the Rift

[OPEN] anything could happen

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
ELSA
I can fake a smile, I can force a laugh. I can hold the weight of worlds.

Traveling to elsewhere seemed to be the thing to do today. The lands had not been traveled by her in quite a while. The most she had been out was with Dovahkiin, but they did not stay in place for more than a few moments. Other than that, it had been ages since exploration ensued. Flight was the easiest way to go about this, and she had a place in mind; the beach. It was a place that held an overall "peaceful" air about it. The ocean just seemed to drown anything out in a moments notice.

The flight was quick, and tipping downwards she alighted the sand. It sprayed up around her in little waves, rippling for a split second before falling stationary. A comforted smile spread across her face like a warm fire, as she moved towards the water. It lapped gently against the sand, quiet as the wind. Gently she moved, hooves sinking into the sand soaking her legs with salty water. The coolness of the water seemed to soothe every muscle, and made her come to the realization that she had become extremely stiff. Sticking around in the same places seemed to have that effect on her. Glancing around quietly, she hoped someone would join her. At least while she was out she could try to make a friend or two. Edgar called from far off, his screechy cry echoing across the silent landscape. She bid him off, even if she did feel lonely. It was time she get out by herself, she can't rely on a bird to keep her company all the time. Settling in, her hooves sank deeper as she let the waves crash over them. Her mind actually began to wonder if she could get sucked in. That would be one heck of a story, but that thought was seriously doubted. She had not had that much excitement in forever.

"Talketh."
@[Nymeria] I know it took a while, and that I think I saw you on absent so don't feel like you have to reply anytime soon. :3

I can dance and play the part if that's what you ask.. give you all I am.
but i'm only human. and I bleed when I fall down.

• Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer

This is where she belonged. Here—where she was surrounded by shifting sands, the whisperings of the ocean lapping against the shoreline, the crunch and crackle of kelp beneath her young hooves. There was an awful—awful in a good way—and comforting familiarity to the reek of salt, the keen of the gulls, the glittering lapis lazuli water. She couldn't explain it, not properly—couldn't explain the vast sense of belonging, the sensation of being reduced becoming just a biotic factor, a part of the tideline so wide and expansive, released from duty and expectation. In this sun-soaked shoreline, she was alone and small, insignificant, and she loved that. Without pressure, with no burden upon her shoulders, only sweet silence and the feel of the ocean spray kissing her shoulders, her hips, her cheeks... she may as well have been a bird on the cusp of the wind, or a fish flickering through the ocean currents cut loose from the tangled fisherman's nets.

The grullo moves idly, almost apathetically, sweltering under the relentless eye of the sun. Sweat dampens and curls her coat, giving her a glossy sheen of silver over her fore- and hindquarters; sand and grit clings to her dampened limbs, grains caught and snagged in each slight imperfection, the creases and crevices where muscle joins. Lungs move, disjointed in their spread and fold, their usefulness reduced by the thickness of the air, the reluctance with which the oxygen cycles through her bloodstream. Occasionally nausea surges—her gorge rises and she halts, breathing coming ragged, as the heat swells and pulsates beneath her charcoal veneer. You know; that... sickly feeling, where your skin warms and prepares to break into sweat, only for the heat to sink deeper into your bones, lurk and wait there; and then it expands outwards again, grotesque and feverish.

How painfully jealous she is—and painful being not hyperbole or exaggeration but reality—of her companion. Even in this sweltering, oppressive, and utterly damnably heat, he is happy, reveling in the warmth. Dragons. Sometimes, she just couldn't understand why Volterra even liked them. Perhaps it was only Lil, but they were... so arrogant, greedy and fiendish with an eye for the shiny things.

Nostrils quiver, flare, and cusp wide, eyelids slithering in a slow song across her ruby corneas. On she wanders, hooves sinking into the sand, the curves of her path a rhythm, a rhyme unspoken and unsaid, a harmony offset by the creak and rustle of her companion's wings.

Ahead a shape, cut from the seafoam and stitched with thread from the clouds, begins to materialize, shaping up from a faint, distant blur to hips and a sharp face and thick sinews. Cradled along a spine of snow were wings, oblong figures of chiseled ivory; even from the distance, she could imagine the feathers whispering in the breeze, crooning to the waves licking up against the pegasus' flanks. Hesitation makes her heart skip a beat, uncertainty making her step falter, and the filly slows, rambling into a lazy halt. Hooded eyes, tight-skinned with worry and wrinkled with thoughts, cast thoughtfully over the picturesque landscape, tracing the wide horizon line.

The worm of Lilómiel's thoughts wiggles, uncurls, serpentine, flexing through the unraveling threads of her mind. It probes along through the stitchings of her vague interest, the mild sense of worry, the hard edge of his amusement sharp like a knife against the curve of her throat. Teeth grit together, pearls cranking tightly close to feel the invasive touch of the black's intruding fingertips; go away, she beseeches him, and with a taunt and final prod, he withdraws.

Perhaps, if only to annoy him and his solitary ways, the daughter of Confutatis steps into the ocean.
Out she goes, to the woman in white awaiting companionship.

nymeria
what's a king to a god?
image credits
@[Elsa]

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

ELSA

From the moment Elsa had seen an ocean in the flesh, she was convinced that the waves held magical properties. The way they lulled, and rolled, even in the harshest of storms, they were calming, and seemed to capture the imagination. She found that the longer she stood and watched the water undulate, the thoughts she found her mind wading in grew more fantastical with time. Another small leap of water crashed sweetly around her ankles, just barely catching the reflection of a moving object in the curve of the wave before it crashed. Elsa's attention was broken then, spotting a small body meandering in her direction. It was not an adult by any means, and she looked to be merely a few months in age.

Fondly, Elsa watched her slow approach. Such a brave little thing she was for being out here alone. Her twins, both times when she had seen them out exploring, were accompanied by another body. This dark gal was all alone, her heart must be strong. Turning towards Nymeria's direction, Elsa moved towards her. Each sloppy hoofbeat bringing the skull face child into view. For such an odd, grotesque marking, she was beautiful for a girl. Elsa smiled gently, coming to a halt just a few feet in front of Nymeria. Head lowered gently, showing her she meant no harm. Elsa was a wandering soul, and even children satiated the feeling of want and friendship. The scent of another being, not horse by any stretch of the mean, overpowers the scent of salty ocean water. It seems that she even found herself a companion.

"Now why is a girl like you out here all alone?" Elsa was actually curious as to why she was out here. The ocean offered little to no amusement. It was only a place where she came to seek solace from the dark thoughts that festered in the back of her mind. Elsa dropped her wings then, letting the feathers fall gently against the sand. The water washed through them with ease, but dirt was the only thing it could wash away forever. "Do you even wish for companionship?" Another simple question. It would make or break their meeting of course, but there was no reason to stick around for one who didn't want attention. Elsa knew just how suffocating others could be.

"Talketh."
@[Nymeria]

The white mare wandered closer, as if to meet her.

Nym's nostrils flare a touch wider in response, drawing in a scent that reminded her of the north (where she had met Ophelia and Ktulu and played tag in the snow) but overlaid with a fresher, richer hint of pine, the aroma of warm bodies. A herd? Bright, red eyes flicker and jump over the stranger's pale body, searching furtively for the signs of companionship (groomed fur, carefully arranged feathers, that sort of thing) but coming up without much in way of answer. The grullo unravels her sinews, rearranging muscle into a more casual fit—unconsciously mirroring Elsa's comfy posture.

In the back of her skull Lilómiel probes away, his thoughts weaving swiftly through her's. For a brief moment her eyelids drift, almost in an expression of agony, over her red eyes—and then she hides away her quarrelous temper and goes sanding off her impatience's edge. No, she scolds herself. I will not act like him. She will not fall to such petty means as to constantly meddle in Lilómiel's head, to dig through his thoughts and pry apart his "private" memories.

Privacy. Ha! That was rich.
Any semblance of privacy was long written off by the invasion of her dragon's beliefs.

Somehow the pale mare has gotten much closer. Now she's on the sand, her head lowered, eyes like polished sapphires gleaming with an almost tender light. Nym's breath comes a little too short, a betrayal of her anxiety, but she stays focused. Be polite. The pegasus was being kind—and she needed to return it. If not with actual kindness, then with... courtesy. She scrambles for something nice to say, but all she finds is cruelty tainting her tongue, resentment in her thoughts.

I'm not a girl. Defiance twists Nymeria's youthful features, a flash of arrogance and condescension and pain tearing through her composure before she clamps down on the brittle emotions.

It hurts, not being with Mother.

