Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
The challenge was over and I was content to return home.

However, the heat of the arena and the flash of molten gold still lingered in my mind upon surpassing my viewers on my way to the Edge. Adrenaline and anger still burned through my veins but it was with new purpose that it ignited- an inferno. I’d been distracted in the midst of battle and I couldn’t seem to figure out why until I’d finally walked away, defeated.

Many had come to support me in my endeavors, but each one only served to open new holes in my soul until their guns had fallen from between their eager fingers.

My King had come to watch me fight, no doubt judging my technique and my inability to measure up to him in title or experience… but I hadn’t missed it. I hadn’t missed the troubled look in his eyes upon witnessing me fall at the hands off Thranduil… But was that the true source of his discomfort? I couldn’t be sure because in between desperate attempts to find Evangeline, I had seen Kaj as well. I had seen their exchange -as brief as it was- and there was something cold and temperamental that bloomed in my heart from the image. Evangeline had only been mine for a short time and I couldn’t bring myself to question whether there had truly been another before me… but what if there had?

I couldn’t say that I’d discovered anything of importance but there was certainly something dark and worrisome building within my heart that stemmed from seeing them together. Whether it was intuition of just jealousy I couldn’t tell, but it pained me to imagine my King unsettled by a mere fight… which made me think there was something more, something deeper that caused my chest to tighten and harden with a sudden, throbbing hate.

Had I been fooled once again? Was I doomed to face deceit over and over until I could no longer perceive its ugly disguise? Maybe I was just crazy… maybe I had imagined the look of defeat and the slump of his shoulders. Perhaps I was too distracted by battle to understand anything… But instincts had never served me ill. I did not stop for Evangeline and I did not stop for Cetan, but I did turn my eyes toward the sky- toward Kaj. Had I imagined the whole thing?

However, Kaj was not the only one I had noticed in between moments of utter devestation. Cetan had managed to observe my attempt to keep him safe and yet could not remain by my side when push came to shove. That alone made my blood boil, made me want to drag his ass back to sands and teach him a lesson myself. Perhaps it would help to ease the tension that flourished in my heart and made me momentarily bitter. That coward! How dare he take my generosity for granted!

I couldn’t walk comfortably with a strained back ankle, but I still sought to relieve myself of the many eyes seeking to greet me. I didn’t want any of it… and yet I wanted all of it. I wanted to punish Cetan, I wanted to question Kaj, and most of all I wanted to hear the truth from Evangeline. Was it truly that Kaj was disappointed in me for answering for Cetan or was it something else I’d seen in his gaze?

I needed a healer and I needed a friend but neither of those things were to be had until I knew what had been said while I had been busied with Thranduil on the sands. I only hoped that lies wouldn’t find their way to life before me… I wouldn’t accept them any longer.
Image Credits

@[Kaj]

OOC| To start my quest thread! I'm sorry for the crappiness of this and the fact that I needed to find a reason to meet with him, so I hope it's suitable. Evangeline can post after initial talking/threading.

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Kaj

comets fell from the sky,
I took your breath, you took my sorrow

With every blow and kiss of bruise Kaj had winced and felt the echo of old pain against his own canvas. An old challenge for a winged belle, Aaron's sister. A spar between himself and his old mentor. A thousand with Destrier, back when they had been inseparable, brothers in arms. Golden light and ebony shadows. They had been partners, equals. Kaj missed him with an ache that he did not like to linger on, for it would only grow into a chasm with the awareness that the beast had lost so many more than just Destrier. He fought with honor, with pride, with valor. Kaj did not find any fault in him for losing, for there would always be those in the world who were better. Who were wiser, more experienced. He had fought well in Cetan's place, and Kaj found something precious and valuable in that. He had always respected Thor, long before he became the Gentle Heart and the mantle was the brute's for the taking.

By the time the match was over, Kaj's wings and spine ached and shuddered from hovering and circling the battlefield for so long. Archibald's words rang in his mind, reminding him that he could not interfere on Thor's behalf. He would not doubt the brute would find offense in it, regardless, considering Kaj now held a title that had once firmly been Thor's. When the blows had been dealt and the exchanges made, Kaj allowed himself to fall, with ease and grace to give his muscles the relief they so desired. His wings had never failed him, however; the skies had never become a battleground of danger or insecurity. His landing came with ease, a whisper of his hooves upon the grass and the familiar ache of a flight held too long, too low. Away from the currents of air high above where he belonged.

Striding down into the sands, hips rocking beneath his weight, Kaj approached his Specter with a quiet air that broadcasted to those gathered round that they were momentarily unwelcome. Body language was his finest gift, after all, and the Edge denizens had grown used to his ways in the long seasons he'd led them.

Sand hushed and sprayed from his hooves, wings loose but tucked to his sides as his shoulders twinged. A little pain could be forsaken if it meant giving soft words to his Specter, assuring him that a loss was no damnable notion for the King nor anyone else in the Edge. Or so he suspected.

"Thor," he greeted softly, a roll of thunder echoing in his deep vocals. Head dipped briefly to chest, a gesture of respect, honoring what Thor had done for Cetan on the battlefield they stood upon in that moment. "Thank you," was at first all he said, a mere whisper. No more words were required. Cetan could not have stood against Thranduil, not triumphed against him in his youth and foolishness. They were both aware of that particular fact, and Kaj suspected that was why Thor had stepped in on Cetan's behalf in the first place. Kaj would have to clean the child's mess politically, once again, but there was little distaste in that manner. After all, it would give him an excuse to travel north, to be rid of all the stress that coated his shoulders like snow did a stubborn tree.

"Do you require a healer?" Was next off his lips, kind but quiet, if only for the sake of Thor's potential pride on the matter. "You have done well. There is no need to hurt yourself further." Just in case, of course. He was clueless to the turmoil in his Specter's mind, to the depth of his anger, his outrage. The two had been separated so long, it was as if the Gentle Heart were a stranger anew. And though Kaj's heart twinged with the reminder that the brute was clearly better than Kaj in Evangeline's eyes, he would not begrudge his kin that. Kaj had always failed, when it came to love.

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
Thank you? Was his gratitude supposed to soothe me? Make me believe I’d done something of note in his eyes? I felt like a groveling dog, forced to kneel upon knees that had been shredded and bloodied by defeat for the sake of appearances. My mind was racing with thoughts of Cetan and his urge to flee in the middle of what I considered to be a favor to him, but now my eyes were trained on Kaj, on my King. I couldn’t figure out if my anger stemmed from the fact that Cetan was a traitorous fool or because I’d fallen prey to the sharpened teeth of suspicion. My emotions were clearly running rampant and untamed, but did that give me reason to feel so… volatile? Kaj had tried his best to appear unbiased, yet I couldn’t help but feel resentful towards him. He was my successor and as such, my replacement- the younger, better version of what I once was.

It made me sick.

He was my responsibility,” I stated haughtily. “Any fool with a bit of sense could see was unfit for battle.Would you have done the same? Though I’d been removed from the sands, their heat still lingered like an infection that set my soul aflame… and I couldn’t contain the soft edge that bent my words or the bite of their meaning. I could feel the tension smoldering at my depths, rolling and tumbling with the tides of my past and my future, an intermingling of hurt and hate. I tried to shake the emptiness that often chilled me upon seeing my King, but it refused to be dethroned and the longer it remained, the more my blood seemed to boil with every quiet second. I was threatening to implode.

In a moment of weakness I glanced back toward the arena in hopes of eying Evangeline somewhere within the hazy light of my crazed desires, but came up short. I couldn’t wait for her confirmation because I feared what might come to surface in her eyes… truth, lies- words I couldn’t tolerate coming from her lips. Instead, I turned my attention back to Kaj, wanting -no- needing to express what darkness lurked just beneath the façade my family had grown all too accustomed to. However, the King continued to add insult to injury and that was the moment I knew I’d had enough. I’d had absolutely enough of his cool demeanor and his blasé tone… this was my life, my duty, and my heart on the line.

I’m perfectly capable of tending to myself Kaj. I’ll seek a healer if I feel the need,” I all but interrupted. “There’s something else I’d like to discuss with you.

Even if I couldn’t see Evangeline hovering nearby, I could sense her presence and decided to lead Kaj some yards away so that we might be able to converse in private. It was hard for me to express or contain my feelings, as they were quite affected by the warmth of battle and the adrenaline that accompanied it. I felt as though my blood had caught fire and my skin was crawling to escape the inferno that burned me from the inside out. I didn’t want to speak out of turn and yet my tongue could barely hold the words that pushed at my lips, cut through the flesh in order to seek finality. “What did you say to Eva?” It was truly all I could manage without creating imminent conflict with my King, but still very carefully planned.
Image Credits

@[Kaj]

Kaj

Something curled and twisted beneath Thor's visage, chased shadows in his eyes, dark and vile and wrong. Kaj shuddered to see it, even if the shivers never made it to the canvas of his body. There is a distant confusion curdling in his own head, wondering what he could have said to have prickled the beast and turned him sour and vindictive. He had weighed his words carefully, chosen them with as much grace and kindness as he could summon to his tongue. How was it that even when Kaj put forth the effort to never cause harm, it was always the nettled whip that met him in return?

The words that kissed his ears like a violent lover promising a night of vengeance were too vague, too aimless for Kaj to pin down. He gazed dumbly back at Thor, not sure whether the brute was merely sore about his loss or if there was some grand injustice the golden warrior had committed against him in the time between watching the battle and approaching him. Grumpily, the king noticed that he had been the only one to approach the Gentle Heart. Wasn't that testament to how he cared for the mighty stallion, that he would return to his side and offer quiet aid even when no others did?

Eyes drifted towards the evergreens, and Kaj followed his line of sight, not sure what it was that haunted his brother and why his aura was so sharp. Like a porcupine, Thor was bristled out against Kaj, and the pale brute was merely flailing about trying to sneak a peek at the sensitive underbelly of the defensive beast. If he could perhaps get past whatever was nettling the former king, then Kaj could see the truth behind his actions, and therefore figure out how best to treat and care for his brother in arms.

Any thought of helping him was severed brutally as Thor's word snapped out, completely uncalled for, grating against the kindly ruler's ears. Kaj's eyes narrowed, slow and deliberate, and his ears did so in return as they traversed towards his cranium with a meaningful lethargy. "Do not spit upon my kindness when no other has come to thank or help you," he growled softly, not quite emanating the anger that he stored deep within, attempting to be levelheaded. Thor getting a rise out of him would not help the situation, but it did not mean that Kaj had to take his blatant disrespect either. Former king or no, Kaj gave as good as he got, and Thor would be in for the rarely seen fury of the warrior if such ridiculousness progressed.

The possibility of discussion mildly smoothed Kaj's ruffled feathers, and he nodded sharply. Perhaps if Thor simply got it out of his system, he would no longer see the need for his brattish insolence and wayward tongue. If Kaj had to play babysitter through his tantrum, then at least it would not be one of his other innocent herdmates who suffered through the temper of the defeated stag.

Evangeline's name was a surprise, a variable unforeseen. Kaj blinked in silence at the weathered stallion for a few moments, not quite sure where that particular question took root, why it had been cast his way. With yet another barbed undertone, Kaj fitfully noted. Still, he frowned heavily, feeling as if his privacy and friendship with Evangeline was being investigated. "I was not aware that was any of your business," he said simply, a quiet warning. This does not have to go there, Thor.

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
I couldn’t tell if the King’s calm demeanor was meant to soothe me or unsettle me. He appeared to ride the waves of my discomfort with compassion and grace, but I questioned whether it was truly Kaj who manned the helm or the King that often overshadowed his judgement. I knew of the double-edged sword that leadership entailed and I also knew how it trumped personal feelings and beliefs. I hadn’t sought to anger the former Sargent as much as remove the shackles of duty and responsibility. However, Kaj was a fettered servant now. He had become a faithful disciple of the Edge and the leader of her armies… How was I supposed to penetrate the wall of indifference that now supplied him strength and impartiality? Nothing of his heart remained as it was, and the more I pushed, the more he appeared to crumble.

His visage was little more than a mask that mimicked the lines and subtle expressions of incredulity, but it was nearly impossible to determine whether or not the light of understanding was his own. It was true that I had lit the fire beneath his marble complexion and yet it was fascinating to watch him burn. The cracks began to form long before the heat of my words made him sour and unyielding, a monument made of stone. However, beneath the pressing, the King inside was able to overthrow the kind heart I’d once known and he shadowed the young stallion I’d once believed to be unshakable. If he thought himself untouchable, a porcelain trinket crafted by the powerful hands of hierarchy, then I would be the first to condemn him. After all, entitlement meant nothing to me now. I had little left to lose, what with my family lost to the cosmos of life and Evangeline perched just outside my reach.

I was tired of looking up when I should have been looking straight ahead. We were equals. We were brothers. It was time to destroy the mantle upon which this King sat and it was time that Kaj looked again at his people with the dying passion that clung hopelessly at the seams of his soul. If I proffered the needle, would he take it and make himself whole?

Don’t you see…? I don’t need your kindness. I need your understanding, your friendship, and your renewed loyalty. I don’t need your kindness Kaj, because kindness is a thing of ample supply,” I asserted harshly. It didn’t take long to conjure the image of Kahlua upon my return and the way she hid behind her title as Kaj was doing now. Whether or not they considered me a threat was irrelevant, but how they seemed to stonewall the ones they were meant to protect was simply unacceptable. Perhaps my quarrel with Kaj was not so much about Evangeline as it was his inability to meet me upon equal ground. The rise that lifted him toward the sun no longer suited him as the grasses had turned brown and the mists no longer caressed his hooves. The flames of insecurity had made sure of that.

