the Rift

[OPEN] Into the jungle!

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

Haruki sits on my flanks as I trot away from the Basin. I'm happy that I visited there, but I can't help but wonder if they're all a little unfriendly there. Maybe I just didn't meet the right inhabitants? There are always a few grumpy folks wherever you go, right? Haruki chirrups behind me and sends warm feelings, noticing my mixed reaction to the Aurora Basin. My small dark hooves find their way through the sparse grasses and spotty snow patches as I head south. I must find out where else I need to explore, and who else I need to meet!

----

It takes a little time to get to the next hidden land, but not as long as crossing all of Helovia like when I went to the ocean! THAT took a long time. Haruki sees me picturing the ocean, the big stallion and the pretty singing mare. But he meets my mental images with one of his own - the land ahead! He refocuses my attention, and I see a rocky path before us, leading down into some sort of valley. Next to the path is a great waterfall. Is this... This has to be one of the herd lands, but I don't know its name. I start down the path, assuming that I'll run into someone along the way. That's how it usually works when you travel into a new place. The locals tend to notice!

The path is very tricky, and I let Haruki jump down to navigate it himself. I don't want to fall and hurt him in the process. He makes his own way down, and I keep my black and pink wings spread, trying to balance myself as I maneuver the trail. Gravel, rocks, loose dirty and roots, all obscuring the easy way down and leaving me quite unsure of myself. The Basin had its Sentinels - this place has a treacherous road! I guess they all have their means of making it a little difficult to get in. Stones slip beneath my toes and I slide down a yard or two. A sharp whinny slips my lips in panic and Haruki yaps after me, worried. I steady myself, but I can feel my heart thumping in my pale chest as I try to reach the bottom in one piece. When I am full grown I will make sure to FLY into this place, not walk down the path. I have no desire to do this multiple times!

""
@[Africa], @[Zahra], + any others who wish to join and meet Tempe. She's exploring the herds :) Also, posting order is lie.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Zahra Posts: 64
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15hh :: 2 Years
Hanna :: Common Kitsune :: Fire & Ilham :: Bark Spider :: None Riven

A week has passed by already and you are growing stronger all the time. The gangly legs beneath your slim frame no longer stagger clumsily when you will them forward, there is a pleasant smoothness to each stride now and you are learning the art of haste. Often childish excitement overwhelms your calm demeanour, and you leap and frolic erratically from the safe, dappled flank you have come to depend upon. Though you are careful never to slip out of your mother’s view - ever obedient - curiosity has become a key quality in your personality and every day you find something new which challenges your interest.

It is afternoon and you stir from sleep as your mother’s long bristly whiskers tickle your cheek. The reassurance of her warm breath upon you incites a fond smile and your tiny, tapering mouth lifts to bump playfully her lowered nose. She tells you gently that it is time to drink and steps from your reach - perhaps as a lure to encourage you to stand. There are already many words tucked into the repertoire of your mind and you rise eagerly from the soft bed in the den. Without hesitation you manoeuvre across straw towards the mare’s twitching flank and the reeking hue of warm, leaking milk welcomes your arrival. Eagerly you dip your fine skull beneath and the short fuzz of tail behind portrays easily your delight.

Soon the supply begins to weary, but you have been well satisfied.

Meals always make you groggy, and you lean heavily against the flesh of the mare to gather back some strength. Unwearyingly she waits, fondling affectionately the lean, downy ears upon your skull, and your narrow head bounces beneath her touch, thoughts vague though assembling. She tells you with a firm tone that she needs to find grass, and your pale yellow eyes glance thoughtfully about – you often confuse her food with other things green and for that reason say nothing. Always you are learning. The world is intimidating, but you have no better teacher. You trust your mother, and listen steadily whenever she pauses to explain. You are fond of her voice, the manner of her instruction, and she seems not to pass by any detail.

Similarly, you have learned to follow your father on brief ventures beyond the den – he is patient, lenient and never holds you from the caress of your mother for long.

She strides forward and each of your scrawny legs swing into motion in a bold effort to match her elegant gait. Always one ear of hers is trained down towards you, and you glance up frequently to find her encouragement as you step alongside. It takes more self-discipline than you possess to hold such composure for any length, and before long you are springing away – bucking frivolously and cavorting, as the sunlight warms your coat. Your mother does not slow, she is headed towards the central pasture and your intention of course is to follow, but a scrabble behind you and an unexpected cry snag your attention.

Your body stills in a heartbeat and you lift your nose into the air like you have seen your father do (not yet however, have you learned to test for the scent of another). Eyes sparkle with intrigue as the sunlight spikes their golden-midst – you can see movement near the cliffs. Your mother warned you to not stray that close to the border and you hesitate visibly, dithering as your conscience and your curiosity war. You do not want to violate the rules she has set. Tiny nostrils sink to blow against the soil path beneath you, but your eyes and your ears remain fixed towards the clatter. Your skin flinches with anticipation, it is unbearable, wild and you have not the life experience to understand reason.

Rapidly you break towards the cliff - you are fearless and pure.

Hidden Account
T E M P E

I reach the bottom of the path, trying to calm my heart as it pounds in my small frame. Wings are definitely going to be my best friend, I can tell. Well, besides Breccan and Haruki. I pick up a lighthearted trot, glancing down at Haruki to make sure that he has navigated the terrain as well. It seems he has, and I look up just in time to see an even smaller filly than I barreling toward me at what seems like the speed of light. I gasp and dart out of the way seconds before she ends up exactly where I was standing. My wings fling out to the side and Haruki jumps toward my legs, not sure whether to try to defend me or hide. My gold eyes focus on her form. A little pegasus, gold, white, black... all sorts of colors. Her eyes are yellow, kind of like mine. I cock my head to the side and step forward slowly, nostrils flaring as I try to breathe in her scent breaching the small distance between us.

"Um, hi! My name is Tempe." I smile, feeling myself perking up at seeing another filly who looks nearly the same age as myself. I reach down toward the little fox-like companion (I still don't know what he is) and nudge him out so she can see. "This is Haruki, my companion." He stays quiet, and I sense that he is nervous. Maybe he thinks she will trample him? I try to reassure him by nickering quietly. Surely her burst of energy was just to hear who was stumbling down the path. I tuck my colorful wings against my side and step forward, cautiously extending my soft, two-toned nose toward her frame, hoping she will meet me midway. "Who are you? What is this place?"

""
More than just Zahra! *tags randoms*

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Outcast

You feel elation as you sprint headlong towards rock and the thin cloud of dust that signals the point which has snared your interest. Though your wings are small and the primary feathers which will one day bear the weight of you in flight are still wrapped securely in frail grey sheaths, you fan each limb out to feel rushing air spill around them. It is a feeling you adore already and the tiny round hooves drumming beneath your approach skip and spring occasionally, all for the sake of juvenile delight. There are tree branches woven together above you and their glossy green foliage forms a pretty avenue; so too is cast a wicked web of shadow that wanders backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards, along the path you are taking. So light-headed do you feel, giddy and brazen that you forget to check your speed.

Ahead there grows the silhouette of another horse – and the first thing about her that really strikes your notice is her small size. Though taller than you, her curiously hued form pales in comparison to the looming existence of your father, and your long-legged mother in particular. It is well, because there are not many that pass by your den that stir your fancy in such a way. Unfortunately, it is too late before you remember that you must slow down your pace and with eyes widening in light of that error, you bounce and slide to a clumsy halt. In your favour the other horse has stepped from the course you were travelling, perhaps you might have collided if she had not been so swift-witted.

You realise quickly as you turn to view her that she has wings as well - feathered like your mother and your father – and flashes of startling pink draw your tiny quivering nose closer. There seems to be another creature tangled between her legs. It is much smaller than anything you have seen already, and when you notice it in turn, your short, slim neck bows down towards the earth beneath you. Bright yellow eyes examine it curiously and unafraid, because you have been well protected for the length of your short life thus far. Sharp breaths catch wind of its unusual scent and your tiny, furry ears waver expressively. You are surprised by the contrast of it against the familiar waft of home as it instead fills your nostrils.

When your innocent examination dulls beneath failing attention, you glance back to the other like you, but you do not recognise the body language she offers.

Your diluted yellow gaze dances boldly between the golden pools upon her face – they are much like your fathers, though black streaks their centre. The warmth of gold you have learned to trust, and so you step a one long, thin leg nearer as does she; you mirror her example, flaring your paper-thin velvets, entirely oblivious to the breath she draws in the same gesture. As her mostly white expression lightens into a smile (the brightest points attract you, of course), you too smile – still following her lead. You have not yet developed social awareness, aptitude, and you mimic your company with childish precision.

Her lips part suddenly and a sound you are not expecting strikes your engrossed, picked ears. It does not sound like the humming caress of your mother, nor does it bear similarity to the masculine rumble of your father’s comfort – you think it strange, fascinating. “Tem-pe...” you copy artlessly, pulling the familiar sound of name out from the rest. Your mother has explained that word’s relevance – you have learned that “Da...” is the name of the stallion with the golden-gaze, your father; and “Ma...” is the name of the mare with the bright halo, your mother (both you think of aloud in the moment).

