the Rift

[OPEN] Hate
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
M
I
D
A
S
There was nothing left to say. Nor to do. I abandon their gathering when the bloodthirsty, heartbroken congregation dispersed. Dazed. Trailed off with staggering slowness into the deep forest; and once submerged in those sinking shadows, the full weight and finality of my loss sunk in. Crown drifts low, heavy and running square into the solid trunk of a towering oak without much force. Lids shut themselves against the fevered agony that was my mind.

This body felt hot, prickly, uncomfortable. My throat was dry, like someone had poured a bucket of sand down it. Eventually I pealed myself off yon timber and drifted, like a ghost to a nearby stream. The water was cool, comforting. Muzzle dove deep, suckling with such frantic appetite, not realizing until it was to late that those same quenching droplets were going to unsettle and slosh around my gut till I felt nauseous.

Aye, indeed. There were other things at work. A fever began to set in. I quivered during the first mile, feeling both hot and cold. A pent groan was sucked into the air; the surrounding darkness seemed to absorb each breath with thick acceptance, making my chest feel tight and turning something as simple as the act of breathing hard won. A dry laugh cracked loose, splintered, "He's dead...dead...dead." Head knocked back and forth, throbbing. There were dark spots appearing in my vision, "A half God," another faint laugh, "Takes a God to kill a God." Fina was pressing into my mind, I violently shoved her away. Dim realization told me she was shocked. "Go away," I muttered, still crackling like a dry twig. Stress made the body a poor defender. By the time the cliffs loomed overhead I'd swayed and tripped twice...though how strange it was to be so uncaring about what my body was doing. Somewhere a cry. Perhaps tis my own, perhaps someone else.

Neve and Fina glide to a nearby tree as I sank down beside it. To tired to climb, that throbbing had increased until it was all I could feel...all that could be heard. Perhaps shutting my eyes would drown it out.

@[Africa]
Image Credit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

It had been a task put off for too long. Bits and pieces, items once treasured and cherished, lay scattered across the grassy embankment by the stream outside her den. Among the rubbish was the broken, fossilised figure of a three year old star fish that once had been splashed with vivid colour (now bleached and plain); there was a holey shell, spiked and unusual, but most of the spines lining its rim had been snapped away; there were three bruised, black cherry blossom flowers that she had intended to have crystallised for her friends, Rei and Nasreen and placed on chains to wear (they were part eaten); the speck remains of the withered slug she had forgotten about from World’s Edge (and she cringed a little, guilt stinging her conscience) - in a poor attempt to contest the feeling her thoughts whispered to Silas, well I bet you’re glad you feed yourself?

Eyes were filled with sorrow as they looked across the relics and remains – she had loved them, but apparently not enough to ensure their safety. I need a box. she mused, glancing away and stepping forward to brush each item into the stream and away. A cart... the watching zephyr answered mockingly (though in jest), but Africa loved the idea. Yes! That’s a grand idea! As the shell vanished into the hungry water, Africa turned to the glossy black bird where he roosted patiently in a tree. I suppose we will need wood. Do you think vines might hold it together?

The zephyr hummed thoughtfully. No...

Oh, alright then... What about wheels? Gaze turned vaguely to the trees, the grass, the sky. She pulled to the front of her mind the slim memory of the cart she had seen with Resplendence’s garden the few times she had visited.

She sighed heavily, resigning to the fact that such a feat was probably too ambitious. A chest would be nicer anyway... we could decorate it with stones from the Heart.

They had wasted an enormous amount of time already though that day, and duty called (forever). It was time to make their thrice weekly journey to the Threshold and search for the forlorn and lost, offer the rest and refuge. Lean stockinged forelegs drew her north at a brisk pace, and Silas glided after her, riding thermals higher and higher into the sky. The weather was revoltingly hot, sweat stained her pelt and she was rasping for fresher air even before they had ventured as far as the entrance – she paused, neck bowed and gave herself long enough to recover. Her condition had deteriorated of late, the one-winged mare could not understand why, and her energy was slipping far quicker than she thought it ought to.

Ok... Africa readied herself, drew a breath and began to climb the path which carved a winding route through the side of the cliffs above (and then down to the doorway behind the waterfall) – carefully, with the roar of the tumbling water growing nearer, she cleared distance. As she slipped through water however, and out the other side, a scene which she had little expected was unfolding. Midas was collapsed across the knotted roots of a tree, and a worried cried leaked from fluttering nostrils as she danced forward to help him. “What’s going on? What happened to you?” Confusion and concern engulfed her both physically and mentally, but as she called frantically for Earth’s vines, they flailed around without direction. Lips lowered to brush the forelock from his golden eyes, though they were closed regardless, and she hummed gently as she cast a swift scan by the rest of his body – it seemed to her to be unscathed!

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
M
I
D
A
S
Someone's calling; who is it?

Lids creak open, (yet they see nothing of reality, or the one who lingers close at hand) a white room before me. I'm surrounded by a blinding light, it threatens to burst past eyeballs and severe the link between soul and flesh. A voice, tis my own, but not my own. I stare into the eyes of a figure who bore my likeness, yet none of the temperance. An inky smile, both savage and gentle, twists his face in passive mockery. A scream is stifled. His frame doubles over with laughter.

I flinch at the sound of my voice, strangely terrified. He smiles again, that same icy grin of foreboding. "Who are ye?" tone is tight, soft like a child living a nightmare. He merely continues to smile. "For thee fathers sake, speak!" There is a flash of anger in those tempered pools, I flinch, sealing my jaw into a hard line.

"How do you favor this fate?"

Brows crinkle, "Speak words of meaning!" The room vanishes, but the light intensifies, patched legs buckle as the floor gives way to emptiness. Pinions open, catching the air and saving my body from plunging into oblivion. "Have you forgotten?" Eyes widened, a savage sea tumbles below, endless and frothing. Mercifully, that blinding glare is gone; all that stands above is fire and bleak darkness that seemed to be absent even starlight. Horrified, my eyes turn to my mirrored self who was watching the expressions dance across these features with satanic delight.

"Why am I here?"

A whisper meets my demanding tone with sickening softness, "A reminder."

"Of what?"

He glides beside me without the aid of beating wings. Another chilling smile, pink gums curl back into a snarl. Summoning thoughts reach for my armor, intended upon shredding that beam from a false face. Yet, nothing slides forth. No comforting wash of metal plates emerge to offer sheltering protection. Shock eyes glance down to behold bare flesh, steel absent from my neck, along with the amulets and...a feverous sound ignites past these tense lips, "Unnamed demon, return it to me." Teeth glitter pale white in this bleak world. Like bones left to rot. He throws his head back and roars with laughter; a sound that drives my blood to boil...

It ceases as fast as it starts, a soft hiss that was more growl rumbles his chest, "You have far greater concerns than that of a few trinkets and babbles."

This body can hold no longer, I lung, wings spread and jaws open to receive his flesh. Frame soars past his spirited self as if I'd not aimed correctly, and he'd simply fallen to my right. I twist, attempting to follow, in vain trying correct my motion. Again, the attack misses its mark and he is beyond my reach. A furious scream is upon these lips, I quell it and stand fast (hovering above the torrent.)

"I'll kill ye." A promise, lacking real weight.

He frowned, and inclined his head, "I'm already dead. Released by the fool you still call prodigy and son." Cracked lips curve.

_____

The sea fades, gradually.

I'm standing upon reddened sand, a hot sun blazes above -- in the distance I see a painted fellow walking the shade of a magnolia, there is a creamy, gangly lad trailing his wake. Those striking, emerald gems flash with love, admiration.

The image fades to one without the gilden man. Tis night beneath the same magnolia, and that child sleeps alone, tears slither down his pale cheeks. Sorrow evident. Fragile pain untouched. "He is weak, you should have let him die in the desert." Blood rushes to my mouth, I'd bitten my own tongue, "Look how he wallows in pity, a child absent his Ma's tit."

"Silence!" My heart clinches painfully, jaws again part to make sound, but nothing comes forth aside from a groan as darkness descends again.

______

Another form strides through the darkness, Ktulu. Those crimson eyes are soft, full of passion, yearning. Throat draws taunt, her breath is upon my neck, quivering my flesh; shut eyes to block the image. It does nothing to halt words, "You abandoned me. Couldn't even save your son, nor mine to safety."

"Ascended one. You are scum...no better than the god you serve. Undeserving of our daughter."

Ranjiri. Her voice fills the air, "Why did you leave us daddy. Don't you love me?"

Seele. "You could have saved me you know...but you failed, just as you will fail anyone who comes to love you."

Kri. "Midas...what have you done to our family? I trusted you to guide them..."

ENOUGH!

Cera. "You are not my father. You are a bastard pulling all around you into misery. Curl up and die already."

My lungs feel as though they are full of water, drowning. I fall forward, tears pour from my eyes -- "No more..."

@[Africa]
Image Credit

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

She hovered indecently above the fallen stallion, bewildered and frightened by the lack of reason in eye. Both fathomless golden pools fluttered open suddenly, wide, though it seemed as though his sight were numb – to her, to the gloriously bright day around them and the small distance remaining from the border to their home. She wanted to whisper, to draw him from oblivion’s distance, but there was a chilling, almost haunting despondency about him.

Africa shuffled nearer, caressing the silken threads of his black mane where they slumped between his ears. Each breath was short and sharp as she struggled subtly to stir him into the present, but it was all in vain and he seemed to slip further with each second passing them by. Grim eyes lifted towards the sprawling timber arms above – Fina’s smouldering form stood by, stunned it seemed, so unusually silent. Neve was with her, and her own companion (a vivid contrast to them both) had alighted across a branch nearby.

What’s going... the one-winged mare began to ask desperately through the bond that united them, but a stranger’s voice broke her thought – the silence – and her gaze tumbled instantly to find the stallion flinching horribly. Anger grew suddenly; it was ripe through his sunk posture, tone, and it frightened the helpless mare. She watched on feebly with crawling skin as he spoke on, convinced perhaps that there was another with them, but all she could do was touch him occasionally to see if his illusion had weakened.

It was difficult to determine if he was conscious or...

The dappled mare knew him as nothing but demure, loyal and fashioned with morals even to rival the strength of her own, but the words that fell from Midas’ tongue in that moment caused her blood to curdle and her bowels to twist - ‘I’ll kill ye.’

“Wake up, please!” she called, a fear in her voice that echoed right through her trembling core. “Wake... Midas...” Tender breath stroked feverishly about his fallen face and ears, travelling along the length of his onyx-black neck until the cold metal collar slung snug about his shoulders broke the smooth. In a last bid attempt to pull him free of the invisible prison – she could see it no other way – Africa sank mercifully her blunt incisors into the damp, taught sinew wrought through his neck.

Though the assault was meant for the better and lack any true weight, she recoiled swiftly to evade the rise of any reprimand which might in turn follow.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
M
I
D
A
S
The voices intensify tenfold, they merge and drown out all sound except their own. I lay, muzzle pressed into the solid whiteness below me, legs buckled, body bowed. Silver tears streak down either cheek, they stain the coal fur impossibly darker. My throat feels shut off completely, breathing is no longer just strained but nearly impossible. I shut my eyes and pray for....

The wraith (who'd fallen silent) starts laughing again, "Prayer?! NOBODY CAN HEAR YOU."

Strength, born from anger that ran like wildfire out of control -- it surges through these limbs, powered by unleased fury. With every ounce, every fiber, I throw myself to stand -- teeth wide, eyes wider and wildly lost within hell. We collide, his snarling face twists into an angry grimace as it fades. There is surprising pain blooming in one shoulder. (Though I hadn't seen him strike me.) A breath of fresh air races to these lungs; my demons vanish. I pant like a drowned victim. This world melts away. My stained face lifts to look at something above me (though there is nothing but a blank slate.)

Suddenly the white room vanishes, the ceiling folds into a burning sea, sand races below...a desert. Yon sun is close, hot, bleaching the earth the color of an old bone. In fact...it sears like fire into my pelt, melting the hairs from my spine and blistering the flesh. A agonized scream emerges; cringing from pain, I cloak my eyes in faint darkness.

A name is whispered, another breath of cool air. I suck deeply, "Wake up!" Louder now.

Gems snap open hardly noticing the background had changed once again -- my attentions is glued upon a real fire. It slips before my vision, snapping in the air angrily -- just beyond reach. Closer. Another scream rises, freezing a second before release when the face of someone familiar climbs forefront. Her face. Worried eyes capture mine, holding them. My jaw is slack, perhaps in disbelief, perhaps to keep sucking rough swallows of this lukewarm air. I expect her to fade, turn back into that blasted copycat demon.

My body is prickly, soaked with sweat.

Hot. Cold.

@[Africa]
Image Credit

Word count: 362