she said, not yelling, not pushing - choking back a few words as he says not to lie. Snapping, yelling at her because she didn't have control. But how was she supposed to have control when all anyone had taught her was to hide, not to press for what she needed. Her breath shudders and her gaze flickers between him and Valiance. "Anyone could actually seriously hurt me Kaj. Anyone." she whispered, fighting back the tears that were now beginning to brim and shoving them away to continue on.

He said he didn't think she was useless and all she could do was swallow. "Then why does everyone act like it?" she whispers under her breath as he snaps before saying that she was brilliant. "I'm never going to be whole. But I've accepted it. I've accepted this shattered portion of my heart that can't be fixed. No one can replace the twins and mate I lost to wolves - no one. And no one can understand it unless they also watched it happen - watched another dear friend not long after get killed before their eyes," she shudders before snapping - going off about how he didn't seem to care, not in the least.

He wants her to be strong? But as she speaks up he shoots her down. It makes perfect sense. Go shove her back into her attic. Cinder-ellie. Don't see her. Don't hear her. Just use her to make the Edge look better. "There were times after Kaj! You could have asked after! You could have tried!" Her voice choked, her body trembling as the memories of dark days swarmed her cranium again. She would have jumped off that cliff near her garden. She would have poisoned herself, let him found her curled up under her canopy - appearing peaceful but dead if Alysanne hadn't forced her out. And even if they had found her when she was alive, no one would know which herbs to use to save her. They'd have to watch her splutter, choke, and die.

But the electricity was back. And her ear now pinned in concern for her own safety. Yea. She wasn't his sister anymore, she was some disrespectful little runt that was going to be kicked even farther away. He calls her an idiot. He places Nayati in front of her and she breaks. Whatever was left of her strong demeanor shattered. But it is Valiance who realizes how badly he's wronged her before she can even do anything. He lifts off of her back, clicking to Kaj in a sorrowful song before diving straight for a rock. "Valiance… What are you doing?!" she screams in her head and the response gathered before he pummeled straight into the rock just hard enough to bruise his flesh, and crack a bone in his leg was "Deserve pain. Did wrong. Punishing self." She lunges forward, too late, slipping and yelping in pain both from the pain radiating through the bond of his broken bone and from the fracture she worsened in the process.

She gives up. She can't be strong. There's no more forgiveness. There's no more care. He's foreign. He's not her brother anymore. He's some ominous figure who could smash her under that hoof, and she can't look at him anymore. She carefully collects her companion, dropping to her knees to wrap him in some sort of cocoon and protect him from the world. She hums, in a complete panic, trying to keep Valiance comforted and to center herself before she spoke. "I don't want them hurt. I don't want anyone hurt. I don't even want to fight," she chokes, eyes squeezed shut as she keeps her maw pressed to Valiance's breast, the little dragon still beating himself up on the inside or putting her in this position. "Valiance wanted me to learn, to prove I was strong. Fighting was the only way I thought I could make you see I was stronger… that I had a use," she shudders, whole body shaking again as she deals with the onslaught of pain attacking her senses.

She swallows, and allows the harsh truth to fall from her lips, eyes opening to look at Kaj directly. "I only fight when I want to die and I'm willing to fade." There's a sick grin on her face as she lets out some dry laugh that doesn't even fit the situation. "I only fought in the invasion because I thought we were going to lose, my family was going to die, and I didn't want to be there when they weren't there. I fought today to try and show that I was strong, yes, but also to get the pain that I deserved for hiding in the shadows and leaving the family because I was locked in place because of nightmares. If my daughter wanted to fight I wouldn't do it. I would refuse. I would be refusing to fight. I'd rather have her beat me, kick me, injure me then hurt her back. And I'm make Valiance promise not to do anything." There is a gentle click from Valiance, in agreement. "I-I didn't want to hurt you. But… I… I don't know how… It's not like Mirage is here to explain how one teaches a companion to always listen. I've scolded him before. It works, for a little while, and then it stops because there's more danger." she swallows, thickly, the guilt of the whole situation as she scoops Valiance up - just barely balancing his large form on her forehead before placing him upon her back, where he curled up, shaking in pain that he had inflicted upon himself.

"I get it. I'm not worthy - I guess I never have been. You know, I could have left - Kaj." She chokes out, crawling to her feet and letting out a small yelp in the process as she places weight on her left fore. She turns, to face the Edge, starting to walk. But, before she goes too far, she turns her head back around and stands in place, trembling - back still too him in uncertainty. "The Moon Goddess told me that if I wanted healing magic that couldn't be taken from me… She told me that I had to leave the Edge." She breaks, tears falling now. "But I couldn't leave you all. I couldn't leave my family out to dry when we were in the caves, when we were struggling to reunite." she swallows, still talking through the tears. "I couldn't leave you. And I never left. I hid in the shadows, but I never left," Her head goes back to the face the Edge, tears still falling and she's not sure she wants him to see. "Maybe the care was misplaced. I'll never live up to what any of you all want. There will always be someone better. But at the same time, no one else will take me in and I can't survive on my own…"

She breaks, sides heaving as she lets out a sob. "All I've ever cared about was healing. That's all. It's the only thing I can do, and I don't want to let others die in front of me," she says, trying to move forward only to step strange again and collapse once more, another scream escaping her maw as she allows her body to tumble, Valiance managing to lift to the sky just fast enough to not get trapped under her, before landing and curling up on her side as she lays there defeated.

Be strong? Yea, let's cut her down. She's not useless? Well everything you say seems to prove that she is.

It's a wonderful cycle that just doesn't end….

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Kaj

Beneath the weight of her idiocy and carelessness he snarls, teeth bared and sneering, secretly disoriented by her lack of caring. "If it had landed, how are you to know I could have walked out alive?" he spat back at her. "Or do you care so little of me now for my crimes?" His heart hurt with equal parts rage and wounded love, both displayed in the guileless blues of his gaze, burning down upon her like a righteous god. "It was a spar Resplendence. If anyone deemed to genuinely hurt you during one, I would challenge them. I would exile them!" he exclaimed in frustration, wings rushing to his sides and moving with rustling discomfiture. Would she continue to press her innocence, her lack of guilt? When she could have killed or maimed forever one of her herdmates?

A mighty shake of his head and a grunt of frustration escaped his pale whiskers at her whispered, pitiful words. Where once he would have crooned and taken sympathy, he was instead irritated and at the end of his rather lengthy patience. "You ask why nobody acts like that, then continue to go on and degrade yourself, which doesn't inspire trust in your words that you are not broken and useless. I have relied upon you time and again for your knowledge, your healing. I have encouraged you to spar and grow stronger, have taken the time to do so myself because I thought our bond would spare you the fear of the encounter. Tell me, Resplendence, how does that show you that I think you useless?" Where once he would have lovingly called her aardbei, called her any manner of nicknames and endearments out of love for her, he instead sharpened very syllable of her name to cut into the defenses she thrust up in her guilt, wanting it to sink deep into her mind and mean something other than wasted breath on his part.

Her choked sobs do nothing in the face of her words, and he gave a muffled scream of frustration. "You are not the center of my world, Resplendence! All I knew was that you had abandoned me and your herd, I didn't even know you had returned until the meeting! I was securing alliances, traveling all across Helovia to the Throat and the Basin and the Falls. I was sparring, promoting, directing, ordering. Patrolling. Getting my heart broken by a thousand mares, including you!" he bristled, words uncontrolled, full of fire and venom and hurt. She had wounded the normally gentle giant, in the place he often showed too clearly, the one he had trusted her with. His heart.

"I could not seek you out because I had no time, no reason to believe you had even returned. Had I caught sight of hide or hair from you in the forests prior to the meeting, I would have. But I cannot crawl to you in every moment of weakness, Resplendence. I wish I could," he agonized, eyes bright with pain and sincerity. For she meant so much to him, and thus her grievances had cast upon him an even sharper, deeper sting of the dagger than any other who had betrayed him in her absence. "I wish I could, but I can't, because so many more than just you need my shoulder to lean on," he whispered, tormented with the weight of his awareness of that fact. It kept him up some nights, wondering if he was strong enough to bear the weight of his family forever, continuously, and still inspire trust and love in their hearts for him and their land. Gazing at Resplendence, he wondered if he had already failed in that endeavor.

Valiance's movement causes him to cringe and tense, only for him to utter a noise of shock and denial as the winged beast crashed himself upon the earth and gave a horrid noise of pain. "Valiance!" he cried, feeling his heart lurch. He had never wanted the dragon to hurt himself, only to realize that his actions had been wrong. Why did everyone have to demonize Kaj? Why was he always the bad guy, the enforcer, where Kahlua was the motherly one that everyone ran to when he was being unfair? Couldn't they see he just wanted them to work in tandem, that he wanted them all safe and strong? Because he couldn't always be there, he was not omnipresent, and someday he could likely fall in battle and they would have to move on without him. Why couldn't they SEE?

Resplendence scrambled to lift him, and Kaj stared hard at the ground, not wanting to meet her eyes for fear that she would blame him for that, too. She speaks in a warble and he sighs, mighty shoulders sagging until he is but a punching bag for her to exercise her frustration upon, misplaced though it may have been. "I am not some mindless beast who finds honor and strength only in those competent in battle," he sighed, eyes blank beneath her wavering tone. "I respected you for your wisdom of herbs, your talent with healing, your perseverance in recruiting more souls for our family. You never needed to prove to me anything, aardbei," he whispered, lifting his eyes to try and find hers. "Never." Would she even care to listen to his pleas and assurances? Or would she label him a demon, a devil, and cast him away without listening to his side of the story?

"I have no companion to know the frustration of their independence," he agreed, Mirage coming into their conversation like a snap of a whip upon his soul, far more painful. "No, I'm not Mirage. I'm sorry that I fail to meet up to her prowess in your eyes," he grunted softly, trying to keep the rawness of that wound from her awareness. "Archibald is a fine soldier with a companion far older than Valiance. You could seek his counsel. Quilyan has a companion as well, and they work together quite well. Lakota and Ktulu and their bears. Parelia and her falcon. Evangeline and Tallis, perhaps, would have been the best. Had you wanted it, you could have sought it, or even told me you desired it so I could have helped you." So many had companions in the Edge, and yet she chose to bring Mirage up in their argument, wounding Kaj and defeating what little spirit he had left concerning their misgivings.

So when she brought up leaving, when she placed upon herself even less worth, Kaj merely snorted and stared at her. "Really? Really, Resplendence? After all I have told you, today and all these past seasons, you think you cannot be good enough in my eyes?" He was genuinely stumped by that, if it were to be true. Scoffing he shook his mighty crown. "If you think that, then there is nothing I can do!" he barked, frustration giving a valiant effort against the tidal wave of his own emotional exhaustion. "If you can't open your eyes and see that, then you have no right to place this blame upon me. Because I have always told you that you were strong, that you didn't need to fight to be worthy. It is you who is holding yourself back, not me," his tail whipped against his hocks to underline that statement, frustrated with the fact that she would never listen. If she couldn't, then he'd never make any progress, and she'd just end up killing herself in her own stubbornness. "You'll kill yourself regardless with your own stubborn desire to not be perfect, and there will be nothing I can do," he pressed, voice strained with the mere thought of her killing herself. But if she did, there would have been nothing he could have done to stop her, because she would never believe his words nor put any value in them.

She steps forward only to crumple with a scream that makes him wince, and he tiredly moves to kneel beside her, keeping his wing close instead of casting it over her, not wanting to frighten her again supposedly. "I can't do for you what you won't allow, aardbei," he murmured, staring at the ground, not knowing whether to help her up or leave her be. "What do you even want from me? I tell you that you're strong and worthy, and yet you never believe me. I try to help you be stronger by sparring, and you hate me for accidentally hurting you too much. I try to return to you your title, and you only hate me for taking it in the first place. What more can I do? I don't know what you want me to do anymore," he confessed, feeling tired to his bones. "Maybe I ought to kill myself, at this rate," he snorted softly, scarily serious. "I seem to do only harm to you and the Edge. I can only take so much of your hateful words without believing them as well. Perhaps you have a point," he chuckled mirthlessly. "At least you will have a purpose, when Kahlua promotes you. What does a lead truly do? Nothing, that's what," he murmured.

"If you all truly despise me this much, perhaps it would be better if I left."

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

She breaks. What little anger is left dissipates into the air as he questions if she even cares about him anymore. "I-I." she starts, choking on her words as the rage completely disappears and tears fall. "If it had killed you I would have killed myself." she whispers, shaking her head before managing to peer up and look at him, hurt and betrayal lingering but pain shining through at the fact that she had hurt him so much. "You are the world for me… you're one of the only things I have left…" she breaks, voice stopping for a moment as she blinks away the tears, "I care for you as much as I care for Quil. I care so much it hurts." she whispers before he goes off about the spar, saying that if someone was trying to hurt her that he would have challenged or exiled them. Frustration evident on his tone as she whispers, "I didn't know you cared that much…"

She falls quiet, mind racing with uncertainty as he actually tossed logic in to the frayed mind that wanted everyone to stop treating her like a porcelain doll. "It-it doesn't." she whispers, head falling and ear falling to the side in dismay before shuffling her limbs, doing all she could to get the weight off of her left fore. She chokes, trying to find words to explain it. "I just. I feel like no one cares about me anymore… my family left - abandoned me - and it's because I failed them. Because I realized I wasn't useless too late so they left." Her body bristles, pain evident as she stumbles over the words, choking on sobs as he continues on giving all of the duties that he had to do.

"I know I'm not supposed to be…" she chokes, trying to find the strength inside of herself to be this vulnerable, to truly break down - but not because of fear, because of all the pain inside. She knew how to be vulnerable for fear, she'd just never been vulnerable enough to show the wide array of emotions that spread across her soul trying to patch her up. "I didn't want to be the center. I didn't want to break your heart. But I thought you knew me better… I thought you'd have found me. I thought since you were there physically you would have come…" she shudders, eyes brimming wit fear as he said he had no time and no reason to think she was back. Saying he wished he could but that others needed him as well. "You're all I have left. I don't want you every second. But most of those I considered a family… they're gone, Kaj. They disappeared in the darkness, or soon there after. I just…" she can't keep speaking. Her voice croaking before Valiance moves, slamming himself into a rock.

It's Kaj's voice that manages to scream for him outloud because hers was trapped in her head. She breaks, struggling to explain why she had been trying so hard, trying to protect Valiance, to ease his pain that he had inflicted upon himself because he had failed Resplendence so many times and just now realized it. And Kaj said that she didn't have to prove herself. A pain crosses her eyes along with a light of understanding. "I… I didn't know…" she cries a little, done with fighting - done with trying to prove herself. "I thought I had to… I've never… All I've ever seen is people proving themselves by doing things those they cared about did…" she chokes, body shuddering as her eyes flicker toward him.

