the Rift

[OPEN] Born by Lightning

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

The sky lanced with light, but it wasn’t the same sort of stuff like the aurora I had seen. This was something else a lot more violent and a lot more familiar, because I had been feeling it even before I knew I was a child of Spark; it raced through the black summer clouds that billowed overhead, a heated, angry serpent forged from blinding light. Lightning; the sky boomed and crashed with its fury, and beneath the shadow of the clouds, the world was getting flooded.

I was drenched long before I saw the thing, the tower-like structure with the stained-glass shit that I couldn’t see then, not in that type of darkness. My whole body was heavy with the water dripping from my frame and my mane—which normally stuck straight up and out at all times—was so water-laden that it was finally laying down, soggy and plastered to the side of my neck. I guess sense should have told me that going underneath he tower thing would’ve been the smart idea, what with sickness ‘n shit liking to find its way into your lungs after you’ve taken a rain-bath like I was. But nah, man, I was on a mission.

I was on a roll.

“This is rain,” I whispered, setting the egg down in some mud so I could use my mouth again, “and this is mud. It gets like this after its all hot like it has been lately. It’ll stop soon but—hey, it feels cool, doesn’t it?” I watched the egg glisten in the light that flashed from the arching, angry sparks that danced in the sky—the egg still glistened, even when wet. I got to my knees and they were ruined and the wind howled and mud found a way to get on my neck and a little too close to my eye and I didn’t care, I didn’t care, because I was on a mission, I was on a roll.

I was teaching.

“Hey,” I whispered again, and even my voice was smiling. “Hey, you.”

I was teaching it about everything I knew, everything I could. I taught it about leaves and trees; I taught it about the flow of a gentle stream because I was too chicken-shit to get it close to a roaring river; I even taught it about sand, sucking up my pride and taking it to the beach so that it could maybe feel sand through the brilliance of its shell. I mean—I dunno man. I dunno what I was even trying to—if the little creature even knew what was going on, if it could feel the softness of a leaf, the gentleness of water, the shittiness of sand, the refreshing cool of a wild summer storm washing you, drenching you from head to hoof.

“Hey, hey you.”

The egg just sat there in the mud, and the lightning crashed around us, and my heart was swelling with stuff that I couldn’t even follow. I’m not sure, I’m not sure how this little, beautiful thing of an egg could be so—could do this—could affect me like this. Like, I…

…I mean…

…I guess the only thing you could call it was falling in love.

And it’s not like—okay, I should really shut up now, because I’m incriminating myself—but it’s not like I haven’t felt this feeling before, right? It’s just—it’s never choked me like this. It’s never pushed me to go to the beach and feel the awful sand on my knees, just to teach. It’s never propelled me to into the middle of a wild summer storm and practically drown myself, to splash myself with mud when there was a shelter not 30 paces away, just to show something in an egg the beauty of—

CRACK!!

I help my breath.

K—KC-KCCRACK!!

The lightning lanced overhead and I watched the shell shatter.

And I fell in love again with what I saw.

When I saw…you.

You were…smaller than I expected. Like, the egg was small already, nothing more than rock-sized, really. And when you came out, you just…kinda…slithered passed the crack that had formed in the beauty of the shell, not really ruining it, but enhancing it in a way. Oh boy, but you were so confused though, and so was I, because I wasn’t understanding how I was feeling your confusion racing through me, your newness, your—

--but then you looked at me—

--and the thunder was crashing above us—

--and the rain was pouring fucking buckets—

--and the lightning danced across black clouds, angry and excited and vicious—

--and you—

--you were so happy.

You were just this tiny little shit with a bright blue tail and I swear lizard things aren't supposed to smile but I—shit man, if lizards could smile, you were definitely doing it.

And I didn’t realize I had actually fallen to my side, that I was covered in mud completely now, that I had done all this just so I could look at you closer, so my eyes could widen and I could try to get closer to you, the thing rising in my chest so large and powerful and painfuland beautiful that it couldn’t possibly belong to me.

How could something so little hold so much happiness?

Just to be alive?

“Hey,” I said, and I don’t even know if you could hear me, my voice was so tiny and quiet, “Hey, you.”

You crawled out of the shell fully and made your way to my face—and you climbed my nose and I was feeling you and you were so fucking tiny holy hell and I—

--I don’t think I’ve ever felt like this before, or ever, or since.

And I said something to you and I don’t remember what and you’re a little asshat and you’ll never, ever tell me what I said, what I named you. But that’s okay, because I don’t think I could ever stop loving like this even if I wanted to.

(I named you Zchiraxicon. The lightning spoke for me. Once.)

[Hatching thread for Chico!]

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

This wasn’t the first intense thunderstorm that Mesec had been caught in this Tallsun - when the days were as hot as they had been there was bound to be some breaks - but it was more thunder heavy than the last one. For the first little while, the rain felt refreshing - cooling his body as he took a break from his flight - but when the lightning started growing more frequent he began to feel uncomfortable standing out in the open and sought shelter where he could. Luckily, the strange rotunda was nearby. He lingered near the edges, watching the impressive storm as it battered the forest and earth, and was shocked to see that someone was out there. He needed to wait for the lightning flashes to get a better look but after a couple he confirmed the idea that yes, this someone was just standing around in the torrential downpour. To each their own, he supposed… or would have if this particular someone didn’t seem familiar.

