[OPEN] Remember When [Midas]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

"Midas?"

The question came unbidden from dark lips as the horned stag stood at the borders of the Hidden Falls, always respectful to the limitations that other herds had in place. It had been the first time in longer than a year that the stallion had made the voyage to the land that had once been the Foothills, the land that he had once served as both Earth Medic and Chief.

For a long time he had avoided it simply because of what it had been; his home, his kingdom. The feeling of failure, of letting down his family and those that he had loved had been a hard, bitter pill to swallow... But in the end, none of it mattered. His feelings of guilt and uncertainty had ben soothed away like a relieving balm from Lakota, Ktulu, and even Midas, his dearest brother. None of it had been his fault, and no one held any ill-will towards him because of it.

It was his winged brother who Apollo had ventured to see now, for it had been far too long since they had last spoken.

Upon his back, Zola 'stared' across the unfamiliar land, her vision void save what she could see through Apollo's own eyes. Her curiosity and uncertainty was a very real, palpable thing, and through their tender bond the Merciful stallion did his best to reassure the young feline. This was not the Edge, nor the floating isle in the sky that no longer existed, but a land completely new and strange, yet clearly important to the overo.

"Peace, my ball of earth," Apollo murmured softly, lips barely moving as honey-brown oculars remained upon the landscape that his brother reigned over, "We're welcome here..." Midas had told him as such, many, many moons ago. "This land used to be the Foothills, but now it's the Falls. My dearest brother and ally rules these lands benevolently; you'll like him."

All they had to do now was wait.

ooc: @[Midas]

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
Despite troubles that seemed to occur daily...Rifts that grew between fickle hearts.

My own soul felt at peace, content, more so than ever before; despite the anger that swirled in other lands. It could be hailed from the spell of this place, Earth's calming presence, ever embracing. Offering grace in the wake of tragedy, mercy as the hordes still scream for blood, and wisdom as our hearts strayed from his path.

I stood at the stern of our land, posed toward the main entrance uptop my southern vantage point - overlooking the valley, its timber and shadows. The strong slope. Those yearning, gangly branches stretching their leaves for nourishment. Perhaps my reservations had all been in vain...perhaps my soul didn't belong in the dry, stagnant air of Dragons Throat. Their sand and salt, honed this child who'd stepped into a position of manhood way before he felt ready.

Now I stood.

My words weighted, seemingly measured for their slightest hitch or falter. Mishaps. The world was watching, waiting for me to falter...I glanced back, at the water and distant hills, those slopping fields and tall, tropical life that seemed to stretch on forever. Below, hidden from easy view was my light, a savior in many right. She saved me day by day. Africa offered a second chance. Redemption. A mercy I felt unworthy of.

_____

A voice, a familiar name.

Neve's sharp ears hear it. She lifts her crown, chortling, the maturing ring of her voice is welcomed to an adolescent cry that usually flies instead. She flies down to the painted man below and alights upon an overhanging vine. Her weight (though slight) sways the thin rope. She curiously looks to the miniscule feline upon his spine.

______

I heard her musing through our bond, felt the pull in the connection we shared. This body draws me closer to the brim, eyes peering to catch sight of an unexpected (though welcomed) individual. "Apollo..." the word slides from my lips like a prayer. I glide down to him, hardly pausing to land properly before limbs are shuffling to him, muzzle outstretched in offering. "Embrace as brother; yar, how I've messed ye." I attempt to slide my crown around him, draw our bodies together as true kin would.
image credit

Word count: 383
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

It is not long until his voice draws the attention of a soul who surely called the Hidden Falls their home, but who it was, Apollo wasn't expecting. A garbled sound, chortling and uneven in tone causes smooth ears to snap forward, and the horned stag spotted a winged shape that he didn't recognize flit through the air and settle upon an overhanging vine in the thick canopy of treetops. Honey-brown oculars eye the bluish-white beauty with a look of awe... What was it? Who was it?

It reminded him of Fina, except... Except it was no flame-dancing phoenix, but a frigid, arctic bird. How odd. Upon his spine, Zola's head tilted and a curious 'mew' left her tiny maw.

"Hello there, beautiful sky-dancer," Apollo murmured softly, a smile upturning his lips as his eyes focused on the mythical avarian settled upon the vine overhead, "Do you know Midas?" Of course the companion surely wouldn't understand, but even then his question is answered with time.

Above him, the Gallant glides to the earth with far more grace, dignity, and poise than the Merciful land-bound stag could even hope to achieve. Spotting his winged brother, the stallion's grin broadens from sheer delight. Midas... "Oh, brother," Apollo responded, joy and jubilation causing his extremities to shiver and quake with excitement. Midas wastes no time in advancing, in welcoming him into his home and an embrace and Apollo nearly melts as he stretches his muzzle out to brush it fondly against the Gallant's own. "I've missed you too, Midas. Far more than words can hope to describe."

It was with those words that the crystalline horned overo moved closer and wrapped his neck about Midas' own, eyes falling closed as he simply breathed in his brother's scent. It hadn't been as long as their last period without seeing one another, but it had still been grueling and lonely without him.

After the passage of a few seconds, Apollo stepped back, his head lowering and a shy smile crossed his lips. Upon his back, Zola mewed again with curiosity, her vision only capable through Apollo's own gaze. Who was this winged stallion who so readily warmed her bonded's heart? "Oh, Midas... So much has happened since we last saw one another. Do you remember the egg Father Earth bestowed upon me?" Here, the monochromatic overo turned his neck and brushed his muzzle against the velvety soft fur of the feline-runt upon his back. "This is Zola; she's what was inside." The black, growing kitten seemed to puff up with pride at being the center of attention, tail flicking to and fro where it was wrapped before her dainty paws.

It was the simple excitement and need to catch up and speak with his family that spurred him to continue. "How are you? And the Falls?"

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
There is little use for awkwardness or reservation as our whiskered noses and cheeks melt into the other; a heartbeat later our flexing necks cross. I unflinchingly bury my chin into the swath of his locks, pressing firmly against the yielding flesh to feel the warm throb of Apollo's gentle heart. My own swells with undiluted affection for the Overo stag. Love. A dangerous trait. His scent is overpowering, familiar, and richly rewarding. Tis an essence that spurs to life sudden childhood memories of golden winter wheat forced to dance at the whip of the endless southern breeze; youthful laughter and a soft song coming from the lips of a Ma who whispers lovingly to her painted boy.

He is the taste of rain and fresh soil.

Earth.

Withdrawing, I take a step back and meet that sly beam with a boyish grin. Sensitive ears flick forward when a soft sound tickles them curiously; my gaze flicks to his spine and catches a glimpse of silken fur and what appears to be a tiny feline of sorts. Tis not the muddy brown or grey cats that live alongside us in the forests and mountains -- but a miniature version, wrapped in a velvet coat of ebony. A set of sightless orbs per back at me, though as my head inclines they seem able to follow the motion as if seeing flesh instead of darkness.

Apollo answers my inner musings before I'd found need to give them voice. The egg? Ah, corners twist into a brighter smile, whimsical and curious. This little mammal came from such a thing? "Curious," I murmur softly, awed that an egg could create something obviously meant to be birthed through a womb. Yar, but there are far greater mystery's in this world, "Hail, young Zola."

"She is without sight?"

______

His next statement/question is expected, yet it still gives me pause. I wonder where to even begin. My gaze drifts to the prying arctica child above us. She whistles, a bright smile appeared when our eyes met. "Yon child is mine, Neve. Found during the last Frostfall." Darkening pools slide back to my brother, "Fina is on a hunt."

"Come," I motion toward the pathway leading up into our mountains, "Walk with me and we will palaver...there is much to say." Again my mind wondered, where to even begin?

These lips spun their tales. Of how Seele passed from this world; gone mad and shred apart by evil spirits that I'd failed to halt. My voice quivered toward the end and was quickly pressed to other topics... Such as Africa appearing on my doorstep, malnourished, one hoof in the grave. I spoke of our alliance with Dragons Throat and Guacho. How the Edge had received us kindly and would hopefully become cherished friends if not allies. Briefly, I mentioned Hototo, how his death and that of others had shook the whole of Helovia. The Moon Goddess...yar and how a fever took me as I listened to their cries for blood.

Lastly, I told him more of Africa; of our time together and apart -- how affections and passion bore a result. "I am to be a father once more..." My tone is uncharacteristly thick, weighted and vulnerable. The news had been broken with joy; yar, but when such pure emotion does labor for hold...so to did it cause pain in the form of doubt, fear. "I've failed them," by them, my meaning was directed to Hototo, Cera and Ranjiri. Children who would forever plague my thoughts and dreams.
image credit

Word count: 598

Upon his back, the black feline made a grand display of digging her paws into the horned stallion's back for purchase, tiny, pin-prick claws digging into skin beneath hide so she wouldn't fall, and with a great show that had Apollo's eyes rolling, Zola reached out with front paws forward, back arching and tail flicking left and right in an over exaggerated stretch. She loved to be the center of attention... Which was partially Apollo's fault, for after her premature birth he had doted upon her every whim.

"Mm-hmm," the Merciful stallion hummed in response to Midas' question, honey-brown eyes focusing back upon his winged brother, "She was born prematurely from her egg, and I fear that had something to do with it... But other than that, she's healthy." Apollo didn't go on to speak his inner musings, of how he was certain that Zola used his own very eyes to see the world around them. Such thoughts and inner dwellings could wait until later, until after they had caught up.

The arctic bird above whistles a pretty tune and Apollo's ears snap forward once more, his gaze drifting towards the pale creature questioningly, but before a word could escape his lips, Midas was answering him. Neve... So, this beautiful creature was a second companion of his brothers? "Interesting," the stallion mused aloud, head tilting, "I wasn't aware one could bond with more than one soul." He wondered what it felt like, to have not one, but two souls so intimately bound with one's own.

Turning his head and nudging Zola to settle back down upon his spine, lest she fall, the overo followed after Midas as they ventured further into the depths of the Hidden Falls. His eyes soaked in their surroundings, taking in the beauty of the place, and even though it wasn't the Foothills... His heart still beat a touch faster to realize that he was walking upon the earth that he had once served as Chief. None could protect this land as well as Midas could... But soon, his vision drifted back to the golden form of his brother, and his expression began to droop as Midas informed him of the changes and events that had occurred.

Seele... The name was familiar, achingly so, but Apollo could not place a face to the name. They had never met... Yet from Midas' words, he could tell that the Gallant had cared for her a great deal. Silently Apollo whispered a prayer in his mind for her. Africa... Africa. Had they met? He couldn't remember, but once more, the name was familiar.

To hear that the Falls was on good standing with the Dragon's Throat and the World's Edge caused the painted stag to smile broadly. "Good." He said simply, because it was good. Even if the Edge wouldn't ally with the Falls, Apollo himself had long-ago sworn himself to Midas' beck and call... Just as he knew Midas, himself, would come if Apollo called upon him. 'Twas the unspoken kinship of their relationship.

So much had happened, and Apollo was rapt to listen. Death, namely of Hototo Ktulu's son, had the stag recalling the events of the World's Edge herd meeting, and how the dark lady had been so terribly subdued. His heart ached in sudden realization; she had lost her son... Yet, fever and illness had plagued Midas... How could one man handle so much? So much pain? So much weight? So much duty, and still be himself? A soft, sympathetic look crossed Apollo's boyish face, but such a look gave way to a shell-shocked expression at Midas' final admission; he was to be a father.

A father! The realization caused the monochromatic to wriggle.

"Oh, joy of joys!" Apollo cried, haunches bracing as he reared up a few inches in a small display of excitement, careful not to knock Zola from his withers, "Oh, congratulations, brother-mine." Yet Midas did not seem to share his excitement, and for one foolish moment Apollo feared he had acted an imbecile... Failed them? Who? How?

"Midas." The Merciful murmured softly, head drooping yet honey-brown eyes staring solemnly at his winged brother beneath dark lashes. "No... Gods, no. I... Do not understand the responsibilities nor concerns one feels upon siring children. I've never had offspring... But this land is far more to blame than the souls who walk the soil. We are but mortals. We can only make do with what we are given, and... This land can be so terribly cruel, yet it can be the richest of blessings. Surely you've failed no one..." Even though Apollo didn't understand the paternal thoughts and emotions when it came to children, he did understand failure.

He understood the all-consuming guilt of letting those he loved down. He understood past-transgressions. He understood... But how could he make Midas understand? Perhaps he never could... But Apollo would swear, has swore, to stay by Midas' side no matter the outcome.

Tentatively he went on, dark lips forming words carefully with a pinched, cautious expression. "Are... Are you excited? To father a child?"

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
We strived and did the best we could, aye. Although it seemed our most well meant efforts are equal to that of mud...

The weight of leadership was ever constant, but its pressure was mild compared to the aching of recent grief that was hardly a season old. My heart was troubled and sought counsel out of a valent need to correct the missteps. Apollo looked to me, gently and with wisdom falling from his lips. I listened earnestly, not interrupting. His words are truth, indeed, this land was tainted; yet, we were all held for our actions. Or at least...some of us were.

"Morals are fickle, their hearts sway with each breath of wind," my muzzle rises to the cliffs, "What is cherished and praised one moment -- is often forgotten or cast out in the next." The painted fellow then asks if I'm happy to father a babe. I think of Ranjiri and in response these lips tighten, pursing as my mind muses, 'Did I appear so unhappy that the subject of children would be greeted with something less than utter joy?' Yar, it must be so, for here he is looking to me for an answer.

"Aye," vocals lower to a soft hum, "I've pondered, in quiet moments about the idea of another child." The lines around my eyes soften, making me seem younger than the aged warrior who stood before his brother, "Aye, I'm glad of it." Was it selfish to want a second chance? Africa offered it. Willingly she stayed close. Our relationship thickened like the canopy of timber as it matured.

"There is other things I would hear thee counsel on." Our subject was fixing to take a rapid turn; anticipating, the tone of my voice darkens considerably, "Basin's spies have been seen in our mist...they attempt to steal from us. How shall I deal with them?" By now we'd passed beneath the awning waterfall tunnel and slipped down into the lower valley via a curvy path. Neve soars overhead, watching, though thankfully not interrupting our discussion.

image credit

Word count: 340