the Rift

[OPEN] that dreadful bond

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

The boat ride was not a relaxing experience for the shadow mare. For all that the rooms were pretty and the atmosphere welcoming, she just didn't have the peace of mind to stop and admire the architecture of the ship, nor the lush insides. All her focus was on the horses that came and went through the bowels of the wooden structure, horses big and small, young and old in every pattern, shade and color imaginable. But despite her searching, despite her looking and hoping and pleading she caught no sight of her son, saw no flash of silver coat, back-swept horn nor silken wings, and by the time the storm abated and they were allowed to embark, Shadow's nerves were at their breaking point.

She hurried off the ship as soon as she could and stared at each and every horse that queued past into a fresh, vibrantly green world that was the same yet fundamentally different from before, blind the the splendor around her as she waited for him, and for them, the ones who had offered to help her search.

Upon spotting them the pegasus bared down on them, not angry so much as she was tense and worried but with such intensity about her that the taught expression and ruffled feathers could easily be mistaken as such.

"You!" she snapped at the leopard-spotted mare that had first offered aid, "Well? Did you see him, have you found him? Was he on the ship?"

Even as she asked Shadow looked around for Ampere, amulets of both sun and moon and earth clattering in her newly cleaned, groomed and braided mane for every swift turn. She needed to catch the blue-eyed troublemaker, had to drag every last detail about Kari from her if she wouldn't offer them voluntarily. They might be old friends and Shadow might be indebted to Ampere for saving her in the past, but all of that was void if it turned out that the firebrand was responsible for her sons... for Kari's...

No more responsible than myself though, who let him out of my sight in the first place, a small voice whispered in the back of her mind. Shadow shook her head as she kept snapping her attention between her targets.

Hope was a painful thing, guilt just as bad. But perhaps the most dreadful of feelings was that of love, the aching, burning curse that just wouldn't leave her alone no matter how much she told herself that she was foolish for still feeling.

@[Rei], @[Kvothe], @[Ampere], @[Bolverik]
image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

The gnawing worry of Shadow's sharp stare continued to wear on Ampere as she and her son sheltered in a room during the upheaval of the drowned land. In that time she frequently asked herself questions which she couldn't answer, chief among which was why hadn't she pursued the disappearance of the child? He had never showed up for their patrol, although she had purposefully tried to outfly the child, angry at being partnered with a foal of all things. When he hadn't come she'd assumed he'd stayed home, looked after by one of the more, motherly mares of the Throat.

She could have looked for him though. She patrolled often enough, and had never found him then, but hadn't been seeking him either. Of course he wasn't the first to abruptly leave, horses came and went of their own accord all the time, but at his age he deserved some looking after, especially given that Ampere had thought his mother to be dead following the infection of the land. It was chaotic times for everyone, she tried to reassure herself, but to no avail.

When the boat finally settled and she had seen her own son to a safe return home with friends, Ampere looked for Shadow, which wasn't hard. Her frantic voice was calling our brashly to Rei. Ampere hesitated, guilt drying her throat and churning her gut, but she wouldn't fail this same family again. Strengthening herself, the Mother of Companions (not foals, to be clear), strode towards the dark mare, a shadow of her past. "Any sign of him?" she asked, hopeful, but she already knew the answer just by looking at the mare, it was just a way to start them talking. After a pause, an with quiet tone, "Shadow, I'm sorry. Can I help?"
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

Her gaze was drawn to the blue eyed mare like a moth to flame, only this time Ampere was the fluttering bug, unable to resist the blaze of purple eyes, set deep within their sockets. Inky lips joined in a tense line as Shadow turned to her old friend, too many feelings raging through her to put words on them all. It probably wasn't this mare's fault that her son was missing, not the Mother's responsibility to keep track on someone else's child. Yet for all that she tried to be understanding, patient and forgiving, all the wraith could think of was how Ampere had been there, known Kari disappeared, and done absolutely nothing about it.

"No" she replied tonelessly, ears slanting backwards into the coarse mane; the single word was a scream of agony, a blow to the face, a silent plea for aid and the vicious teeth of a wounded wolf. You dare to ask? Haven't you done enough already?

"What could you do at this point, Ampere? Just tell me where and when you last saw him and I will keep looking. You have your own child to think about, do you not?" She threw a pointed glance around after the one-winged babe, every syllable biting and bitter. Hope you're better at taking care of your own blood than you are of safeguarding others.

She knew she was being unfair, cruel, unnecessarily judgmental. Shadow knew it, yet for all that she regretted it she couldn't curb the edge of her own tongue. The poison bled from her heart and stained the tongue in hues of black and red, honest joy for her once savior's happiness became spoiled by raging, vicious jealousy and anger as her own loss became all the more apparent - all the more painful. Because even as she exchanged words with good samaritans her love kept burning strong, stoking the fires of hope. Her eyes kept searching even when the head knew it was highly unlikely that her boy would show up at this point, that he likely was dead since long ago and she would probably never see him again.

@[Ampere]

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

The response came like a shot fired, the slug sinking heavily into the curvature of Ampere's heart. In response her ears fled, much like her legs wanted to do, finding respite in the shadows cast by her mane. It would have been enough then, to sag beneath the weight of Shadow's disappointment, to boil under the heated gaze of her purple wrath, to drift in the abyss of their lost friendship. Yet Shadow pursued the wounded animal that was Ampere, her words weapons which cast too many cuts to equal an eye for an eye. Backed into a corner of self-hatred and despair, Ampere's teeth grit together with determined defiance, her own anger rising inside like bile.

"I could help!" she shot back, feathers lifting like a dark wave upon her back, before resettling. "I saw him last but I am not the one responsible," came her words like a growl, the echo of them caught in the glowering stare of blue that Ampere returned. It came out faster than she realized, this retaliation born of guilt and stifled unhappiness, similar to the sharpness that honed Shadow's ire.

Catching herself Ampere quieted, apology flashing in the ocean of her gaze, a step taken away - a retreat. Why didn't I do more? she asked not for the first, and likely not the last time.

"We were patrolling in the Ancient Rotunda... though I never saw him once I left the Throat." Ampere began after a moment of silence, her words barely breaking the quiet. It wasn't much, what she gave... just an emptiness left by the forgotten child. She'd help look though, help find.

Find.

Ampere's eyes widened with recognition. Feathers bristled in her haste as Ampere abruptly grinned, her magic working on invisible strands of unseen electricity to unsheathe a dagger from its place at her back. Clumsy with the newfound tool she almost shot it out at the dark mare as she swung it around in front of her, but reigned in back in rapidly, its bony weight hovering before them. "This!" she exclaimed, incomprehensible in her excitement. "This can help us find him." Confidently Ampere reached out to her knife, her words like butterflies coating its jagged length. "Find, Kari," she bade of it, watching for its point to turn and lead them true.
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.