the Rift

Las Vegas Past

Tora Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Tora
quote here

Irritation mingled with a strange kind of curiosity shivered through my frame that told tales of strength and glory even at such a young age. The world would know that I was to be a force to be reckoned with as soon as I learned how to use the body the lords had blessed me with. Midnight stained ears swiveled backwards as I listened carefully for the sound of my sister moving through the ferns and various other green plants that were growing in the walkway the band of unicorns had told us about, even though Himitsu was blind, it didn't stop the slightly smaller twin from getting around just as well as those of us who could see the world that twirled around us. A snort blew through my pink paper thins before my attention was turned back to the strange new world around me. Itsu could handle herself if something unfortunate were to befall her, we both could, but something about a filly who had spears growing from her eye sockets rather than eyeballs themselves was enough of a sight to stop grow stallions' in their paths.
Easily I pushed any worry that might have been noticable about my sibling to the back of my mind, instead focusing the cold gems that decorated my own features on the ever-green terrain around us. How annoying it was to feel as if I had passed by the same tree five times now, but I hadn't seen any sign that my twin and I had traipsed past her already so I surged onwards towards whatever adventures this place would have. Hopefully it was ready for us.
A smirk that would have sent the Devil himself running for his mother tugged at the left corner of my pinked out kissers when my white splashed limbs finally decided that this would be the place to stop. Itsu and I had to recollect ourselves and figure out if we were truly wandering around in circles or if our path had been straight as directed. My matte crowned skull turned over shoulders that were already beginning to fill out, showing promise of what was to come when the dreaded puberty hit, a childish feminine voice spilled forwards into the warm air where it began it's dance with the bird's songs until reaching my sister's eardrums. "Isoge Himitsu!" Our native tongue rolled effortlessly off of the salmon colored muscle while eyes the color of the clay that rested under the grass searched for any sign that she had made it to where I was standing in wait. Every nerve ending on my childish frame stood on edge as I kept alert for whatever hornless monsters could be hiding in the shadows to finish the job the others hadn't been able to do.
Would we die here? Or prosper like the Queens we were?

"Speech here."
Tag;; @[Himitsu] & @[Zikar-Sin]
Words;; 487
Notes;; Let Tier post first and then you are free to join in Smithasssss :3 sorry it's so short and shitty, it'll get better when she has someone to be a bitch too xD

Credits: Image by tad 20D @ flickr

Himitsu Posts: 6
Up For Adoption
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 2 years old [Birdsong Birthday]
Adoptable
In life you are never lost. Because no matter where you are going, you are going somewhere. Your options are to sit back and to see where you go or to fool yourself into thinking that you have control over fate. I am young, no more than a weanling, but I know that it is foolish to get tangled in mere possibilities.

Life is no fairytale. There are plenty of villainous souls but there are no heroes. If you want a hero you have to be your own. I suppose that I fall somewhere in the middle. Many tales tell of a heroic show of mercy but I have none, and no desire to have any. My mother had been struck down without any show of mercy from a band of pegasi and equines. So why should they still be drawing air into their lungs?

My hoofsteps speed up then falter the closest tree becomes a stand in for everyone that I harbor so much anger against. Lowering my head I jerk it upwards shredding into the bark. Pulling away I rub my pink stained muzzle against the marks that I made and a satisfied smirk slowly spreads across my lips. Whenever the time comes what so many see as my curse will instead be my blessing. Survival of the fittest, right? How often have a heard that talk? Adults think the young to be ignorant to their moonlit conversations. I know that many urged my mother to leave me for the wolves and to focus on my twin. Everyone has always been filled with high expectations for Tora. She was born for greatness, and they are right, but all who doubt my potential are fools.

The forest has began to grow much more lush. I know that she worries about finding our way but I do not share in her concern. Instead I am lost in the sounds and smells of the forest. The birds' songs dance with the warmth of the sun. The trees stand firm and proud while the rest of the forest sways with the wind. It brushes against our sides and our legs, trying to pull us into the song that is sung. In a voice low enough to where Tora cannot hear I sing my own verse to add to this forest's never ending song.

Ears perked I answer my twin. "Ako ania dinhi," although my voice does betray my youth it has a deeper ring to it whenever compared to Tora's. I move to her side and I curl my upper lip sucking in air to get a good smell of the area. "I can smell where other unicorns passed through." In actuality I am not able to say for sure that they were unicorn. My sense of smell, stronger than what most have, can only tell me so much. But surely the marvelous herd we have searched for would not stand for those of other kinds being so near.

