[PRIVATE] Allies and news
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
I'm a princess cut from marble, smoother than a storm
they used to shout my name, now they whisper it

Ophelia had left the conclusion of the deaths and moved north, saddened by the outcome but needing to see her family - those she was responsible for. The walk was not one that oppressed her heart. She did not feel stifled by having to return to her charge - not like before. Her heart felt as if she was doing good in the north and as if she belonged. Even Deimos seemed to have been encouraged by her presence, especially since she made no mind to stifle his violence. No, for as beautiful and gentle as she was, Ophelia was not some flower floating through live and praising peace.

No, she was just as dark on the inside as anyone else and just as attracted to bloodshed.

The pale princess spent time at home before deciding that she needed to speak to Gaucho - to ensure that he was all right after the entire ordeal. In addition, he wanted to warn the leader of the Dragon's Throat about about Confutatis and the lies she might be spewing about the Aurora Basin through her brainwashed children. There was much to talk about, and her mind was full to the brim. So much to do and so many questions still.

Ophelia had wandered, barely aware of her surroundings until her hooves hit sand, watching the Dragon's Throat lay before her - familiar. Once she lived here. Once she served here, under Kri. That felt like so long ago, now. The pale princess let herself in, willing to accept whatever fate she was afforded for trespassing if Gaucho deemed her unwelcome. She knew her way, and she followed the lines in the sand to the oasis, drinking from the waters. Absently, she looked for Gaucho, waiting patiently and observing for a moment. She knew that she would not have to wait for very long; he was diligent.

@[Gaucho]

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Ssssssshe issss belowwww Mara whispered into Gaucho's mind. Very soon, with the destruction of the land bridge, his vision would be wholly restored to him. No longer would he feel abandoned in a world where only the landscape presented itself to him. The time was almost upon him, but those without wings consoled his mind, urging him to wait a little longer. To not force them into isolation. To be patient and to bear this burden so that they wouldn't have to.

And like a good king, he did.

The dun was flying slower than normal. The small pheonix at his side was still new at flying. Her body was small and naive of the ways of her wings and the mechanisms of flight. The natural instinct that drove all flighted creatures was bright within her, but she still required much guidance and observation. Every now and then her body would fizzle with fire before dying out abruptly, which would cause the dun to chuckle. One day her body would be alight, as his was. For now, she was jut some curious avian whose body flirted with spontaneous combustion every now and then.

Ophelia Mara urged as Gaucho descended gently towards the Oasis. He couldn't see her, but through Mara's eyes he could. She stood in stark contrast to the warm tones of his desert home, a blood stained lily of ice in a field of fire.

The Sultan's large body landed gracefully and easily, stirring the sands only slightly with the final beats of his wings.

"If always come here, Gaucho never able to come North." He began, trying to force himself to sound amicable despite the grief that still hung over him. Ophelia, in the season prior, had chastised him for never coming North. Yet here she was once again robbing him of the opportunity. His words truly were meant in jest though. Given the policy of her home, it wasn't as though he could just enter the way she could here.

The dun sighed, his mask that painted him as a strong leader falling away. His body had felt lightened somehow when the Goddess' magic that possessed his body had been expelled and exorcised by the Earth God, but whatever space it had occupied was instantly filled by regret and grief. His conscious might have been cleared of the horrendous deeds committed by his body, but his soul was not.

"Thank you-" He murmured, almost self-consciously as his dark and weary gaze rose to try and find hers. Ophelia had been one of the few who had stood up for him. Archibald had called for his head, and while Ktulu had quieted his need for bloodshed somewhat, Ophelia was the only one not from his herd who had spoken in his stead. The Edge had been silent, as had the Falls.

The Edge he understood. Their neutrality had persisted for seasons, but it was only recently that a true alliance had been secured, and that peace had been brokered with Kaj, not Kahlua.

But the Falls ? That Midas had remained silent given the friendship that the paint had always spoken of, felt like a knife in the back just as surely as Archibald's words had. Archibald had lost a lover and owed no debt to Gaucho. His outburst was understandable if not misplaced. But Midas? Was his heart not big enough to grieve for Gaucho's role in the murders as well as Hototo's death? Or was his mind simply too selfish?

Gaucho was starting to think it was the latter.

@[Ophelia]

Gaucho the Wildfire
If this is to end in fire
then we should all burn together.

