the Rift

[OPEN] Now, this is a story all about how... [Storytelling]

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily
Amani
Just A Picture To Burn

The warmth of the sunlight drew me out of my slumber. The rays of light peeked through my golden eyes. They fluttered open as I stand, stretching as I moved. It was still early, enough time to pray to the God of the Sun before I move on to a task I must complete today. I need to tell a story. But just what? I mean, I know the stories my Momma told me... But I can't imagine telling those to just anyone of the herd. Those can be very personal... But maybe, just maybe... Yes. That will work lovely.

I move to the Diviner's fire, and pray to my Lord before continuing on to Dragon's Blood. This tree was one of few I have ever seen around here. I figure it's a good place to tell my story. I settle in and call out to those of the herd. "Little ones, it's story time!" I sigh softly, getting my thoughts together for the story. I just hope I can tell it as well as my dam did.

Once enough have gathered, I begin my tale. "This is the story of the Beauty and the Beast. Once upon a time, there was a handsome young colt. He was a Prince of a beautiful kingdom. However he was vain. He valued looked above everything else. One day a old mare came to the thicket he lived in, begging for shelter. Several times he denied her. After the last time, she transformed into a beautiful young mare. She cursed him, making him look like a beast! Taking away his good looks. She gave him a rose to protect. If by the time he turned five, he had not found a mare to love him for him and he to love her then he would forever remain a beast." I take a deep breath, so far I think I am doing alright. I just hope I can keep it up. "This brings me to the beauty of the story. She was a beautiful young filly named Belle. She lived alone in a small herd with her Father who was an inventor. Most of the herd thought they were crazy... She loved to learn. Most of all, she loved stories. Her father was always trying to use his magic to make easier ways of doing things. There also was a strong colt among the herd called Gaston, he could easily take his pick of any filly in the herd. He was the best at protecting the herd from danger. He of course took a fancy to Belle, but she did not care for him. One day her father left off with one of his inventions and his companion Phillipe to show it to other herd. On the way however, he got lost and chased by wolves. Safety was only found in a thicket of the beast! The beast kept him as a prisoner, while his companion fled back to the herd to get help. " I stop, looking at the young ones faces. I hope they are enjoying the story, as it was indeed my favorite tale that Momma used to tell me. "Belle left the herd with her Father's companion, in hopes of finding her Father. They found him, and the beast caught her as well! He was just about to throw Belle out, when she vowed to take her Father's place if the beast would let him go."

I stopped, looking at the faces of those gathered. "Can anyone guess what happened next?" I look from face to face, waiting for an answer before I go on.

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

x - x

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

M A R E N

" Seeing shadows in the room
Like the fall and the rise
Of the young and the wise. "

Maren flapped out her wings. letting her feathers hang, presenting them to the wind to play with. The big con of having wings in your neck was that they worked as extra isolation, which could be proven by the sweaty markings that graced the parts behind her ears right now. She had taken this heat as a joke, a laugh, told herself this would be the easiest thing ever to get used to. She hated it. She wanted to leave so badly. But that would mean giving in and she did not want to give in because it had gotten a little hot.

It still agitated her, though, so she was now chewing somehow aggressively on something that had seemed to be a leaf. A palm leaf, she had accused it for, even. Like her, it had been lazely flying around the moraine. Trying to get at least something done that day, she had decided to fetch it - then she wanted to also taste it.
And now she was eating it. Or at least attempting too, since it was kind of too rubbery to really swallow. But like most things did, it just happened. It was the reality of living here that kept pushing her into directions she had realized nor expected. Or maybe she had, but right now it was too warm to play trivia.

...But Amani seems like such a nice mare. That was her conclusion the minute she had laid eyes on her. Young, beautiful - and already taken on such big tasks as that of being a diviner. She could just not not be a nice mare. Nevertheless the tiger-mare couldn't help but wonder: Why.

She was surely good at it. The way she managed to get the story across made her temporarily forget about the sand that was filling the insides of her nose and ears and had been grinding between her butt-cheeks for the past couple of hours. She had definitely underestimated the savage winds that had disrupted her plans of a lazy chase, which made her almost become one with the grains of the dunes.

