the Rift

Featherweight.

Karnivool Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Karnivool

Something does feel right for the first time in forever.

It is night and the air is breathable and almost humid because of the countless trees surrounding and sheltering me from the world. I feel safe as I walk around the giants of old, easily keeping my horns from getting tangled into twines and low hanging branches. My mind wanders off on its own for a few minutes to explore what kind of place I wish this could be.

I want to see dragons, race against flying horses and speak with immortal kings. I want to bow before a princess and save a damsel in distress before I have dinner with the Gods. I am so young, so fragile, but still I dare to dream of the impossible.

The thought of myself as a chivalrous and gallant hero festered in my heart and made my lungs swell with air as I claimed my place on a small ledge overlooking an opening in the woods. I felt royal standing there with my head raised high and eyes slowly inspecting each stone and leaf. Nothing stirred and it seemed like the world was still sleeping after a day of heat. How dull. How extremely dull and boring.

I snort as my facade crumbled into pieces I am unable to pick up again. Who am I kidding? I am nothing more than just an overgrown colt carrying silly dreams. I've heard them talk behind my back more than once and it still fucking hurts. Fuck 'em. I will not let anyone bring me down and make me cower like a mice under the foot of an elephant.

This will be my new beginning.

Let's make it a good one, shall we?

I hope you enjoy the view
Image Credit

OOC - Open to anyone as I have no plans for Karni yet :)

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
The Earth God had worked quickly. Almost too quickly. Kvothe and I had earned ourselves a wonderful room and I had reveled in my time with him. Then just like that it had ended. Kvothe and I had parted ways once again. The empty space at my side now felt empty and strangely enough I even missed Elodin's indignant cries. A smile crosses my face thinking of how such a miniscule creature can create such a fuss; he seems to think himself to be royalty.

I watch as my feather bounces along with a new charm in my forelock. The glass of the feather has an added sheen to it as water from my new raindrop shaped charm sends out its fine water droplets. As I trot briskly through the Threshold the charm keeps me cool and almost seems to try to put out more of its cooling droplets as I grow hotter. I had gotten used to the shade of the Earth God's boat and the coolness of the breeze that brushed off of the surrounding water's surface. But now that water is gone and with it had gone the breeze and without either it now seems to be almost unbearablely hot.

The sun beats down upon the land. I suppose that it had to work hard to dry up the unbelievable amount of water that had rained down, so now it shines down with extra vigour due to the pride brought on by its hard work. Maybe the god had forseen this whenever he offered the water forming charm.

The events that have passed will be stories to tell our grand-foals oneday. It had been a marvelous adventure and I am thankful to have a souvenir to prove the part that I played. All of my life I had dreamed of being a hero as everyone has at some point, but now I feel as if I have finally put forth a heroic effort towards something.

Now I wonder what to do next? How do I follow an event as what had passed up? For now I am making my way back to Dragon's Throat, eager to check on those I consider to be family. I feel even more closely bonded to the rest of the Helovians after going through such a large event together.

Coming through the Threshold I hum happily. Everything feels so right. My eyes skim over the forest as I pass by fondly inspecting to see how everything fared the flooding. I feel well knowing that everything is as it was. Then my eyes widen and a grin spreads across my face as I spot something that is new.

"Hello there! Welcome to Helovia!" I stop my movement towards home and prance towards the newcomer. "You have entered into a land with more adventure and magic than what you would believe." I wink at him, "In this land fairytales run through the forests and live all around us. I welcome you to stay and become a part of it." My mood after my recent adventure has me practically dancing in place. Helovia really is magic. "I am Rei of Dragon's Throat! How are you?"

