the Rift

[OPEN] Twilight Anthem [Hatching]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
THOR
I didn’t know what to expect upon watching the queer creature flee from the mouth of the caves, but it hadn’t been this. One moment I was staring up into the branches , searching and hoping to find the egg somewhere within her matted feathers and the next I was looking down to find it perched between my hooves. How was I to know that I, Thor the Gentle Heart, would be the one to unveil the witch’s plans so easily? Or maybe I hadn’t, maybe it was all just another test to leave my mind reeling… but there it was, right between my toes. I glanced back once to make sure everyone else had survived their trip to the pit and was surprised to see that indeed everyone had. However, I was still in shock…

With the egg still sitting quietly at my feet, I felt unsure. How was I supposed to care for it now? It frightened me and excited me all at the same time. Slowly, I dipped my face to try and collect the infant between my lips (no teeth, for fear of cracking the delicate shell) and with a little difficulty I was able to lift it and begin the trek back toward the Edge. Honestly I wasn’t sure how long I could keep it stashed in my mouth because it had a way of making me drool, but it didn’t matter to me… as long as it was safe.

I wondered what exactly remained hidden behind the perfect, ivory casing and I thought of the many creatures I’d seen throughout Helovia, but this one felt different to me. It was significant… it was mine. Even as the thought crossed my mind, I felt giddy and incandescent. This was a feeling of pure bliss, seamless unison. Even though I hadn’t witnessed what lived within, I was content to suffer whatever consequences came my way for the tiny heart beating just beyond my reach.

The closer I grew to the inevitable mists, the closer I felt to the soul between my lips. It was a growing of emotion that I had not expected so soon in meeting the one that would accompany me in all my ventures and all my hardships. This creature would see me at my worst and it would see me at my best… a bond unequalled by anything else. I feared what awaited me when the porcelain cracked and my very best friend was slowly revealed… Yet, even as I continued on my way toward the World’s Edge, the egg began to stir. It was a stirring in my heart that alerted me to the infant and her desires.

Just beyond, our home loomed tall, but it didn’t feel as empty as it had before. Now I felt as though I was bringing home the one that would save my soul and fill the empty caverns of my heart. This was love at its core, my life.

When I had finally reached the borders of my home some hours later, under the cover of night, the infant began to quake. I was quick to place the egg at my hooves so that I would not interfere in my companion’s movement, but I hadn’t expected to see the large crack blooming vertically along the shell. I panicked for a moment, fearful that I’d done something in our commute to the Edge. However, when an ivory beak broke eagerly through the crack and into the world beyond, I smiled large.

Two golden eyes were the next thing to be seen and they blinked once before a tiny screech was lifted to the heavens. It was like nothing I’d ever seen before… When the babe finally broke through the remaining shell, I reached down to touch her tiny midnight-colored face with my muzzle. The zephyr squawked and hummed before falling quiet again. “Sabine,” I whispered. “Your name is Sabine.

Sabine: Midnight Blue and white Roc Zephyr. Beneath her wings are white speckled feathers and her eyes are also circled in white. Star patterns expand along the length of her back and cover the width of her wingspan. Her beak is white as well, along with her talons and she has fierce golden eyes.
Specter
world's edge
Image Credit

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Sometimes Romani questioned her worth, especially when it came to herd-life.

It was something she would never admit, for those of the World's Edge had been kind and humbling to welcome her, once again, into the familial hold of the land by the sea... But first and foremost, above her devoted role of a warrior, Romani was a gypsy. A nomad. A wanderer. Her spirit that dwelled within her earthen body was far larger than the boundaries of the Edge, and more often than not, the golden-red gypsy yearned fiercely for the open roads that Helovia had offered.

She did not, and would not admit this, however. To anyone.

Archibald, Thor, Kaj... So many had welcomed her into the World's Edge once again. She had served the land before the time of the wraith's as a Protector, and after traveling the world, she had returned for a warm place to bed down for the winter, only to be swayed to join the World's Edge once again. Was it a mistake? Had it been a mistake? Was she honestly doing the best of her abilities, here, in the Edge?

Or was she simply lying to herself?

A soft breath escaped the mare's nostrils in an exhausted exhale. These thoughts had been running rampant since the Edge had been declared safe to return to after the flood... But she wouldn't leave. Not again. She couldn't leave. This was home... Friends as close as family roamed these tree-filled mists, and she had everything that she could want...

And yet... Why did she feel so empty? So unfulfilled? So wretchedly useless?

It was those thoughts, those terribly, guilty thoughts that drove Romani on a late-night patrol. Her pace was slow, round hips rolling as thick, ivory feathered legs propelled the gypsy forward without a destination. Kasai was out on a hunt for a 'midnight snack', she had so eloquently put it, and the Haflinger was enjoying her time alone with only the night as her guide and company...

At least until a familiar shape formed in the darkness. Ears slowly perked to attention, deep azure orbs focusing on the large shape of the stallion standing before her. Thor. It was Thor... But what was he doing? Was he alright? Nostrils flared as the mare sucked in a deep breath, but nothing smelled strange or foreign. No blood traveled on the wind, nor any scent of panicked sweat or anxiety.

"... Thor?" The question came unbidden from dark lips, and slowly, the short, stocky mare ventured closer to the draft bay stallion. "Is all well, Thor?" It was only when the question escaped her maw that her eyes traveled his frame, down the thick musculature of his chest and focusing on the tiny thing that had hatched from an egg.

Azure eyes widened in surprise. "Oh!" She exclaimed softly, a broad smile pulling lips upwards in a joyous grin, "A companion! How marvelous, Thor. What shall you call her?"

ooc: Romani shows up a bit after Thor named Sabine, so she missed out on him naming her. ;D Congrats, Linds! <3

You Ain't Ever Gonna Change
You Got a Gypsy Soul to Blame
And You Were Born for Leavin'

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
THOR
Looking down into almond-shaped eyes, I was consumed. I’d never seen anything quite as beautiful as the child placed before me, aside from my own of course, and it was a brilliant intermingling of love and excitement and whimsical fantasy. I’d never felt anything quite like it before… in fact, it was mildly overwhelming. Did it feel this way for everyone? Did they bond with one of these amazing creatures and suddenly feel full, brimming at the top with emotion and connection and complete and utter admiration?

Sabine had finally managed to peel back the thick coating gathering around her shoulders and when she appeared to have a little more trouble with her backside, I dipped my head low in order to nibble at the shell. She seemed to hum against my cheek and at one point, as if she’d been a cat of some sort, she purred. I chuckled in an attempt to hide my growing affection for her, but simply couldn’t conceal the rising of my heart beat and the image of her in my mind. I felt shy around her because it seemed to me as though she could read into everything I was feeling. Each time my emotions changed, Sabine was able to mimic them in some way or another… It was mind-blowing.

When I was able to free her of the eggshell, I straightened in order to study her more fully. I wasn’t quite sure how to care for her just yet and certainly still unsure how I would be able to travel with her. I understood that many other Helovia natives found ways in which to tote their beloved babes about on their back… but how did they get them up there? The Zephyr looked much too small and frail to do it herself and there was no good way for me to move her without lifting her with my teeth. We looked at one another for a long time before I was distracted by the sound of approaching hooves. Suddenly, there was a small sense of fear blooming quickly in the back of my mind… I had no reason to fear the creatures that I shared a home with and it was then that I realized it wasn’t my own fear, but Sabine’s.

Like the diligent caretaker I’d wanted to become, I again lowered my face to the small bird-like creature and she squeaked twice against my muzzle. Clumsily, she opened her tiny wingspan and attempted to latch onto my right nostril and I snorted, surprised. We still had a long way to go until we were ultimately aware of the other’s needs, but I was already taken by Sabine and her fragile desires. I just needed to find a better way of accommodating them…

When Romani finally drew close enough to witness the Zephyr in her entirety, I smiled. “All if most certainly well Romani… but I’m having trouble figuring out how to, well, move her?” I related with another sheepish smile. “Her name is Sabine and I’ve only just acquired her, so I’m a bit overwhelmed,” I stated while glancing back to Kasai. It was then that I felt the smallest inkling of jealousy and when I returned my gaze to the Zephyr, her golden eyes had narrowed with suspicion. Had the feelings come from her? Was she already capable of the emotions I suspected were not my own? Perhaps I was going overboard with my own thoughts and ideas… surely the tiny, loving creature had not yet developed so colorful a personality…

But of course I was wrong. I always tended to be.

Do you have any advice that might be useful? I know you must have had to deal with the same problems with Kasai?” I questioned while again nuzzling Sabine and indulging myself with her cat-like purr. I was going to be a mad-man by the end of the day, but that was just fine by me… that was completely fine by me.

ooc: Holy cow, thank you! I love her already.
Specter
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Romani]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring