Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

M A R E N

" I'm all out of breath
my walls are closing in
Come back to the end
the shepherd of the damned. "

Mist lingered around her in the night's greys, leaving the forest' sounds behind in a mere hollow echo. In the white haze the lights of the fireflies dimmed or flared, dissapearing on turn in the mist. She looked how it curled, grew and moved - even though it was nothing but a cloud, a wet smokescreen in this cozy summer night. It had taken her a week - a week to notice, until she had finally realized it had been her the whole time, controlling them. She had been gifted. A gift from her Gods; telling her she was on the right path. Whatever path of life in whatever direction that was suppose to be. But did it matter - as she was apparently on her way to succeed in finding her Purpose; the 'must' in a fulfilling live, according to the Church of the Cherry Oak. Five years later and she still hadn't found hers. All these emotional hazards later; confusion, heart-break, finding a home, jumping into a job she already did for another God. And now her God had gifted her. But why?

The why was the coal, the wood for the burning thoughts in her eyes, meanwhile her mind - heart - soul, being searched, emptied, shaken upside down, torn apart to be glued back together... To find that reason for that one why: Why did her own Gods encourage her to be the disciple for another? Why. WHY?

The leaves in he holy garden rushed, ran as a new gust came around. The branches of the Cherry Oak swayed. Fire red roses grew between its mighty roots, always in the shadows. In the tree acorns hang, also swaying - but never falling, their shields gleaming in the sunlight. And there was silence. No lullaby's and no answers to be found here.

What would become of her if she continued on? She was no hero, that was certain - and it seemed to be the only thing. Where there was sun, there was shadow. Life was meant to find a Purpose in. She had never felt like this. She was supposed to be an anchor, caring, steady, all-knowing. In the greys of the night the tigermare held her wings stretched like hands before her eyes. But they would not be the kind of hands to hold on to, as disarray was what would sprout from hands which hold both darkness and light.

She needed the holy Cherry Oak's approvement, but the Old Lands were forlorn. And she was nothing she was supposed to be, so what was there for her to hold on to?

Maren had let herself glide in the long wet grass, next to the bark of an old Laurel oak and let her head rest on the crusty wood. Night's comforting temperatures stroke her red-striped skin. Tired, but eyes wide open. Above her head a halo shone while walls of mist were building up around her. The mare was left in confusion, as the road of belief often was.

But not for her. And that was what made her uncertain.

@[Rei] || Notes: || Wordcount: 509 || "talking" ||

Please tag me 
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
Conviction, and crusades, are like that—brief bonfires that flare in the darkness of the night, burning hot and bright, until they've consumed everything.. and leave you as tired and empty as before, nothing but ashes and faintly glowing embers left on the ground.

And he felt like he had burned up in the furnace of his own emotions, rocketed skywards for a moment, borne by revelation until the air grew too thin and he fell back down again. He hadn't meant for that to happen—he hadn't meant to think about it, to.. admit something to himself. It was the kind of honesty that, once you had consciously allowed yourself to acknowledge it, just wouldn't go away. Rather, by acknowledging it, it grabbed him by the neck and began tossing him about, setting some kind of fire in his veins and burning up his carefully hoarded energy reserves.

"Shit," he spat into the foggy night, something hoarse in his voice. He hadn't meant for it to end up this way, and it.. he wasn't angry with himself, more like, disappointed. Hadn't he known that he would need to control it? To, carefully, hold on to it? Because he knew how it went, fire-bright and hot? He had come so far.. he had come so far out of his pitch-dark hole, carefully climbed the mountain towards the open sky, careful to stop and rest, and then—wham. There he was, lying somewhere on those treacherous slopes, winded and tired and staring at the stars and thinking that, really, it would be nice to just.. topple over the side.. fall back down into the cushioning, soul-sucking darkness.

All because he had been a fool and, somewhere along the road, allowed himself to think a certain thought, and then he had burned up and here he was, straying through the forest near the Edge because he didn't dare go in again. He didn't dare face her, knowing what he knew about himself. Because another reason he hadn't wanted to admit it to himself was that—he was content with what he had, with what they had. He didn't want anything to change.

But by being aware, something had changed, for better or for worse, and he knew nothing and it could.. it could drive them apart.

He felt older than his years, worn, stretched thin, as if someone had pulled him taut and then he'd snapped and now it was all loose ends and fragments, nothing coherent enough to form a whole.

Mauja stopped. Drew a deep breath, fog drawn into his lungs, the water droplets disappearing in the heat of his body—breathed out a cloud of white, for once shaped by something else and not the chill of his magic. Did it have to matter? Did it.. did it matter, at all? Like.. like.. what did he even want? That he already didn't have? Some foolish words, when the truth was spelled out in silent language already?

Or just confirmation—a promise to dodge the pain? To know the he wasn't just fooling himself?

He was moving again, a restless ghost in the fog, whispering "hálfviti," under his breath, and then—

"Engill," the fluid movement slowing, ceasing, until he stood grounded in the mist, just as ethereal as she but less aware of it.

For there, in the thick drapes of the fog, stood a creature with a halo of light above her delicate head.

Angel.

[ you looked lonely <3 @[Maren] ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264

M A R E N

" I'm all out of breath
my walls are closing in
Come back to the end

Fireflies danced on her retina, were only blurred flickering lights that thoughtful, troubled eyes kept finding in its vision. They were like thoughts; light on an off - on and off, in this summer night were sleep would not come to those with thoughts and puzzles incompleted. But she felt like she'd lost some puzzle-pieces along the way, so then sleep would never come? What would she need for it to come back to her without needing those vital corner-pieces? Or did they just lay hidden in this maze of adventure and wandering and did she only needed to explore it, to find herself either trapped or discover salvation. Wanderers were gamblers, but this was not a wandering matter. This was faith: Faith was not a gamble, for she couldn't get it right or wrong. It was simply there; knotted to the core of her heart and mind, woven through her body and soul.

She blinked as the fireflies danced on and pushed away complicated thoughts with simpler of words. "I will get myself a glass jar..." the tigermare whispered. "And catch you." and then silence laced itself once again to the ending of her words. A shiver slithered over her body. For silence there was, in these clouded grey woods - and silence was also the nights' companion. Breaking it somehow seemed like a treachery. But as silence was just that; you wouldn't ever hear it complain.

Rustling and the breathing of a creature decided to break that ancient bond of the night, as in these modern times they all seemed to be rebelling against nature. Her head turned in an uncomfortable way, just to be able to keep her seat in the throne under the old oak, pressing her back and neck against its old, crispy bark as the roots winded around her. Looking up from under her white lashes; big eyes gleaming through the night's colors, it at first felt like he just flew at her. Like a white horned crow, maybe; or a swan, slowly drawing closer by flapping wings he didn't have. Then the wings vanished and he just stood there, stood there as if he was about to set root himself - or as if he already had, back in those ancient times, long ago. She thought him big and huge, as she currently didn't have the perspective to think otherwise, laying hoof-in hoof-out on the ground. His coat was pale with flecks, flecks which made her think of fireflies that may just have randomly clashed into him, stupidly being crushed by themselves as their fires got extinguished by the coldness - turning to ash on his icy hide. Somehow being embraced by the white mist suited him. Unknowingly she let the mists dance and thicken around this obscure being - and then let the cloak fall away slowly, as if unwrapping a present, for she wanted to finally see.

She blinked as droplets of light fell through her vision, leaking from the circle of light above her head. A halo that crept along with every one of her movements, an idle thing that symbolizes who she was so that she never could escape from herself. As much as it proved her everlasting sanctuary, this night was the first night in a long time she simply felt chained. And it ruined her, for she was not meant to feel the way she did, for she was the one who needed to enlighten others in their religion. How could she, if she was trapped in her own maze?

The tigermare glared at him, laying down on the moist soil and glimmering grass, pondering if she needed to get up on her hooves in order to not appear rude. Then again, it was night-time, which was the time most but the troubled or most devious slept. Her sleeping happened its biggest part laying down, so maybe she would just let him deal with it. The longer she stared, however, the more she began to wonder if he was even real - if the memory of him drawing closer had been just an illusion, after all. She wanted to say something to him, just to prove to herself that he was real, but she also felt the silence of the night pressing her willingness to do so. And thus, with her ears curled towards the wanderer and her wings slightly awakened from their moment of relaxation, her lips parted - and then closed again; anti-climax. But she did want him to come closer, as her interest was peaked. So she spread her feathered hands, low, under the line of her ears; hoping he would get the hint that it was a welcoming sign - not a warning, and certainly not an embrace. For he was a pleasant distraction.
Then she remembered his odd sounding words.

"What?" she whispered.

@[Mauja] || Notes: ; v ; || Wordcount: 809 || "talking" ||

Please tag me 

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
I am exhausted in a mind numbing sort of way. Yet sleep still evades me. There is a siren call drawing me to the land of slumber where dreams happily frolic. But no matter how my lids droop with the weight of being awake I have not been able to sleep. Lightning bugs are my company for the night and they light my weary steps. A few land on my mane and congregate there. A murmur of a laugh comes from my mouth as one of the bugs drinks from my raindrop charm. "You guys just make yourselves at home." Even the dancers of the night's ballet are able to find rest. I tread softly with the hope of not interrupting my new friends.

I am too tired from the day's exploring to fly back home to the Throat for rest so with my befriended lightning bugs in tow I find a comfy place to spend the night. Not long after I settle voices break the quietness that has draped around me since the sun set.

The stallion speaks strange words and I wonder if my sleep deprived brain only garbled his speech. I am filled with relief whenever the other voice questions his meaning. I may be tired but my sanity remains!

Moving a tad less sluggish I amble towards the voices. First the stallion comes into view. My eyes move from spot to spot as more of his body comes into view. My exploration of his appearance ends at the point of a horn. Looking to his companion a grin made crooked by my tiredness comes across my face.

The stallion is talking to the intriguing mare, with wings on her brow, that I had met before. What a pair they make. Him with his intriguing words and she with her intriguing wings. I want to know more about both and where they come from.

The stallion grows more and more handsome The closer that I come to him. Standing at his side I wink at the mare I think is called Maren. "I hope that I am not interrupting a moonlit meeting made by lovers." I laugh jokingly but a large part of me wants to play match maker.

OOC: I am so sorry for the wait Yew! @[Maren] @[Mauja]
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.
Ascended Helovian

Stood was, he realized after a moment, a rather incorrect way of describing the situation. The delicate mare laid among the roots of an oak, cradled and sheltered (or perhaps lain up for sacrifice), but not asleep, no. The light of her halo, the thing which had drawn him, shifted only marginally as she peered at him, and whatever budding guilt his mind might've begun to develop was swept away by the gentle breeze. He had ruined nothing with his presence—perhaps tarnished some scenic perfection, cast a shadow through the fog, a shadow over a heart, but..

Wasn't all of life like that? Irrevocably altering everything you came upon—for better or for worse? And there was no way to know, no way to tell how it would fall out. The most careful of preparations could lead to the most disastrous results, and the most impulsive things could lead to the most wondrous ones.

He wonders if he'll ever get to savor that.

It was all theory, anyway, that anything could happen at any time, for any reason, with or without precursors; a giant star could fall from the sky any moment and incinerate them all.

Or he'd say some key words to a key character figuring upon the stage of his mind, and either his world would explode or.. explode, anyway, for different reasons. It was just one of those things, and the reason he was frustrated with himself—because the fragile balance had been upset, and no matter what he did now, something had to actively change. He couldn't just sink back beneath the surface and pretend to forget what he couldn't.

The fog was thickening around him. One black-rimmed ear flicked in the murky night, blue eyes sweeping an arc over the tree-lined horizon; was he being greeted, embraced by it, or hidden, told to get lost? Perhaps the angel he had found, her halo a silver-shimmer in the night, did not want company. Perhaps she desired to be alone, lying upon her cold bed of mortal soil, and contemplating whatever sin (bah) she had committed in order to get thrown out of heaven by the select, righteous few—bah, again.

Mauja was as much a fallen angel as anyone, and barely religious at all; what he knew of faiths full of angels and light and heavenly realms all reeked of hypocrisy, and something that bordered on complacent populations. The promise of "heaven" for a good life was just a thin disguise, a gold casing for the sharp-tongued whip.

Besides, there were no angels here.

Just Mauja and a mare, the fog pulling back, her voice whispering what? and he looked at her kind of blankly, wondering what she was wondering about. What he had said? (Well, what had he said?) Who he was? What he was doing here? Why he was just standing there, some other specter in the fog, and looking at her? (Because it was kinda creepy, now that he thought about it.)

Oh, and look—she had spread her wings for him all of her own accord. It curved his lips into the slightest of smiles, though for a moment it was tinged with something bitter, and dark.

What sort of idiot goes around asking little girls to spread their wings? Gods. The Mauja kind of idiot. Ever since that day he'd been suspended in some weird state of terrorizing himself with bad thoughts and it seemed like it went on even now. The smile faded into a brief grimace, visible for barely more than a heartbeat before it disappeared into the snow.

But barely did he have time to shed his own problems and intrusive thoughts that another presence broke the stillness (when had she come so close, without him noticing?). Steel-blue eyes snapped from the intriguing mare to the newcomer—spotted, just like he, just like Myrrine (can I stop thinking about her?), and what she said as she so brazenly stood next to him had him torn between the desire to play along, and the desire to smack her. That fire didn't need more fuel.

"If you were, there probably would've been some kind of noises to discourage you," he muttered under his breath instead, tail fanning out once in the night to lash against his hocks.

The serenity was ruined—that odd feeling of walking in a dream, the halo-mare less celestial, more real—and replaced with something that made him feel out of place, and uncomfortable.

The world was a cruel place.

[ @[Maren], @[Rei], Secret Garden - Nocturne ]

M A R E N

" I'm all out of breath
my walls are closing in
Come back to the end

Her mind laid open and naked, wounded by uncertainty and doubt. And she lay defenseless in this clouded night, disturbed by this ancient stranger, who had yet to reveal his authenticity. Maren looked back, blinking – for she was real – as the tigermare's one-worded sentence quickly changed from being a valid sound, to a memory that could easily be forgotten to have ever been spoken at all, and so the night's parade continued to march between them. But she didn't mind, for Maren only welcomed him because of the serenity that he managed to project. She wasn't sure if she could handle anything else right now, wasn't sure what would happen if she herself decided to speak in sentences consisting out of more words than just that one.

The ash-flecked stallion simply stood there. Motionless like a statue while mist kept slowly cringing away from him – but always looking at her. A shiver ran again over her spine. This time not from the shattering of silence, but his eyes: His eyes silver as frozen lake-water, seemed just like that; a frozen lake. A shield of ice and the snow that covered it, letting nothing in or out.
Somehow it made him all the more divine.

This night had been flushed with nothing but silence, but then suddenly ripples had started to form on the surface and slowly it had all started to move, made reflections break down into unrecognizable pieces as what mattered got pulled away by the growing current.

The tigermare's body slightly tensed as she broke through the mists – her wall, her fortress. There was no time for Maren to even consider letting down the gates willingly, for she had pushed through them as if she hadn't even noticed they were there. As if they had no purpose.

Her mind's eye looked up to see the dead-end of a maze. And again, she became aware of her open wounds, felt the stinging doubt and the chain above her head becoming heavier with the unknown. In her mind she ran away. And as if it followed the rules of a dream, she was suddenly back at the garden; the garden where flaming red roses grew in the shadows of the Great Oak. They hadn't withered yet, but the burgundy leaves had turned a darker shade, leaned ruefully against each other, folded and less plump than ever. She stared with a feeling of detachment.

It was Rei – or at least she thought that was her name; a simple citizen of the Throat, her mind couldn't help adding. She bore no duties, had probably not made any stupider choices in her life than barging through Maren's impalpable castle doors – Had no chains on her mortal body and free mind. Of course she couldn't know and was it she, Maren, being the foolish one this time. The tigermare's glare had now moved away from the silent stallion and kept still on Rei (Rei?) – even though she could still see both without moving her head, as the mare had decided to halt next to the Stained One. The part of her mind she was unaware of, couldn't help but be slightly jealous of the grin she carried. Now watching them stand there, together, made her almost suggest that she might be his long lost daughter, as they both wore the coats that made the tigermare's mind wonder about the well-being and safety of the unwitting fireflies hoovering over these lands. Or I could get myself a bigger jar. Again; somewhere she still hoped she could just chase away her problems by creating an easier one.