All he needed was another… yes!

As a shock of violent, white electricity lit up the area around the building he could see her distinctive form more clearly, just 30 paces away from where he was hiding from the rain. There was no mistaking it this time - the brief second where everything was lit up was enough to make it pretty obvious. “Ros!” Mesec shouted, but his voice is drowned out by boom of thunder that chased the lightning. The joy at seeing his little sister (he’d swore that he’d never think of her differently and he never has) again jolted through him like she had hit him with one of her bolts. He had been wanting to find her since everything unravelled, behind the joy came a surge of other emotions. Guilt for not finding her before

There was no point in trying to call to her, convince her to get out of the rain and into the shelter where he stood. She might be out there for some stubborn reason, after all, and she was the spark god’s daughter so maybe she just didn’t mind it. Still, he did not hesitate after the storm drowned out his voice. He quickly left the building, cringing just slightly at the jolt the pelting rain brought, his hooves sliding in the slick mud in his enthusiasm but he was able to stay upright, at least.

Whatever greeting he might have given her - apologies about Hototo, asking her what she had been up to since they had seen each other in the Veins - faded away for something that made for a much, much more pleasant conversation. Mesec stopped in his approach, facing Roskuld, and it took him a moment to figure out why her face looked so off. In the dim light, silver eyes landed on the cracked egg at his sister’s hooves and the little… lizard thing that was clinging to her nose. It was small, such a funny looking thing clinging to his new bonded’s nose like there was no where else he’d rather be.

“Well would you look at what you found, Ros!” He finally said with a grin as he lifted a wing and stretched it out - holding it over Roskuld’s head to protect her from the rain and to make it a bit easier to see the brand new companion. “He’s... pretty cute.” For a miniscule lizard, at least.

<3 @[Roskuld]

I’m trying to find my direction home, ______________
A question of space, a matter of time, _______
I follow the stars until the first light.

image by jjjj56cp at flickr
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Rain doesn’t give a shit about you. It pours and pours from the sky, or sometimes it bullshit-drizzles for days on end, or sometimes it doesn’t even come down, but threatens overhead in gloomy, violent overcast. But none of that has anything to do with you or how you feel because rain doesn’t care one bit, and even though there was something glorious and momentous happening down in the mud where I lay, it continued to pour, and I’m pretty sure it started raining even harder, now that I thought about it.

But it was whatever, because I didn’t care about the rain, either. And neither did you, huh? I guess you figured it’d was like this all the time; that the huge wide world that you had been born into through the crack and noise of thunder was nothing but a huge wet spot, and you were just gonna have to get used to it. Which, I promise, it’s not like that at all. It’s not. There’s all kinds of stuff out there for you; there’s shitty sand and there’s creeks that don’t actually pour on you and there’s two different kinds of deserts and there’s waterfalls and trees and bushes to shit in and meadows to run through and hills to roll down and skies that have sunshine sometimes, and clouds others, and stars at the right moments and, if you’re lucky enough, if you’re far enough up north, there are lights that dance like ribbons for you across the horizon, lights that fuck you up and make your heart hurt if you’re not careful.

And here you were on my nose, your tiny little heartbeat thumping away as you slithered this way and that, looking into each of my eyes in turn, as though they captivated you; and you were saying hi but you couldn’t talk at all, I could just feel the greeting between us, because thoughts were buzzing like bees and I’m not sure why but I didn’t fucking care at that moment because the feeling was beautiful and I swear those weren’t tears in my eyes and—

“Ros!”*

“BRO!” I called, and the movement startled you and you slipped a little off my face and I ducked my head to catch you but you weren’t deterred in the slightest; if anything, something was beaming and glowing even harder behind your eyes, and I guess you were feeling the gladness I was feeling from hearing Mesec’s voice. Because that’s all I could detect for a second; the clouds were thick and it was dark and my eyes were swimming with tears rainwater and I had shitty eyesight anyway and his black ass melded into the background like no other. But there was no mistaking that voice--or that scent, once he got near enough.

“Mesec!” I said, my voice bubbling out of me in a way that hadn’t been seen in quite some time; I scrambled to my feet, covered from head-to-toe in slimy mud and completely and happily drenched besides, grinning my ass off as you slithered around the bridge of my nose to see the shadow coming upon us. The closer he got, the more clear his silver spots became, until it was possible to look into the handsome glow of his eyes.

You cocked your head at his large wing as it came atop us—and it was at that moment that I realized how shitty it actually was to be out here, in the rain, damn-near drowning you and Mesec, too, now that he was around. But he caught sight of you and I couldn’t help the foolish grin from spreading to all four corners of my face. It would have been embarrassing—but I couldn’t care at that moment, because I was in love and so were you and fuck the world except Mesec because he’s okay I guess.

“He—“ I started—before a shiver came over me, and I realized we were still getting pummeled by rain. “Actually--hold on,” I said—and with careful steps, we made our way to the protection of the rotunda, my movements slow and careful so that you wouldn’t slip off my face. Fortunately, you found the indent of my horn a good place to grab, and you hung there pretty easily.

“So….yeah,” I said, turning to Bro, hoping he had followed us underneath the thing. “He’s…he hatched for me,” I murmured, the warble in my voice still there and still wondrous and still strange as all hell. I crossed my eyes, catching your attention; and when you looked at me with that question in your tiny little pupil, my grin went into overdrive. “This…this is my brother,” I said quietly, my voice brimming with excitement and the things I was still feeling for Mesec, all hushed-up and rolled around in my whisper. You blinked at me, and I knew you were feeling the glow, because I was feeling your glow too, as well as the questioning thought that emanated underneath the happy jazz. “A brother’s…someone with a peen you grow up with,” I explained, getting a mini-headache from having my eyes crossed for so long and not giving a single shit, “They’re really special.”

You turned away from my eyes to look at Mesec again, and this time I knew you understood what I was saying, and why it was so important for me for you to meet him. You reached out to him; you slithered your skinny little shit-body down my nose and to the tip of my muzzle, reaching out with the length of your body to see him better—and maybe touch him, if he let you.

@[Mesec]

It was so good to see that smile on Roskuld’s face, a real - bright, before-sickness-and-death-came smile. He felt that smile brighten his own, it made him forget the completely insane storm that was going on around them. No wonder she was standing out in the rain, did everyone that was this happy just not care about the weather? All the same, reality and relief flooded through Mesec when Ros interrupted her explanation to make toward the shelter. Smiles or no smiles, they’d end up in another one of those cleansing-Helovia floods if they stayed out here for much longer.

He kept his wing outstretched on their move toward the shelter, doing his best to keep sister and companion somewhat dry, and only folded it once Roskuld was safely in the dry area. Once there, she explained about how he, the lizard, had hatched for her. There was so much emotion in her voice, he watched her carefully - the warble bringing forth all manner of concern from him but she didn’t seem sad and he couldn’t shake that grin just yet. Maybe it was a happy warble, maybe the intensity of the new connection with her companion was overwhelming? He wouldn’t know, not first-hand, but he watched her carefully as she turned her attention back to the lizard, her brown and blue eyes crossing as she tried to focus on the tiny creature.

It was a funny sight, his not-so-little-anymore sister, standing there absolutely dripping with water and standing there all cross-eyed, but it was the explanation of what a brother was that brought forth a short chuckle from him. Basically that summed it up... but the chuckle quickly died when she continued. They’re really special.

Sisters were too.

He had caught the attention of the lizard, it seemed, because it turned to face Mesec and then stretches out those front, ridiculously tiny feet. Of course he couldn't resist, he moved forward slowly and carefully jutted his head forward to allow the tiny lizard to touch his nose. He tried to not even breathe too deeply, lest the sudden rush of air disturb his sister's new companion. The tiny feet felt funny on the soft skin of his muzzle and now he was going cross-eyes trying to focus on the thing but he actually had something to say to it, in a conspiratorial whisper, as if Roskuld wasn't just a few inches away and could hear the entire thing. "You couldn't have picked someone better to bond to than my little sister, you know."

Didn’t really matter if it understood him, maybe just his tone would be enough. Silver eyes refocused on his sister and finally got around to asking the question so he could stop referring to her new companion as “the lizard” or “it”. "So what's his name?"

@[Roskuld]

I bit my lip watching you approach Bro like that, your little body snaking away from me to put your tiny-ass feet on him too, and it was like two pieces of my life connecting together for a span of moments, two indescribably precious things that made my heart twist and contort and fracture in so many different ways that it was confusing and mindboggling and beautiful but I’m too hard to admit that shit.

*"You couldn't have picked someone better to bond to than my little sister, you know."*

A gift. He offered this shining thing to me and to you too and it was wrapped in gold and silver and shining like hell and I couldn’t help it; I gasped a little, my eyes pulling harder than they were already pulling, and my face was still wet enough that the things seeping from my eyes slid smoothly without too much of a detection. It was too much; it was a thing I didn’t deserve from him, a thing I couldn’t accept but he was making me accept it anyway because even though your daft little mind didn’t understand a whole bunch of words ‘n sentences or whatever, you were still beaming up at him (as much as lizards can beam, anyway) and I could see the sunrays shining through yoru head and the warmth that started gushing from you to me and I--

--I snorted and you little ass sort of left my muzzle for a moment but you plopped right back down again, breaking off from Mesec to curl yourself on the bridge of my nose and look up at me with your liquid, excited eyes. “Yeah, whatever,” I said, trying to brush off the gorgeous thing Mesec had offered—and having no choice but to go ahead and accept the shit because you were in full agreement with him and it was 2 v 1 and there was no contest.

I looked away, my eyes still kinda leaking even though I was getting a handle on it. Heavy things were starting to shatter the sparkling curtain that enveloped us; memories of things that had happened to us, that were happening to us. The old man’s whisper of “moon” still haunted me, the idea that there was some piece of me, tentative and hesitant and oh so sorry, that had suspected Mesec’s hand in the murders. Hototo’s…death…hung like black curtains around the pillars of the thing we were standing under and it was hard and I’ve already cried all my tears out for Hototo but that doesn’t mean the scar inside was anything more than a fragile pink rope of a thing that leaked pus at the slightest provocation.

But then Bro gave me something new to worry about.

*"So what's his name?"*

“He’s…” I started to say, my eyes flicking back to Mesec. Then they widened, the words dying in my mouth. Fuck.

Fuck.

What did I name you?.

I knew I named you, like I could just remember the feeling of actually giving you a title. But my mind was open and blank; there was nothing substantive to grab onto, other than the idea “yes, I’ve given him a name, and I’ve totally forgotten about it”. I felt something cold and sticky slide down my throat, into my stomach. I forgot your name. I forgot the name I gave you. All I could come up with was that it had a chuh sound in it. Chuh, chuh…. chuh--what?.

And through all this trauma going on through my head, you just sat on my face, looking up at me with a grin in your eye that I didn’t see for being the devious little thing that it actually was.

Chuh…. I said slowly, my brow cocking a little in confusion as I tried to spit out my companions name that I fucking gave him. “Chuh…uh…Chhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiico? I answered/asked, my gaze flickering crossed again to get your approval.

And you were just there, looking at me.

Smiling away.

Okay, fuck it, your name’s Chico. And there was the sunlight again.

@[Mesec]

Was the lizard smiling at him? Could they even smile? Mesec wasn’t sure and maybe staring cross-eyed for this long was starting to affect his vision but he certainly got the impression of a smile. The gasp after his words caused his sight to flicker to Ros, had he said something to upset her? Maybe it was too much, re-affirming the idea that she was family to him, after she had lost someone that was actually family to her. He didn’t know, and he didn’t know what to do to make it better.

No one could quite make his heart restrict in the way that Ros did when she cried - whatever the cause of her tears. This being a rather new observation because he could not remember ever having seen his spunky little sister cry before and it was certainly not an experience he imagined either of them would like to happen again. Maybe it was just the rainwater, anyway, a little bit seeping down from that short mane of hers or sliding off of her horn. Yeah, that could be it.

She snorted and pulled away, taking the little lizard with her, and Mesec straightened back up. The nagging feeling that something was wrong didn’t quite leave him but it was put into the back of his head. The ‘Yeah, whatever’ was greeted with a grin, a stupidly happy grin, because that was exactly the reaction he expected so there was no need to say anymore on the subject. He didn’t pull that kid sister of his in for a hug or show any more of the swell of affection for her that was growing inside. Although, they weren’t really kids any more and, eventually, he was going to have to stop referring to her in such a way. Any last remaining shreds of foal-hood had melted off of both of them in the past year. They probably grew up faster than most, they had to. But however old they got, he couldn’t just shake the memory of her birth - when he promised Ophelia he’d protect their family.

He hadn’t been doing a very good job of that lately.

His question seemed to baffle Ros for a minute but Mesec waited patiently, assuming that she just hadn’t thought of something yet. But she managed, sort of, to answer. “Chico.” He repeated, testing out the name and sounding a lot more confident than Ros did herself about the name. “That’s a good name. Welcome to the family, Chico.”

A random thought crossed his mind then and he couldn’t help but voice it out loud. He knew so little about companions, and even less about lizards. “I wonder what it- uh, he eats.”

SORRY FOR THE WEIRD POST @[Roskuld]

*”Welcome to the family, Chico.”*

And look at your lil’ chest swell. You looked back at Mesec and the sunshine in my mind was blinding and I couldn’t help the idiot grin on my face from spreading again, stretching my cheeks painfully at your tiny pride, at Mesec’s acceptance of you in our fucked up lives. Yeah, it was fucked up and damaged and limping along—but it was still a family and the blood of battle might be thicker than the water of the womb but all our asses were thick anyway so it was a double whammy of thick….ness? I guess?

(Wow that metaphor ran away from me, didn’t it?)

Bro said something about you eating, and I—well, it’s true I hadn’t really thought about it, what with my confusion still kinda bubbling rampantly, this newness of you in my head, the tiny heartbeat ticking along the bridge of my nose that fluttered so fragily with your excitement. “I—uh,” I kind of stammered, my eyes flicking between you and Mesec. I doubted you knew what you liked, what you wanted to eat, if you even wanted to eat. But…well, you were just born right? You probably needed something in you.

I glanced around us, looking down into the shadowed stones of the thing we stood under—seeing the cracks that ran moist with soggy earth rainwater that found ways to drip in. I lowered my head, scanning the tiny flickers of movement that I caught in those cracks; slippery, slimy things that wiggled to and fro in there, inspired by the rain. Worms.

“Think he’d like worms? I asked a little hesitantly; I huffed down to my knees, rolling to my side as I laid my head on the ground. You sort of braced yourself with my movement and, as my face finally touched the ground and I gave you a little prod (Go on, it’s okay—“) you paddled your tiny ass of my nose and onto the floor, falling in love with every new sensation (the cold marble, the gooey mud packed in between the tiles—) before instinct drove you to waddle your way to the nearest slimy thing wiggling in the mud.

I didn’t think a worm would kick your ass—but it still gave me some trepidation to watch you go on your first “hunt”. Cutest shit ever, bruh. You didn’t know how to pounce but I swore you pounced on the shit, and the lil’ guy didn’t stand a chance against your mighty, tiny ferocity—and before I knew it, you were munching your way through worm-guts, your lil’ mouth myam, myam, myaming while I contained my awkward squeal of pride as I laid there splayed across the stones, a proud mama if I ever knew one.

@[Mesec]

“Sure!” He responded enthusiastically to the idea that Chico would like worms although really, he had no clue. Ros seemed to be doing alright with figuring everything out on her own, though, so he didn’t think she needed any more than a small push of encouragement. Silver eyes watch with an easy smile, an expression that radiated fondness, as he watched Ros lower her head - interact with and learn about caring for her new companion.

There had been things Mesec wanted to talk to Ros about before he had found her today, comforting things and ways to make sure that she was getting by alright, but he couldn’t bring that up now. That sunshine smile that he was getting from both her and her companion dispelled any chance that he’d risk being the one that caused that smile to disappear. He always stirred up dark thoughts when he was with Ampere, the shadows clung to him even through conversation, and he would not ruin this day for Ros by doing the same for her.

What kind of big brother would he be if he interrupted the touching (if disgusting) moment where Chico tried to swallow a worm for the first time, by bringing up everything that had happened? He wanted to swear to her that what they talked about in the Veins was true - that he had no idea what his mother had been planning - assure her that whatever it took they were going to make it. Hell, they made it this far - for her he would move the world of Loorien to ensure the safety of what was left of their family.

Mesec was glad she had Chico but he didn’t want to go forever without seeing her again. He wanted to see her safe and wondered if she’d come back to the Throat with him. Probably not, if she knew Aithniel was there as well, and maybe there were a dozen other reasons why it wouldn’t work but her wandering around the wilds on her own didn’t work for him. That was exactly what he imagined her doing and it hurt to think of leaving her again. When would they be reunited? Was it going to be another season or two down the line? One of them was always disappearing, they took turns, and it was a cycle he hoped to stop.

Funny what you think of while you’re watching a lizard hunt some unsuspecting worms.

He lowered himself to the ground near his sister, folding his legs underneath him but remaining upright - though he did get a glimpse of the little lizard eating away at some worms. Well, he was glad it worked out and it was hard to find it so gross because the entire situation was so tiny. He thinly feigned disgust though, for the sake of a joke. “I almost regret asking. That’s pretty gross... I hope you don’t pick up the habit.” A snort then, as he pictured it. “I can just see you now, your mouth all filled up with worms. As your munching away, a couple spilling out as they try to escape.” A mock shudder as he teased her. The light-mood was infectious - he couldn’t remember feeling so at ease, so big-brotherly. “You two are going to get along great.”

BIG BROTHER MESEC @[Roskuld]

stock by resurgere & brushes by para-vine at deviantart

The rain still wasn’t letting up—in fact, I think it was just getting worse. The wind whistled through the pillars of the thing we were laying under and there was a huge C R A CK in the sky and for a second Mesec’s face was super-lit and your little eyes were dazzled in the blinding light of the lighting that struck somewhere nearby. I whipped my head around to search for it—I could hear something being struck, feel the buzz in the air, the residue of destruction—but the light was gone in a flash and my ears were ringing with the loudness of the thunder that continued to rumble, and I had to blink too many times to really pinpoint what had been it. It hadn’t been this structure—that’s all I knew.

Ain’t like you were fazed about it. The worm was tiny but you were even tinier, so your bites took time to make any headway into the still-squirming, shiny worm carcass. Myam, myam, myam. Damn dude, you were chowing down. The lightning and the thunder and the violent rain be damned; you had discovered hunger and food and you were enjoying the hell out of it, bruh. You made that shit look delicious as fuck, so when Mesec spoke up about how he imagined my mouth full of worms, I kinda lost it and I rolled onto my back, braying with laughter.

But then his comment set some things into motion, bringing flashes of images and sensations to my eyes--memories, memories that I had completely forgotten I had. But they were so locked up and so buried beneath so much bullshit that they came up dusty and grey and strange, yet familiar in the warmest, most painful way possible. “You remember,” I started, my words laced and warped with a giggling I couldn’t stop, “You remember that one time I rolled around in some mud after it rained an’ I kept rolling over you while you were trying to sleep?” I was so tiny back then, and I guess Mesec was too—but then again, he was still big to me then, the biggest, most perfect target for torment I had at my disposal.

The memories kept pouring in, rushing to my eyes and my head and I was staggered at the life we used to live—a completely different world, kept pristine in these things. “Remember that time I watched the Executioners spar and I tried to spar your kneecaps?” Because in this memory world, the Foothills were still standing strong and proud, rolling green and indomitable and filled with so many badasses. “Remember when I rolled this giant-ass snow-ball down the hill at you while you were talkin’ to Ma?” My belly rolled with chuckles and you were just sitting there, myam myam myaming, watching these little blips of sunlight race through my mind. “Remember that one time I told this one girl who was mackin’ on you that you wet the bushes?” I could still remember his face, all scrunched up and locked and embarrassed and I rolled to my side, going breathless with the laughter that exploded out of me.

God, how I missed him. How I missed everything. Way back before..

“I was an awful sister,” I hiccupped, the tears that were a little less painful, a little more innocent leaking out the corners of my eyes. You were just finishing up your worm (myam myam myam--) and you were turning back to me, feeling something sober up in my head, and you waddled your little curious ass back toward me, all sloshy and full with the food ‘n everything. I was still laying on my side so it was easy for you to climb back up onto my face and settled yourself behind my ear, where it was warm, where you were probably thinkin’ about falling asleep. I followed you with my eye as best as I could—the chuckling finally dying in my throat, because memories can only make life so sweet for so long before the darkness trickled back in place to fuck with you.

