the Rift

[PRIVATE] Disgrace.

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Y’know, there’s some fucked up irony somewhere, considering where I ended up running to. Because seasons ago this place would’ve been helpful for a bunch of different reasons—but it wasn’t until now, after I had properly failed, that I actually stumbled across it.

I plunged myself into the darkness of the caverns—probably trying to pitch myself into hell, I guess. I’m not sure—I don’t remember what I was thinking at the time. I just remember the feeling of it because it was so bulky and boxy it was scratching me from the inside with its edges and razors ‘n shit. I just ran through the tunnels, the echo of my hoofbeats clanging around me, almost loud enough to drown out the shouting in my head, the roaring and the pounding and the everything.

I came to a place where crystals glow, and the light is soft and soothing, and it probably would’ve been bitchin if I had come here with my head.

I didn’t know where I left that, though.

So there I was; running through crystal, weaving my way around with nothing but the harsh reverb of my heavy, strangled breathing crescendoing around me, suffocating me with my own breath. I paced; I stalked; I ran in circles, something bubbling within that I was trying to escape. But you can’t escape from your own guts and your own heart, because there’s veins there, anchoring you, tying you down to mortality with blood and sinister flesh that you wish you could shred and shrug off and leave the coat for someone else to find.

I gasped and tears threatened, but I was fighting them with everything I had in me—and losing, too, losing horribly, because they flooded my lids and were doomed to fall any moment now, but dammit I was still swinging. I had no fucking right to cry; I had no right to this panic that was curdling and frothing inside; I had no right to the sadness that was eating me alive, to the profound sense of catastrophe that churned in my arteries, behind my stupid eyes, my stupid heart, my stupid ass and my stupid, stupid head. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

What a waste.

What a fucking disappointment you turned out to be.

(What an awful daughter.)

And so it went.

In my head, going around and around in circles with myself, my own voice and Ma’s voice and Pa’s voice and every voice I had known, bunched up and thrown at me in my own mind.

Weak.

Pathetic.

(fault)

Disgusting.

(your fault)

Re-tarded.

You could have stopped this.

It’s your fault it’s your fault it’s your fault

I didn’t even register that lightning flowed from my horn at all sides, that I was blasting crystals apart as I stumbled about, crushed by the voices (it’s your fault it’s your fault it’s your fault). A glittering cloud of shards was already starting to form around me, and maybe that was a good thing, because at some point maybe one of them would finally strike me in the jugular or maybe I’d breathe some in and it’d shred me to pieces from the inside.

I could only hope.

(it’s your fault it’s your fault it’s your fault)

I moaned something painful and somehow I was leaning against the wall of the cavern, broken pieces of crystal surrounding me as I struggled to contain the thing that was clawing at my throat and trying to leak from my eyes. I squeezed them shut, my jaw clenched and biting as I fought sob after sob trying to escape from my chest, wracking my whole body with the force of it, my breathing ragged and shallow with the exhaustion from my running and destruction and sadness.

You have no reason to fucking cry.

It’s your fault.

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
och jag växte upp snabbt, från min barndom var det allt—jag föddes redan slagen
då tänker du tyst och skriker högt, memorerar hela jävla monologen som skrevs för din inre röst,
He's seen this before. White hind-legs flashing over dark earth, her small shape bulleting through distant horizons, fleeing, fleeing, fleeing, trying to outpace both him and the world. The dual images burned in his mind, reality overlapping with memory.

He had seen this before, but that time, he had lost her.

This time, he was determined not to.

But how do you catch a shadow?

Frosted hooves struck the ground, again and again, heart laboring in his chest and sides heaving—there was only so much he could do, keep running, keep chasing, his winged eyes soaring high above and tracking her mad flight. How had it even come to this? What had happened? He knew nothing of her—not even her name—but something, something must've happened.. something that tore the ground from out under her, fractured her very world, and went deeper into her heart than any poison could.

He had no understanding, no guesses, no nothing, only his empathy, and it drove him forward even when his lungs burned.

Down, Irma whispered, her voice a touch of winter ghosting through his skull; Diego voiced a silent agreement, and wings angled down for a quiet descent, braving the cramped quarters of the underground.

So much had happened, and so quickly; his frosted hooves slid on the rocky path as he checked his pace and ducked into the darkness. The revelation, a god-child dead.. Psyche dead.. somewhere down in these very caves they had shared an odd moment of peace, a sliver of glass from a long-forgotten artwork nestled in his heart, its sharp edges pricking him each time it beat. What they had been on the road of becoming.. was lost.

He blamed the wind for his weeping this time as he plunged into the magma-warm darkness, his subtly wavering shadow draped over the walls as his body painted itself in whichever hue it was presented with. This way, her words said, the lightest touch on his mind as he barreled down a corridor, chasing ghosts and memories. Underneath the ringing of his own echoes he thought he could hear something..

A sharp cry reverberated both through bond and world as Irma swerved, sharply, nearly colliding with Diego in her haste to get away as the room erupted in lightning and exploding crystal. Mauja's ears fell flat against his neck. What was she doing?

He didn't know how long it took for him to reach her—a minute? Ten?—but suddenly he was there, in the halls of peacefully glowing crystal, their many hues reflecting in his white coat.. but the calm was broken, in shattered pieces and dust, flashes of too-bright light and the sound of things breaking and hooves ringing on a hard, unforgiving floor.

The flustered owls settled on his back in their customary order, worried eyes darting this way and that, but he barely felt their claws resting against his skin. He saw only the dark-light shape of her, crashing this way and that—he saw her through his lashes, eyes narrowed against the sharp bursts of light.

He didn't think she would hurt him—if she knew he was there. So he kept his distance, watching her in silence, heart heavy in his chest. Someone—maybe the Earth-child that had fallen to save them all—must've meant much to her. Mauja swallowed. He knew what it felt like, to lose.

He knew the feeling of helpless rage, the overwhelming sense of grief, loss in its purest form: a darkness expanding in your heart, in your thoughts, in the vacant space they should've occupied by your side.

He knew it and watching her in the throes of its grip was.. more than he wanted to bear, but those blasts kept him away, until finally it seemed to calm. Their part of the cavern lay in ruins, all sharp edges and dust, wicked spires left standing where there had been walls. Mauja's gaze traveled around once, before it went back to her.

Ljós he had called her, and she had been his for that day, but this was not the work of the light—grief was not evil, but it was dark, and he thought it was what had moved her. And calling her Loudmouth now would be too insensitive for him to stomach.

"Elding," he finally called in a lilting and soft voice, moving from his safe distance. He hadn't come all this way to abandon her now. He hadn't come all this way to let himself be turned away, either.

He had come all this way, to show her that he cared. That he was there. For her.

[ my post pales in comparison to yours. /cry ]
du lät exakt som ismael.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

After the noise and the destruction of my lightning in that fragile, beautiful cavern, the silence that enveloped me (punctuated by my loud, ragged breathing) was profound—suffocating almost. I could have fallen again—I could have been sucked into some gaping pit spiked with crystal shards, lost in myself, to myself, to the water that was trying (and succeeding) to fall from my eyes. I lost sense of the world; I stood there, trembling against the crystalline wall, trying to catch my breath and find some strength in the air at the same time—and failing miserably.

Then…

*"Elding."*

he was there.

“Le—“ I gulped, whipping around, and boom. He was there. Leos, I sputtered again, the deja vu of it all crashing down on me, because we’ve been here before, right? I’ve run from darkness before, and he had followed me that time too; and when I had panicked (so infinitesimal compared to this crisis) he had offered some sort of comfort that I barely understood and barely remembered, because it was the feeling of it that stuck with me, the novelty of it, that some stranger could give this unfamiliar sensation to me. This…break from the mess I was, from the messes I made; it could only be described as forgiveness.

Whatever it was, it was a thing I hated myself for craving.