Truth to be told, she was not really here to listen to the story, even when it was such a nice one. She wanted to get to know Amani and ask her about her own coming duties as a new disciple. She had a rough idea of what was expected of her, and she wanted Amani to be aware of that, too. So that the she would know that Maren could handle this with a straight face and would not run off into the sunset at any given time. The mare silently nodded to herself. No, she could do both, which was called multitasking.

Amani's words suddenly formed a question, which made her ears point forward, along with her wings - which seemed to have forgotten they were just wings, not an extra set of ears. "Can anyone guess what happened next?" Maren let her shaded eyes scroll over the crowd, trying to make as little chewing sound as possible in the fallen silence.

@[Amani]
|| Notes: Maren will be mostly listening, but she would love to speak to Amani afterwards if possible? c: And sorry about the weirdness, it's late|| Wordcount: 542 || "talking" ||

Please tag me 

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

Finding activities for Isara that were both educational and harmless was proving to be quite the challenge – especially with the ridiculous number of colts running around with the idea (presumably) of pursuing her.

Constant assignments, patrols and rigorous exercise programs were none to helpful either; it was difficult to keep an eye trained to her when he was straying from the border on a semi-regular basis. That was where his companion came in, much to Veci’s disgust. Hector knew firsthand the power of testosterone, and he had seen the fluttering baby-blue eyes of the boy marked like the Mother of Cripples Companions... The giant had sworn himself to the task of parenting the little filly – and that was what he intended to do in its entirety, no matter how ill-suited he was.

Is she well? The stallion called through his connection with the Boggart, even before the thicket he had left them in the evening before was within range of his eyes. There was no answer and a sickening sense of foreboding twisted his stomach... VECI.

Of course the ghost could hear his partner well enough, but he resented enormously having to babysit the girl all the time – without touching either her thoughts or dreams, or those she found to talk to. He rolled around her amusedly, silently, allowing the stallion no access to their bond. He could feel the rise he was getting, the fear (which had become one of Hector’s greatest) of Isara finding danger, and revelled in its bounty.

As he homed in on the flowering mimosa which had more or less become their now permanent residence within the Throat, Hector saw the patterned filly’s unique coat through the branches – the sparse canopy – and too, the rippling cloud which was the wicked Boggart with her. You will be the death of me creature... he sighed, breath heaving in the aftermath of panic; folding enormous wings across his lofty spine so that any breeze (though rare they were this late in Birdsong), might cool his sweat-sodden sides. Veci sneered bitterly.

Lips moved down towards the teal veins beneath her eye, passing gently across the smooth fur to perhaps stir her from sleep. "Isa..." he tried to whisper, though the sound rumbled regardless, deep in his chest; extraordinary tenderness resonating with every beat of his heart. Rumour through the herd suggested a morning of storytelling by those in the talking-ranks - personally, he was hardly interested in such nonsense, but in the interests of the child he felt they should attend. "It’s time to wake, Isa." He persisted until she roused – the relentlessness of one forged to weather any fight, and guided her briskly towards the lake so that they both could freshen up.

It had been a long night at work, and sweat was rapidly drying into itchy white crystals through his coat (he didn’t need that as an irritation on top of squirming children).

After a long time in silence – quite the way Hector preferred – he turned and offered the usual, clumsy smile that Isara exclusively attracted (it was a mish-mash of forced happiness, true care and disinclination and it was hers alone). "We are going to Dragon’s Blood this morning..." he explained, pulling an old feather easily from her wing that seemed to jut out gawkily. "There will be other foals." The latter was mainly a pep-talk for himself, and following he drew a long, hesitant breath. "Let us go."

Following a visible trail as it curled through the gravel away from the water, the stallion led his adoptive progeny in the direction of the ancient tree.

As they neared, fiery-coloured eyes traced the collective silhouette of a gathered group. Sun, give me strength... he turned quietly, and passed an overly thoughtful glance by Isara. "Run along, would not want you to miss out on anything." As the filly parted from his side, a mare caught his notice. His brow furrowed quizzically and he turned the nearest eye closer.

Veci... does she have wings where she should have ears? The Boggart who had not been paying attention, was suddenly intrigued by the suggestion and his invisible form slithered a little closer to see. Yes! he lied with a conniving grin lathering his thoughts. Entirely misled by his companion, Hector inched discreetly closer and muttered within range, "What use have you of stories then, if silly wings are your ears..."

@[Isara] and @[Maren] are mentioned :)

Isara Posts: 34
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1 hh :: 2 year [Birdsong] HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Evvers

“Hector?”, my voice seemed to echo out around me as I called out to the one person I knew who would protect me from any evil that lurked about. Eyes scanned the terrain for any sign of him, but there was no scent nor sound of him in the air. Instead, I was alone in...where was I anyways? I looked around again at the green grass beneath my hooves and the dense shrubbery that lay scattered about. Just where was this place?

Then a sharp whinny pierced the heavy silence.

Quickly, I turned to see the owner of the new voice and once I saw of whom the voice belonged my breath caught itself between my mouth and my lungs. Tears stung my eyes as I looked upon the splashed mare that was walking towards me. I had only seen her once before, but I had heard her and felt her warmth and love for nearly a year.

Mother.

“You're growing so strong Isa,” she softly spoke to me as she nuzzled my neck. This...this couldn't be real could it? Mum was dead. I saw her die. I...watched...them kill her. This couldn't be real. It just couldn't. Hector watched over me now. He saved me earlier. He...he...he was my -

“Father Isa, he's your father now,” the word mum said caught me off guard. How did she know what I was thinking? How did she know about Hector? What was going on?!

“You're dreaming Isa,” her voice then shifted, gotten to a lower tone. Mum never had that low of a voice. Dreaming? But this was just too real to be a dream. I mean...she just touched me.

“Mum?” I call out to her as she pulled away from me and even though it seemed like neither of us physically moved we grew father apart, “Mother?!”

“It's time to wake, Isa.”

Eyes remained closed as I raised my head. If I opened my eyes, I'd be back to reality. Back to the time line where mum died and Hector took me in. Hector...a soft few quickened thuds sounded in my chest. My mother's voice had changed into his. My mother had said that he...that he was my father now. If this was true then I had more than just one reason to continue on in this reality.

Deep down I already knew what my mum had told me.

I yawned as I opened my sleepy eyes and looked up to Hector. He was brave. He was strong. He protected me. And he takes care of me. He was my father. Maybe not my father by birth, but my father by his actions. By his request, I got up and we went over to the lake to clean up. It seemed like we were going to go somewhere.

Ears swiveled when he spoke about going to a place called Dragon's Blood. Seems that I had guessed right. He then went on after pulling an old feather off of my wing that was out of place. Other foals? A sudden interest to this new place of travel swept over me. Other foals meant others my age and that made me somewhat excited and lifted my spirits.

We followed a trail for a while and then eventually landed before a giant tree. There where already two other winged equines there (though one scared me at first because I didn't notice the wings behind her ears until a little later) and when Hector told me to run along I gathered up my wings slightly and went as fast as I could (which was somewhere between a trot and a walk now). Once standing before the mare with normal wings she began telling a story about a prince who turned into a beast and a girl named Belle who offered to take her father's place as the beast's prisoner.

Would I do that? If Hector was taken prisoner by someone or something would I even think about offering to take his place just to set him free? I'd like to think I would, but honestly given my past I probably wouldn't. But who knows what I would do? Maybe over time my bond with Hector would grow enough to change the way I would act.

The mare then went on to ask me if I could guess what happened next. How the hell would I know what happened next? She was the one telling the story not I! I had never even heard of this story before. But I'd play along with her I guess, “What happens?” I say after shaking my head no.

Really, who tells a story to kids and then asks if they know what happens next? Nobody should that's who.

"Isara's speech"|"Isara's thoughts"

WORD COUNT;; 790
TAGGED;; @[Hector],@[Amani] are mentioned
OOC;; -tears up- all the feels.

Use of force and magic is allowed on Isara, as long as it does not result in permanent bodily harm or death. Otherwise just ask! Also tag in all posts if you so desire. 8D
Hector has permission to powerplay Isa.