Nayati Posts: 116
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: four years
Rathunax :: Common Red Dragon :: Shock Breath cailyn

you're my sunshine
and i want you to know
that my feelings are true
i really love you

"Mother!" Her voice rang through the misted forest, jovial to the point of bursting. Tiny hooves raced through the undergrowth, ruby eyes wide and glistening, coal mouth stretched in a wild, carefree grin. Rathunax flew overhead, trilling and singing, hoping to attract the attention of Valiance. Together, they raced through the forest, Nayati occasionally tripping or snagging her long tresses, until Rathunax finally forced her to pause to braid up her hair like her mother had taught him. Kicking her heels, she butted Rathunax playfully out of the way, feeling as if her lungs were going to burst and her heart alongside it.

She'd never experienced such an intense, pure feeling. Untainted by even the strength of her debilitating fears. It made her reckless, gave her a headrush that made her squeal and kick her heels like a filly once more. "Mother!" she called, running for the herb garden. Even as her breaths panted and her lungs protested, she could not be kept down. Were it not for gravity, she likely would have been floating right off the earth.

Skidding to a clumsy, over-eager stop, the young maiden danced and bounced around the garden laughing breathlessly. Overhead, Rathunax gave a mighty cry and swirled upward in a tight circle, her exuberance infections in their shared revelation. Now if only her mother would appear, so that she could share the good news and the excitement with her, too.

you're my best friend

Nayati & Vadim

Image Credit Code: Time

the rose shadows said that they loved the sun, but they also loved the dark, 
where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She was hiding, secluding herself in the little tiny section of 'home' that her canopy gave her. Valiance had closed the door, allowing the fabric to billow listlessly and hide the broken mare inside of it. She had tried to find everyone. She had tried to find Nayati. She had tried to find Quil. She had tried and she had failed. She only proved herself to be as useless as others seemed to think she was. And, because of that today was one of those days where staring poisonous herbs in the face would not be wise. They would be even more appealing when she could smell their aura. A quiet promise for death.

But it was a voice that startled her - one she had been afraid that she wouldn't have ever heard again. Mother! And, at first, it was too far away for her to realize the yell was happy and not panicked, not in pain. She stumbled to her feet, eyes widening by the time that she heard the next yell and it is only when Valiance pushes the canopy out of the way that she lays eyes on the dotted child that she had so claimed as her own. Her heart swells, swallowing back the fear as she strides over, closing the distance quickly in fear that she still might be hurt. "My little flower," she breathes, eyes having to linger upward in order to actually meet her gaze.

The sadness that had infected her orbs seems to tear itself away as she takes in the young one who has grown so beautifully into a brilliant woman. She was blossoming, far less afraid of the world now (or so it seemed from her rambunctious arrival) and Res reaches out to press her maw against her shoulder. Part of her family was well, and she was beyond glad for that.

Valiance, now satisfied that Resplendence was safe (and no longer threatening poisonous herbs) took to the sky, hoping to join Rathunax in his dance - offering his own call of pleasure to the mix. Their bondeds were happy, and he could ask for nothing less. "Tell me what has you so excited, my rose?" Res inquires, tilting her cranium ever so delicately to the side with a gentle grin upon her face.

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Outcast

you're my sunshine
and i want you to know
i really love you

She came in a billow of confused canopy material, and Nayati whirled to meet her with joy shining from every pore. It had been ages since she'd last seen her mother, and she is only partially amused to see that for once, she is taller. It reminded her of how long it has been, partially her own fault, for she had despaired when Resplendence had disappeared and taken to traveling the wilds far more often. But for once, those melancholy thoughts could find no hold on the sheer glass walls of her happiness, and as her mother breathed out an endearment she gave a pitifully adorable squeak and ran for her. Her flowers bloom at triple the rate, swamping the garden in a full rainbow of color.

