the Rift

[OPEN] We come in peace!

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

Two children taking on the world, that's what we're doing! Haruki rides on my back, little claws clinging to my pale hide. I don't mind, though - I know he has to hold on somehow and we make better progress if he rides on top. Besides, I can fly! And though I think he is amazing with those golden eyes and his tails, he cannot fly. So, I will take us both. "Haruki, I'm on a mission." I tilt my head back and speak to him as we fly north. I'm not too high in the air, not wanting to risk dropping Haruki since he's just a baby. And I'm just a youngster, too. Plus, fly too high and the air gets cold, even in the summer when the sun is there to make you warm. But flying is faster, and Haruki is happy to have the free ride. "I want to visit all the herd lands." I don't know very much about Helovian politics, but I gather that they exist. At some point I may not be able to visit all the herds. I don't want to disrupt anything or cause a stir, so why not try to avoid all that by visiting before I am tangled up in bureaucracies and monarchies. Haruki chirrups on my back, but his cheerful and enthusiastic response is nearly lost on the breeze that we create.

What I don't tell him is where we're headed. I've been to the Frostbreath Steppe and the Arch, but not to the snowy land to the west. I guess that it is a herd - the Basin, I've heard of? It's only a guess, but I'm fairly certain that's what it is. As I get closer, the air grows a little colder, and I get colder, too. And tired. I land on the ground and walk toward what appears to be the opening. Haruki bounces on my back, getting excited. Now that I'm on the ground, the weather is quite pleasant. My ears twitch forward as I look up something crazy. Massive horse-shaped beasts guard the entrance. Watchful sentinels, guarding what must be the only entrance to the herd land. "Wow." That's all I can say. Haruki climbs up the treacherous path of my neck, using my braids for stability, and sits between my ears on my forelock. We both look up at the ginormous guardians. A gut feeling tells me that maybe I should wait for someone to notice me here, and not try to move past them. What if I get zapped with laser eyes or something? I don't want to be turned into roast pegasus for someone's TV dinner. That would be not so good, methinks. Haruki cowers against my skull. "Don't worry, we'll wait for someone."

""
Invitations: @[Erebos], @[Aviya], @[Thranduil], and/or anyone else! Posting order is lie according to moi
Purpose: Tempe wants to visit the herds and make friends, because she doesn't really believe in politics. ^_^ So anyone can visit but I do want someone to say hi :P

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Saffron Posts: 61
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Other :: 46" :: 2 HP: 58.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lauren

Saffron
you exist in TIME, but belong to ETERNITY

On this beautiful Tallsun day, I can't help but enjoy a walk to stretch my legs. Sure, cats spend much time sleeping and at some point I'll enjoy a nap in the summer sun, but there's energy bubbling up underneath my hide and I need an outlet. My walk takes me along the borders of the Basin, along the mountains. I mark as I go, figuring that the equines won't care as much as other predators. I've been walking through the trees, minding the uneven ground that comes with being at the foot of the mountains. I come out into the sunlight, and stretch, letting my muscles loosen and relax.

Now my path takes me past the Sentinels - fearsome guardians of the Basin, though not so fearsome as some of its residents. Of course I mean myself, but there are rumors and reputations that get around regarding some of the other residents as well. I peak through the entrance as I pass by, glancing at them with subtle appreciation. But what catches my eye is the sight of a little pegasus and some baby animal between her ears. 'How peculiar...' It's worth investigating, and will provide entertainment for my traveling. I walk up to the entrance and sit down between the two sentinels, directly opposite the filly.

She doesn't smell like any herds I know, nor really any of the equines I know. What is between her ears seems to be one of those companion things, though it is very small - newborn, perhaps? I curl my tail around my paws and stare for a moment in silence. "Who are you, child, and why are you here?" They are not of the Basin, and they aren't newcomers from the Threshold - they would have been led here. My voice is gentle, but firm, indicating that I want no nonsense from the child and she should be straight with me. The Basiners are not such a friendly group to outsiders - why else would they have built ginormous sentinels? I am not so opposed to visitors, but it is part of my duty living here to help protect the land. Besides, I want to know what's going on in my territory.

""
Please join! :)
Moar invites: @[Panzram], @[Deimos], @[Ophelia] etc. etc.

Image | Table by Tamme
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Saffron excluding dismemberment and death.

Grimalkin Posts: 50
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Whit
Large cats were not something the steed had overly much experience with. The gathering that had brought the herd together had allowed the steed to at least gain a visual on his herd - the tigress amongst them had not gone unnoticed. The very thought of her, all teeth and claws and stripes, sent a tremor down his spine. It wasn't fear, but rather a healthy wariness for his carnivorous sister that caused his nerves to be set alight. But despite his wariness, he was also curious - perhaps his curiosity even rivalled that of a cat's.

So he walked the borders, and he discovered two intriguing things. Of the scents that clearly patrolled the rims of the land, the tiger's was prominent, and as he neared the gate of their magnificent realm, the area which the sentinels stood tall, proud and stoic, another scent came across his path. It reminded him of feathers, of birds and yet also of a creature who was at least genetically closer to his own than that of the tiger he stalked.

Knowing (and also praying a little bit) that the tiger would not take fancy to his flesh, the steed rounded the end, and upon viewing the scene before him of pegasus and cat, he moved to stand beside his striped comrade. He was significantly taller than both of those present - in fact, the tiger probably stood taller than the gangly filly before them, if one were to remove the girl's wings. Shuffling his weight, rearranging his own version of feathers that draped his limbs, the steed peered down at the young belle with his sharp, emerald gaze.

"Speak." He simply prompted, reiterating the orders already given by the tigress, feeling no need to offer anything more.
colourize-stock & larfsalot @deviantart

please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
I write what I feel at the time
and hope everyone else does the same c:

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru
and Alice

Though the strawberry thief had never cared much for such meaningless things as patrols, for they were not her area and only sapped away time that she could spend doing other far more fruitful things, Hotaru was still bound to do them eventually. Whether they were the results of her own sleepless nights or random assignments when the forces were thin and weary, the meaning never truly mattered. For she still knew the borders as well as anyone who had wandered their edges, renewing the scent markers and assuring no wolves crept into their territory - like last time, she thought with a huff. What had driven her out from her adventures down past the crafting tents and the prison was beyond her, but Alice's absence made her somewhat reluctant to carry on her mindless plodding. Though she appreciated that the hellhound was watching over Arya, ever vigilant even in her tiny form, she also missed the new company that she had begun to grow used to. Yet their bond thrummed dully in her mind nonetheless, and so she let it be at that. If nothing appeared, she would merely turn around and return for a nap with her daughter.

Except, fate seemed to twist her wicked hand - though for once not wicked in this case - and ensure that such an ending would not be writ into the pages of Hotaru's personal diary of life. For towards the sentinels, near the borders, there was already a minor congregation. Never one to miss out on any sort of action, the thief pricked her ears and gleefully began to trot towards them, all elegance and smooth grace. If Phaedra had given her a single thing, it was confidence, late blooming though it had been. Not that her mother had actually been the one to inspire that confidence in Hotaru, but well...maybe it was genetic. Or maybe it was just another thing to be employed in her seamless act, one that even she could lose herself in. A kinder fate than the broken trueness of herself that surely hid somewhere beneath the beautiful actress she'd become.

Words slither into her ears as she approaches, and for a moment she gazes upon the foal, hardly off the teat, and her motherly instincts roar viciously. She slides into place beside Saffron, a cool leisurely nod given to the nameless brute at the tiger's other flank. Then she smiles, soft and saccharine, harmless and sincere as words drip like cool spring water from her lips. Rejuvenating.

"She's merely a babe, and a smart one at that if she fears our sentinels," she said lightly, winking at the colorful child in their midst. Oh, she knew that children were quite dangerous at times, but she doubted that needed to be said aloud for her companions to agree with her. "My name is Hotaru," she offered, shooting a glance at her kin with a sly smile that she hid with ease. Clearly they were not as gilded tongued as she was. Children always responded best to kindness after all, not fear and promise of torture. Not that the kindness had to be sincere, though the mother in her made that difficult. No, but she could exercise it nonetheless while it suited her.

Image by Frostie-Spirits.deviantart.com
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Hidden Account
T E M P E

At first I thought no one was going to notice me. There was silence from the frozen (well, pretty warm now) land. I frown, feeling down that no one has come to greet me. Surely there are those that live here? Am I mistaken? I sigh, and begin to turn away, but then there's a sound! Haruki gets excited, and my excitement matches his as we turn to face whomever has come to se-- OMG WHAT IS THAT. A big cat, orange and black and white and striped and OMG. It might eat us. I try to calm my panicked, thwomping heart. Haruki yips and paws at the air, as if trying to defend me from the predator. I stay rooted in spot, as if vines had sprouted from the earth and wrapped around my little hooves and legs. A tremble runs through me as the cat opens her mouth and SPEAKS. Oh Gods... what is this world I've been born into?

My voice catches in my throat. Haruki paws at my head and I feel him trying to encourage me. "I.. I.." But before I can manage to string words together to form a full sentence, another has appeared. Not another predator, thank goodness, but another from the this land. A dark hued stallion approaches, a big brute that moves to stand next to the cat. (Of course I don't know it is a tiger, no one has ever told me that.) He commands me to speak as well, and the stuttering begins again, trembling anew. I must find the courage inside me (deep inside) and speak my mind. After all, I came to visit here. Did I expect to walk in and speak to no one? I WANT to speak to them, learn about them. I can't do that without talking.

A pretty, rosy unicorn approaches at a trot, coming to stand next to the cat on her other side. Oh goodness, now there are THREE of them. How am I supposed to speak in front of such a crowd? I am just a filly and they are so big and intimidating! Courage rushes through me like a drug, and I try to look up at Haruki, suspecting that the little kitsune may be behind it. The mare comes to my rescue, reminding her companions that I am just a child. She even says I'm smart! (And I am, though I would not be so rude as to boast.) "Hotaru, Lady, Sir," I nod to each of them, relying on the introduction she gave and the courage Haruki shares with me. "My name is Tempe, and this is Haruki. We just came to explore." I stand up a little taller, puffing out my chest to show how strong and smart I can be, and how wise I might be as a little filly. "I want to learn all about the herds!" A genuine, innocent smile spread over my two-toned maw and I feel myself relax a little. Okay, so this isn't so hard! "C-can I come in?"

""
If either Whit or Brit feels inspired, feel free to post before I post with Saffron. ^_^

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
would you mind if I killed you?