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia watched his shadow race across the ground, his winged body plotting out the sun. She narrowed her eyes as he stirred sand around her wings, letting her long, white lashes trap any offending grains. His words made her laugh, the sound bubbling with amusement, and she shook her head. That had come out of her mouth, but it was more in regards to his philosophical debate about morality. She had come to terms with the fact that they would never see eye to eye.

Once, perhaps, she had been as positive as he, taking up the mantle of bold protector of his herd and demanding all must treat them with respect. Bloody wars, broken hearts and near death experiences had changed her. She was a realist, a naturalist. The world operated in one way and the hearts of mortals would never be satisfied until blood was repaid with blood and their narrow world views were imposed on all. Impossible. Everyone battled against the inevitable, fought against their own natures, and Ophelia had taken a turn to let herself be wild. Gone was the chaste, quiet girl of her youth whose boundless curiosity had carried her over continents.

In her place was something stronger, freer and more powerful than she could have ever imagined, leading herds, waging wars and experiencing the grit of life. "I was speaking more to the fact that you had expected us to behave one way without even gracing us with your presence, but I concede your point," she replied, the tones of her voice disarmingly soft and gentle.

She was surprised and grateful for his thanks, but she didn't make a huge deal about it - that wasn't a warrior's style. Instead, she nodded, smiling mysteriously, bitterly. "I know what it's like to be used by the gods," she replied, remembering the horror of discovering her pregnancy. Mix emotions still fought like a war in her heart, and she did her best to shove them down. "Anyone who holds you accountable despite your honorable actions prior is a fool - narrow-minded and lacking foresight. The Moon God could have chosen anyone - any one of them too. You were just the most fitting target at the time."

Ophelia sighed. "I came to ask how you are doing, but I was also doing my duty to share a few details. The Aurora Basin is unified with you, and we will do our best to work with you. Also, a mare named Confutatis -she is black with a white skull marking - stole a mare and her twins some time ago before I was a part of the herd. She, my half-brother Tyradon and another tortured them. Confutatis is now back and has been harassing my herd. In all her infinite wisdom ," she growled sarcastically, "the mare tried to steal me while she was pregnant. I challenged her and she ran off. Only some time later, she tried to steal one of our thieves and now Deimos is challenging her yet again. Fool. She has two twins. One is a spitting image of her and the other looks like my half-brother."

The pale princess looked fierce, pride and anger written in every shadow of her flawless face. "I would not be surprised if she comes under the guise of a helpless mare, but she is a torturer of children. She is a deplorable creature who is as much of a fool as she is useless." Never before had she been quite so vehemently outspoken about any one creature before. Perhaps because she had been kidnapped as a child, and even her own father had not come to her rescue. Ophelia had learned early on that the only one you could rely on was yourself.

Phi paused. "I noticed that Midas showed up and left..." she trailed, frowning. Her sister's mind had left her angry over the stallion. He had treated her like dirt, and hadn't even walked over to give her comfort for the loss of her son. "I was upset he did not even give my sister a second glance. Her son... her son died... Midas knew Hototo..."

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Ascended Helovian

Perhaps later in the conversation Gaucho would ask about the Basin sentinels. The dun was afraid of very little, but having been raised in an extremely religious and superstitious herd had left its mark, especially when it came to things the dun didn't understand. When he had come to the borders of the Basin and shouted for Hotaru - the pink spy - he had seen the sentinels that he had often herd of. They seemed to watch him, daring him to step closer into whatever range they possessed. The Wildfire had heard they could kill with fire shot from their eyes, or was it electricity? He couldn't remember - the stories were too muddled, too fantastically retold. Still, he knew the Basin had their defenses. If time permitted he would ask Ophelia just how close he could actually come to their borders without being executed.

Gaucho nodded at her words, silently asking Mara to remember just how she had phrased it: Anyone who holds you accountable despite your honorable actions prior is a fool - narrow-minded and lacking foresight. He would have liked to have asked Ophelia to elaborate, but the Foresaken's tone made him think otherwise. Still, the thought of Ophelia being controlled by anyone, even the Gods, seemed incomprehensible. Gaucho had always thought the type to allow herself implode rather than be subjected to the wills of others.

Gaucho's ears pinned against his skull as he thought of Confutatis. The two had spoken of her before, and yet he assumed that if she possessed even the smallest amount of reason she would have left the Basin alone long ago. He remembered her cowardice, her pretense of being some sort of earthly god, of being powerful. But she had been mortal then, had bleed, and had run. Apparently things didn't change.

"If Throat finds her first, does Basin want her back? Or..." The flames on his wings momentarily burned brighter as his mind filled in the blanks of what the or might entail. Should the skull-marked harpy try to find shelter in the sands, Gaucho would be happy to educate her on the alliances of Helovia. He doubted many knew that the Basin and the Throat had become so close, at least compared to what they once were. The Sultan would be happy to solidify their friendship in the blood of an enemy.

Gaucho's black ears had slid forward at the thought of death, but fell backwards once again as Ophelia referenced Midas. The dun was deeply disappointed by the painted Czar's actions. Perhaps it was only because he thought the two were ... what? Friends? Allies if nothing else. Those underlying sentiments were the reason Gaucho felt that Archibald's accusations and demands for his head were merely naive and petty, whereas Midas' silence was a cause for hostility and mistrust.

Black ears flickered as Ophelia named Hototo as Ktulu's son. Did that make him Ranjiri's brother? Gaucho adored jiji, and he silently grieved at the thought of having taken family members from so many, even unknowingly and helplessly. "Gaucho not know ... " He offered, knowing that an apology would help nothing. "Sorry for loss - both to you and Ktulu." His jaw clenched as Gaucho bit down on the words that lingered on his tongue. Betrayal and loyalty. What was an alliance if it had an abundance of one and a lack of the other?

"Midas spend too much time alone. Gaucho not know what happens in Falls but ... he not used to be like this." Perhaps the waterfalls had saturated his brain to the point where he could only focus upon himself. If Ophelia's testimony was evidence of anything, it was evidence of that. Rather guiltily, Ophelia's previous statement suddenly made more sense to him. Midas had not once ventured to the Throat, not in seasons. It had always been the Throat going to the Falls to check in. The dun didn't realize just how important it was for both sides of put in the effort, until just now. Silently he vowed to venture to the Basin on his own in the coming season.

@[Ophelia]

Gaucho the Wildfire

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia's strange, dual colored eyes glistened with rare malice as the billowing flames from Gaucho's body intensified. The smirk on her lips curved delicately, and she seemed to darken despite the glowing orb hanging from her horn. Part of her wanted desperately to walk the path of righteousness and grant forgiveness to Confutatis, but her flirtation with darkness had turned into a veritable lust. The pale princess struggled with herself, having to compromise somewhere in the middle. Wasn't that life? Forever a balance between your heart's blood thirst and your soul's sense of morality? "I am not sure we want her back," she murmured softly. "She is a menace we would rather watch fail by the stupidity of her own actions, but just be wary. Any being who tortures children is beyond saving."

Their friendship was already built on a foundation of stone, and Ophelia had no intentions of betraying that trust. For once allegiance to the pale princess was earned, she fought fiercely, spitting in the eyes of any enemy great or small. The conversation aptly shifted then to Midas, and she frowned, trying to hold emotion at bay with a clenching of her elegant jaw. Regally, she lifted her chin, exhaling a shaky breath at the thought of her beautiful, gentle nephew dying. She did not blame Gaucho, and Ophelia shook her head sternly. "Not your fault," she said, her words firm. "He... he was always a force for good - far more mature than his years. When darkness had taken over Helovia, he left his herd, taking it upon himself to ensure that our greenery did not die." Her lips upturned sadly. "I can only expect that he is happier now, released from the daily pains of this mortal life."

The pale princess nodded, frowning. "He..." she trailed, expression souring again. "I cannot imagine he is simply alone in the Falls. But the thought of how he treated my sister, who he claimed to have loved, was..." Ophelia snorted angrily. "Well, uncalled for. In addition, I was startled to discover after my meeting with Deimos that he turned down Illynx's offer for alliances." The pale princess scowled. "Apparently he was far too busy to give a straight answer when she and hers went to offer their allegiance, so he sent his herd to the Basin to tell them no. He did not even bother flying over there himself." The very thought brought bile to her throat.

"Once I learned this truth, I realized how claims of persecution from the Basin's unicorns were folly. Long ago, my father, his herd and Mirage ripped the World's Edge from Deimos and his kin, and they were forced into exile. I assume they discovered the Basin on their own. They are refugees brimming with generations of anger over their treatment." Ophelia frowned, recalling this history so clearly, her mind a flawless tome of her life in Helovia. "However, I find it rather noble that this outcasted herd has taken it upon themselves to right their wrongs and ask for alliances - and Midas was the only one to reject."

