the Rift

[OPEN] Perfect Contradiction

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
Did I send a shiver down your spine?
Well I do it all the time, it's a little trick of mine.

The Hidden Falls was the closest herd to the Threshold, but it was still a way to travel on foot. Ghost felt the ache to unfurl her wings and she would have done so in a heartbeat if it weren’t for her ground born recruit. Instead she passed the time by observing him and thinking of questions that might use to instigate a more casual conversation. Her skills in the area were well known for being little to none, but the Cadaverous had been trying to improve her recluse like nature recently. Even if it was a slow process that she battled with every day. Part of her still wanted to return to the days of being a Sleuth and lurking from the shadows. She resented Essetia for that as talented as the girl was; she had the role Ghost had been happiest in. Alas, the banshee had followed her lust for power and in the process put herself in a position of discomfort. Still, she was determined to grow into the crown on her head to spite herself if nothing else. "So, Boltar. Have any interests or talents? We pride ourselves on being a hardworking family and each of us picks a profession that takes our personal preference." The words rolled off her tongue with ease, there was no demand or great emotion to it.

She thinks of when she had first followed the Asylum to the Falls and her pursuit of intelligence. Spying had given her the quietness she desired but also fulfilled her need to know things. She had flourished under the hooves of Seele until her untimely demise had put her where she was now. "I was once a spy. I’m not a social animal, but I also have a habit of being nosy, a contradiction that often puts me at odds with myself. Still, the role gave me purpose." She hoped the short tale would inspire him to think of what he would like to do, if not, it was harmless information.

The trees became scattered and she neared the pathway that lead up to the Heavenly Fields, pointing it out to her grey traveller as she did so. Near it was one of the rocky entrances to the Hidden Falls and the daunting path that led in.

She motioned for him to follow and carefully the banshee made her way down into the realm of cascades and meadows. The roaring of water getting louder until the trail led her side by side with the magnificent piece of nature that crashed its way down to earth. Being so close meant that Ghost had very little chance of raising her voice above its noise, it was ideal for sharing secrets to linger near them, but not so handy for general talk. Instead the Czarina, with wolf pup in tow, followed the path all the way to the bottom where it opened out into a meadow that was marked with the odd tree and caressed by Tallsun's blistering heat.

She turns to see if he is still following her before introducing him formally. "Welcome to the Falls".

(ooc: Blah back to third person, still not sure if I like first person Ghost or whether I just can’t write first person x.x Anyway, everyone welcome @Boltar (tag removed for edit)!)

Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Boltar Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I wish I could say I felt confident in where I decided to live—quite frankly I am regretting every decision I have made from the moment I left the shadows—but at this point any complaints or hesitations I have are too far gone to bring up. Maybe it is just the fact Ghost had pointed out my physical appearance and since then I have found myself carrying my head a little too high; in fact, I feel an ache forming at the base of my withers.

Can I be penalized for staring at her a little too much? Is this inappropriate?

She speaks, and I attempt to regain some moisture in my otherwise dry as the deserts mouth and then realize how intricate her question was; talents? If by talents do you mean my ability to shut out the entire world or my skill at coping with the death of loved ones. Either or really, they both seem to highlight my greatest qualities. How about my most prominent trait of struggling socially—that might as well be the cherry on top to a perfect recruit. I half contemplate turning my rear around before I waste even more of her time. Certainly a mare of her qualities (and appearance) must have somewhere better to be with someone a little more suiting. But then I remember that I have never been good at quitting.

“I can manipulate electricity around me to impact others in combat,” even though I am entirely certain fighting isn’t my forte and therefore my trait is out of practice, it is something she should know. At least then, if she ever comes into contact with my easily aggravated “trick”, she will understand to not come within my reach. I feel somewhat useless, having a trait for combat but struggling to inflict pain. While it would be ideal for me to manage peace, I have zero experience in socializing and could probably start a war sooner than end it.

Now I begin to realize it has been awhile since I have last spoken to Ghost, having suddenly bombarded her with this small amount of sorcery I have left to die unused. Like I said—not really good at this entire thing. Especially when a woman of her looks had earlier pointed out my attractiveness. Since then everything I had chosen to say, or do had been questionable and unreasonable. Mother would not be impressed.