I was humiliated, looking into those clear shards of ice of his that were his eyes. I was embarrassed by the sobs that gripped my throat, for the audacity my body had to cry; I was ashamed by the leap in my chest and stomach that I felt when I heard his voice, the fulfillment of a hope that I shouldn’t dare have, the expression of a gladness that would never, ever deserve. Huffing and gasping, I backed away from him, quickly—and clumsily, too, because I was a more of a wreck than I would admit to, because it was a state of being that I deserved to be in (it’s your fault it’s your fault it’s your fault), the perfect, proper state of me. It was a state I didn’t want him to see—because, after that, he’d understand who he was looking at, and he’d finally stop following.

I didn’t get far; there was broken crystals everywhere and my footing was slippery and I stumbled a few times until I had backed myself into another wall,, trapping myself, unable to tear my eyes away from whatever stupid thing I was seeing in Leos. My chest was heaving—my breathing was hard and ragged, and there was something called madness in the white of my eyes as the thing I was fighting against in my chest began to slay me soundly.

“Do you…” I whispered brokenly, between ruined gasps of breath, “Do you…ever have nightmares?

I don’t know why those words chose to leave my mouth, or why my mouth decided to say those words, or whatever the fuck--because they were real and they hurt in a way I hadn’t expected words to hurt. And it was then that I finally lost the battle—because even though I was still trying my damnest to hold them back, suddenly my cheeks were flooding and my throat was breaking and I sank to the ground, to my knees, and my crying was loud and bitter and shattered and I guess this is what it means when people say you’ve “broken down”.

Ascended Helovian

då tänker du tyst och skriker högt, memorerar hela jävla monologen som skrevs för din inre röst,
The cavern had become like their hearts—a beautiful ruin. Shards of still-glowing crystal lay upon the ground, discarded like forgotten toys of some infant god, but they were growing dim, and dull, as if whatever magical light had blessed them was dying, too. Mauja's gaze slipped from Elding for a moment, to watch the last of the shimmering dust settle, and to, maybe, give her a moment to breathe, free from the intensity of his pale eyes. “Le—Leos,” and she had turned to face him. The gentle glow of the cave reflected in the wetness on her cheeks, glistened across her dark eyes. Leos. It sounded like a mangled variant of ljós, and something about it tugged at his lips, but his smile was weak and fragile. Had she heard him whisper it? Did she know what it meant?

Did it matter? He could be her light anyway, if she would have it, and not be afraid of the shadows he cast...

But the smile faded as she backed away, her breathing drowning the sound of his own, and the clanging of her hooves in the ruin masked the sound of his own heart, until he wondered if he was drowning along with her in her misery—because he could practically taste it in the charged air, and he knew that it hurt.

One step.. two steps.. three.. stumbling and graceless, she did as he did, fled from the comfort of others, but did she flee for the same reasons? Was she, too, afraid to let others in? Unable to do it, because she didn't know how to? Did she feel like she had to weather everything alone? Like she had to be strong enough to deal with everything, no matter what it was, and when it came?

Did she know how it broke your heart, to watch her recoil?

He had spent his entire life shutting others out and it was only now that he knew how it hurt, still-sharp glass dust pressed into his heart. Each step she took was a weight in his soul, a half-formed word upon his tongue, don't go, a need to reach out and hold her in place but.. did she back for the same reasons he closed all doors, or did she genuinely not want him there? Respect and fear kept him grounded, his soft eyes sad in the gentle light.

When Psyche had died, he had needed someone—anyone—to anchor him, to sling their head over his back and hold him.. but none had been there. His daughter had needed him, and as a father, he had to care for her before he cared for himself, and no one else present had been there to keep him afloat.

Until Kahlua had come with her accusations and her anger.

Elding was up against a wall, and stopped moving; his ears strained in the distorted soundscape, listening to her broken, quiet voice. Helovia was a cruel place. “Do you…ever have nightmares?” "No," he had the time to say from where he stood, unmoving and frozen in his fear of rejection, until her resolve to fight was broken, and sorrow took its toll. Tears, reflecting the defiant light, fell from her eyes, and Mauja found himself moving. She didn't need to suffer this alone. She didn't need to suffer this unguarded.

She didn't need to think she was the only one who ever felt like that, fighting the sadness tooth and claw but not being strong enough to win.

The owls left his back, found perches among the ruin, talons delicately gripping sharp edges and eyes turning outward; white knees bent and touched the hard ground, tiny gouges of red ripped in his skin where his weight pressed against shards, until with a grunt he lay beside her, long legs neatly folded beneath his bulk. His eyes glowed with the pastel lights of the cavern, and his soul beneath it glowed with the strange, warm things he felt. For a moment he simply laid there, almost hesitant to touch her, afraid that she would keep recoiling from the comfort he offered, but.. what kind of friend was he, if he did not dare to risk himself for her?

So he reached out, a warm, dark muzzle to brush against her tear-stained cheek, until, finally, it came to rest by her ears, and with a trembling heart he whispered—

"It is when awake that I am haunted."

[ @[Roskuld] ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

No, stop, my mind was screaming, because I could feel his weight as he came toward me, the ground trembling with every step of a large, ice-glazed hoof. Stop, stop, please, I don’t deserve it, my mental-voice bellowed, screeching against the sides of my brain—growing louder and shriller as I felt the buzz of his body coming beside me, falling beside me, lying beside where I lay ruined and bawling on the floor.

My mind was reeling for him to go, to leave so that he didn’t have to see the mess all over the ground (that was me)—but my nerves were blaring at the same time, reaching and longing, sparking at the presence that hovered next to me—craving something, heat, a touch, anything, because they knew I was drifting out of control and I needed—

--a tether.

So when his lips came and touched the flushed skin of my cheek, my body jerked and jumped, confused by the signals from two pieces of a mind trying valiantly to split into two. No, go away, my mind shouted—but my neck leaned toward him and my ears cocked to his muzzle as he spoke, and the murmur of his voice against my skin and my mane sent tendrils of something down my spine—fire or electricity or an understanding so deep the bedrock shifted. He knew how to use words; he knew how to speak the thoughts coursing through my mind in a way that captured the tragedy of it, the perfect horror that trapped me in its belly. Because no, I don’t have nightmares either—sleep comes to me peacefully and blank, a reprieve from horseshit. But first I have to get to sleep—and that’s the challenge.

That’s when the voices attack me.

(It’s your fault it’s your fault it’s your fault--)

“It’s my fault, it’s my fault, it was all my fault--“ I blubbered suddenly, spewing it loudly between the tears dripping down my chin and the snot and the sobbing—and before I could stop what was happening, I let go of it all and was shoving myself against him and my face was buried into the crook of his neck (as much as a horn can allow) and I wasn’t holding anything back.

I…

I don’t think I’ve ever cried like that. I don’t think I ever will again, either.

It was pain leaving me, rough and unfiltered, and it wasn’t leaving gently. It was rough and noisy and ugly and really, really gross, all over his mane ‘n shit, the stuff coming out of my face and the words getting caught in his fur (“It was my fault, I could’ve stopped it, it was me, me, me--) and the whole, raw agony of seeing Toto dead by something I could’ve stopped stripping me, whipping me from the inside with hot swords that swirled all the way up my throat, scarring me even as it left me ("He was my cousin, my Big Toto, and he's dead and it's my fault and I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry--").

And maybe it was because Leos was there, catching it all, that I let myself get lost for a moment.

There was someone there to pull me back.

Ascended Helovian

It's never easy, and he damn well knows that—all that pain filling you up, threatening to explode.. until you wonder how your heart and lungs haven't burst yet, because they're packed full with it.

He didn't say anything, asked no questions. It didn't matter, anyway. Nothing mattered, because he had spoken the truth—it had hurt, forcing those words off his tongue, but it was the truth. The dead were dead. The void carved in his heart, the empty spaces they had left in the ruin of his life, would never be filled; their smiles were nothing but a memory, and he would never again be able to touch them; hold them; see the sunlight in their eyes.

He hadn't let himself mourn. Starting that bloodied, cold night seven years ago he had simply bottled it all up, locked it away in the frigid, perfect armor, steel left out in the snow.. tears and blood freezing in his veins, heart growing cold, mind numb, uncaring. How else could he have inflicted this upon so many? How else could he have ruthlessly taken life, even believed he had a right to?

