the Rift

[OPEN] Two by Two

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

ADVENTURE TIME
with cheska & auriel

"Sweet Christmas on a cracker!" she spat in annoyance. "The varmint's too fast!" The raccoon took off across the narrowest part of the brook and into the protection of the gnarled roots of an old tree. Once he'd deemed his hole secure, he took to squawking and hissing at her as she stared at him from above. "You think you've won, don'tcha?" Her accent had slipped into a rustic slur, all nobility forgotten. "I'm gonna save your stupid life if'n it's the last thing I do! You hear me?!"

Noble team Cheska and Auriel didn't have the luxury of companions to snag their ticket to paradise, but between them they had a few tricks, a handful of stories and the determination of a raging bull. While she was fairly certain that Earth God wasn't going to drown them over one missed task, it had quickly become a matter of pride. That brainless rodent's life was now in their metaphorical hands and they were going to bring him to the safety and delight of an all-day-all-night raccoon repopulation party, whether he liked it or not.

Those raccoons were such rascally creatures, even in all her stories, they were-

Her stories. Of course, her stories. She turned to Auriel with a start. "You know, I know a story about something just like this," she said, a secret smile playing around the corners of her mouth. "It will pass the time while we spring our trap." She gestured to a small island in the deep part of the little river, where the current turned a bit rough. Momentarily, she was lugging their trap across. Then, sure their prey couldn't see them from his stronghold, she covered it with a few leaves and twigs on the near side. The water rushed just below her knees. Perfect. The trap was set. Now all she required was the perfect timing. She led them to the opposite bank, just behind the raccoon's fortress of solitude, and she began her tale.

"You know, Auriel, in some stories, Raccoon was considered the cleverest of all animals. He could outwit any other animal and escape any trap that was laid for him. The animals of the forest were all eager to show up Raccoon and make a fool of him so that they would be considered even cleverer than he.

"Wolf was the first to try. One day, while Raccoon was catching fish in the stream, Wolf approached him. A fish would be a tasty snack right now, said devious Wolf. If you share one with me, I won't eat you. Raccoon laughed, for he knew wolf could never catch him. He took his hard-caught fish and escaped down into his den beneath an oak tree. Wolf dug and dug, but he could not move the tree's mighty roots aside, and each time he tried to chomp down on Raccoon, the little thief retreated further into the hole. Finally, Wolf decided that he would suffocate Raccoon first, so that he could dig him out and eat him whole.

"Wolf spent hours filling in the hole, trying to bury Raccoon. By sundown, he was huffing and puffing and very hungry, but pleased that he'd have a nice meal when he dug out his sly prey. Of course, Raccoon was still the cleverest, and when he climbed out of the knot in the tree he had ascended, he dropped acorns onto Wolf's head from above. Defeated, Wolf gave up his attempt on Raccoon. This is why Wolf no longer hunts Raccoon.

"Days later, Skunk decided to make his move to claim the title of cleverest creature in the forest. Raccoon was bathing in the shallows, washing his hands and face when Skunk approached. Oh, Raccoon, Skunk said, If only you'd let me use my special smoke, you would no longer have such messy bands. You could be sleek and black as crow himself. Raccoon laughed, for he was not fool enough to fall for such tricks. Still, he agreed and pretended to hold still while Skunk opened his mouth. Now, in these days, Skunk's signature spray was located in his mouth, and he could fire with great accuracy wherever he pleased. But Skunk's first projectile missed when Raccoon submerged himself in the water, letting the scent pass away above him.

"Angry, Skunk opened his mouth for a second spray, but Raccoon tossed the great wad of river sludge he was holding, and it stopped up Skunk's mouth to the quick. He was so stopped up that from that day forward, the scent had to come out the other side. This is why Skunk must turn to use his spray.

"Even Fox got in on the act, and Fox was considered a very intelligent beast by the other animals. They gave her their blessings, and soon she was off to outwit her competition. Surely it will be enough, Fox thought, if I could trick Raccoon out of a good dinner, as I don't want to hurt him. Raccoon had caught himself a fat, juicy lizard that day, and he was preparing it for supper when Fox approached. I have a special recipe for lizard, said Fox, just let me take your catch to the water and I will make it for you. Raccoon, still undeceived, agreed, and let Fox take his meal. Of course, Fox immediately ran off with the lizard.

"As she found her way back into her den, she bit into the fresh meal, but she chomped down hard and hurt her teeth. Her tail bristled like a brush instantly. Raccoon had filled the lizard skin with rocks, and eaten all the meat inside. Fox cursed him, and sulked off to nurse her tail. This is why Fox has such a bushy tail.

"Finally, Coyote came to the forest to visit his friends. Wolf, Skunk and Fox all told him of their tragic tales and Coyote nodded in understanding. I will snare the Raccoon, he said to them, and you will not have to be embarrassed any more. So Coyote went to the river. He did not say a word to raccoon, but snuck up behind him and let out a mighty howl. Terrified, Raccoon ran straight across the river and onto a small island in the middle. But Raccoon had not had time to outsmart this foe, and he found on the opposite side of his island a raging river. Trapped, Raccoon surrendered to Coyote. Now, Coyote said, It is I who will be known as the cleverest animal in all the forest. And he was for a very long time after that."

Now the sun had sunk just a little lower and Cheska no longer heard the frantic motions of her would be prey. "So you see, Auriel, the moral of the story... the most important part of outsmarting your competition... is HAVING THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE!"

She reared up and her hooves landed squarely on the roots, snapping a few of the weaker ones outright. Startled from his complacency, the raccoon was off across the creek like a shot... and right into their trap. She gave a great heave of effort, relieved. "And that is how you catch a raccoon. Now the only question is where're we gonna find him a lady raccoon...?"

@[Auriel]; Ugh, sorry for the on-the-fly story. I usually edit them a lot more... ;_;

Öde Posts: 145
Aurora Basin Disciple atk: 5 | def: 10 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: 4.5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Blu

"Wow!" Öde exclaimed from the other side of the bank, his red eyes bright with youthful wonder and glee. He even let loose a small giggle, turning his head around to look at Vitani and see if she was as delighted as he was. "What a great story. he complimented of the strange mare and her partner, his smile wide and beaming; despite its honesty and generosity though, it still seemed a bit crocodilian. "An even better finale!"

"Still," Öde began, his tone suggesting he was searching for something though his eyes were fixated on the mare of the tales. He gently stepped into the water, wading through it with a slow, casual sort of purpose to get onto the same side as her. "I think you got the part about the wolf wrong," he leveled her with a heavy seriousness, the joy leaking from his features as he shed the water and strode up onto the bank.

"You see the wolf is very clever, and he only pretends not to hunt raccoon any more, if only to catch him at a later date. The wolf might have been tricked, but he does not forgive, he does not forget, and he does not rush his revenge."

Öde grinned, worms wriggling in his lips where he'd yanked them from the soil earlier. They were important creatures, eating up all the decaying flesh and churning the soil - much more worthy than a raccoon.

EVERYTHING THAT KILLS- ME MAKES ME FEEL ALIVE
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, including death - no decapitating.
Be aware active magic doesn't work in his vicinity due to his magic!

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
AURIEL
the good twin

With my pretty thistles safe on the boat, I felt like I had the entire world on my shoulders. Even with the little drive-by's involving my family, I felt like I had a purpose. Heck, me and Cheska were helping save the world. How many horses get to say that in their lifetime? Not many! We're apart of this grand scheme to save them all. I couldn't help but feel bad though, would the Earth God make sure the things the horses couldn't get made it onto the boat? Surely there were not enough teams to bring back every plant.

Yet again though, another task was at hand. This time, we get to go catch animals, how cool! A number of ideas run through my head. Butterflies can get themselves to the boat, and probably a number of bird. I bet Edgar is going to help my mom wrangle all his bird-y friends in. So what would me and Cheska catch?

She leads me to the Rotunda thing again, but we aren't here to save that. I wonder if it will survive the flood. Will the stones hold up or crack under pressure? Either way, the fishes would have a good home in there while the flood lasted! Running to keep up with her, I suddenly know what she's after. It was the stripy dark creature things I had seen at the Falls. I see them mostly at dusk, but sometimes I'll see them running about during the mornings.

Cheska tries her first attempt at a catch, and it gets away. I squeal, not quite sure what to do. She was right, because these things were really, really fast! I was completely stumped on how we were going to do this. Unlike my clever bucket and sap scheme, this one was too hard for my little brain. Turning my head, I look up at her expectantly. I don't even know where to start with all of this catching nonsense! Too bad my magic didn't just like slow-mo things down, then we could catch it. Here, my magic was useless considering the creatures would then be a lot faster than they were.

Cheska's smart though, and she already has an idea! I watch her grab materials, and prance behind to help get it to the island. Setting it down, I watch in amazement as she comes up with the cleverest idea! Smiling, I look up to Cheska, not only because I'm amazed, but now she has a story! No one told me a lot of stories, except for Cheska. I loved the way she told them, especially the one about the origins of the different species of horses. They not only were fun to listen to, but they also helped calm me down.

Following behind, we finally made it to the other side of the bank. Cheska promptly begins, I stare up at her wide eyed. I think the raccoon thing she mentions is what we are trying to catch. However, that quickly falls into the back of my mind because I'm entranced by all the drama. Apparently the raccoon was so clever, and actually made many animals change! How cool was that! Although, Mr. Coyote seems to know what's up. Leaning in even more, I listen intently.

Suddenly, the story ends as Mr. Coyote catches it. I smile, but at the same time am really sad. However, her ending is much more exciting than I had anticipated. Suddenly, she's rearing up and I squeal in excitement. We're gonna be like the Coyote! "Oh my goodness! You got him!" I exclaim, taking a step closer to look at it. He doesn't look happy, but i'm going to help him live! "Hey there little fella! Don't worry we'll take care of you! We'll get a little lady coon to follow us so you have a girlfriend!" Another guy approaches though, and I stop talking. He's kind of young, but older than me for sure. He seems to think that Cheska got the story wrong. I don't think she did, Cheska's always right. Scrunching my nose I peer around her to look at him better. That's when I see worms in his mouth. Well, I suppose thats one way to do it. Cringing, I can't help but laugh. It's so nasty its funny! "Be careful not to squish them." I call out. Im such a great advice giver.

[Woo! Auriel and Cheska! I loved the story! :D also apologizing for how weird this is. Writing mid-headache makes me think in weird ways. xD]

Image Credits
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily
Öde and I had listened to the story from over the bank. It had been long, but good none the less. We moved up and over just behind him, almost in his shadow. However if they wanted to catch raccoons.... Well Sarabi and I could help with that. Help find lady friend? Wordlessly she nodded... Then again, I think she probably can't speak just yet. I only know it's possible because I could hear Keiran before I was born. I guess I am the only other that will ever know that panther's voice.

Before long, I hear her before I see her. In a sing song tone I finally speak. Here comes his lady friend! Sarabi howled and the lady raccoon came running. She was doing a good job of chasing it down the bank. Wanna help her? I look at the pair. After all, they were the ones who needed a lady friend for thier animal... Öde already had ours taken care of. Sarabi snapped lightly at the raccoon's heels, trying to guide it where it needed to be. Hopefully the other two, one looked familiar from the Falls, would get thier act together and help her.

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

ADVENTURE TIME
with cheska & auriel

She watched as the little creature squirmed against his bonds, but she couldn't feel too badly. When given a task by a god (a real god!), one did not refuse. At least, she assumed one did not refuse. She'd never heard of it happening before, per say, but it also probably wouldn't make a very interesting story. Sun god asked Freya to bring him two golden apples. Freya said no and spent the rest of the afternoon napping. The end. In her stories, that would be the end, because the gods were, at their core, the best of their kind, the wisest and kindest. In her stories, the gods never punished omission, they punished wrongdoings. Otherwise, what was the point? If there was no denying a god, what free will did they really have? In her stories, there was purpose in everything and causes were just. She didn't want that fantasy broken. Not just yet.

She was quick to nudge Auriel in celebration of their victory. "Ah! We may just finish this challenge yet!" She hadn’t the foggiest clue what nebulous prize it was they were working toward, and so rather than fret over their possibly imminent deaths, she took to the tasks with as much enthusiasm as she could muster. It felt good to work as a team again, to share the weight. And Auriel was as good a partner as she could ever have asked for. In quiet moments, Cheska often found herself wondering about the family that had spawned the girl with the quick tongue and gentle disposition. The lack of answers left her wanting, and left a half written story missing important characters.

She only had the opportunity to indulge in her victory for a moment before she was interrupted by a little shadow colt she hadn't seen through the treeline. Ah, to be gifted with stealth. It was something Cheska could never master. It was hard enough just to walk without shaking the earth beneath her and giving away her position. She examined him for a long moment while he spoke, her lips fixed in a queer smirk. She was too old to be intimidated by the wolfish grin, but the worms therein left her ever so slightly perturbed.

"Well spoken, little shadow," she crooned cheerfully, instantly fond of the ominous tilt of his voice. "Perhaps you've a bit of storyteller in you. I'm Cheska," she said with a flourish of her knotted mane. "My friend here is Auriel. That was quick thinking, by the way... the worms, that is." She was rather disappointed that she hasn't thought of them first. She'd gone to so much trouble wrangling one stupid raccoon and he had a whole colony of worms wriggling on his tongue. And while their catch may have been fluffier, exterior beauty was of little matter in the animal kingdom. It was utility that reigned supreme. Oh, yes, well done. Who would eat all the garbage in our brave new world if not for mister raccoon here? She'd have been glad to rescue anything other than the ornery, disease-ridden coon, but alas, their paths were inextricably tied now. Better just to accept it as a win.

It was only once the hellhound moved that she noticed the second filly. Well, aren't we just the Pied Piper today? Wait. Want to help with wha-? From the brush burst a second raccoon, and the storied mare had little time to react and even less interest in catching the mangy animal in her mouth. Instead, she spooked a bit to her right and bristled as the creature's fur brushed her hind leg. Wasn't this what traps were for? She turned too slowly to see what became of the lady raccoon. Perhaps Cheska had slowed her enough to be caught by the hellhound. Perhaps she'd haul ass back to the ship all by herself.

Either way, Cheska decided she'd had enough of saving the world for one day.

@[Öde], feel free to continue or leave it here.

◊ please tag Cheska in all posts
◊ full permission is granted for minor powerplays including
touching, placement and superficial injury