@[Tora] @[Zikar-Sin] I am so sorry about the wait you guys. The rest of my posts will come quicker.

"Ako ania dinhi," || "I am here,"

Saffron Posts: 61
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Other :: 46" :: 2 HP: 58.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lauren

Saffron
you exist in TIME, but belong to ETERNITY

Is this punishment for greeting the foal nicely? For being courteous to a little stranger? I suppose not, but it feels like it. The look that said 'go to the Threshold' was pretty hard to ignore and I can't help but feel a little sulky. I'm not sure I get along with the newcomers all that well. Especially when they are sassy and full of themselves like that one mare was. But I suppose every now and then I can do something useful, even if I don't always enjoy it.

So now as my paws softly press against the pine needles littering the ground in abundance, I exhale quietly and resign myself to the main duties of being part of a 'herd'. This is why tigers are solitary beasts - no responsibilities to others, no unnecessary tasks or conversations. Ah well. I lift my head when I hear voices, and pause in my step to let my nose continue the work for me. The unrecognizable scents - two of them - tell me that I have found a couple of someones to bring home to the Basin. Moving through the trees, I weave my way in silence, letting their voices mingle in my mind into one objective.

It surprises me a little when I find not one but two foals, not that much older than Tempe, the filly that I had just so recently met. One is rather normal in appearance, but the other has me staring aghast. Instead of eyes, she has horns, in addition to the one in the middle of her forehead. I smother whatever opinions and reactions I have, burying them behind the facade. Some creatures in this world are so bizarre and I doubt I will ever be able to make sense of it all.

Gently I announce my presence with a deep, rumbling purr of speech. "G'day children." I sit, wrapping my long, thick tail around my hindquarters. "Welcome to Helovia, I am Saffron." Golden eyes watch them closely, waiting to see their reaction to being greeted by a talking predator. Whiskers twitch as a smile plays upon my face. Deimos will just LOVE two new bambinos.

""
@[Tora] & @[Himitsu]
360 words

Image | Table by Tamme
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Saffron excluding dismemberment and death.

Unregistered
Tora
i'm finally happy now that you are gone

Although I knew I was perfectly capable of handling myself, there was a strange feeling of comfort and content when my twin parted the ferns and entered the clearing in which I had called her from. Our magical language floating into the air on her ever so slightly deeper vocal chords causing my dark ears to flick forward and amber eyes to light up with excitement in knowing there were very few who would understand the strange words shared between us. I glanced away from the tri-colored filly momentarily as her face contorted into a strange expression the sound of air being sucked between her still pristine teeth distracting me for a second from the sound of the bird's singing happily in the canopies. "I can smell where other unicorns passed through." I wondered if our species truly did smell different from the others as amber eyes drifted from tree trunk to tree trunk, inspecting each one carefully for any kind of hints that our own type might be near by.
There wasn't time to delve into the world of how the different species smelled before a strange creature broke through the undergrowth. Pools drag, bored, across the feline's orange and black frame before glancing over to my clearly blind sister. "Sore wa nekoda." My slightly more feminine lyrics whispered towards the two different colored ears before my attention turned back to the feline who was now speaking. And I could understand her clear as day. Which was nearly more startling than the fact that she was a cat. "G'day children. Welcome to Helovia, I am Saffron." An invisible brow raised as I looked upon the sitting cat wondering what unicorns would allow this strange creature to survive. Unless a Saffron was some kind of secret weapon used to kill anything that wasn't a unicorn. Satisfied that my idea was surely the case a soft snort was expelled from dark paper thins before I allowed words to fall forwards into the midst of the bird's songs.
"I am...Tora." I hesitated at giving this strange animal my proper name as so far I wasn't quite sure what to think of the fact that the band of unicorns had told us this place was riddled with those like us. But so far, there hadn't been a single horn other than my own and Itsu's to set my eyes upon. Clearing my throat I looked down on the striped feline, dark washed features lifting upwards ever so slightly as to keep my tiara on straight I spoke up once again before I would shut up and wait for a proper unicorn to come and bring us to their lair where I could begin my quest to world domination. "We were told we could find a band of well-bred unicorns here. But instead we find a cat?" Dark harks flicked forwards as I leaned my weight against my back limbs lazily, happy that we were done walking for now.

