the Rift

[OPEN] Another night patrol...

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

He had been dealt another night shift.

After a few brief hours of rest through the evening, Hector stirred beneath the deep shadow of two intertwined mimosas. One after the other he stretched each long limb out, and shook heavily the stiffness of sleep from his body - pluming dust rising invisibly around him. Lips lowered afterward to fondle the strings of ivory mane slumped between the sleeping child’s ears. Though he longer always for duty, the days since Isara had returned to her home had given him a new perspective; one which he had neither expected nor fancied. His fondness was true however, and a fierce devotion was blossoming that had nary existed after the loss of his blood-children with Daenerys.

Quiet words were imparted so as not to disturb her rest, I will be home soon, before Hector turned his thoughts to his bonded Boggart. Do not leave her, Veci, he warned sternly, and watched as the thin ripple of his form (invisible to all else) settled sullenly by Isara.

The tawny giant slipped away through the mid-island shrubbery – that which before the girl, he had never thought to bed between, and when finally the oasis foliage had given way to miles of blistering sand, he lunged forward into a brisk gallop. It was intention to rouse groggy muscles to life; to stretch lazy ligaments and work a thick foaming sweat into his coat, and he often multitasked as such, because the night duty was oftentimes long and uneventful. A sprinted solidly for a long while, driving ever faster though each breath grew harder and harder - no pain, no gain... no pain, no gain he chanted silently to the rhythm of his drumming hooves, and only as the stench of the brackish coastal air grew too pungent did he thrust apart his phenomenal wingspan to fly.

His hulking mass drew gradually towards the clear heavens, and the playful wink of distant stars welcomed him nearer. Hector had been set the task of patrolling the far west coast, and though he might have liked to take young Isara, a journey by foot would have just taken too long.

As expected, he arrived upon the soft slippery white sand of the Endless Blue after midnight – sweat gleaming as the pale sliver of moon shed insignificant light upon him, and Hector snorted a thick spray of spittle into the ocean wind. Flame-red eyes scanned north curiously, and then south; body twisting above the cool terrain for a better view. At first glance, all seemed relatively quiet and he moved down nearer to the crashing waves.

Aisling the Fae Posts: 112
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 13.1 :: 6 :: Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Sorcha :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath Laine
AISLING
my friend makes rings, she swirls and sings
she’s a mystic in the sense that she’s still mystified by things

The little faerie girl was fond of the night; she was fond of the day as well. In fact, she was predisposed to like everyone and everything she came across. Wind? It made the leaves of autumn dance. Rain? It made the flowers grow. Darkest night? It hid the sun so the stars could shine! And shine they did as the watched them from the water’s edge.

Aisling had arrived at the shore that afternoon. After dancing her way through miles of forest, it had suddenly opened onto a glorious sandy beach. She must have played for hours, running across the open sand and splashing in the heaving surf. She had found shells, basked in the warm sun, and chased a flock of gulls. What a day it had been! When the sun had begun its final decent the girl settled, exhausted but perfectly content, on the edge of the water to watch the sky salute the evening in a riot of color. Even then, she had not moved, for the stars began their dance through the heavens and Aisling had been too enchanted to leave.

So there she found herself, in the dark of night, listening to the gentle rush of water and gazing at the sky. In the dark, her pale coat seemed to carry a faint glow, the kiss of moonlight and shimmering stars. Below her, the waves rushed up across the sand towards her, the bolder ones coming to tickle and splash around her grey hooves. Distant as the stars might have been, hit head was raised, reaching for them, yearning for their light.

In the land she had left, she would have stood like this with her family, on the high cliffs instead of the sandy shore. Her mother would have told her and her brother the stories written in the stars, all the legends written in the faerie-ink of light. The girl thought of those stories, each running through her mind as she found the familiar patterns. Thinking of her family made her sigh. She did not regret leaving, such marvelous adventures she had found already, but she did wish just now that they might be here to share this with her. It was this though that had her relaxing her arching nape, pulling back down but still keeping her gaze trained above. The time for quiet was over, she though, quiet should never last too long. And she lifted her sweet voice and sang to the stars.

”I've met some folks who say that I'm a dreamer,
And I've no doubt there's truth in what they say.
But sure a body's bound to be a dreamer,
When all the things he loves are far away.

And precious things are dreams unto an exile,
They take him o'er the land across the sea,
Especi'lly when it happens he's an exile,
From that dear lovely Isle of Innisfree.

And when the moonlight peeps across the rooftops,
Of this great city, wondrous tho' it be,
I scarcely feel its wonder or its laughter
I'm once again back home in Innisfree.

I wander o'er green hills thro' dreamy valleys,
And find a peace no other land could know.
I hear the birds make music fit for angels,
And watch the rivers laughing as they flow.

And then into a humble shack I wander,
My dear old home and tenderly be-hold
The folks I love around the turf fire gathered
On bended knees their rosary is told.

But dreams don't last, tho' dreams are not forgotten,
And soon I'm back to stern reality,
But tho' they paved the footways here with gold dust,
I still would choose the Isle of Innsfree.”

- - -

Actions in the living world.
Daydreams and foolish fantasies.
“Words spoken aloud.”

Notes: Wooo! Seems a bit choppy, still trying to find her flow. She hasn't seen Hector because she's supremely unobservant, just standing down the beach being her dreamy self <3
Song: 'Isle of Innisfree' - Orla Fallon
Table style by Tamme!
[now come the days of the dreamer and they are filled with wonder and light ]
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Aisling in all posts ::

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

I've wandered far, farther than my parents would probably desire. I know that my mother must not be too far because I still drink her milk. But I'm more or less walking alone, and though I am strong of heart, I feel a little unsteady. I think that I am not far from the Throat, but I haven't seen the desert island-like place that he has spoken so much of. But I've found myself a beach, so, I have to be close right? I collapse down upon the sand in the dark, exhausted. I've been spending so much time in Heavenly Fields, and then that trek to the Rotunda. It's not that I didn't enjoy it there, but it was a lot of walking and trotting and somewhat-flying. Luckily wherever I am now is not nearly as far from the Rotunda as the Fields were. I tuck my small fluffy black wings in against my body and my legs underneath me. I've tuckered myself out good and well, and I need to rest. This is a long, long way to travel for a little girl like me.

Resting in the darkness, I feel my eyelids growing heavy, and I'm nearly asleep when I hear movement, and a voice. My eyes flash open, and the moon reflects in my golden eyes. I see a red-hued stallion, big and brawny. I don't think he spoke. The voice that I heard - that I hear - is more ladylike, softer and gentler. She sings, and my ears perk forward with interest. She sings of dreams and moonlight, and I feel my spirit lift and my body feels somehow... maybe a little less weary. With a little effort I rise to my hooves and make my way in the deep sand toward the tall flame-colored beast. I don't have nearly the energy that I had when I started my trek, and though I can walk and trot and stand, I don't think I'm up for much more than a quiet little chat. I stop a little ways away, unsure if he is safe to really approach. Perhaps I am more foolish than brave.... "Excuse me, Sir? Do you know where that lovely voice is coming from?" My nostrils quiver with intrigue. Her voice is beautiful, and I want to know of the dreams of which she sings.

""

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

While he lingered by the lapping ocean, a small movement caught his eye. Stoic features turned to find the meagre frame of a child approaching and it took all of his strength to not turn and stride from her reach. Hector was hardly fond of children – well those that were not Isara anyway. The bright blaze down her puny face seemed to glow in the darkness like a beacon that he should surely have seen...

Veci slithered nearer, intrigued, but was quickly subdued with a firm, NO.

She paused at a distance safe enough for them both, and he gazed down the twice horned bridge of his nose towards her, ears switching jadedly overhead. Sweet tone filled the air, and though he was not moved by the innocence of her youth, he regarded her question with dignity. "I am afraid not..." He turned his raised face back towards the sea, dismissing her in a sense – but guilt was quick to pinch his conscience.

A fathomless sigh heralded his return, and at last his skull lowered to meet her. "Perhaps we can search together..." The prospect of babysitting someone else’s child did not strike his fancy, but as he peered behind her; and again all around, he found that they were quite alone.

That was, apart from the small creature just down the way. Snorted reluctantly, Hector moved forward in silence – hardly concerned that the foal might not follow.

By the light of the silvery moon, he studied the tiny pale figure by the water singing, and as he slid through the sand towards her – nearer to the rolling waves just beyond – he coughed loud enough to interrupt her tune and perhaps pull her attention from the sea (or the stars). Hector had not noticed her to begin with, unsurprisingly; she was a mere foal in stature as he came to stand close by, with withers that barely seemed scrape the height of his elbow.

