the Rift

[OPEN] black holes and revelations

Quilyan Posts: 206
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zarina :: Pygmy Marmoset :: Quantum Leap ChaoticMelodies
-You're an idiot.-

The prince sighs. Zarina is right, of course. His abrupt departure in questionable company was foolish. But he has listened to her scoldings and endured her silent glares for the entire journey home. Quite frankly, he is tired. He wants his land, he wants his herd, and most of all, he wants Resplendence. Guilt pinches at him, garnering the stallion a new string of curses from his bonded. The marmoset is in a particularly foul mood just now; but then, who wouldn't be after gallivanting across the universe in a futile attempt to rescue their bonded's dead parents? She had warned him, after all.

But the prince never listens to reason, and despite the shady character of the mercenary who sought him out, he ran off at the barest mention of his father without even a by-your-leave: never mind that he left a top tier position and the responsibilities associated with it, nor that his lover never got so much as a goodbye despite his knowledge that it would devastate her. No, his long-dead father had miraculously escaped the Anarchists, had only just now thought to search for his children. It was all a lie. Zarina was convinced from the beginning that it was a ruse; but his hope had overpowered her rationale, and so off they went. Well, she could hardly let him go alone, could she?

And so they have returned, painfully weary but none the worse for wear. They arrived at the World's Edge the day before only to find out that Resplendence had departed some time previously. Why, they had not managed to figure out. Quilyan's mind filled with 'perhapses:' perhaps she found a new lover; perhaps his departure had finally broken her; perhaps she didn't want him to find her... But he goes nonetheless, unable to bear not knowing. At the very least, he owes her an explanation. At most, he can devote himself fully and completely to making it up to her.

The pair take pause in Heavenly Fields. The air is crisp and cool, a lovely Birdsong day that simply begs to be taken advantage of, and though Zarina urges him onward, he walks at a rather lackadaisical pace. Perhaps he is nervous, or frightened, or guilt-ridden - in any case, he trots leisurely across the field, taking the long way to the Hidden Falls, where his lover is rumored to be.

"more words."

@[abba]
Quilyan
counting on the night for a beautiful day;
subtlepatterns.com | kaydeniro & larfsalot @ deviantart
Please tag Quilyan in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Quilyan? Visit his plot page here!

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
I'll be the bright, in black that's makin' you run.
She had decided not to completely heal herself. The sharp pain that radiated through her joints with each step from the slightly fractured left pastern was exactly what she needed to remind herself to be strong. So she did. She bit her tongue. She moved forward. She searched for herbs and she tried to be present unlike how she had been right after Quilyan had disappeared.

But her tears had dried. She was getting used to that sickening feeling of her stomach being wrenched at the thought of him. She was falling numb again - like she had much after Ciro had died. And it is this numbness which radiates a strong fear - one that should have been calling to Quil the entire time he was gone, his key burning into his flesh. She didn't want to be alone, she didn't want to accept that he was gone. Most of all, she didn't want to accept that she had failed, and her raging mind was saying that he left because of that failure. She didn't want to accept that her failure to move past her dead twins meant she might never get a family again…

Today, she was scavenging the Heavenly Fields, trying so desperately to find herbs. Except that desperation wasn't working, because she couldn't concentrate enough to even find some of the herbs that she was supposed to be looking for. Valiance was careening through the skies, vibrantly flashing his feathers, his scales, his dominance that had taken a short turn for the worst as of late. And, it is he who sees her beloved first.

He spins, shooting through the air at a knee-breaking pace and lets out a few puffs of smoke near where the painted pegasus was. Not threatening, just to gather his attention. And, then once he felt Quilyan is aware of the lurking red dragon's presence, he begins to circle him - clicking awkwardly in disbelief. "Quilyan. Here." He says only to have Res shake her head. "Dead. He's dead Valiance. It's the only excuse that explains why he hasn't come back," she cries through the bond, but Valiance continues to insist. And, once he is sure that his mate is grounded, he flashes images of the painted pegasus through their bond.

She jolts, her head shooting up as if something had startled her before spinning on her haunches to face where Valiance had gone to. Not far in the distance she could see her companion soaring and a winged stag along the horizon. She gallops, struggling to get back to the place where he had met her before the invasion of the Foothills, to be reunited once more. It is only when he is in clear view that she slams on the breaks, stopping only a foot or two away from him. Wide eyes take him in as her ear flickers upward.

Joy. Panic. Pain. Betrayal. Concern. Uncertainty. It flashes across her vision - erasing the numbness that had taken over her heart and started to eat it whole. Yet, all she can do is stares. She stares for so long until she feels as though she couldn't stare anymore. "Y-you're not… dead?" she croaks, struggling to find a reason that would explain why he had been missing for so long without even a goodbye.

And, as she struggles, Valiance lands upon her back, tail gently swishing across her spine in an attempt to keep her calm. "Back. He back."

Now, only a few tears can fall….
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Every night of his absence had been spent with guilt and half-hearted justifications. Yes, he had left his family, his friends, his responsibilities without so much as a message directing their attention to where he had gone; but the stranger had said that the king was alive, that he was in hiding and waiting for his son to return to rally the masses, to take back the kingdom. He had been the oldest, the firstborn son, the next in the line of succession - it had been his duty to go, hadn't it? But how does one trade one duty for another? How does one's past rank against their present or their future? To whom did he owe the most loyalty - the family he had lost or the family he had adopted as a replacement? But he had been groomed for years to become king of Th'orqui, and it was that instinct that compelled him to leave immediately for the faraway land, to seek out his miraculously living father and take back their throne.

But every time he closed his eyes, he saw her face. He saw the way her eyes crinkled when she was afraid. He saw the gentle lines that framed her mouth when she smiled. And yes, he saw the feminine shape of her body, remembered the way the sight of her made his blood quicken and his heart race. He remembered the way she would burrow her way under his wing, into his heart and his protection - and he had betrayed her. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw her, and he remembered. And he hated himself for it.

It had not taken long for him to realize that the stranger's story had been a ruse. The more questions he asked of the mercenary, the more cryptic the responses; and finally, the truth came out. The Anarchists wanted him dead. They wanted no trace of the royal lineage to remain in order to better strengthen their claim to power. The stranger's role among the mercenaries was a diplomatic one; he was not a ruthless warrior of the Anarchy, but rather a grunt sent to retrieve lost goods. Even with the prince's lack of proper combat training, the mercenary could not have succeeded in a fight; and so Quilyan was able to persuade him to return the Th'orqui and assure the new rulers that their enemy had no desire for the throne. Once, he would have thirsted for their blood, longed for vengeance - but he was older now, and wiser, and tired. He wanted his home, and his remaining family, and his lover. He wanted the bloodshed to end.

Zarina was the first to notice the dragon wheeling above. -Valiance.- The prince's head snapped up, his violet gaze finding the familiar form of his lover's bonded. Resplendence. He looks around wildly, searching the landscape for a sign of where she might be (for her companion would not ever be far away). And then, movement: she is running to him, and his heart swells to bursting at the sight of her, and as she slides to a stop only a neck's reach away, he takes a sudden step forward, aiming to throw his head over her neck, pull her into his chest. His guilt and fear be damned: she may hate him now, but she is alive and she is here and he needs her. "Resplendence," he breathes, his breath dancing through the air between them (or, should she receive his embrace, the lack thereof). "I'm not dead. I'm so sorry, my love."

"more words."

@[abba]
Quilyan
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Resplendence
As she slides to a stop before him he takes his own step forward in an attempt to close the distance. His head swinging over her neck and pulling her forward so that she pressed up against his chest. Eyes flickered shut as he breathed her name and she shuddered, wincing as she pressed all of her weight on her tender left fore limb in order to cling to him. He says he's not dead, and apologizes. But she just… she doesn't know.