"Speech here."
Tag;; @[Himitsu]
Words;; 498
Notes;; Sorry this took so long ladies <3 and sorry she's kinda bitchy.
Translation;; Sore wa nekoda - It's a cat

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

In all honesty, Zikar-Sin didn’t really remember when the large cat had been admitted to their icy halls. He was certain that it wasn’t the first time that a non-unicorn (or even a non-equine creature!) was allowed into their hidden troves; distinctly he could recall the faint rattle of scales and snake-breath whispering in the corridors of his mind. And now, as he gazed upon a rather magnificent creature bearing the scent of snow and auroras, the disappointment he felt was not centered in the tiger’s allowance in their lofty reaches—but for the fact of her camaraderie, which, of course, rendered her pelt positively out-of-bounds. Which would have been absolutely lovely, really, hanging on the walls of his cove.

No matter; he has lived without a tiger pelt before, and he will continue to do so. With a delicate sigh, Zikar-Sin made his way towards the supposed comrade, this venture south certainly a rare one for the reclusive stallion. It had been many moons since he had voluntarily left the northern reaches of Helovia; it had been years, as a matter of absolute fact. There was nothing down in these scorching emerald forests that enticed him enough to forgo the safety and glorious solitude that everlasting blizzards offered—although, he supposed, it was only a matter of time and duty for him to venture at least…once?…in a while, to be sure.

And how fortuitous this venture had turned out to be, indeed!

“Forgive me, Tiger of the Basin,” he said politely, his words flowing and lilting from his tongue with a grace and civility that was conspicuously lacking in the madness of his ever-staring gaze, “I do not believe I’ve learned your name?” His gaze swept from the brilliant, black-striped pelt and onto two, tiny brown bodies that caught the Haruspex’s eye with far greater interest: fillies! Sin’s smile became wide and warm, his eyes widening with a true spark of insane affection—especially when he caught sight of the sharp little horns that budded from their foreheads! Oh! How grand indeed!

Hello, children!” he sighed with a flutter; he was not able to see one of them too well, for she was immersed in the shadow of her apparent twin—yet three horns were clearly visible, poking from her head. “My, but where have you left your mothers?” The question left him in a rush of concern, ever worried as he was for the youth of the land—horned or not.

@[Tora]
@[Himitsu]
@[Saffron]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

Himitsu Posts: 6
Up For Adoption
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 2 years old [Birdsong Birthday]
Adoptable
"Sore wa nekoda."

"Nekoda?" frustration fills my voice whenever it lacks the fear I should probably have. It is likely that the animal before my twin and I has preyed upon those like us. Young. Lost. Alone. Colts and fillies are most likely easy pickings for the big cat, but Tora and I are anything but the typical young. Misfortune has warped our views and it has smeared our personalities. So no, I feel no fear towards the predator but I am seething with frustration.

Many have made the mistake of thinking of me as being disabled. But my other senses do more than make up for my lack of sight. I should have heard or smelled the cat's presence. In life I have no chance at being ordinary, so I have no choice but to be extraordinary. If I wish to make a name for myself I cannot slip up as I have just done.

"G'day children. Welcome to Helovia, I am Saffron."

"Baho sa iro," a smirk spreads slowly across my face. It is egged on by the mischievous song that my soul dances to, "Saffron, segur que ets nekoda?" A whisper of a husky laugh follows my words. Laughter sends my head to bobbing in its wake. It has been long since I laughed and despite the almost timid nature of the laughter that comes now it is an all consuming sound. I am like a soul starved of food and then placed in a meadow teaming with life. Overwhelmed and overjoyed all at once, my body had to cope with the feeling in some physical way.

"I am...Tora. We were told we could find a band of well-bred unicorns here. But instead we find a cat?"

My movements still and I hear my own sudden silence in such a loud way. My twin's words echo in my ears drowning out the screaming of my quietness. So freely she had given her name. Tora had hesitated, but not for long enough. Names are knowledge about oneself. Knowledge is power. Power is.. everything. To give someone your name is to give them some measure of power.

"I am," my voice begins as a whisper before gaining its usual tenor ring, "My name is Himitsu." No lips will ever know my birth given name. It has been lost in the seasons of time. On the day that my two extra horns broke through my skin like the first teeth of a babe I had chosen a name for myself. Being completely blind has left me oblivious to my own appearance and my appearance has set me apart from all. Keeping my true name a mystery leaves me with some feeling of having a measure of control over my life. No matter how small. I am the keeper of secrets, Himitsu itself means secret. My name is my purpose, it is my struggle for control; my name is my life.

