the Rift

A new tale begins
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
take away the pain inflicted on me, the hunger you're letting me feed
A cold slab welcomes our approach, pieces of fragile granite chip beneath us. Aged from decades of worshipers mounting the same path. I turn a gentle eye to my daughter, attempting to catch her soft ivory face and lock upon a gaze that mirrored that of my mate. "Thee grandsire, my Da, brought me to holy places when I was young." Tis tradition; a passage I'd continuously attempt to carry on.

Our aim upon this sadly wasted stone wasn't only ceremonial, nay, I'd come to seek aid for a job that was too difficult to be completed alone.

Earth charged me with the safety of his land, sons and daughters. A task that was weighing heavily upon my mind. The herd was growing tired of the games our Northern neighbors are continuously playing from the shadows. Over and over their spies crept into our mist, stealing and robbing us of security, privacy. Unprovoked they came. Ghost cautioned that there would be consequences if we remained silent.

Anger would cause our family to begin to act out without the blessing of their leaders. Basin's wounded pride and poor reaction to the word nay, was going too far. They would place the lives of their kin upon the line, all for the sake of tending to an invisible wound. I'd shown tolerance. patience. Attempted to set an example of peace by offering terms of mutual tranquility. Each owner to his or her own land -- neither bothering the realm of the other.

______

Yon alter stands a vacant skeleton; the main tome was fractured and broken. Tis a faint shadow of former glories. Luminous flowers still bloom upon his threshold, a hopeful sign of astral presence and mercy. Heavily my crown slips low, the force of a breath brushes the gathered dust from one fragile leaf, "So much has changed since then." Hototo. I saw him in every plant, tree -- Ranjiri, and Cera...Lids momentarily seal across my vision as the memory of what we lost darkens previously soft features. A sigh that sounded more like a groan, resonates as my throbbing heart pinches painfully somewhere deep inside its cavern.

Carefully, I bow to the slat and move my foot firmly upon it. Pure gold swamps before me like water; I summon the pliable element to action. Thin threads weave together, they twist and bend. Eventually those strands form a resemblance to a flower; mimicking the tiny flora that littered this holy place. Did he know? I wondered quietly. Would my dead son see how carefully this mind did place the untarnished tribute to lay among his flowers. Would his ears hear the sad song that played in this heart as it yet sang for him and Seele.

Africa. My gaze slips to her. Grief and sadness fade to one of compassion. This dark muzzle stretches across the span between us, wordlessly encouraging them to stand beside me.

Word count: 488
OOC: Using my Veins pass for a herd quest.
@[Africa]
Table by Neo, Art by Dark

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

There were days when the God was optimistic, and then there were days where he was not.

His heart still mourned for Hototo, although much of his grief had passed. The Earth God simply missed soft spoken son, his progeny who could sing the earth into being. It did his heart good to know that Kahlua had born a daughter, although the God had not gone to see her. He would not pass along his feelings of loss and want to a child who had nothing with which to bear those misplaced emotions. He would see her soon, but not yet.

Instead he would visit another child that he cared for. Midas.

The God had watched his golden-adorned chosen-one with concern. Midas' state of mind as of late seemed .. erratic, his duties and perceived responsibilities misplaced. The God wished to provide council, to pluck Midas from his wanderings and place him back on the correct path, but, like any good Father, knew when to interfere and when to simply allow their children to make their own mistakes. Still, the God had watched illusory tensions begin to rise within the Falls, their cause clear and yet seemingly ignored.

So much of everything which had happened could have been avoided. Alas, hubris was a flower that appeared beautiful only to its gardener. To the rest of the world it was a weed.

"I too often come to look at these trees."

The God's voice was a hollow rumble, as his body seemingly morphed out of one of the larger hunks of stone. "It is good, to remember them this way. Seeing their vibrancy persist through the leaves brings me joy."

The God's gentle gaze fell upon the small child at Midas' side, parting his lips in a smile. So Midas was a father yet again. The God's thoughts turned to his last visit to the Island before he destroyed it - to Ktulu and Cera's words. Yet here was Midas, with a new family. Slowly exhaling, the God continued to smile.

"What brings you here Midas? Is this an educational visit?" His voice was warm, and his eyes genuinely delighted as his mammoth skull lowered to look at the youngster. "Hello youngling." he whispered gently.

God of the Earth
Image Credits

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

There was an air of anxiousness about the one-winged mare as she followed gingerly the path of her mate into the southern Helovian country.

Like every aspect of her personality, this growing apprehension was quite transparent – no matter how blasé the exterior she attempted to force – and with every step nearer, Africa’s breath became heavy with worry. It had been months since she had paid homage to the God whose trust she had unquestionably insulted; though often she thought of Him, fretted and grieved over her struggling faith. He had chosen her to stand both as Diviner and then Sultana of Dragon’s Throat, key roles she had accepted with a gracious heart and had strived always sincerely to honour.

In an unfortunate sequence of events, the flaming mare had been stripped of the role she had cherished so dearly; Africa was raised into greater responsibility and set beside hearts that were perhaps not as long-term, as was she. Though she cared little for her own reputation in all truth, she felt unfathomable guilt for failing both His confidence, and that of the herd who she had sworn to serve. By the end of her reign (so insignificant it had been), her self-belief had been chipped down to the bone and bitter depression challenged her loyalty to the desert kingdom. A mere skeleton of the motivated creature she had been for years, the one-winged had gracelessly slipped into oblivion – found later starving and without hope, but the one who had never failed her.

Her swayed allegiance came only naturally while she was down – purged from power by a faithless, friendless following (their numbers had plunged despite her effort, and that alone spoke volumes), and won in turn by benevolence and unfailing friendship.

They arrived after a long journey – perhaps a week or more with young Zahra in tow, and Africa passed a wary eye across the cerulean lava pooling to either side of the trail. She was relieved when Midas spoke, tales of old to treat his daughter’s ear, and listened quietly amid the churn of her own weathered thought. She followed from the rear, lips touched protectively to the fine down top of the filly’s twitching tail as they closed the final distance to the shrines. As they drew near she thought to pray – but what good could her tardy pleas serve. She had not returned to the home over which He watched, and perhaps to add salt to that wound, the dappled deserter had sworn service to the God they were approaching; strength of the Earth spilling through her veins.

She watched vaguely as golden flowers bloomed between luminous blue petals, torn horribly, and sooty velvet drifted near to Midas, meeting gratefully his gesture. With tender persuasion, she guided her young child to stand at the shoulder of her father – come to rest finally, at the same point on her other side.

Soon enough, the ancient deity appeared before them and Africa drew a humbled breath. There was little reason for her to speak (she had come for the sake of her suckling babe’s care), though at some point it was her desire to thank the God of the Earth for the healing vines entrusted to her.

Image Credits

Zahra Posts: 64
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15hh :: 2 Years
Hanna :: Common Kitsune :: Fire & Ilham :: Bark Spider :: None Riven

The journey has been a long one and no matter the number of rest-stops your careful, considerate parents have allowed along the way, you cannot hide the weariness as it melts through your tiny, two-toned exterior. Your step has grown lazy as you follow the guide of your father from spongy loam onto rock, but as the world around you begins to change once again, your knees lift with renewed vigour; ears pricked curiously, and face lifted high so that the engulfing wash of new scent might be readily absorbed. Since leaving the sanctuary you call home, strange sounds, sights and an array of intoxicating smells have ignited your young senses – you feel the thrill of life coursing like electric energy through your veins and though it is a wonderful feeling, it exhausts you all the same.

The deep tone of your father’s voice pulls you nearer. Tiny hooves click as they collide with the unforgiving basalt beneath and your watchful ears swivel, angling out to listen. Your tapering nose extends in an attempt to touch against the stallion’s clammy thigh, but he has turned his dark face already to find you. Your pale eyes dance between the golden pools set against the black – they are so different to your mother’s – but you find easy comfort in their hold, regardless. Your ability to listen, to understand has been improving in weeks gone by and foundations of awareness are being set. Though you understand around about what your father explains, it is difficult for you to imagine a time when that knew him differently – no amount of reasoning can convince you that he was ever as small as you are today. As a child, you live very much in the present...

You smile openly nonetheless, intrigued (as always), and inspired by the gift of these stories.

Eagerly you mirror his advancement along the narrow length of rock, creeping forward until your pin-covered wing wanders near to his shoulder. You are conscientious about each stride taken, for straying eyes have already discovered the hungry froth waiting below for your tumble – you shiver brightly, both excited and terrified. Quickly enough though (your focus has not been on the growing island ahead), the danger passes and you find yourself slipping again to the rear of the stallion because the thin path cannot accommodate you beside him. Though disappointed (his giant frame blocks much of your view), you find yourself promptly distracted by the molten-blue water beyond the platform of rock. It is beautiful and curious, your quivering lips wander nearer – heat startles you, however, and you pull swiftly away.

Your father pauses at last by a stone ledge and upon it sit a selection of crumbled rock – it interests you that he nears, and you watch with wide, oblivious eyes as he paints golden flowers among those blue scattered around one cluster in particular. Your mother has come to stand close to him and she encourages you to do the same with a firm nudge. Of course you oblige, and before you know it there is another standing before your small family – a towering creature like none you have before seen. He is intimidating, even despite the warmth radiating through his voice, the pleasant touch of his eyes, and you press close to the feathered side of your father. “Zah...a” you answer – you have rehearsed your name many times now and it comes quickly to your tongue.

Permission given for all except death
Please only tag Zahra in openers and spars

Wishlist | The Spider-Silk Shoppe | Absences
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Had Africa voiced her concerns aloud, these ears would've bent receptively to offer mutual understanding and surmountable comfort. Yar, for I once ruled beneath the glory of sun and seen those years wasted by accepting the task which Earth laid before these feet. Aye, Throat's pedestal had been short lived; but during those years of youth working as a soldier, a general and leader, I'd served with a whole heart and tempered strength. She didn't have to carry the guilt of betrayal, not when forgiveness was a rising dawn.

Perhaps it was for the best. In the end, we had each other -- and that counted for something.
____

He comes without grandeur, a mountain of a man. A wolf with long fangs and gentle eyes. My gaze lowers respectfully, ears press to listen as the god speaks of timber grown from the spirits of our descended brethren. Our ascended brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, mothers and brothers. How much blood had painted these lands and for the sake of what? A goddess proving her point? Pride? Jealousy? No wonder the hearts of mortals are often put on edge, straying from their innocent paths of birth.

Zahra's lean flesh presses hard against my side; I stand firm, offering my body as a beam of support. A shield should she have need of it. This world was hidden behind a veil of carefully planned maneuvers, we (I) sought to keep this child away from all harm -- rarely was she out of sight from either myself or Africa. Earth greets me warmly, no sign of discontent noted. My crown is set to rise, it carries with it a light grin and crinkled browline, "Father," even when chastised by this mighty parent, ever dutiful would my soul be. "In a way," for a moment I allow myself the pleasure of seeing the fruit of labor discover the calming presence of our lord. I shift a smile to Africa, thankful that she'd given blessing for our family journey. "I have a few questions I'd seek thee guidance on." Unwaveringly ever a student, "There is also a task I'd ask for blessing upon and aid if ye finds the cause worthy of it."

Word count: 366
@[Africa]

Helovian Ancient
Admin

"Well said!" The God chuckled as young Zahra offered her name. His presence, while large, was warm and inviting. The God had never given children a reason to fear him, and never would. Their purity was one of the things that the God adored most about procreation. They were as open as flowers bending their faces to the sun, and just as receptive to the rains as to a watering can. He sighed, pulling his gaze from the young sprout slowly to regard Africa. "She is a wonderful creation." He complimented, smiling at what would certainly be a very proud mother.

Looking to Midas, the God's smile pulled back slightly as he listened to what the paint vocalized. If it was merely guidance surely the herd's storyteller would have sought him out, from the convenience of the herd land? This seemed like ... something more. Midas came to him now not only in his capacity as a son of the earth, but also a lead. The God nodded patiently. "Of course Midas. What is it you wish to ask of me?"