Your eyes trail the other filly’s in the meantime, as she guides you towards the little creature, but when she speaks this time no word pulls above the rest. Absorbedly you watch, waiting expectantly, and you glance naively about you to see if you have missed one like it – of your own. She moves though, extending her fine muzzle forward and with roused attention you do the same drawing unintentionally the delicate, alien fragrance that she carries. An exhilarated rumble stirs in your breast and your knobbly knees wobble above motionless hooves. When her voice rises through the tranquillity for the third time you are ready and eager to receive it, though your understanding still falls short, you derive the word you, and your lungs draw air in preparation to respond.

“Zah-a,” you tell her, practically beaming, and then again as a glorious wave of accomplishment bursts through your mind. “Zah-a!”

“Come!” Your voice is effervescent, cheerful, and her unannounced, unaccompanied arrival in your home does not seem to you, to be unusual. You turn lithely upon your toes, and your hocks unleash their small strength to propel you forward and away from the other – in your excitement you forget to look back – she will follow, of course. You weave a path between towering trees but stray unknowingly from the path, where grass thickens for a moment upon it. The scent of your mother – the guide you have been following – fades and you jerk to a standstill, turning hurriedly this way and that in an effort to recover it “Ma...” you whine, turning to find the filly you assume followed, and your body language is helplessly transparent, telling all about the confusion riddling your thoughts.

Permission given for all except death
Please only tag Zahra in openers and spars

Wishlist | The Spider-Silk Shoppe | Absences

Kipling Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Heading out for his daily amble into the Helovian wilds, Kipling encountered some activity at the border. This was not all that unusual - there was only one way to access the Hidden Falls for the flightless, so the borders were the site of plenty of commotion - but this sounded different than the standard coming and going that he had learned to recognize as “normal,” or at least what passed for normal in this strange, magical place. Kipling stepped into the dense trees, hiding himself behind a shield of lush greenery. From his vantage point, he watched a colorful pair of fledgling fillies greeting each other. He did not recognize either, although the smaller one painted in black and white and gold bore an obvious resemblence to Czar Midas.

Kipling found himself smiling as he watched them, enamored by their little conversation. He never had the chance to interact with another foal his age when he was growing up, and watching these two now filled him with genuine happiness. How he would have loved having some company – any friendship at all – when he was their age!

Just as Kipling had made up his mind to sneak around them and leave them to their fun, the one who had rudimentarily introduced herself as Zah-a (what an odd name) took off. Worry was a feeling that Kipling was distinctly unacquainted with, and his suddenly-pounding heart sent blood thundering painfully through his head. Something about watching them – still so little and precious and fragile – running like banshees sent him into a panic. Of course, he had done exactly the same thing when he was a colt, but he didn’t have to watch himself doing it. Seeing them from an outsider’s perspective was altogether terrifying.

Kipling leapt out onto the path and scurried after them, his long strides gaining rapidly. As quickly as she had taken off, Zah-a halted. Kipling stopped, too, suddenly placed in the awkward position of having followed uninvited. He twitched an ear back hesitantly, looking at the fillies again and realizing they had managed to weave themselves deep into the forest. Someone should get an adult to help… No, hang on. I think I’m the adult…? Confused, he drew a hoof uncomfortably through the undergrowth, mumbling an unhelpful explanation, “I, uh… I followed you. I’m Kipling, I live here. I think we’re lost? Please don’t panic! It will be fine. I’ll just… um… Let me think.” He finished helplessly, turning to study the vines and trees that suddenly all looked identical to one another. He did not think to comfort the youngsters – he was too fully consumed in the task of figuring out what they should do for reassurance to occur to him.

In the distance, the sound of the waterfalls offered Kipling his only clue. “Let’s go that way. Follow me,” He declared, walking in the direction of the noise, his confidence returning with the birth of a plan.

OOC: Assumed Tempe followed - let me know if you want me to change anything, Lauren. =)

Kipling
Photo Credit

Hidden Account
T E M P E

Her sooty nose sniffs at Haruki, trying to understand what he is, clearly. She seems much younger than I even realized initially, and my eyes are wide as I try to understand her in the way she tries to understand me. She doesn't seem to comprehend what I do at first. But after a second, it is like looking at a mirror: her muzzle moves as mine, her toes move as mine. I wonder, do our feathers align? Her youth - and I say that speaking as a 3 month old whippersnapper - becomes truly apparent when she tries to say my name. She does quite well, and though she speaks slowly she does not stumble. I wonder silently when she says 'Ma' and 'Da' exactly why she is speaking of her parents. I look over my shoulder, as if expecting her parents to be there. They aren't, however, and so I turn my visage back toward her with slight befuddlement. Her lips part to say what I assume is her own identity. 'Zah-a.' It's rather strange, but I've heard stranger I suppose, so I can learn that name. I repeat aft her with a smile. "Zah-a."

And with only the word 'Come!' we are off into the herd land. I'm nervous at first, unsure that the single-syllable invitation of an infant is enough to allow me into a place called the HIDDEN Falls. Certainly they are hidden for a reason, and that road! Treacherous to foreigners... And yet, I follow her anyway, Haruki keeping pace quietly alongside me, his cyan eyes taking in what my golden ones do not. What he sees stays out of my mind, and I can focus on following Zah-a toward... wherever she is leaving me. I glance around, seeing rock formations, water... A giant cliff wall, but beyond that there are things my eyes cannot see. I follow her through a small forest, trusting that she knows her way around her home. But the farther we go, misgivings that were buried grow more powerful. Zah-a whines for her mother. I found the whining rather painful to the ears, but I don't say anything. She's a small child, of course she's whining. Besides - it might get us help in becoming un-lost. Of course, I could fly above the trees and find our way out.. but I feel Zah-a might panic, and I don't want to leave my new friend alone.

I didn't even notice the stranger appear until he spoke, and Haruki seemed equally surprised. The poor kitsune's senses were clearly dulled by my wandering, bubbly mind. I look up at him with suspicion at first - he seems awfully confused to be an adult Falls member. And lost. But this Kipling seems to find his words and his way, and begins to direct us.

'I'm the stranger here, I have a right to be lost!' The thought spins around my mind before settling in the back. At the very least I am meeting others and exploring a land I might otherwise not get to visit. "Tempe!" I chime in, not realizing that Kipling had overheard us girls talking before. The farther we walk now, the more his confidence appears to grow. But then, Zah-a was confident in the beginning, too. The Falls - home to the lost souls. 'Lost souls' can mean more than one thing, you know.

""
@[Zahra] & @[Kipling]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
Family time and patrolling, they played an awkward roulette. Daily labor, border checks, training -- all these tasks expected of a leader. Tis also necessity that occurred on a daily basis. The Fall's is a body, but what good was a body without direction, without his head? Yar. Dawn comes, the faint glow pulls me away from our cavern and into lukewarm air. I glance back (out of habit) at my slumbering mate and our daughter -- who is nestled peacefully in the renewed wheat we'd gathered the eve before. A tiny smile creases one corner of my face. I turn my back to them and rise for heaven.

My advance is tailed by two avians. The silvery one races to catch up, she gains ground and reaches for my spine. Thick talons weave themselves tightly into fur and feather. Ducking down, the adolescent bird slips her bannered crown into the fluffy white plumes growing along the base of my right wing. "Morning," she hums sleepily. Fina slips alongside, her flaming pinions fan the air. A dead mouse is dangling from one claw, "Afternoon is more accurate," she scoffs, annoyed by my inability to rise before the sun.

_______

By early noon we'd broken off to cover more ground. I circled the southern portion of our home and its main entrance -- Fina looped the eastern border and Neve, took off for the west. Like all children, the icy Zephyr wanted her moments of independence. Tis impressive to witness how my silver companion had grown over the past few months; her once thin and weak primary feathers had lengthened to an adolescent width. Each day she grew stronger and lost a little more of her babyish figure and personality. Aye, sad to see them grow, change.

I travel above the thick canopy of snarly branch and vine; idly keeping watch for signs of trouble or stirring. Though like previous days, all appeared quiet. Below, (mostly hidden from sight) a pair of children is darting between the branches and fragmented light; the duo races down the weeded path. Its not long before a soft plead drifts on the breeze; its main strength is trapped beneath greenery --yet I recognize the individual behind that faint rasp all the same. Without hesitation my feathers slip closer and carry me lower.

______

Through a narrow opening I glide down with practiced ease, narrowly missing grouped timber. (A trick that nearly impossible for one of larger girth.) Despite long months of practice, flying in and out of these woods -- leaves still manage brush against my body and outstretched extensions. Some break and crumple when jarred; their weakened hosts fall to the soft earth below. Sundipped pinions slide shut, bits of bramble fall around me, evidence of my rapid descent.

Almost instantly my attention shifts to yon cherub with a protective edge making the rims seem sharper than normal; fluidly I scan her body for signs of distress. Upon finding nothing to warrant my concern (or rude entrance) I turn a gentling glance to the company she held. Kipling, and another babe (though this youngling was older and unfamiliar.) Patched limbs press me closer; my muzzle drifts to dip along Zahra's lean spine, carefully touching the feathery hairs of infancy that stuck array from fledging pinions.

