the Rift

From Across the Shadows

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk

Fog still rolled in from the earth’s slumber. Up there, in the thick air creature did not linger. The fog was a most dangerous place to loose sense of direction. It was not a time for flight. But for him, it was perfect. There on the rooftops of Helovia he stood, quiet and calm. Vanilla locks flew gently over those earth eyes, as the gaze with a spark to the abyss below. This would be it, there could be no better time. A small head nudges his foreleg, and the twin horned head turns to the dark fawn beside him. A shiver ran down his spine like never before. This was new, dangerous, and all together thrilling. One last moment. Then the gold closes away his earth eyes and inhales deeply. A hot molten spear shreds through his spine, and that golden face contorts in twisted pain. Legs tremble and body looks to crumble but he is determined to yield again. Every nerve singes his flesh, but the change is at last beginning. Horns slink back into his body and from his sides spawn wings. Seconds pass with agonizing slowness, and the poor fawn by his bond’s side watches with seriousness.

A held breath explodes and sides heave with effort to get air, but the change is done. Blue eyes open to the word and that elegant bay head turns to the small fawn. “Haldir” It whispers, and the babe answers, reaching around to pull from the snowbank a satchel. The fawn helps the bay best he can loop the satchel around his neck and girth, till it hangs by his side. Shaking his hornless head fiercely the silver circlet, the golden’s prize falls from his head to the snow. It was with a bitter thought the gold stored it in his pouch. He felt so naked without his precious in place. Still, it had to be done. So he hands it to Haldir, leaving only the dagger, and polearm in the satchel. The rest of his belongings left in the cave. Finally he was ready.

Turning to the small fawn the bay hesitates. Those deep white eyes seem to grasp the concept and a forbidden bleat rings out. Those sea blue eyes can find no anger, for perhaps in their bond their emotions connected and the gold, hidden in his new form, felt a tinge of sadness as well. “Dartha na i fela” [Wait at the cave]. A small babe’s face fell and dropped low. He couldn’t leave it like this. “Im innas adertha” [I will return] The fawn dark head raises with a new light. It brings a smile to the dark muzzle. Enough though of this affection. It was too much for one day. Nosing the babe back the bay extended out his large wings. Wind tickled each feather and hummed across his sense. He was a striking creature. Dark bay body was simple, but bold, with sea blue eyes to pierce any soul. The star and snip are joined by a barred front foreleg, in the same sea blue as his eyes, and it glows ever so gently. To the tips of his wings, there races bold white bars, setting off his frame in a handsome dash. One last deep breath. A wicked grin grows on his lips as his thoughts finally turn to what is to come. Oh the world had never seen anything like this. Gathering his front half the bay lunges over the edge of the cliff.

==========================================

From beyond the Threshold, come a dark figure through the fog. A bay Pegasus flies in from outside Helovia. Its wings stretched wind, riding the currents through the fog. Its refined head turns to look below, but the fog still blocks its view. Shoulders shudder with each down stroke though. He can not go much longer. Concern washes over his face. Had he made a mistake to fly into this weather? It had been perfect to block his glide from the Steppe to the lands beyond Helovia and back, but now where was he. He had counted on the sun rising by now to rid him of the blindfold. As if on cue the sun cracked through, and warmed the cold damp back. A smile grows back on his lips as those sea blue eyes find their target below. Pine trees. Remembering the lessons of Ampere, but also his role, the bay heavies his body, and lets the struggles of a long and weary flight take over him. Then in as much elegance as he could muster tucked his stripes and descended.

Blue banded foreleg reaches out and meets the earth, while fours jostle to hold his body steady. A mis-step and he stumbles, tripping to one knee, but pulling up just as quickly. Perfect. All the more evidence of a night spend in flight. Sides heave, though that was not faked, and the bay drops his heavy head, while wings rustle to tuck up to his sides. At last those piercing blue eyes rise and dark tipped harks search about him. Oh how hard it was to not grin like a wild man, but the gold had not spent his last year in this place in vain. A conditioning, training even had laced his body to still it, and to keep up what he desired. So while he lets his body dip and sag ever so slightly his head rises to an alert, taking in every known sense like it was never sensed before. He was here at last, and waiting. The world would now know of this devil in disguise. This Rohan.

And there was a herd he was just dying to meet.

OOC :: Any and all welcome, but I'm specifically looking for the Falls, danke!
Identity Inventory:: Cashmere
Wardrobe:: Satchel (inside:: collapsed polearm, dagger)
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
Fresh off the battleground, why not go to the threshold. Perhaps my scars will scare up some new soldier recruits for the Falls. After all, we've got dismal numbers and I think Oxy and I will be the last to go down as actual fighters in the herd. That being said, I think I've converted December, and Elsa - though our mason - can put up a good fight. After all, that is who I have just finished sparring. A scraped face and a scratched up leg leave me mobile but a little ugly to innocent doe eyes. I huff and puff through the deep woods, looking for my next pre-- I mean visitor. Guest. Recruit. Whatever you want to call them. Damaris has chosen to stay in the Falls, watching over the herd in my stead. It's quite a distance for us to be separated and I'm not entirely comfortable with it, but it is a nice idea to think that some part of me remains behind at home. Besides, it's safer there than most anywhere else these days.

Heavy hooves stomp through the pines, crunching needles beneath. My weary head hangs low to the ground, worn out, disinterested in my surroundings, but my eyes are keen on movement. I hear the familiar rustling of wings to my right and I cock my head, nostrils expanding to sniff the air for similarly familiar scents. Nope, definitely a stranger of the equine form. Perfect. I change course, my path only marred by the slight limp I carry in my hind left. Blood decorates my right cheek, dark and scabby. I'm rather looking forward to the scar that will take its place: just another talisman to mark my journey. Peering through the overlapping barks, I see a chocolate stranger, clearly out of breath from a long flight. His respiration is noisy and my ears swivel forward to listen. After a moment's hesitation where I watch for signs of danger, I step into the light so he may see me before I speak.

"Greetings Comrade." My voice heavy, accent thicker than normal, as if I'd just woken from a long summer nap. "Welcome to Helovia." I move my muscles to smile, but what shows is more like a pained grimace. It hurts to smile. I let the corners of my mouth fall back to their downturned resting place. No more smiles for the stranger.

WC: 400
Tag: @[Thranduil]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

A crack to the side and the dark head rises high and levels. Hooves square off and the long tail twists. Trails of weariness still betray him. Wings sag at his side, and eyes are sunken and glazed. This moment was critical. It had to be correct, or the truth would be revealed. After the pain it took to gain this form he was not about to let that happen. Black tipped harks lean in and out steps something rather unexpected: someone unknown. A snort rings through the air and the stripped wings flare out slightly. But he can’t put up much of a fight, he is so worn. Though there is a strong inner core there, he will defend and defeat. The bay is not a coward, and he will not be mistaken for one.

When the silver maned steps forward the blue banded lets his tension ease, but head still hold high. A gruff voice stumbles to him, and harks twitch. Dark head turns slightly considering the creature with a deeper gaze. The golden, hiding behind this dark form did not know this creature, and that was most unexpected. Though he hardly expected to be of interest to the north, the golden prided himself on knowing most of Helovia’s trekkers. Still the bay head eventually dips slightly.

This creature was not at all in good shape, cut and bloody he looked more like a punch bag. Was it possible he could belong to the one he sought? There was only one way to find out. “Helovia?” Sea blue eyes seem to look inward for a moment, and considers some dark thought before gazing out at the horned creature again. “Is there war? Are you-“ He glances to the creature’s bloodied leg. “alright?” He asks most seriously, and laced with concern. A unique voice for this one, it is strong, and smooth, steady but deep. Unlike the sly words of the golden, this one was crafted to keep the slime from tainting his speech.

Inside the golden waited, god how hard it was to let the natural pauses continue themselves. All he wanted to do was shout from the rooftops his questions and get this boring bit done. But all was for a purpose, and the golden would not drop his ruse this day. The bay seems to pick up his sagging wings and force some regalness in his warmblood body with a curve of his muscled neck. “I am Rohan of Algiers.” It was hard to not add his customary, at your service, but the gold applauded himself for the Algiers touch. How long had it been since he said that name? Again though the dark tasseled head tilts slightly and his head seems to reach out slightly. “I hope not to trouble you, but can you tell me more of this, Helovia?” It was a serious question, one of curiosity. It seemed to revive the blue banded creature. The thought of being somewhere new, it was, exciting, adrenaline pumping, but he would know this place before he travelled in it. He would not blindly walk into some hell. Yes the Rohan the gold painted would be a wise creature, strong, yet intelligent. How wonderful it was to weave something so unlike his own self. He was beginning to like playing this Rohan. So while the outside played on, inside a dark laughter was twisting around his soul.

OOC :: @[Rostislav]
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

I tiptoe quietly through the forest, a different part of the forest I've never been to before. I've just left the Falls, with a little assistance from Zahra. I've pledged to myself never to go down that path again, because it was must too steep and difficult. Next time - whenever it may be - I will fly there. Though of course, I may have to grow up a little more first. In my mind a picture flashes of me flying and Haruki on the ground, pining after me. I turn my little face toward his as he walks next to me. "Don't worry, I'd never leave you behind." I don't think he can understand me, but I hope he can hear the reassurance in my voice. The mist that swirls around my hooves and barred legs swirls around him too, and his little nose peaks up through it. He yips softly at me, and I think somehow he understands the commitment I have for him, for us.

I start softly as I hear voices up ahead. Haruki swats my leg with his tails and runs ahead, I presume to investigate, though my stomach begins to knot with worry over his wellbeing. I admire his courage, but if he got hurt trying to protect me.... I banish the thought from my mind, unwilling to even humor the thought. I see flashes of what he sees - two stallions, a unicorn and a pegasus. They're talking, and though I can't tell if they know each other or not, they don't seem to be unfriendly. Deciding it may be safe enough for me and Haruki, I make my way between an opening in the trees. I'm just in time to hear the reddish pegasus begin to speak. I'm slightly hidden amongst the shadows of the trees: present, visible, but not obtrusive to the adults' conversation.

Before the unicorn can reply to the pegasus, I pipe up. "No, Rohan, Sir, there's no war going on." Though as I look over at the bulky unicorn, I wonder exactly where he's been to hurt himself so badly. It does look like he may have been in more than just a terrible fall, especially with the scars scattered over his body that suggest he's been into this sort of scuffle before. I look back at the handsome pegasus. "My name is Tempe. Helovia is this land you're in - not just the Threshold where all these trees are but aaaalll of the land!" Smart, polite, and helpful! That's me! Haruki chirrups next to me. "Oh! And this is Haruki." How could I forget to introduce my little companion!

""

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

The stallion is polite, but seems confused by... oh. By me, of course. I guess I would be surprised by my appearance too. His way of approaching the topic is more roundabout than I might have taken. A war? Of course not. I would not assume that finding a wounded equine meant a war was going on, but then, perhaps there's some reason he asks. I don't care to find out. His introduction is met with a nod from my decorated head, and I'm about to respond when a small figure appears seemingly from out of nowhere and begins to speak. I have little response, and simply stare at her with curiosity. Where did she come from? And oh! Have I seen one of those before - a kitsune? I think not, but I know what it is.

The little filly introduces herself as Tempe, and her kitsune as Haruki. She tries to describe Helovia, or rather, she does describe it. I'm not sure what else to add. "There are four herd lands - the Hidden Falls, the Aurora Basin, the Dragon's Throat, and the World's Edge - plus several outcast bands." There, useful information. The filly glances at me, examining my wounds, but I think she may also be interested to hear the names of the herds, based off the curious look she gives me. "And, my name is Rostislav. I am a Legatus of the Falls." My deep voice remains gruff and I blink slowly at the stallion. What more does he have to say, or to ask? Is this going to be a chit chat sort of meeting, because I really don't enjoy those and I'd rather we skip the small talk.

WC: 282

I got sleepy and distracted partway though. Sorry

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

He was ever so careful. Trying to be anyway. But it was so much work. And it had never been done to this extent before. True he had played charades, but never so fully. So you must forgive him for this oversight. A child steps in and speaks up, harks fall back. Habit. Unplanned. Children were never welcome, especially the ice eyes noted, when they have pets. But just as quickly as his ears feel they are risen again and he smiles warmly. Trying as he might to make up for that momentary lax of character that he prayed the babe did not notice the bay dips his head to her. “It is good to hear.” As momentary panic calmed, the bay causally took her in further. She certainly was someone’s child, but who’s the pink on her wings made the golden pause. Arvakl had been pregnant. Ah, well, even that mare should she choose to show couldn’t recognize him, the gold laughed to himself inside. So the conversation continues.

Temp. Curious little name. The bay looks out as she speaks and smiles with a great patience to her. Rohan would love children, as any ‘good’ horse should, even if it swelled bitterness in his chest to see one smile so excitedly up at him. It was not at all normal. There was, he admitted a strong urge to make a scary face and have her run away screaming. But that would be unlike Rohan. So the blue banded smiles at her and nods to the kitsune at her feet. “Well met.” Looking back up to her he speaks again in that soothing deep voice. “It sounds most curious.” There apparently was no war (duh, though Mooney was coming close) so Rohan could relax a bit. With a calmer sense he turns back to the silver maned unicorn. Is this really the pace of all meetings around here? Good lord, what a bore. It had to be done though.

There! Bingo! We have a winner! The Falls, first try, just simply beautiful! Though of course the gold most carefully manned his stations to avoid this excitement showing. He would not have another slip up like before, even if it was a small one. “Legastus?” It was almost a whisper to himself, because of course Rohan wouldn’t know what that means (neither does the golden but that’s not important of course). The blue banded sighs, letting his wings sag slightly again, and head fall to a more level stance. “It sounds most exciting, but is there anywhere I can stay? I will earn my keep.” He seems to have almost leveled with them, looking from one creature to the other. His sea blue eyes heavy. The bird is weary, and seeks only some peace with which to sleep.

OOC :: @[Rostislav] @[Tempe]
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

I think to myself that maybe something seems off about Rohan. Like there appears now and then a certain anxiety in his muscles that twitches. Like a fly that keeps buzzing around his ears, there seems ... Well I can't really place it and I'm probably suspicious of nothing in particular. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. After all if the poor boy thinks I've been in a war. I can't blame him for being nervous, thinking that. I look down at the young child, admiring her courage and good-natured attitude toward a complete stranger. Rohan seems confused by my mention of Legatus. I don't blame him for his confusion. It is more of an abstract term to our Helovians. I don't bother to explain it for he is already moving on. I see the weariness he speaks of in the way he carries himself, the way he drops his head. "You are welcome at the Falls, though you must begin to contribute to the herd once you are settled." I tend to forget to mention this to new recruits. Sometimes I think they are surprised when Midas asks them to take up a role in their new home. Better I forewarn Rohan and avoid the surprise. "I shall lead you there now." I look down at Haruki and Tempe. I murmur something about them being welcome to follow, but certainly are left to do as they wish. I gesture toward the south, my silence now an invitation for him to join me. Though he may be blessed with flight, but as I am not, we shall be taking the long road home.

WC:
if you want to post again that's fine, skip tempe. Can't get it in tonight

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

The blue banded looks now wearily at his company. He is at peace here with them, despite the unicorn’s rough appearance. And why shouldn’t he be. That golden which hides in sides is now wrapping himself around everything he desires. The invitation being extended to the Falls the bay bird visibly releases himself fully and a warm glow, which seems to full his sea blue eyes naturally rises. “My thanks Rostislav, I shall join you.” He shall join you and destroy you. The world would be his. His eyes and ears now reaching into part previously untouched by the dark hands of the shadows. The world would know no greater thief than he. He who slipped into their bed in the middle of night and with hissing fangs sunk into their tender exposed flesh.

Of course we must say good-bye to the little ones. The uncrowned head turns to the babe as she looks so pleasantly towards them. “Farewell sweet Tempe.” Then the winged creature moves on. His blue banded legs stepping gingerly along the pines, though he stepped on twig once or twice, no noise did it make. Perhaps you can attribute that to his light feet. Some Pegasus magic perhaps. Still the blue banded followed his keeper. There was however the issue of his trade. For this the blue banded would need the journey to think of. Scholar would lead him to the path of the god, who would stop at nothing to protect his keep. That would not do. Sneek would lead him to those who were most dangerous. That would not do. Warrior would reveal his magics and prizes. That would not do. Crafter would need the powers of the trade Again, that would not do. Medic would cause him to need the powers of healing. Could he hold that? Did he know of herbs and wounds? No, but he was a fast learner. A grin grew at the unicorn’s turned back.

OOC :: @[Rostislav]
"speech"

Posting Poetics
credits

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

The stallion next to me introduces himself as Rostislav of the Falls. I cock my head, interested, and remain quiet. I am polite as always, and I don't mind letting the adults continue the conversation while I listen. Rostislav names the different herds for Rohan, and Haruki and I listen carefully. I guess that Haruki can't actually understand the things that Rostislav says, but he listens attentively anyway. I'm certainly happy for the imparted knowledge: now I know the names of all the herds! I had guessed parts of them before but now I 100% know the full names. The Aurora Basin and the Hidden Falls - well I've visited both of those now so I am familiar with them - but the other two... the World's Edge I've never heard of, and the Dragon's Throat. Doesn't papa live there? I feel like I've heard him mention it before, but I can't remember for sure.

But soon I see the conversation is coming to an end: a short conversation, devoid of much interesting gossip or knowledge to chew over. A small sigh escapes my lips and Haruki chirrups at me, rubbing against my fetlocks in an attempt to cheer me. It works, and I feel my spirits lift a little. Rostislav invites Rohan back to the Falls for at least a temporary home, if not for something more permanent. I wonder what Rohan will do when he gets there.... I have never lived in a herd: Mum doesn't have one and I follow her around. It seems like maybe she doesn't have as many friends as Papa, and I wonder what has happened in her life that has brought around such circumstances. Will I go to the Throat with Papa once I no longer need my mum's milk? I don't know - there are so many things I don't know. Rostislav invites me to join them, but I shake my head gently. "Thank you Sir, but I have my own journey to make." I try to assure him, knowing how so many adults worry about foals out and about on their own. But he shouldn't worry - Mum is never too far behind, taking care to keep an eye on Breccan and I. Rohan politely bids me farewell, and I appreciate that he considers me as they go. "A pleasure meeting you both - until next time!"

""

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.