Ophelia smiled grimly, shaking her head and taking a deep breath. The breeze picked up the bloodied ends of her ivory locks, and she glanced up into his rich, blue eyes. For as simple as he seemed, she was beginning to realize that Gaucho was quite intelligent and rather observant. "Forgive me for laying my troubles on you," she added rather suddenly, aware that she had commanded the conversation for quite some time. "While I am here, please let me know what can be done with your herd. I wish for my presence to be useful to you and yours." The motives were not ulterior. She genuinely desired to serve the citizens of the Basin. Allies were close, bonded, brethren, and she would work to maintain these ties.

Ascended Helovian

The idea that the Throat did not need to detain Confutatis quieted Gaucho. He would indeed let his herd know that the skull-marked mare was to be treated with aggression and hostility, but that he did not need to deliver her back to the icy North was a pleasing tidbit of information. The warrior always liked to deal with his problems in-house.

Gaucho listened to the Foresaken's account of her nephew, Hototo, in silence. His gaze traced the movement of her jaw as her skull gently traced some invisible dance through the air. He had never encountered the Earth Singer, as he was called. The child of the Earth was entirely unknown to him, that was until the magic that coursed through his veins had slain the boy. The looking of dying horror and realization was the only greeting he had ever received from Hototo, and the only one he ever would receive as well.

As the conversation turned to Midas, Gaucho's lips returned to a thin line of disapproval. His dark gaze appeared surprised as he learned that Midas had been the one to turn down a friendship with the Basin. The dun knew that his former ally and friend had always held a deep seated mistrust of their unicorn neighbors. Until recently, Gaucho had harboured the same dogmatic hate that the paint had, but oddly it hadn't take much to persuade him of his ignorance. It was true that the Basin had invaded the Throat not so long ago, but the words of Hotaru and Ophelia had seemed so sensible. And not only their words, but their actions had only served as further justification in his mind that whatever strain had been placed upon the two herds during Kri's reign, was no longer there. Gaucho had simply assumed that Midas had just brought his inclinations and biases with him - but to learn that he had turned down an offer of friendship was shocking. Midas has always seemed so wise, so militantly-minded with enough political savvy to make him fairly well rounded. Was his painted ex-friend harbouring a secret army that neither he nor the Foresaken knew about? It would be the only explanation that would make any sense to Gaucho at this point.

"Busy." Gaucho voiced, chewing the word in his mouth first like a piece of fat, before spitting it out. "Like the way he too busy on Island, for your sister, and nephew?"

He let his rhetorical question go unanswered as her history lesson swallowed up his attention. Had Kri ever spoken of such events? He couldn't actually recall a time when she had ... all he knew was that the feisty and petite former Sultana had been allies with Mirage, the leader of the Edge. As far as Gaucho knew, Pegasi dwelt in the Throat, Equines in the Edge, and Unicorns in the Basin. The Falls - or former Foothills - had always been some weird commie bastardization of species. That's how it had always been .. at least ever since Gaucho had arrived. They hadn't done many history lessons in his time as a warrior-in-training.

"Gaucho not know Deimos but ... It better to be hated for what you are, than crimes that you not commit." Would Ophelia know of what he was referring? He might either have meant a general statement, that a herd should not be penalized for the crimes of its former rules, or was he referring to his specific circumstance? Either way, his words seemed true.

As she offered modesty and gratitude, Gaucho shook his antlered skull. In truth, the dun was happy to receive Ophelia. She was one of the few who seemed to know when best to shout, and when best to whisper. Ophelia's presence always demanded attention, irregardless of what form she took: gentle ally, or warrior queen. The Wildfire respected and valued both.

Reaching around, the dun plucked something from between his feathers. It was a small item - something crafted out of metal that was vaguely in the shape of a dragon's head. Where the tail of the dragon would be seemed to be a rise and fall of several roughly equal shapes: a key. Soon the Throat would become an island. Already the ability to do so was within the Wildfire, and yet it was not used. He would wait until his herd had completed their questing, until the magical bridge was complete. Isolating his herd members was as much of a mistake as isolating his enemies.

Extending his muzzle, Gaucho placed the key upon the sands so that Ophelia could pick it up at her leisure.

"Soon Throat will be an Island .. But wings not the only way on and off. Throat appreciate Basin's aid in completing our quest. We also - Gaucho also - appreciates continued friendship. This key will open gate. There is no lock - key just needs to be close enough to bridge to activate. Then you will be transferred across with wings of fire." Although it wasn't a reality yet, it all sounded very grand to Gaucho. And, as a creature gifted with the ability to fly speaking with one who was not, he assumed the idea of being able to glide - even if completely artificially - would sound wondrous.

@[Ophelia]

Gaucho the Wildfire