“Cannot say I am nosey enough about others. I actually prefer to know no one at all. I have this issue with judging,” it is an honest answer, maybe not one she would like but it is true. I am a hard brittle piece of candy that people tend to toss out before reaching the delicious creamy center. I tend to do the same to others—throw out before really knowing. Maybe it is because I am scared to like them too much and get hurt, a cliché but truth. Or maybe it is because I struggle to look past imperfections I would never choose to make. After all, if I am this hard on myself I might as well be equally as tough on everyone else. “What others choose to do will never effect me anyways. To be nosey about their business would be to toss out my own valuable time. I like to find better things to busy myself with.”

I watch her from a distance, seeing how she contemplates my response. Would I offend her again, or would I spark some curiosity? While I wait, I toss my head in aggravation to remove dark locks that stick to my forehead with sweat. My girth is slightly lathered, though a small amount of wind cools my neck. Along the way my blue eyes set on the scenery, my jaw hard and expression neutral. I had never been an open book, more like a mask that never shifts regardless of every circumstance.

The terrain is certainly a show, an intimidating grand rocky entrance to my new home (awkward), and then a wide show of meadows and cascades. I cannot help but breath in the air this land offers, no longer feeling claustrophobic from the environment of the Threshold. I also cannot help but note Ghost’s sudden formality since I had side stepped around her casual compliment.

“I didn’t pick this place because of your sudden change into professionalism, just so you know” I let my eyes wander to hers momentarily before staring out around the meadow that surrounds us, seeing an out of place tree linger in eye sight. “What do you have for me to do, now that I am here?”

(OOC: still getting the hang of him - giving 1st person a shot while I have time to play around:) xx )

@[Ghost]
- B O L T A R -

image credits

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
Did I send a shiver down your spine?
Well I do it all the time, it's a little trick of mine.

He is interesting and Ghost is quite captivated to know what else he has to say to her. His opinions seemed to roll off his tongue in brutal honesty, a stallion that seemed to know who he was and yet not what he wanted. There were parts of him that struck the Czarina as familiar traits that she had once had. That selfish need to ignore the world and not get involved, that her own problems were enough that she hadn’t wanted the hassle of everyone else’s. Yet, as time had rolled relentlessly by, she was changed from an uncaring arrogant youth to an equally arrogant leader and saddled with the problems of many. Still, she did not know what she wanted from the world and was perhaps more confused about herself than she had been before this bizarre rise to sovereignty. Ghost thought she saw parts of her old self in this dappled traveller and warmed to him a little more. His words of magic allowed Ghost an insight into possible uses she may have for him, a warrior perhaps. "Impressive. I imagine that has got you out of trouble a few times?"

When he admits his issue she stifles a laugh, "you don’t say" the thought running through her head as she remembers his unimpressed response to her back at the Threshold. Though the mare wouldn’t necessarily call it a vice if his first impression was right now and then. It might turn into a handy talent. Then again, it could always go backfire and Ghost may have a bold idiot on her hands and an army of horses he’s insulted on her doorstep. Either way, she remains curious to his admission and her head tilts at his next set of words. "Really? If I hadn’t chosen to walk to the Threshold would you be here now? Even if you hole yourself up in a cave and cut yourself off from the world, the choices of others will always affect your life… At least, this is what I believe." Her voice was light, almost as if she was remembering a thought that had once come to her. He was no spy material in her view, in that way, they were as different as sand and snow.

The boy really did drag a chortle from her lips the next he spoke and she shook her head innocently. She had been called many things but never a professional. "No I believe the waterfalls were more appealing than me and my offensive compliments" she says, her tongue layered the words with wicked sarcasm. She was rather enjoying their odd little conversation. "The warriors here are getting quite few in number and are needing more recruits to organize practise sessions, fancy lending a hoof? Your magic may come in useful" she pauses, letting the offer stand there for a moment before going on to shrug. "There are other duties such as crafting, divining and healing, if you would prefer something else" the banshee purposefully omitted spying, guessing that he would not be interested from his earlier reaction.

[ooc: so sorry this was late! You write him really well, I love his personality <3]
@[Boltar]

Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte