the Rift

ash & dust

Eurybe Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Eurybe

The sun bore down on her. It was a welcome change to what the recent cooler climates. With her golden dragon hide adorned she walked. Now she was truly and completely alone. One by one over the past year her guards had slipped away. Some falling in love, others new jobs, and a couple even went to her cousin’s side. There was nothing she could do to bind them to her side. She had no gold, no jewels, no crown. None of them truly mattered anyway. There had only ever been one person who mattered. That person was gone now. All she was now was a bastard lost in the midst of nowhere. Gently she pulled the hide from her shoulders as she spotted a stream. Dirt and sweat caked her skin, it’d do her some good to wash the filth away.

Would he love her despite the new scars that covered part of her hide? Eurybe could remember tracing her nose over his scars in the dark. Perhaps he would find the same beauty in hers as she did in his. But would he love what she was now? A year had passed and nothing was the same. Part of her wondered if she even still loved him. The man with those deep emerald eyes that pierced through her masks and guarded heart. Most individuals were boring but something about him had been interesting. Those emerald eyes had hypnotized her upon first sight. Long ago she had convinced herself that those eyes were no filled with the fog of death. That the man that had crawled into her heart was gone. It was that thought that made her pine for vengeance. It was that vengeance that often made pressing onward worth it. But now she was tired. Eurybe had lost her home and there was no way she could regain it.

So, she stepped from the water and shook herself out before pulling on her dragon hide. Once she had been the golden empress. Once she had been someone. Titles and lands were swiftly losing the appeal. All she longed for now was the vastness of the dunes and the burning heat of the sun.
"talk talk talk"

Coding by Tamme for selkie | Image by Tamme

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

megaera</style>
temper our souls with flame and furnace
bear us toward a noble purpose
</style>

North again. The desert warrior might have grumbled about that particular duty if she hadn’t been in such a good mood. Scouting was a necessity and in ranks of the Dragon Army and she was the most well-suited for the long-distance task. Still, when she passed over the waters that separated her island from the rest of Helovia, there was always a fear that stirred in the back of her mind. If something were to happen while she was gone, some attack or disaster, she would be caught ignorant and powerless to stop it. That she might one day return to find her home in ruins was a real fear that Megaera had to fight whenever she was away. Today though, she had a welcome distraction.

Little Gwaihir clung to the patch of feathers between the mare’s wings as she sailed them easily through one of their first flights together. The chick was far too young to fly on his own; half the size of her head and still and awkward mess of white downy feathers and stubby-looking wings. He loved to fly though, just as much as Meg did, and she felt his excitement through their bond as easily as she herd it in his delighted little chirrupy noises he made. It was easy when they sailed the sky like this, the presence of her newest little ally gave Meg an emotional tether, that precious little reminder that she was not alone and never would be again.

A flash of gold amongst the trees below caught the scout’s sharp eye, the color and the size together warranting further investigation. A shift of wings and the mare and her companion were slicing between the branches of the canopy, carefully picking their war down to the floor of the Threshold. As she maneuvered their descent, Meg took a careful survey of the scene, catching sight of the mare as she was pulling the golden hide over herself. They landed downstream of the cloaked mare, and meg, assured that there was could be no immediate danger from only one stranger, first glanced back to check that Gwaihir had come though the tricky maneuvering alright. He was indeed a bit flummoxed by the tricky landing, but a quick nuzzle from the soft (if scarred) maw of his mother/friend was enough to reassure him.

When she was sure that the chick was secure, Meg turned to make her jaunty way over to the stranger, stopping still at a respectful distance. “Hello there,” her nod of greeting in amiable enough, but all the while, here sharp eyes move, trying the take in everything about the mare’s appearance. Definitely the most spectacular part is the cloak she wore, formed and shaped in a dragon’s likeness, and looking to be of dragon hide, but the only dragon’s Meg had ever seen were far too small to make such a thing. What she could see of the mare, all black and gold and grey, still held the marks of the traveler, even with the dust of the road recently washed away. Be nice, be nice, be nice! You’re recruiting not picking fights!! and sent the newcomer a smile. “You seem a newcomer to these lands if I’m not wrong. Are you in need of any assistance?” The mare question was punctuated by an impetuous little squawk as the chick peered his curious head around the bay mare’s neck. Baby eagles were not known for their tact.