She need to feel his flesh. She needs to hear his heart. She needs proof that he isn't about to leave, that he isn't going to vanish again. She clings to broken beliefs and shattered hopes, pleading that they are strung back together and crafted back into a sense of beauty. But the only words that she can bring herself to say have her pulling away, shuffling back a few steps so that she could look directly at him. "How… How could you leave me without anything? What was so important that you'd drop everything and run?"

She's choking, anger flickering across her eyes. He'd left her, like Kaj and Kahlua had. Except, for all their physical presence they might as well not have been there because they hadn't cared. "What did I do to fail you and push you away?" There was a snort, a snort of disbelief. You see, because she didn't have a chance to fix it before he had run away. She never had a chance to try and change whatever part of her had failed him.

"Did you even want to give us a chance? Did you even want a family? Were you even planning on coming back? Or were you just going to wander forever and avoid me as if I were the plague?" She hisses, voice raising as she spews the rage that had been taking over her soul as of late. The rage that started as soon as she stopped thinking she was useless and realized that everyone else already thought she was.

Now, only a few tears can fall….
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
With love

She accepts his embrace.

She accepts his embrace.

For a moment, the world stands still. He allows himself to fall into her, to immerse himself into the smell of her mane and the sound of her voice. Their surroundings faded: the clouds were tangled in her mane, the grass in her tail, and then she was everything, surrounding him, encompassing him in her cocoon. For the first time in weeks, he felt as though perhaps he could breathe, and relax, and move forward into this life that he was always meant to have. Isn't that how it worked? The hero was faced with adversity, only to find out that, in the end, it had been entirely necessary for him to have his happy ending? For without the villainy, without the trials, he would still be ignorantly wrapped up in his own selfish ego, would never have ventured from his kingdom. Back then, he would have made a terrible king; but he would have been king nonetheless, because that's just how things were.

Now? He doesn't even recognize his former self anymore.

He is brought back into reality by his lover backing away from him, as though remembering all the wrongs he has done her and intending to lay his sins before him. He doesn't care. He will grovel at her feet, will do anything, will tell her everything, if only it means that he gains her forgiveness. He knows he will have to earn her trust - it is only fair, given the troubles he has put her through during the course of their relationship - but if there is only one thing that he knows now, it is that he cannot be without her. He has progressed far beyond the point of wanting, past the point of no return - no, he needs her now, needs her in a way that he feels in his very bones.

"Resplendence," he says, almost forcefully, heady with the need to impress upon her his regret. "Never think that you have failed me - never, do you understand? I have failed you, time and time again, and this is no different. Please, my love, I know you're angry with me, and you have every right to be. I don't deserve you, but hear me out - give me a chance to make things right.

"I was approached by a stallion who claimed that my father was alive. He insisted that my father's need was quite dire, made it sound like a life-or-death situation. I should have come to you, I know that - gods, don't I regret it every day? But, it was my father - I thought he was dead, I thought... I always thought, if there had been anything else I could have done to save him, I would have, and this felt like the chance to fix it, to help him when before I hadn't been able to. I thought I would be gone for only a few days, a week at the most, but - well, things got complicated.

"The stallion was a mercenary, and after a few weeks of seemingly aimless travel, I was able to convince him to tell me where we were going. He had been very secretive, you see, and by this time I was uncomfortable. I think I knew that I had been tricked, but even aside from that, I knew what I had left behind. I couldn't sleep for seeing your face, Resplendence. I knew what I had done to you and it killed me - every moment of every day, it killed me. The mercenary told me that he had been sent to find me and bring me back to Th'orqui. It turns out the Anarchists that overthrew my family's regime wanted to ensure that the royal line was entirely snuffed out. I might have been in trouble, but the mercenary's role was diplomatic - he was no fighter. I was able to convince him to carry a message to the Anarchists that I relinquished all claim to my throne, that I would not seek out my homeland or the crown that accompanies it.