Of course the God had an inkling ... tensions had been mounting, though the God was unsure as to the cause. Well, in truth he knew precisely what the cause had been. Yet the whole thing seemed convoluted and bizarre to his mind. Midas had made strange decisions in the past, yet his actions towards the Basin had seemed unduly aggressive on more than one occasion. Still, the God did not interfere. He had given the Falls to Midas and those within its walls had flourished as the God has asked.

God of the Earth
Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
I would not bow to the threshold of oppressors, nor would my heart sway its steadfast emotions over a single season. Aye, especially when met with sly hostility upon random eves. Earth's patient stare turns to mine; these loving eyes have solidified to an assured edge. My voice slips across the slight space between us without hesitation, "The Basin," a topic which lay upon my tongue with bittersweet weight. I'd met inspiring members of their congregation and some that are less than wonderful; but to ask Earth to love them less than others...yar, it went against the fabric of his being. Nar, I came for wisdom, from ears who'd seen much and eyes who'd witnessed all great and beautiful things. My purpose was hope. "They come into our lands by shadow, hiding where our eyes might not see," to a warrior and a man raised under the sun; this was a sign of impending war.

To that equal of a man who desperately wanted peace and to be left to it... "What would ye have us do? How shall we respond?"

I could guess what his remark would be. Yet my ears craved, they are hungry for a glimpse into whatever understanding moved his ideals. My heart was willing (despite reservations) to do whatever it took to preserve the lives of those that reside within yon Fall's. Even if it meant caressing and embracing the head of the serpent myself. For hadn't my soul been pledged upon the flying island after I received immortality? To serve, and be a symbolic leader for lands even beyond the borders of our home. Aye, a pledge that would stand true -- even if all else failed.

Word count: 272
@[Africa]

Helovian Ancient
Admin

Rather perplexed the God listened. Midas, regardless of his faults, had always done what he had thought right. The God didn't believe the painted Czar to be vengeful or arrogant when it came to political motivations, and yet his actions lately had suggested otherwise. First there had been the disregard for the invitation sent by the Basin, and now this? Perhaps there was more that Midas was not telling him. Perhaps it would be revealed in time.

Nodding, the God acknowledged the recent attempts of the Basin to steal from the Falls. Such antics had been common place in Helovia for centuries.

"Midas.." The God rumbled, his voice paternal and kind. "I recall, many seasons ago, the Basin coming to you as leader of the Falls, to secure an alliance between your herd and theirs. It seems to me, that whatever herd led the charge against the Edge and the Throat all those seasons ago had disbanded, quietly, to be replaced with more moderate and reasonable members. The group who came to you sought peace. My brother tells me that after thinking about their request, you sent a representative north to decline their offer. Later, in good faith they invite the horned members of your herd to the Basin for a celebration, and you destroyed a second offering of peace that might have mended things between the two of you. " Shaking his head, the God sighed. "Is this personal, Midas? The Grey who inhabited the Foothills before had an alliance with the Basin - or at least a treaty. But you have declined peace on two occasions. You may keep your reasons to yourself, but it is perplexing that you would call me here to ask how to respond to them. You have made them your enemy and then worry about their increasing hostility."

The God was not angry, merely confused. He did not expect the Falls to be a peaceful herd if they did not think it was in their best interest. But right now, the God was concerned Midas was making decisions based on his emotions, and not the safety of his herd.

"Midas tell me - why have you come here? Do you come seeking my council, or my aid? Do you desire to fortify my lands?"

God of the Earth
Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
I considered his words, listening as my father and lord relayed what was already known to me. Yar, quite a painting we’d brushed ourselves into. “Aye,” I admit heavily, “The burning of their offering was personal,” a regretful action. Amended, or better termed, attempted to amend. Though turning away their prying for an alliance was not a decision born from haste. “A mistake I’d not have repeated.” Perhaps they’d changed, Earth seemed to think something of them…but without evidence in the form of a humble desire for peace -- my heart was unwilling to take their words nearly two seasons ago as total truth. Something didn’t feel right. The Basin had been sly on more than one occasion. Inner ponderings make my tone unintentionally hard, I press to smooth it out and make these next words softer, “I seek to protect thee lands. There are many entrances and exits into and out of our home – we can’t guard them all, effectively.” Preparation for the worst, should it ever come.

“Africa,” crown drifts to my shoulder so that I might glance back and attempt to catch the yielding gems of a woman that was now called mate and Medic, “She gives a solution to this.” I tried to remember the title of those flora we’d talked about and failed, “Barricades or walls blocking the walkways leading into our home; and certain plantlife which grow wild – tis rumored to cause a poisonous sting for all who come in contact with it.” Something as fragile as a plant would be overlooked to a stranger entering our lands uninvited, it could be a useful deterrent if nothing else.

Tallsun would be giving way to colder air; the time for planting had passed us, “Would ye aid us in erecting a sturdy barricade across the most noticeable paths?” Without Earth such a laborious task would take a long time – yar, though time for this soul wasn’t a problem, there were others who needed projects completed at a swifter rate. “Save for one, the entrance behind the waterfall facing yon Threshold.” One entrance could be guarded, one entrance could be easily patrolled.

@[Africa]

Helovian Ancient
Admin

Frustration loomed just below the surface of the God's calm features as he listened. Regardless of the cause - or the ease with which tensions between the Falls and the Basin could be alleviated - Midas was right. The Falls did need a better system of defense. The God simply wishes his painted leader would have considered more altruistic means of attaining it. Sighing, he nodded. A movement that was almost conciliatory. Midas' mind seemed made.

"I can indeed help you with this, but it must be completed in stages as I'm sure you understand. There are about 20 or so entrances into the Falls. First we will barricade the entrances, save for one. Then, should you still wish it, plant life can be added. However this is not a task that you alone can complete, even though it is only you who has sought me out here. The entire herd who live in the Falls must aid in this venture, or nothing shall happen. Before we continue, do you agree to this Midas? Does your herd really desire to shut yourselves in, to hide away from the world and its troubles? When I placed you in charge of the Falls, I did so asking for you to care for its inhabitants. Is this how you would do that? By creating barriers to others?"

The God frowned as he spoke, but ultimately the decision was up to Midas. Still, it pained his heart. The God had not broken up the former Foothills into the lush lands of waterfalls and hills that it was now, simply to have every entrance way sealed up. An isolated eco system would wreak havoc upon the local plant life, but even more saddening was the idea that no one would ever be able to stumble into his lush creation ever again.

Still, this was the world Midas had created for himself. If this was what he chose, so be it.

As we mentioned before, sealing up the entrances and growing the poisonous plants are two different quests. Midas would only be able to start the first one now. Is that still alright?

God of the Earth
Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
While he spoke the gears in my mind turned upon their spindles, the inner workings pondering even as the earthly one agreed willingly enough to aid our venture. This crown started to nod out of habit, I caught myself and paused. These gems had fallen, contemplating -- now they rose, drifting solidly to his lofty stare. Those unreadable irises, ever patient, "Wait," a different idea was taking form, "I would have those with a desire to make thee land a home, welcomed."

Taking a moment, my lungs drew a tight breath and a small smile shifted forward, "Perhaps stone isn't the answer. Thee land is a lush creation, it would suit it to have plants as a deterrent for those who meant harm." Aye, my minds eye could see a foggy representation of the ideas that swirled around between unseen hollows take shape, "Perhaps hedge or the like could serve our purpose instead? With thee blessing I'll find a way to secure those of curious or well meant intent safe passage to the main entrance." Perhaps by trail or other manner to mark the way we could effectively guard the borders, and also allow access.

I'd place my personal power on the line to see it done, "As for the herd. I'll relay all these words and hear their hearts." As the old saying went, 'together we stand and divided we fall'. "Upon thee word." Crown bowed to my chest, though both these ears craned forward; earnest to witness his counter or perhaps take treat to hear another solution. Whatever the bidding, yon lord had permission to use me as he willed; a thing he often choose to ignore -- allowing me (a child) to find my own path. After all, tis an easy thing to follow, it's much more difficult to blaze unthreaded territory.

@[Africa]