OOC: Posting from my phone, please ignore any grammar slip ups and the table-lessness.
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather
Imogen & Lena
The haunting minstrels faded away, leaving the crisp, golden sun to beckon them from amidst piers and aqueducts, reborn and renewed. She aimed to make the most of it, dancing and waltzing from beyond massive monoliths and towering summits, pretending and obliging in fairy tales again, bounding from rock to rubble, from ruin to repose. While not entirely opulent or taken into incandescent reveries, she was still enticed into rendezvous with the unknown, pulsing and gliding from leaf to bough, nestled and chiseled in the filaments and fineries of warmth. Though scarred, though blighted, though punctured, lanced, and bruised, the Songbird awakened in the sheen of day, casting back the glamour and splendor of the summer’s vestiges, singing and humming as she drifted into the threshold. Her intentions were pure and well founded, searching and exploring the vast regions for more individuals, for more citizens, for more inhabitants to ensure her herd continued its wondrous growth. She breezed past locked gates and beneath clouded branches, Imogen trailing at her heels, chirping and chirruping in the vestal haze, neither paragon nor sinner, caught in between havoc and virtue; they both explored, ventured, dug into soil and soot and sand and stone, extending movements and motions in the shadowy corridors and the pressing villas, twinkling into midnight pools and venetian resplendence. Up ahead, she caught a scent, unfamiliar, tangled into the newcomers’ travels, stories and mythos mixed with mysteries and enigmas. With only a wry grin, a rapt smile, she poised her intentions towards the ivory vixen, and they sailed like saintly merchants, following the trail and path of visitors. They were not the first to arrive, gentle, warm eyes ensnared the image, an obsidian stag flecked and flanked with gold, a Pegasus extending her greetings (she only caught the tail-end of her speech, Rei, of the Dragon’s Throat), friendly, open, and the Mender knew the effects of kindness, granted hers in the bed of rivers and currents of the uncertain. A lilting aria, beautiful and harmonic, transpired from her mouth, a composition of niceties and amiability, followed by a dip of her tiara, a dance from Imogen nestled at her heels. “Good day! Welcome to Helovia!” She paused, tilting her head a fraction, glancing from each, warm, tenderhearted. “I’m Lena of the Aurora Basin. Who are you, and what do you hope to find in Helovia?” Perhaps one of them would be able to provide and bestow his ambitions and aspirations.

Look like the innocent flower,
But be the serpent under it.
Credits to wakalrus for image, Frostie for table. <3

Unregistered
Karnivool

Even a mice can be honorable and keep the wolf away from the sheep. At least that was what I still believed as I held my stance and kept on breathing while the earth spun me around. It stopped though, the second another soul passed in front of my eyes and broke the silence of the woods.

She was spotted black and white with wings and a smile that most mares would envy. I liked her the minute I laid my eyes on her and somehow she pulled me to her. Maybe it was the way she spoke or even the little wink in the middle of a sentence. Oozing positivity and joy, I soon shared her smile and ventured down from my little cliff to properly introduce myself.

There proved to be no time for introductions just yet, because we were soon accompanied by another soul, this one bay and horned. I almost felt overwhelmed by the greetings and warm welcome I recieved from both of them. So I bow my head in both respect and awe before I dared to look at each one more closely with blue eyes. "I thank you both," I say and fix my gaze on each one in turn, even the little furry one on the ground. "for this sincere and warm welcome. I am Karnivool and what I hope to find here in Helovia, is a purpose and a life."

I smiled as I talked, just to soften up the well spoken words I so ardently tried to rid myself of. There was no need for honorable titles or manicured replies. Here I could be myself and breathe freely for the first time since I escaped the womb. There was just one problem though - who am I?

Image Credit

Purpose . Purpose sings the siren song that is so tirelessly chased after by all. It whispers in our ears as we dream and dances just out of reach during our days. Purpose has evaded my grasp for the seasons that I have called Helovia home. I wonder if Lena has found and caught hold of hers. What will Karnivool's own calling be?

"I wish you luck in finding your purpose! I search for the same myself." You would think that finding yourself would be one of the more simple tasks in life, after all, you are always with yourself. Yet many are still undecided about who they are and what they are meant to do in their time here. I snort at the thought that I am still pretty darn undecided about everything in my life.

"Each of the herd lands have healers, crafters, warriors, storytellers;" I rolled my eyes skywards and mouthed the different positions back to myself trying to be sure that I had covered them all. "And all other sorts of positions." I looked to Lena to see if she wanted to add anything to my words.

"Many who hold any of those rankings get a sense of accomplishment and purpose from their work." I tilted my head to the side to allow the feather Nasreen had made me to fall into view. Behind it clinked my raindrop charm. "A friend of mine is a crafter able to work with glass and she gifted me with my feather. You should have seen the expression that crossed her face while she worked!"

I grew quiet remembering how she had looked. Focused. Content. Delighted. What I wouldn't give to experience the same feelings. A few bees buzzing about nearby caught my attention. Each moved from flower to flower with such purpose. They were born knowing that they were going to bring beauty into the world through the plant life that they pollinate. If only we too were born knowing.

"Karnivool, do you have any idea as to what your purpose may be? Or what kind of life you want to make for yourself?" Tearing my eyes from the bees I was filled with determination to not only help the newcomer find where his purpose lays in wait, but also to find out my own. "Together Lena and I could help you get onto the right path.
Magic usage is okay.

Imogen & Lena
Heartfelt sonnets and songs drifted amidst the summer haze, and her grin softened, her eagerness composed, her rhythm chimed and echoed; she knew of the hunt for purpose, for ambitions, for aspirations, and for goals in life. She’d stumbled her way through the muck and mire, through war and pestilence, had traversed as gypsy, had unfolded into edges and cliff sides, been banished, spun consul, until settling into a chosen venue, a walk of life. Finding and discovering a passion wasn’t easy, and she hoped to assist the newcomer in some way, whether he yearned to twist his way through soldier roots, plant fibers as a sleuth, craft and share as an engineer, or roam his way along valleys, twisting and turning, in an endless pursuit of what he craved. “A pleasure, Karnivool. Rei speaks the truth – there are many avenues to explore.” She’d found her calling through trial and error, because it would never be war (no matter how many times she found her soul buried in strife, in violence), wandering amidst plumes and barbarities until she’d pinioned and harpooned her livelihood into healing, into soothing, into assuaging the broken, the beaten, the damned. Her aria lifted from her throat, bubbling and clear, mellifluous and bright, resolution and determination bolstered and heightened, lilting and longing, hoping to find a way to bestow her sagacity upon the ebony stag. “I discovered my prowess, healing, from experience and growth. I think the more you become involved in this world, the more you see, the more you scrutinize, you’ll see what you’ll want to become.” She winked at the Pegasus (she found she rather liked her; earnest, kind, and benevolent), because the notions and sentiments were for her benefit as well, before riveting her gaze back to the stranger – the unknown unraveling before him. So many paths, so many choices, and ultimately, eventually, he’d find what he was searching for. But perhaps, they could point him in a clear direction, if he had some rumination, some thought, to help him get there. “Do you have any particular passions or interests?” She tilted her head, thought of Rei’s long list, conjuring more regal compositions, playing off of the other femme’s words. “What do you enjoy the most? Fighting? Nurturing? Spying? Crafting? Listening?” Each one held clear skills and noteworthy ambitions. Each one could be utilized and beneficial towards a herd, a home, a brethren, a family.

Unregistered
Karnivool

I wished life could always be as easy as it was now, with kindness and opportunity sneaking into every words Lena and Rei spoke. I listened carefully, but dared not wish for it to be true. Too many times had I felt the pain of reality claw at my young heart before it shattered my dreams. I had not yet picked up the pieces from my last realization and I did not wish to add to the pile.

Even though these dark thoughts haunted my mind, I felt myself smiling. It was not hard learned decorum that tugged at the corners of my mouth, but rather a huge appreciation towards the two mares. The trust I felt between us allowed me to look closely at Rei's feather as she spoke about her friend, the crafter. "It is indeed a work of art! You must introduce me to her someday so I can tell her how much I admire her work." I said cheerfully after withdrawing from her personal space and giving us all room to breathe.

It was needed, for questions about my capability and interests soon fluttered between us like butterflies. I let them wither and die as I thought about what I could contribute to such a vast place and it's inhabitants. "I do not know." I shrugged my shoulders lightly as I spoke. "I am not from a place where someone is allowed to have interests or a purpose besides being polite and breed. Please do not think of me as tedious and dreary because I lack experience and knowledge of another life."

I did not fear their rejection at my words, but I felt a bit of my pride corrode. So that was the price then, for a new life; I had to let my painfully accomplished dignity decay so new possibilities could flourish in it's place.

Image Credit

"I would love to introduce you!" I am all grins; does life get any better? Making new friends that wish to meet the old. I could befriend all of Helovia that way! World domination? Not my style. World.. friend-ination? I will know all ! "Perhaps you could use your good looks and charm to convince her to craft something for you."

I am eager to hear the stallion's talents and interests but a knowing smile comes across my face after hearing his answer. "Have no worries Karnivool," I have put my joking aside and I speak to him in a sincere manner. "Where I came from I was unable to learn much about life due to how differences were viewed there.I am still figuring out who I am because of it. It will take you some time, but you will find your path in life! To start make friends and focus on enjoying yourself." After all, the best way to learn of yourself is through others. To learn of your own passions you sometimes need your own flames lighted by the gleam that sparks in another's eye.

"It gets lonely wandering Helovia on your own. Although you are free to be an Outcast," really, we need to find a better word to refer to those who wish to live on their own. "But I would be delighted to show you to my home and I am sure that Lena would feel the same. Tell us of what you want in a home and we can direct you as to where you may fit in." I go quiet and wait for his response. I cannot seem to stay quiet while greeting newcomers so I fill my mouth with a cluster of especially tasty looking clover.

OOC: I am sorry that this isn't all that great. My muse faceplanted.
Magic usage is okay.

Imogen & Lena
Perhaps one of the more enchanting figments of the world was the ability to change, to morph, to mold, to become altered and sculpted based on roles, on experiences, on discoveries and furtive, specious moments. They’d all been shaped and formed in one way or another, blighted, scarred, carried on the shoulders of stronger, mightier creatures, they’d all wandered from confine to confine, building, blooming, in different fathoms and warrens. She, a nymph of the north, had once threaded her ties here, followed a golden stag into the Edge, had her heart scorched and emboldened into war, and that had been the mere beginning, the genesis, of her journey. Karnivool was given a clean slate, a void from his other realm, from his other life, an opportunity to start fresh and anew, to relish and rejoice in the potential, in the offerings gifted and granted to him. The choice was his, which path to wander, which trail to conquer, which land to christen or anoint his name, or to traverse beyond mortal tethers, face adversity alone, his home laden beneath the sun and stars. The Time Mender conjured another gentle smile, acknowledged his circumstances, but never chastised, never scolded, and instead, hastened him towards a persevering crusade, where roads intermingled and trails crossed one over the other, where maladies conformed and where gentle elements lay, eager to caress a newfound traveler. “Then you must allow your experiences and time within Helovia to shape you.” She grinned, winked, nodded in agreement to Rei’s claims, procured the softer reign of dulcet ditties, of sinuous, mellifluous strains, elegantly tracing her harpsichord raptures and reverie across the forested wake. “Seize what the world offers you, and you’ll discover so many things about yourself.” If one could tolerate violence, if one can summon and lacquer the enamel of strength across their spines, along their chests, if they could defend what was theirs…her sentiments broke away, summoning the bounty of her beneficence as Rei offered her home. A bright, luminescent shard of pride brewed in her soul, in her essence, forged and pervading her quiet sketches, her calm, reverent refrains, as she took to describing her empire. “My home is towards the north, in the Aurora Basin. We’re surrounded by mountains, and host a beautiful, lush valley, caverns, even some delightful hot springs and a lake that never freezes. We’d be happy to have you live amongst us.” The nymph tilted her head a fraction, graceful and elegant, minute and tender. “If such a world doesn’t interest you, however, I’m sure either of us could point you towards an empire that does.”

