Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

“No, shut up, I’m not doing it again.”

….

“No, hush, just shut up.”

….

“You can just fuck off I’m not doing it again, okay?!

“You just—AWGHGH—“

Like, I understand that it was pretty weird that I was in the middle of a field seemingly talking to myself, since you can’t really see Chico from his spot behind my ear (you shut up, ass) but it wasn’t even a conversation for anyone else too so I didn’t really care that much.

To make a long story short, Chico had this thing (okay let’s pause for a second. I said before I didn’t remember what I had named Chico; it was a spur of the moment type deal and I promptly forgot it by the end of that day, and even though Chico remembered good ‘n hell well what I named him, it turns out my companion’s a douche-nugget and found it funny to leave me grappling in the dark trying to find out the name I gave him. So I said “fuck it” and started calling him Chico.)

Uhm. Hmm…What…what was I even—

--OH YEAH so Chico has this thing where he really, really liked being tossed in the air. Which sounded cool ‘n all—until you realized this guy is all of two inches long, a tiny little shit of a lizard-baby, and flinging him anywhere was dangerous anyway but in addition to be a douche-nugget he also rolls super hard apparently and he had been making me fling him really really high into the air because I just can’t fucking say no to that face—

--but I was doing it now because every time I flung him (you, I’m looking at you, you little shit) my heart stopped and I broke out into a sweat and I spewed expletives with greater, louder frequency.

“I’m not fucking doing it anymore so shut up,” I said, pacing back and forth, and I was standing firm this time. He (you, I guess) wasn’t gonna strong arm me into doing it again. You had this thing where you don’t even use words and you were nothing but raw emotion and I—I could feel the rush you got every time you flew through the air, the air cool and raging around you and the earth spinning and your heart free and your face smiling even though lizards don’t smile and okay fine I’ll do the shit just shut up.

Even though you weren’t saying shit. But you were excited as hell.

So you scurried down to my nose and I could feel your tiny heartbeat and I didn’t even have to toss my head that hard to make you hop so high in the air—

--and up above there was that wonder again, that happiness that was all over you, that excitement you felt and freedom coursing through your veins as you sailed through the air, some tiny lizard just flailing in the breeze—

--and down below I was screaming “SHIT SHIT SHIT” and I was run-pacing back and forth, squinting my eyes against the sun in order to see your tiny black shadow arching back down to the ground, so that I could maybe-sorta-catch you—

--and it was done in seconds; suddenly there was a tiny plup and there you were on my nose and I could feel how dizzy you were and the soreness in your bones because your landing was kinda hard for a lizard that was just inches long—but you were so happy and I was happy and scared and mad at you all at the same time.

Especially when you looked at me and I could feel the questioning emotion already bubbling right back up.

Fuck no, I’m not doing that again.”

But you knew I was gonna.

@[Mauja] first please! Then others welcome!

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
She was gonna, and she did.

But there were more things cutting through the air—larger things, dangerous things on broad, silent wings. Things with keen eyes, sharp beaks and sharp feet. Things.. things that were drawn to motion, to mischief, like moths to a flame. Wing-tips just barely not touching they rode the updrafts rising from the meadow, souls stretched into feral grins. Watching.. waiting...

Until it all happened at once, a cry, a streak of white, and the flash of sunlight on blue barring.

And his freedom surge had become a prison. A prison lined with soft, white feathers, a prison with sharp-talon bars, the pitter-patter of his heart echoing against the bones of her feet. Overhead, Diego made some kind of noise that could only be described as laughter.

Asshole bird.

"HEY!" he yelled at the sky, knowing what they were doing, but having lost them to the sun's harsh glare. It bit his eyes whenever he tried to find them visually, so after a moment, he just gave up. He knew what they knew anyway—saw what they saw, the world so distant and so small now that they both rode higher again, where it was colder, but her closed grasp shielded the small animal from the worst of the wind-chill. And he saw what they saw, that small, stocky mare who looked like she'd been dipped in milk, or had had it poured down her back, or, or, something, whatever.

Point is, that lizard was Elding's, and his bastard owls had snatched it from the air just like that. Never mind the almost tender precision which with her talons had closed, never mind how flawlessly they had avoided sinking into his fragile body, never mind how owls don't hunt like falcons (they're a different kind of death, gliding on silent wings, striking with much the same lack of sound, hot blood spilling out over claws as they carried their prey away, but they don't plummet and free-fall in their chase), never mind how she was just giving him a prolonged ride, and—

I get it.