Amused, he smirked, but he paid her no disrespect all the same. Gaze passed by the filly carefully before retiring again to moon-washed white. "Innsfree..." he mumbled pensively, smouldering eyes trailing the blurred black horizon for a moment vaguely. "A land I’ve not heard mention of before. Perhaps your heart remains where those shores lie?"

His own birthplace had been long left behind - Arcanthano - both by body and soul. It was a cruel country he would sooner forget than work into song.

Aisling the Fae Posts: 112
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 13.1 :: 6 :: Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Sorcha :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath Laine
AISLING
my friend makes rings, she swirls and sings
she’s a mystic in the sense that she’s still mystified by things

Aisling didn’t mind being alone, and in her travels of the past year she’d been alone more often than not. It gave her time to think, time to dream. She’d be shy to admit it, but the solitude had let her take to composing a few songs of her own. Still, even though her solitary life had been a rewarding experience, she always liked having company more. There was no doubt in her mind that once she joined up with Kvothe and his friend, Finn, her life would change for the better. This lonely song on the beach was somehow a farewell to one set of travels and a hello to a new one.

A deep cough tugged her sharply out of her admiration of the stars. The white pony jumped, thoroughly startled, and looked around with a surprised “Oh!” Grey eyes were wide and went wider still when they caught sight of the speaker but her expression was one of surprise more than fear. The little mare lacked the wisdom to be afraid as often as she should, and this might have been one of those times because this stallion was enormous! Once upon a time there was a fair made who got lost in the woods. Far and far she went, twisting and turning until, quite by accident, she entered the lands of the giants!

The little mare slipped out of her dizzy daydream quickly enough, and as the shock of the sudden company faded, she was able to focus on what was before her. In the light of the moon and its reflections off the water and sand, she was able to see what a magnificent creature he was, horns and wings and flaming pelt, all softened by an amused smile. Confident then, Ailing returned the smile with her own, as bright and pleasant as summer sunshine. With a little splash in a reaching wave, she fully turned to greet her new potential friend. Following his glance, she saw the young filly that seemed to be with him, painted with golden stars of her own. A giddy laugh like the chiming of bells came as freely as her smile “Well hello there!” She greeted both with a soft sweep of her head, long braid swinging merrily with the movement.

The stallion spoke softly, seeming to assume that it was her home the song had been about. Aisling sighed loudly in her happy, dreamy way and gave a gentle shake of the head. “’Tis only a place I know from that song; it’s one my Da always used to sing. I don’t think it’s a land the really exists from the way he always told it, but it always reminded me of home just the same.” The silky stream came out in her accented lilt. “I am Aisling of the Isle Éire. And I do suppose I’ve left part of my heart there, but the most of it rests here above my feet and goes where ever they lead.” She paused a moment, then it occurred that he might have been there to shush her. “I do hope I’ve not been keeping your wee lass awake so late, I didn’t know anyone was about.”

- - -

Actions in the living world.
Daydreams and foolish fantasies.
“Words spoken aloud.”
Table style by Tamme
[now come the days of the dreamer and they are filled with wonder and light ]
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Aisling in all posts ::

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

The big tribrid (oh so fancy!) is dismissive of me, but not impolite, and I continue to smile up at him, undeterred. Reluctantly, it would seem, he suggests that we could search together. I nod in agreement and trail behind him, prancing along to keep up with his big steps. It's okay if he doesn't like me at first, I understand that some may be reluctant to make friends. And he's a big stallion - perhaps he doesn't like little kids around. WELL. Perhaps I can be an exception to his rule. He does lead us to the owner of the beautiful voice, and my eyes light up with excitement. A pale, beautiful mare in the night. The stallion speaks first, mentioning the place that she had sang of - Innsfree. Of course I have not heard of it either, but that is unsurprising.

The mare - small, though I think she's full grown - is startled, but quickly smiles and greets us. I return her smile. She calls herself Aisling. Before the stallion can speak I return her greeting. "My name is Tempe! I was just exploring and ran into..." I pull up next to the tribrid, and look up at him. "Well, he hasn't told me his name yet. But you didn't wake me, Miss Aisling. So nice to meet you." My eyes glitter, and I wonder if after the flaming stallion has spoken, if I can ask her more about her home and this Innsfree. Ever since Cheska's story I've only wanted to hear more. I think perhaps that she could satisfy, at least for a bit, this increasingly burning need.

""

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.