the Rift

[OPEN] how do you make holy water?

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

k a h l u a

With so much going on in the world- death, and the serial murderer, the disappearance of the beautiful island above the veins, the Lady Moon being banished to the Edge, and Father Earth approaching her about birthing his child, the Sunshower had found little time to complete the quest he had sent her on. Still, with the Lady Moon and her darkness settled within the Edge, the queen knew that now, more than ever, she needed to be thinking of her family and the quest that he had sent her on.

It was Tandavi’s brain that had really helped her through figuring the quest all out- the poor queen hadn’t really understood what entailed sterilizing water. Unfortunately, the queen had run off from that meeting before anything could really be decided… bad memories and all. Memories of Aurelia’s challenge against her, and the snake companion that she had killed, were too strong for her. Shaking her head to rid herself of thoughts of that terrible time, the queen instead focused on what needed to be done now.

Around her neck, the vial that Parelia had made for her was hung by a vine that was tied around the neck of the bottle. Khan had been kind enough to help her with that small project. The lid that fit on the bottle was just perfect- a snug fit so that once the water was sterilized by Tandavi (if she could be found again) it would not become re-contaminated. Perhaps unhelpfully, but often present on her adventures, her metal scorpion rode in her forelock, clicking and whirring in time with the music that the earth around her created.

Perhaps best of all, was that she had company on this early morning trip (better to travel before the sun rose too high, during Tallsun). She was ashamed to say that she had not gotten to know Archibald nearly as well as she would have liked, but Kaj seemed to care for him quite deeply and so she had not been distrustful when the Stormbringer had suggested the Dauntless be promoted. Still, despite the lighthearted nature of their trip together, the queen could not help but worry about her people.

“What do you think of the moon goddess being amongst our herd?” she asked with a sigh, turning a blue eye skyward as she waddled along beside the massive beast. If her belly wide with foal wasn’t enough to remind her of the time she had spent in Father Earth’s gentle embrace, Archibald’s size was reminiscent of that time. Truth be told, it wasn’t her fondest memory.

@[Archibald]

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes

Image Credits :: Table by Time

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Archibald moved silently at Kahlua's side, the light that filtered through the trees dull and blurred as it splashed across his dark hide, a testament to the rising sun on the horizon. He did not speak, simply he moved alongside the female, eyes searching around them. Kahlua was filling the silence herself. Her scorpion clicked and whirred mechanically, reminding Archibald of the bronze and black unicorn's metal wolf he had battle with some time ago. The Dauntless suspected the painted woman received the scorpion from the same stallion, but how the woman was able to talk such a demented beast into giving a gift was beyond the titan. Alongside the mechanical clickings of the scorpion, the world sang around Kahlua. Archibald was not accustomed to this constant noise, and his ears twitched some, as if attempting to shake the music from his head.

Loretta padded on the opposite side of the queen. Kahlua was settled well in an Archibald-and-Loretta-sandwich. The desire to protect the Sunshower was high, solidified in such a manner by her swelling sides. Archibald did not ask her of her endeavor, for it was not in his nature to pry, nor was the information his business. Loretta, on the other hand, was drastically curious. I figured her too daft! I want to know...how...and who. Loretta snapped at Archibald, but the warlord merely dismissed her thoughts. It is not for you to know.

The queen, finally, broke their half-silence. Archibald tipped an ear down to her, golden eyes moving to look on her soft blue eyes as she cast them skyward. Archibald sighed, deeply, letting the tension in his chest finally fall. "The Moon Goddess...she took the love of my life away from me." Archibald's voice was quiet and calm, meant only for Kahlua's ears, but there was an ever-present ring of the pain he felt inside. "With her in our forest I am constantly on edge." No pun intended. "I do not trust her, and she knows all of our loyalty has faltered. We're not safe, Kahlua. It's that simple." Archibald sighed again, molten gold eyes tracing over their path. He did not want to upset the woman, especially with her child inside of her so sensitive to the outside word, as he knew well, but he needed to be completely honest and upfront with her always. Even if he was not standing as a king beside her, she was still his queen, and she deserved his openness, as much as he did not want to share any of his pain with her.

It was too much to bear.

Archibald the Dauntless    
a lionhearted king among warriors
DRAWING BY AEOLLE

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

k a h l u a

If she was aware of Archibald’s discontent at the general din that followed her, she did not show it. For her own part, she rather enjoyed the way the wind seemed to sing, and the crickets seemed to keep time, and the branches seemed to creak at just the right moment. Still, the sounds of the trees were not real company, and having Archibald around was something of a comfort. When there was so much evil in the world, and when everything between her and Kaj was crashing back to the ground, it was good to know that she still had friends on this earth.

Loretta, too, was a blessing, although perhaps she was not so lucky to be on this trip. Bored of the walking, Khan began to circle overhead and swoop down at the bitch from time to time, attempting to brush his wings over her back and perhaps entice her into a game of chase. Perhaps if knew the warrior’s heart that she possessed, he would not be so quick to risk his life. Nevertheless, he cawed and flapped, tossing his moustache about, seeing what response she might make.

As for the queen and her troubles, for a moment she almost forgot about them. Archibald’s mate, taken? She hadn’t known. Her heart broke for the warrior. She had always imagined him stoic and above such matters, but a stoic heart could love just as deeply as an emotional one. “Oh Archibald,” she cooed softly, extending her nose up to him in some sort of condolences, if he would have it. “I’m so sorry.”

And though the beast worried that he might upset her, or cause her to fret, the queen had had this very same conversation with Resplendence not so long ago. “Res said the same thing… that we’re not safe. I just… I just don’t know what to do.” Frowning, she sighed. She had not given voice to her concerns in front of Res, but perhaps her fellow King would understand. “I wondered if we should approach one of the other herds, as a show against her- to show her we’re not weak and that we don’t approve of what she’s done. But Archi, if we go to another herd we will be nothing but citizens there. I can’t ask our council, you and Kaj, to give up the positions that they have worked so hard for. Imagine Res and Aly, no longer Moon Doctors. Imagine Nasreen, no longer our Seer. And the wilds are just as unsafe… At least if we’re in trouble in the Edge, our friends might know where to find us.”

Her voice never grew optimistic as she spoke, because there was little to be optimistic about. Archibald was right, they were not safe, but where would they go? Angling down the path that would lead them to the ruby colored pool (she knew it well, having gathered stones there several times) she wondered what he might say in response.

@[Archibald]

Her words were a comfort, for as they left her maw Archibald knew they were true and heartfelt. As little as the queen knew of the Dauntless, she cared for him as she did all she called friend. Archibald knew this of her not because she had told him, but he had seen it. He saw the affection and adoration in her eyes when she spoke about her herd, her followers, her people, her loved ones. He remembered the pained expression that laced across her face for having to fight someone she loved, Aurelia, and he knew it was not because of the blows the fiery pegasus had dealt. It was because as Kahlua danced away from the challenger her heart was breaking into a million tiny, sharp shards that ripped her insides apart. He could not thank her for her condolences, for it would be no match to how true they had been, but he simply nodded and let her touch her muzzle to him.

Kahlua wanted to leave, but for the sake and protection of those she loved. Archibald gave her that dignity and stayed silent, letting his own thoughts roll over in his war-machine of a mind. Archibald sighed again. Loretta looked out at the path before them, but chimed in. We can't stay there. Just like we couldn't live here with the Grey all those years ago. Archibald looked to his companion and nodded, then spoke to his queen, his equal. "I will go north. Ophelia is the Lady of the Basin and her and I have history, we are close friends. They are our strongest alliance. I will seek her counsel. We cannot harbor a traitor, a god who throws herself around with no regard to the horses that follow her. If we must go, we will go as a stronghold family, and we will rule. We cannot become complacent in the face of all this tragedy." Archibald let the woman paint the words' meaning for herself, but his serious expression would hopefully aid what he wanted to convey to her.