“…guess I still kinda am,” I found myself saying, before the thought of it even crossed my mind. But I didn’t need to think about what I was telling him. I knew.

@[Mesec]--Most of these memories are made up, so they're open to interpretation! HOWEVER the memory about Ros telling "some girl" that Mesec wet the bushes actually happened in this thread!

There was a storm raging outside, hammering at the ceiling of this structure and everything outside of it. When they emerged, when the sunlight returned, he did not doubt that there would be fallen branches and leaves thrown around everywhere. That existed in the future, though, and the storm felt far away from them as they laid on the ground together - Roskuld rolling onto her back and roaring with laughter. He loved that laugh, how it sounded like she didn’t hold anything back, and it made the storm recede further and further away from Mesec’s mind. With her laughter bouncing off the ceiling, with the company of her and Chico, it simply didn’t matter what the weather wanted to do. They were existing, for the moment, in a bubble of memory and happiness. In the Rotunda, it was a lazy Birdsong afternoon with the sun shining bright and not a single cloud in the sky.

The tumble of memories started with her words, he saw each one so perfectly. He supposed they had not really happened that long ago but it felt like they had, it felt like there had been a lifetime between now and when she was small enough to roll over him. A burst of laughter escaped him, punctuating each memory with delight as he remembered too. There had never been much sleep with Ros around, there was always something for her to do. He remembered the annoyance at early wake ups to loud noises, sharp pokes with her horn, or the weight of her entire body suddenly collapsing on him. He always thought it was safer to sleep lying down with her around though - although he knew his legs would lock while he was standing he also knew his little sister would be the one to find a way to knock him flat on his face - a literal standing target for her.

He could still feel the heat of embarrassment and horror when Roskuld had told Frost Fyre that he wet the bushes but he laughed now, shaking his head. “She wasn’t mackin’ on me. I still can’t believe you said that to her.” But if there was any chiding in his voice it was drowned out by her laughter and his shortly after - his head tossed back and he rolled to the side, his wing catching him before he could fall over completely. He welcomed these memories and all the others that came rushing in of that happier time in the Foothills.

But the last remnants of the laughter evaporated suddenly when she continued. He might have - probably would have - laughed off the remark about her being a terrible sister when they were younger. She had beat him up a lot for being such a little runt, but he couldn’t let that last remark slide. “No. No you weren’t, you aren’t.”

Mesec was sitting up straighter now - his eyes trained on her. He wasn’t sure how much she believed that she was an awful sister but he could try to make her understand that he didn’t think that at all. “I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything, Ros - I wouldn’t trade you for anything.”

And now it was his turn to play the game. “Do you remember... the day you were born…” He began in a whisper, thinking that she wasn’t likely to - there had been a lot for the newborn filly to take in that day. His voice was only just audible over the sound of the drumming rain - the thunder and cracks of lightning quiet for the moment. That storm did not seem so distant anymore. “I… I promised Ophelia that I’d protect you. That I’d protect our family.” The depth that his failure went could not be put into words. He had wanted to be the best big brother to her that Helovia had ever seen - wanted to create a family bond with her that he had not felt with d’Artagnan’s children. He knew that she could take care of herself - she had taken care of herself most of her life - but he still wished he had been there for her. Maybe if he had been a better brother they would have kept tabs on each other, maybe she wouldn’t have left the Falls, maybe Ophelia might have stayed too. Maybes. He couldn’t change any of that though and there was no way for him to tell what might have happened.

He was filled to the brim with wishes. “I’m so sorry Ros. I haven’t protected you from anything.” Little sisters were special and he had been given a chance with one of the best - but he felt like he had spent the last few years throwing that away. “I couldn’t protect you or our family.” He said family but he was thinking one name: Hototo.

@[Roskuld]

*“I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything, Ros - I wouldn’t trade you for anything.”*

My mouth twisted; it could have been a smile or it couldWould you say that if you knew how much pain I bring our Ma just by breathing? The questions lingered in my head, poisonous and awful. Would you say that if you knew the awful things I shouted at her?

I couldn’t look at him, because the mist lingered in my eyes and I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off as rainwater anymore. I just looked down at the stones in front of me, and I felt you curled up somewhere behind my ear, and I could feel the tiny snoring your little lizard body did when it decided to shut down. I felt for it like a lifeline, something precious and dear and new to keep me grounded amongst the shit that was rising within me, making it impossible for me to accept Mesec’s words:

*“Do you remember... the day you were born…I… I promised Ophelia that I’d protect you. That I’d protect our family.”*

Nah, bro. Of course I didn’t remember, and there was something about the revelation that made me twist my mouth in a bittersweet smile. Because what he was saying was so grand and the only thing anyone ever told me about my birth was how I had tried to charge his knees the moment I saw him. Awful, awful little sister--

*“I’m so sorry Ros. I haven’t protected you from anything.”*

I looked up at him finally, at the tone in his voice—shocked by it.

*“I couldn’t protect you or our family.”*

“Mesec, no--“ I said, sitting up a little straighter from where I lay. But then I paused, considering his words. I had believed myself the only one with this burden to bear—but I had never once considered howhe would feel, when it was his own Ma who orchestrated this misery in our land. How must that sort of shroud feel against his shoulders?