The conversation moved onto companions and he starts to blame himself. She shakes her head. "I don't expect you to be Mirage! I don't expect anyone to!" she cries, before he starts to list off those with companions. All of them people she didn't trust except for Quil who had disappeared. "I don't trust them. And Quilyan is gone. Quilyan has been gone for almost as long as I've been hiding - he's been gone since I realized that I couldn't quite keep Valiance under control." she whispers, Valiance letting out a weak click of an apology. Her voice wavers as she looks to him, "And I didn't want to bother you… with something to so futile," a break, "Not when you have so many new members to learn of, to care for…"

Was it bad? Was it bad that she just wanted Mirage back? She wanted Kaj to be Captain, Kahlua to be Glazier, and Quilyan as Spector and for them to be the united Council? She wanted it all back. She wanted the pain to go away. She explains how she could have left and then she sighed unable to say anything else. She goes to move, to turn around and apologize but she falls. Her body crumples, pleading with the world that she only wants to heal, that she can't let someone else die in front of her.

And at her scream, he comes to her side. But he doesn't wrap his wing around her like he used to. Comforting words at first and then a confusing babble. She shudders, pushing herself in closer with her good limbs, teeth trying to tug his wing over her as she squeezes her eyes shut. Part of her wishes this was Quilyan who was cradling her - at least then he would be back. But she knows it's not true, and she's starting to accept that maybe he won't return. It's only when he speaks of the suicide that had been plaguing her for so long in his own words that she shatters completely, giving up on trying to tug his wing over and instead trying to press her maw against his cheek. "I don't hate you. I can't hate you. You're my brother… you're a part of my heart. I just…" she breaks, unable to figure out how to word this in a way that would make sense. "I've never been able to yell - to feel like I had the right to be angry. Kaj. You made me realize I could… You have a purpose. You have a purpose, and it's to help others be what they need by leading a peaceful home. No one can replace Mirage… but no one would have been able to take her mantle and keep what little was left thriving." Her heart breaks and he says that if she despises him this much he should leave.

She panics, staring at him. "I don't despise you… Please Kaj. I just want to be physically strong. I want to be looked at as if I could do anything." there is a sigh before she drops her head, Valiance curling up against her chest on the ground and nursing his wounds. "I don't blame you for the leg injury, I don't blame you for Valiance hurting himself. I don't blame you for taking the title. I blame myself for being unable to find the strength to keep all of them in my grasp. And I hate the world for taking the few things that had given me strength away from me when I needed them most."

She closes her eyes, trembling a little as the adrenaline wears off and all of the pain fully takes its toll. "I wanted a family… I was going to tell Quilyan I wanted a family, another child… and he left. I never got to tell him… Do you think he'll come back? Do you think he even cares? Was I… was I just some toy to him?" The truth of her pain… it makes its way to the surface. It was all because Quil was gone. All of this hate… it was because her own sense of strength had been connected to him for so long that she was struggling to find it without him. She was struggling to get out of the rut she had fallen into when he'd left - like she had when Ciro had died. "Am I just everyone's little doll that they can throw around? I don't want to be. I want to be strong. I want to be more than an ornament for a shelf…"

But could he understand? He'd never been a decoration and she'd always been one. Could he understand that feeling?

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Kaj

Even the worst of hurricanes spin themselves to completion, to mere wisps of a destructive storm. Though he brings them, she rages against him until they quell, quiet and complacent beneath the force of his remembered affection for her. Her broken words shred apart his anger like glass to gossamer fabric, until he lets it part and fall from his shoulders like a ripped cape. He was supposed to have been her hero, her savior. Why could he not even live up to that one thing? "Your death would have served nothing, because I would have only met you sorrowfully on the other side," he murmured, not sure how else to respond, but he had made a grievous mistake by rising to her anger as he had. Her wounded cries dug dull talons into his heart, only furthering his resentment towards himself. Why must he be the one who only brought storms to the lives of others? Where had his sensitivity, his calm state of mind, gone? And yet her love swelled for him nonetheless, leaving him weak and hateful of all that he stood for. How could he deserve that kind of selfless affection? Nobody else seemed to think he did, and Kaj was their crowning leader in that effort. "And you shall not get rid of me easily, aardbei," he whispered, moving closer to her as if the words would lend physical fingers that could brush away the salted lines of her tears. "You didn't know because you assumed you weren't worthy of it. But I would tear this world to ruin for you, Resplendence." His love came in metaphors of war and vengeance, for it was all he truly knew. Kaj prayed she would understand.

