the Rift

Chasing The Wind[Questing]

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Bucephalus the Morningstar

We land in the Heavenly Fields, me with anxious anticipation and Azeeza with joy. Her wings have grown strong, dark blue-black primaries sticking out of wings still covered in chick fluff, with patches of juvenile feathers here and there. It was time; I had left Gaucho shortly after we departed the Edge, and had taken my time in coming here.

And now I stand, the wind curling around me, gusting gently, playfully. I greet her with closed eyes, feeling my anxiety melt away. The wind... it was my guide, my playmate, eternal and elusive... and I had to capture her. That was wrong, and I open my eyes, gazing at the Fields. Could I do this? Bind the element I was born and devoted to, into a power for my own use? Hindsight 20/20, perhaps I should have considered the consequences of the power I desired.

But I was here now, given a mission by the Sun god to capture the wind.

"Forgive me love... Allow me this selfishness." I breathed, closing my eyes. I was torn, and before I could talk myself out of this I leap into the air, wings hurtling me into the sky. High I fly, bidding Azeeza to not follow, and she accepts my wish and remains in a tree, watching me rise.

Higher and higher I go, until the air is almost too thin to carry me, until my breath frosts and my lungs labor to drag enough air into my body. There I hover, eyes closed, regret in my chest for what I am about to try to do. I plead to my friend, to the air, for forgiveness before I turn my head, rummaging around in my satchel for the vial I had discovered, confident the seal inside of it would keep the air in. I didn't know if it would be enough to satisfy the God, or if it would even work... but I had to try.

Vial open, in my mouth, I steel my resolve before folding my wings, hanging in the air for a scarce fraction of a second before I plummet. My wings unfurl a bit, feeling the air currents as I shoot past, searching for the right current.

There!

I twist, wings snapping out to slip into the air current, unable to help the faint laugh in my chest at the acrobatics, the joy of flight always soothing my fears.

Settled into the current, I prepare the vial's stopper, excitement growing within my limbs.

Let the chase begin.

@[Random Event]

Can't Chain Me Down
I'm Comin' At You At The Speed Of Sound
Image :: Table

Pixel by Aud

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The vial shatters. Light seems to ignite within the container, throwing shards of glass every which way. The light screams outwards, very much like a physical force, throwing Bucephalus down to where the air is calmer and less thin.

Air is not wind a voice seems to hiss, mocking his efforts.

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
<style>.forest::-webkit-scrollbar {width: 2px;} .forest::-webkit-scrollbar-track {background-color: #fff;} .forest::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {background-color: #d6af9f; border-top: 10px solid #fff; border-bottom: 10px solid #fff;}</style>

the girl.

The girl watched.

She had been perched in the Fields, in her raven form. It was much easier hiding this way. Although her face was marked by the skull markings that adorned her face in her regular form, she was at least slightly less noticeable this way. Perhaps it was because she was smaller. In her normal form, her legs had already grown considerably, as had her body. She was far, far too large to be only half a season old - she almost looked like a yearling. A yearling who was well on her way to becoming a giant.

When the mostly black pegasus had taken to the skies, the girl had broken her meditative state to watch. Her attention had been particularly drawn when he flew higher than most did - higher to where the air grew thin and a significant amount of energy was needed to maintain altitude. She wondered what it was he could possibly be doing.

Taking to the air herself upon blackened wings, the raven flew lazily upwards, although not nearly as high as Bucephalus. From where she was however, she could see him as he took out the vial and seemingly tried to put something into it. But what? A bug? She mused silently. As the glass shattered she thought that a bug might be very likely, albeit a terribly strong one.

Air is not wind!

The voice rang true in her ears, and suddenly the girl wondered if that was what the pegasus had been doing. Trying to capture the wind? Why? Interested, she flew higher.

"What are you doing?" She asked boldly, the words of a young girl coming elegantly out of the beak of a crow.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

The explosion hit Bucephalus hard, and he jerked his head back as the bottle shattered, a few shards of glass embedding in his gums. Quickly he spat out the glass best he could, ears flicking back as the voice hissed through the air.

"That is a matter of debate. Is wind not air given movement?" I mumbled, gliding away from the spot of my defeat. No matter... I would think of something again shortly, although the problem would be the crafting of a container.

Azeeza flew up towards me, clicking and chirping in worry, feeling the pain in her bonded's mouth as if it was within her own, and I had to reassure her it didn't really hurt as bad as she thought. Which it didn't, and eventually she settled on my back, grooming mys shoulder feathers in a gesture one does to a child to calm them and distract from the hurt. It helped, and amused me, and only made the love I held for this precious chick grow even more tender.

However a voice breaks my focus from Azeeza, and I turn to see a youth, a child, who flew towards us, asking about my actions. "Trying to catch the wind. She does not approve of my efforts." I cannot help but laugh. Despite my failure with the vial, and the way the voice had mocked me... It didn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. This was just a test, and I was determined to eventually draw her close and make her a part of me... As much as I desired this magic, I was not opposed to taking my time.

One cannot be hasty to chase the wind. Perhaps that was where I failed in.

@[Isopia]
Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
<style>.forest::-webkit-scrollbar {width: 2px;} .forest::-webkit-scrollbar-track {background-color: #fff;} .forest::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {background-color: #d6af9f; border-top: 10px solid #fff; border-bottom: 10px solid #fff;}</style>

the girl.

[FYI she's in her raven form, so she looks like a black raven with her skull markings. Not a child :) ]

Briefly the girls' eyes darted to the fledgling bird that accompanied the pegasus. Was this a creature to whom he was bonded? Or did he just have an affinity with and for birds? Her own presence here oddly made that seem strange, at least to her.

The girl's black wings beat as she hovered. Why would anyone want to catch the wind? And why did Bucephalus seem to personify the breeze as being female? "Why would you do that?" She asked, and then immediately mentally recanted her statement. That wasn't what she thought was interesting. His motivations for his actions were likely quite common. They came from a land imbued with magic after all. Was it really so surprising that he was trying to capture the wind? And if not for magic, perhaps it was some weird ritual, or even a gift. The girl had heard that females liked receiving gifts. Maybe that's what he was up to.

Her head shook as she tried to mentally erase the question so she could ask the one she was truly interested in: "Why would you think that would work?" She inquired, meaning to reference the glass vial. There was not only the question of physics, of how best to contain something like air, but also of what constituted wind.

Wind necessarily was something that moved, was it not? And so, regardless of how fast he might have been going, or the location he was in when he 'captured' it, the air inside would be stationary. Thus, not wind.

The whole thing seemed simple enough. At least to the girl. Maybe things were more complicated for others.

Image Credits

If the black seemed disturbed by talking to a crow with the voice of a young girl, he didn't show it. In all honesty, Helovia was a magic place, as much as Sehrau had been, so this...well he couldn't be surprised for longer than a second. Either this was a hallucination or reality(He couldn't quite be sure), but regardless here he was. Talking to a bird. Yep, normal.

He hovered in the air, Azeeza landing on his rump(his shoulders were moving too much for her to stand comfortably), her golden gaze on the raven curiously. Hesitantly she nudged her bonded's mind, questioning whether the bird was food or not. Firmly, but with amusement, the black corrected her. Whether this be a goddess(the Wild One often took the form of a rook, as the Wind Lord had an eagle), enchantment or curse, it would be rude to eat the guest.

At her question he made a shrugging movement, wings faltering before they picked back up the beat to keep him hovering. "Eh, was worth a shot. One never knows what works in this land or not." A twinge through his chest, painful and shredding in it's destruction, leaving grief and longing in it's wake. He was so achingly alone in fits such as this, where the remembrance of his cut-off from the Sacre, the song of life, hit him like a freight train.

His wings faltered again, albeit for a different reason before he made a gesture for the crow to follow as he descended towards the earth. He didn't trust the slow trembling that crept through his body while in flight. Nah, he had plummeted once before in an uncontrolled fall, and had no intentions of repeating the horrific event. The Morningstar didn't relax until all four hooves landed upon the ground, not even Azeeza's preening his tail feathers had soothed the pain that threatened to steal his breath away.

Ever composed during these fits, however, the black regarded the crow with curious golden eyes even as the pain continued to rage through his chest, choking him. "I am curious however; Are you truly a raven or a goddess? If the latter... well I either did something wonderful or utterly stupid." His lips twitched, although the smile was forced, his voice strained, his subtle facade flickering. Azeeza chirred softly, moving towards his shoulders, pressing her small body against his neck, trying to comfort the pain she did not understand.

OOC: Hope you don't mind the little bit of powerplay? ^^; I can edit it if need be)

@[Isopia]
Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud

the girl.

In her mind the girl shrugged. The stallion's words seemed to make sense - Helovia was truly a strange place. If one were not as meticulous in their thinking and she thought herself to be, she could see why trial and error might prove a reasonable method. However, even if Helovia was as strange as Bucephalus made it out to be, the girl still didn't think capturing the wind in a vial was a smart move.

The girl glided easily behind him. Although his body moved much faster than her own given his larger wing span and weight, she did her best to keep up. As he landed, the girl paused, considering taking to the air once again. If the stallion was not going to continue his efforts to capture the wind, she was sure he wouldn't be very interesting. However his inquiry kept her fluttering before him, as her avian head cocked to the side slightly.

The girl had never actually considered the question. She was certainly not a goddess, but nor was she simply a mortal. She was in some ambiguous limbo between the two. "Clearly I am a raven." She remarked as her wings held her in the air a few feet away. The crooked marking of death that lined her face contorted as her beak opened and closed with her words. "But that is not all." Her body began to expand and reshape itself. Her wings grew substantially longer and lost their black sheen - instead becoming a mismatched maroon and cream. Long legs sprouted from the avian body, as she dropped delicately to the ground now appearing more equine than avian. The only thing that remained the same in her transformation was her hard golden stare, and the skull markings on her face.

"I am the child of the Earth God." She concluded once her transformation was complete. Her quad-horned skull was level as she regarded Bucephalus' reaction. She was unsure what being a goddess had to do with his behavior - that her arrival was predicated on him being stupid or wonderful. What did one have to do with the other?

Image Credits