I ain’t good with emotions. Figures I’d be even worse with the emotions of other people.

I sighed something wet and shaking. “We…we all dropped the ball on that one,” I said, and I don’t know if I was going for something comforting or cynical—the words just sort of slipped from me.“He…we ran around the world, skipping in circles, and it wasn’t enough to change fate, bro. We…you…”

I looked up at him, and I didn’t care anymore that there was something swimming in my eyes, salty and bright. “It…it fucked me up when I learned you were adopted,” I said, the confession coming out of me before I even knew what I was confessing, “It fucked me up for a long time, dude. But it didn’t change anything, did it? Because I still see you and my brain says ‘Bro’ and it used to hurt but now I—“

I blinked, and some things overflowed, and you were sleeping a baby sleep too hard to know what was going on, “I think it’s ‘cuz you’re so damn good at bein’ my Bro,” I said softly, my eyes falling back down to the stone, “and I can’t ever find another Bro like you. I think you’re doin’exactly what you need to do.” I smiled bitterly. “Trouble gon’ find us whether we tried to protect each other or not. The best we can do is love hard enough before shit hits the fan, and you’re doin’ it right.” I paused, biting my lip. “…at least, I think you are.”

@[Mesec]

It was comforting, knowing that Ros did not blame him for what had happened. It was his mother after all - he had spent time with her just before all of it went down, why hadn’t he known? He had been agonizing over that question since that day, feeling it eat away at him even as he looked for distractions elsewhere. The belief that he could have done something to stop it, to save all those lives, was an idea that he just could not shake. Not only Hototo but everyone that lost a family member or friend because his mother wanted to restore “balance” to Helovia. He was comforted by her words, even though they could not erase all of the guilt.

More confessions came pouring out, they’ve started something and there does not seem to be any way to stop it. Moments ago they were both laughing so hard but now everything is somber and he can see that her eyes are swimming with tears but he can’t do anything to fix that - he can’t even stop his own. They might joke about how Roskuld was an awful sister but she was awful in a way that they could laugh about afterward - not awful in a way that made him run away from home. There was such a glaring distinction between the word sister when applied to the mare before him now and the children of d’Artagnan. “I forget most of the time, or I’d like to forget. You and Ophelia… you guys gave me a real family.” When Ros had tried to headbutt him the first day she had ever been born, and all of the other little-sister things she had ever done since, he did not feel as though he was an adoptive brother. They were siblings - the fact that he had been born into another family, raised by them for a time, did not make them any more real than the little one he got to have with Ophelia and Ros.

And they shared something else - the bond of having to deal with being the child of a powerful God.

He felt the sting of pressure in his nose, silver eyes glossy with tears rainwater as he listened to her accept him as her ‘bro’. What else could he ever want than to hear that? The reassurance that he was good at being a brother. If nothing else, at least he could pull off that role. Maybe he would never be great at being a demigod, or a son, or a crafter, or a warrior, or anything else but if Ros thought he was doing an okay job at being a brother - he was doing alright. “I do love you, Ros. No matter how many times you try to skewer me with your horn or whatever we get into next.” Mesec did not think they would ever be given the luxury of even an easy season here or there because there was always something else lurking in the shadows waiting to come out. “And if you think I’m doing it right, I can live with that.” There was a smile again, growing slowly though his eyes still shone - but maybe that had less to do with the tears and more to do with the company.

“I joined a herd recently. I wanted… wanted a home again.” While they were getting out confessions, though this one was significantly less heavy than the others. He didn’t want to always be an outcast and wondered if Roskuld ever felt like that too. “Feels kind of weird but good, you know? Normal, which our lives could use.”

@[Roskuld]

*“You and Ophelia...you guys gave me a real family.”*

There it was; that twist in my mouth again, and this time I actually bit down on my tongue to mask the bitter bile that was threatening to rise. Jeez--how could I explain to him how those words wrapped around my neck like barbed wire? How could I tell him I wanted those words to be true so bad it made my eyes throb? How could I let him know how fucked up our family actually was; how much it had shattered since the last time I saw him? He was probably the only one that connected us, the constant that kept steady even when the rest of us fluxed in varying degrees of misery.

But at least it was better for him; I remembered what Ma had said about the Basin and how awful they had been, and how she had saved Mesec from that “horror”. My gut writhed uncomfortably; what kinds of “horrors” had my Pa let slide up there? What had Mesec been saved from?

Who could do anything horrible to him? Who had that kind of conscious? He was kinda a pansy, that was true, but that didn’t mean you could treat him like...like…

...like what?

*“I do love you, Ros. No matter how many times you try to skewer me with your horn or whatever we get into next...And if you think I’m doing it right, I can live with that.”*

My smile became warmer and genuine and way too dewy and I couldn’t look him in the eye and maybe that was shitty of me but my grin was growing too wide to hide anyway. “I love you too, Bro,” I said in a low voice--the first time I’ve ever admitted it in words instead of something rough and playful. I couldn’t keep playing the tough act, at least not forever--and besides, I had to have said it one day, right? I had to let him know before...before something….