Archibald the Dauntless    
DRAWING BY AEOLLE

Through the ages of time

please tag me

k a h l u a

The darkness of the forest seemed appropriate for the heavy conversations that passed between the two. Had the queen ever even thought of leaving the Edge before? Of asking her herd to go with her to some other place? No, but then, the stakes had never before been so high. A goddess who would change the heart of a mortal just for her own amusement? What was there to do? It was the same question, rolling around, poking and prodding at her soul, expecting her to give an answer when she didn’t even understand all of the parameters. She wanted to shut down, to just ignore it all, to pretend that nothing bad could happen, and yet…

Her personality had not been idle while in Helovia and her heart had not been steady. She had grown and learned, become something greater than she had ever been before. Change was not without pain, of course, and she felt that now. She could have shut down, ignored what was breaking her, and felt the nothingness that came with ignoring problems. However, she had learned that ignoring problems rarely made them go away. Kaj had asked her to face her troubles, and so she had been trying. Being angry at him did not change her resolve now.

She came to the edge of the pool as Archibald was speaking. Khan abandoned his seemingly futile attempts to harass the bitch, and instead took the bottle from around her neck, untopped it, and dipped it into the water, filling it with the clear liquid- a pure container and a pure water. Only one more step… But for Archibald, it seemed there were many more. “Going north seems like a good idea,” she mused softly as Khan settled the bottle back around her neck. As for the rest, a family, ruling, leaving. She was torn, and she wasn’t sure what to say. She had thought of it, but perhaps it was easy to think of because she had never really thought of it as a potential reality. Archibald was talking about this is a true course of action, and in many ways it scared her.

Turning back, to head back out of the forest, she lost herself in thought. “I just wish we knew how to deal with the Lady Moon.”

@[Archibald]

"As much as the Earth God has gifted me," Archibald motioned to Loretta just as the dog nipped at the dive-bombing blue dragon, "I am not a pious stallion. It seems, as well, that none of her brothers are willing to help. I do not know how to deal with her." It was all truth, Archibald was just as much at a loss as his fellow Queen was. "All we can do is do the best we can to protect those left that we love." Archibald nodded, looking down on his delicate painted counterpart. She was so innocent and so full of compassion that it nearly hurt the Dauntless for her to be in such a place. Her responsibility as much, and she did not bear the same broad shoulders (figuratively and legitimately) that he did as a leader. Was her skin strong enough not to break with the lashings of others? No. It was not. At least, not as strong as his. He imagined how tears looked welling up on the surface of those righteous blue eyes and spilling over the surface, racing down, down, down her face as she choked and sobbed and mourned. Grimacing, noticeably, Archibald shook his head and looked away. The stallion picked his pace up to a light trot, suddenly agitated with all of the thoughts rolling around in his mind.

Archibald stopped, however, when Kahlua and Khan stopped to gather water from the pool. Archibald watched, silent, and gave a sigh as he examined the forest around them. Images of his bloody and burned body crashing down at the shores of this pool flashed in his mind like a strobe light. He remembered the healer, Tor, stitching his flesh back together. He remembered his brother, his twin, his wombmate, Vincent, snorting and moving around worriedly at finding his undefeatable brother in such a state. He remembered standing here, gaining entrance and a position of leadership with the Grey alongside the Constrictor and the Forsaken, twins he held dear in his heart. He remembered seeing glimpses and flashes of the warrior, his mate-to-be, Circe. He remembered their capture of the mare so much like Birch. He remembered turning Aaron's bones to stone and turning the stallion-colt against him.

"Kahlua, my children are in the Dragon's Throat." Loretta pressed her forehead to Archibald's knee as Kahlua turned to walk away, back toward their home, and Archibald turned to follow. His face was dark, golden eyes dull and stormy, and his bitch trotted silently at his side. She glanced up at the blue momentarily, wondering if he would come swooping towards her again. Should he, he would be brought to chase. Loretta needed a game. The malamute missed her sisters very dearly.

Archibald the Dauntless    
DRAWING BY AEOLLE

Through the ages of time

please tag me