"They took away my mom," the dark girl responds, and her heart aches to say it. I want her back. She wants—she wants mommy. She wants to curl up against Confutatis' flank and sleep beneath her hooves and be with her brother and be safe and gods why didn't she get to have that? How many levels of fucked-up did you have to be to take away someone's parents? Not even parentssole parent, only mother, whose only purpose was to raise herkids? How could they do that? How could they get away with it? Confutatis hadn't done anything! She had only protected Volterra and Nymeria.

And suddenly there's grief written all over the filly's features and she can feel Lil's thoughts rubbing up against her like a cat against a leg, a dog licking her metaphorical face, trying to clean up those messy, messy emotions.

But he can't.
Eyes close, brows squirrel together. I will not cry. Mother didn't deserve a crybaby for a kid. She could be strong. She would be. For mom.

"I don't care about companions. I just want my mom back."

nymeria
what's a king to a god?
image credits
@[Elsa]

OOC: I'm sorry for the angst I'm not really sure where it came from ;__;

ELSA

For whatever reason, she decided to stand before this child. Even after her questions had been spoken, Elsa felt like meddling with other children was a bad idea. She had her own, and could barely keep them within a few miles of herself. In a sense, children in her mind liked to run far away, and stay away. Although what this skull face child says, seems to be the counter to her own feelings. They had taken her mother? Why on earth was there a need to take a child's mother? Elsa sneered in the heat of her reaction, stepping forward almost protectively. If they had taken her mother, there was no telling who was following her. The space between them had closed, but Elsa had done that out of her heart. If she missed her children, that this missing mother was probably dying inside. Forceful removal had to hurt much worse than its chosen counterpart.

Her eyes looked down then, searching to make contact to the red eyed child. A morbid appearance by nature, but the small set of words she had spoken betrayed an underlying need to be cared for. Swallowing, she began to speak with a calm voice. Letting her anger seep in now was no way to get anything accomplished. "Who has taken her?" The words were still hard, and the masked strain beneath them bled through. In her mind, Elsa would need to get her back. She just needed to know where to find the mother. All the more better if the friendly neighborhood Basin had took her. For now, Elsa would briefly provide care for the child, should she want it. "What is your name? If I find her, I will tell her I know of you, and that you are safe." Elsa would promise that Nymeria would stay safe. If another young life slipped from her grasp, her fragile mind could not take it. There is only so much more weight she can carry before she falters.

Edgar arrived then, landing with force against her poll. He stumbled a bit, nearly falling down her face before regaining his balance. These new set of angry emotions had called him back to her, generally speaking she should not be alone in these times. Elsa was known for making rash decisions based on her emotions. He would at least provide some semblance of guidance. Glancing down to the filly, he cooed at the filly with a loving undertone. Elsa rolled her eyes, sometimes, Edgar had no idea how to handle social situations. Granted he was still young, but he needed to learn when to not treat others like children. "Excuse him, he is Edgar. He will help us, should we need it." Edgar puffed up on her poll, trying his best to alleviate some of the heaviness lurking within this conversation. He was trying to be the court jester, because unhappiness was his bane.

"Talketh."
@[Nymeria] Nym is so cute. ;-; in like, her way. xD

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

She was walking, again. She had grown surprisingly use to it with the countless patrols she carried out with a flightless individual. Then of course there was here son... Zero, some seemed to have started to call him. She grit her teeth, biting down on an anger that threatened to rise quick and blind. Anger at them, at herself, at the world.

Hastily she pushed his inadequacies out of her mind, shaking her head for good measure. Today wasn't about personal matters, today was an opportunity to step beyond herself, and do something for the herd. So Ampere slid her blue eyes to her side, where Amani and Ísfold should be. Not for the first time she was stricken with unfamiliarity, as if she were working alongside strangers rather than herdmates, friends, family. Just how many of her herd didn't she know? Each patrol was a new name for an unrecognizable face, and an utterly unknown heart. Just who did she keep company with in the sands, and why didn't she fucking know?

There came that anger again, bubbling up like bile in the back of her throat, burning until all she could taste was ash and hurt. Her teeth met each other again, so hard they audibly clicked. The sound transitioned then to a squeak as she started to grind them together, jarring on the grit of their home. It was the sound of her poorly checked temper. It was the tension of her own flaws being served before her, tasteless and hard.

She could still hear Cera's words ringing in her ears.

"So!" Ampere exclaimed loudly and suddenly. The black slope of her neck creased as her head turned towards her comrades. She attempted to whittle away at them with her tongue, while their hooves carved out the beach they walked upon. "How have you both been? Did you get anything crafted lately?" Ampere might have been a better conversationalist if she knew that sharing bits about herself were more likely to get others to open up and share. She could also probably do with a lesson in not shouting and overreacting to everything, not that some hadn't tried in the past. "Anything you guys need while were here?"

Ampere paused for a moment as they centered on the oceanic land, preparing to split them up and finish up the patrol so that they could continue their awkward bonding trip on the way back home. Like most of the idle chatter she scrounged up though, her question wasn't really meaningful, because these beach afforded little if not less than the ocean front property they all lived on. The sand was a bit different, the currents spun other directions, and the water was cooler... but otherwise this was little more than a watered down sand box.

Of course ti meant something to her, but not for the things it held, but the memories that had been forged her. Memories she didn't plan on sharing. Maybe this was why she didn't know anyone.

"Wait!" she thought suddenly as her gaze spun through the shore. "I know her," Ampere muttered, spying Elsa in the distance. She used the word 'know' lightly of course, Knowing Elsa only faintly better than the two family members at her side. Still, Ampere was grateful for the distraction and semblance of familiarity. Tossing on a smile and springing her steps across the sand, she pulled upon the pallid mare just in time to hear Confutatis' confessed anguish on the sea breeze, and strolled up just as Elsa's terse response slid between her teeth.

"We'll get her back," Ampere offered by way of greeting, sliding into place near Elsa as if it was natural. She spared a glance towards the shiny mare, offering a small, lopsided smile of recognition, before her attention petered back to the foal. "No one deserves to be taken," she reaffirmed, her tone serious, her gaze hard. The ocean roared in the background, the same way it had the day she helped free that mare and foal alongside her rag tag team of the WHATCH - the day it was born. That same fiery excitement was rising back inside of her. That scorching anger flared again, finding its fuel that it could burn.

Ampere's head turned, glancing back for her companions. Would they be ready to take up the search too? What about the fight? Could they be part of the WHATCH? Could they become more than strangers in this moment of deserved justice? Looking back to Nymeria, Ampere asked, "What's she look like? What's her name? Do you have somewhere safe to stay?"

Blue eyes flitted towards Elsa, remembering their competitive meetings in the Threshold. This wasn't like that though, and Ampere wanted to be sure she knew as much. "Elsa knows the northeast well, but I'm versed on the southwest. Together, we can help."

So much for herd duty, Ampere was falling into Thunderhead in this moment, eyes wide as they watched the world.

[This post, idek...sorry ;-; ]

@[Ísfold] @[Amani] - I wanted to jump in on this thread for her patrol, but if it's gonna fuck up your timelines or you don't want to, then we can do another thread. I'm guessing this is pre-invasion.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Those pale, bright eyes meet hers, chips of cold glass in a frozen face, and Nym fights the urge to shrink back. Courage. It swells and pulsates beneath her dark veneer, an ebbing tide she can't hold onto. There's so much life raging in that wintry gaze; a fire that would belong more to red and orange than blue, a maternal caring the filly doesn't understand. How can this pegasus feel for what is not hers? How can she muster the slightest twinge of sympathy for someone she's never met before?

Lilómiel's chest vibrates against her shoulders, a dull, inaudible purr rolling in cadence to her heart's drumbeat. The silent sound rings and clamors away in the back of her brain, a shivering warning. Beware! Because maybe, however unlikely, the pegasus' benign interest was more malicious than it looked.

Nymeria's ears flick back uncertainly, audits snapping back to pin momentarily against her skull's crown. Simultaneously, her neck arcs in a sloppy question mark at odds with her composed—almost eerily still—features. Red eyes flick away from glacial blue, skittering downwards to land on her own small, familiar hooves. Silently she examines them. One, two, three, four. Four grains of sand. Five, six, seven, eight. Her focal point collapses inwards, and the tension melts away from her taunt sinews in the same manner of summer dew struck by the morning sun.

Anxiety quelled, the grullo's slender nostrils work wide; Lil chirps a welcome cadence, a fluttering and quiet trumpet. The notes wash over her, an elaboration on her symphony of familiarity.

And then it's interrupted by hooves drumming on sand and black wings and tossed-up dirt, voltaic eyes and a deafening presence, like a thunderhead or a stormcloud or a jab of lightning through the sky.

No subtlety.

Nym shrinks away, ears sloping back and tail flexing tightly against her haunches, jerked into a sudden and unpleasant fear by Ampere's arrival. There was a rather large difference between choosing to join a crowd as opposed to being swarmed by one, and it was a distinction she realized (imminently) she detested.

We'll get her back.
Eyes squint close and teeth clutch tighter.
I shouldn't have said anything.

She didn't want... someone else to get mom back. She wanted to be the hero. She wanted to save the day.

Nymeria wanted her mother's stamp of approval, and admiration, and love. Not for strangers to seize what should be her moment.

Blatant desire and conceit wage war, before she is sidetracked by Elsa's inquiry tip-tapping on her ears.

Who did it?
There's certain notes of fury begin to bud within a house of concern and well-meant care, an undertow unseen by the swimmers on the shore; but for now, she lets it wash over her, harmless. Maybe the pale pegasus was only feeding her curiosity. Nothing more, nothing less. And yet... that growing, fiendish... well, Nym didn't know how to describe it, but there was something gripping beneath Elsa's feigned control, something she wasn't sure she liked.

Still, she gropes for an answer.
In the passage of time it had all blurred together, dark features smeared in dust and shadow, burning flames and ash. It's difficult to pinpoint characteristics more tangible than wild and fearsome and primitive.

"I..." Swallow. Lilómiel's silvered talons hook gently, eight pricks to hold her together. "He was big, with horns like a deer and wings like a hawk, but mostly he was... loud." And not just verbally—but physically as well. There had been a certain way to his carriage that pronounced his swarthy muscles, sharpened his bones' edges, something equal parts captivating and terrifying... but mostly terrifying.

"I-I—" and she stutters off into silence, tail whipping across gray flanks. Ruby irises flicker away desperately, stumbling over sand and soil, searching for something to grasp her attention. Your name. Nymeria didn't w a n t to give up her name. It was precious; the sweet N melting into the 'y' and 'm', the eerie softness to the rolling end. You're being stupid. It wasn't as if Elsa was asking for her soul, after all. She just wanted to help her out... her and mom.

What if Elsa found mom? What if she didn't know what to tell mother because Nym had refused to tell her her name?

Choking down her bated breath, the filly moves closer to the snowy pegasus, attempting to use her body as a screen between her and Ampere. She didn't trust the tattooed mare; she smelled too much like burnt stuff.

"I... I'm not supposed to tell strangers my name." 'Cause, you know. Stranger danger. "... but since you're looking for mother, it's Nymeria." A weak smile twines on her lips, something faint and nervous and pitiful.

There was a snap of wings and a rush of cold air, a thunder of sound roaring for attention against the rumble of surf on sand. Her head belatedly snaps upwards, her subservient body language shredded by surprise as Edgar flaps his way down. Along her spine, her dragon recoils, muscles twitching and tying together until he readies himself into a hunting pose—prepared to surge into defensive action. Hardened ruby eyes, hawk's eyes planted in a draconian face, fixate on the white bird, claws shifting and sliding against Nymeria's fur in a pretense of aggression. Sharp anger licks against the edge of Nym's mind, a ragged blade chafing comfort away.

Elsa rolls her eyes, a glint of silver along blue.
It's more this capricious movement than Edgar's coo that relaxes the filly—even in their modest acquaintanceship, the pegasus is still more familiar than the odd 'phoenix'. And so, with a brisk settle down, Lil, the grullo lets her attention roll back to Ampere.

"She looks like me." Down to the skull marking. "And her name's Confutatis, but don't tell her I told you that. She might be angry."

Lil croons, replaying the black mare's questions in her head. Irascible, Nym shifts her weight, popping up a shoulderblade slightly, attempting to reprimand him gently by moving him off-balance. I know. His curiosity rubs against her cautiousness, hungering for whys.

But he doesn't need to know why, not when he can go combing through her brain anyways. She just hopes they don't notice she didn't answer the whole bit 'bout a place to stay. It might be nice to get out of the storms and her self-inflicted isolation, but she sure as hell didn't want to be packing up her bags and moving in with strangers looking for someone to solve their midlife crisis.

nymeria
what's a king to a god?
image credits
@[Elsa]

OOC: I wrote this post in a more broken-up way than usual, so I hope I got everything right and the timeline of Ampere's entrance correct! <3 Also @Ísfold and @Amani; just jump in whenever! I was pretty vague on placement and their appearance or non-appearance.

Edited to fix a couple things to make the flow smoother.