"Making friends?"

Gems rise again, narrowing when they land upon the older babe; older aye, but not old enough to be traveling far without her Ma. Curiously, I turn to Kipling, "Whose child?"
image credit

Word count: 581
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Outcast

She is there, of course, and her company feeds small relief through your veins. You are impulsive, far quicker to act than you are to think, and unfortunately it has landed you in a spot of bother. Your friend “Tem-pe”, is not the only one shadowing you however, and you turn from her with a start – yellow eyes glistening boldly – when another you have not seen before, arrives with haste equal to that which brought you here. Your lungs prepare to burst imploringly, air inhaled and waiting, but the taller arrival speaks quicker, a mumble; a rabble of monotone words that pull your small fluffy ears forward curiously. Suddenly he turns from you, and you follow forward spontaneously with expanding, childish interest – quickly forgetting the reason for your own panic.

Knees lift awkwardly high as your tiny, neat hooves explore the lush, deep-forest grass carefully – like a pup’s first tread on fresh dew – and you peer eagerly wherever he does. You are still breathing heavily; the air you gulp is thick and clammy, and you liken it simple-mindedly to the canopy shining, fluttering before your eyes. Though there is no breeze to stir the leaves, the sun kisses each glossy surface and it creates an illusion that you wholeheartedly believe – the trees around you are dancing, swaying to a tune you think you can hear! For a moment you stand stunned, credulous eyes soaking up the ambience, ears fixed towards the soft sound of nature’s intricate song; but the horse with the golden face-branch breaks your focus.

His long legs swing into action, each hoof thudding to the buoyant rhythm of your heart. You follow obliviously, eagerly, turning your sparkling gaze to Tempe momentarily – though you know she will come along anyway. You are intrigued by this stallion, his coat gleams bronze even as the shadow flickers across it, he is exciting; bold and ambitious! Long gangly black and white legs bound along beneath you until your narrow shoulder swings parallel with his, and you lift your short neck so that it sits as vertically as you can bear above your pinched withers. Eagerly you await the unveiling of your destination, but alas (after only a very short journey – few strides of his), another has descended across your path.

“Da!”

Your voice trills unbridled joy and you slip instantly from the shoulder of your guide. You feel nothing of his paternal influence, only the thrill of recognition and youthful fondness for your father. Your insignificant frame slithers beneath his gaze, the shadow he casts, with wings spread inelegantly (they hold no true feather) and wavering with delight. He stills when you are close and his lips trace down your spine; but you are fidgety, excited, and press like an affectionate kitten against the metal bulge above his breast. He speaks and both words touch your waiting ears – they quiver curiously, swivelling as you try earnestly to understand. “Tem-pe…” you explain confidently – it is the only word you have derived from the trio’s convergence thus far. As your father’s eyes turn away then, you offer a bright smile to your pink-feathered friend and return tardily to her side.

Permission given for all except death
Please only tag Zahra in openers and spars

Wishlist | The Spider-Silk Shoppe | Absences

Hidden Account
T E M P E

Someone else appears, a painted pegasus stallion coming from what seems like out of nowhere. I perk up, eager to meet others. He reaches down to touch noses with Zah-a, and I gather that he is some sort of father figure - or maybe her ACTUAL father! Zah-a confirms my suspicion that they are related, shouting in jubilation. She says my name as well as she can, introducing me. I bounce happily, her joyful energy contagious. He asks the other stallion 'whose child?' and I realize he must be referring to me! Before Kipling can answer I pipe up with my own answer. "My name is Tempe! My mum is Arvakl and my papa is Bucephalus." I beam up at him, having no idea that he is the King of the Falls.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to barge in, Sir. I met Zah-a and she told me to follow and I did and then we met Kipling and now we're here but I think we're lost." Motor mouth goes on and on. Zah-a's excitement is contagious and it is making me babble and perhaps lose my manners. "I'm sorry Sir I don't know what to call you." I tip my head, trying to regain control of myself. Haruki appears from behind me and chirrups at the painted one. He's decorated with gold and I find him very handsome. The baby kitsune weaves between my legs, then bravely goes to greet the paint and weaves between his legs. "Haruki!" I gasp in shock. "Haruki you can't do that without asking! Sir, I'm so sorry he's still learning. He's very young like me." Shyness and embarrassment temper my excitement so I return a little more to my normal self.

""
287 words
Skipped @[Kipling] because I don't want the thread to die! @[Midas] @[Zahra]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread