the Rift

[OPEN] If I put on googley eyes, will you be Pet Rock? [hatching]

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

Tiptoeing through the pine needles that litter the floor of the forest, I've snuck away from all the eyes that watch me, that try to keep track of me. Breccan, Papa, and Mum. I know I'm still little, but I can take care of myself a LITTLE bit, right? I'm sure I'll never wander too far from them, but every now and then it's good to get out by myself. Dark hooves are silent on the ground, my iridescent wings glitter in the shallow sunlight that shines down from above. My ears twitch around, as if there's little bugs flitting around the tips, though of course there aren't. They don't bother me so much. This sweet meat is off limits!

Something catches my eye in the same rays that light up my wings, and I look down in the crook of a tree. I move forward, one trembling leg at a time, my whole body shivering with curiosity, excitement, anticipation. What is it that I've found? It's round, and big, like the size of an ostrich egg. I look around, trying to figure out who the egg belongs to. There's no one, nothing. This egg is ABANDONED! Quickly I close the distance between myself and the pale, smooth shape. I lie down next to it, curling it up between my forelegs and covering it gently with an extended wing. "It's okay, little guy. I can take care of you!" My voice is eager and genuine, but I don't know the first thing about taking care of eggs. Or babies. Of any species. I'm a baby. I'm three months old. I don't know what to do with this except to love it. I could panic, run for help... but... I want to be able to say this is mine, and that I can perhaps be a big girl and help another creature. Even if it's a rocky road.

It starts to wiggle. And crack. Oh-em-gee, I broke it. I broke the egg - what will Breccan think? And mum, and papa? They will think me a horrible child, maybe even disown me! I can't stand the thought. I try to push the shell pieces back into place, but they keep cracking, pushing outward despite my attempts. Finally I give up, and tears start to form in the corners of my brilliant golden eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break you!" I sniffle and the tears stream down my face. But then... I see something inside the egg. Wiggling! It's alive.. something.... a little nose pokes through, and one of my tears drops on it. It yips at me. IT'S ALIVE! I try to peel away the shell delicately, and what I see is amazing. A little fox-like thing, a grayish blue, with golden eyes LIKE ME and a blue and white tipped tail.. little blue markings on his hindquarters. Its eyes are just barely peeked open. I stick my nose up to it and whisper as if it is so fragile my voice might overpower it: "I'm gonna call you.. Haruki!"

""

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca

When I had come to this land to gather the stone for the Dragon's Throat, I didn't really have the time to truly explore the area. I felt drawn back to get a better look, now that I had overcome the fears of actually being in there. It wasn't so bad when I really thought about it, the biggest hassle was all of my hair snagging on scraggly branches. The sound of an eager child echoed throughout the trees, immediately catching my attention. Who would let their child roam free in a land like this? I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of foals, but if I were ever to have my own, I certainly wouldn't let them wander out here on their own. When the filly came into view, my eyes widened as she was talking to an egg tucked between her legs. I couldn't help but chuckle as she tried to piece the giant egg back together, shaking my head with humor at the child's naive innocence. "It is not breaking child, it is hatching." I whispered calmly as I showed myself, minding my distance so I would not scare her.

When the egg did hatch, I was quite surprised by the fact that it wasn't even a bird. Scarlet eyes grew wide, lips parted with a soft gasp as a strange, fox-like creature broke free from the egg shell. I could feel my own egg, still bundled in the braids and tucked into my mane, brushing against the warmth of my neck. What if...What if my egg was not a bird either? As though it could read my thoughts, I felt the weight in the egg shift, whatever creature that was inside it rolling on in the inside. "I've never seen anything like it, you must be sure to take good care of it. It will depend on you now." When my gaze returned to the filly, the feeling of shock returned as my eyes settled on the gold marking under her eyes. Cautiously, uncomfortably, my auds flicked back against my hair and crown. This filly was one of the children of the Morningstar, and instantly I felt my stomach lurch. "You are the daughter of Bucephalus, aren't you?" I asked, not sure if the filly even knew what I was asking. Not many children her age actually knew their parents names, merely calling them "momma" or "daddy". I didn't recognize this child from the Throat, having never seen her around before, so I could only assume that the mother was the pink-winged mare I had seen yelling at Bucephalus at the boarders of the Throat.

OOC: @[Tempe]
[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

"Isa..."

The copper-coated giant hovered above his resting child, bristly whiskered lowered with lips tracing a delicate path from the small point of her painted hip towards the peak of young withers. Already threads of ivory were growing thick and long and they slumped idly as she slept, framing slumbering expression, and cloaking lithe neck like a warm, winter throw. Hector brushed with absolute tenderness the mane from her skin – it was nauseatingly hot, even with the pale glow of the moon upon them – and beneath the thin bubble of sweat glistened daintily.

"Isa..." Rumbling tone called a little louder, tenderly, trying to pull her from the cradle of dreams. He had promised another patrol, and while stars winked playfully in the arc of black heaven and the air was thick though still, they needed to set off for the forest in the north so that dawn’s kiss would bless them safe passage through the eerie, murky underworld. Her safety was paramount, and though the murderer - Gaucho - had been discovered (the wily puppeteer who had steered his crimes), Hector was wary about the world and sought to protect her at all costs.

