the Rift

[challenge] the silence has shattered [bucephalus]

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit
Into this world we're thrown

For a beast who held the rank of Chancellor, Bucephalus sure had a shitty way of using his words.

He pointed out her flaws, in a most abrupt way. It didn't matter to Cirrus that she had done the same to him mere seconds ago. It didn't matter that it was true. What mattered was that he had no respect for it. He had no desire to learn about why she had left, how she had had no choice at the time, how coming back was so fucking hard it hurt her to stand here before him without trembling.

She trembled now.

From rage.

Her ears flicked backwards. They were not pinned flat amongst dreads of hair, but neither were the far off that effect. They heard the words he threw at her with as much blind judgement as he had heard her previous pleas.

Gone was the attempt at patience the mare had hopelessly clung to. Gone was the stallion's last chance of earning her respect by simply letting her get on with what she wanted to do.

She wanted to be a part of her home again. She wanted to protect it, to defend it against harm, as her father had done before her. She wanted to walk in his mighty footsteps, to rise to the level he had risen, to have the power to unite the herd's soldiers beneath the lofty expanse of her wings.

But he was stopping her.

The girl snorted in response to his demand. Apologise or leave, he had said, and she grinned at him, a smile that showed no kindness, only a wicked, manic joy that the promise of bloodshed teased from within her.

No apology would drop from the lips of this girl today.

"No." her voice was quiet, and dangerously so. Forgotten was the pleas for him to give her a chance to prove she was worthy of his respect.

Now she would simply demand it from him.

She was at least flexible, in that she didn't mind which body parts he paid it in.

The only hint she gave him was a shifting of her weight, a slight lifting of her forehand to lean more upon her haunches. Her hocks engaged her mass readily, her wings lifted slightly from her sides to allow her to move with more agility than if they were clamped stiff and rigid against her barrel. Without further ado, the sky-mare leapt forward, limbs churning in the sandy basin below, her path aiming for the stallion who had foolishly positioned himself directly in front of her.

Teeth flickered a dull white from behind her darkened lips, baring in imitation of her lost companion's toothy smile. Her tiara twisted and curved sharply to the right as her nape snaked about, her hopes pinned on tearing flesh from anywhere along the left side of her face or neck region.

Bucephalus didn't believe she could defend her home.

She would prove it, by defending it from him and his stupidity.

Her initial strike attempted, the girl darted to her right, away from where she had aimed her flailing teeth, turning sharply upon her fore to swing her hinds around. Sand and dust collected up with the motion, the breeze from her shuffling wings only helping to stir the red mess up. Hard, neat hooves struck out at where she assumed (but did not know for certain) the steed still stood, hoping to land a hefty blow upon the slope of his left scapula. The wave of sand and dirt was simply an added bonus; it tickled her nostrils, and she wasn't even in the firing line of the assault from the mini sandstorm her actions had generated.

She hoped the sands of the Throat would choke this incompetent fool where he stood; she hoped her home would not turn against her for her actions.

[ ooc :: @[Bucephalus]
646 words according to MS Word.
1/4 attack posts
0/1 closing defence

This is an official challenge. 4 attack posts each + closing defence, 800 word limit.

Cirrus is challenging for respect. Should she lose, she will be forced to concede and apologise to Bucephalus. Should she win, he would be required to show respect to her in some way.

The challenge would ordinarily be for entry, however she was already accepted by Ampere/the auto-accept rule for pegasus into the Throat (hence her rank currently being Warrior).

Basically, Bucephalus demanded that she apologise to him in this thread, and this is Cirrus' reply. ]

C I R R U S
RIDERS ON THE_ S T O R M

bronzehalo.deviantart.com
as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
    Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
    Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
    Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs
    I knew. Even as the words just slipped from my lips, deep in my gut there was a feeling that she would not simply accept her error, and I my own, and we would leave the border in moderate peace. No... No, she was too much like Gaucho, like all the other damn warriors here that seemed to resort to fighting more than any sort of compromise.

This day, needless blood would be spilled. Blood that could have been avoided, could have been prevented, had either of us been just a little less proud.

"No."

I almost wish to slump with resignation, for the mare has chosen which path she would like us to skip merrily down, further into our own destruction, all in the name of pride. I was not without fault, but I couldn't help the feeling that we could have avoided all this with ease. I offered her a chance, as did she offer me, yet both of us refused the trembling offer of peace the other extended.

A blaze of pain tearing down my neck tore me from my mind, and I jerked back, just in time to feel her feet clip my chest, knocking the wind from my lungs. He roars, calling for her blood at the throbbing pain lancing through my neck, and I cannot agree more. Pride was at stake, for both of us, well, three of us. I am too tired to fight, my thoughts muddled and distracted, so for the first time in my life, I willingly surrender to him.