Though there were dredges of frustration lingering, he moved forth nonetheless to hear her words of selfish family that had deserted her for her uselessness. "We are not them. You cannot put upon us those same expectations," the golden beast reminded her gently, wishing he could simply go into her mind and show her the error of her thinking. Merely show her how Kaj saw things, reverse the damage that had been done with a simplistic gesture. It was a selfish thought, for he would wade through all of her insecurities if it achieved the same result.

"I'm sorry I didn't find you sooner," was all he could quietly whisper, for there was nothing more he could say that would really make her understand how consumed he had been by everyone and everything. Their lives melded in such minimal ways, and yet those bonds were the strongest Kaj had felt in years. She'd have to accept that apology, for it was all he could offer, though the mighty beast wished with all his broken heart that he could have given her something more. Something tangible, that would heal the cracks he'd helped to put in her already delicate china frame.

Valiance steals away his attention, a combustion that only leaves them recovering from the shrapnel of the dragon's self-imposed punishment. His bones are weary, far heavier than Archibald's magic could ever make them. He feels as if he could never possibly move from that spot, that he'd become yet another granite tree, one hardly visited. "Now you know," he said, far softer than the words implied otherwise. "Now you can work on it, be aware...try to be better," was the lame ending that he managed to string together, not hoping to insult or belittle the delicate mare any further than he already had.

"But you have to trust them sometime! If you never even try, they'll be stuck outside your walls forever, and it will be your own fault that you missed out on the opportunity of their friendship and support," Kaj snapped, not harshly as he had before, but just enough to form a spearpoint that would delve into her haze of emotion and show her what he was truly trying to say. "Sometimes it will fail, and you'll be hurt, I can't say you won't. But you have to take that leap. You have to." The more friends she could bring to her light, the more that would be there to support her should she ever actually be abandoned by one of the individuals in her fold. All the more to keep her company, set right her mind, give her comfort and support. But first, she had to move past the fear of that overemphasized possibility.

Her teeth at his wing ache a little, but they tear him away from his own mental brink, and he lifts the mighty appendage to drape it gently over her spine. Uses it to hug her close to his skin, sharing in her warmth, shielding her from all he could even if he could not keep her safe from himself. A familiar pose, one that had begun with his sister, renewed with Resplendence, had even fallen to Kahlua once upon a time. But that memory was bitter, a dagger twisting with gleeful slowness in his heart. Resplendence deserved his full attention, his doting. She did not deserve his tears, his own rough edges and broken bits.

"Thank you," was all he could offer, a gruff but emotional answer to the kindest comment she could have constructed in his favor. No, he wasn't Mirage. But maybe he was still doing okay, in the end. Maybe he wasn't becoming someone worse. "I will never reprimand you for yelling, aardbei. It makes me proud beyond words to see you thrive, to see you grow from the mare I found in the snow so long ago. I would be grinning stupidly on the sidelines if you were ever to yell at and chastise one of your underlings," he chuckled quietly, trying to infuse humor into the grave situation they found themselves in. All of it for her.

"Quilyan is my brother, I know him as I know you, as I know myself. He never would have willingly stayed away for this long, I am sure of it," he pressed upon her, as if trying to tattoo his words into her skin. Let her view them, linger upon them, until she believed them with the same force and intensity that he did. "I believe that he cares, that he will return to us...but if he did do so knowingly, if he did treat you so carelessly, then he is dead to me. I would challenge him for his honor, impart on him physically the wounds he has dealt you emotionally. Never fear that I would take his side, should the worst case scenario ever come to light," he vowed, turning to try and press his pale muzzle to her pink champagne cheek, a comfort. A wax seal that he would stick true to his words.

"You've never been a doll to me, nor an ornament. In my homeland, males were merely physical shields. Females were the warriors, the ones who had magic of destruction, manipulation. We were merely there to hurt, we were raised to deal with the horrific physical damage their opponents intended to have hit our mages. I was not an ornament, aardbei, I was a tool. I was nothing. Replaceable. I understand, perhaps in a way that is entirely different, but I understand. Yet we can both be so much more," he assured quietly, feeling needles shift beneath his skin to remember all those horrible years of never truly living. It was a truth he despised revealing, a past he hated to bring up, one he hadn't even mentioned to Kahlua despite his love for her in the past. "I can't promise I'll be successful in helping you be stronger. But I will do all I can to help you be whatever and whoever you desire to be."

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence
and don't worry, just breathe
They both carried so much pain in their bones if he also would have joined her upon the other side. He moved in closer, though didn't quite touch her yet, saying that she couldn't get rid of him. Her broken eyes flickered upward, sadness mixing with comfort. And, the metaphors which fell from his mouth (while violent in nature) were laced with the support she needed to cling to the idea that he was hers to call a brother.

He says that they were not the family which had disappeared, that the same expectations could not continue forward and she can only nod her head as he apologizes for not finding her sooner. But Valiance decides that he has to punish himself, for being part of the reason she was being chastised. She clung to his words, not recoiling yet, but biting down instead and taking the somewhat sharper words. Her jaw trembles, just a little, and then she nods her head. "I-I'll t-try…" she whispers, before pleading for him to wrap his wing around her. She wanted comfort, comfort that she knew well - both from Quil and from Kaj.

She presses in closer as soon as his wing wraps around her spine, and she pulls Valiance in closer as well, shielding him with both her neck and Kaj's wing. She pleads with him, begging for him to realize that he had a place as much as he was pleading with her to realize the same. He said he would never reprimand her for yelling, that it made him proud, trying to lace in humor. Carefully, she presses her maw against his chest, allowing a few more words to slip from her lips. "Why? Because I'm so tiny it's comedic?" she muses, golden eyes flickering upward without moving her head - Valiance pressing in even closer to the pair.

Alas, as she cries about Quilyan he gives the answer she had hoped for. That something else had kept him away, that he wouldn't do it on purpose. And, if Quilyan had - for some God awful reason - that he would challenge him, that he would be on Res's side. One more tear slides down her cheek before she can no longer cry, and it is met wit his muzzle against her cheek. "Thank you, Kaj…" she breaks a little, voice choking in the process, "I just don't know how many more I can lose…" There is a shudder before she tries to meet Kaj's gaze, a harsh line creasing her features as her ear falls, "I can't lose you too. I can't lose you and you can't lose me. We have to be there for each other." Strength, a new strength in her words that wouldn't have been possible before. "Let me be there for you too, Kaj. Let me shoulder some of the burden. We can take each other's pain… we can help each other thrive…" a messed up system, but she wanted so badly to help him too. She knew she had to, if he was willing to so rashly throw away his life as she had been.

Alas, he says that she wasn’t a doll or an ornament. That he had been the one raised to be used, that he understood. She presses up against him, maw trying to massage out any knots in his shoulders, to offer comfort to not only the emotional but the physical pain. "You already are more," she breathed, before he promised that he would do all that he could t help her become what it was that she wanted. "You always will be more…" Confidence, for she whole-heartedly believed that he had become so much more than a tool - that he had become akin to the Gods, a respite from the pain. He wasn't perfect, but he was there and he cared and he could think for himself, for others. "And I will help you stay more… I will help you be who you want."

But she's tired, and her words are fading from exhaustion, breathing slowing down to an easy rhythm now that the anger had completely subsided. "Stay with me? Rest a spell? I can give you herbs when we return. It would do us both good…" she says, voice hazy as sleep tries to take over.
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love