Notes: -continues to get carried away with baby Gwahir-
”Talk talk talk”

Image Credits
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Unregistered
Eurybe

Eurybe knew she should’ve been suspicious of the strange mare. She should’ve slipped away like she had habit of. First thing she noted was the other mare’s wings. It wasn’t the first time that she had encountered a Pegasus. Every now and then the winged ones would pass through the Empire. Many of them had stories of lands beyond of flight and splendor. The she-wolf had always enjoyed their company on the rare passing. There was something so marvelous at the thought of flight.

“Hello,” she answered back to the mare. Her tone wasn’t unfriendly, but it certainly wasn’t warm. Once upon a time Eurybe would’ve played the lady with a silver tongue, but she had been given a certain edge. There was something that burned in her eyes. A fire that warned the stranger to try anything. She thrust her head back and she felt the hood of her hide fall onto her shoulders, exposing her face and neck. At the mare’s mention of help she stared at her skeptically. But the chirp shifted her mind away from the paranoia. She focused in on the tiny bird that rest upon the mare’s shoulder. “Why bother helping me?” Both of her eyes narrowed and she stepped toward the mare with one ear pressed against her skull. “Do I look wounded or unable to care for myself?”

Her question hung in the air and Eurybe simply stared at the mare. “Don’t give me lies such as you simply wish to. I’m no fool. Everything comes at a price.”

"talk talk talk"

@[Megaera]

Coding by Tamme for selkie | Image by Tamme

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

megaera</style>
temper our souls with flame and furnace
bear us toward a noble purpose
</style>

At her little sidekick’s interjection, Meg turned to give the chick a soft nudge. “Hush, now, don’t be rude.” she murmured, more gentle with the bird than she was with any other creature. Pleased however, to have the attention of his bonded, the eaglet was content to nestle into her makeshift nest of her feathers. The mare turned her attention back the newcomer who spoke as if she wasn’t all that keen of making friends.

The warrior’s ears twitched back slightly, eyes narrowing, affronted at the mare’s response. Her tempar ran hot and was easily stoked, but practice was aiding her in reining it in. A lone horse had to be suspicious in order to survive on their own, she herself had been even worse when Gaucho had found her here. Be niceshe reminded herself. “I meant no offense. I am sure you are just fine on you own, but I was offered help when I first came to Helovia, and thought I might pass that on.” She paused for a moment, considering the mare’s cynical response. She sure seemed the type to pass out orders, didn’t she... Meg decided her poor attempts at diplomacy would do her no good here.

She shifted her stance, her expression, till she stood with one back leg cocked and a proud carriage to her head. Confident and relaxed, Not aggressive, but still a challenge. “I am Megaera, warrior for the Dragon’s Throat. We make our home to the south and are always willing to welcome those who find themselves in need. We can offer shelter and those that take it must keep our peace and pull their weight in whatever fashion they are best suited for. If you would forge on into Helovia on your own, that is your prerogative, but I’ll say now that this land is at a hard-fought peace and any who threaten that would be wiser to stop themselves at this pass.” Well, there was her spiel. The mare could either take it or leave it and Meg could say she'd been honest at the very least.

”Talk talk talk”

Image Credits
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Unregistered
Eurybe only rolled her eyes at the mare’s coment. Whether she meant offense or not it mattered little. The she-wolf was no incapable or weak. Once she had sat upon a golden throne with every man writhing in envy at her position. There would be no admittance to her weakness. Not even if she fell far from grace. A throne wasn’t worth the hatred and malice so many had thrown her way.
The mare continued onward speaking of the a herd. A place known as the Dragon’s Throat and at the mention of the deep south both ears perked forward. She missed the heat of the sun. She missed towers of sand. “I wish to see it.” There was an underlying command in her tone. A sure sign of her descent. Eurybe was an empress even if the finer edges had been sharpened by the wild around her. Loss had turned her porcelain skin to iron. “Take me to this Dragon’s Throat. I am tired of a life of wandering and am ready to have a place to rest. I also am more than capable of carrying my own weight.” She was no warrior but she could use other ways. Surely they had room for those with a silver tongue or more subtle arts. The she-wolf began to walk and didn’t bother to see whether the mare was following. One way or another she would find the way to this Throat, even if it meant wandering on her own.
Eurybe silently prayed that maybe, just maybe her Thief would come walking through this same place.

@[Megaera]