I will deal with the consequences later.

He takes rein, and for once we think as one. Our chest heaves, and for a moment we can't draw enough air into our lungs, too stunned by the hit across our chest. Then air finally pulls into our lungs, filling us up, and together we let loose a bellow filled with all the fury of a hurricane, calling blood for blood. Her back is to us, and we take advantage, rearing up to lash out towards her hindquarters, but we know the hazards, and the moment our feet drop down, we move. Vision tinted red by the throbbing pain in our neck and the increasing ache in our chest, we snarl. She would pay for every bruise and cut on our body, for every blow to our pride.

Wings unfurl, pumping the air furiously, stirring the sand that already hovered in the air into a stinging frenzy. Against our own hide it lashes, adding to the rawness her teeth left across our neck, but it, like our fury, is directed at her. White teeth flash from peeled lips in a grin, for as we stir this little hurricane of sand and dust we move to the left, away from where we were, gaze focused upon the skymare before us. He wanted her broken, I wanted her apology, and while our goals were different, right here and right now we were one, intent on taking our pound of flesh from her.

The sands would be tainted red this day.

"Speech."

WC: 508/800
    Attack: 1/4
    Closing Defense: 0/1
    Summary: Caught off guard by Cirrus's initial attack, her teeth tears the skin down his neck, and he stumbles to the side just as Cirrus lashes out with her hind hooves, and instead of hitting his shoulder the blow lands across his chest. He is stunned for a few seconds, before he rears and lashes out in retaliation, aiming to plant his forehooves across her rump before he backs up. Then he unfurls his wings and begins stirring up the sands as a cover as he moves around to her left side.
    @[Cirrus]
    Bucephalus the Morningstar
    watch out because I don't hold back
    keep pressing cause I'll never crack
    credits :: table

Pixel by Aud

Whit

Pride. It had led Cirrus astray in the past too. Her soul yearned for its connection with Sitka, cried out for it, but without his soul there to buffer her own, her pride took charge, and her actions became controlled by the brash, reckless filly that had no-one there to tell her when she was behaving poorly. Sitka had stepped up when there was no-one else, he was the rock that held the cloud-girl upright. He had been what held her together, what made her fit into the role of a Healer.

As she tasted the metallic saltiness of blood on her lips, she sealed her fate as a warrior. As she felt the jarring impact of her strong legs bashing their hard hooves against the chest of the brute, she waved farewell to all thoughts of becoming a healer ever again. Words were never her forte, she had never bothered pretending that they were, and somewhere inside she was thoroughly amused by the fact that this Chancellor, this politician so quickly rose to the occasion she thrust upon him. There was a small acknowledgement of respect for him - he didn't just turn and run, but nor did he see her initial attack coming at all. That she had taken him by surprise showed his potentially fatal flaw - in Helovia, only the strongest survived, and the strongest were so often defined by their ability to defeat the weakest.

He is swift to retaliate, and with an underlying satisfaction she saw in her peripheral vision the motion of his pristine body rising into a rear. She scrambled forward in the sands, also darting to her left, teeth grinding as she is introduced to the sharpened edge of his left fore-hoof against the plush flesh of her right thigh. It strikes heavily, its power fuelled by his bodyweight, thumping firmly just below the point of her hip - a fortunate thing, really, for had it struck her hip directly it might have caused deeper bruising of her pelvis. As it was, the angle of her thigh allowed the blow to slide down - covering more surface area, but with less deep damage (though the girl hardly thanked him for that). It hurt like a bitch, and it was with a slightly limping step that she continued on her path forward and away from him and his flailing hooves.

Vague annoyance at the sand rises within the girl, and with a heaving breath she tries to clear it from her throat and lungs. Her own motions combined with the beating of his wings had caused a veritable sandstorm, a flurry of red dirt that stained her otherwise-sunny-blue hide in varying shades of orange, white and clay-brown. She had no cuts for the dirt to taunt and sting, but still as the clumps of it lashed against her thin, summery coat she felt the sensation of pin-needles running across her body. Baby-blue eyes blink furiously to maintain vision, tears forming, clumping the sand upon her eyelashes. She wonders if this stallion knew that he was impairing his own vision as well as hers, and wondered just what he was intending to do amidst this dusty arena they both had generated.

The girl attempts to locate the dark, tri-hued stallion amongst the dust, sensing more than seeing his presence somewhere to her left. In a fluid motion the girl latches onto the hard, wooden shaft of her spear, and without hesitation, whirls it, silver-arrowed end first, towards the masculine mass. She had pretty fine aim usually, but that was in conditions where she could see straight, and one's opponent's wings weren't messing with her trajectory. She hoped for it to lodge itself in the his left side, maybe it would glance off his flanks or even be deflected by his wings - it didn't matter to her, really, for it was only a distraction.

Her true course of action was to turn left, sharply, and propel herself forward as fast as her sturdy (albeit aching) legs could carry her. Hoping this would put herself into a direct path into Bucephalus once more, she too unfurled her wings, and upon nearing him, leapt into the skies, attempting to lash out with her fore-hooves on her way past his head. Should she hear a gratifying clunk of hoof-against-skull, the girl would be very pleased indeed.

"Come get me!" she shouted, mockery applied with a generous coating, laughter ringing in her musical voice.

[ ooc ::
    745 words according to MS Word.
    2/4 attack posts
    0/1 closing defence
    @[Bucephalus] ]

C I R R U S
    RIDERS ON THE_ S T O R M

as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
    Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
    Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
    Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

The sand is doing it's job, and while our own eyes are squinted against the onslaught of sand from every backstroke, we care little. At her struggles to see, we grin like a wolf, the satisfaction welling within our breast is a delight, and we savor each moment she flounders. Let the bitch be blinded by the very place she desired to call 'home'! Let her see that fucking with the Morningstar was the worst idea she could possibly think of! Already we can picture her forced apology, sweet and delicious as revenge tends to be. Loosing mattered little to us, truly, we would still have the satisfaction of seeing our marks upon that coat to remind her that we were not to be trifled with.

Suddenly, she moves, differently than before, sending something hurtling towards us, something of a silver as wicked as Mara's belly. We bend our forelegs quickly, sending us to our knees as we drop to avoid the silver streak. Searing pain slithers across the top of our right shoulder, the weapon leaving a long yet shallow wound. Heat, something not exactly wanted in the sun's growing presence, drips down from the gash, and the pain tinges our vision red.

The. Fucking. Bitch.

Oh, she was going to REGRET doing that.

She draws close, and it gives us a chance we relish.

Quickly, spine bends taut like a drawn bowstring before we explode into movement, trying to shove against the mare on her way past us and into the sky. Hopefully that would disrupt her flight enough to give us a chance to get airborne as well. Swiftly we get to our feet, sprinting away from the dust storm we had created, our strong wings pumping the air, demanding that it carry us into the realm of danger and adrenaline.

We are granted entrance.

Quickly our body ascends, gaze locked upon the sky-mare as we gain altitude, every feather practically singing, each one oh so critical to the maneuvers we hold dear. In this, she would have the advantage... if she could only blind me as I had her down below. Her dark head and legs, and the top of her wings did not change as the sky did, no.

That was our clue, that was her weakness.

"Tell me dear woman, have you ever danced with a falcon?" We call, flashing a grin towards her. Our angle changes, and we climb, higher and higher to try and put distance between our body and hers. The wind was our lover, our mistress, the entity that never let us down(except for when she did. Then it hurt). We take a deep breath of the crisp, cool air as we climb, taking stock of our various pains. Worst of the wounds seemed to be the tear down our neck, it burned and hurt and throbbed and shit did it hurt. More than we would have thought, considering how little it had hurt when she first introduced those lovely pearly whites to our dark hide.

We shove the pain inventory away, focusing our thoughts as we reach prime altitude. Our gaze drifts, focusing upon the dark head of the sky-mare, picking her out with ease due to her dark points. We hover for less than a single heartbeat, the wind shifting our position and our feathers make changes accordingly, before we tuck wing and dive. We have control over this, each feather playing a crucial role, keeping us on trajectory with the sky-mare, twitching and making minuscule adjustments to keep us balanced an in control. A piercing whistle fills the air as the wind is sliced by our wings, the screech only growing louder the faster we go.

We move as we near her, opening our wings and dropping our rear, tucking our body in like a hawk ready to snatch it's prey. However instead of grabbing, all four legs curl against our body, then snap out in an attempt to barrage her right side with four strikes backed by the weight of our body and the momentum of our dive. The very same momentum carries us onward, and we go with it willingly, dropping a few feet in height before we get the wind beneath us, and once more we ascend, trying to put distance between our body and the sky-mare's.

We do not move slowly, muscles are milked for every ounce of speed we can manage. Stamina would be key in this fight, although we didn't know this mare's limits as we did Gaucho's. All in all, we were fighting(mentally) blind, against an opponent we did not know well enough.

And Gods it was exhilarating.

Summary: Cirrus's spear hits Bucephalus across the back, rather than the side, and it leaves a long but deep cut across the top of his right shoulder. As Cirrus moves to her left Bucephalus rears, hoping to knock her ascension off-kilter(Since he moved to her left side and she ran towards her left) before he too takes to the air. He climbs into the sky, then falls in a controlled dive to try and hit Cirrus's body with all four hooves, slowing his descent somewhat before he lets his momentum carry him onward, where he attempts to fly off and keep distance between himself and Cirrus.
    WC: 778 according to wordcounter.net
    Attack: 2/4
    Closing Defense: 0/1
    Tag: @[Cirrus]
    Other: 8I I'm having too much fun with this.
    Bucephalus the Morningstar
    My revolution carries me...
    My revolution sets me free...
    credits :: table

Pixel by Aud

Whit

The mare was vaguely aware of the audience that had arrived to view the physical argument the girl had started with this stud. She didn't know their ranks, but she knew their names, their appearances featured in her memories numerous times. The large steed, with antlers atop his poll and wings draped in flame, she knew from her time as an excited yearling, attending training days alongside her father, the General of his time. Gaucho, she recalled his primitive-sounding drawl, but nothing much else. Meanwhile, Ampere's small frame she recognised from the Threshold. The attendance of Gaucho and Ampere simply was; had the girl given them any more attention than that, there was potential for her to 'choke', to lose her nerve due to the overwhelming need to please her peers. Her ignorance to their true ranks was her advantage; all she saw as she ascended into the skies were two extra sets of eyes watching her beat the idiotic (albeit challenging) Bucephalus into a pulp.

Her spear struck true (enough) against her target, and as the girl surged into the sky she was startled to feel the beast's shoulder shove into her own - it threw off her path slightly, and she didn't feel the satisfying clunk of hoof against skull, but she still got into the air.

"Have you ever tried to catch a cloud?" She replied sharply to his words. She was a pegasus, a master of the skies, a creature who could bewitch the very wind they both rode on. As she rose into the skies further, she indeed encouraged the wind to fill her wings, lifting her faster than she might have otherwise risen, but once aloft she laxed her hold on the magic that inspired the wind, instead thinking more of heavy, pregnant clouds ready to drop their load upon them all. The humidity rose significantly, and she encouraged the air to be more still - it meant more work for herself, but her broad wingspan scooped the air with ease as she hovered, tilting her position to track the self-proclaimed 'falcon' across the sky.

Sweat darkened her hide faster as she encouraged the humidity to rise further still, to an almost unbearable degree, clouds gathered above her - almost matching her darkened points. The weather made her flight somewhat clumsier, more sluggish, and as such, even though she tracked the steed's movements, when it came to adjusting herself in the skies to dodge him, she found herself resorting to simply allowing herself to drop several feet towards the ground below. This meant that as he swung his haunches down and attempted to strike her with all four feet, only the flat of his hind hooves struck their mark - her ample rump. Somehow the timing of it managed to have them depart ways between wingstrokes - a fortunate thing, for Cirrus did not want to plummet to the ground entwined with a stallion today.

She'd let him fall by himself, happily.

The impact left her with bruising, the flat of both hooves having marked her with neat, twin, almost-circular rings atop her rump. It was fortunate once again that she was airborne, for had she been against the ground, her pelvis would have likely shattered from this impact and the previous one - as it was, her own hips swung downwards, carrying the force of Bucephalus' strike through the air in a (not so) graceful swing. A deep grunt exited the mare's lungs, and again she ground her teeth as her ears dove deeper beneath the dreadlocked mane atop her poll, casting cruel, vicious glances at the dark stallion. His golden tips and pale markings illuminated him against the darkness of not only his coat, but their darkening surrounds too - she hunted him swiftly, hesitation a foreign concept to her.

In the skies they were equals, moreso than the ground offered - they were to be judged upon their swiftness in the wind, instead of her being grossly outsized, or the dirt getting in her eyes. Even now she still blinked the wretched sand from her eyes, each grain a small irritant she wouldn't be rid of until she bathed in the lake of her soon-to-be-won home. With eagerness she pumped her wings, willing the wind to fill them so that she might fly faster than the steed and pommel him where he flew. Praying to the Gods that crafted this land and blessed her with powers, she did her best to catch up and try to angle herself somewhat behind-and-above him. Forelegs outstretched, she aimed for the gashed area across his back, and simply tried to use him as a mid-air launch pad, first with her forelegs, then her hinds followed.

[ ooc :: 709 words according to MS word
    3/4 attack
    0/1 defence
    Cirrus' magic is said in the Records to last 10 minutes from when she activates it.
    @[Bucephalus]

C I R R U S
    RIDERS ON THE_ S T O R M

• I enjoy being tagged.

Official Posts: 847
    Administrator
    Stallion :: Equine :: ::
    Official
    Bucephalus defaults to Cirrus, +0.5VP

per request of Tribs

Official Posts: 847
    Administrator
    Stallion :: Equine :: ::
    Official
    By my verdict: CIRRUS is the winner!

CIRRUS
    Realism [+2]
    You’ve got a great eye for fighting mechanics as you handled your attacks and dodges very well. You started really strong in your first post, especially using the sand to assist with your attack.

In your second post I really felt you needed more injury given the damage rolled was a 5 and all you took was a bruised right hind which then never seemed to hinder you the rest of the battle. I really liked your spear attack, but felt you needed more time/distance to get that abrupt lift off that lead into your second attack and aerial maneuvers. You had excellent references to scenery though.

In your third post I enjoyed seeing your comparison of the injury sustained in the air vs. the ground, but again the damage sustained didn’t seem to be enough, especially considering the attack used the very rump damaged not long after. I’d liked to have seen more attention paid to the difficulty of fighting in the air, regarding the need to keep and gain momentum since there’s nothing for you to push off of.

Emotion [+2.5]
    I really loved her motive to fight, especially in that first post where she’s trying to get back into her old home, live up to her father, and become the wild warrior that was previously always held in check. I could definitely feel the tension racing between her and Bucephalus the entire fight.

Prose [+3]
    Lovely and consistent writing throughout the whole fight!

Readability [+1]
    Easy to understand, just some typos or grammar issues that popped up.

Post 1:
    "From rage." (fragment)
    "...neither were the far..." (they)
    "...left side of her face or neck region" (his)

Post 2: Several times you switched up tenses.

Post 3:
    “A deep grunt exited the mare's lungs, and again she ground her teeth as her ears dove deeper beneath the dreadlocked mane atop her poll, casting cruel, vicious glances at the dark stallion.” (run on)
    “...darkening surrounds too…” (surroundings)

Finally tally: 50.5 + (8.5*2) = 67.5 HP

BUCEPHALUS
    Realism [-3]
    Although you had some good attacks and overall a sense of timing, I really felt that you weren’t taking proper damage or generally providing enough detail in your posts to bring out sufficient realism. For instance in your first post Cirrus had rolled a 6 damage, but all you took was a tear to his neck and a buck to his chest, which winded him briefly. A 6 damage should leave an injury that constantly affects you the entire fight - Buce goes on to rear and strike at Cirrus, with the very chest muscles that should have been in agony!

Be careful too, you worded it like powerplay in saying “Her back is to us” - you cannot say for certainty that it is, you only have control over your own character,

Like emotion I need you to not just tell me something hurts, but how it hurts, why it hurts, and what the hurt causes (i.e. restricted attacks/movement). In that same post you did great using the sand to make a whirlwind, but I see no effects from the sand on you, which should have been happening especially since Cirrus included the sand specifically in her kick attack.

In your second post you sustain appropriate injury for the damage roll of 2, but again there’s not enough detail for me to really feel like it hurt and affected you at all. The realism really fades for me when Bucephalus, from the ground (which I thought kneeling was a great evasion!), shoves his shoulder into Cirrus as she’s attacking him on her way by. You never said he stood up, and in fact a sentence or two after his attack say that he stands up, so I’m not even sure how he managed to do that. On top of that, you never really say if Cirrus’ attack hit him or not, and if so what the injury was, so it felt like you mostly ignored her second attack there.

I would have liked to see more attention paid to how Bucephalus flew off so well, especially given his hurt chest, and how his attack of kicking down with all 4 legs towards her gave him enough momentum to continue flying up and away. Aerial battles need a lot of detail about how speed and momentum are obtained/retained since you have nothing to push off of.

I liked you using Cirrus’ dark points to track her in the sky!

Emotion [+2]
    I really felt you handled the emotion excellent in this fight, especially in that first post where Buce let Atlan consume himself and the usage of “we” and “us” from then on - even the clarifying statement that you wanted different things from the fight was a nice touch.

Prose [+3]
    You had some beautiful and consistent writing all throughout the fight!

Readability [+2]
    Mostly everything was clear, just a few typos detailed below and also I would have liked to see more explanation of who He (Atlan) is, especially in your first post.

Post 2:
    "...us down(except for..." (space needed before parenthesis)
    "...were fighting(mentally) blind..." (space needed before parenthesis)

Finally tally: 31.5 + (4*2) = 39.5 HP