As the widely grinning Rei proved to be very subtle, she winked; a very quick open – and closing of the eyelids; something which pretty much always carried a sexually-charged kind of message. Maren simply answered with an icy stare. Ignoring Rei's suggesting nonsense and stupidity. Her laugh broke the night's code first, and then her more-than-one-word sentences broke it again. Somehow she couldn't help but feel pity for the poor mare's unawareness of the serene, quiet mood and what she was doing.

The stallion, however, decided to point out the obvious – and with that also proving that he was not a statue and was not divine. The only pathetic thing left to question were the flecks of ash on his hide. (which she still thought suspicious) After all, this kind of sarcasm could only grow from earthly sprouts – From being mortal, living a life and having wishes and craving certain needs.

So even though the thought of these needs did in fact distract her from the puzzle-pieces laying in her mind (for she hadn't had it in ages) she wasn't quit sure if she welcomed the mental images. This world was a cruel place.

Nevertheless her thoughtful eyes had laid locked-on on the broad-shouldered, ash-flecked handsome as he spoke – more like, muttered. Her brains cringed, had kept swirling itself around those images while walking itself through the pro's and con's. Meanwhile her heart watched with a frown. Than came the conclusion: As if that ever were to happen with that old-ass of a stallion, which did take a little longer than needed. But nevertheless with a still unchanged, slightly cold expression, her glare jumped from the unicorn to the pegasus. "IF... we were.", she added whispering with a slightly irritated undertone, with the purpose of just wanting to underline that part of the stallion's statement and hoping to have now cleared the nonsense from also Rei's mind.

As she looked at the grinning mare, however, she felt a vivid sting in her stomach. For she was just one silly mare, of all the Throat, that the tigermare was letting down by questioning her duty as a Disciple. Wouldn't Rei need guidance - preferably sooner than later? She took a breath along with a mouthful of guilt, that had returned to her in growing heaps, and looked away from the petite pegasus' dark mask, back to the cold, emotion-lacking stare of the stallion; for those seemed more the kind of eyes that would keep quiet – would not shimmer and sparkle with anticipation and expectations, like she imagined Rei's would.

Hallelujah, she was ashamed. She needed to goddamn fix herself, or soon there would be no honor left for her.

But the tigermare could simply not find the words, for what she had left was just a desperate, sinful need for someone to fix it for her. But they couldn't - No one could, but she herself. So she just bit her tongue.

– @[Rei], @[Mauja] || Notes: || Wordcount: 1086 || "talking" ||

Please tag me 

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei

"I spoke in jest," in part I feel deflated by their reactions. I feel like the court jester tossed unprepared into the presence of kings and queens. I wince at the thought of saying more yet shy away from the thought of saying nothing more. I look from one face to the other with not a smile in sight; it is a stark realization that chases my own away.

This was not how I had imagined our meeting to play out. Looking back from where I came from I wonder if it would be more enjoyable to simply turn around and call this quits. But suddenly the night around us is heavy and I don't want to be out in it alone. The lightning bugs that had seemed so playful earlier now only seem to taunt me. Their little legs tug on my hair and their flashes of light seem like gaudy interruption of the night.

I pout slightly at the situation I have found myself to be in. There will be no playing matchmaker with this pair as I so love to do. I am not sure that I could even manage to slip a laugh from either's lips. Although they fail to speak Maren and the stallion seem to have stolen away my own words. My mottled lips are as tight as theirs now, and I do not like it.

"Is.." I prepare to ask my question like a cautious pup, "Is everything okay?" The hesitancy in my voice annoys me but the pair that had looked to be great friends to be are now intimidating. Even my posture as I ask my question is hesitant. My head is lowered slightly with eyes looking from those I question back to the ground and my wings are clasped so tightly against my body that I can feel my wing muscles beginning to ache. But I have to ask them; I cannot leave this spot until I am sure that everything is okay. After all, why else would they be so.. closed off towards a joke or two? Standing a little taller I try to figure out the pair that I find myself wishing that I wouldn't have stumbled upon.

@[Maren] @[Mauja]
image credits
- table by Niki -
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.
Ascended Helovian

The air seemed heavier, weighing in around them, around him, pressing in from every direction. It was colder and thicker in his lungs, closing in around heart and mind, pregnant with the angel's irritation and the intruder's hurt—standing next to her he could practically feel the doors closing around her thoughts, and the small, twinkling flame of her mischief going out in the face of these cold beings she had found. He shifted, a creature carved from ice and marble, one pale blue eye settling on her spotted body, confidence caving in beneath ribs and flesh. Had he helped do this? She had come with, he guessed, good intentions, maybe a little lonely on this foggy night, stumbling along blindly like the rest of them, groping for the fireflies in the dark because they were the only points of light.

And she'd found an ice revenant and a sleeping angel, none of them mortal enough for her humor—but was it her fault that she had found a stranger and accidentally punched him straight in his weak spot? Was it her fault that her words had been about the only thing Mauja actually feared about himself? The one thing that whenever it happened, just happened, even against his better judgment (because let's be fair, it's pretty much always been)?

Was it her fault?

No.

She didn't know him; couldn't have known, still didn't but maybe she had a hunch, pulling back into herself as if they'd bitten her face. He felt a flash of guilt needling its way through his heart, and his head tilted, slow and steady, until both of his eyes had locked onto her through a curtain-veil of silken white hairs. She had come in, full of confidence and life, and with a single, heavy sentence he had helped to reduce her to this, black-and-white embers gone out long ago. If he breathed on them, could the fire spark back into life?

Or did they have to wait for the sun with all its heat to warm her heart again?

Why the fuck do I even care?

(Because you're Mauja, the Light of Dawn, the faux-angel whose only wings are of pure light; the shadow across the face of the sun.)

"Is everything okay?" she finally asked of them, her shy voice more in tune with the night now, a white cloud breathed into the serenity, but it's ruined for him anyway, the dream shattered in a shower of glass fragments, and the mare lying among the roots of an oak is no angel. She smelled of life, of dust and dirt and the sea's salt, of blood and flesh and feathers. Mauja's crowned head strained against the weight of the night sky, as if he could somehow escape up into it, through the fog and leaves and into the stars, abandoning this meeting and how it had gone all wrong from the get-go. Night-time rambles never ended up the way they ought, tripping over roots and hearts and scraping knees and souls. Slowly, because what use were more words now?, did he shake his large head, white hair waving with the solemn motion. No. Everything was not okay. He was tired and terrified and there was a definite vein of irritation threading through the air—and with a single sentence he had helped push the spotted mare into the dirt.

I'm sorry.

But he wasn't strong enough to spit the words out.

[ @[Maren] @[Rei] ]

M A R E N

" I'm all out of breath
my walls are closing in
Come back to the end

The world around her was in motion. Upwards or downwards, she couldn't tell in the darkness of her unknowing mind. For all details were gone. All details... Except those two individuals that seemed to be opposites – but then also almost the same – in her tired eyes. What could she tell them; what would they want to hear? They were all just silent, portraying an awkward bunch of fools standing stupidly at a time most slept. Except those who she had just called troubled.

Purposeless mists were slowly thinning out while valueless time ticked away.

Did that mean they were all, then, troubled? Them: A group of silent care-seeking twits that needed physical treatment? Then wouldn't this be the perfect time to start a talking-group – Would Rei even still want to talk to her after she had ignored her mostly and spat out bruising words – words that had made her one of the Silent? In jest. She had spoken in jest. No. Fun? Fun – playfulness, did not exist, here, in this place surrounded by fireflies; not right now. Because nothing hilarious could spin from a maze-trapped suppose-to-be guardian angel and a ice-prince that was not even divine. Apparently all that could come from them was silence.
...But not from her.

"Is everything okay?"

The words scratched over the lull's surface once more, but more gentle now, a delicate, careful hesitance to her voice. Something so angelic, sweet and pure – which she herself would never be able to reach or become. Maybe Rei was the one divine here. Maybe Rei was the only one worthy of sitting between the fireflies to see the beauty of the night, and question its purpose. Maybe Maren should just go away, for her doubt and uncertainty were only left with the purpose of staining those pure marble whites with their shadowed sins.