Irma's cool amusement had turned to indignation, and he knew she had half a mind to just fly off with the damn lizard and let them tear after her like mad, but in the end.. In the end, what? It wasn't over yet. Nothing was over yet.

It was just that he knew her, and she knew that he knew, and they both knew that she was mostly just annoyed, and jealous, that he was so afraid she'd hurt Elding's pet lizard (where the hell had it come from anyway?) that he almost, almost accused her of wanting to eat it.

I'm sorry.

Murderer.

He knew how that kind of thing hurt. And he hated how he'd projected it onto her. She deserved better. She knew very well whose lizard they had caught. And that was why she had caught it in the first place, instead of just shredded the little fucker and eaten it for dinner.

"I know," he rumbled, to no one, because there was no one near enough, but he knew that she heard him anyway, echoing through their bones. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. It's just—" And he swallowed, ears hanging back in shame. "It's just kind of.. rude?"

But rude was the middle name of both those owls.

Sighing, Mauja picked himself off the ground, and set off across the meadow, trying to chase down the lightning before it burned his soul-mates to cinders.

[ @[Roskuld] ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

So, uh—

--a lot of stuff happened all at the same time, so I’m not sure how or where to start or whatever.

I guess I should focus on you, because you’d like that, wouldn’t you?

(Narcissist ass--)

Because you were…like…floating on air. Like jeez, did you have any chill or nah? Cuz you’d been alive for—what—some days now and there hadn’t been a minute where I felt at least one scrap of sadness or anxiety or anything and it would have bugged me if your happiness didn’t make me smile so wide.

And boy, were you happy.

Especially then, when you didn’t plup back down on my nose like I expected, and instead you were taking an extended ride through the skies and the winds and the rays of sunshine and the everything and you were soaring outside and inside and I didn’t see your little lizard eyes bugging out but they were probably bugging out and wide and lizards don’t fucking smile but you were probably up there surrounded by soft owl feathers and fierce owl talons smiling your ass off.

While, down below, I was freaking.

OH HOLY SHIT, I screamed (shut up, you shut up), my eyes bugging out as soon as I felt the leap in your heart and the missed beat of your landing on my nose. I stared straight into the sun, which was smart, because then I really couldn’t see you, or anything for that matter—which really poured gasoline over that little catastrophe, huh? Because my pulse was skyrocketing and the sweats were back and I don’t think I’ve ever been that scared in the 6.23 seconds it took me to glimpse those owls soaring through the air (yes, it took those many seconds, I counted). And even though your blind, fierce excitement raged in my mind, it did awesome battle against the tidal wave that was my fear for you--and, as soon as I saw a white shape darting out of the glare of the sun, the air crackled around my face and there was lightning shooting out of it before I could even register holy crap that white thing was an owl.

A white owl.

A white owl.

And I felt stupid for thinking it, because there couldn’t possibly be only one white owl on this whole goddamn world (technically I was right to assume because—uh—how many snowy owls are there that travel down so far south?) and it wasn’t until I glimpsed the brown shadow following playfully behind the white’s wing beats that I allowed my instinct to break through the surface. (My hope.)

No, fuck off, it was an instinct.

But the realization did weird, awful things to me, down in my gut, up in my head where you could see it, and maybe you weren’t paying attention to it at that moment (what with the flying ‘n all) but you would sure as hell remember it for later (because I guess you’re a douche-nugget who does shit like that, y’know, bring up old shit). I paced back and forth, my eyes still on the owls because my heart was still thumping like mad (for you), but my ears were twitching this way and that; I strained my sense of smell to catch a musk that I had memorized; my body started buzzing electric for a touch that I—

--uh—

--I mean, whatever.

But I was still pacing, and I was feeling awful because I had shot lightning at the damn birds and I was feeling like a jerk and then I was mad because you had been snatched from me and then I felt like a jerk for being mad at his owls and this probably doesn’t have anything to do with anything but I hadn’t bathed in some time and it was just now starting to worry me and to be honest I—

--I just wanted you back.

