the Rift

[OPEN] by moonlight

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
Alive. It was bound to give one a new lease on life, having taken away from you for so long. Having been transported to a realm where 'life' itself existed, in a different, foreign, painful and tormenting sort of way. That the mare could walk beneath the dappled moonlight of the canopy with a smooth, swinging stride, albeit with a strange, slight tugging sensation along the rough scar lines of her barrel, was truly magnificent.

Why us? she would often ask her dragon, the golden queen who was far more wiser than she could ever hope to be - Akaith seemed to hold an answer to everything her bonded deigned to ask her, and while the wisdom of her answers sometimes varied, the mare knew she would be lost without her. Why, Akaith? the mare's urgings continued, pressing the golden queen, who was in fact many leagues away, off hunting or feasting or doing whatever it was dragon's did when they weren't by their bonded's sides.

Fix the balance, the gold's soothing tones came through their bond, resonant against the mare's very soul, as it had been for near on two decades now. They had spoken of this before, time and again, and yet Mirage could not shake the query - nor the many more that it brought in its wake.

But why should we be preserved when others have died? In new life there must be death - but our lives are not new, they are old and well-lived. Our bodies are aged and- the mare's thoughts were abruptly cut by her bonded's, who spoke rather sharply to cease her beloved's rapid-fire ponderings. It is what it is. Our bodies are old but our minds are sharp. Our hearts and souls still bonded. Your siblings are gone.

Gone… Never before had she been the only one of her generation left. Always she had had brothers and a sister to stand by her side, to watch over her, even if they were realms away, they were always together in that cosmic, unexplainable manner. The shadow-mare walked, silently along, the glisten of silver-gold at her leg the mark of the eternal twilight that surrounded her. In her mind's eye, her dragon transmitted images of the mid-afternoon light that the day truly was - but the mare rarely saw such sights like that anymore. Did she miss it?

How could she, when the Goddess of the Moon had been the one to bring her back? When she had been born to lands where the Sun did not rise, lands that she had only craved to return to ever since their demise?

The lands beneath her hooves changed. Sand, muted to a pale yellow beneath her artificial moonlight, sifted beneath the steps of her neat, rounded feet, as her steps became more energised, her gaze lifting up from her inwards lamentations, her ears pricking as she hoped to catch - what? Signs of her daughters, her niece? The Edge would have been the logical place to visit first, but the mare was not so daft as to have neglected to gather the name of the new Sultana of the Dragon's Throat. Tandavi,, and it set her heart alight. She prayed to any God who would listen that she would find her daughters there also - but to know where one relative was would satisfy her for now.

She was naturally surprised to see that changes that had been wrought upon the lands - and yet, she could see the usefulness such isolation could bring. A soft, enchanting call went up from her throat, as her dragon winged its way back from wherever it was to eventually land upon the dark mare's back. Together they stood, DragonHeart and her dragon, hope in their hearts and gazes as they peered over the watery expanse that separated the Throat from Helovia.

[ ooc :: Open for any, but she is looking for @[Tandavi], Amaris and Semira - I'll throw Amaris in here at some point, but would really prefer not to RP with myself :3 ]
background pattern by webstreats @ flickr.com

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
AMPERE
the Mother of Companions

She stood before the pillars in the sand, gaze adrift on the horizon. The tail end of her patrol concluded with this guarding of the single entrance. Even now she wasn't sure how she felt about it. After all this time, even with all her passion, Ampere continued to feel divided about the destruction of their bridge. It was silly, because the waste of thought and feeling was pointless. It was already done, and had been so long enough for the edifice she stood beside to be erected, like some beacon of the destruction and isolation that Gaucho had waged upon their home.

The herd which had no wings had not revolted as she'd feared. The outside world had not shrunken, as she had expected. Intruders had all but vanished, as she had hoped. Even now, the blue light of her eyes watched the black mare and the golden dragon come to stand at the opposing side, bridged by a wide expanse of roiling ocean water. Ampere blinked, black lashes falling against the neon gaze, her face lit up like a bar sign as the strange mare brought night upon her.

Ampere's first response was to gasp, for her feathers to lift briefly before re-settling, and for her head to turn up, like a chicken wondering who turned out the lights?. With the warrior background that she had, Ampere's gaze narrowed as it leveled the stranger across the way, because bringing such abrupt and false darkness into the land of the light, of the fire, of the SUN, well it seemed like a threat of sorts. Yet the warrior in Ampere too saw the calm demeanor in which the mare and dragon stood, calling out. "What the fuck?" her mind asked even as her feet and her wings were in motion.

The warm desert breeze lifted Ampere easily into its embrace, and in a flash she was gliding over the water that split her and the outsider, hooves already reaching out to grab the sand on the other side. In that amount of time Ampere had run thousands of different scenarios through her mind, but hadn't been able to find a solid answer to settle on. So she eyes Mirage with a sort of, guarded caution, if not interest. She approached, but kept distance between them. Her wings hung loose, but her legs were square and ready.

"Are you an agent against the Sun?" Ampere asked after a stint of silence, her tone and her posture holding authority. Her eyes were hard, like electrified stone rather than dancing light, and she put their weight upon the old mare. "You seem it, with your magic. Or is your devotion to the moon just so grand?" Here Ampere tilted her head, curiosity starting to creep in and chase away the paranoia and suspicion.
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The mare watched as the other approached, expecting the Throat to hold a host of guards patrolling its borders - the Throat of old always had a strong militia, it was no surprise (and in fact, a comfort for the mare), to see that this was still the case. Mirage knew that Kri had left, but from there her memory was hidden in shadows - the darkness had swept over the lands, she had gone to fight it and.. She remembered that the Throat and the Edge carried their alliance through, she remembered sending her daughters this way with her brother when the war broke out, and yet, she did not remember the time as clearly as she should have. It was too near the great upheaval, the dark abyss that had swallowed her and her dragon whole, then torn them apart only to put them back together again and again, slowly and deliberately extracting as much pain and then more upon the mare and her dragon.. It was little wonder the old mare's memories were fogged on details.

"This twilight is a gift from the Goddess, for my lifelong devotion to the study of her ways." Akaith had settled upon her back, as her bonded spoke amiably to the blue-and-black pegasus mare, whose disposition Mirage could not help but compare to that of the Resolute's. "I know the importance of balance between the Gods, (having lived through enough examples of what could go wrong when an imbalance tilted the equilibrium) and so I stand against none of them. I keep mostly near the lands of the Edge, though I venture south to enquire after some relatives I.. Became separated from when the Shades took the lands."

It was hard to say, to explain her situation to a complete stranger. Normally reserved, the mare did not want to give her life's story to this winged soldier, not without the promise of something in return - but what choice did she have? She was an Outcast, a vagabond, truly with no responsibilities except to the cares of her heart, which was why she was here. And she did not want to be turned away for posing a threat that did not exist, truly, she wanted peace, as she always had (though technically she had always wanted balance and equality, and whether that came with peace or chaos depended on her mood, really). Mirage would pay the price of revealing more than she desired to this time; she only hoped that it would be worth it in the end.

"I seek Tandavi and Amaris, one my niece and the other my daughter. I heard whispers that they call the Throat home now, and only wish to know of their wellbeing, though I would welcome an opportunity to see them for myself should it be presented." Halting her words, the mare's façade took on an amused glint, as she realised she had forgotten one crucial piece of information. "Forgive me, I am Mirage, and this is Akaith."

Bleh, sorry for the wait and the shitty reply.. I'm thinking timeline-wise this is set just after the Throat's herd meeting/just before the invasion?

Still open!
Mirage the DragonHeart

i-mi | larfsalot
on deviantart

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
AMPERE
the Mother of Companions

Mirage was surprisingly forthcoming. As strange as that seemed, it did not settle Ampere as much as it should have. In her experiences with liars, they were quick to respond and often did so with deliberate detail. Mirage responded similarly, and even if what she said had no purpose as a lie, Ampere had fallen for more nonsensical things before. Even her non-threatening stance was typical of he deceptive, which generally did not have the skill to actually fight.

Yet, as Ampere felt these things, she held onto them. She set them in the back of her mind and the bottom of her heart, like a little nugget of "I told you so" which she might gnaw on later. For the time being, she digested what Mirage had to say at face value, because she had no real proof one way or another. "Balance?" Ampere echoed, genuine in her interest. "Have you heard then of the Moon's most recent, terrible deeds? Are you aware of her exile from her heavenly realm and family?" Ampere felt that neither was good, least of all that she was the supposed motivation behind the most recent war. Yet few seemed to mind the Moon's absence, nor begrudged the Edge for their cowardice and victory (what sense did it make, if the Edge still existed, now under new hooves?).

Ampere sighed then, and shook her head lightly. She had no way of knowing if this mare was as honest as she seemed, if balance was actually something she sought and upheld, and even more so, what it would matter if she was and did. The moon could not just simply be brought back, not by mortals, could she?

Two names familiar to Ampere streaked across the desert wind. Ampere's ears flicked in response, and her suspicion once more flared up. She did not know either of those horses particularly well, but none of them had mentioned Mirage. Still, Ampere did not fear Mirage, and if she was being honest as it seemed, was it really harmful to share some family knowledge? They might have been hiding from this mare, after all, been to afraid to say so, or didn't think she would ever show up. If Mirage did try to hurt them though... she would recognize the family that the sand created here. "Amaris is here," Ampere confirmed after a moment of thought. "Tandavi was, but she has gone beyond Helovia on a mission for the Sun." Ampere missed her, as much of a thorn in her side as Tandavi always was. She had never properly thanked the mare for her help, and now she feared she might never be able to.

"You're welcome to our hospitality so long as you're with one of the Throat. Follow me, Mirage." Ampere moved towards the pillar Gaucho and the crafters had collected. She pulled the key from one of her knife sheaths, guiding it into it's hole with her magic. It responded by gifting Mirage with flaming wings, set to carry her to the other side of the water, where the Throat awaited. Ampere returned the key to its place in her leather, then leapt onto her own feathers, drifting alongside the dark mare.

"I'm Ampere, Gladiator here. Gaucho and Megaera stand as leads, and Tandavi once did. Amaris is a spy now, if I remember right, though she's got a hell of a fight in her."
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.