My ears flicker slightly at the approach of another. I am sullen after giving my name; to give it away always leaves me feeling insecure. There is no worry in me for who may approach. What more of a threat can slink into our presence than that of the big cat? I am indifferent to the stranger's appearance until he speaks.

“Forgive me, Tiger of the Basin, I do not believe I’ve learned your name? Hello, children!”

His voice is warmth that sets my heart turned to winter's chill, towards the glow of summer. The stallion says little but that is all that is needed, for in some inexplicable manner my entire being has attached itself to him. Normally I face whatever direction that pleases me while speaking to another, sometimes I look in their opposite direction just to cause a little confusion, but I turn to fully face the unnamed stallion. It is not in my nature to immediately gravitate towards another being. I wonder what draws me to this one so?

I step to Tora's side to murmur in her ear, "Quin aspecte té ?" Eagerness fills my voice. Surely this stallion is one of the superior herd that we were told of. Does belonging to such a group show on his appearance? Does his coat glow as if he were some celestial being? Is his horn the longer than common unicorns?

"My, but where have you left your mothers?"

Our mother. Where had we left her? Dead. Dear Aki, absent minded as she was she had tried to do right by us. Anger seeps from my young heart towards those who had tried, and succeeded, at doing our mother wrong. From her lips they had called out screams, and whenever those had not satisfied them any longer they had taken her last breath.

"Our mother was taken from us." I need no eyes to picture the beasts that had murdered her, Tora had described them to me in great detail. It was our duty to remember those who had killed with glee but lacked reason. It is our duty to one day make them quiver. To one day rid them of the breath that fills their unworthy lungs. "Killed by those disfigured by feathers and invalids with no horns."

"Nekoda?||Cat?
"Baho sa iro,"||"Smells of dog"
"Saffron, segur que ets nekoda?"||"Saffron, are you sure you are a cat?"
"Quin aspecte té ?"||"What does he look like?"

@[Tora] @[Saffron] @[Zikar-Sin]

Saffron Posts: 61
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Other :: 46" :: 2 HP: 58.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lauren

Saffron
you exist in TIME, but belong to ETERNITY

The more normal appearing of the two speaks first, but in a language that is completely foreign to me. I sit in silence, waiting for a translation or for her to switch to our common tongue. There is no use pretending to understand something that we both know I do not. She gives me her name, somewhat hesitantly, I notice. When she speaks again in the common tongue, my smile dims slightly, for she has landed a small slight against me. 'Ah, cats clearly fall beneath unicorns, then.' My tail thunks softly against the ground. Her slander is minute, however, and so I do not let it be a mark against her. Them - I doubt the other filly feels much differently. And then she speaks, first in the strange foreign language, and I can't help but feel that an insult has been thrown at me. I bristle but stay still. She introduces herself as Himitsu.

Another joins us - a stallion that comes up from behind me. I turn to look him over. The dark-hued unicorn seems to know of me, but I most certainly do not know him. I find my skin prickling at the sensation of being at such a disadvantage. "Saffron." I say softly for his benefit, for I have already introduced myself to the fillies. He must be of the Basin, for how else would he know me? And certainly when I inhale, I smell the familiar scent. I expect he shall introduce himself shortly, as well. But first, his concern for the lack of dam for the girls. Oh the concern is so heartfelt. I have a certain fondness for children that is.. well.. more obvious than I'd like it to be. It pales in comparison to the change that takes over him though.

When Himitsu speaks again, there is no sorrow for the absence of their mother. Only ripples of anger. The words that she ends with though.. 'Killed by those disfigured with feathers and invalids with no horns.' Oh for Christ's sake, how many of them are like this? Clearly, my instincts were on point. I smother a sigh. How little they know. All of the equines - the pegasi, the unicorns, the more plain ones - they are ALL beneath the predators that feast on them. For example, me. I ignore her comment.

"We are from the Aurora Basin, where you shall find the unicorns you seek." The smile I had started with has totally faded. Instead, a harsh glimmer decorates my eyes, invisible to all but the those with the keenest eye. Why there are so many unicorns who think themselves the epitome of equines, I'll never understand. If it were up to me, I'd eat them. "We will take you there if you like."

""
@[Tora] @[Himitsu] @[Zikar-Sin]

Image | Table by Tamme
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Saffron excluding dismemberment and death.

Unregistered
Tora
all the pretty stars shine for you my love

I listen, half amused to the ever so evident frustration that had crept into my sister's voice as our beautiful, strange language joins the song of the birds once again. Maybe I should have followed the slightly smaller filly's reasoning and been slightly fearful of the black and orange predator before us, but why would goddesses such as ourselves be fearful of those beneath us? If anything the cat, Saffron, should be pleased we hadn't magicked her into some kind of fancy rug that would keep our hooves from soiling on the dusty world we seemed to have fallen into. The warmth of the sun's vicious rays somehow managed to sneak in through the emerald leaves that sprouted happily from the tree boughs, causing even the lush ground we stood upon now to crack slightly under the weight of my cloven hooves. My attention was only brought back to the reality we thrived in as the beautiful melody was set loose into the dry world around us once again.
"Baho sa iro, Saffron, segur que ets nekoda?" Inwardly I was rolling around on the cracked soil like some crazed child at Itsu's words. A feline that smelled like a dog, fitting, such a shame that she couldn't join in on our jokes and the exuberant glee that filled our small frames. Something clicked though, slightly glad the predator couldn't understand our musical words for surely we would have to get out the threshold just as quickly as we had entered or fear being picked from between the feline's canine (how amusing) teeth later on. A shiver passed over my tri-colored pelt once my introduction had slipped from sooted kissers, knowing that I would likely be scolded later by the wonderfully untrusting Itsu later for offering Saffron my name as easily as I had. But I knew one day all of Helovia would be praising my name, so what did it matter if a flea ridden cat knew it? It seemed that the fates had a different plan, keeping the scolding for a much later date as another creature made it's presence known to our intimate get together.
“Forgive me, Tiger of the Basin, I do not believe I’ve learned your name?” Warm amber eyes moved curiously away from the striped cat and rather focused on the new point of interest. His coat was the shade of the darkest midnight, or like the inside of your eyelids on a starless night while his mane and tail shone with the brightness of the moon. What an interesting creature he was, and oh, the horn that sprouted from his forehead. Finally my soul was at peace knowing that we were not the only of the divines to be found in this wretched place. "Quin aspecte té ?" My twin whispers into my ear, curious as to the stallion's appearance as words were exchanged between the two different species. "Hoshi no nai yoru no sora no yō ni. Shikashi, akarui tsuki to watashi ga imamade kare no kami to mi rarete iru yori mo." Invisible brows furrowed as I spoke to my sister in our secret tongue, mildly disappointed that my poetic verse turned out longer than I had planned and likely drew the duo's attention back to us once again. “Hello, children! My, but where have you left your mothers?” An invisible brow arched as a small, sad smile tugged at the left corner of my sooty kissers at the thought of our mother's mauled body on the ground. No longer our mother, rather a bag of bone and whatever flesh the savage creatures had left on them. Dead the word wanted so badly to fall into the air, a simple answer to such a complicated question. Did he truly want to know where her body had been left to be ravaged by the vultures and other beggars of the world? Or merely why she was not by the side of her two small children? Luckily for the lot of us, Himitsu decided it would be a good time for her voice to be heard and in her own creative way she spoke of the loss of our mother to the parasites of the world. A sneer tugged at the back of my mind but not quite making it to my darkened features as I leaned my weight in closer to my sister hoping our shoulders would match up pleasantly.
"We are from the Aurora Basin, where you shall find the unicorns you seek. We will take you there if you like." Dark rimmed ears flick forward as my attention is turned back to the big cat, a lick of hope creeping into my frame as I realized that this strange animal was allied with the strange stallion who stood near her. Clearing my throat with a small cough I stood straighter, ambers locking in on Saffron as words that could be understood by all were torn from my vocal chords into the oddly still air. "Is this Basin the lands we had heard tales of?" I questioned, looking between the stallion and the cat in hopes that they weren't leading us into a trap. If that were the case, we were the best option. Who would miss orphaned goddesses from a land far away?

"Speech here."
Tag;; @[Zikar-Sin]
Words;; 884
Notes;; This thread has me so excited xD
Translation;; Hoshi no nai yoru no sora no yō ni. Shikashi, akarui tsuki to watashi ga imamade kare no kami to mi rarete iru yori mo. - Like the sky on a starless night. But with a brighter moon than I have ever seen as his hair.