That night.. he had lain broken in the snow, the only one to live, but the only one who didn't deserve to. Vaguely, he remembered the feeling of tears freezing on his cheeks, of starlight refracted through crystals and wetness, and the ache in his chest could just as well have been from his injuries—never mind that his heart had shattered in his chest, that he could smell winter freezing death over, and that he knew what he had lost.. what he had lost not because the world had taken from him, but what he had made himself lose.

"It's all my fault, too," he breathed brokenly against her mane, lipping and pulling at it, running his muzzle along her neck, not expecting her to hear, not wanting her to hear, but needing to say it. Seven years of grief and never once had he let it out.

Seven years of a lost future; seven years of isolation, of distance even when two bodies touched.

The dead were dead. Mistakes couldn't be rectified. Life couldn't be breathed back into empty lungs. It was the only truth, but that didn't mean that it didn't hurt—that it hadn't hurt to have to let the fire descend on Psyche, or to hear the pain in d'Artagnan's voice as he told of Kou, or of seeing Tolio dead in that tunnel, or watching Hototo fall to save them all and hear the raw agony flaying Ktulu from within. In the end, they all lost.

A broken, bitter sob forced its way out of his chest, and he buried his face against her mane. This wasn't about him. This wasn't about everything from Psyche to seven years ago. This was about her, and her dead cousin, and whatever mountain of guilt she wore upon her shoulders.

It doesn't get easier he wanted to tell her, eventually you just sort of forget about it, and, how the hell is he your cousin? (Literal cousin? That left some unsavory options; grand-daughter of Paladin, or daughter of a God, and if it wasn't for the fact he was pretty sure those two color-fringed colts were Paladin's get he probably would've exploded on the spot once his subconscious mind made the connection...)

From time to time his body convulsed with the wracking, choked gasps as he fought to keep his grief in its bottle, rocking against the cold hard floor and her sprawled shape. A few, bitter tears had left a wet patch on her neck.

But as all storms do even this one blew over; she stilled but he had to keep on fighting, just lying with his neck extended over her back, as far as he could reach, eyes pressed shut. He wanted to help her. He wanted to say something, to ask her what she meant, what had happened, how could it be her fault?

But there was something in the way, a painful lump burning in his throat, an ache behind his eyes. There was no way he could speak without losing his fragile grip on control.

[ @[Roskuld] ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

ew, I thought, my chest still rocked with the occasional, tremulous hiccup. Ugh, all over his…his neck ‘n shit…Just an FYI, but crying leaves you sore if you do it hard enough; right then my body was throbbing like crazy, my blood pounding through aching places and my muscles still trembling in areas and my chest feeling crushed and broken and flimsy as I lay there.

But the tears had stopped--and there was a feeling of petrichor in my throat, dewdrops clinging to me on the inside, the first new things in a while. I felt…light. Like all that crying and bawling and grossness had been a solid thing, and it was only after it had raged through me and shoved itself out that I realized just how heavy it had truly been. The hole it left was gaping and scary, but the fear only came from its mystery, because I had clung to that solid block of shit desperately and I still can’t tell you why. Now it was wrenched out of my grasp and out of my control, and it was gone, and the hole it left was yawning and hungry, speckled with mist.

I still felt guilt at this; the lightness in my chest, and the….thing I was feeling as I lay splayed against Leos. But the guilt was distant, easily pushed in the back of my mind, because the horror that I clung to was no longer there to pull it back and hang it before my eyes.

I sniffled, because the crying still lingered on my body--and I realized my face was still swollen and puffy.

My mind was numb. But it was different numbness that had beset me in the meadow; this was morphine in my system, lazy and gentle and senseless, and every time I felt Leo’s lips against me--his teeth pulling, his breath rustling my mane, his words buried there, hot and coiled and foggy with things--it was another injection into my bloodstream, quick and painful, passing too fast and too slow at the same time. Who are you? I wanted to scream into the mess I had made of his neck and the mane I was burried into. Who the fuck…?

Because I had run from Ma’s embrace once, haven’t I?

(So who was he that made me need it?)

Sense told me that I needed to leave; that I was taking advantage of this…thing that was misplaced, that I had no right to receive. I knew better; I knew good and hell well what sort of shit he was trying to comfort. But I...I let myself lay there, because somewhere along the way we had descended into something mutual, like he was clinging to me just as hard as I clung to him. How long had it been since I touched someone like this? How long had it been since I could feel another heartbeat through their skin--the groan of frozen blood coursing through their veins--the slightest twitch of their muscle underneath their hide?

Jeez, Leos.

Who are you? The question begged to be asked, and I suppressed that shit--but maybe I shouldn’t have? Who was he to shudder against me; who was he to cry against me? I felt those things on my neck, you know, seeping into my coat with a warmth that was too hot to be skin. I breathed into the point of his shoulder; I buried my eye against him, hard, like I was reaching for him, like I hated to let go so soon. Who are you? Why are you trembling? I breathed steadily--unsure of what I wanted to say, how to say it, what it would do. Thank you popped up too, lots of times--but it got stuck in my throat, as though the words themselves were unsure. My lips found his skin finally, once I gave up and let them do their own thing--and it turns out, I guess I wondered if he needed morphine, too. Leos is what I ended up saying, a sigh or a question (a legacy, a saga) or whatever, and there was teeth there, too, and I was nipping at the mess I had made, righting his hairs and his fur; trying to bring some luster back to it (morphine).

But I had spoken—and before I could stop it, or even think about what I was saying, it was spewing from me, into the air, the light of the crystals, his neck: “I…my body’s older than me, and I still don’t understand it.”

I held my breath; my mouth kept moving, and I kept listening.

“I thought my Ma left me the first time ‘cuz she hated the daughter she had...”

It was all coming out in a rush, a cascade of stuff that I hadn’t tried to think about in a while—but were there, generating steam, gathering inertia, festering and breeding and growing, and I suddenly started wondering where those tears had come from.

“…and every time I see her, it feels like I was right.

I gasped; I clamped down a little harder than I intended on his skin and mane—but my eyes were still dry, even if they were red-rimmed. The tears had all been cried out, I guess.

“I…my Pa terrifies me,” this came out as a whisper, a breath hissed between clenched teeth, weak in my throat, like even my lungs were afraid of the idea, “I don’t know…what he wants.” I swallowed; I took a deep breath, and the air shook all the way down. I don’t know what I’m supposed to be.”

I was too numbed by him to know what I was doing—what the words meant, and why I spoke them, even if I didn’t understand what they meant. But there was a logic working itself in my head, sort of bumbling and hesitant, making sense only if you looked at it with the right kind of light. I had cried so hard and I had hated myself for the tears I shed against my will—like I didn’t deserve that sort of release.

But it’s not like there wasn’t a reason for those tears in the first place, right?

Leos…jeez. What a fucking conundrum he was. A headache driving me nuts (and making me numb). I wanted to know who the fuck he was so bad--his chapters, his volumes, his tomes. But how can I—how can I ask that, without offering my own story, first?

(This is why I cried, Leos.)

(This is what you’ve got caught in your mane.)

Ascended Helovian

I don't know how I ended up here. Eyes pressed shut tightly and heart beating, as if tried to outpace something, but how could it, when it was in his blood? When it came slipping through his veins, harsh breath pounding out like the war-drum beat of predators? It had spelled his destruction with crude claws and sang his name to the night sky, and he wondered if he was meant to battle it—if it was even possible to win...

His darkness was warm, full of the body pressed against his, and the salty scent of tears. It lingered on the edges of his consciousness, muting out the otherwise oddly sterile scent of the ruined cavern. He wanted to stay there, now that the burning, aching lump was receding, because it was oddly similar to.. peace. There was just this sense of pleasant numbness slowly filling him up, and it didn't have anything to do with cramped muscles and throttled nerves, but more to do with sinking back beneath the surface of the lake he had drowned in so long ago. It was better there, better that way, water filling up his lungs and his mind, diluting the tears and silencing his screams.

“Leos,” she whispered, that word again, that name, or was it something else? Had he guessed right he thought it came from ljós or was it some other language, some curse on her tongue? It reached him from a distance, slowly sinking through the water down to where he lay, and it tugged at his senses.. bidding him to return; working him closer to the surface, where the refracted sunlight almost reached him.

Because, after all, this wasn't about him.

It was about her. He had followed her, not sure what to expect, but ready, willing, to deal with whatever mess she'd found herself in. And in order to understand her, he needed to understand himself, and for that to happen, he needed a little bit of pain .. a little bit of memory .. scattered and bloodied, broken pieces strewn on a game board where hands that weren't his moved them.

He neither moved nor opened his eyes—just laid there in the darkness, the weight of his head resting against her back, and listened to what she said, mind churning softly beneath its thin layer of numbness. He would have to tread carefully within his own memories, lest he cut himself too badly on their edges, and lose what fragile grip he had on himself. So he listened.. and he wondered.. who this Elding was, and who her Ma was, and who her Pa was, and why the world was oddly cruel in the sense that they gave him as good an upbringing as you could wish for with loving parents and siblings, but not everyone else. Idly he wondered, if she had been his kid, would things have been different?

Probably not, his black heart whispered, just look at Snö.

After a moment Elding fell silent, her words spent, but her teeth still working, moving, sometimes tugging at his long hair and sometimes on his skin, pinching kind of restlessly. Mauja finally opened his eyes, pulled his head back a little so he could see her properly. When he'd been young, he had only had one path to walk—a path he slipped on, hit his head hard on, and finally fell off into some dark abyss.

Then, he'd probably landed in a snowdrift because he hadn't died, but he certainly hadn't known where to go, stuck in a dark forest in a blizzard that had raged on for the better part of his life.

"Be who you are," he finally said, voice husky with unshed tears and swallowed pain, "and become what you want to be."

Maybe it was cheesy (let's face it, it is), but it was another of those things he knew to be truth—and the truth isn't always pretty, dressed up in corsets and lace and with perfect skin. Truth is.. what we all are; scarred. "Your life is your own," he went on after a moment, wondering why his chest felt so heavy, and tight. "It's.. not easy, but.. your life is yours; live it not as others want you to, but as you want to.. and if your parents have any sense at all, they will not try to force their lives upon you," he was murmuring, it felt awkward, talking about someone's unknown parents like that, "and.. well.. if they can't be bothered to tell you what they want.. it's their loss if you can't stop to consider it, right?"

He felt like it was spiraling into the realm of "shitty advice", and pretty fast, but how do you explain to someone what you just know, what's nothing more than this feeling in your gut, your soul? "I just.. be who you are." And he had to end it there, because he could not find the words.

[ @[Roskuld] ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

His words and his voice washed over me—a tidal wave of morphine if I’ve ever known one—and part of me just wanted to…I don’t know man, just wanted to sort of sag and melt and let the timbre of his voice just hang there and let me listen without listening and just…forget what I was trying to say…

…but I was listening, and his words were an echo in my head—an echo I knew well, that I had etched into the insides of my skull, graffiti with the point of a dull, rusty piece of iron.

*"Be who you are, and become what you want to be."*

*"You were born for your own destiny. You do not have to be his half-mortal puppet if you do not want to."*

*”Roskuld, whether you believe it or not, you are powerful, strong enough to change the course of history if you wanted…or, you could disappear into the monotony of life, doing nothing."*

And it was the same melody being played in my head, discordant, in a minor key; I tensed against Leos involuntarily, my teeth suddenly rigid on his hide—and before I could stop myself, before I could think about it, before I could accept his words and go back to basking in his voice and—

“They tell me that,” my voice broke, and I was speaking louder than I meant to, and I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry but it came rushing out from me and there was no stopping it—“They tell me that, they say that all the time, that I’m my own body, my own mind, and I can do whatever I—“

He was looking at me now, his eyes piercing in a way that was too many things at the same time, too many things for me to handle—but I was looking into them, and there were no more tears to cry but there was something shaking in my chest and I guess it were the words I’ve been keeping locked in for so long--

“—they say I have a choice,” I gasp, the words pouring and tumbling and stumbling over my tongue in a rush, “they say it’s up to me, that I don’t—that there’s nothing I gotta—nothing I gotta prove--“

My face twisted in a grimace; my eyes went blank, or unfocused, like I were looking into someone else’s eyes at that moment. “—but then I am myself and my Ma ended up leaving and I barely even know my Pa, and even after I found Ma—It’s like-- sometimes, Ma just gives me this look--“ and the expression on my face turned ugly, like I was looking at something awful, or there was a nasty smell under my nose, “—and her eyes go dark and she’s not even looking at me anymore, it’s like I’ve got Pa’s face and I’m like, what do you want?! How can I fix that?!

I was talking too loud to notice it echoing in the cavern, against the crystals—the boom of my voice, the trumpeting of something appalling, like the truth.

He’s part of me!” I was practically shouting at this point, my voice bursting all over Leos’ long, innocent mane, his innocent neck, his eyes--“I can’t--change that, Lee! He’s a whole half of me and that’s the point, isn’t it, that’s the reason I’m—“

*”You exist to provide a balance between the mortals and us, to protect the mortals in our fury and bridge the gap in our strengths.”*

I grit my teeth (no tears no tears) because the scar inside me had only begun to heal, but it felt like it was ripping open again. “I’m here, and this is how I ended up being, but what if—“ I licked my lips, “—what if it’s not what they needed? What if they needed someone great who could do all this amazing shit--but instead—“

--then I broke—

“—instead they got me and now TOTO’S DEAD!!

I stopped, gasping, because suddenly my own voice was being hurled back at me (DEAD, Dead, dead…) and I just became aware of the rawness in my throat from all the shouting. But more than that—it felt like the spell was shattered in my distress, my voice knocking against the gentle panes of Leos’ mane, his weight and heat, the warm tenor of his voice—and it had finally broken to pieces and it was all my stupid fault.

I scrambled away from him; I rocked to my feet as quickly (and awkwardly) as I could, because there was no point anymore to stay down there and try to grasp a thing that was obviously lost. I…looked down at him, my breath heavy for a second, still shocked at what came pouring out, at how violent it had been. Then I sagged a little, my shoulders slumping and my head dropping as I searched for his eyes again. Fuck. I fucking ruined it.

“….I’m sorry,” I muttered, and even my voice sounded saggy and small. “I fucked it up.”

….then I…Like, I know it’s weird but I…a chuckled a little.

Because that’s basically what I’d been saying this entire time, wasn’t it?

God I’m stupid…” But I didn't know I had actually said that part. I had believed it was just a thought.

Ascended Helovian

We'll search our hearts before you die, let the times fade away,
It was given as a promise to each and every man...

“They tell me that,” and of course he would hardly be the first attempting to tell her such a thing—probably not the last, either, but he wanted so desperately to burn the truth into her mind as vividly as it was burnt into his.

But who was he to speak.. dog that he was, always a follower; someone's tool, the bloodied sword swung, the one who let the world kick and bite without retribution. Could he claim that he was who he wanted to be? Could he say that his life was his own, when the only meaning it had ever held was the one given unto him? Who did he even want to be? Hadn't he spent years trying to be someone else only to find that he couldn't change who he already was? That the so-called frost heart wasn't black with frostbite, but just as red as anyone else's? He wasn't sure he was who he wanted to be—he just knew that he was who he was, and that was.. that was just Mauja. Just Mauja, no more, no less.

It wasn't about being who you wanted to be, but rather it was not being who someone else wanted you to be. But.. ah, well.. it is easy to be wise in hindsight, and he didn't think it really mattered, because the landslide pouring out of her mouth probably needed to come out regardless. It sounded like he felt: infected. Whatever had caused this had been left to rot inside of her for too long.

He only wished he was as brave, that he one day could spit all his poison out too. It lay thick and black on his tongue, but it stuck against his teeth.

“I’m here, and this is how I ended up being, but what if—what if it’s not what they needed? What if they needed someone great who could do all this amazing shit—but instead—instead they got me and now TOTO’S DEAD!!”

Her voice rang around the cavern, the multitude of echoes giving way to the last word she'd screamed, dead, dead, dead, and Mauja felt something in his heart pick it up like a song, humming the word with soft sadness. Dead, dead, they're all dead. His road was paved with bones and lined with corpses; ghost-lights glowed in their hollow-eyed skulls, cheerily showing him the way to Hell.

Hell-o-via. He was already there.

The warmth her body had offered left, and while his ears were glad to no longer be so viciously close to her shouting, his soul missed her presence—not so much for the heat, but for what it meant, some kind of trust that she'd lain in his embrace and cried and spilled out all these things that really, her parents should be the ones hearing.. that it should be them here, soaking up her tears and trying to.. well.. help? But it wasn't helping as much as listening. A soft sigh escaped him as he took the opportunity to shift on the floor. He felt.. not exactly comfortable—it was a hard place full of uneven edges and something was pricking him pretty badly between two ribs—but it felt right to remain there, slowly shifting until he was more sprawled than anything. Still, he peered up at her, and then snorted. "Don't worry, you're about as stupid as the rest of those present," he told her with a slight twitch of the lips, a half-smile with an edge. "So you're in good company."

It was a bitter truth that he could probably lay there and mock himself all day. There was something so sickeningly refreshing about putting yourself down, almost liberating in some way—it was something he both craved and feared, like some kind of drug. It felt so good and at the same time it made him feel awful.

But maybe it's why he can't let go.

"Look, Elding..." And it suddenly felt so cheap that he was just sprawling there in her ruin, like some wastrel too wasted to get up again—so he rolled over on his belly again, tucking blood-scabbed knees neatly against his chest and sweeping the dust with his tail. He was so old, so far removed from the days of his youth, and she seemed so much stronger than she was (in this moment, at least); he'd seen the kid in her that first time on the beach when she—they—had panicked, but it was easy to forget.. but it was there, and he hadn't realized how important it was, and that just added to his mountain of guilt. "I can't claim to know what it's like to grow up with the sense of being unwanted, without the love of your parents—I.. was very fortunate in that regard," and he never would've traded that away, and certainly not knowing what he did now, "But..." And this was the hardest part. Laying your head beneath the axe and wondering where it will fall.

If it'll fall at all, or just loom there above you, some half-spoken threat, or truth. But it ate at him, at his guts, a fire that was spreading and going out of control. He had to know, or at least ask, but he was terrified of the answer. So when he spoke his voice was so soft, there in the wrecked cave.

"You sound as if you.. owe them—us—everyone.. as if you owe something, like, your life or something—" Not as death but every waking minute, every purpose; her death, if it was called for, but by whom?

He didn't know.

Or maybe he did but he didn't want to.

"—ah, fuck it," he muttered after that breath's pause. Curiosity aside, he felt like he was better off not knowing, better off not finishing that train of thought, or maybe just like it was too early for it. He.. didn't know. He felt as scattered as the crystal panes broken all around him.

Dead, dead, dead, his heart sang softly in the back of his mind, whispering in the lull between the pulses. He realized his gaze had dropped to the floor, and raised it again—soft blue searching for hers.

"Is this the first time.. you lost someone to death..?"

[ @[Roskuld] ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

My chuckle deepened into something more like laughter, falling gently from me as he offered a wry half-smile at me. I didn’t know it—but my nerves had been frozen and poised, watching him vigilantly, seeing just how badly I had fucked up the peace between us—but he seemed to forgive me, or at least he wasn’t as affected—and I dunno, maybe there was some piece of me that had expected him to vanish the moment I lost contact with him, the very instant something like real life pushed itself into our space, like arctic wind seeping through the cracks of a cave.

But there he was. Smiling up at me of all things, offering his own little blip of darkness that resonated far more heavily that it ought’ve. I opened my mouth—and closed it just as quickly. I had no right to his thoughts, or to contradict something he would probably know better about himself (Everything you’ve done so far has been so right, Leos). If it were me laying in the crystal there, I probably would have snorted, or even gotten offended if someone brushed off the darkness in my memories like cobwebs in the corners (you’ve been so good to me). His was a story unknown to me, no matter how painfully I wanted to sit down and read that fucker—and if he says he was stupid, chances are he might’ve been, after all.

(I don’t think you’re stupid, Lee)

I wasn’t even aware that I had chanced a step toward him; like I said before, my nerves were aching something fierce, and all the fiercer with this renewed distance between us. It was…(shut up). I dunno, man. I can’t (I’m not going to) tell you why I craved this closeness so hard. It was…weird for me. Too new to tell. But I guess there was something shared when you exchange your tears with one another, and twist them in your mane. A pact or…maybe a truce, or a contract of some sort, the kind that’s bound in blood, normally—but this one was done in tears. And…offhand insults I guess.

I wasn’t aware of my movement—that is, until I stopped in my tracks, listening to his words, fearing what they meant (what was Elding? Why did he call me that? Elding, elding, elding--). My breath hitched without my knowing, and my heart began to pound with doubt coursing through me; I bit my lip as I watched him, and I believed my face impassive, but there was probably a glint in my iris that was scared as hell. He was asking it, a thing I had almost blurted in my distress, a thing I wasn’t ready to give up yet. It was so much easier fucking things up when others didn’t know just how catastrophic your fuck ups really are. (...I don’t think I could bear his disappointment too.)

*"—ah, fuck it."*

And I could breathe again.

I didn’t want to keep myself from him. It felt…ugly and wrong for me to do, like it was pushing him away. But it was a catch-22, wasn’t it? Either I keep myself to myself, and it pushes him away—or I tell him, and he leaves anyway, disgusted with this and the tears I had left against him, soaked in his skin.

I ended up taking that step, anyway, while I listened to his next question. My lips twisted in thought, thinking back over the experiences of my life. “I…yes, it is,” I decided, wondering why it had been so hard to come to that conclusion; Toto’s death still ripped knives in me, and it was a sadness I had never experienced so hard before. “I was…terrified, though,” I continued, my mind stumped while my lips worked by themselves, obvious geniuses, “I’d been so terrified that it was gonna be my Ma next.” What is it about Leos that made my voice turn so soft? Not just in volume, either. Like…it was the voice of someone humane.

“We haven’t been…I haven’t been talking to her,” came the confession, the awful guilt of it spilling out of me before I could stop it, “And I…I just can’t stand to see that look in her eye, y’know? To know that she hates…” my voice failed, and I shook my head. “But I was scared that the next time I saw a body, it would…And I hadn’t even said anything to her for seasons now…” I couldn’t finish the thought. I remembered how the flames of the fire monster had illuminated the outline of her body; I remembered how haggard she had looked the last time we had confronted each other on that mountaintop. It wasn’t something I had to stretch my imagination too long to consider.

“…then I ended up losing anyway,” I said, something hoarse and cynical creeping into my teeth.

His eyes found me, then, and mine found his (thank you), and something in them reminded me of the sagas within, the glitter of years flickering behind the tousled locks that folded down the length of his nose. “Have you…?” I started to ask, my voice failing from all sorts of things, but my heart pressing the thought out of my throat, “…have you ever lost someone, Lee?”

Ascended Helovian

And suddenly it was just there, a thought in the back of his mind, some kind of revelation—not the kind that lanced through your skull like the first sunlight over jagged mountains, but rather the pre-dawn glow of a pale blue sky slowly lightening up with rose and peach, the whisper of a scent upon the wind... It was soft, and gentle, grasped him with its tender hands and momentarily choked him on the spot.

And I'm not talking about her heritage—gods it'd be so stupid and the utmost, cruel irony if she turned out to be the child of Ophelia and Sparkplug of all gods, it was ridiculous to even think it was that way(and yet there's this voice in the back of his head whispering cousin like a curse)—I'm talking about him, and his sorely misplaced mental health.

Because, he's found a few pieces of it again.

He had lost more in the recent months than he had in a long, long time. He had found Tolio lost, realized he'd lost Kou a long, long time ago—he had lost Ophelia after a fashion, and then..

And then, he had lost Psyche.

And almost.. almost, he had lost Kahlua.

But instead it felt like he'd won—like out of all those ashes and losses a fire had risen from some forgotten ember. He had finally caved in, he had gone home with Kahlua, and.. in the time since—the time leading up to him lying here in a cave and soothing a shadow from his past—in the time since he had been happier than he could even moderately remember being.

It had been a long time since he'd thought about going to sleep and never waking up again. It had been a long time since he'd snarled at the world and put himself to sleep on bitter, stinging tears. And it was in that moment, listening to her speak about her fear, that he realized it—that something had changed, within him. Darkness still chased itself around his soul and seeped through his ice-crusted veins and winter still coveted the remains of his heart but it was different now. He wasn't meant to be thawed and become some pansy—but he wasn't meant to sink in dark, cold waters and wish for the end either.

Life was about living, and to die willingly when so many had died unwillingly was sacrilege.

“Have you…? …have you ever lost someone, Lee?”

"Many," he says softly, voice barely more than a breath. Something in the blue of his eyes grew sharper as he looked at her again, and not at whatever revelation he'd just stumbled upon. But how do you go on from there? How do you confess to having lost so much—parents, siblings, lovers and friends—and just keep on talking..? What do you even say? Do you pick up on what she'd said, that she'd lost anyway, and admit to having found the body of one of your oldest, closest friends laid to waste in this mayhem of the gods?

Or do you just sweep the mess of your shattered heart back under the carpet?

The first time he really lost had been back then—that night, as his mind liked to call it, the night of cold and blood, stars and the scent of iron.

"I was around three the first time," he said, his jaws having worked soundlessly for a few moments before it finally came out, "and.. then it just.. never stops." He swallowed, found his eyes and nudged them back to hers. "You just keep on losing." It was a whisper infected with fear and pain, a glint of something hard and desperate in his eyes. After a moment he dropped his gaze again, to stare at something—anything—nothing. Just broken crystal and dust that had finally settled upon its own graves.

Bitter and rough, the half-snort, half-bark-of-a-laugh drew itself out of his throat. Look at him, trying to comfort someone who had lost for the first time (and having revelations about being happier, whatever happened to that?) and instead just pitching the unfortunate truth at her face without any warning; you will always lose. The more you love, the more it hurts, and the longer you live, the deeper the and more numerous the wounds. Why everyone didn't link arms and collectively jump off a high cliff escaped him.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, apologizing for everything—her loss, his words, his existence. "I'm not the best at being optimistic and comforting."

[ @[Roskuld] <3 ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

Something broke in his voice when he answered my (dumbass) question, and there were things that glinted in his eyes when he looked at me—and it was like we were back in the frozen desert again, the sky thick with frozen clouds and the wind whipping all around us, freezing his tears to his face and dulling the sharp pain I felt in myself when I looked at him ruined. But I had found him like that before; here he was now, falling into that state again, but this time it was all because of me.

Ugh, I’m so dumb. Why didn’t I anticipate something like this? C’mon, man! Shit! Get your shit together, Ros! Of course he’s gonna have nightmares and black things lingering in the back of his head (the dusty chapters that tempted me to read them, line after inky-black line); of course bringing them up would do this to him, break him to pieces from the inside out, just by thinking about it. Jeez. The same shit woulda happened to me if someone were dumb enough to wonder out loud “Hey, yer Ma still love ya?”

Shit, shit, shit! I paced nervously in place, watching him and hearing the soft tearing in his voice, the awful, heavy things in his chest as he answered me. Three…he had been three when he first lost; he had been older than me my age, then. And now here we were, and it had to be years down the road for him, and he was still carrying that loss with as many losses as he had picked up along the way.

*“…then it just.. never stops."*

(Oh jeez Lee, no, no, no--)

*"You just keep on losing."*

(I’m sorry, Lee, I didn’t mean to--I wasn’t thinking right--)

I huffed and snorted a little, a nice little panic coming over my bones as I beheld his breaking. No, no, no I gotta fix this, I can’t keep letting this happen—

--and I thought about the last time I had seen the salted ice on his face, and how I had bumbled about with words until I had done something that had…not really put him completely right, but it seemed like I had soothed him, put some ice (ha, but seriously) on a sore, aching muscle that was oozing black blood. I had touched him, then; and at that moment, driven by impulse more than anything, I hurried toward him with the duty (excuse) to touch him again, to try and soothe him again, make it right again, fix whatever shit I had fucked up with my thoughtless question--

--but like I said, it was pure impulse that drove me, and clearly not some kind of calculating mindset, because I had rushed for him, propelling myself way too quickly to stop, and the floor was crystalline and slippery with smooth fragments and powder and I fell toward him but it was more like I was falling on him—

--and my landing wasn’t that smooth and my shoulder launched itself into his neck somewhere and my weight was flung all over him in a messy barrage and I garbled BLEKGH— as my throatlatch got caught on the point of his wither—

--and there was a tiny piece of me somewhere in my head that considered drowning myself later for this little clusterfuck of a something going on--but every other part of me was itching, burning, begging for this to be right, to calm that darkness that threatened a rage on his breath and his words and the gleam of his eyes—

--to make it right.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean--ack--I didn’t meant to bring you back there,” I said quickly, my throat not really working all that well—y’know, since the collision. “I didn’t mean to—to stir things in your head ‘n make you—make you—“ cry, remember, feel the pain again. I shook my head against him and swallowed and tried to get my voice a little steadier, because it had started to shake, rocky with my worry, “I just—I was just wondering but—I didn’t mean to—to bring it back…” It was hurried whispers against him again, in his mane (again) and his skin (again) and hopefully they weren’t leaving a bruise as well.

I'm not the best at being optimistic and comforting, he had said.

“No, shut up,” I said roughly against him, “I don’t…I don’t want…I’m not expecting…” Words were becoming harder with every second and I sigh-grunted with impatience at my failing tongue. “You don’t have to…to try…” You’ve just shown up whenever I needed someone the most, without even trying, was what I wanted to say, what I wanted to imprint on his mind—but what ended up happening was that I gave a growl of frustration with myself and I pressed my head into him again, awash with embarrassment and worry for him--

“—you’re here,” came my muffled voice from somewhere in his chest. And that’s all I want.

Please stop crying. (as if that would make it stop.)

-permission to touch~

Ascended Helovian

Som det strålar från ditt hjärta
Som en motorväg av ljus
Genom hålet i mitt hjärta
Kommer räddningen till slut

Heart.. to heart; breath to breath, flesh to bone and back again. It moved between them, in them, unseen, bounded with the force of a pulse and creeping out with the tears and the words and the worries. The past couple of minutes became a tumble and a cascade, a rush in his mind, some kind of blurred memory insisting on overlapping with the present when really, it should just stay where it was, cached away for later introspection. He'd been fighting so hard to keep his own darkness at bay, to leash and chain the demons and cauterize his tears, but here they were anyway, the spotlight slowly shifting onto him.

All because he couldn't keep the stupid shadows out of his voice, out of his eyes, out of his goddamned life, but how could he when that shit was in his blood? When it was like a blindfold, shutters half-closed against the sun and refusing to come up again, a filter between everything he saw and everything he felt? Like it had to pass through something embedding a sharp piece of memory in it, robbing him of any moments of peace and bringing the cathedrals down all around in a shower of rubble and a halo of light through broken windows until it was nothing but a testament of failure and shattered glory. Like nothing could ever come to pass without his heart going ouch between two beats, a sharp little stab to remind him of what the future held.

Never to just rest in the light, and soak it up, well fuck, because he hid in the darkness still and each time he came out something had to remind him of why it was better there, consorting with the monsters he knew rather than the ones he didn't. It was familiar, an old kind of pain, but now it was lathered in a fresh edge of guilt. I'm sorry, he wanted to say, glancing up at her as she rocked into violent motion, for somehow making this about me.

But I tried.

What happened then wasn't really what he had expected—not that he'd really expected anything, mind, it was.. just.. whenever this had happened the past few years.. he could count the times when he'd received anything but the whole "you used to be so much more" deal. Years ago, Psyche had turned out to be not at all who he had thought (ouch), but then he'd been starved for it, until, until.. until her, and.. until Kahlua.

She could've just walked away. Taken her grief and left him in his pool of blackness on the floor.

Or rushed him to stomp out the fluttering, pathetic flame of his life.

And for a moment, he almost thought she was doing the latter, someone finally seeing a bit of sense—no, shut up—and he had a moment's wild panic, struggling in the throes of hope and denial and despair and betrayal and guilt and shame

But then she was just there, a tidal, ancient force smashing into him hard enough to make him grunt and nearly topple sideways, and they were back where they had begun, her voice rattling fervently against his neck.

And she was the one apologizing, when it should've been him, and he didn't care at all that she'd just landed on him—didn't even think about it—just felt his ears flick back kind of sadly as his gaze slid off the point of her hip and onto the wall. This had been about her and he didn't want to take her words and her apologies and her soothing presence because it hadn't been about him. He was a thief in her ruin.

He was an ice revenant with his heart carefully caged away.

And she breathed fires of—shut up.

þor.

He could've sworn that was his brother's voice right there, but there had been no whisper of the wind, nothing stirring in the cavern, so it must've come from within—a memory, a guess, an excuse?

Dare.

So he dared, slowly turning his head to cradle her neck, her voice still beating against him, so soft, like a moth's wings—you're here, and he wondered what he had tried to do. Let go? Let her in? All it felt like was like freezing over, nursing the ice around the wound back into its place, and feeling it settle over his mind like a chilling numbness, all soft smiles to make it not quite so dark.

Or maybe it was just resignation, lips pulling at her skin, at her mane, cheek rubbing against withers—he wanted to say, don't worry and you didn't bring me back; I live there, but he was silent again, the words dying upon his tongue. It wasn't about him. This wasn't about him. And it hadn't been her fault. And.. the.. it... He'd felt guilt when it had been about him, about the darkness devouring his thoughts and the light and hope and—so why bring it back? Why not just.. take where she'd left off, pressed against his chest, hidden in the long tendrils of his mane, and just.. let the rest be?

"No," he finally said, and he wondered what it was that he said no to—her apologies? Himself? Agreeing with her? With a soft sigh he laid his head upon her back again, as if there never had been space between them, as if nothing had driven her to her feet and away—as if nothing had pulled her back, when she could've just left this mess on the floor and walked out.

The good thing about armor is that it keeps you together.

Keeps your heart from spilling out the cracks.

"I am tired of breaking all my promises," forgive me for making it about me again, "so I can't promise to always be here," because I tend to disappear like smoke in the wind, "but I will never leave you until death takes me," and that's the only thing I can give.

"And," he went on, the corner of his mouth curling up again, "maybe not even then."

How it beams out of your heart
Like a highway of light
Through the hole in my heart
Salvation comes at last

[ @[Roskuld], the clunky bottom quote is my free-hand translation of the top one ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

Bodies are weird—and so is age. When you’re young, everything is springy and ready for bruises because it’s able to pop back into place so easily, ready for the next beating, ready to catch your horn in another tree somewhere. But then I—I guess you grow up, and the spring gets rusted and weak, and you start to feel a whole lot more things in your ass than you used to.

I had touched on this thought when I had first seen the tears just…slipping…from Leos’ eyes. Slipping like he had been tired of keeping his lids shut tight for so long, like they were weak or he just didn’t give a fuck anymore. He had been tired in a way that I didn’t know in my youth—and maybe he was still tired, what with whatever shit he had just continuing to pile on old table legs that were beginning to creak and crack with time. I’m not gonna lie; I still hurt. Badly. All of my insides were still pounding with raw meat that had been sliced and scissored with my loss of Big Toto—but I didn’t cry anymore, probably because I was so sick of it and my eyes had dried up and my face was empty of snot. My heart was springy, I guess—elastic—and while every pound brought an unbearable ache to me, it was something I just had to grit my teeth and handle, and let it wash over me and shame me for this peace I didn’t deserve, and yet craved greedily anyway.

But…Leos?

I don’t know his heart…but it felt…worn. Tired. Ready to let the tears slip from it.

(It was about you anyway, Leos.)

I breathed against his mane and there was his mouth again on my neck, my back, my neck and my back, and then I couldn’t help but tug a little of his hair into my teeth, an answer, an allowance (and indulgence) that worked my jaw automatically, thoughtlessly and heady with…things.

(You were the one who followed.)

”No.”

Something gripped me hard inside; I tensed against him, and I would have jerked away from him in response, thinking his word was a refusal of…me something. But his lips had been there already and his weight had already fallen on me and he had already gathered me in his shadow even though I had knocked into him like so many boulders and I—and a childish thing had come over me and I—I clung to him desperately, ignoring the shouting in my head, the disapproving glare that my consciousness gave me. I knew better. I knew better and I still couldn’t help myself—and there was some sort of trepidation gathering in the crevices of my mind that was so easily pushed aside by a musk I was beginning to memorize.

*"I am tired of breaking all my promises, so I can't promise to always be here…”*

“But—“ I started, my voice still caught into the bulk of his neck—but he was still talking, and my voice died as I listened:

*"…but I will never leave you until death takes me…And maybe not even then."*

I held my breath, disbelieving what I was hearing. But…no, I believed it so hard that it hurt, or at least I wanted to, but there was a tiny little thing shouting in the confines of my skull that blared this annoying shit called caution, afraid of a scratch on the calloused surface of my heart. “I don’t want promises anyway,” came my voice from somewhere near his chest, “they’re made to be broken. They’re just…debts you can’t ever pay.”

(“We’ll…we’ll see this land, Ji. We’ll see more than some grass and some god-awful sand or whatever the hell. We’ll see things and do other stuff and—)

--they’re made to be broken.

(“I’ll—I’ll come back for you.”)

You can’t ever pay.

But Leos had never left me before, had he? He hadn’t left me when the darkness had come and threatened to swallow the whole load and I had been dumb enough to stand there and let it take me, too. He certainly hadn’t left when my dumb ass remembered I had left Jiji (you can’t ever pay) in the darkness behind me, and I had hauled ass to…to fail her, again. But Leos’ words had been true even before he spoke them; and, coming up on that thought, the hesitant little voice in my head became more subdued (but never, never forgotten, or gone.)

“…Thank you,” I found myself saying, so quiet, so tiny that I barely recognized myself, “Thank you for letting me cry.” There. I had finally said what was branded in my chest, on my tongue and in my eyes when I looked into his. Finally.

But there was a second part to that speech, wasn’t there?

“And if—if you…” I started, a little stronger, the words even harder than before. I took a deep breath and drew away from him slightly, so he could hear me better, “If you…if you—eh—um..” my tongue was going dry and so was my throat and it was just four fucking words that had decided they weren’t coming out. If you-- I tried again, this time getting visibly annoyed. If you ever needed to cry. Fuck. Jeez. If you ever needed to--

“….whatever,” I said, defeated and deflated, and my muzzle dropped against him again, ashamed with everything.

Ascended Helovian

Mary Shelleys dröm
syr en sick-sacksöm
över allt som vintern gömt
över allt som hjärtat glömt

“But—“

No.

His head was starting to pound again, a pressure situated somewhere behind his eyes—it wasn't pain as much as it was weight, all of the world gathering within his skull to push it down. Her back was warm against his jaw, but his mind was cold.

Things were slipping, ends not connecting, pulled too far apart and threatening to break. It was harder to listen, to understand, to string two things together and watch them form a coherent whole.

Like trying to grasp smoke with your hands.

Elusive.

How many things had he promised over the years? And how many of them had he fulfilled? He recalled telling—promising—Ulrik that he would never again allow hornless to share the Edge with them, and.. well.. Mirage had made sure he did good on that, by removing him from the one place in which he could break it. What else had he promised? To take back the Edge, for Snö. To never leave this or that person. To protect Elding during the darkness. To stop running, to.. be honest.

How much of it had he done? And how much of it did he know he would never do?

You can't gamble with your honor if you never had any in the first place.

He felt infinitesimally small, lying there next to her.

And the world was a vast, vast place, full of unfortunate corners and sharp edges, pitfalls and dead-drops and quicksand and shit. If he stood upon his road—that bone-bricked road haunting him, blood-painted signs—what could he see at the end of it? Along it? Pain. The promise of pain.. red rose petals scattered beneath his hooves as he thundered along blindly. He would love and he would lose and it had drained the world of color.

He breathed in the scent of her, and breathed in her voice, heard it with his ears as much as he did with his heart. He heard it, and he knew what he was missing: courage.

Not strength, nor hope, nor the bravery needed to rush in front of a bear to protect someone, but..

What he lacked was the courage to love.

He was so blinded by the fear of pain that he would rather isolate himself, slip back into his icy fortress, than risk it, and he knew it, but how do you convince someone who is riddled with burns to play with fire again? How do you just close your eyes and leap off the edge, and trust that either there will be someone there to catch you, or that it just would be worth the impact anyway? Life was a journey, a voyage, but he was too busy running to savor it—dashing headlong for the end, which meant nothing more than a long, bitter sleep for him. He saw no paradise, no heaven, no place of sanctuary. Just.. nothing.

“Thank you for letting me cry.”

I wish I was brave enough to do the same.

But he wasn't, so he felt them freeze in his soul, stuck trying to go somewhere they couldn't. How many years, how many deaths, can you bottle up? What happens when you're just full? Or are you always expanding that lightless vault, finding new, dusty shelves to place the bottled grief upon? Delving deeper and deeper into darkness.. could someone find you there? Retrace your steps through all those secrets, read the carefully labeled moments, and tear it all out of your soul?

She had leaned back again, tongue stumbling over words, or maybe it was her courage getting stuck in her throat. He felt too beaten to guess at what she was trying to say, too unfocused to do anything but just lie there. Maybe.. maybe that was what happened, when you ran out of space for all those things you kept within—you just sort of.. ceased to function.

Was he erasing memories of other things? Was he allowing the darkness to eat him up, and swallow everything else?

“….whatever,” and her warm breath beat against his skin again, tangled in his mane, stirred it and (in his mind) whispered things he knew the gale would've whispered, had it been able to blow in here. Little words of truth and honesty and courage, that word þor ricocheting around in his skull with destructive force. Each time.. more things came lose.. and not just what he had lost but what he had made others lose—years with his horn bathed in blood.

It nearly frightened him, how cold and cruel he had been.

"I—" he heard himself say, but his voice was strangled, as if it couldn't properly make its way out of his chest, and.. he didn't even know what he had meant to say, just knew what his heart whispered into the silence, I have damned myself.

He didn't deserve to have her this close, to.. hear her heart.. through his chest. To feel each of her breaths expanding against him.

But it wasn't his choice. So he didn't say anything about it. Just pressed his eyes shut tighter, wondering why it was so hard to just dare—his heart trembled in his chest, but still he swallowed his tears.

Mary Shelley's dream
makes a zigzag seam
over all that the winter concealed
over all that the heart forgot

[ @[Roskuld] ]
du lät exakt som ismael.

The throbbing in my chest was getting deeper—not harder or anything, not any more painful than it already was, but it was pulling on me in a way I couldn’t ignore anymore; there were even still little hiccups in the back of my throat whenever I took a breath: no tears, just the traces of them. It felt like I was shaking, even though my body wasn’t, and that something unstable was rattling its way across my bones and muscle. I was leaning far more heavily against Leos by then without even noticing the way I sagged into his embrace, melding against his form and the breath I felt from him—and my dumb ass wouldn’t recognize the exhaustion before it was too late.

*"I…"*

“Hmm?” I asked, jolting myself out of the lethargic state I hadn’t even noticed I was falling into. “Wassup, Lee?” I asked, the words croaking and slurring from my throat when he didn’t finish the thought. I cocked my head upwards, my ear trained to his voice, and I felt a flutter of panic as his words seemed to catch in his throat and chest.

Then I panicked even more because I had already asked dumb questions before, and it had pulled him into places (whether he said so or not) that even I didn’t feel like going; so I shook my head and I felt my neck crik a little and I forced the question out of my mouth and out of the air. “No—don’t—“ I stammered, my heart hammering, “—don’t—um, you ain’t gotta answer that. Forget about it.”

Then I scowled at myself because Leos was a grown-ass man and I had no right to tell him what to do with himself or his thoughts or whatever and I was making this pit worse with every thoughtful word I offered. “No—I mean,” I started, my voice thick with stuff I wasn’t seeing, “just….agh, I don’t mean you have to—you don’t—I mean you can do what you want, I just—“ I shook my head again, the air gushing out of my chest (tiny hiccups), and I flopped my head back down against his chest, into the depression I had made in the junction of his neck and the mane that flowed like sheets of snow all around me. Whatever,” I huffed again, losing a battle with words and heart.

I don’t remember falling asleep. I’m not even sure how it was possible, because my mind was whirling so hard in the silence between us (what do you expect? Our silences were heavy with things we couldn’t say). As hard as I tried to ignore it, I felt his heart beating through the bars of his ribcage, and every beat did a thing to me that made me wish I couldn’t hear it (Death, death, death…). His scent was etched into my mind now, his warmth embedded in my own, and it was gross and I hated it and my heart fluttered weakly and my hiccups settled in the back of my throat and I sighed against him (I think I said ”Lee”) and somewhere around that time I was done, finished and K.O.’d, because no matter how hard you cry or the pain hurts, you can only take so much before your body shuts down, whether you want it to or not.

Blackness took me somehow, I guess. But I can’t lie and say I was too pissed about it.

Because the voices had stopped—

(it’s all your fault barely a whisper)

--and I was at peace for a minute. Embraced by snow.

[THANKS FOR A DELICIOUS THREAD, BRAH]

Ascended Helovian

“Whatever,” summed it up well—there was nothing more for them here, nothing else to find, just lost shards of thoughts, memory, and pain.. wandering souls, strewn across the cavern floor and half-hidden in the crystal dust. There was nothing more for them in the words. Nothing she said would bring her cousin back; nothing he said would soothe the pain in her heart.

And nothing he said would bring         

His heart timed out, fell through the bars of his rib cage, and sank ten thousand feet beneath his body; the air grew cold and thick in his throat, a rattle like panic voicing a paper-thin whisper in his lungs.

And nothing he said         

He couldn't finish the thought. It drowned in a shrill cacophony in his head, taken and dragged down to where it came from; chained against the blood-splattered floor, not even a sacrifice because it was meant to be fucking forgotten, buried beneath so many layers of stone, iron and snow that no thaw would ever reach it.

This was the most vividly he had allowed—slipped?—himself to feel it—remember it—acknowledge it... could it really lay at the heart of everything? Could it be the point he could trace everything back to?

It seemed so.. small a thing, scarred over (scabbed over; there were no scars in that place, his heart, just raw wounds hidden beneath maroon crusts and tarry tried blood), so long ago, but every damn thought he traced led there—that night.

His first loss.

The depthless sea of guilt and shame.

She was asleep against his chest, unaware of what she had set in motion, what he had set in motion by allowing his mind to roam and thoughts to play with words—

—he couldn't finish the thought but he knew what came after it; "nothing she said would soothe the pain in his heart".

He wished he could sleep, too, let his eyelids fall to hide the light blue eyes, but he was too awake—too aware—and not exactly falling apart but the cracks were growing wider, a little light and a little love slipping through, spilling out in a tide of calm tears and words she would not be able to understand, but they needed out and there was finally no one there to hear them.

And so it was that Mauja spoke of his life for the first time, as he laid there watching over the child of his most heart-breaking union, until the words ran out or she woke up or he fell asleep or whichever happened first—it didn't matter, because he became lost in himself and the moment, blissfully unaware of the delightful irony of it.

[ the end. <3 ]
du lät exakt som ismael.