the Rift

[OPEN] Wasting Time

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi

The days are hot. This years Tallsun was an angry one and the heat crippled the trees around me, their branches wilting as they took the brunt of scorching weather. I find lingering near the roaring cascades of water and letting the wet droplets splash against my skin a comfortable place to stand and shelter. I could hardly hear a thing, but it was at least a respite from the wrath of the summer heat wave. The places where it had once been thick with mud were now crusting over into hard, undulating terrain and the grass was turning a shade of dry yellow. Overall, I was not impressed, but Mother Nature did as she pleased no matter how much I grumble under my breath or pray to the moon that she bring some cool breeze to dampen the heat. At least the wolf seemed to be enjoying it. Splashing around in the pool at the bottom and panicking when he got too deep, I did nothing to help him in such moments, youth was for learning was it not? Instead, I watched his carefree frolicking like a tired mother wishing the good old days to return.

Cooler, I shift away from the waterfall and slowly make my way back down the path to join the bottom where the playing pup was, just outside the pool. My eyes scanning the area in search of anyone who may be watching, but none appear in my short glance around and instead I turn to cleaning my wings. Lifting one red tipped one and carefully beginning to remove dirt and other unsavoury things from it. As I do my mind wanders and I find myself thinking of troublesome things like thieves and murders. The whole saga seemed to have died down for a moment, but it worried me how quickly things could escalate, I wonder if my grip as a Czarina is really all that strong. I think of Seele, surely she had more things to teach me or more tasks that needed to be complete, it was like I missed something and it bothered me.

Casting a quick look back to the wolf, I suddenly wish that I had his stress free mind and his frolicsome ways. Why was I not lucky enough to be born to freedom and serenity? Will I always be haunted by something? My life might have been different had I not followed my sad excuse of a parent.

@[Syrena]

Ghost
All your life I'll tease, I'll torment
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
<style type="text/css">.border{position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;padding: 20px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;border: 1px solid #06061E;background: #06061E url('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/ruinedecho/Patterns/tileable_midnight_blue_grunge_pattern_13_zpsff7712a1.jpg');border: 1px solid #06061E;}.container {position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;background: #06061E;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;box-shadow: 0 0 4px 2px #446576;}.container p {margin: 0;}.image {width: 550px;margin-bottom: -70px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;}.gradient {position: absolute;z-index: 5;top: 370px;width: 550px;height: 200px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%, rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%, rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(6,6,30,0)), color-stop(12%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12)), color-stop(100%,rgba(6,6,30,1)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#0006061e', endColorstr='#06061e',GradientType=0 );}.message {position: relative;z-index: 10;text-align: justify;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 20px;padding-bottom: 8px;color: #446576;}.name {position: relative;z-index: 15;padding: 0px;bottom: 5px;left: -20px;font: 32px 'Nothing You Could Do', serif;color: #557F95;text-shadow: 6px 6px 7px #263948;}.quote {position: absolute;z-index: 20;bottom: 3px;left: 230px;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 0px;color: #384F3F;font-style: italic;}</style>

Previous Thread: SWP Shipping // after discovery of powers being gone

She had been standing in an alcove hidden by the waterfall, not near the odd bird-creature that had been cooling off but not very far off either. Syrena had taken to finding secretive places where she could enjoy the cool water - somewhere out of the sun and somewhere where she could watch those around her. Slowly, painfully slowly, she was beginning to learn about what it meant to be a horse with nothing extraordinary no that was silly, she was still extraordinary. Even as one of these lesser-beings.

There had been no intention of striking up a conversation with the bird-mare until she had noticed the wolf playing down in the pond. As the mare went closer to it, Syrena wondered if they had the same bond that Essetia had possessed with her wolf creature. Was this a common occurrence? The questions abounded until she could take no more - this new feeling called curiosity could be rather overwhelming.

Slowly she emerged, hooves made for traversing slippery rock traversing through the waterfall and out into the hot, open air with ease. This Tallsun heat was revolting and she rather hoped it would pass soon. Approaching the pool at the foot of the waterfall, Syrena’s once-grey body was streaked with reds and pinks and purples where the water left its mark. Preferring to stand in the water rather than near it, she entered the pond but did not fully approach the pair - letting her voice breach the gap instead. “Is it customary for all females to have such creatures?” Stormy-sea eyes were focused on the wolf-pup playing nearby and she recalled the odd way the wolf had followed Essetia around. Did it show rank? Were they that ill-equipped at protecting themselves that they needed the constant presence of a known predator? There was an innocent ignorance to her question - she honestly wanted to know. “Is it for protection?” This wolf was not nearly as impressive as the one that had followed Essetia around but perhaps it was merely an age. Wolves were not a predator that she had previously had to worry about - they were just as easy to drown as any other creature.

The idea of having to rely on something else for her own protection sickened her but, then, was that not why she lingered here in the Falls after knowing her powers were gone? She could not defend herself while travelling any longer and the primitive herd-style of the horse would suit her for the time being. Certainly, her survival until a solution could be found was the utmost priority. Perhaps obtaining a wolf creature of her own would enable her to be more mobile within the confines of Helovia until she resolved what to do next - she would not allow this land to defeat her and would stay here until she conquered it as she had others, whatever it took from her in the process.

It would only be when the bird-mare responded to her that Syrena’s eyes would change to her, the heat of the sun already causing the water to evaporate from her coat.

@Ghost (removed tag to edit & fix a mistake)

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi

In all honesty, I was not expecting someone to come out from behind the waterfall. I knew it was a place you could venture if you were sure footed enough, but not an area I had seen many lingering in. I watch her with caution as she stands under the falling water, as if it was of no bother to her and the rivulets caused changes to her coat that was a mix of fur and scale. What kind of strange creature was she? I knew many looked upon myself as strange for having both the traits of a unicorn and a Pegasus, but I most certainly didn’t have scales! I wonder if she is some sort of water creature, many old myths may mention such things, but I did not think to find something similar here. Though, considering the strangeness of the land I live in, perhaps I should not be surprised. She seems more interested in the fuzz ball nuisance, however, and I wait for something to happen before opening my own mouth to try put into words the oddness of this situation.

Briefly, I drag my dark gaze away from her and view the playing wolf as she speaks of him. Her question tugging an amused smile to my lips and when she asks the second, I laugh in genuine humour. Protection? That pup couldn’t protect a fly. Maybe one day he will grow strong enough to be of use to me, but for now, he was a tag along accessory. I turn back to the weird mare and her strange questions "I think he would be more of a hindrance than a shield." I respond with regret filling my voice "one day, maybe, he’ll be of more use" I hope. He was of the grey wolf kind so surely I was right in my thinking there would be better days.

Switching my attention from troublesome carnivores, I frown at the mare under the waterfall and shake my head gently. "Judging from your question this is not the first bonded animal you have seen… Who are you?" I ask her, wondering if she was new here. I was not the most social being but I had now been around long enough to know most of the old guard and some of the new, but this one I had not met. This scaly, colour changing mare was all but unknown to me and I was intrigued to unravel her mystery.

Ghost
All your life I'll tease, I'll torment
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
<style type="text/css">.border{position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;padding: 20px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;border: 1px solid #06061E;background: #06061E url('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/ruinedecho/Patterns/tileable_midnight_blue_grunge_pattern_13_zpsff7712a1.jpg');border: 1px solid #06061E;}.container {position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;background: #06061E;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;box-shadow: 0 0 4px 2px #446576;}.container p {margin: 0;}.image {width: 550px;margin-bottom: -70px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;}.gradient {position: absolute;z-index: 5;top: 370px;width: 550px;height: 200px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%, rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%, rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(6,6,30,0)), color-stop(12%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12)), color-stop(100%,rgba(6,6,30,1)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#0006061e', endColorstr='#06061e',GradientType=0 );}.message {position: relative;z-index: 10;text-align: justify;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 20px;padding-bottom: 8px;color: #446576;}.name {position: relative;z-index: 15;padding: 0px;bottom: 5px;left: -20px;font: 32px 'Nothing You Could Do', serif;color: #557F95;text-shadow: 6px 6px 7px #263948;}.quote {position: absolute;z-index: 20;bottom: 3px;left: 230px;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 0px;color: #384F3F;font-style: italic;}</style>

Well, the winged mare had a point - now that Syrena was watching the wolf pup more closely she could see that it would be of little use in warding off predators. Perhaps, as the mare said, in the future. Though that thought only brought forward new curiosities - she wondered whether this wolf would protect the horse it had bonded to against others of it’s kind, or would it feel the pull toward the pack? If it grew hungry enough, would it gnaw at one of those wings or the soft flesh that covered organ and bone? There did not seem to be any logic associated with the bond and she only imagined it would fracture the moment their interests became misaligned. The wolf was a predator, after all. To deny it any of that… well, Syrena could understand the feeling.

She was beginning to feel as though she had more in common with the pet wolves in Helovia than she did with their masters - a truly unsettling feeling.

A question is asked and her attention turned back to the mare as she stood in the shallow pool, her ankles remaining brightly coloured while the rest of her body continued to shift back to grey as the water evaporated underneath the sun. “I am Syrena, Essetia and her…” A pause, as she tried to recall. It wasn’t quite a pet, perhaps, but what was his name again? She had liked the pair for the simple fact that they had liked her - her ego was easily stroked, especially by one as pretty as the brown mare.

Ah yes, there was the memory. “Romul. They brought me from the dark forest to here, the land of waterfalls.” The conversation with Essetia and another with the warrior December had been the limit of Syrena’s attempt to associate herself with this herd. She had no desire to join the ranks, to serve leaders she had never met. Perhaps Essetia had mentioned them to her on their journey - it was more than likely - but other, actually important things had taken up space in her mind between then and now and she was not likely to have recognized the name of the mare before her, even if it had been given. “And you?” The others she had met so far had been without brilliant colours or extra appendages and yet this mare was - perhaps there was more diversity in Helovia than she had originally assumed.

A shame, really. She had never tried to drown a bird-horse before.

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@[Ghost] SORRY FOR THE WAIT

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli