the Rift

Bird Food.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

It sat like a crowned jewel, nestled safety in the middle of a log. The shell gleamed in the sun, reflecting back the beams; it’s brightness blinding to anyone who looked at it directly. Sitting to the side of the scaled egg was a raven, it's black body is larger than usual with white spots around it’s beady black eyes. Every now and then the raven gently taps a talon against the log, the creature appears to be pondering something of great importance. After a moment the bird stretches it’s wings, expanding them to their full width; the soft feathers underneath are coloured with deep hued reds. Settling back down the raven taps the egg three last times.

tap...tap...tap...

Suddenly the dark bird tips it’s head back and lets out an almighty caw, summoning the inhabitants of Helovia. The sound is carried through the air, reaching any who lurked in the forest. They would have to prove themselves to discover the prize, it would not be given away on a whim. The bird watched as each arrived, sitting beside the egg as if made from stone. Judging each on appearance the creature did not speak until he was ready. Instead he leers at each for a minute or two, watching them and the nerve they show in his wake. When the bird finally did decide to speak it comes out in a croak, the words garbled and at times difficult to understand. "A prize! A prize, it’s on all the minds." A screaming laugh which could chill the blood of all warm creatures in the near vicinity comes from the bird, the first task would be fun, watching them scrabble.

The creature starts slowly, once again stretching his wings and then gently beginning to flap. Around them the wind begins to pick up, strengthening with each flap of the mighty wings. The clutter upon the forest floor begins to sweep away as the winds get stronger, the trees rustle and it grows until they are howling. Rocks roll, sticks, leaves and dirt whips through the air, carried by the wind. Quickly it becomes a gust strong enough to bowl medium sized animals over and it's growing stronger by the minute. In the centre of the gale is the bird and egg, unmoved and untouched by the wind.

You must choose what your character will do in the wake of this gale-force wind.

This is a drop for a Non-species specific COMMON companion!
Please respond within 72 hours to be considered.
This is a multi-part drop.
All prior refusals must be included in your first post but only for NSS mythical companions.
The companion must have been on your wishlist for 30 days, or you must have a new character with a new wishlist to participate.
Image Credits

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
Auriel
I like roaming and wandering, but it was nowhere near as exciting as Shida's dog was. I kind of know that I managed to get a few more powers, but the fact that she had a dog was just utterly amazing. It seemed to be the one thing that would willingly follow her around. Since I couldn't have the bond with Shida all the time, I'd really like to get one of those things too. Plus, I tend to get lonely really easy so this would just make my blah days a little better.

As I explore, my mind keeps wandering back to the little ferret thing. He seemed to know about the dog things, and the egg things, so maybe I should try and find him? Thus, my newest adventure ensues. I can't quite remember where he is at, but once I find myself in the forest I know I'm inexplicably lost. Fear seizes control for a moment, dulling all of my normal rationality. I swallow, only to catch the glimpse of something in the distance. It's shiny, and I just need to go for it. I mean, shiny things cannot be passed up. I pick up a waddle-y trot only to stop in fear again. A black bird suddenly screams out, that there is a prize. Of course, why can not shiny things just be given out for free? My fear subsides into broiling annoyance as I stop to investigate further. Maybe I was meant to get lost, and this shiny light would be an egg!

Whatever it was, I can't get close enough. A wind starts to stew, slowly at first. Im utterly confused, because there was no wind earlier. Was a storm picking up? As I moved a few steps closer, the breeze becomes something of heavy wind. It rushes by gently, stirring dirt and debris. Yet, it isn't done. Suddenly it seems to be a gale, whistling past my ears. Moving becomes hard, so I get as close as I can and settle against a large, round tree that seems to be taking the force of the wind. I'm too small to get much further in this, so at least this tree can help keep me in place. I can't afford to get injured.

Glancing around, I look for others. Who would be here with me? Or anyone to say the least? Was I going crazy, was the gale actually real? A life crisis suddenly wells within my body as I close my eyes and cringe against the tree. At least this thing will hold me; unless a tornado decides to brew of course. That's when I realize.. wait a minute.

That bird called out from somewhere right? It probably made this too. If I can, maybe I can take him down. Suddenly, I scream out, the high pitched noise resonating heavily within my chest. Maybe a child screaming in pain, plus a few side effects, would get the wind to stop. Of course, that was if this bird was the source of this trouble.

[Auriel uses a tree for support, and screams her high-frequency scream to try and distract whatever is causing the wind to stop it.]
[Hellhound, Acid (Wishlist) || One Refusal]

she belongs to the fire
Image Credit
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

If one were to measure successes by luck, by serendipity, by chance, by fate, or by kismet, Erebos had lost and won in equal strokes. His talents had lain in discovering bits and pieces of himself, in scouring the countryside in search of power and potency, when it merely lay dormant within him all along, eager and waiting for exposure, for temptation, for allure. As he explored, as he investigated, as he worked and chiseled and sculpted away at the confines of enigmas and mysteries, he’d made friends, allies, and enemies, bolstered the gallant expertise, heightened the stature of the darkness coiled and curled around him. The lad had been a privileged being, capable of so many things, and then…failing at so many others. His eyes had glanced at Gods and been in awe of their mastery, his body had been in the presence of monsters and lived to tell the tale, his stature had been composed and riddled and triumphed over and he’d found a way to survive, but he’d also watched as others grasped hold of prowess. He’d been witness to their conquests, a silent, lithe shadow, saying nothing as one more clenched and seized something he’d wanted, something he’d craved, something he’d tried so desperately to snag. It made his desires churn, it made an avaricious swing in his chest pulse and beat, it made the pervading surroundings seem all encompassing and tainted, but determination, resolution, and perseverance, so entrenched, so lacquered to his sentiments, always won. The scion raised his head from the loss, time and time again, not a chosen being but another of the mass, of the throng, of the gathered crowd deemed incapable (and then always left wondering: what did he have to show? What did he have to do?).

Maybe the forest could provide answers, for within, a warren, a puzzle, a conundrum bloomed, and he followed the trails of its ascension, raising long, lanky limbs (which never seemed to stop growing) over stumps and roots, becoming another of the predators and prey in the dim, smoky husk of shadowed abyss. An omniscient caw boomed and echoed throughout the wood, and he ceased all movement for a moment, twisting an ear towards the sound, towards the summoning, already provoked and incensed by its obscure qualities. The princeling rumbled along the makeshift path, beguiled and enticed, deep, fluttering yearnings clustered and twisting amidst his blackguard enamel, because the winds began howling, cackling, laughing, and a chill ran down the length of his spine - a prize, a prize! - his eyes widened when he finally arrived at the befuddling sight. There was an egg, and it had to mean something, it had to be something, like all the companions he’d seen, like Adelric and Tobias, an object, a friend, he craved the most. The mystery held limitless bounds, because how was he supposed to get to it?

While the wind seared and scorched, threw petulant shards of rock, soil, grass, and roots, he closed his eyes against its maelstrom and struggled to come up with a solution. There was someone, nestled and quartered nearby, screeching and screaming at the top of their lungs (and it was deafening and defiant; please make it stop), he pinned his ears, trying in vain to close off the disturbing composition. Perhaps that was their magic, their ability – he had several, but would they be of any use? Setting fire to the forest would do more harm than good, and flames would likely only be ripped apart or added to the haunting forces. Water-walking when there was no water in sight wouldn’t assuage the dilemma either. All that was left was the strange, for he knew almost naught about it, hadn’t ever wielded it to great fruition or understood its power, was the darkness flowing within his veins, stretching and reeling with his emotions. Opening one eye, forelock shielding the other with rapid assertion at the wind’s touch, he stared upon the tiny egg, lost and forlorn, and wondered if there was any poison or venom in it. Could he coax it towards him? Could he invite it with bestial invocations? With sinister bestowals? With savage creeds and promises? Slowly, he courted the fanning plumes of iniquity, of immorality, through the blistering haze, a seething, simmering call of corruption, summoning, beckoning, reaching for the egg’s sentiments and ruminations, yearning it to follow and find him, roll towards the shade of safety.

OOC;;
[Erebos attempts to coax the egg towards him using his dark corruption magic.]

Wishlist - Kitsune with Dark Illusions magic

Refusal One Refusal Two

TAG;; @[ ]

image credits
- table by Niki -

Kipling Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Somebody has to go polish the stars
The Deep Forest was a lonely place, or so Kipling had come to believe. Despite many excursions into the dark woods, he had yet to encounter anyone here. There were signs of life, but none ever seemed to materialize. The whispering trees and rustling undergrowth should have unsettled anyone with at least an iota of common sense; fortunately for Kipling, he was not afflicted with that particular predilection. He actually rather liked the Deep Forest. Companionship and herd life were all well and good, but he had been his own best friend for a very long time. He craved quality time with his own obscure little thoughts, and this seemed as good a place as any to be alone in Helovia.

Kipling was considering a large, bulbous white mushroom when the bird's scream shattered his studies. He jerked his head up, ears twitching, then shrugged his narrow shoulders and trotted in the direction of the sound. It was easy enough to find its source - the forest Kipling had thought empty suddenly buzzed to life, and like iron filings to a magnet, they followed the caw.

A raven and an egg greeted them in shrill, sinister fashion. Again, the "common sense" thing should have kept Kipling away, and again, he remained thoughtfully oblivious. Why is the egg so shiny? I've never seen an egg like this. Ravens usually lay more than one egg, and this doesn't look like a normal raven, anyways - it's colored differently. Besides, ravens don't talk. But neither did turtles, and the turtle in the sky talked…

I want to talk to him.

So consumed by his thoughts, Kipling hadn't noticed the wind picking up around him. By the time he tried to step forward, a ferocious gale was pushing him back; he would've had to use all of his strength simply to shout loud enough to be heard, and that seemed like no way to have a conversation. The raven-thing and its egg-thing remained oddly - almost supernaturally - unmoved. Carefully stepping with the wind, Kipling stumbled to the nearest tree, squinting at the log to shield his eyes from the flying debris. How can I talk to him now? I have to get him to come closer…

On cue, the amulet Kipling carried around his neck thumped against the center of his chest. Of course! He had seen ravens carrying shiny things before, and the amulet was pretty shiny… He just had to get the bird to come to him. The stallion swung his head around and easily bit through the vine that secured his prize, grasping both ends of the now-broken rope firmly in his teeth. The amulet flew back towards him, struggling to break free and blow away. Kipling held on, mumble-whinnying loudly through his closed mouth in a desperate attempt to get the bird's attention.

If only this damn wind would die down so we could talk…!

Kipling's heart wrenched as, without explanation, his only idea literally shattered, precious shards flying helplessly away in the gust. He frowned, opening his mouth and letting the now-useless vine go, too. "Can we just talk?" He shouted, exasperated, and flung himself scrambling forward towards the eye of the storm where the strange bird and its strange prize safely sat.

OOC: Kipling tries to get the raven's attention with his Earth amulet and accidentally activates it with unknown effects, evidently hoping it will ward him from the wind so that he can safely approach the log.

Wishlist - Cerndyr (Earth Spirit).
No prior refusals.
Kipling

Arya Posts: 50
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 2
Minx
Arya pranced in her typical fashion, unaware of what lay ahead. She could see a group in the distance. In the recent past groups meant foreboding things, typically, death. She could hear a voice and something about a prize. Excitement bubbled up inside her and she charged forward to see why before her lay. Both ears perked forward when she saw an egg. She knew what lay inside and she couldn't help but pine for the small creature that lay in there.

Out of nowhere a gust of wind hit them all. Arya lowered her head and kept her eyes focused on the bird where she noticed the winds ceased. For a long moment she contemplated bolting forward toward the calm area. Yet she couldn't help the fact it might convey her as greedy. Yes she wanted the child inside for her own companionship. She wanted someone like Odette or Alice to dote on and play with. She tried to imagine what her father or mother would do in that moment. Dèodat would've bolted toward the prize without a second thought. Hotaru would try and charm the bird most likely. The huntress wasn't her mother. She decided then to carefully maneuver herself forward, stopping near trees to secure her place to move near the egg and the bird. Both of her eyes were squinted by the harsh winds, and she could feel it's force but she press onward with determination. Inside there was calm. Inside there was the prize she sought.

[Prior refusal
Prior Refusal

Wishlist

Arya is seeking a Hellhound with acid ability.

Summary: Presses herself against a tree but then starts to maneuver herself toward the bird and the egg by using trees for support.]

• tag in opening posts only 
• violence/magic is permitted. maiming/death is not without prior permission

Helovian Ancient

The wind continued to whip around, causing an almighty storm. Perhaps the sheer strength of the winds was due to disappointment; he had expected more to arrive and seek the prize on offer. No matter, these four would do well for now. The egg and the raven reminded untouched, not a feather out of place and amusement burning in his beady eyes. They scrambled, panic was clearly painted upon their souls, mortals. Typical beings. Auriel captures the bird’s attention first, her high-frequancy scream piercing the air. It penetrates his hearing, causing the raven to tip his head back and let out a scream of his own in response- the wind eases slightly at the distraction and change in his movements. Yet it is not enough to stop the wind’s punishing onslaught, the brutal gusts of air still attack the adventurers.

Kipling’s earth amulet activates, the wind settles around the stallion instead aiming it’s assault towards the amulet. The raven wonders if the amulet will hold out until the winds have fully been subsided. The air around the chestnut stallion is filled with the scent of the amulet's magic, the raven inhales it greedily. It had always been his weakness…magic and amusing himself with those of a lesser intelligence.

The young yearling who is last to arrive braces herself against the tree. The raven screams a laugh, she does not stand a chance. "No, no, no." His turns his back upon the girl not wishing to waste anymore time on her.

It is as if the egg suddenly has a mind of it’s own, gentle and delicate in it’s movements it begins to roll towards Erebos. Shock causes the creature to stop his movements, his beady eyes watching the egg. The wind does not die down slowly, in an instance it has stopped completely.
Kipling’s earth amulet shatters as the world settles around them.
The Raven begins to prevent the egg reaching the dark prince, blocking it's path and using his own magic to hold the egg in place. He eyes the dark boy and then gives him a single nod of approval. This round the young boy has won.

"You wish to talk?" Looking at each of them with a scrutinising gaze it is a moment before the creature reacts in anyway. Another blood curling laugh sounds from the creature. Shaking his head, the bird wonders if they actually understood why he was making them compete in these tasks. If you asked him, talking proved nothing. Watching them struggle was also rather entertaining. "Surely by now you have grasped my idea of fun." Time for round two, it was time they began to think a little more like him. The raven has now happily settled beside the egg, he cradles it almost lovingly. "There are many treasures in this forest." Tap…tap…tap… Once again the bird has begun tapping the shell gently, as if counting down the seconds before another disaster struck. "Find one and return it to me before it’s too late." It was a thinly veiled threat. They would either please him or pay the consequences.

Your character must find an object from The Deep Forest and return it to The Raven. The object can be anything you think may please The Raven.

Arya has been eliminated! You may count this as a refusal in all future NSS drops.

Image Credits

prissy
Auriel
The screaming seemed to do nothing, the wind died down one notch but as quickly as that happened it resumed to its usual wailing wind. Even the bird decided to call back and I narrow my eyes. Why was this egg being protected by a raven? Of all the things, that seemed to be the least logical. At least the little fur thing last time could carry it around. Glancing sideways through the gales I notice another colt arrive, and he is able to cautiously move it across the ground towards him for a moment. I silently cheer him on, at least someone can get it away from the thing. Though, that to is short-lived because the raven notices and flocks down towards the egg, stopping it in its path.

The wind has died suddenly also, and I notice another unicorn nearby, followed by another filly. He's older than all of us that had joined, because the girl didn't look too old either. His screechy voice pulls my attention away from them back to him. Another quest is given, to find a treasure. What possible could be in this forest that a bird would want? Especially one of his... talents. The only thing that seemed to be around were towering pines and decaying underbrush. That wasn't exactly "special".

Not waiting another moment, I bounce forward and away from the group. If there is one advantage I have, it's my wings. Taking to the air, I fly around shakily. I haven't quite gotten use to graceful flight, so when I spot the red stones I'm eager to land. However, it's not that easy to get to, because a whole pool of water covers them. I groan with great displeasure before diving in. My little head bounces under, grabs the stone awkwardly, and then flings it towards shore. It lands with a plop on the edge, and I'm glad. I don't like being under the water. Soaked, but somewhat victorious I grab the stone and trek back towards the bird and the other competitors.

When I arrive, I take the stone and set it down nearby the bird. As much as I want to hate him, I can't. Technically he's the only one here I have any sort of kinship with. I'm the only other one with feathers and a means to fly. Among the unicorns, I was a black sheep. So I reach back and grab a pale tan feather, and pluck it. I cringe a little bit, and it feels odd having even a small part of my wing removed. I lay it down underneath the stone so it doesn't fly away. As far as I know, this bird was about ready to blow us sky high again.

[Auriel brings him the red stone from the pond in the center of the forest, and gives him a feather from her wing.]

she belongs to the fire
Image Credit

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

The darkest bits of his concentration went unhindered, flowed like water, swirling, churning, swift currents of sinister attributes, calling, beckoning, summoning the tiny egg nestled amongst the harsh gales. If the wind was unrelenting, he was just as much, narrowing his eyes in determination, not glancing towards the other arrivals, solely focused on his task at hand, constructing and composing all the vicious, feral webs clawing along his insides, hoping the object would follow the siren song of immorality and licentiousness, even when he didn’t quite understand it himself…

It started to roll, edging closer and closer, maneuvering in slow, precise steps towards him; perhaps it too was cloaked in bits and pieces of darkness, ensuring innocence in thick veneers and masks, but wild and savage along its veins, emboldened and galvanized. Hope surged in his young, intrepid heart, and for a few moments he thought he was successful, he thought he’d done something triumphant, had finally won, but the Raven ceased the attempt, only bestowing a singular nod of sanction and endorsement. He’d done something correct, and the little princeling conformed a bob of his skull back in respect, kindled validation amongst strange, bizarre creatures.

But the bits of laughter, the shrieking caws, curled across his mind and still traced a firm shudder along his growing, lanky body, for there would be more to do, his notion of fun, and while Erebos was one for diversions and entertainment, the dark corridors and the threatening, menacing void hinted at far more soulless, unrelenting havoc to be unleashed. But he stayed and listened instead of fleeing, as he would have done when he was small and insignificant, not understanding purposes or ambitions or aspirations, but now, with power undulating and scouring his frame, with terror and condemnation lodged, stored, ensconced within his brooding form, he merely listened, took in their task. He wanted. He craved. He yearned. He’d commit himself to the underlying, augured adventures, and perhaps, this time he’d be rewarded.

Treasures in the forest - the boy’s eyes, riveted upon the only one he wanted, the shell, the egg, clasped in the black bird’s talons – seized him to wander deeper into the copse, into the chilling, calculating, hollowed sections, where corpses danced and nightmares flickered and maelstroms concocted their unholy regime. He thought at once to follow the filly floating along roots and stumps, towards the ancient fir tree marking one of the more eerie proportions of the tainted woods: the pool containing crimson, bloody stones. The choice was obvious. The glider, cloaked in madness, in Poe rhymes, in decadence and sin, would undoubtedly lavish and love the cerise rocks, chiseled in finery, in mystery, in misery, but the scion arrived too late, trickling after the flicka moments thereafter, when she’d already possessed the noteworthy prize. He couldn’t bring the Raven something already bestowed.

He nearly thought to ensorcell the maiden in her flight back to the bird, to force her to give him the ruby gem, because an avid amount of frustration bit across his features, caused a furrowing of his brows, a frown to mottle the customary Cheshire grin. Instead, he merely watched her go, sliding back into the midnight abyss, and sighed, casting his gaze towards the trickling pool. The motions allowed him to spy something else, a shining crown in the hellish underworld. There, resting along the bank, was a series of pebbles, all nestled and gathered in various colors, but the only one truly catching his eye was an ivory stone, cast in pearly convictions, opulent and vivid like the moon. Didn’t Ravens enjoy sparkling, brilliant, effervescent objects? Would this please the beast? Would it be enough to grant him his wish? He trickled down to the water’s edge, dipping his maw over the chosen rock, then hastily rumbled back towards the creature’s presence. Upon arrival, he bowed low, then extended the glistening, gleaming element back upon the forest floor, backing away only a few steps, stare riveted from egg to bird.

OOC;;
[Erebos brings back a white pebble.]

Refusal One Refusal Two

TAG;; @[ ]

image credits
- table by Niki -

Kipling Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Somebody has to go polish the stars
As the amulet exploded, the gale lulled around Kipling. It was much easier to think without forest detritus pelting him, but thinking did him no good. The raven quickly rebuked Kipling's request for a simple conversation. Kipling cocked his head curiously at this chaos-master, eyes widening excitedly at the request for a prize from the forest. A treasure hunt! Too bad the cryptic, vaguely sinister clue wasn't much help…

The others scampered away, and Kipling trotted off in the opposite direction. His mind was already churning away: the raven would not be interested in anything obvious or easily won, but what precious thing could he find in the woods besides the red gems in the pool or some branches or berries? Kipling's only prize had just shattered and been whisked away on the supernatural wind. Besides, the amulet wouldn't have satisfied the bird's request - it was from the Hidden Falls, not the Deep Forest.

Dark woods thickened around the unicorn, and the branches that clutched at his speckled sides slowed him to a walk. His bronze eyes flashed about, looking for anything shiny or interesting or different, but it was just woods and undergrowth all around. Finally, Kipling halted with a long sigh. He looked up into the arbor, watching a trio of robins - less-sinister cousins of the raven - warbling at each other in the branches. Two were dressed in juvenile plumage, dusky and unattractive and awkward in his movements; they must've fledged in the past month.

Finally, a flash of rich blue caught Kipling's attention a short ways above him. In a low crook where a branch stemmed off from the large trunk, the old nest sat, empty and unused. An egg for an egg…? Surely the friendlier birds wouldn't mind if he borrowed their old birthplace… And maybe the evidence of a successful hatching would make the raven more likely to trust Kipling with the secret of his own egg.

But how to get it down? It was just above Kipling's fully outstretched neck… The birds scarcely noticed him crow-hopping towards their abandoned birthplace; Kipling took their silence as passive permission to go ahead with his plan. He popped up awkwardly, angling his horn to nudge the woven nest out of place. He made contact, but it wasn't until the fourth or fifth blow that it finally fell to the ground.

Kipling inspected the nest's contents. As he had expected, two beautiful but cracked sky-blue eggshells winked up at him, nestled in old, downy white feathers. What he had not expected, however, was the third egg. It was fully, perfectly whole - unhatched and cold. The cerulean oval was decorated with thin brown veins. A pang of sadness - sorrow for the lost soul - overwhelmed him. The abandoned egg was long gone. He frowned and gently picked up one half of the nest loosely in his mouth, carefully avoiding crushing the fragile offering. "I hope your death will not be in vain," He gurgled incomprehensibly around his mouthful, carefully tracing his way back to the raven.

When he finally made it back to the raven's log, it looked like the other two had been there for some time already. Kipling's heart raced. I hope I'm not too late… Quietly - because he didn't have much choice but to be quiet, what with the nest he was holding in his mouth - he placed the treasure in front of the raven. "It's seen life and death…" Kipling offered in explanation, not entirely sure why he felt like that would matter to the raven. It had seemed like the right thing to say, so he had said it. He stepped back alongside the others, watching expectantly.

OOC: Kipling brings the raven an abandoned robin's nest with the remains of two hatched shells and one whole unhatched egg.

Wishlist - Cerndyr (Earth Spirit).
No prior refusals.
Kipling

Helovian Ancient

The raven waits with the egg as they scatter, the way they scramble to find him something reminds him of just how mortal they are. How time is precious to them because they only get a handful of years to live out their lives. It would be the same for the creature inside this egg, whatever was inside the shell would break free and be born to a world of limited time. A shriek sounds from the raven as he waits for them all to return with their precious prizes. He was greedy and enjoyed trinkets to add to his own collection.

Eventually they return, gracing him with their presence once again. The soaking winged girl brings back a red stone, and then winces as she plucks a feather from her wing. He studies her feather and the stone, feeling the way the body heat has leaked warmth on both objects. This is a good sign, the raven likes this. The creature would never give up one of his own feathers, this action makes him wonder just how the young girl thought.

Next he turns to the horned boy and his white pebble. It is a thoughtful choice, one that the raven also approves of. No, it does not just shine. It is beautiful, bright and vivid; the creature supposed it reflected the boy in a way. The body heat from the boy is also present on the stone. Looking at Erebos the Raven has laughter dancing in his eyes. Yes, this shiny thing the raven does like indeed.

Finally he turns to the most interesting of gifts, an abandoned robin's nest with the remains of two hatched shells and one whole unhatched egg. The raven leans closer to the unhatched egg and stares at it, wondering what had been the cause of the bird not hatching. It was too late now, the creature inside had surely died.

