the Rift

[OPEN] Heaven and Earth

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Infrequently along the way, the Starry-Eyed turned her focus from the path winding towards the Falls back upon Tilney, to grin, laugh or emphasise a point – but it never did occur to her that there was something unusual about the manner of his travel through the night (the way his attention seemed mostly to revolve around the flames dancing to either end of her body). She accepted him without question – even the curious items rattling between prongs of his headdress...

“That,” she mentioned abruptly, pausing to turn and direct pumping nostrils towards his unusual adornment. Africa had seen many around Helovia with jewellery, armour and the like (feathers were trending recently in fact), but never anything like that which her company carried. “What is it?” It was a question asked innocently with a light note to her gentle voice; even if it had interrupted a story about the Sanctuary and the pool within blessed by the God of the Earth.

She waited with baited interest, keenly, long enough for any explanation he fancied giving, and then turned again to continue in silence – there was not much further to go. A short time later, the steady roar of the largest of the region’s waterfalls, descended upon swivelling ears and she glanced by Tilney to find his reaction (she thrived on other’s experiences) and an expectant smile curled her lips quickly.

“Can you hear it?” she whispered, excitement leaking through her voice. “That’s the sound of home – father Earth calling to us!”

Her pace quickened then, long white-stockinged forelegs pulling her forward into a brisk, swinging trot, eyes peeled and peering through the veil of night to find evidence of the marvel she knew awaited them. The drone grew steadily louder, and as she led the other closer, the air grew moist as spray from the tumbling water strayed from its bed; playful water sprites (she mused sometimes), sent to entice.

Image Credits

@[Tilney] & any one else ^_^ (edited to take out plurals -facepalm-)

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

. . . T i l n e y

With each footfall of his companions coal stones Tilney could feel his heart swell more and more in his chest with joyous anticipation. Ever so slightly nervous, but with each word Africa scripted to him it fell away. She described such a beautiful, magical place. The stories she told him were enchanting and he had never heard anything like it. Tilney wondered if this was just a beautiful dream that soon he would wake up from; he would still be lost, still without company or a home.
Every now and then the stag would nicker a soft "really!" or "That is incredible" in response to Africas chatter. He asked many questions, but was yet to notice the creature gliding above and beyond them (Africas Zephyr).

The gods couldn't of picked a better creature for Tilney to encounter on this starry night. The yellow-eyed mares magnificent flames cured his disability, or at least while he was in their presence. She may not discover his secret as easily as others might and t was a much welcomed relief to be able to see the path before his marble hooves. Not have to stumble his way around. He stayed at a welcome distance, knees stepping by her hocks.
He was listening intently to her story when her socked legs stopped, and she had turned to eye his boney horns. "Those," she had asked. "what are they?".

What on earth would he tell her? If there was one thing Tilney was miserably bad at, or hated doing more then anything in the world it was lying. He hated the guilt, and the suspense and tension that came with waiting to be ratted out.
Or you could just tell her the truth He thought. And then what, be ridiculed as a blind, incapable little colt by every creature in Hidden Falls? Thats a little dramatic he almost said aloud to himself.

"Well, It used to be a light" He spoke to his companion, his brain still ticking for a lie before he mumbled out the truth. "My mother was magic like you; she could create fire. She would light this lantern every night..." Viridescent eyes glanced up to the mahogany structure risen from his poll and the beaten, battered old glass lantern that swung from them. One or two of the glass panes had cracked, and one had totally smashed with shards missing here and there. "It helped me sleep". Guilt flooded the stallion at once; He hadn't even got to Hidden Falls yet and he was already telling fibs and lies to his companion.

Africa stepped on and Tilney eagerly followed, but this time they were silent. He fought the urge to make conversation as hard as it was to resist; He was a chatterbox by nature. It was not long before the soft, hushing hum of a waterfall filled his ears. His companion turned her gaze to his, her expression nothing short of revelous.

What Africa whispered to him drew his attention to the rumbles of the earth not far from their current stance in the timber. "father earth?" he muttered to himself, shortly before noticing that his new friend had taken off. With a soft, excited snort he chased after her flames. His cloven hoof clumsily whacked into a large stone but he didn't have time to stop and nurse his pulsing foot. He rushed after the ashy mare until they were close to the whispering waterfall, close enough to feel its welcoming sprays.

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi

I always thought paws would be much easier to travel on than the flat, heavy ended hoof. So nimble and quiet, paws could catch their prey in a flash and kill it in the same moment. It seemed ever so convenient. Though watching the pup in front of me was throwing questions into my mind about the advantages of paws. Especially ones that seemed all too big for his little body. He fumbled around, pouncing this way and that, chasing birds and rolling around in summer’s green grass. I thought perhaps I could make a hunter out of him, an extension of my own shadow, but he’s young mind strayed all too fast and I found my own lacked on patience. My days were turning into watching him pounce around in a world of his own, a world all sparkling new to him and a world he was disrupting, in my opinion. I used to leave a peaceful life. Oh, how quickly those times were turning to memory in the wake of Tallsun’s youth. I could only pray that this little sprite would calm as the seasons changed and finally my chance would come to drill some lessons into him. I named him after something quiet and unseen in hopes that he would take after it and now, I question my logic.

I wander the Falls whilst he charges around, doing my best to patrol through his racket and ignore his baby attempts at catching things. I always liked the silent night… What have I done to deserve this? The odd grumble incoherently slips from my mouth as I continue on my walk and I’m not dragged from my self-pity until I spot movement by the side of a crashing cascade.

The one with the flicker of fire and the absence of wing I recognized as Africa, the new Earth Medic. I had not had much chance to converse with her, but Midas seemed to know her quite well. Seele used to watch over healers when she reigned, but I am not sure I have enough knowledge or interest to effectively pick out a good medic. Not that I don’t merit the role, a herd with no healer was a fast sinking ship, but my wisdom in this art was rather lacking, to say the least. Perhaps I should stop being so ignorant and learn a thing or two, but for now I am much more interested in the fellow she brings alongside her. He was an antlered stallion that I have not seen cross my borders before; who was he? A new one for the ranks?

I stand in a clearing under the night sky, ruffling my wings in an attempt to attract their attention before calling out over the crashing water. My higher tones reaching out in a curious, but none urgent call. The pup skids to a halt beside me, with ears that seemed too large for his head and a face that looked too mischievous for my quiet taste.

Ghost
All your life I'll tease, I'll torment
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte