the Rift

[PRIVATE] snow seeker

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

HER SMILE'S BOTH PLEASURE AND PAIN, AND HER GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

In the aftermath of the boat-incident, Nyx was left dwelling on her enigmatic cabin-partner. They met through a quirk of fate, and yet the silver soldier finds the blood-bay stallion rather interesting, if a little odd. For reasons even she doesn't fully know, she wishes to seek him out again and get to know him better, ideally in a scenario where the world isn't about to end beneath a watery apocalypse. Her mind still lingers upon the Aurora Basin, where he'd led her to look for plants, and she can still picture the stark beauty of the frigid landscape, inhabited by the famed unicorn supremists. Not entirely her cup of tea, giving her utter I-don't-give-a-hairy-rats-ass-what-species-you-are attitude, and especially in light of the fact she had borne foals to all three of the different species during her lifetime. To her, race comes far behind strength in a list of importance, and all her suitors had proven able to defeat her in battle whether they wore horns, wings or neither.

No, the Basin had been stunning in its own way, but the iron lady has little desire to wander back into their lands and get herself lynched for trespassing. Yet she does rather wish to find Déodat again, so what is a girl to do? Her path brings her across the Frostbreath Steppe to the very edge of the Basin's territory, hooves crunching into the snow to cast glorious coldness up her legs, a pleasant relief from the merciless summer heat. She is alone for once; Dominus is off hunting, and through their mental bond she gets the sudden image of him inflicting misery on a poor unsuspecting deer. The thought draws a shudder from her, but she forces the picture aside and continues on her way. It is unusual for her to be away from her bonded, but he is a predator above all and needs to hunt - she knows he will be by her side like a furry white rocket should she need him.

Finally she can go no further without barging into uncharged territory, so there is little left for her to do but loiter awkwardly and hope the stallion appears. She is definitely keen to discover more about him, but her curiosity is not intense enough to overrule her respect of herd borders, which prevents her bouncing right in to visit him. Besides, who knows if he has any desire to see her again, because after all their meeting and co-habiting was simply a matter of convenience. Nyx stands, looking as casual as possible with a cocked hind-leg and flopped ears, hoping Déodat decides to come for an early morning stroll in her general direction.

@[Déodat]

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx
- Déodat -
Being home was good. Not knowing the wherebouts of one of his daughters was not. Mirabella was nowhere to be found since his return and it panged him with worry. She would be over year old and more than capable, but nothing could calm a father’s worry. Arya, of course, had her own way of making him worry. The girl was boisterous and an unquenchable wanderlust. His younger daughter was free as the wind and he knew there was little he could do to bind her to his side. She wasn’t the little child who bounded at his side and listened to stories. And he had missed the transition from filly to young mare. There was no point in regretting for what has been done was done and he must keep moving forward.
Odette had scampered off to hunt and Déodat seized the opportunity for some solitude. He wasn’t the stalwart corporal anymore. Rather, he was simply the soldier and he was comfortable. But his mind wasn’t upon rank or bloodshed, but rather, a face from the flood. His time with Nyx had been relatively brief and built upon accessibility rather than any sort of bond. The mare had been interesting though. Maybe there was room for friendship.

He snorted and shoved the thought of the mare from his mind. The focus turned to his patrol, until he saw a figure off in the distance. One ear swiveled against his skull and he sped up his pace to a trot to investigate who lurked so near his family’s territory. Once he drew closer, the face became familiar and he came to a stop. Hostility faded from his face. Both ears perked forward and a bit of a smile perked at the edge of his lips.

“What brings you so far north, Nyx?”

@[Nyx]

I was promised
The glorious ending of a knight
But the crown is out of sight
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

She has no warning of his presence, and it occurs to her that she has perhaps become over-reliant on Dominus' keen senses to detect danger. She has allowed herself to become slack and lazy, something she could well have regretted had it not been Déodat who approached her. She only knows she is not alone when she sees a figure marching towards her, and had it been someone who wished her harm then she would have already been at a disadvantage - she silently chides herself for such a lapse. What sort of warrior allows herself to be sneaked up on? The silver soldier tenses, limbs straightening and back arching in preparation to fight, mind reaching out to find Dominus and recall him.

But as the figure comes closer, it solidifies into the blood bay stallion. Nyx relaxes with a breath, her mind retracting from her white lion. "Déodat," she greets, horned head dipping in his general direction. What brings you so far north? "Ahem, well..." She shifts awkwardly, tail flicking against her flanks to dispell flies that don't even exist. "I mean this in the least stalkery way possible, but I was looking for you." Her plan had all been well and good, until it actually came to the crux of the matter. What did she have to talk about her cabinmate with? Tell me about your family? No, they were not friends, they were barely even acquaintances, so why in the name of Cinnoru had she come here to find him? What could they possibly find to discuss that wouldn't make the male think Nyx was on some creepy spy mission for the Edge?

"You see, I don't meet a lot of folk from other herds, and you and I have several things in common. Both bonded to white carnivores, both unicorns, and, uh..." Okay, a couple of things in common then. Her icy eyes roll at her own stupidity, half-expecting the man to snort and take his leave. He will likely think Nyx either a creepy stalker, a spy, or just a bit simple - or perhaps all three.

@[Déodat]

- Déodat -

Déodat dipped his head back at Nyx. He listened to her words and at the mention of "stalkerish" he felt laughter break from his lips. For once he was in a cordial mood. "Don't worry, I don't fear you stalking me. Even if you were, I am truly more than capable of defending myself." He was a warrior after all. It had been awhile since he had had a good fight. Part of him was tempted to lure the mare into a friendly spar. They were barely acquainted though. For all he knew the mare was a pacifist. If only Odette were there. She'd give him some prodding into conversation. It was difficult to speak to any mare that wasn't Igraine. None of them made the same impression. 

Nyx continued to speak and he listened to her with both ears perked. She proceeded to roll her eyes. Déodat stared at her with his head cocked slightly. Then he smiled back at her. "It isn't often I meet others beyond my family I can tolerate. Many hear the name Basin and simply assume things. I am glad you came though. Why don't you patrol the Steppe with me?" Without waiting for a response he trudged on. It was almost painful to walk the place he and his daughter had been attacked. This place had lost the solace it once provided. 

"So... What rank are you in the Edge?" he asked glancing behind him, assuming that Nyx had followed him. Might as well see what kind of mare his bunk mate was.

"lookit i can talk to"
@[Nyx]
I was promised
con by aihnna@dA

deo gets nyx's 100th post yay! @[Déodat]

A quizzical brow lifts at his first words. Gracious, has she found herself a little warrior friend? The thought practically makes her giddy, because if there's one thing that gets the storm queen truly excited, it's talk of war. "I'm glad to hear that. I'd be dreadfully disappointed if I'd hunted you down only to find you were a big wuss." The smile on her lips and on her words makes it obvious she's joking. Despite herself she lets her eyes roam across his body, as though they're about to engage in a fight, assessing for differences and weaknesses. All in the name of science, of course. He's bigger than her, and muscle, probably a lot heavier, too, also muscle, a quite lovely bay colour, and she does love some muscle...

Realizing she's staring, the mare clears her throat and looks away. After all, staring doesn't quite back up her I'm-Not-A-Stalker-Honest narrative, does it? He speaks again, mentioning prejudices surrounding the Basin. Fortunately, he's talking to possibly the one mare in Helovia who knows next to nothing about herd politics. She has been out of the game for far too long, with little reason to keep track of alliances and enemies. Now she's back, and now she's a budding warrior, she realises she should probably start noticing these things. "What things do people usually assume?" she asks, her curioisity evident. She'd gathered that the Basin had a hint of unicorn supremacy about it, but she wonders if that's all Déodat means. He invites her to patrol with him and she doesn't need asking twice, shifting easily into a walk to fall into step beside him.

His question draws a pleased flicker of an ear from the silver soldier. "I am a Protector for now, however I hope to rise up the warrior ranks once I have proved my worth on the battlefield." If she ever gets chance to - she doesn't know if all-out wars are as common here as they were in Isilme. If she is forced to live off friendly spars for the rest of her life, she just might go crazy - she needs the thrill of real war. "What about you?"

Déodat laughs at her words."I can't say I'd identify myself as a wuss. My scars can testify to that," he gestures to the various lines across his hide. Even his horn displays signs of battle, with it's tip missing. For the moment he remains oblivious to her scanning his frame, but he does glance at her. Studying the lines of her body curiously. Is she a lady that knows the dance of war?Or is she of more delicate duties? Once he might've looked down on her, but enough women have shown their worth whether their a warrior or a wife. When she clears her throat he glances at her, expecting words. It takes a moment but they come. A question he isn't expecting. For a long moment he is silent. Unsure how to answer without exposing the Plague. 

"That we are malicious and cruel." He says. "That we are prejudiced because we choose to live amongst our own kind. There is a a whole list of things." He rolls his eyes. "We are a strong herd though. We've survived through all these years." No matter how much others try to drive them off, the Basin survives. It is the only place he can consider home. Déodat glances about the landscape, studying for potential threats. It almost seems as if peace never lasts in Helovia. Then Nyx answers his question and he listens. Protector... That comes as no surprise to him. Then she asks him.

"I once was corporal, but, I am simply a soldier now," he says, "which I'm content with. I've never been one for leading. Gives me more time for my daughters anyways." He still can't help but feel worry over Mirabella. The girl has vanished and he has no trace of her. Each day he misses Her and he longs to see his eldest again. Has she grown strong like her sister? He sighs and shoves the worry from his mind. Mirabella is strong. She is out there somewhere, finding her own path.

@[Nyx]
con by aihnna@dA

@[Déodat]

She flashes a small, toothy grin. "Well, technically you could be a wuss and still have scars," she points out. She herself had stabbed her horn into the retreating backsides of several cowards during her time, but from the way the stallion holds himself she doesn't think she has to worry about cursing him with that particular title. The storm soldier likes to think she is quite a good judge of character, and she doesn't think Déodat looks like a man who runs from battle.

He explains some of the things thought about his home, and Nyx listens with her ears jammed forwards in curiosity. "I won't lie, I did detect a certain air of unicorn superiority when I came with you to the Basin," she says, her voice honest. She and racism have an...odd relationship. She doesn't feel it herself, but can often understand why others do, even if she doesn't agree with it. Hell, she vividly remembers a conversation with Mauja where he explained his racism to her and gave her gory details of his murdering antics towards other species - she certainly does not shy away from racists. Especially handsome ones. "Do you share those beliefs?" It really, really isn't any of her business, but she cannot help but ask. After all, the lightning woman is curious bordering on nosy.

The blood-bay reveals he is a soldier but was once corporal, and Nyx's eyes practically glow with delight. So he is a warrior! He also mentions daughters, and for some reason she can't place, she feels a stab of envy. Imagine those daughters - strong, warrior-girls, able to be raised and moulded into little warbringers...It has been so long since she raised a child, she's almost forgotten what it feels like to train a youngster into stormy perfection. "You have daughters?" Her voice is neutral, but as curious as ever. "Can't say I'm surprised, handsome warrior like you. Those Basin women must stick to you like scabs." One ice-blue eye shuts in a playful wink. The soldier is not flirtatious, persay, but she is no stranger to innuendo and innocent banter - she's also curious how he will react. Is he the sort of stick-up-his-ass man who can't take or make a joke?

- Déodat -
Both of his ears perk forward at her comment. Then he laughs for a moment. “You make an incredibly valid point.” He offers a grin back towards her. “But I guess it just leaves a person guessing then.” He says with sarcasm lacing his tone. “Adds an air of mystique, I suppose.” He can already think of the face Odette would give him if she was here. Oh well, her snark isn’t needed. He has more than his fair share to have in her place.

She listens to him as he describes his home, and then she replies. Unicorn supremacist.. Is that what he is? He doesn’t even know anymore. Slowly he nods his head, and he is surprised at her relaxed demeanor about it all. “You’re honestly the first who hasn’t gone on some self-righteous tangent while discussing the matter.” He says simply. Next, Nyx asks him a question that takes him off guard. It isn’t often he discusses his beliefs or exposes what is going through his head. “Yes.” He says, without missing a beat. How can he even explain his views on the other species throughout Helovia? How does he explain his hatred? How does one explain something that is so embedded in your roots it cannot be removed? “It’s complicated, though.” Well done.

At her question, the blood prince almost begins to glow. Then he laughs at her words. “I do have two daughters. As for the women, they line up at my feet.” he jests. “Two of them to be exact. They are named Arya and Mirabella.” He decides not to mention that one of them is missing. “Mirabella is my eldest. She is a strong girl, like her mother. Very beautiful to, but, she definitely didn’t get that from me.” He can’t really articulate what she’s like, for all he knows she is polar opposite of the babe that was born all that time ago. “Arya is my second born and she is wild as the wind. Only thing she got from me is a bad temper.” He pauses for a moment and then looks at her. “How about yourself.. Do you have any children?”

@[Nyx]
I was promised
con by aihnna@dA

@[Déodat]

She gives a small snort as he speaks of her open-mindedness, her exhaled breath misting in the frosty air. "I've been around a lot of racists in my time, and it's not my place to judge them. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, so I do my best to approach everything with an open mind." She thinks immediately of Mauja and their frank - if rather frightening - discussion about his racism, about the murders he'd committed in the name of cleansing. She hadn't necessarily agreed with his viewpoint, but she understood a bit of where he was coming from. His answer to her question is a blunt yes, and she lifts a quizzical brow. Complicated, he says. She doesn't press further, not wanting to push her luck and intrude too much. He'll tell her if he wants to.

He seems to almost glow as they speak of his children, and Nyx gives a small chuckle. There are few things more endearing than a proud father. Very beautiful, but she definitely didn't get that from me he says - Nyx winks before she can stop herself, and words slip from her tongue before she can bite them back; "Oh, I don't know about that." She says it cheekily, but her eyes widen in horror as she realises what she's said. It's a true hoof-in-mouth moment, and if she could blush then she most certainly would. The worst thing you can do to a man is inflate his ego by telling him he's hot.

She hopes to quickly gloss over her faux pas, and he gives her a perfect chance to when he asks of her own children. A sad smile flickers across her blackened lips, another small sigh clouding the icy air. She misses her offspring terribly; when she'd gone outside Helovia looking for her father, she'd stumbled across several of them. They were adults in their own right now, with foals of their own. A grandmother at her age! They don't need her anymore, and part of the silver soldier misses having a young one at heel. It's been several years now, a queer change from her prime as a herd warrioress, when she'd had one a year, give or take. Whenever a new stallion took over the herd his first port of call would be to piss up the last man's tree, as it were, by ensuring he impregnated all the mares - Nyx had allowed this, as long as he proved his worth in battle first. "Several, yes. None of them are in Helovia, unfortunately." Imagine if they were! Heavens, Helovia wouldn't know what had hit it.

She looks back to the blood-bay with a curiously tilted head. "What of their mothers? I imagine they are strong unicorn warriors with steel hearts and fiery veins." She gives a small smile, imagining that Déodat goes for unicorn supremists to mother his children. She can't imagine him bedding anybody weak.

- Déodat -
Racist. There is that word again. Racist. He loathes it. It sends a tingling rage through him. A fire beginning to ignite, but, he controls himself. He contains it. Shields it from view. She is ignorant truly. Blind to the birthright presented to her and it is quite tragic she uses such words. At least she states the truth. She has no place to judge, for she hasn’t been in the place of others such as he. Far too many in Helovia rise onto their soapboxes and prattled on about their “equality” and condemned those who clung to their own species.They call believe themselves saints but they are little more than bigots. Pot calling the kettle black really. Ah, that is beside the point. Déodat shoves his annoyance aside and finally responds to her words with a simple, “interesting..” And drops the matter entirely.

As the subject shifts to his daughters, he catches Nyx’s wink, not entirely sure what is driving the mare. Then she speaks and he stands there for a brief moment dumbfounded. Again, she takes him off guard. Really she is quite an impressive mare to have done so twice. Déodat finally laughs at her look of horror. “You flatter me, Nyx,” he says winking back at the mare. Never has he considered himself much of a flirt, but there can be exceptions. Truly there are, he thinks, for he has two daughters from different mares. Each has their own pull, but he knows he truly won’t settle down with either. Part of him wonders if he would ever settle down at all. If d’Art found a little wife, there really is someone out there for everyone. he thinks to himself in amusement.

When Nyx states how many children she has, there is a temptation to life his brow. He refrains though, not wanting to insult his acquaintance. “Well, for birthing several children your body truly looks marvelous.” Oh dear god, what just came out of his mouth. It is his turn for utter embarrassment it seems. Then the subjects change to the mothers. He thinks of Esther and Hotaru. Two dramatically different mares. “One of them was a warrior. The other is a spy, but still has an undeniable ferocity and strength to her. Both are good friends.” He then looks over at Nyx. “How about you? Do you have a little man waiting out there for you or have you just successfully seduced mighty men somewhere beyond Helovia?”

"lookit i can talk to"

I was promised

@[Nyx]
con by aihnna@dA

@[Déodat] my god she just writes herself xP

The change in him is immediate, and the silver lifts a sculpted brow; she does not comment further, however. It would be a shame for this interesting conversation to end on a bad note, for the two to part as enemies when they seemed close to becoming friends, so she simply blinks and lets the topic drop. Nobody in Helovia will ever agree completely with one another, not when horns and wings seperate friend from foe, sister from brother, mother from daughter.

Her furious blushing subsides when he seems amused rather than angry at her awkwardness, and she manages a weak smile. "I try," she murmurs. What's more, he returns a compliment of his own, and she ruffles with pleasure. "Why, thank you. Under the tail it's not quite so perky, mind you." Again the words simply fall out without any coaxing from her, and this time she is ashamed. Oversharing much?! True as it is - because one doesn't push out five children and retain the lady-bits of a two-year-old - she didn't need to say it. "...you didn't need to know that."

Dominus chooses that moment to return, his white muzzle stained crimson and a deer's shin-bone clutched between his teeth. He presses against Nyx's legs, smearing her silver skin with blood, then settles down to chew on his bone and eye Déodat. She rolls her eyes and looks back to the blood-bay as he speaks of his children. By two different woman - the notion isn't surprising to Nyx. He is a stallion after all, and stallions are not monogamous. Not normal ones, anyway. They have harems, sow their seed far and wide, and the silver soldier sees it as only natural. The sight of horse couples make her skin itch. They aren't swans, to mate for life.

At his question, she chuckles. "Little man? Size matters, Déodat." Ah, the innuendo. "But no, I have no husband. I lived in a traditional herd, you see, where the leading stallion changed regularly and sired his foals with the herd's mares before being kicked out by somebody stronger." She sighs at the memory. "So I suppose you could say your second option is more accurate, and indeed, they had to be mighty. I do not allow myself to be covered by the weak - each king had to defeat me in battle before I consented to bear his children. Bedding feeble men produces feeble foals, whereas strong men produce strong foals." She is very much a survival of the fittest sort of woman, and it puzzles her that the Edge's two kings seem to show no interest in covering any of the herd's mares. Do they not want to create their legacy, create a herd of strong foals who will grow up to be loyal soldiers? Apparently not. Weirdos. "I admit I miss having a foal at foot, but I haven't yet met a Helovian worthy." Archibald had defeated her, but he didn't seem the sort to want to sire a child with a relative stranger.

Déodat can hear her speak more. At first it is a simple comment, but what comes next shocks him enough to raise both brows. It takes a second or so for him to realize his jaw has dropped a bit. There is still amusement painted across his face despite it all. Ultimately, he laughs it off. “I can’t say I know how to respond to that one,” he says through his laughter. The mare does have a tendency to overshare, but that is her nature he supposes. Nothing wrong with an open book, it simply remains out of his own nature. Or she maybe Nyx has a taste for more crude humor. Either way, it doesn’t bother him and he continues to shrug it off with laughter.

The familiar face of Nyx’s white lion approaches. Blood staining his muzzle. A look he is all too familiar with his own companion. Déodat glances at the lion with a look of amusement for a moment. But his focus turns to Nyx as she speak. Her first comment elicits a smirk. Of course it matters he tells himself. Then she describes her former life. Part of him finds the description to be… Barbaric. There is no structure and puts them only slightly above wolves. His own parents had been a mated pair. A single unit pulled together by “love”, a concept more than foreign to him. Then she mentions they had to defeat her battle. What a peculiar method of courtship, but he knows it is the only way to weed out the weak from the strong.

“Well, I might not necessarily be worthy… But I’m never opposed to a friendly spar,” he says nonchalantly.

@[Nyx]
con by aihnna@dA

@[Déodat] are you ready for them to have their spar? C:

She snorts chilly air out of her nostrils - well, at least he doesn't judge her for her verbal diarrhea! She has a tendency to speak before she thinks, and her razor edged tongue is usually gilded with brazen vulgarity. It is simply how she is. She doesn't mince her words, and social etiquette sometimes comes a distant second behind her ability to put her metaphorical foot in it.

His words have her ears pricking forwards, standing erect atop her storm-tossed mane. One hoof paws the ground in anticipatory delight - a spar? With this handsome fellow? "I'll take you up on that," she says, and is there a certain husky hiss behind her voice? Sweaty, slapping flesh, ragged breaths, blood pouring from bay and grey skin alike...her tail swishes and Dominus gives a disapproving growl in her general direction. She loves fighting, and the idea of fighting with a particularly attractive man..."And who knows what prize you'll get if you manage to defeat me?" Don't say that! But it's too late - her tongue races in front of her brain, yet somehow she's not even sorry. Who knows what she'd do if he bested her? If he proved his strength, his dominance, his power over her, as all men should...

She's damn near drooling at the thought of combining her beloved battle with something even more primal, and quickly shakes herself out of it. "Now?" she questions. Does he need time to prepare? Should they set a date? Her tense muscles twitch at the very thought, and her emotions sizzle down to her white lion, whose claws dig hard into the icy sod in bloodthirsty anticipation.