"Nature can be so cruel." Turning to each of the remaining competitors the raven has one final task for them all. They had stuck through such ridiculous tasks, and the creature wanted to know why. After the wind he had expected them all to give in and run for their lives, he wondered why these few had stuck around and why their mortal hearts believed they deserved his prize. Scooping up the gifts with a gentle brush of his wing, the raven might just send them all away with something if he did indeed like their answers. "Think carefully now." His high-pitched voice demands. "Why do you deserve this prize?"

You must explain why your character thinks they deserve the egg.

Please respond within 72 hours to be considered.

Image Credits

prissy
Auriel
It's hard to tell what the raven thinks of my gift. I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of being nervous, and joyous about the said silence. Glancing backwards, the other two quickly follow behind me. Each with their own little gifts. The black unicorn brought back a white stone. It's all shiny, and kind of cool. I should have thought of that! My gift was probably to cliche, after all, there are a pool of those red stones not to far from here. I frown, looking to what the other brought. It's him that interests me, for he does not carry a stone or shiny item. Instead, it looks like a nest. Where do you get a nest from? I step forward to peer over it, just noticing the egg as he says it has died. Tears well up against my will, even if it is considered a less "efficient" life, it is still terrible to face death. How much more of this would I have to encounter in my life? Swallowing back tears I move back to where I was standing before. Suddenly it seems like I am the odd one out here, my confidence quickly waning in the light of this little loss.

I inhale sharply then, really hoping that the raven starts soon. I don't know how much longer I can stand it this silence. So, to me it feels like ages until he presents us the next time. This time, we needed to talk. I perk up a bit at this, if there is one thing I think I'm good at, its talking. Stepping forward, I puff my chest boldly and try to hold my own. I am the "baby" here compared to the rest. I'd really to improve my game if I wanted to have any chance at caring for that little life. That one could not die like the small one sitting cold in its home right in front of them. "I can understand it, whether it be a she or he." My voice quivered just then, but I inhale deeply and continue. "I am the child here. I understand what newborns need. I remember it like it was yesterday. I can cope with its feelings of joy and horror of being introduced into an unfamiliar land." That began to sound decent, I just hope the raven understood where I was going with this. He needed to know that I could provide, regardless of my age. "My mom, dad, and sister all get to enjoy the great happiness that comes with being bonded. Edgar, my mom's companion, was even there for our birth." I lower my head a little bit then, just hoping he would not think me to be too long winded, or annoying. "I want someone I can grow up with. Someone that can enjoy the beginnings of my life with me, along with my inevitable sorrows and downfalls. It makes everything a little easier having someone there." The words fall quietly at the end. I mean it though, even by just having a sister made everything a little better. It was selfish of me to expect her to be there at every turn, and she probably didn't want to. As far as I know, these companions will love you as much as you love them. That sounded like the perfect plan. Not to mention, it would help me like myself too.

[Auriel tells her little story. :3]

she belongs to the fire
Image Credit

The final trial loomed, a barb, a thorn, an illusion entangling his throat. The child let loose an inaudible sigh, relieved to have found something the raven enjoyed, capable of carrying on into the finale. But the query left him reeling: why did he deserve the egg? He pondered, he wondered, he questioned and claimed, mulling over the contortions that had brought him here, in this place, to this stead, trying so desperately to snag the artifact. Wanting wouldn’t be enough, simple greed and avaricious needs wouldn’t avail an object to be his – if such things were the case, anyone who wanted anything would be able to grasp and clench and steal merely because they longed for it. His mind recalled the bright days of Adelric’s companion, embarking from his sullen shell, shaking out tiny, quivering limbs and bleating for the spotted child – Erebos had relished for a companion of his own since that very moment. What would it be like to connect entirely to another being? How would it feel to always have someone with you, no matter the circumstances, no matter how frightening the experience, no matter the monumental task? How would it feel to know you were never alone, even when your friends disappeared, even when your friends meandered, wandered off, took to other quests and duties, while you were left in the dust? How would it feel to know another being had your back, protected you, ensured your security, and you to theirs, blessed and anointed and consecrated in unsung, unholy power? How would it feel to know that together, you could do anything and go anywhere? His heart soared at the series of convolutions, struggling to piece all the nuances, all the notions, all the sentiments surrounding his frame. He’d tried several times moreover and failed. How could he convey it to the massive bird that this time should be different? That the egg should be his? A mercenary maelstrom drummed in his chest, a scoundrel interlude wove its way through his throat, but he shackled them away, and only spoke the careful tethers of a polished prince, deep gaze burrowing into the winged creature’s eyes. “I watched my friend’s companion come into this world.” Tiny little Tobias, full of life and vigor, unfolding in the midst of caverns and caves, had offered him all the dreams in the world. “Ever since then, I’ve wanted one. Someone to share experiences with. Someone who would always be with me, even when no one else was. Someone to share power with. Something to protect, a purpose, an ambition.” He had so many of them, gilded, gleaming aspirations, but winning a beloved of his own was on the top of the list. What happened thereafter could be their own adventure, a tumbling, spiraling reel of myths and legends. “I’ve tried several times before, but failed. I was hoping this would be my chance.” He ended it on a slight grin, cheekily dipping into a wry dimple, an impish feature. How many more opportunities would he face to be granted this wish?

OOC;;
[Erebos wants a companion to share experiences, power, growth, and ambitions with. He tells the raven this. ;D]

Refusal One Refusal Two

TAG;; @[ ]

image credits
- table by Niki -

Helovian Ancient

Listening to their responses, The raven nodded to both of the remaining contestants. "I have reached a decision." His voice demands that they both fall silent and listen to him. "Girl." His eyes fall upon the pegasus filly who still had her entire life ahead of her. There would be more chances for her to win a companion. Stretching his left wing wide the raven arches his neck and plucks a feather of his own. Holding it within his beak the raven next busies himself by brushing the feather over the red rock she had presented him with. Slowly the colour fades from the rock and leaks into the feather turning it red. Placing it in front of his talons the creature offers it to the filly. "One day you will be bonded, but unfortunately today is not that day."

Now he turns to the boy, lifting his wing he reveals the egg nestled safely by his side. "This is for you." His eyes glanced down at the egg on last time, studying it's shell and shape. As he looks upon the boy, the raven offers a few words of advice. "Treat the creature well and you will have a friend for life." The moment the egg hatched their souls would bond, his life would never be the same. The boy had proven himself well in the first task, risking the egg to save it- eventually it could have broken either way. The second task both the girl and the boy had impressed him, they were interesting individuals yet their prizes for him had not been much different. No one had won favours in that round. While their responses had moved him, it wasn't anything new. Creative responses where what impressed the raven, both had failed him again.

Still the creature was happy with his decision. Spreading his wings wide he beat his wings once, twice and then took off. Within moments the raven was soaring away into the open air, freedom calling to him.

Congratulations to Erebos.

Please post in updates with the species, name and chosen ability of your companion.

Erebos won an extra roll in the first round. List Number

Auriel has received a red feather from the raven.

Kipling has been eliminated for not responding in time.

Image Credits

prissy
Auriel
Its hard to tell which of the two of us deserves it more. As I listen to the other unicorn speak, I can't help but feel a little bad for him. He's much older than I am, no doubt seen more. Having a sister with a companion, I know what its like to be the one without one. Either way, between the two of us, I'd be pleased with his decision. So when the bird hushed us, I fell quiet. He addressed me first, and I can't help but feel the nerves wrap up within me. I understand rejection is probably nigh, but I can't help the tinge of embarrassment that colors my emotions. The bird plucks a feather from his own wing, and I tilt my head, confused. What did this mean? I trace his every little movement, and when it brushes against the rocks, I'm amazed. The red color leaks into it from the rock, seemingly by magic. I shouldn't be surprised, since Helovia seemed to live on that very basis. When he lies it at my feet, and tells me my fate, I nod with a childish and embarrassed look on my face. I gingerly reach for it, grabbing it up in my mouth. I'd have to get someone to tie this in my mane later. Even such a little gift as this made me feel a little better.

I watch with envious eyes as he presents the egg to the boy, and I reach my head up to peer at what is going on. Whatever happens, It happens in what seems like a flash. With the birds last few words, he takes to the sky, and flies off. Such interesting things these care-takers of eggs were. I much prefer this one over the rat creature. He seemed to understand more, and care a little better. I look over to the unicorn boy, and give him a smile. "Congratulations. Maybe I'll see you around sometime. I hope you two have a great bond." They were nice words at least. I was trying to be civil, and to make friends. I had not a clue what this boy thought of me, or if he even cared. I needed to tell him though, so I felt like I was trying to make a mark on the world.

[Just a little wrap up! <3]

she belongs to the fire
Image Credit