“Cheek,” I gurgled weirdly, still pacing, my eyes still glued to the zooming of the birds, Cheek.” Because I knew how much fun you were having and it was making my spirit soar but—

--jeez—

--you were so high up and I…I couldn’t follow.

(for now)

Shit Cheek,” I garbled, coming to stand at the crest of a hill as I watched you frolic in the air. Please don’t drop his ass. He’s so tiny.

talk

Ascended Helovian

One of us was lying,
both of us half-damned,
one of us the lion...

So if it wasn't enough with Mauja projecting all of his unsavory ideas onto her in those 6.23 seconds—his blasted friend had to try and murder her, too. Her talons were firmly sealed around Chico, the grip tight and grumpy (I can squish you, little thing, and you'd better hope they don't give me reason to), and her attention elsewhere (on him, and his apology)—on that idiot they called bond-mate. And just as he was soothing the tirade she was working up, putting ruffled feathers back into their places, Diego did something that was.. a little bit of everything; sound, projection, mind control.

She had the unpleasant sensation of a cold flood sweeping her out of her own body, her mind spinning and free-falling through a blizzard; a sickening lurch, like a strong wind flipping her over, and the sun spun overhead.

In the next moment, the bolts had passed, close enough to have left a faint trail of molten feathers—a dirty streak across her back.

Irma drew a breath like a drowning man just coming back above the surface, sorting through the facts with razor precision and predator speed—and white rage ignited in her mind. With Chico still in a too-safe grip (she makes me wish I could just drop you) she swerved sharply, frozen eyes and frozen heart reaching out to the mare.

You will know yourself better after this.

It was a tidal wave of darkness and ice, asphyxiation, a titan's fist closing around Elding's heart—it was a wolf, preying on everything she had hid deep within her soul and tried to bury.

It was a split-second moment of whatever she feared the most.

A moment in thrall to Irma's vengeance.

With an indignant huff she released the illusion after a few seconds, winging away with a wary, curious Diego close behind, and a lizard trapped in her grasp. They could be worried all they fucking pleased, but if she wanted her pet lizard back, she'd better be ready to work for it.

- - - - - - -

"Shit," he spat, out of breath, white knees bent and forced into the earth; grass and thistles had broken where he had somersaulted onto the ground.

The sun had spun for him, too, a blur in the sky. None of them had been ready, and Diego's compulsion had taken Mauja completely by surprise—the end result had been that all three of them had sort of careened sideways, two to save their lives, and the third just because he couldn't stop himself. Gurgling out something incoherent he peered up, more shaken than he wanted to admit, trying to steady his rattling nerves.

He could still see them, two distant shapes growing smaller and smaller, the vehement flash of Irma's rage cooling in the pits of her mind. And without knowing it, he had held his breath again—and when he realized it, he forced it out in a sigh and fell back onto his side. Most of his body throbbed, not entirely appreciating his sudden stunt trick.

He wasn't appreciating it, either—it was just dumb luck that he hadn't stuck his horn into the ground and snapped it off, or broken his neck, or something. "The hell," he mouthed into the grass, white mane spread on top of him like the cloth draped over the dead; he could barely remember it, just.. the crackle of static, the searing heat, and his vision spinning...

".. whatever," he said after another moment. His nerves were starting to shut up, too, and sure, he'd remember this for a long time. Sure, the sensation of being halfway out of his body and sort of semi-intentionally throwing himself down on one shoulder and then rolling in some way over himself was creepy as fuck. But why linger on it? So with a grunt he heaved himself back onto his feet, disheveled and sort of filthy, and climbed the small hill he'd been heading up. The lizard was safe. The owls were pissed. If Elding's pose was anything to go by (now that I can see you)..

.. well, he didn't know her well enough to take any hints from it. But if the lightning was anything to go by?

Yeah, no. Might want to be careful, King of the Asshole Owls.

"Elding?" he called, wary, starting down the hill on the other side and heading for her hill instead.

Please don't kill me.

This was the second time her rampant destruction had him hanging back; the second time he witnessed the destructive capacity she held within her small, compact frame...

Wings of flame fluttered in the back of his mind, in the back of his soul.

Destruction bore many masks. The corner of his mouth flicked up in a small, dark smile. Perhaps he should start giving others reason to approach him, too, with care.

.. and one the lamb.