Unregistered
Karnivool

I could not withhold the laugher bubbling from my chest as Rei's suggestion sank in and both eyes and mouth showed the joyfulness I felt. "Maybe I should, Rei, for that would indeed be something I would never think of doing until today." She was such a pleasurable mare and I already felt both grateful and blessed for meeting her. Who would have thought that I was worthy of her time?

The same went for Lena. She made me feel comfortable in a way that few could. I listened to every word they spoke, heeding each advice on how I best should start my new life. I felt like it had already begun with a bang.

If there was one thing I had learned about making decisions, it was that I should make it as soon as possible. No dilly-dallying. It was not fair to anyone. But then again, choosing where to live was not as easy as choosing what flower to eat first. Maybe I should have ignored my own advice and given it some time before I gave my final answer, but I did not. The choice was made. "I have always loved the mountains." I said before I laid my eyes on Rei and gave her a smile. "But I will only go to the Aurora Basin if I am allowed to come and visit you. You make me happy and I can not live long without happiness."

I always had a hard time choosing one thing over the other, but today it felt.. right. I could live with my decision to follow Lena to the Aurora Basin, because I knew it would be worth it to walk for days and even weeks to visit Rei.

Image Credit

OOC - I chose for him to go to the Basin since I haven't had any characters there yet and I think it would be good for his development as a character ^^,

I am flustered by his words and for a moment I stand without a response. I had made him happy? A warmth spreads from the tips of my ears all of the way to my hooves from knowing that I had brought happiness to another.

"Of course Karnivool! Please consider us friends, anytime that you would like drop by the Throat. The Aurora Basin gets rather cold I am sure. You could visit for a little vacation!" I turn to face Lena, "You should visit sometime also!" The Basin mare had been elegant and poised but most importantly she had been kind. Lena was far from the image I think of when imagining the unicorns of the snow capped mountains. "I consider you both friends."

Grinning brightly I look them both over, committing their faces to memory. Then waltzing to each in turn I bid them goodbye as if we are old friends. I drape my neck across their shoulders, giving each of them a hug. I hope that they will oneday take up my offer on visiting Dragon's Throat. In my head I am already making plans for their visits.

"Have a safe trip home! My eyes dance as I say 'home' and I look to Karnivool as I do so. I am so excited for him and the future that he will find for himself.
Magic usage is okay.

Imogen & Lena
Acceptance floated as a calm, exotic refrain, and her grin curled and coiled into a rhapsody’s oeuvre, grateful and content at Karnivool’s decision. The Basin’s prowess was well refined and enigmatic, and though he’d chosen it for the scenery, for the speculation, she hoped he’d stay within its confines for the crisp, chilling wares, for the dominating potency, for the unwavering strength and fortitude they carved and lacquered from icy walls and bubbling hot springs. Interestingly, his decision came with a motive, a bargaining chip, and though not malicious or menacing, she quirked a brow at the interesting incentive. Truly, as the nymph glanced towards Rei and widened her smile, the Pegasus was endearing and kind, benevolent and gracious, not coated in pretenses or specious interludes, a breath of fresh air. She enjoyed her as well, and to admit the visits and meetings weren’t likely to be a problem or dilemma was a refreshing concession (an interesting, reposeful change of pace from recent events flooded with murder or mayhem). The sylph looked to both, tender and beneficent, coaxing her mellifluous arms and alms back into the widened copse, promising fledgling journeys and enveloping crusades. “You’d be in luck – our herds recently came together in armistice.” Peace - a novel concept for worlds constantly torn and slashed apart, a wondrous alteration from grinding, rapacious, avaricious requiems and laments. She chose to cherish it, to embrace it, to hold it for as long as possible, until the eventual crescendos of violence beckoned over the horizon, and they’d be lost to its power all over again. “Perhaps we’ll both come to visit, Rei. I hope you have a pleasant journey home.” The Mender winked, jubilant and ebullient, contorting a few whimsical strides towards the predetermined fortress, knowing the trail by heart, following the primrose distortions and the glorious, cooling affirmations, looking behind her to ensure Karnivool traipsed along the same boundaries. “Follow me!”

[I’ll make a welcoming thread and tag you in it! :DD]