At one point I was convinced that Kaj himself had returned to the present, willing and ready to accept me again as his brother… instead of the simple fool that blindly promised to serve his cause. Peace and neutrality were words that expressed integrity and the ability to rise above the mire that was conflict and war, but what good would it do when the bliss became blissfully interrupted? The World’s Edge had once been about unity and family and now it felt more like a fabricated truth, a false sense of security that would eventually burn out. Whether or not I would be buried amongst the rubble that remained was still a question I’d yet to answer, but the more he guarded himself and his position, the more I found myself drifting away.

It was a quiet thing that had only recently come to my attention, this desire to retire from my life in the Edge, but one that was not yet deeply seated and utterly impermeable. However, it congealed for a moment when the King again made his presence apparent. I was not aware that was any of your business. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn’t, but with the wall effectively placed between us once again, I was left with nothing more than my own feeble defenses to contradict years’ worth of denial. What had once been a problem disguised as jealousy was still a problem nonetheless. Wherever the pieces of our relationship deemed themselves worthy of falling, I would follow… but, something told me that the possibility of going down in flames was becoming inevitable. “Were I in your shoes, I would reevaluate your position as King right now,” I noted on a mere whisper, all traces of anger fading away in the wake of truth. “There was once a time when you stood beside me and not above me.
Image Credits

Kaj

Kaj

Kaj was helpless to try and figure out what Thor was thinking, the darkness that seemed to plague his mind and turned his words sour and bitter against once-friends. Amicable though Kaj tried to be, he was met with venomous fangs that lashed out against hopeful, opened palms. So Kaj retreated, eyeing the brute carefully, not sure what it was he needed to do or be in that moment to help his old brother. He had embodied a punching bag for Resplendence, when she'd needed it. A comforting body, warm and inviting, for Kahlua. They were all Kaj, all portions and shades of his own soul, but he brought them to the forefront to allow those he held beloved the chance to heal. What did Thor need? Why was his bitterness so profound, his hatred so obtuse, so conspicuous? Perhaps Kaj had grown used to the kinship he'd built in the Edge, to the sense of family and loyalty. He had forgotten what it was like to be hated, in any manner of the word or severity of its meanings.

So instead he remained where he was standing, allowing Thor to look upon him, or down on him. Remained still and complacent, steadily removing his layers and barriers to bare himself to Thor. Whether the brute saw the actions as what they were or not, it was a moment that Kaj needed as well. He removed his armor, even though a part of him longed for it with how Thor seemed intent to harm and cripple him. But he had to try and trust the warrior before him, beaten and battered though he was. Yet he still managed to wield such power. Kaj turned his pale eyes upon the scraped hide, the shuttered face, and awaited judgment on what Thor thought he saw. Or was it a truth that Kaj could not avoid? Was he the one who was deluded?

Instead he gawked at Thor's words, allowed himself to flinch against them, feel the hurt they inspired in his very flesh. "That is what I am offering," he said quietly, the confusion blatantly evident on his lost, broken features. "I came to you because I am your friend, Thor." Wasn't he? Was the sentiment not returned? Had some twisted form of jealousy taken over his once-brother? How was Kaj supposed to display his faithfulness, his loyalty, when Thor only saw them as fragmented facades? "I am trying to understand. I don't know what I've done to deserve your harshness," he exclaimed helplessly, staring into Thor as if the deeper he looked, he could find the words written plainly in the fissures of the colors of his eyes.

Instead, he was greeted with words of failure and frustration. So Kaj let his shoulders fall, almost meek in his defeat. It was like trying to plead his innocence to a mountain, impassive and unwilling to listen. So instead he spoke his own piece, wondering if it would lift the burden from his shoulders personally. "I do not care for titles. I do all I can to keep our family safe, but I would do that in any aspect of this herd. I only ever stood before you as a brother, as an equal. Your eyes are blinded by an ill I cannot name, be it jealousy or bitterness or misplaced hatred." Slowly Kaj lifted his face to Thor's, reserved and quiet but strong nonetheless as he flayed himself open and displayed his innards for Thor to spit upon as he had everything else. But Kaj still held a quiet hope that perhaps he could bring Thor back to him, from whatever dark sea he had been cast out upon and lost to. "I don't know how to make you believe me if you close your ears and heart to me. Do you wish for the crown? I would offer it to you, if it would make you see how little I care for a title. I only ever wanted your brotherhood."

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!