[ @[Roskuld] ]

It was crushing, like great icy fingers closing in on your heartstrings, wringing them too tightly, an untrained puppeteer. I watched with wide, horrified eyes as the owl’s talons seemed to open—and there was just the teeniest of shadows, nothing more than a speck of dust floating in the breeze, really, gently falling from the sky from its place within the bird’s feathered feet. And it seemed like it was falling so gently because it was so small and it was falling from so fucking high up.

I was watching you tumble to the ground.

And, in a split second, you were gone from my sight, because you can’t see dust falling through the sky from so far away, you dip-shit.

“CHICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO—“ I called, my voice breaking and raging and sobbing almost all at the same time, and I almost, almost bounded forward right then and there, into open space, because fuck me I was still on a hill but you were falling and I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings anymore and if I ended up leaping off a hill towards a fruitless endeavor to try and catch an invisible body and crushing my clavicle in the process then—

*"Elding?”*

But then that happened.

Turning, my eyes wet and wild and my voice the exact same, I saw him, again, always there when some shit was going down—and instead of leaping into stupid space, I whipped my body around and launched myself at him, screaming “LEE, SHE DROPPED HIM, SHE DROPPED CHEEK, CHEEK’S FALLING--“

But I had gone like—what—4, 5 steps or so before I stopped in my tracks, my voice dead in my throat, my eyes blank and slightly crossed and my mouth hung open in stupor because—

--well—

--you were talking to me.

And yeah okay whatever it wasn’t really talking. Shit. Semantics, yo. You were communicating in a telepathic manner in such a way that I understood that you weren’t *actually* dying. (Did that pedantic shit appease your Nazi ass? My god--) In fact, I guess what was really capturing my attention was the fact that this was the first time I was feeling something other than happiness or gleeful assholishness from you.

It was alarm ringing through you. And I couldn’t see it, but you were probably wriggling in the owl’s grasp (that you were still in, oh thank the stars’ sweet nutsack--) with the alarm you were feeling, the confusion and fear that was coursing through you, a novel experience.

You were alarmed at my own distress.

And as it registered in my mind that you were worried about my own freaking out--well. It was as though the huge frigid fingers that had been holding my chest and mind together in a blur of panic suddenly let go, bored of me all of a sudden, and my head was falling back into place and my chest was expanding and inhaling real air and I could barely remember exactly what had utterly terrified me before and I was slowly becoming aware of the blank, stupid look on my face and the glazed stare of my eyes and how utterly foolish I probably looked just standing there, freaking out over absolutely nothing--

--right in front of Leos, no less.

I mean, shit.

“Uh,” I said, my eyes sliding back into focus and onto the rough-cut edges of Leos’ tentative grin.

Well, damn. How do you play off something like this?

(I mean, I could drown myself--)

I would have looked away, or walked away, or something, but the terror left me empty and you had calmed down from your own anxiety and you were actually laughing at me now, you awful shit and allowing the soaring feeling to overtake you again and I was too blank to really think of something witty (or dignified) that could save me from this sticky situation. In the back of your mind, you kept an eye on me, because I guess you wanted to see how I was gonna screw this up some more.

(Or maybe you were just so ready to finally, finally meet this guy).

“Uh,” I said again, eloquent as fuck, “Wha….why are you covered in thistles?

Oh yeah, smooth like butter.

[Ros has no chill, bruh]

talk

Ascended Helovian

“CHICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO—“

Like, what? Chiiicoooo.. and as always when he was around her, it made him want to yell things (like he'd yelled about that motherfucking boat in the Veins, to Gods who never listened). So right now, he wanted to yell CHIIICOOOOO too (or, potentially, he wanted to yell chicken), but he didn't—the words were dead in his throat, because this wasn't fun-screaming. It wasn't the kind of yelling that obliterated your problems and made you ride this awkward, exciting high, like you were on top of the fucking world.

This was the kind of yelling that sent your heart hurling out your mouth and into the air, the kind of screaming that turned you inside-out and let out all the emotion-blood from whatever wound had teared up inside your soul.

Irma? he asked into the silence—not accusing but just confused, mouth dry and his heart hammering faster in mounting, silent panic. He asked for her because she was stability, she was safe, and in this roaring storm he'd suddenly found himself in he needed something to hold on to. What was going on? What was—who was Chico? (The lizard? Had to be.) Why was Elding practically shrieking at him? “LEE, SHE DROPPED HIM, SHE DROPPED CHEEK, CHEEK’S FALLING--“ And she came hurdling after her own words like an avalanche of fear and agony, and he just stood there staring at her kind of dumbly.

“—what if it’s not what they needed? What if they needed someone great who could do all this amazing shit--but instead—instead they got me and now TOTO’S DEAD!!”

The intensity of her soul awed him,
and the strength of her love shamed him.

Because where she was raw lightning, untamed and wild and fierce, he was just a statue carved from marble, with eyes that spoke of life but just covered up something dead. Where she was able to cry her eyes out and scream all of her pain out, he was just cold and silent, as if everything he held within just ceased to exist.

He was nothing. He wasn't sure he was frozen over or some such shit—he was pretty sure he never had felt like she had. It was almost as if that level of depth was just.. missing.

And it was an incredibly depressing thought.

But let's re-wind because there's factual errors and she's staring at him kind of dumbly, as if she walked into a wall, and he's staring at her in a kind of detached confusion masking the hurt he felt within at his own realizations

"No..?" he hedged to that dumbstruck visage, 'brows furrowing and shit, that shadow cast over his gaze could just be the shadow from the sun, and not the chasm opening underneath him and threatening to swallow him.

Half-life

—but there was a tiny, wriggling lizard stuck in his (her) grip, safe still in its prison of insulating owl-feathers and sharp talons meticulously cleaned of blood and gore. They were going further and further away, but if it's one thing that's never stretched thin with distance,

it is that kind of love.

Irma was sort of indignant still, not exactly angry because the fire had burned out, but still irritated. Otherwise, maybe she would've told him all the things she knew and that he needed to hear, but for now, she didn't, and Diego simply glanced back once, torn between his need to follow Irma's silent lead, and the need to let a certain spotted stallion know that he had a heart.

He was just a bit dumb about it, most of the time, trying to forget about it or bury it and then dragging it up at odd times and just cutting himself on it because it was shot full of glass slivers.

“Uh,” marked Elding's return from the land of crossed eyes and slack jaws, and he figured she had realized that Irma was a responsible owl who didn't drop her passengers mid-flight. He shrugged where he stood, not sure when he had stopped moving but he had, and for what felt like the tenth time made an attempt to close the distance between them, hoofing it up to where she stood. Uh came out again and he agreed silently. Like, what else do you say, when there's been a pretty serious case of companion kidnapping, and then assault, and then yelling and more accusations, and, uh, shit?

It's not like he's angry, though. But damn, his left shoulder is still throbbing, and in the back of his mind he can still feel the unpleasant smell of Irma's heat-slick feathers. And he still can't get angry.

"What," came his instant response, sort of blurted out because with her, he never took those eons of silence—never had those eloquent phrases shaped in his head, taking their sweet time to roll off his tongue. With her, shit just fell out of his mouth and he didn't know whether he liked the change or if it scared him witless. Then, "Oh,", and he could feel the dirt-streaks on his body and the tangles in his mane and, yes, thistles. "What, don't you think I look good in them?"

[ @[Roskuld]! ]

The throb of my heart was receding, which only meant more room for my mind to settle and my perceptions to right themselves on their bases. Slowly, the impact of Leos’ presence settled on my shoulders and haunches until I realized why it was such a big deal in the first place. My ears perked steadily upward and my face was probably pulling into all kinds of taut, fantastically weird positions, because it was a stupid mess in my head with how glad I was to see him and my gears weren’t as well-oiled as they could have been and the struggle to keep the idiotic grin off my face was all too real and critical. So I uh…I probably kept at least half of it off.

Good work, team.

It didn’t help that a whole half of him was fucked up, and my brow rose as he seemingly owned up to the shit, like it was deliberate or whatever. “I mean,” I sort of blurted, because even though my head and my heart was returning to the closest thing to normal as it could whenever I was around Lee, that doesn’t mean I could think, “I ain’t trying to judge or nothin’, but uh…” My eyes swept his form top to bottom, taking in his scruffy appearance with greater detail (a free card to stare if you wanna be picky, but you shut up) “….it looks like you just got done bustin’ your ass.”

And then it got funny and I was having trouble keeping the smirk off my face because the longer I looked, the more I noticed that the thistles and the debris and whatever that clung to his coat seemed to be concentrated on one side of his body, like he really had bust his ass not that long ago—and I dunno, the image tickled me a little more than it should have and I was biting my lip a little to keep the grin from getting any bigger than it already was and fuck me if I wasn’t already screwing things up in all the 4.59 seconds of us speaking together and--

I turned suddenly, my gaze careening behind me in a nervous tick, eyes scanning the sky for shadows that weren’t gonna be there.

Because I hadn’t stopped feeling your happiness, had I? And maybe that was the giddy bubbling in my head when I should have gone back to being cool and collected; maybe that feeling in my gut was still you, and there was a flash in my head of clouds and wind getting in my too-big lizard eyes and a growing adoration for winged creatures you thought were the bomb-diggity--

--but I was remembering other things, too, things that sobered up the bubbles that poured from your head and into mine. The bite in my lip got harder and the lines in my face fell a little and suddenly there wasn’t a smile anymore. “She won’t—uh, actually drop him, will she?” I asked quietly, my voice sort of oozing out from behind my teeth before I could stop it. “He’ll be fine, won’t he?” And I knew it was kind of a dick thing of me to do, to start doubting him and his owls after I had attacked the bastards, oh yeah, that happened didn’t it?, but ah, I couldn’t help it. The afterimage of your tiny, falling body had faded but the impression was still engraved, the faint worry still tugging at me, and I couldn’t help it.

“I’m sorry,” I blurted suddenly, turning back to Leos again, the words rushing quickly from my mouth, “I—I couldn’t help it, I didn’t see who it was, I wasn’t—I didn’t mean to hurt her or any--“ No, of course I didn’t mean to hurt her, not after I had realized who she was, who she was associated with. But in the moment Chico had been snatched from my reach, and into the heavens—no, I was trying to fuck someone up. There was no point in sugar coating it.

I felt absolutely dickish. I mean, I dunno, maybe that thing that had happened to me was still playing shenanigans on my best judgments, because I was coming up with the weirdest crap to settle my nerves and make things right. In that moment, desperate to try and make up for nearly flash-frying his snowy owl, I ducked down and plucked some thistles from the ground—and, after sort of bumbling my way closer to Lee, I attempted to shove them onto his side, the cleaner side of him that seemed so desolate and pristine all at the same time.

“You’re lopsided, I said in defeat.

talk

Ascended Helovian

And it's not like he knows why he said that, or why it even mattered, or why he cared, or why she cared and who the hell cared if he was covered in thistles anyway? They were purple and kinda pinkish, and that's a nice color, right? Right. Right.

Diego was laughing at him. Mauja glared into the distance after him.

It was just the knee-jerk reaction that had fallen off his tongue, playful and kind of coy, a defense mechanism—he couldn't count all the times those kind of sentences had torn themselves from his skull, his fragile attempts at controlling a situation which he had no control over, situations that terrified him and came after him like wolves braided up with lotus flowers in their long gray fur.

“I mean,” she was saying, sounding like she felt like he did, sort of raw and confused and like she was just spitting words trying to find her feet again (but the ground keeps on bucking). And she was looking at him with those oddly colored eyes; what should've been black was spitting blue, a highway to her soul, and he figured it was fitting that she had lightning in the center of her eye.

Because he thought she had lightning in the center of her heart too, electricity arcing through metal-wrought veins.

.. bustin' your ass. Bustin' my ass? It was a throw-back to that first time on the beach, when they'd found that odd, unbalanced draft, the one who got so indignant when Mauja pushed him over in the shallows (gods he couldn't help but smirk at the memory, a moment of his dark lips curling before he smoothed out the expression again)—when Elding (Loudmouth) had told him to take that dark moron and bounce. Maybe.. maybe bustin' your ass had something to do with bouncing.

Or it had nothing to do with it and he fought down the urge to say vamoose because after all, he didn't want her to go.

The realization struck him like something cold in the face, sudden and demanding; he recoiled mentally, bounding back a step in his head, but the only thing that happened in the real world was that, maybe, his eyes got a little colder, and his breathing a little stiller. And it was like she felt it, or if she had some thought-demons of her own suddenly coming into her skull, because her kind of adorable grin fell and she was biting her lips and he was drowning, struggling in the tide of emotion because it was like she was his kid or something but he didn't want to ever make her feel like she was lesser or young and stupid or something, so maybe she was more like his little brother or something—

Yeah whatever, mister confused, just shut up.

"He'll be fine," Mauja said quietly, unable to look at those eyes, turning to stare after the disappearing owls; they weren't even specks in the sky anymore, having disappeared somewhere into the distance, playful and violent and rolling through the heavens—but she never opened her foot, never allowed Diego to wrestle his talons into hers in their crazy owl-games, holding that tiny, fragile body with the kind of tenderness you never really expect to find in a predator with a soul as cold as Irma's. "And she'll be fine, too," he went on as she blurted her explanation, but his gaze had narrowed, as if he couldn't blame her and he could forgive her, but still there was something there, some kind of warning, like, if you actually hit my owl the next time you'll regret it—

—but then she was plucking thistles from the ground, awkwardly pressing them and her soft nose against his right side, the burrs sticking happily to his thin summer coat. Mauja turned his head to look at it, at what she was doing, sort of confused and curious but then she said “You’re lopsided,” and despite everything going through his head (owls and companions and soul-family and whatever) it pulled a bark of a laughter from him, brief but soft and deep like thunder.

And then, he simply rolled his eyes, fell to his knees and then to his side, rubbing himself vigorously against the ground, and somewhere, someone was probably crying at what it did to his long, luscious mane.

[ delirious fever posting yea @[Roskuld] ]

His laugh made me too happy, like I was getting high or some stupid shit like that, and I couldn’t stop the idiot grin from spreading back across my face, racing in place like it had just been waiting for the perfect chance to strike after all. Okay, so he forgave me. And his owl was fine and we were still square and as long as we kept our paws out of each other’s hair I guess we’d stay that way.

It shouldn’t have been anything to get ashamed at being happy about—his forgiveness, this game we were playing with thistles of all things. It shouldn’t have mattered that my ghost sort of lifted a little from the dark cloud of stuff that had attacked me only minutes ago. The issue was the way it kept rising, my chest and throat filling up with suffocating bubbles that came from both the sky and the ground where Leos had dropped and started rolling the thistles off. Trying, anyway. The smirk I had pulled into something wicked as I watched him tumble around on the ground. “Nah, it’s too late,” I said with a flick of my too-short tail, “now you’ll just be itchy and green.” I remembered the last time I had gotten thistles on myself (on accident)—and how itchy that left ass-cheek had been all during that day, and how some kid had come up to me, cussing a fire-storm and exploding the goddamned trees wherever she looked, wherever I pointed—

Lucky charms, I thought suddenly, imagining green streaks all across Leos’ backside, clashing with the purple barbs that had dotted his chest, and I couldn’t stop the ripple of a laugh that snaked its way out of my throat before I could even analyze the stupid thought I was laughing at. Then I snorted, turning away from where Leos lay on the ground; I started pacing, too keyed up to act on the impulse to lay down there with him—too giddy in a way I couldn’t stand to look him in the eye. I didn’t understand why I was so excited, and I couldn’t just keep blaming it on you, like I was all your fault that bubbles kept sneaking up my throat to try and choke me. My eyes sort of drifted into the sky, vague and sightless, because I wasn’t seeing you even if I knew you were somewhere up there, having a blast ‘n everthing.

I could still feel it too, if I focused on that corner of my mind. I could see with your eyes if I wanted to, feel your heart beating in your own chest, feel the wind whipping through the owl talons and right into your gaping, star-struck mouth. I couldn’t stop the shiver running up my spine every time I dared to share those kinds of experiences with you—because on one hand it left me too vulnerable, too open to the wide open plane that lay outside the confines of my skull. But then again, I trusted you to show me something amazing, even though you were just some tiny shit who had way too much fun seeing me embarrassed.

“…It’s so weird,” I found myself saying, barely coming back to myself enough to realize that my words were directed at Lee, wherever he was, “It’s like…his egg just came out of nowhere for me to find and…when he hatched--“ my ears pinned and twitched, the words failing the thoughts that wanted out, “—it’s like…I mean, I dunno. Like he could see right through me and I could look right into him and he’s….”

I bit my lip thoughtfully, and suddenly I was turning back on Lee, shooting him questions like bullets again. “Was it like that with you? I asked, tentative and prodding, flailing with concept that I still didn’t understand, “When they hatched for you—were they…are they always there, in your head?” I’ve always known some horses to have these lil’ ass creatures following them around sometimes—my thoughts turned to Tinek and how he used to drape all silvery and badass across my Ma’s back—but I’d never had reason to believe there was something deeper and sightless that was going on between the two of them. I just always assumed they were bros.

My ear cocked suddenly and my gaze went unfocused—because I sensed a shift in you. Your happiness hadn’t abated and the cheer you were feeling kept spilling out in waves, but I could feel your little body start to squirm in the owl’s grasp, insistent and urgent, and I could feel the new sensation that our mind was sending me: you wanted to come back to me. And I didn’t need to really look for an explanation, because I was thinking it to: that this was the furthest you’d ever been away from me and maybe it was great for a while but there was a pull that neither of us could ignore. My eyes swept this way and that, looking for your shadow—where you might be zooming about, wondering, vaguely, if I still needed to catch you or not.

[oops figured I should try to get back to this lol]

talk

Ascended Helovian

About the only good thing with having a horn attached to your forehead was this: you could skewer someone. You could turn them into shish kebab. (You could do that with ice spires, too.) You could punch your way in between their ribs and end that otherwise ceaseless motion of their heart—and the red would follow the spirals down until it pooled on your forehead like a battle necklace of rubies.

But it was dried blood.

Aside from that one, violent fact (and maybe a few other things, like poking about in holes?), having a horn.. well, if he was going to be completely honest, as he lay there under a clear blue sky and rubbed himself green against the ground, he figured that maybe, in the long run, the unicorns weren't the best off. Wings... The Pegasus could fly. They could spread their wings and take to the skies, soar and fall and spiral through the air, travel and play and fight, and... And equines, they could roll onto their goddamned backs without getting cricks in their neck.

For a brief, glorious moment, Mauja lay as much on his back as any horse could, pale belly bared to the disinterested sun. His front legs were tucked, and his neck stretched out, buuut.. instead of being able to rub the top of his head on the ground, which he imagined would feel pretty damn awesome, it got stuck at this odd, uncomfortable angle because there was a horn in the way.

"I thought," he grunted, coming down on one side again, sprawled but peering at her with the air of utmost dignity and sincerity, "that green and purple work well together."

But then there was that shift again, like her eyes went out of focus, up into the clouds and the sky where the owls had since long disappeared with her new friend. He knew what it felt like, to stretch across the distance and feel someone else as intimately as you felt yourself—to share in their highs and lows, their thoughts, their feelings, to share their vision and their hunger; satisfaction. How many times hadn't he felt the echoes of them gorging on some unfortunate rodent spilling over the bond? How many times hadn't he lurked in the backs of their minds, enjoying that wolfish kind of feast?

With time, with practice, it got easier to keep one ear on them, and one ear on his own life. They faded into the backdrop, they had their own lives, satellites around you but more like your roommates and not some annoying cat living underfoot.

But they never disappeared. They were never silent—apart from that one time, when he had been lost in time. Irma had ridden his withers, but if he had reached for her, he had only found .. nothing.

Come to think of it, now that he had lived years and not just months with her—it was terrifying. If that were to happen again.. now...

He swallowed, and decided to not think of it.

"Yes," he said after a moment, sober now; still lying down, but within the confines of his mind again. He wasn't sure why it hadn't surprised him when Irma hatched—maybe.. maybe he had been surprised for a moment, but she had come so violently into his mind, a blizzard raging before falling asleep with her belly full... And after that, there just hadn't been any room to doubt or wonder. It was just the way things were. "You're never going to be alone again." For better or for worse. His dark lips curved into a small, almost sad smile, but he let her see it only for a moment before hauling himself to his feet.

Without them, I wouldn't be alive anymore.

They hadn't saved him from some kind of danger.
They existed. They cherished life. And they would die with him.
That simple fact had made him step aside from Ophelia's horn.

"Come on," he said, wondering if she would sense that the cheer in his voice was faux. He felt old and heavy and afraid, ashamed, sick to the core with how deep he had fallen. "Let's go see where those featherballs took him."

Because I can feel him squirm in my grasp.

[ @[Roskuld], the end. <3 ]