Feral, immoral, and barbaric, he’d spent far more days wandering the entryway recently, twisting and turning as commands slid through the air, as newcomers rendered themselves members, as trespassers attempted to litter his grounds with their idiocy. Like clockwork, another managed to traipse their way across mountains and rime foundations, seeking some devout wisdom or absolution that could only be scraped from the ire, from the contempt, from the loathing of their summit. He stared at the mass, at the crowd, building between a child and his empire, stare narrowing, speculation soaring, vexation roaring. A part of him was irritated with the simple notion they were seemingly no longer fearsome, too many collided with sentinel prowess and majesty, too many flickered around the halls and aperture, too many traversed with foolish notions, with entitled requests, with polished ignorance. Another portion matched his ruminations with a fierce, vehement longing, because he could easily show the world why they were known for treachery, why they were dangerous, bestial heathens of the north, basking in the glow of credence, of convictions, of upheaval and sedition. It wouldn’t take much; just a figment of his detachment, just a singular scorch of his invocations, and they could hang her body from the machines – like a hostile banner, a wanton warning, a predator portrait of menace. What would it take for the rest of the lunatic world to leave them alone? One more begrudging portion melded a singular notion of foalhood: juvenile tendencies melded from one inept floundering to the other, and though he wasn’t fully aware of his own son’s antics outside of the herd, the Reaper could ascertain the scion had been witless and imprudent several times over in his short lifespan. With a resolute brow, he marched forward, intimidating and mighty, dominating and insouciant, the iron blackguard emerged and infused with the cold, Siberian winds, with the calculating, unrelenting prowess of death and demise. His gaze flickered from one being to the other, the new sneak, the rosy Hotaru, the tigress, guards of their ruffian regime, and he relented his stiff, unyielding position to deliver them curt, brisk nods, assisting in guarding their gates, before fixating his puncturing, malicious stare upon the winged child. The monster gave her no answer to her desires, the Basin was not a playground for visitors, and instead, released and relinquished a series of chilling vocals, sliding and sibilating amidst the throng. “I am Deimos, Lord of the Basin.” He paused, narrowed his gaze into a frightening, terrifying feature, maneuvering his skull so it pervaded her presence, close and overwhelming. “Where are you from?” No child of an enemy was getting any nearer to his walls, to his confines, to his people – he’d mold the promise with absolute certainty.

would you mind if I tried to?

Deimos
Credits

Lauren

Saffron

I'm not the only one that has come to greet the small pegasus. A stallion comes up next to me, one I am unfamiliar with. I glance over him. Large, bulky unicorn with an interesting rack upon his head. I familiarize myself with his smell quickly as he stands next to me, then turn my attention to the next to approach. Hotaru. She and I have found ourselves together a lot lately, and I offer a smile to her. I don't know that either of us considers the other a friend, but we're comfortable herdmates. Acquaintances, herd mates... I'm unsure what to call it, but it's a comfortable relationship, a pleasant coexistence. I notice that Alice is not with her, and wonder at the reason she would have for leaving her hellhound behind. If companions and their bonded are so close, then how can they be parted, especially when the companion is a newborn? There are so many things lost on me.

Hotaru is much friendlier than I or the stallion are, introducing herself and inviting the foal to do the same. And she does, though it is clear that she and her companion are intimidated. I try to soften my demeanor, but being so stoic as I can be, it doesn't show on my face very well. Perhaps you can see it in my ears and my shoulders, or the twinkle of my golden eyes. I drop my head a little and cock it to the side, examining this 'Tempe'. She seems harmless enough, and as Hotaru pointed out, she is just a child. A very small one. Softly, with a small lilt to my deeper voice, I answer her. "I am Saffron. Welcome to the Aurora Basin." I dip my head politely. I can't say more, for Deimos the king arrives. The air that he carries is fierce and fearsome, and I sense that he is not in the mood to humor young fillies. My heart pangs a little at the tone with which he addresses Tempe and Haruki. I wish that I could protect her from his impatient, barely concealed wrath and contempt. Quietly, I add to his question. "I smell nothing on her but wilderness." A loyal subject might add 'my king' or 'your highness' or something of that sort. But I do not consider him my king. He leads the land and I happen to live in it. I hold little respect for him, for he has not earned my respect. I will not cross him, for he permits me to live here, and I appreciate that. But he is not MY king.

""
@[Grimalkin] @[Hotaru]

Image | Table by Tamme
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Whit
It was only seconds that passed, trickling by like a creek choked by sharp rocks and twigs, and throughout those precious seconds, Grimalkin’s sharp senses gave him much to learn and decipher, to digest and mull, chew and postulate. His ears, their tips rubbing against the broad base of his antlered prongs, pricked with expectant interest at the filly before them, his nostrils bathing in what little scent the breeze could offer him. Certainly he could not learn much, for he was no predator nor carnivore like the tigress beside him – he had no need to understand the subtleties that blood could offer, though he could see their uses, he simply did not hold the right wiring within his cranium to decipher such things.

Perhaps, in a land like Helovia, such things could be rectified.

Another arrives, a mare (whom he should probably have recalled from the meeting, but all he felt was annoyance at the way she inserted herself into the situation like they weren't handling it). Grimalkin knew how to use words to his benefit, he knew how to charm and manipulate - perhaps it was to his detriment that he did not see the use of such tools in this situation. Perhaps it was a mark of his good judgement. Either way, the mare had spoken now, and her soothing, maternal actions seemed to have spurred the youth before them into sudden animation - too many words all fell out of her mouth at once, and she finished with a question that caused the brute's muscles to stiffen upon his frame suddenly.

Entrance? She wanted entrance into the Basin? The steed was not racist, but nor was he stupid - there were no creatures with wings striding within their borders.

A strange sensation nearly overwhelmed the titanic steed then. A sense of his life suddenly yet slowly, steadily leaking from his body, a leech drinking his blood, a vampire sucking the life from his veins. The chocolate brute took a deep, shaky breath as the Lord of their home approached, resonating tones rolling over the small crowd before them. Though he felt like his life had just been suspended by the Lord's presence, he found himself growing used to it after some time - he recovered in a matter of seconds, returning to the solid, titanic beast that he was mere moments before. It was almost imperceptible, the change that had swept over him, but he knew those who shared his home were sharp and keen; they would likely know of his momentary weakness, and he hated it.

A small huff exited his nostrils, his unimpressed feelings making themselves apparent as he considered the words of the tigress. "What do you wish to learn?" Vocals were tightened by his thick accented tones; he had picked up on his Lord's mistrusting state and so continued along his original plan, despite Hotaru's presence and attempts at niceties. His question was not kindly asked, but rather posed with a dry sense of challenge - what exactly did this winged flicka want? There was no time like the present for the young belle to learn how to explain herself more thoroughly in the presence of those who could wield one's fate.

[ Sorry about the wait.
@[Hotaru] ]

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru
and Alice

Fate worked in mysterious ways. Then again, Hotaru had never believed in fate. Not really. So instead she merely smiled her beautiful smile at Saffron, winked playfully at the lost little pup on their doorstep, and got down to work. The poor thing was terrified, it was easy to see for the mother at least. Whether the other two caught the fearscent in their nares or saw the tremulous shivers of her frame was questionable; did they simply ignore it, or were they blind to her distress? Did they revel in it? Had Hotaru not seen Arya through the good and bad all her life, perhaps she would have reveled in watching someone else quake beneath her presence as well. Were it any creature older than the mere weanling, she would have. But, a mother's instincts were hard to ignore, and so she didn't. It seemed to work in her favor in the end, after all. Hotaru always knew when to go along with her gut instinct.

Something in Hotaru's words seemed to bolster the confidence of the darkling foal, and Hotaru smiled encouragingly where the others could not see, hoping to loosen up the little one's tongue. Oh, Hotaru was fond of foals. But she was still Hotaru. Simply everyone knew that!

Saffron seemed to follow her lead, and Hotaru smiled inside to see how easy it was to influence the behavior of others sometimes. Before Hotaru could even digest the new information however, their Lord was coming, heralded by the chill of the air he always seemed to bring with him. Or perhaps that was simply what fairy tales dictated, that the evil demonic Reaper came in a flurry of cold and death. He seemed the type to have rumors made about him, after all. Still, her lips lifted in a smile, even as her eyes never swayed from Tempe's figure.

"Hello Lord Deimos," she said simply, using it to her advantage, showing Tempe that maybe he wasn't as bad as he seemed. Oh, but he was. Hotaru was simply smart, however, and she knew the babe's tongue would freeze up, any information she deigned to share withering on it the moment he struck his fear into her heart. If she showed Tempe that Hotaru did not fear him, that she reacted normally to him, then perhaps that information could still be saved. Deimos may not know that, might find her odd for her words, but he was a man of action rather than words. He had never seemed to understand her nor Thranduil, in their ways, but if he wanted progress then he simply had to learn to trust Hotaru.

"Grimalkin's right," she said at first with that same encouraging smile, hoping idly that Deimos would not mistaken her as someone weak, someone who actually meant what she was staying. She hoped that he knew her, at least through others, better than that. Grimalkin she could care less about, he was nothing in the grand scheme of her life, and she'd been labeled as far worse than what was floating about in his aquarium mind. "So why should we let you in?" It wasn't said unkindly, hoping to squeeze her like a baby lemon for whatever pathetic juice she may have, and as such it was nearly required for Hotaru to be kind. Especially if she was the only one who would be, because then Tempe would lean heavier on her than she did the others.

Image by Frostie-Spirits.deviantart.com
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Hidden Account
T E M P E

This wasn't really how I was imagining all of this would play out, and I begin to tremble. The arrival of the lord of the land - Deimos, Hotaru calls him - doesn't seem so intimidating to look at. He's a black unicorn, rather simple and plain compared to say, Saffron or Grimalkin. But the closer he gets... The air changes, and I begin to quake where I stand. He asks me where I come from, and Saffron speaks up, perhaps trying to somehow give me a way in? "I - I am from nowhere in particular." I say in full honesty, not even fathoming the concept of lies and deceit. Haruki huddles closer to my hooves, and I know that both of us are feeling overwhelmed and, as they speak, rather unwelcome. I didn't know that the Basin was so withdrawn.

I'm grateful that everyone has been introduced, so I can address each of them as needed. I bow my head respectfully to Lord Deimos, as I have yet to greet him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Lord Deimos." My voice is faint, barely carrying across the air to his dark ears. I move neither forward or back, finding myself instead rooted to the spot. My chest is tight and I feel short of breath. My adrenaline is beginning to kick in, as I wonder if they aren't all going to gather together and run me off. Hotaru seems the most likely the support my visit, and I look in her direction with a plea in my amber eyes.

I look at her, then Grimalkin, hoping that I can satisfactorily answer both of their questions. "I want to learn who lives in the herds, what they do, what they're about. I want to make friends." I'm not sure how to better explain what I want, or how I feel. Why should they let me in? My words now are as much musings for myself as they are explanations to them. "Because I'm honest and goodhearted and nice. Why not?" I don't know of the Basin and their secretive ways, or the racism that runs through several of its members. In my young and innocent mind, I don't understand the fuss, nor why I must pass some sort of test to enter. Why can't a little filly have a visit? "I wanna know what it is, what it looks like..." My voice drops in pitch as begin to doubt myself more and more, feeling ashamed for trying to make friends. I drop my head closer to the ground, my eyelids drooping as I feel like a failure.

What's a girl to do? Why do I have to prove myself to them? What did I do wrong?

""

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
would you mind if I killed you?

Deimos held back a fierce, ferocious sneer, saving the expressions behind his taut, rigid, unyielding features, reticent, nonchalant, impassive, and wickedly, nefariously, depraved. The Lord listened to his fellow members, their questions, their queries, their inquisitive brows, all solidified and united in the notion of imbecile antics. Since when had the Basin become a tourist attraction? Was he supposed to allow and permit every outcast wander their icy sovereign, their wintry expanse, their frigid, wholesome tundra, simply because they wanted to? To satisfy their curiosity? To indulge their entitlement? To creep and slink and serpentine until their information gathering was fulfilled? The Reaper was no partaker in bestowing acts of kindness, generosity, or benevolence; there had to be a calculated reason, an edge, a purpose or motivation to anoint actions and meaning. He couldn’t fathom or find any incentive to honor the filly’s request; if he warranted one bumbling fool into their pathways, several more would all come trickling in, a monkey see, monkey do parade and cavalcade. They had enough projects, tasks, and skirmishes occupying their time, than to play babysitter to an ignorant babe, especially one held no blood ties to the empire. He narrowed his gaze, stared resolutely at the oddly-hued foal, briefly glaring at her wings, wondering how difficult it would be to pry them away from her body, how swift, how rapid, how quickly she could be torn and ripped to shreds, tossed off a barren cliff, by any of his brethren, thirsty kin eager and waiting. The moment passed, but the brutality still remained, sculpted in sinuous, arcane composition through his vocals, delivering the first blow to her wishes and dreams. “You will not always receive what you crave.” He leaned down, closer, a breathing, tangible phantom taken straight from the hollowed, hallowed abyss, a machine of war, a machination of avaricious plights, forming her one opportunity, her one chance, to barter for their sagacity. “We have no reason to grant your wishes. Honesty and beneficence will not bestow entry.” Only few and far between, like their Mender, could even survive on the ability to proffer the virtues, and as he glanced towards each of the gathered, he presumed none of them seized or possessed the skills. His brow arched, then furrowed into King deliberation, ghosting back towards the tiny fool, prospering a final declaration. “If we permit your access, what can you give us in return?” Your head?

would you mind if I tried to?

Deimos
Credits

Lauren

Saffron

I can see that this little filly is not about to get what she desires. Entrance to the Basin is not for just anyone. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that they let me enter. But I'm sort of a collectible - it would be foolish for them NOT to let me in. This filly is young, naive, and has little if anything to offer, or so it would seem. Hotaru keeps trying to play the nice card, but I wonder what it will get her. What is her goal in being nice to the little girl? Grimalkin and Deimos remain stiff, as I might expect them to. My place in this conversation is diminishing, and it seems it would be time for me to depart. The filly isn't going to cause harm to the herd, that much is obvious. Borders defended successfully. If she needs more telling off (and it seems she does, according to the unamused look on Deimos's face), these three can handle it. I am not one to scold a filly for her curiosity. "Perhaps Tempe, you can offer us favors, or a unique quality or magic that you possess?" I will give her that last suggestion as a way to get what she seeks. If not, she will find herself sorely disappointed and turning tail. I nod my head to her, then to each of my fellow Basiners. "I think my usefulness has run its course. Until next time." I send a soft smile toward the filly before turning and continuing to walk the edge of the Basin, marking subtly in the darkness. This is my home as much as anyone else's.

""
276 words
@[Grimalkin]

Image | Table by Tamme
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Whit
The stallion winced as the strawberry mare blurted his name forth. Though it was not his true name (for none here would ever know that, if he had any say in it), names still held more weight with him than anything else. His disgust passed swiftly, however, and the chocolate steed did nothing more than breathe a slightly deeper breath, a sigh that had he been so inclined, might have sounded like a gruff, resigned huff of mares.. - alas, he was a bit wiser than all that and so managed to merely stand, statuesque as always, between this outcast belle and the secrets of their realm.

The girl's words were hardly supportive of the idea of allowing her passage. She was young, and naïve, and it would do her no good to expose such facts as if they were the key to her entrance to the realm. Still, it would not be Grimalkin's say that ultimately allowed her passage - he would obey his leader, and (begrudgingly so), his senior in rank, the mare beside him.

"Those wings might look nice hanging on the wall of my cavern." His low voice rumbled softly, a simple comment, made more to himself then the gathered crowd. The tiger departed the scene, and the steed felt some tension slip away with her - truly, he didn't ever see himself becoming comfortable with sharing his home with a tiger. With nothing more to add to the situation, but unwilling to flee from it as the feline had, the stallion stood, mostly silent (except for the mutters under his breath of mares and cats and wings), a stoic and impassable titan guarding his newfound home.

[ Sorry (again) about the wait. Feel free to skip around Grim in future~
@[Hotaru] ]