Then everything that had been falling into a blur just... got weirder, reflecting in her brain as particles that were glimmering pieces of dust and shattered glass. So maybe she was already gone beyond repair, for everything in her insides grew colder and colder with guilt as her pinching eyes glared at Rei's crawling, as if she would just... rather not be here. Alas, so Rei was no angel. And the white-dotted prince was no holy prophet - No archangel, either. And she...? She was just Maren; wickedly tainted by that what she failed to understand and being crushed under its pressure. She was wounded, a shattered being held together by a body that felt numbed.

Maren swallowed, pupils growing bigger as her golden eyes lay on the mare. Is everything okay, the not-an-angel asked. Is everything okay?

Ah... Such a dangerous question.

Having finally processed the words, something deep inside her just wanted to laugh, because this kind of irony was totally her ally of humor...– But then she remembered that there was no fun here. Not now, not this night. Not with three troubled musketeers huddled together, awkwardly. Tonight there was only coldness creeping over her skin and embracing her muscles as she felt that horrible horrible guilt; the sword that hang silently shimmering from her chest, waiting to be pulled out. Because the venom of doubt that had sweat from the blade had turned her thoughts of strength and courage to foam.

So what could she do? Burst into song? Tell... NoSing to Rei that everything was alright; Humming how the flowers still bloomed in color and that the world was still so beautifully detailed and-not-a-blur and that the clouds still had their funny forms and figures – And that everything would continue to be alright in the forever eternity that would follow after today. She would sing it with a smile on her flirting face on a happy rhythm that would be composed and played by the forest and would turn the songs of birds to shame.

And then what? It would just be another lie. As it was she would be, after all, lying and lying and lying to her as a Disciple for so many more times. This. This was just one lonely question. One question seeking truth – like they all did. And the tigermare simply couldn't bare to not save that one lonely truth from her Mount Everest of Lies; a mountain that was a veil, already covering the world with its darkness. And it would only continue on to swallow all purity that was left in it.

So not now, not yet. In the embrace of the night she knew how easy it was to just give her this one simple truth, and let it wash over her cold skin. So the tigermare glanced at Rei, with eyes of chaos and unknowing feeling herself fall away further and further between the roots. Somewhere deep she knew that she would need someone to either pull her back up into the light, or someone to catch her when she would fall down into that pit of darkness.
Thus far the best thing about this night was the silence of those damned fireflies. And yet it continued to be broken. She knew that Rei deserved nothing else than the truth. But truths were just as much taints as lies. Just as much a bother as lies where, and just as heavy pressing on a mind. So she immediately regretted it when she felt the air around her growing thick and heavy and her neck grow warm and cold with transpiration. Was everything okay?

"No", she said, a rasp marking the voice of a troubled mortal. No.

Biting emotions and prickling thorns of dying roses colored her mind black, blue and red as the tigermare lay there under that oak-tree surrounded by fireflies. She swallowed a chunk of air awkwardly as her wings folded themselves around her cheeks, easing her mental pain. She was looking at Rei, wondering in awe what the mare would do now, now that she had that information; that heavy shitload that that one idiotic word could barf. She had not wanted to put it on her, but she had, nevertheless, because the greater good – or something.

No, I am just that selfish.

Embraced by guilt and that rare care she felt for the dotted mare, she had almost forgotten about the King in the mist. But perhaps the stallion did not mind being forgotten. For he had that frozen lake of ice that covered him and made him be one of the Silent, made him be one of the Troubled, too – And from own experience she thought that the Troubled did not like to be troubled, at all, really.

Still, Maren could not help but feel the sudden need… The sudden wish to all huddle together in a nice, cozy hug. For maybe... Maybe that was all that those damned troubled needed: The charade of warmth and that all would be alright – or at least for tonight.

But she wouldn't dare ask. Wouldn't dare let her lips form the word hug, even though she craved for one so badly, as she felt -helpless and stupid and silly and worthless- instead.

@[Rei], @[Mauja] || Notes: lots and lots of rambling :\ || Wordcount: 1179 || "talking" ||

Please tag me