the Rift

[OPEN] !! 1961

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She would admit that the threshold was… interesting. How on earth did someone allow for their child to wander out of their care for even thirty minutes without realizing? More importantly, how did this child make it across the country and to the Threshold from the Throat? It had to be a week's walk, if not more for a child so young, and he had made it there.

That idea sickened her. It sickened her so much. But, she wouldn't worry too much about that now. Not yet, at least. December was with the foal, ensuring that he got home. So, Resplendence's job was to bring Nyx back with her. It was time that the family came back to the Edge. It was time that some parts of the world began to fit well together again. That had been all she had wanted, and slowly they were all joining, they were all returning.

Valiance puffed up - swinging forward easily into the air and disappearing into the forest of the Edge as they pulled up toward the border. Her own limbs shifted effortlessly across the broken shards of glass - managing to avoid them all as she pulled up to the side of the Edge where her garden was located.

"Welcome back home, Nyx. Would you like the be a soldier again?" she inquires, a gentle smile upon her maw as she stops at the border to give Nyx a chance to settle back in to it all. After all, she had been gone for so long it was only logical that she would need a moment or two to gather herself. The Edge had changed since the darkness, but it also was starting to thrive in areas that it hadn't appeared to originally.

Sometimes change was good, right?

@[Nyx] && anyone else who wants to welcome Nyx back
Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

HER SMILE'S BOTH PLEASURE AND PAIN, AND HER GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

The walk is every bit as long as she remembers. Last time she did this, she had Nato, Lace and his white dragon by her side. This time she has a lion in place of Nato, Resplendence instead of Lace, and a red rather than a white dragon guiding them home. Home. In a way Isilme will always be the storm queen's home, yet the Edge will forever hold a soft spot for her, a veritive jar of pleasant memories. Not-so-pleasant ones too, of course, like the darkness and the demons, yet she chooses not to think of those in favour of all the hours, days and weeks spent happy within the herd's confines. She reminds herself to keep a keen eye out for that damned glass wall, so as not to faceplant it like she had done last time. She does, however, refrain from telling Dominus about it - she thinks it may bring the arrogant feline down a few pegs if he walks into a nearly-invisible wall, plus she fancies a good hearty laugh at his expense.

Resplendence speaks, and the silver soldier's ears flick forwards to listen. Delight flashes across her features, frozen gaze lighting up. "I would love that, yes. Dominus and I have been practicing our talents whilst out in the wilderness, and we are both eager to serve the Edge with our lives. I would do everything in my power to become the Edge's finest warrior." With the magic that she's still getting used to, the white lion by her side and her own natural guile, she thinks herself quite the potent would-be protector of the Edge.

Dominus prowls behind the chatting mares, bone still clutched doglike in his powerful jaws. Like a pale shadow he makes no noise upon silent paws, expertly avoiding twigs and stones. But even Dominus - killer of hundreds, white warrior of the wilderness - cannot avoid what he cannot see, and the yelp that comes from him is like nothing Nyx has ever heard before. Resplendence is momentarily forgotten as she snaps around towards her companion, feeling agony shoot through her foreleg in sympathy with whatever injury her bonded has obtained. She may be willing to watch him walk into glass walls and obtain a few bruises, but they are one soul, and she would never wish true pain upon him. He is the most important thing in her life, and he is hurt. His bone is cast aside, forgotten, as he begins to limp a few steps before finally crashing his hindquarters to the ground with a savage hiss. She can feel pain and confusion ebbing through their conjoined minds as he looks at his right forepaw, where the source of the agony seems to be coming from.

In the glinting light of the sun she sees it - glass. A shard of glass, pricked straight through the tender pad and now lodged firmly in place, drenched with bright red blood.

Nyx's hooves crunch on it as she moves towards Dominus, and she looks down in awe. Broken glass, everywhere. "The wall..." She looks to Resplendence, who had avoided the shards with expert ease, and there's confusion in her expression and side-pointed ears. "What happened to the wall? Did it shatter?" It must have taken some force to cause this sort of damage, but right now the mare is too focused on her companion's plight to ask any more questions. His sharp features are furrowed with pain, his tongue lolling as he pants, every muscle quivering with obvious discomfort. He holds the paw up, unable to let it touch the ground, and Nyx lowers her muzzle to sniff at it. She is no healer, not any more, and she doesn't even know where to start with yanking a piece of glass out of a carnivore's paw. She turns back to the other mare, worried, not knowing what to do, eyes pleading for any advice she can get. Give her a battlefield and she's right at home - give her a single obnoxious blade of glass and she's helpless.

@[Resplendence]

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Resplendence

Nyx said that they had been working upon their talents in their absence. And, with a gentle look between mare and lion Res could only assume by talents she meant those relating to battle. There is a gentle smile across Res' maw as the mare says they were eager to dedicate their lives to the Edge and do all they could to become the finest warrior.

Alas, Res did not think to warn of the glass that was scattered across the ground. She had gotten so used to it lately that she didn't even have to think much about where she stepped. It was the sound of a horrid yelp that had her spinning around, watching as the grey mare shoots toward her lion who has dropped his bone and is now limping a few steps. As he drops to his hindquarters with a hiss Res pulls herself forward to try and get a closer look at what is happening.

It is words of awe that fall from Nyx's lips as she says something about the wall, asking what had happened to it to make it shatter. "We don't know… when we came back to the caves it was in ruins. It has been this way for seasons - I believe the crafters have slowly been working on removing the remains and using it for other things," she tries to explain before inching in closer as Nyx sniffs at the piece of glass only to turn back to Res.

Res ear flickers backward in uncertainty as she calls for Valiance. Within moments he has descended back from the sky and lands upon the ground right next to Dominus. "Please don't snap at him - he's going to pull it out, and then I'll heal it," Res explains, a tinge of sadness upon her tone. It is only after the warning and a few clicks from Valiance that he scuttles forward, snagging the glass in his talons and then wiggling it free until he thinks he has a good enough grip. Once certain he does he gives it a big yank, his body shooting backwards, wings spread out to dull the blow and slow his landing, though he still scrapes his back across the ground. Res winces, a few of his feathers now strewn across the soil and mixing in with the glass shards and the twigs.

It is only when Valiance moves that Res calls upon the mist magic she had grown so used to but only recently been given back. Shadows crawl from the ground, mixing with the mists and then wrapping around Dominus' paw. It looks as though it shrinks, to fit him like a glove, before it all trails into the wound. Carefully, it reknits his flesh before rushing out, and disappearing as if it were evaporating back into the mists that clung around them. "I'm sorry I didn't warn you earlier. It's been so long I forgot that you hadn't been back to see the destruction."

There is a pause as Res shuffles her weight. "It might be best if you follow my steps until we get Valiance lands again," she explains as Valiance takes to the air, letting out a puff of smoke in agitation with the fact he just went flying by pulling out a piece of glass. But, before he starts to take the lead, he carefully drops the blood covered piece in front of Nyx, to keep if she so wished. "Kaj and Archibald are the Kings, Kahlua is the Queen," Res starts to explain, "and we now have three leaders, which is a little strange. I'm not quite certain who is in charge of the warriors anymore - though I'm certain Kaj or Archibald could fill you in. I'm going back towards my garden. If we don't see them on the way there, then we can look for them just after - I need to check on a few herbs and make sure they didn't die yet."

Hopefully the grey mare would be fine with that, though Res knew she would do all she could to help Nyx regardless. She was, after all, a part of her family.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

An Edge without the wall...it seems wrong, somehow. She wonders if it was the darkness that shattered it, the demons possessed by the filth that roamed Helovia using their cruel powers to break the Edge's best line of defence. Panic begins to build in her chest as Dominus uses his jaws to try and pull the glass, but he cannot get the angle right and only succeeds in wiggling it deeper into the coarse flesh of his pad. Something akin to a whimper leaves him, a sound that grates deep into the silver soldier's ears and combines with the pain she can feel throbbing through their mental bond. Nyx has never heard the lion make an audible noise of pain before, so she knows it must be bad for him to be in such obvious discomfort. His pure feline pride makes him stand and attempt to limp forwards again, but he can't keep his balance and soon returns to his hindquarters, his usually proud back arched and hollowed and quivering with agony.

When the red dragon nears him, despite Resplendence's coaxing he gives a feral snarl and ejects his razor-edged claws so they press deep into the glass-laden dirt. "Don't!" warns Nyx, her mental voice loud and authorative. He rarely listens to her - defiant, imbued with testosterone and male pride, the lion is not the sort to obey her like a common dog - but she prays to all the gods that he chooses now to start doing so. "He's going to help you. Please, you must let him." With his blue eyes fixed on and narrowed dangerously at Valiance, the beast finally allows his claws to retract, leaving his paw free to be operated on. Those fierce eyes, dulled with pain, never leave the red-scaled dragon as his talons grasp the offending glass, his entire body spasming in a wince as the razor-edged blade digs deeper into his skin. When the dragon yanks backwards and the glass pulls free, the initial shot of pain is like a razor-edged scream that rockets through the nervous system of both lion and mare. Nyx's ears pin and her eyes water as she draws some of Dominus' pain into herself to relieve him of it, her hoof pawing against the ground as though it is she having the glass removed.

But finally, finally, the pain begins to dull. Dominus gasps with relief, his thrashing tail seizing its frantic waving to rest stoicly behind him, tongue lolling. A mist descends and floats between them, and Nyx feels her lion's awe as his torn and ravaged flesh begins to sew back together, as good as new. "Thank you both," says the silver one, her head dipping in obvious gratitude. Rarely have they met a foe that they cannot defeat; apparently glass is one such foe. "Dominus says thank you, too," she adds, although the lion has done nothing of the sort. He does not do gratitude, and returns to his paws to fetch his bone as though nothing had happened.

Valiance drops the blood-soaked piece of glass by her feet but the mare kicks it away, sickened by the fact something so small had caused her bonded so much grief. She follows the dragon and his bonded carefully, Dominus following closely behind her and ensuring he scans the ground for hidden torture this time. She shakes her head at Resplendence's apology. "There's no need to apologise. It is just...quite a shock, to see that such a feat has been destroyed. The wall was magnificent." She looks mournfully at the shattered remains, saddened by it. The wall had made the Edge special, not to mention safe. Its loss...it is a cause for great sorrow from the grey female.

The younger mare explains that the herd now has three leaders, including Archibald. Nyx remembers the large man with his little shit of a pet dog - he had defeated her in battle. He has her respect for that, although she wouldn't trust him as far as she could throw him (in other words, not at all) after he used that look-I-can-turn-your-bones-to-stone-isn't-it-fun magic on her during their fight. She will serve him loyally, though, largely because of that battle - he is a leader she can trust in times of war. "Have you any sort of rank?" she asks. The kindly mare seems like she deserves one, and Nyx would be more than happy to put in a good word for her. She nods as the other mentions checking her herbs, deciding to pay attention to anything she can learn - as the glass incident had proven, healing skills could be just as valuable as fighting skills. "What else has happened in Helovia since my absence?" she questions. She wants to know all the gossip!

@[Resplendence]

Resplendence

Resplendence is afraid, for a moment, that the lion is going to eat Valiance. But, finally, he seems to gives in and allow the dragon to do his work Then, she allows for the magic granted by the Moon Goddess to swarm around the creature's paw and sew his flesh back to how it was originally. Nyx offers gratitude for the both of them before kicking away the piece of bloodied glass and beginning to follow after the claybank mare as she moves back into the herd lands.

Nyx says that there is no need to apologizing for forgetting to warn the pair and then explains how it was a shock. "It was. But, now I just want this gone. There are too many memories of pain associated with it being broken like so." Res murmured before shifting her direction a little and going back towards the garden. She is then asked if she holds a rank. Res's crown bobbed lightly as she pulled up toward the garden. "Yes, I do. I'm one of the Moon Doctor's, currently. Alysanne is the other - a black and white painted pegasus." She said, offering a little explanation before she is inquired about what else had happened in her absence.

So much had happened, and Res struggled to figure out where to start. "Well… an island appeared - floating in the sky. Along with it came what seemed to be a nice time of peace. However… soon after a spree of murders happened. Apparently… apparently the Moon Goddess was the main culprit of it all. She's been… banished to our lands for the moment. Right now everything is just… unsettled. No one is quite sure what to make of this…" There is a shudder, eyes flickering shut for a moment as she takes a deep breath in. Then, she slides up against the edge of her garden and begins to rip out a few weeds so that the important herbs could continue to breath and get the nutrients that they wanted.

It only took a few minutes before the mare was finished, and she started to move again. "All done," she explained, offering a gentle smile. "Let's see if we can't find someone else who can help you more with the warrior information." Res said before starting off toward the center of the lands.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The beastly king and his ever-faithful companion, once more, moved through the depths of the forest in perfect rhythm. They were finished patrolling the borders for the day, and they found their day quite uneventful, save for running a large-pawed lynx away from the heart of his territory. The feline was awfully desperate to come hunting so far in, when game was so strong and abundant in the growing Tallsun. The Dauntless had intended to kill the cat, but chasing it out of the herdland and hearing the sound of pain it had made when his steel-wrapped hoof came in contact with it's hip solidified in his mind that the lynx would not be returning.

Loretta's tongue lolled from her cage-like jaws, and her keen nose twitched as it picked up a familiar scent. Nyx here. She gave over their mental bond, ears perking up and forward. Archibald turned his shoulders to follow the scent, his ears catching the voices in the distance. Many seasons had passed since he had been acquainted with the steely mare, and he wondered what she was doing in his forest. His jaw set and his face hardened as he slowed his pace, stepping out of the treeline behind the two mares as they conversed together. Archibald cleared his throat, to announce his presence, but it was not completely necessary. He shook the ground with his titan frame, the earth bending in submission to his very existence.

Archibald lifted a brow, simply, hearing the very edge of Resplendence's words. So, Nyx wanted to be in his army, serve his herd as one of his warriors. "Nyx, welcome." Archibald's voice is stoic, golden eyes straight on and unmoved. Loretta's eyes danced towards the white lion, and her amber optics narrow some. The girl who is so afraid of me gets a lion. I bet that was a fucking joy for her. There is a sarcastic chuckle laced throughout Loretta's words, and Archibald lets a bellowing laugh caw through their bond. He conveyed nothing, however, except stoic authority as he continued to speak to the steely mare. "You have prowess in battle, that is something I know personally. I expect my warriors to strive for their best and I do not accept failure." The behemoth did not feel he had to question her understanding of his words like he had Alysanne's son. Nyx was competent, and he knew she would work hard.

Archibald the Dauntless

I Am a Stone, Unaffected
Rain Hell Down Onto Me
Flesh and Bone, Unaffected
Your Fool I Will Not Be

image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

SO MANY SORRIES FOR THE WAIT

Resplendence speaks of pain associated with the glass, and behind the mares Dominus gives a wry snort. Tell me about it, she hears him say. "I can imagine," replies the silver mare to Resplendence, sympathy obvious in her voice. It must have taken some balls to go on living here after the darkness, as it had been hard enough for Nyx to rebuild her shattered confidence far outside Helovia. The other woman reveals she is a Moon Doctor, which Nyx assumes to mean healer - that explains her ability to sew together Dominus' torn paw, anyway.

They continue to walk, Nyx's head swinging side to side to drink in the familiar sights of the Edge. Home. Heavens, how she loves this place! There is a spring in her step despite the run-in with the grass, ears held high and erect like a yearling filly at the sheer enjoyment of being back here. She listens as Resplendence explains about the appearance of an island in the sky, which is most odd - not that talking white lions, dragons and magical powers aren't odd too. Eyes widen in shock as she hears of murders carried out by the Moon Goddess, and they almost boggle out of her head at the news that the merry murderess is now here. "Wait, so we have a possibly immortal, unbelievably powerful, mildly psychopathic, murder-happy deity in our midst?" What could possibly go wrong? "I can see why people may be a bit unsettled," she adds, hardly able to believe her ears.

She watches as her companion begins to pull out a few herbs, watching intently and trying to take note of which ones she picks. After all, if they have a murderer just chilling amongst them, it might come in handy to know which plants heal and which ones harm. Alas, anything green looks all the same to Nyx, so she hopes she will have someone like Resplendence on hand should she receive a serious injury.

The quivering of the ground snatches her attention from Resplendence, and a hiss of displeasure erupts from Dominus as he whisks around to place his powerful frame between the oncoming stallion and Nyx. There is little need, though; the silver soldier recognises the man immediately. However could she forget? "Archibald," she greets, inclining her horned head in acknowledgement and respect of him and his dog. That bloody dog - indeed, there is an element of irony that Nyx, loather of carnivores, ended up bonded to one. Fate must certainly be laughing her ass off at that little coincidence, but she wouldn't exchange Dominus for anything now she is accompanied with his predatory presence in her head. She nods at the newly ascended king's words, jaw setting into a determined line. "I will not fail you. What would you have me do?" Practice, patrol, all of the above? The more, the better - the mare hungers to prove herself.

@[Resplendence] @[Archibald]

Resplendence

There was very little recognition of Resplendence when Archibald arrived shaking the ground and clearing his throat to announce his presence. Though, she wasn't quite sure that it really mattered. He welcomed Nyx, apparently having met her before (or fought her, his words sure seemed to indicate so) and saying that they would strive for their best, not accepting failure.

Res stands idly by, her long tail flickering uneasily as Valiance settled atop the mare's back. Social was not necessarily Resplendence's strong suite, though she did try. Limbs shifted. She asked what he would have her do, and with that Resplendence felt like her job was done. Turning a little after a respectful bow, she allowed a few words to flicker from her lips. "If you need me, I shall be at my garden." There is a light pause as she glances to both Nyx and Archibald, "Nyx, Archibald," and then bows her head for both of them in turn. "I hope to see you both once more under peaceful circumstances."

It is then that Valiance takes to the skies once more and Res turns back toward her garden. Yes, perhaps now was time that she rested beneath her canopy and reset after a long week of travels and depletion of her energy. She moved off quickly at a trot, Valiance already nearing the garden and messing with the canopy to open it wide enough for his bonded to slip through. He even moved some of the weeds they had been pulling out to create a a cushion for the half of her frame to press up against as it rested upon the ground.

When I'm ready to fall
With love