"I came back as quickly as I could, but we had made it quite far. I went to the World's Edge, but they told me you had left. I heard that maybe I should try the Hidden Falls, so I was going to go looking for it, but - well, here you are. Resplendence, I thought of you constantly. I regretted leaving constantly. I never meant to be away for that long, never meant to leave you behind. I never wanted to cause you any pain, don't you see that? I love you, Resplendence. I love you more than I can say. If nothing else, please, never question that.

"You deserve so much more than I can offer you, my lady. I have done nothing but bring you pain and suffering, and that is so far from what you deserve. I want to be your knight in shining armor. I want to protect you. I want you to be mine, and I want to be yours. Of course I wanted a chance. Of course I wanted a family - gods, how badly I wanted a family! But I wasn't going to push you into anything until you were ready. You think I hadn't thought about it? That I hadn't considered it, wanted it? I was always going to come back to you. I never left you, not really. You're everywhere I go. I can't not think of you.

"Princess, I cannot change the past, but I can promise you my future, if you will still have me."

"more words."

@[Abba]
Quilyan

Resplendence
She backs away because she doesn’t know what to think. And, truly, when she is pressed up against his flesh she doesn't want to think. But she has to tell him. She has to ask him. She has to let him know the rage that she had been feeling. She couldn't just let it simmer as she had been. She couldn't keep taking it all out on Kaj or Kahlua. She spews out questions, pain lingering in her voice at the beginning before it turns to the anger from deep inside. Anger at the fact he had ripped so much from her so quickly.

Her name brings her attention back, back out of the depths she has started to fall into, and then she shudders. He says she can't ever think she failed him. But what other reason could there be for him to leave so suddenly, without any warning?! He says he is the one who has failed her, and she supposes it is right. Her eyes flicker, and then, before she can speak he asks her to give him a chance to explain.

A hard nod is given as she swallows, fighting back the tears at the idea that she hadn't failed him. From there, he explained that he had left for his father, who he had thought was dead, only to see that it was a rouse. Sweet words of falling asleep to her face each night lull her back, hearing how it had killed him and then how he had come back. He spoke about thinking of her constantly, missing her and regretting it all. How he had never wanted to cause the pain before repeating that he loved her. "I-I love you too," she choked out, tears brimming to the fullest at her eyes before he kept speaking again.

The words tumbled off of his maw like a waterfall. How she deserved more than the pain and suffering he kept bringing her when he only wanted to be her knight in shining armour. He says he wanted that chance - that he wanted the family. She chokes on the air, a weak whimper escaping her maw at those words before he goes on saying he had never really left (and in a sense they hadn't, for both of them continued to crave each other and imagine each other in their absence.

She's silent, until he tries to promise her his future, and then she breaks. Her ear falls to the side, and the pain starts to wash. Her body lunges forward - aching to feel her flesh against his and listen to his heartbeat. "My knight…" she whispers, maw trying to lip at his key pendant, feeling as it started to cool off with her own fear and rage dissipating. "I want you. I need your love. I… when you're there I feel like I can do anything. But when you were gone… all I could imagine was that you were broken and that I couldn't get to you to keep you alive. Or that you had found someone else… someone who wasn't as broken." She clings, pressing into his chest with her shoulder and allowing most of her barrel and haunches to press up against his shoulder - ear pressed against his flesh to listen to the beating of his heart.

"But I-I'm stronger now. I… I have some kind of purpose - a usefulness. I… I want the family I lost. I thought I was cursed to lose everyone I loved. But you're back - you're here. I can't be cursed if you're here and well." She rambles on a little bit more, making a few vague references towards her twins and cringing at the thought of their deaths. Then, finishing off the rambling she manages to state clearly, certainly, "I want that family with you, if you still want one Quil…" Her golden eyes searching for his gaze - nothing but love, (and for once in her life) strength, and peace was radiating in her orbs. There was no fear, no uncertainty, no nervousness.

She had grown so much in ways no one would have thought possible…
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
With love

She listens in a tense silence, and he cannot blame her for trying to keep her distance. How many times now has he broken her? How much pain has he caused her, inadvertently though it may have been? Does he have the right to ask for another chance, to promise her a better future? Hasn't he said it before, promised her something that, for some reason, he hasn't been able to give her? How is she to know that this time is different, that he knows his place now, and that his place is by her side? What is he to do to prove his love, his loyalty - or will he even get the chance? What if she says no, what if she walks away? Should he let her go? Would she be happier that way? If he thought it would be better, he would let her go, no matter how much it hurt - but he knows that he is the best thing for her, that their relationship is stronger than anything he could have ever imagined. All she has to do is say yes.

He waits, broken and humble before her, searching her eyes as though somehow they hold the key to her heart. His pendant is warm against his chest, but suddenly it cools, an she lunges forward, and she is pressed against him and he against her, and nothing else matters because she wants him, even now, even after everything. "I could never find someone else, Resplendence. You are all I have, all I truly care for. You are everything to me." He is earnest, need breaking into his normally calm vocals. He doesn't need his magic, not for this - he is healing her without even trying, soothing her with only himself. He had forgotten that he could do that.

"Since I met you, Resplendence, all I've wanted was a future with you. I am ashamed that I was never able to live up to that, that I never held my promises. I am ashamed that I left you behind, however just the cause. I have been so afraid to find you, terrified that you wouldn't want me, that you would have realized that you deserve so much better. I am so sorry, my lady. I am so, so sorry.

"But I promise you, what I wanted has never changed. I want you. I have wanted you since I met you. Yes, I want a family with you. I want - no, I need a life with you. I need your forgiveness,"
he finishes in a whisper, touching his muzzle to hers, their eyes locked. He breathes her in, then traces a line along her cheek, his breath warm on her skin. He lips at her mane bit by bit, reaching as far down her neck as he can reach without displacing her from her position pressed against him. His voice is husky when he pleads with her again. "Say yes, princess. Say yes and I'm yours for the rest of my days. Say yes and start a life with me."

"more words."

@[Abba]
Quilyan

Resplendence
He says that he could never find anyone else. It's those words that break what little wall she still had up against him. She was his and that's all that mattered to her anymore. He speaks of the future, of the shame that filled him, and she wished that she could take it away from him. To make him understand he didn't need to be ashamed. "You made me stronger." She explains, maw breathing against his chest in time with his own breathing. "If you hadn't left me, if you hadn't broken the promises I wouldn't be this strong," she tells him before he continues to promise her.

He says that it has never changed and that he wants a family, needs a life and her forgiveness. Their muzzles touch and then brushes a line across her cheeks. Her eyes close, breath getting caught in her chest as the longing rockets forth. He lips at her mane, reaching as far as he can without moving her and her own maw is lipping across his flesh in a delicate dance. She can feel her heart rate quicken, stomach twisting and her breathing speed up and fall shallow. He pleads for her to say yes - husky, as if he is just barely restraining the desire, and it's all Valiance can do to keep from shooting flames when he knows Res is happy. "Don't want. Not seeing." Valiance hisses, disgusted by knowing he'll still see all of this. Instantly, he shoots away from her - flying far off and doing everything to ignore what he didn't doubt was going to happen.

Her eyes shine as her heart pounds in her ear, voice a higher but hoarser pitch than before, "Yes," she says, nostrils flaring as she moves delicately away - far more graceful than before, far more alluring. Her body arches, sliding across his flesh as her neck arches and carriage turns completely collected. She almost prances, eyes taunting as she nips at his feathers - as if to tug them and beg him to come play. Her tail raises, flicking back and forth in an enticing manner before she peers at him from a small distance off from behind her forelock.

It's like her body is on fire - raging with the passion she'd always had but been afraid to show. Every single nerve is on overload and she craves the feeling of his flesh against hers. She craves the warmth of his caress and the scent of his pelt that always lingered upon hers after she had hid under the embrace of his wings. She craves the love and passion that she is finally ready to accept.

The mare before him is different. The mare before him is strong and confident - longing for everything to finally work, to consummate their bonding as mates. No longer is she fragile - no longer can she be broken. She is now the epitome of perfection and lust, and the raging fire from her hormones was begging for her to be used to his wishes.
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
With love

If there was any salvation in his sins, it was that she had found the strength to live without him. It was one thing to need someone for comfort and reassurance and another to decide to want someone. Resplendence could take care of herself now, has found a place in the world - and yet, still she wants him. She chooses him, and that it is her choice now speaks more for her love than any action she could have taken.

Valiance takes flight, but the prince is barely aware. He is intoxicated, blinded by his lover and the sudden, unexpected turn that their reunion has taken. In the past, he always felt that he had to treat her as a fragile flower, liable to break into pieces at the slightest provocation. The mare he sees before him now is whole, complete, confident - an entirely new persona layered into his beloved. He cannot keep his eyes off her. He cannot help the desire - no, the need to touch her. Zarina grumbles, scampering along his back and using his tail as a ladder until she reaches the ground, cursing the dragon for leaving her behind. Instead, she leaves the pair to their - ahem - activities and decides to explore the Fields.

He doesn't care. He barely even notices.

"Yes," she murmurs, and he leans into her only to find that she is withdrawing from his embrace. He starts to follow, desperate in his need to feel her against him, but stops, wanting to witness this newfound confidence that she has come to possess. He groans aloud as she slides by, her touch leaving trails of fire along his body; he nips at her, gentle but firm all at once, a request and a demand. As she steps briefly away, he prances alongside, caressing every inch of her he can reach. He wants her, needs her, in a way that he never could have anticipated, never having allowed himself to think this far into their future. There had always been something in the way.

But now, it is only her.

Now, she is his.

After, they stand together in the Fields, his wing draped casually across her back. He sighs with contentment, nuzzling from her nape to her cheek. "I love you," he breathes, and in his words there is a depth that there has never been, a newfound respect for her and all that she can accomplish without him, an understanding of the strength that she has gained. There is peace and there is adoration, and there is gratefulness, for she has forgiven him, and their life together is beginning. They will face the future as a pair, never again to be torn apart by the darkness lingering in the world.

She is his.

He is hers.

They are one.

"more words."

@[Abba]
Quilyan

Resplendence
Their bodies seem to meld in some unspoken game. The way that their flesh connects - leaving nerves so sensitive across her hide. The way he nips just strongly enough to let her know he was wrapped around her hoof. Her steps away are met instantly with his own prancing, caresses clinging to her pelt as she finally stops. One last look in his eyes and she sees the hunger that she doesn't doubt is matched in her own.

Now it would always be 'they' for she was his and she craved it.

Her nerves are tingling, eyes lingering shut as she leans into his touch. His wing draped across her back and resting there as he let out a sigh. His maw dancing across her flesh in a caring manner that he had done so many times before. He says that he loves her, but those words seem to carry so much more weight than they used to. A gentle smile curves the edges of her lips as she tries to press her maw against his cheek. "I will always love you," she whispers.

Alas, it has been a long day, from her traveling and incessant worries. It was taking a toll on her normal strength and almost all that she wanted to do was to sleep. Gently, she tugs at his mane, ear flickering upward. "Sleep a while before heading back?" she inquires, allowing her knees to buckle and body to collapse to the ground. Secretly, she hoped that he would join her - sprawling out in the vibrant fields of mists and high grasses before returning to the Edge.

She waits for a moment for him to get settled before allowing her orbs to close and breathing to finally ease into the pace for sleep. Valiance finally returns, giving a few disgusted clicks at Quilyan (trying to figure out how to erase these memories) before curling up in the hole she created with her neck and chest. Soon, the two drifted to sleep with Res dreaming of being pregnant and Valiance dreaming of ways to block out certain images from their bond.

Yea. The latter probably wouldn't actually work, but he still insisted on trying.
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
With love