I felt you shifting in your baby sleep behind my ear; I felt the little blips of dreams that were too tiny and new to make any kind of sense. With that buzzing in the back of my head, Mesec started talking about him having joined a herd again. “Where you live?” I asked in a low voice; my eye still hadn’t dried enough for me to look directly at him.

*“Feels kind of weird but good, you know? Normal, which our lives could use.”*

“Yeah?” I asked thoughtfully. I shifted from where I was sitting; it wasn’t the first time I had thought about joining a herd. It wasn’t so much of an itch than it was an idea--but it never felt like a good one. Ever since I found out the Foothills had been pulverized into some shitty waterfall, the idea of settling down somewhere felt so wrong it almost hurt in my chest. There was no place that could ever feel like my home the way the Foothills had.

...well. I lied. There was one place that lingered in the back of my mind--but that was a bad idea in all kinds of ways.

@[Mesec]

He was grinning too, when she said it back, and didn’t mind that she wasn’t looking at him when she said it. That didn’t matter, but the smile and the words did. Maybe this right here was why Mesec found it so easy to remember the good things about his life in the Foothills and forget the bad, when he only seemed to remember the bad about everything else. He was picking and choosing which memories were the strongest and it was showing in how he interacted with others, how he was making decisions.

But at least, whatever else, there was love here.

As he responded to her question about where she was living, Mesec shifted where he lay but made no more move to stand than she did. Not yet, anyway. “I’m living in the Throat, of all places. Everywhere else… the Foothills turned into the Falls, the Basin has some bad memories and I think my father, and… my Mother is in the Edge.” Mesec knew all these reasons for avoiding the other herds but when he spoke them outloud to Ros, he began to frown. As the words came out he realized that he was developing a serious habit of avoiding his problems or situations that might be uncomfortable.

No Basin because of the memories he had there, because he was pretty sure d’Artagnan and any number of his siblings might still be living there and he hadn’t seen them since he had broken Aviya’s horn when they fought before he fled.

No Falls because he was afraid that it would feel strange living in the ruins of the Foothills without those that had made that herd a home.

No Edge because he was unwilling to face his mother in the wake of everything that had happened. What could he even say to her beside demand the same question that everyone had already asked her - why?

A lot of negativity, a lot of reasons why not which made him feel uncomfortable. So after this realization he quickly added “And I had some friends in the Throat that were happy to let me stay.” It was true: Ampere lived there and he did not mind admitting that her presence had been a considering factor when he had made the trek south looking to be accepted into the herd. “If you want, you could come visit sometime. Everyone’s pretty nice.” He wouldn’t pressure her into joining the herd, if Ros wanted to she would and he didn’t think any words from him would persuade her one way or another. “Chico would probably like the sun after being nearly drowned today.” The rain seemed unwilling to let up even for a moment and Mesec wondered if he’d end up spending the night here, taking shelter in this strange structure and napping through the storm until it finally broke.

@[Roskuld]

I couldn’t help the way my lip rose a little in disgust when he mentioned he lived in the Throat, too. Like, don’t get me wrong, he can live wherever the hell he wants as long as it makes him happy, y’know? But, like. The sand. It was just so hard for me to get passed this idea that it was such a shitty place but now so many of the people I loved the most was taking up residence there. “Not you too,” I sighed exasperatedly—and there was enough humor laced in there to soften any edges. Jeez, it feels like everyone’s going down there for some reason or ‘nother.”

It was sticky when he mentioned his Ma in the edge; I grit my teeth a little, just a little in the back of my mouth, and once more I battled that urge to stomp my ass over there, to another shitty sandy place, and try and face off with a weakened god. But point was moot, though; we’d already been over this. Burning a god at the stake wouldn’t bring Toto back—it wouldn’t bring anyone back, except, maybe, an ancient chaos the gods had eradicated millennia ago. There was a reason they were there (a reason for our birth) and fucking up that balance wouldn’t really bring sunshine and daisies, would it.

The moment passed, though; he went back to talking about the Throat, and my ears perked a little as I listened to the way his voice kinda rushed around his words. I looked at him, finally; my tears were starting to crust but I mean. It’s whatever, right? I least I wasn’t sniveling like a baby anymore. “You like it there, at least?” I asked him quietly, “You’re happy living there?”

I sighed and shifted a little in thought. “I was gonna visit sometime anyway….Jiji lives there, too.” My mouth pulled into a little bow of a smile when her name passed my lips—always smiling for Jiji, even the thought of her crossing my mind making me feel….things inside. “Yeah…I’ll see you there.”

I dunno about Chico though—that little thing still snoozing on my head. He could like what he damn-well wanted but I was gonna make sure he knew the full shittiness of the region before he jumped to any conclusions. Cuz yeah, sand was pretty sometimes, and the land down there wasn’t that awful to look at. It was just…everything else about it that was awful, awful, awful.

The rain continued to pour around us, and there was still the music of it pounding against rainbowed glass, like wind chimes or some shit. It was too dark to see the curtains of it falling around the rotunda—but I was noticing the wind was gone, and so were the bright flashes of lightning and the deep grumbling from deep in the clouds. Guess the storm was weakening a little—but I wouldn’t have minded if it lasted that entire night. It felt…nice…to sit here with Bro after so long, catching up—discovering once more that there was a solid reason I called this guy my “Bro”.

Mesec--Care to wrap up an old thread? :D