the Rift

Quiet Pleasures

Rowan Posts: 76
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: 3 Years 4 Months
Brit
Rowan

Thanks sooo much to RayoDeSoleil/Kanti for fixing my coding <3 I love you right now!

It was quiet. This was the first thing that actually registered within Rowan's thoughts as she slowly walked across the open land that smelled of faded souls, beings that had crossed this turf just as she was in that very moment. The stories held within the soil beneath her hooves were plentiful, some with a deep sadness and others with hope and joy. Though she could not determine where her story was leading her, Rowan did notice that one thing. It was quiet. Why it held such importance to her she couldn't fathom. Ever since she had sworn to keep her adopted mother's promise to find her own trail, or blaze it if she must, Rowan had decided to leave her quiet happiness behind. For truth be told, the chocolate mare with the dark cyan eyes was lonely. Feyther had made her promise to leave her, to escape and find a life worth living. Rowan sighed sadly, blue eyes darkening further with such morose thoughts. Feyther had been the one to take her in, the terrified filly with the skinned knees and wild eyes. She owed everything to the old gray mare, and she missed her fiercely. The wind tousled her flaxen mane, and she tossed her head gently to free her vision from its annoying interference. The land she was in was exquisitely beautiful, and she wanted to drown in every inch of it, so different from the near barren landscape from which she'd originated.

Rowan's steady walk slowed to a stop, velvet brown ears flicking above her cranium as she listened to the soft sounds that she was now registering. Sounds that had previously escaped her wandering attention. The wind through the grass, the leaves and their near soundless flight to the ground below. Snorting softly she gave a small smile and lifted her head as far as her short stature allowed, following the path of one of those dainty orange objects until it barely brushed her nose, smelling as earthy and old as the tree it had fallen from. Rather delighted with this new game, Rowan pranced around the solid trunk of the baring tree, leaping and lifting herself onto her hindquarters to puff her breath upon each sailing leaf. They jumped and quivered with every shift of wind, every exhalation she focused upon it. Her umber coat gleaming in the sunlight found between the growing gaps in the branches. It was a childish game, but one that took away the ache of loneliness sitting within her chest. Playing so lightly banished the weight, exact opposites in a battle she was determined to win. With a contented, soft laugh, she abandoned her game and stood quietly. Feeling as if she should wait. For whom she did not know, but was eager to discover. No longer could she pursue her lonely existence. There had to be another in these parts, and she would wait here until the tree had lost all of its children, hoping for another to find her standing alone under its branches.

Prometheus Posts: 75
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 8.2 / 16.3 :: 4 months / 6 years [Immortal] HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Pyr :: Siberian Tiger :: Hypnotize & Flaming Touch Adoptable

For the day I have taken the form of a full grown dutch warmblood that I faintly recognize as myself. The bruises you have received from my punishment earlier have forced you into a disappointing limp, and each bump of the chains against your ribs had led you to whimper ever so slightly. I've grown tired of your whining, and as such the chains melt off of you, burning fur away and sizzling as they hit the cold, Orangemoon earth. I walk with a firm and steady stride towards the Threshold where I once met Rishima and Mirage, the two cimmerian mares that now lead the charge against the World's Edge. I am not the sentimental type, but I find it curious now and then to visit the place I have been in my life of undeath, to recall what I was then, to understand how little I have changed. After all, the dead do little more than lie in their graves, than melt away into the earth and sea- for me to change would be a violation of the process of death itself. In and of myself I am an abomination, there is no need to further the condition.

Perhaps this is why I walk in my potential form on this crisp Orangemoon morning, when all seems still save for the falling of dead leaves from the trees. I am almost soundless in my walk, and you match my quiet for fear of what may happen if you slip and make a sound. Still you watch me like a hawk, taken in by the majesty of my appearance, ever hoping for me to turn and show affection. I cannot even look at you as you stalk behind me- I know that to face you would be to admit defeat to the foe that is love.

And so we walk together in utter silence, neither of us exchanging a look, neither of us saying a word. I tower above you and my sinewy muscles bulge with each movement and release with each exhalation. It is strange to be alive, I think. It is strange to look upon the world with shining eyes and see it from a different height, from the entirely different perspective of a mortal. I am weak and susceptible even while I am strong and dangerous- the contradiction sparks my curiosity.

