the Rift

[PRIVATE] but innocence is gone

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when the sky turns grey and everything is screaming
i will reach inside just to find my heart is beating</style>

Her anger had not lessened in the time it took to travel from the Edge to the meadow where Ophelia was patiently waiting for her return. How dare Midas. How dare he speak her name and sound like he was the one who had lost something so precious. She had carried Hototo inside of her body until the day of his birth. She had spent countless hours standing over him while he slept, forgetting about her own needs to see to her son and make sure that he slept. That that he ate. That he played. She had gone without her own companion when Hototo had wanted explore on his own just so she could make sure he was safe. When it was cold she had used her body to as a buffer to block the wind. She was the one that had gotten into scuffles with the ones who got too close. What had Midas done? He had taught Hototo to fly, something that Ktulu was confident the boy would have picked up on his own just as Ranjiri had.

What sacrifice did Midas make while he remained tucked away in the Throat? And he had the nerve to look at her with those eyes. With that look and croak her name with all the pain of a dying man. She snorted harshly as she stalked behind Archibald, her dark ears sill pinned back against her head. He knew nothing of her pain and he would do well enough to heed her warning and stay away from her or else she would show him what true pain really was.

'Almost there.' Eytan's soft voice cut through to Ktulu and she jerked her head upward, her ears finally rising. In the distance she could see the pale speck that was Ophelia and she could feel the anger that she'd held onto beginning to slip away. She wanted so desperately to hold onto that anger because she could deal with anger. It was the sadness and grief that she could not handle, that dragged her down and made her heart ache and her legs feel like stone.

"."

ooc://
@[Archibald]
@[Ophelia]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

KTULU & ARCHIBALD
We are the ones who will never be broken
With our final breath
We’ll fight to the death

Archibald led the woman to the meadow where she would be reunited with her sister. He stayed silent, mostly, knowing no words he had would be a balm to Ktulu's open, festering wounds. Losing a child was the worst of hurts--and Archibald knew that personally--and there was no sense in mindlessly attempting to console his comrade. His presence was enough to show his sorrow for her and also his loyalty and heart, and he knew the Constrictor would accept that. They were soldiers, fighters, blood hunters down to the very core, and they spoke a different language than others they encountered. They spoke the language of strength and defiance, and Archibald would be Ktulu's crutch to regain her stability on that realm of warriorness once more if that was what she needed of him. But if she needed him to just be a shadow, watching and guarding, he would do that as well, standing vigilantly in the darkness as a specter.

Ophelia's light form was a flickering candle in the distance and the king picked up his pace to a gentle trot. He turned his head over his shoulder to watch Ktulu as he picked up his step. His golden eyes met her crimson and he gave her a steady nod. She was going to leave him to be with her sister, and part of that panged Archibald's heart, but the warlord understood. He understood the bond that twins shared, having his own twin. There was something about sharing a womb that bound two souls together for life. It was different than the companion bond he felt with Loretta, and in some ways it was stronger. While Vincent was not inside of his mind at all times, he knew the identical stallion inside and out and vice versa. He only assumed that it was the same with Ktulu and Ophelia--but Ophelia could be inside of Ktulu's head. She could hear and understand and feel Ktulu's hurts. It was what Ktulu needed.

But what about what Archibald needed? He was mourning, too. Circe was lost to the hooves of the Moon Goddess and his children were residing in the Dragon's Throat until his daughter was strong enough to join him in the World's Edge. He had wounds, too, and his twin was nowhere to be found to soothe them.

Archibald was alone.

[As always, Ophelia has perpetual permission to read Archibald's mind should she desire to. :3]

We are soldiers, we are soldiers

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
OPHELIA
A lifeless face that you'll soon forget

Ophelia stood like a beacon in a sea of midnight green, the rare, cool wind playing games with bloodied hair. She waited patiently, body still as stone and without thought. Why would she have reason to be impatient? Why would she pace? Standing and waiting for her sister was the easiest task she would ever do in her life – well, perhaps not. Being there for her sister was the easiest task she would ever do – just like now. No mountain could stand in her way if Ktulu was on the other side, and no man could hurt her in a way that she wouldn't toil to undo. For some, the pale princess was completely and wholly selfless, willing to drain herself dry for those fortunate few who not only commanded her loyalty, but her very soul.

Two dark figures moved in the distance, and she felt her heart leap in her chest. Without a single thought to danger, she loped forward, meeting Archibald and Ktulu with the weight of pain and anguish resting between the three. Ophelia did not know their pain – not truly. She had lost her mother, a mare who had served as her role model, but that relationship did not compare to the intimacy of parent and child or lover to lover. Immediately, she embraced her sister, tightly, curling her slender neck over Ktulu’s muscular one. She buried her mousy gray muzzle in Ktulu’s mane and inhaled deeply, nuzzling over her crest in such a rare, open act of adoration – especially for Ophelia who usually hid beneath shadows and at a distance.

Strange, dual colored eyes flickered to Archibald, seeing loss written like shock across his features, and she briefly removed herself from her sister to approach the towering behemoth. She was dwarfed in his shadow, but that did not keep her from offering a similar gesture of apology and commiseration. Ophelia gently touched her muzzle to his shoulder, breathing against his charcoal skin before stepping back, offering a sad smile. “I met one of your boys, Archibald,” she murmured softly, even her whisper shattering the silence of agony. “Abraham is wise beyond his years and reminds me so much of you. You should be proud.” Ophelia wanted to invite him to join, but she did not think he would. He was a man of duty – one to carefully hide his feelings and trudge ever onward. She admired him for that ability, and she took a step back, letting Ktulu’s mind flood her own.

What she found shocked her to her core, and she visibly recoiled, eyes darting to her sisters’. How dare he bring a new pregnant mate to her herd! Ophelia felt her heart hammer in her chest as blood lust white washed her mind with a single desire to destroy. Never had she felt so wholly consumed with rage, only a passenger on a ship in a maelstrom. “He…” she growled, violence flashing in her eyes. “Brought a pregnant, one-winged pegasus?” Gray nostrils flared, and she forced herself to stay rooted at her sister’s side lest the puppetmaster of her emotions send her careening head first into a challenge. Fuck him,” she snarled, the curse strangely falling from her normally chaste lips.

She didn't need rationality or logic. She didn't need the other side of the story. The only one she belonged it was Ktulu's.

@[Archibald] @[Ktulu]

Image by Twistyh-stock @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when the sky turns grey and everything is screaming
i will reach inside just to find my heart is beating</style>

Ktulu could see her sister's pale coat and was not surprised in the slightest when she moved to meet them rather than allow them to walk all the way to her. As soon as the three came together Ktulu found herself in Ophelia's embrace, and she sighed softly, her dark body relaxing against her sister's. It was like when they were younger and Ophelia had to shoulder the burden that was Ktulu. She had come far since then, had thought herself strong, but her heart was not nearly strong enough to carry the weight of grief alone. "Thank you." She whispered as she felt Ophelia's muzzle in her mane.

When her sister released her Ktulu looked to Archibald, knowing that he had to feel the same pain that she was; like a chunk of his heart had been ripped away that would never be mended. Along with the constant throb of grief there was guilt becuase he had supported her, allowed her a shoulder to cry on, had been her strength when he had to have been crumbling as well. Silently, she reached out to touch her muzzle to his shoulder as her sister spoke of his son. How would she ever be able to repay him for his understanding; for allowing her to forget her duties for the chance to heal when he could not be given the same opportunity? It was then that she understood the depth of their friendship and his devotion and she would never be able to find the right words to express her gratitude.

Ophelia returned to her side and the sudden change in her demeanor was disoncerting at first because it had been a long time since Ktulu had seen such rage in her sister's mismatched eyes. When she spoke, however, Ktulu snorted her distaste at the arrival of Midas and the one winged mare that he had brought along. "Was she pregnant?" Ktulu had been far to angry and far too focused on Midas to pay much attention to the grey that had come with him. She wouldn't have been none the wiser had it not been for Ophelia's ability to get inside of her mind and see what she had seen.

"Fuck him!"

Anger roiled within Ktulu's chest as she remembered, once more, the way he had looked at her and spoken his name. "Yes." She agreed quietly. Fuck him. Fuck his pain. Fuck his existence. "He thinks he knows pain but he knows nothing." Her eyes shifted to meet her sister's. "Hototo was not his son. He was my son."

"."

ooc://
@[Archibald]
@[Ophelia]

Credits

Icon by Tay

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

KTULU & ARCHIBALD
We are the ones who will never be broken
With our final breath
We’ll fight to the death

The candle flickering in the distance, the shining light that was Ophelia, suddenly rushed them. Archibald closed as the distance was closed by the blood-painted lady, and the stallion lowered his head some. A tension seemed to lift from his shoulders, but it did not make him any more comfortable. Ophelia embraced Ktulu, pulling the ebon mare tight into her breast and Archibald saw as Ktulu relaxed in the warmth of her sister's love. Archibald's ears flattened some and he glanced away, giving them a moment of privacy that they deserved. Out of the years he had known the sisters, nothing like this hurricane of sorrow and defeat had ever hit them before. No struggle prior to this was as heavy, as difficult, as deeply cutting. Even when his daughter Callisto passed in her birth, it was a silent endeavor that the Dauntless carried in his heart and only shared his mourning with Circe. Now, however, all of Helovia was mourning in some way at the loss of a loved one. Archibald and Ktulu and Ophelia were mourning together--a mate, a mother, and an aunt--and they shared each others hearts more intimately now than in any moment before.

This would make them stronger, Archibald knew.

When the pristine lady stepped forward to press her muzzle into his shoulder, Archibald turned and extended his neck. Gently, the King planted a dry kiss of a thank you on the point of her flawless, left shoulder. He closed his eyes for a moment and exhaled deeply, his breath warm as it tickled over her. He pulled up, golden eyes matching her bihued, and he offered a smile. A small string plucked at his heart, though darkened, and he nodded his head. "I am," Archibald was impressed with the demeanor he had apparently presented to Ophelia, for the Dauntless knew his son to have all of the potential for cruelty that he had--and an even more inclination toward it. Nonetheless, his boys held a place of high regard and love in his heart--nothing that they did could take away his love for them. They were his flesh and blood, mixed with the delicate and fierce heart of his departed mare.

Archibald took a step back and looked to Ktulu, brushing his muzzle against her withers just a moment before Ophelia spoke. The behemoth tightened his jaw and his eyes narrowed, and at his side suddenly a deep growl left Loretta's throat--a guttural and dangerous sound. "He was never around in Hototo's life--from what I saw when your boy was with us in the Foothills." Archibald shared the anger with them, just as moments before he had shared their sorrow. Reality gripped Archibald's mind and had kept him grounded at their meeting, but every fiber of his soul and his heart wanted to throttle the puny pegasus stallion. Archibald wanted to rip him limb from limb for causing Ktulu pain. He wanted to see the light leave his eyes and fear enter as Archibald came down, the harbinger of his destruction.

We are soldiers, we are soldiers

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
OPHELIA
A lifeless face that you'll soon forget

Ophelia physically shook with the strength of her rage, gaze narrowing and eyes shimmering with bloodshed and violence. She held her hooves firmly in the ground, listening to her sister, seeing that she had not recognized the slight swell in Africa’s belly. Such details were rarely lost on Ophelia who stored everything away so perfectly, and she nodded once, tersely. “He did not follow you to the Foothills,” she said simply. At the time, the pale princess had not demanded that he do so, and in fact, she had fought Midas’ duty to his herd rather honorable. She had found her sister’s demands somewhat intrusive. However, that was before she knew love and before she yearned to return home to someone. Her heart stilled in her chest, the rage cooled by the winter’s breath of Torleik’s memory, and she frowned.

Age and experience had a way of both illuminating and tainting the past and the present, and regardless of her feelings then, this is what Ktulu felt now. This is what Ophelia felt now. She would stand by her sister’s side forever and always because Ktulu would always stand by hers, and their love would never falter or sway. Only death could separate them from each other, and even then, the Lady knew that they would embrace again in the afterlife. What did anything else compare to in this world? What petty argument or silly point of view could ever sway her to deviate from the pain and joy of her twin’s heart?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Archibald’s words rang true. Midas rarely visited Hototo himself, and Ophelia snorted angrily, clenching her jaw tightly. The pale princess threw her head back and growled, the expression feral and violent. She tilted her head forward again and took a deep breath which did little to calm her desire to decimate the one who caused Ktulu such pain. “I will see you soon, Archibald. Thank you,” she replied, nodding to him respectfully. Overwhelmed with the urge to move, she nodded to her sister. “Come; I will take you home.” She marched north, forcing herself not to sway to the East.

Image by Twistyh-stock @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!