Dry lips pressed into the steamy hue of her pelt, eager to rouse her now. When finally she woke, the stallion guided her through leafy undergrowth to find the one-winged foal, Zèklè, who had expressed interest in patrolling. Before they left however, all would be giving a chance to freshen by the lake, drink and prepare. He allowed them ten minutes - their journey would be long, uncomfortable if the sunlight beat their pace – and he indulged too in a little bath, swimming silently from the shallows to cleanse his dry, itchy skin. When he pulled his enormous body from the water’s cool embrace, the warrior moved to nuzzle the yearling's ears fondly, groom the parts of Isara that she could not herself reach.

It was important to present nicely - all things in honour of their Lord.

"We have a long journey ahead of us," he reminded them softly, soothingly, before stepping from the sodden embankment and setting off at an accommodating pace towards the new bridge that would carry the foals to the mainland. He had scouted the northern flank of desert earlier to warn the night patrol of their coming – without a key, he was dependent on their patience to allow Isara free movement from their home. As requested though, his colleague had waited and Hector offered a broad grin and lifted his wingspan elegantly in silent thanks.

Together they were carried by the Sun’s brilliant magic, and after touching down upon Helovia’s southernmost coast, the stallion led off towards Deep Forest.

The deep, chilling shadow of the forest engulfed them just as pale breath of dawn melted across the far, eastern horizon. Hector was proud of Isara (and to a degree too, Ampere’s brood) – both had weathered the journey well, but he had expected no less from his child. He paused beneath gnarled shade to let the youths rest.

"You are strong." he praised them heartily, a proud smile pulling at each corner of his rigid lips, and he began quickly after to explain the purpose of their patrol. "We are searching for anything that is unusual. Listen with your ears for conversation, and your nostrils for taste of any that linger – or have passed through. In this wilderness, you must not rely alone on your sight. It is deceiving, wicked..." Wary eyes lifted away from Isara’s lovely teal gaze to scan the undergrowth surrounding.

"Are you ready young Dragons? Together you are leading the way." There was no doubt in the stallion’s mind that the painted filly was ready for such responsibility and made no secret of his confidence. Both would need to work together, trust one another to ensure safe passahe ahead. Feathers smoothed casually against his sweaty flanks and he waited with a loose smile for them to lead the party forward.

(@[Zèklè]. @[Isara] has permission for moderate power-play, as do I from Evvy. If his mention of keys and guards is unacceptable I will change it – it just makes things faster! Up to the kids to find Tempe and Morrigan ^_^)

Isara Posts: 34
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1 hh :: 2 year [Birdsong] HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Evvers

It was windy here. My growing mane and tail - as thick, wavy, and long it was, - was being tugged and pulled every which direction by invisible hands. The wind felt nice against my skin, combating the hot sticky sweat that formed against my will. It was hot...almost unbearably hot.

Where was I?

The question lingered on the tip of my tongue as I began to look around and gather my surroundings. Cliff...cliff...cliff...and cliff. Fear partially gripped me as I realized that there was really nowhere to go besides down. How the hell did I get up here? How was I going to get down? I mean I know I jumped off the cliff back in the forest when Hector and I where catching animals to put on the boat, but this...this was a lot further down than that little thing. If I were to fall from from here I'd surely be injured at the very least if not killed.

Almost as if giving me a clue the wind gusted and tugged at my wings forcing them open. Maybe I could fall gently or glide to the bottom? Or maybe I could learn to fly on my own here? I took a step forward and peered over the edge. Anxiety clawed at my stomach like a beast that needed sustenance. A gulp traveled down my throat as I tested out my wings.

“You can do this Isa,” I nervously tell myself, “Hector can fly, almost everybody with wings can fly so you should be able to fly too.”

I backed myself up until my hooves had reached the edge behind me. Then I paused shortly to pray to the Sun to watch over me and keep me safe. And then I took off, leaping off the edge with my eyes closed and my wings spread.

'Isa...'

My ears barely caught the sound of my name being called upon the air as I leapt off the cliff and I knew it was his. Hector's. Instantaneously, I wanted to be back upon the cliff, but it was already too late.

I was...falling.

'Isa' He called out again. This time however his voice was louder and roused me from my slumber and saved me from my nightmare. I jolted awake with a tiny scream stuck in my throat. My heart raced and my breath quickened for a few minutes as I gathered my surroundings.

The Throat. That's where I was and Hector was standing next to me seemingly waiting to go somewhere. Another patrol perhaps? A deep breath was sucked in and then released as I calmed myself. Luckily, the heat of the night disguised the sweat that had built up from the nightmare I had dreamed.

Soon though he was guiding me through the brush and we found one of the colts and we went to the lake to wash up and quench our thirsts. I watched as Hector entered into the water and washed himself and I followed suit. My body splashed in the shallow depths of the waters and I'll admit it felt amazing to have the cool water wash away the dirt and grime that clung to me. Hector had finished long before I had and after he was done, he came over and helped me finish up. Afterwards, Hector spoke saying that we had a long journey and then we were off.

After some time, we arrived in the forest that we were in on that day that I had jumped off the cliff. And it reminded me of my nightmare. Silently, I followed as I pondered about my nightmare and at the same time trying to forget it. It was scary knowing that I could be trapped somewhere and not be able to escape. Even with my wings as large as they were, I wasn't yet able to fly whereas most my age already could. Oh the woes of knowing jack shit about life above the surface. But Hector was changing all of that. Someday soon I would know everything that I needed to know. I just wished that day would come sooner.

'You are strong,' Hector's voice brought my wandering mind back to reality. He had a smile on his face. And continued to speak saying stuff about how we are searching for anything unusual. How I needed to listen with my ears and smell with my nose rather than just use my sight.

I looked up to the sky as I heard a flock of geese flying overhead right at the end of his instruction. Flying. Everybody made it seem so simple, so elegant, so...fun. Hector's voice brought me back once again and I lowered my gaze to look at him. I was to lead the way? Teal gaze looked around the surrounding area and then closed my eyes. My ears twitched at every chirp of a bird, rustle of the leaves in the trees, a snap of a twig.

Left

Something was left of here. Instinctively, my legs began to carry me in that direction with Hector following close behind. Eventually I caught the scent of two others and...I guess it was a recent smell. I really wasn't all that sure. I began to follow the scents hoping that I wasn't going the wrong way, but luckily they seemed to become less....diluted I guess is the right word I think. Then I hear voices.

My splashed colored frame slowed as we drew nearer to the source of the scents and sounds. I wanted to be quiet. I wanted to have the upper hand in case these people were in any way bad. I wanted to impress Hector. Wings gathered tightly to my body and I pushed myself closer to the voices as quietly as possible so not to be detected.

There were three figures. One was younger and winged. Another was older and wingless. And the third...what the hell was that thing?! Teal eyes stared at the furry little thing that was blue and white in color. It had a tail, a head, two eyes, four legs and looked similar to the creatures that Hector and I had caught to put on the boat. But at the same time this thing was different...weirdly different.

If it wasn't for the creature and the wingless mare, I would have revealed myself and said hi. But because those two were there, I didn't. For one I didn't know if the wingless mare was good or bad. In fact, I didn't know really if any wingless were good yet. Though guessing by how Hector and Destry seemed to behave around some of them, I'd say some of them were probably not entirely bad. And second off, I had no clue what the hell the monstrous creature was. I didn't know if it was a danger or not. I didn't know if ate meat or not. Hell I didn't even know what to call it! Perhaps Hector would know though?

“Hector,” I begin to whisper just loud enough for him to hear, “What is that?” I motion with my head in the direction of the furry...thing hoping he would know. Who knows maybe he knew these people too?

"Isara's speech"|"Isara's thoughts"

WORD COUNT;; 1202
TAGGED;; @[Hector] @[Tempe] @[Morrigan]
OOC;; ladedadeda

Use of force and magic is allowed on Isara, as long as it does not result in permanent bodily harm or death. Otherwise just ask! Also tag in all posts if you so desire. 8D
Hector has permission to powerplay Isa.

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

I jump slightly when I hear a voice, shaking me from my single-minded reverie. I look up to see a mare, beautiful with a pretty thing on her head. She tries to reassure me that I haven't broken it, but the tears keep coming. When the egg hatches, she tells me she has never seen anything like it either. I am suspicious - is she new here or is this a new creature altogether? Am I the first one to get one of these?! I nuzzle Haruki, as I have christened him, and try awkwardly to get the baby goop off of him. I had baby goop on me too when I was born, but I didn't come from an egg. I came from a mom. HARUKI HAS NO MOM. I'll be his mom! The mare says much of the same, and I feel my heart thump loudly in my chest. That's a lot of responsibility, but I feel kinda good to be taking it on. If it means I get to keep Haruki then.. then.. that's perfect. I smile up at the stranger, and she asks about my papa.

I cock my head and my ears swivel, confused by her question and how she knows about papa. "Yes, he's my papa. And my mum is Arvakl." I slow down when I say her name, both of them are kinda tricky to say. I un-cock my head and smile. "Why, do you know them? I'm Tempe. Who are you?" So forward! I try to make up for it by returning my affections to Haruki. He looks up at me, his eyes opening and blinking slowly. He gives me a little foxy smile and licks my nose. I nearly jump with surprise. He's so CUTE. I want to keep him forever and ever and ever. I grab him by the scruff of his neck and lift him out of the remains of his eggshell. Plopping him between my legs once more, I snuggle him with my head.

My little crown pops up again and I peer into the darkness of the forest. Did I hear voices? Is someone there? IS SOMEONE GONNA TAKE MY HARUKI?! "Is someone there?" My voice comes out quiet, like a little squeak. I can't see anything, and I'm not sure if I heard a voice or not. Haruki cocks his little head, his electric blue eyes gazing in the direction of mine. He yips, and I snort in response at his noise. What a strange sound....

""
@[Morrigan] @[Hector] @[Isara]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.