But I do not have much time to dwell on my own ways before I spot company. Instantly I urge you forward and around the back of the mare so as not to scare her. She is small and unsuspecting, I shouldn't want you to try and make a meal out of her, no matter how appetizing she seems to the both of us. I make my way closer to her and eventually emerge from the shadow of the threshold forest. "Are you alone? Do you seek shelter?" I ask her, my voice clear and confident, my mannerisms not at all reflecting that of my true self. Why not play a little game today?

img © foter
[Image: siggy1_zpsfwdjquxw.png]
please tag Prometheus in all replies!
magic & force is permitted at your own peril.

Deceased
Brit
Please excuse the horribleness. I blame the iPod and the late time.

How long the dame stood there couldn't be measured. It was easy enough for her to remain still and complacent, merely taking in the beautiful scenery surrounding her. Watching how quickly and fluidly this world changed, drastically different from the rugged, violent discrepancies in the only world she knew. Such a strange world. Rowan watched the sky for quite some time, succumbing to her thoughts until she had bored, somehow, of herself. Of thoughts and questions she could not rightly answer, assuming the best she could through logic alone. Just as the though of laying among the grasses passed through her mind, she sensed the presence of another. It wasn't as soon as she would have liked, but he must have either intended that or had happened upon that angle by chance. A clear, concise voice soon broke the quiet.

Rowan turned upon her heels, ears alert and head slightly tilted in curiosity as she beheld the stranger. He was a rather handsome male, not that she could compare him to anybody. What drew her attention was his eyes. Or rather, those and what rested neatly at an angle to them. Taking in the spiraling object centered neatly where his forelock was to rest. Rather confused. Neither her mother nor Feyther had mention such a thing, and she had never beheld it herself. Feeling rude for staring she looked down to meet his eyes. Smiling a little and flicking an ear. "Yes, I am alone. I am seeking shelter, if it is to be offered. May I ask your name?" stepping closer, neck arching more as he was significantly taller than her. Unable to keep dark blue eyes from the spiraling object once again. Looking down as she felt rather embarrassed not knowing what it was. "Would you consider me to be rude if I inquired as to what you are...carrying? I have been naive to most others. I apologize if I have offended you...it is a rather magnificent sight." laughing awkwardly, feeling that she was babbling in her embarrassment and curiosity.

Stallion :: Unicorn :: 8.2 / 16.3 :: 4 months / 6 years [Immortal] HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE

She seems ever curious. I am not one to abide inquisitive natures, but the innocence about her takes me aback, and I find that I cannot respond with my normal gruff retort. Perhaps it is better that way anyhow- if I am to prove myself an asset to this herd, I must begin to treat outsiders with some semblance of respect. She asks my name before offering her and I clench my teeth to hold in the instinct to bite back a violent reply. Hunger drives me wild, and I become aware of the fact that this body has not eaten for days. Perhaps after this you and I shall go on a hunt. Would you like that, Pyr? I sense your pleasure, I draw close to changing my mind. There are other things to consider, such as the mare's constant questioning. She wishes to know my name, who am I to turn away from the curious social interaction? Besides, it is somewhat intriguing to me. "Prometheus- and you, mare?" I answer curtly, feeling strange about speaking my name when I have not uttered it for seasons. I do not introduce you, you are simply inconsequential and she does not see you. With a whip of my tail I draw you out of the shadow so that you may rest behind me, sitting comfortably as I allowed you to heal, looking for all the world like a loyal companion. I make no mention of you, why should I? You are nothing to me, I must force myself to believe this. It is, after all, easier to preach what has been practiced.

"The Tuuli of the Dragon's Throat would welcome you among our ranks, should you desire a home," I reply cooly, my eyes seeming to emanate a light smoke as I look at her and take her in. She seems to be staring back at me, but not quite in the eye. Is it my horn that captures her attention? I lift my head and brandish the splendid weapon, letting my long, silken hairs fall in sheets upon my arched neck. My forelock curls naturally around my fully formed, functioning ears and covers my poll, which is in turn covered in flesh. It will take some time for me to understand what it is to be alive.

She asks what I am carrying, and I wonder for a moment if she speaks of you. No, who would ever consider you worth speaking on? I trace her gaze and realize that she must be speaking of my horn- how strange it is that she has never seen a unicorn. "The blade I carry is a part of me, as is the metal of this earth and the breath in my lungs," I answer cryptically, not feeling the need to explain it any further. "If you follow, you will see other creatures unlike yourself. Nothing in life is ever the same. The pegasi and unicorns of this land will become commonplace to you; death a friend, life a passing fancy," I continue on, my tone wistful, my voice growing to a mere whisper. My gaze turns away from her and while yours does just the opposite. You sit beside me with your faintly colored coat and reddening eyes, looking towards the mare kindly. Whatever hunger may have forced you upon her is quelled by the understanding we have. She is not to be our next meal.

Suddenly I snap my gaze and attention out of the vague line between the realms and back towards the unnamed young mare. "Do you still wish to follow?" I question, standing firmly on cleft hooves and waiting for her response. Should she say yes, I will lead her home. Should she say otherwise... well. Who knew what would happen then.

img © foter

Deceased
Brit
He remains quiet for a long moment, eyes never straying from where they had first settled. His gaze was a little unnerving, but Rowan didn't mind. Finally he speaks, terse and firm. It's a unique name, and Rowan smiles once she has heard it. Before she can reply she loses he focus, watching as another smaller figure appears from the trees to stand beside Prometheus. He does not mention or acknowledge the animal beside him, confusing the slight mare. Figuring he didn't want her to acknowledge it, as he already seemed unnerved by her questioning. "My name is Rowan," bowing her head in acknowledgement to the trading of titles.

Even if Rowan had wanted to inquire about the animal standing by his side, she wouldn't have had the time. Answering her previous words, he spoke of a home. Rowan smiled, shifting excitedly. "I would be honored, to be allowed within its ranks. Thank you." Unable to keep the eager brilliant smile off her features. Tail swishing happily, brushing against her legs. He seemed almost surprise by the fact that Rowan could not conceive what rested upon his head. As he explained, Rowan found herself even more confused than she previously had been. What had been answered was that it had been a natural procession. The promise of even further mysteries of the body should she follow him both intrigued and frightened here. Every emotion was clear and easy to read in her eyes, as she had never learned how to hide her emotions. Ears flickering nervously. He looks away, and yet she feels the unmistakeable feeling of eyes on her. She lowers her head, cyan eyes meeting reddish brown as the smaller creature beheld her kindly. She giggled softly and flicked her ears in a silent hello, breathing out in a soft snort. Rowan's attention shifts from the animal with the kind eyes to Prometheus once again, and though she is still a little nervous she smiles decisively. "Yes, I will follow you wherever you shall lead me." Ready to follow the strange male and his companion if they should lead her to a new home.

[OOC ADMIN NOTE: Your table has been removed because it was altering board code.]

She seems scared, and at once I feel more at ease with the situation. This social interaction is what I am used to- one in which I hold the ace. When I am the threat I am in control, I am a god. But a closer look reveals that it is not I that she is scared of- in fact, I find myself irritated by the fact that I cannot determine what makes her nervous. She says she will follow me and I know I should turn to lead her, but my mind is elsewhere. Is this what it is like to be alive, to somehow be vulnerable at any moment simply as the result of another's emotions? I wonder how much I have hurt you, suddenly. I torture you for your love for me and mine for you- have I ever considered what the pain must feel like?

All at once, I feel a monster. I want to leave and be alone, perhaps even without your company; but I know of my duty to lead you and this mare home- you to a healer, her to acceptance. I nod callously, emotion leaving my face as it appears drawn and tired. "Very well," I speak softly, not waiting for more than a moment before turning away from her and heading back in the direction of the Dragon's Throat. From the earth I seek out metal and flecks of ore, for sheer desire for the comfort of the smooth, liquid metal. It melts and bubbles at my feet, still somehow retaining its natural color. A trail of mercury stains the earth silver in my wake, leaving a trail for any who wish to follow- Rowan or otherwise. I must take her to Kri, I think. She cannot be a part of the view by my word alone, it will take more than that, I remind myself.

I don't turn or look back to see if she is following me- I quickly find that I don't much care. Besides, even if I did, she will follow, I am sure of that. She is in a new land, lost and unsure. The first creature that has shown her any sort of kindness, regardless of its inveritable nature, will be the one she follows. Until she finds the emotion elsewhere, she will be his shadow.

[[So now the two of them have to go to the Dragon's Throat territory to meet Kri, who can actually do the accepting- would you like to make the thread, since it would have been your turn to post next anyway?]]

img © foter