Rathunax calls down at Valiance from the skies, enticing the younger red into an acrobatic celebration of their own. Meanwhile, Nayati happily leaned into her mother's touch, returning it with a soft kiss of her muzzle to the soft, flat plane of Resplendence's cheek. Her insides feel as if butterflies have nested there and are suddenly all together in flight, and she feels as if she could take on the entire world and never know the meaning of fear again.

Her mother bids her to speak, and for a moment Nayati is wordless, because the sheer magnitude of her own excitement is too large to adequately place in the context of words. Instead she breathes out in one long whoosh of sound, and her knees tremble visibly as she whispers out an answer, as if even the words must be quieted beneath the weight of her revelation.

"I met a boy," she breathed. Then her face turned hot and she shuffled her hooves, feeling ridiculous. "Well, I met him a while ago, before the wraiths. He kept me safe. His name is Vadim," she admitted shyly, ducking her head and glancing up at her mother with rose eyes fully bloomed beneath the demure caress of pale lashes. And then her excitement was back, and she could hardly stand still, hooves dancing and swaying in place.

"Oh mother, he's amazing! He's so very quiet, which makes me want to talk, but he's so calm and so attentive, I know he'll never mock me," all at once she's rushing through the words, because it is still new to her, still fresh and brilliant in her mind. Nayati had never really been a talker, so the fact she'd mentioned it would shed light of its importance on Resplendence. "He cares for me. I was wading in the water too late at night, when it was too cold, and...and he asked Rath to make a fire, and then he held me," and this time she was dazed, as if she was going to fall over at the slightest breath. And still, she hurried onward.

"And his companion, Vlasi, she's so adorable! And they both lay beside me until I was warm," Nayati's voice dropped to a soft murmur, expressing how much that had touched her to experience. Lifting her eyes slowly, she smiled brilliantly, as if to outshine every star in existence. "I...I don't feel afraid, when I'm with him. I feel strong. I feel whole. I didn't realize until Rath showed me, but he gives me peace, and comfort." Her breath left her in a dizzying whoosh of confession, and she stared at her mother in a daze, happier than she'd ever been in her entire life.

"Mother...I think I might love him."

you're my best friend

Nayati & Vadim

where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Resplendence

She doesn't speak at first, Nayati simply presses up against Res' frame, squeaking at her endearment as flowers continued to bloom all across the garden - a rainbow spreading vividly across the land, even into the area of her canopy. Valiance shoots to the sky, to join Rathunax and Nayati presses her maw against Res's cheek. "Family," Res chokes through the bond, tears filling her eyes as she imagined this being one of her twins that she had lost.

No. She tries to force herself to push them from her mind, but even Valiance knows that she'll see them hiding behind the trees when Nayati leaves - that she'll wish the twins were here. The whispered words from Nayati's lips cause her to focus again completely. A boy, before the wraiths, who had kept Nayati safe. Res feels her heart pull, tear, shatter. She should have been the one protecting her. She had failed. Res had failed her daughter and it stung. But, she carefully placed the name in her memory, nodding for Nayati to continue - not wanting to interrupt her.

Her rose stumbled over words, rushing through the explanation in a way that only one with their first love really could. "You shouldn't have gone in the water…" Res starts, concern flickering across her orbs only to stop when she explains how Vadim had been there and held her. How his companion had been there and kept her warm. She says that she doesn't feel afraid, how she felt whole and other things that she couldn't realize at the time. The stare is a daze and all Res can do is smile as the last sentence falls from Nayati's lips.

"That feeling of being complete… it's love. I'm so glad that you found someone else…" But she wasn't glad that Nayati had found it because she had failed as a mother. She swallows, struggling for words as she kept the happiness radiating around her face, her eyes, her tone. "I want to meet him. I want to know the one who is going to be there for you - the one who changed you," a pause as she blinks away tears (of joy and sadness for the realization that her daughter was going to end up leaving) "-the one who changed you for the better."

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast

you're my sunshine
and i want you to know
i really love you

Any other time, Nayati would have felt nothing but grief and guilt for overlooking the pain in her mother's eyes. Yet love did strange things to mellow hearts, and she was blind to the sadness her mother faced at the prospect of losing her daughter to the wonders of aging and womanhood. Instead, she embraces wholeheartedly the wide variety of emotions that she is experiencing, swept up in the tidal wave of young love and finding the strength that she'd never believed herself to have, buried deep beneath her scars and the pain of her past.

Though her ears flickered in quiet shame, recalling her reasoning behind wading in the freezing water in the first place, it was not enough to give her pause nor dim or dampen her mood. Perhaps later, if she were ever inclined to step down from her euphoric perch and fall back into the shallows of despair. Nayati desperately hoped that would not be the case. She was simply so tired of aching, of being sad and lonely and broken. Maybe the explanation would never come, because of that. It was likely for the best, as Resplendence did not need it either.

Seeing her mother smile as she trails off is all the answer she needs, and she rejoices to see the acceptance, the happiness reflected in the shades of her mother's irises. Though she had not even told Vadim of her affections yet, knowing Resplendence approved was more than enough to the frail girl with the spotted coat.

Yet, the mere notion of the pair meeting strikes a sudden pang of uncertainty into the young maiden's heart. She does not let it show. But her mother's tears drove her forward, reaching for the mare's muzzle with her own, a smile on her face. "Thank you, mother," she whispered sincerely, rubies staring into her mother's eyes with all the love and gratitude she could muster. "C-Can you meet him after I tell him?" she asked quietly her stutter returning with a vengeance at her sudden shyness, her hesitance to even think about telling Vadim how she felt. "Is this how you feel, when you're with Quilyan?" she asked it softly, wary to cause her mother pain, for she was aware that the painted boy had not been around as of late.

you're my best friend

Nayati & Vadim

Resplendence

She glances off to the trees, and in her mind she can see the little faces of her twins poking out from behind the foliage. Wanting to play, wanting attention. And she can see them morph before her eyes into strong young adults, much like Nayati as she stood before her. And, it is when the tears actually fall that she tries to keep them happy tears, for Nayati's sake. The young one does not need to know the pain that she knows. She just… she doesn't.

The young one thanks her, sincerely thanks her for the approval that anyone should have given a daughter so wonderful. Res knows she can't hold Nayati back, that having her stay there the whole time would only bring them both pain and so she tries to cling to that ideal as Nayati continues. A question that receives a gentle nod. "Of course," she whispers, voice a little harsh before Nayati asks about Quilyan.

Her eyes squeeze shut, voice getting caught in her throat as Valiance instantly drops from the sky and clambers across her back. "He be back. He have to." He insists, as he feels her entire body twitch. Broken eyes are what peer back at Nayati, she doesn't know how to push out the depression on this topic. And, it's all she can do to keep herself from looking at her poisonous herbs and going over to them, to eat all of them. She focuses on Nayati, taking in a shuddering breath before allowing words to slip from her mouth. "I feel as though I could fly even though I lack the wings. I feel safe, hidden under his embrace. I know that nothing I do could cause him to hate me, to lash out, to do anything that would break me further. I have that feeling with a few others, but it isn't as strong. I consider them to already be my family, to be older siblings to protect me. But with Quil.. Sometimes I feel as though I'm ready to start a family again." Her eyes sway away - to the tree line where she was desperately pleading for her twins to arrive again. "I feel loved…" she says, tears rimming against her eyes as she refuses to look at Nayati in this state. Instead, her gaze focuses on the tree-line behind her. "But when he's gone… for so long… I feel so empty. I just want him back safe, and it plagues me." She steels herself, trying to ignore the pain as she looks back to Nayati. "Do not let yourself get this way. Do not rely so heavily on someone else that you can't find your feet when they're gone. I just want you to be, to stay, happy," she whispers, an urgency to her tone.

She didn't want her daughter to break. She couldn't let her daughter break.

When I'm ready to fall
With love