the Rift

[OPEN] i never conquered myself

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

I never thought I'd die alone
I'm too depressed to go on
You'll miss me when I'm gone

Frozen air presses out of her lungs and bursts from her nostrils in a transparent mass. The land is dead in the way that no one wants to inhabit the endless spread over than the animals that she can't see and plants that accept that they've been rooted to this empty location. Without the sea of snow spread out before her, it isn't actually the steppe. Her heart pines for the endless blanket outstretched as far as the eye could with pale skies over head, an almost desolate landscape both ways that met each other at a blurred line, massed behind skyscrapers built of stone. The north is spring wasn't really the north, as the desert covered in snow and ice would never be the desert that you think of when you hear the word.
This wasn't the place that she'd always known, and she cursed her assignment to the north for the season. At least during Frostfall this land would be filled with something: snow, bittersweet memories, and northern lights. Oh, how she loved the northern lights.
In broad daylight that swallowed the night in a gluttonous fashion, leaving behind only small pieces, there was nothing but grass to fill the bellies of those who visited and soft, weak sunlight. Burned skin found relief in the gentle caress that a northern Tallsun day brought.
Her patrol partners were gone, somewhere she couldn't find them, and while she was nonetheless patient, loneliness nipped at her breast bones, putting chips in the walls of bone encasing her heart.
Emptiness kills was a lesson she'd learned too hard in the past year. Having escaped the grasp of self-brought death through depression was an experience in itself, but it always discovered a way to resurface.
The silence is shattered like glass with her whinny, crying out in a way that makes wonder why basic instinct would want her to look for someone when her mind found social settings difficult. It might of possibly been the worrisome feelings she harboured for her patrol partners, but as the cry escapes her once more, instinct is more to blame.
Neck extended and ears forward, she listens for something. Knee high grass slaps against her legs as if to remind her that she has some sort of company in the land, but offers no relief.
Sometimes, the land went ahead and swallowed all of those that dared to venture out into it and became last, doing so without a single care of anything that might of meant something to whatever they could discovered a purpose for.

OOC: Seasonal patrol for the Dragon's Throat.
Anyone is free to reply.
@[Ryuu]

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit
ryuu
You are a brick tied to me that's dragging me down / Strike a match and I'll burn you to the ground / We are the jack-o-lanterns in July / Setting fire to the sky

My hooves hurt.

It's a sensation I should be used to by now, but I can't seem to numb myself to the sharp pain that hounds me through my life. Momma spits fire whenever I get put on patrol, and even Uncle has a dark shadow that flickers inside the pits of his eyes when he finds out. But there is little either of them can do. Perhaps Uncle could, but what Momma doesn't know is that I beg him to allow me to go, to not talk to Gaucho about it. It has to make me stronger, right? No matter how much it hurts, pain is just weakness leaving the body. I was so tired of being weak, I wanted to finally be strong. Like Momma, and Uncle, and all the foals who ran around not knowing how much I envied them. They didn't know how lucky they had it, how simple their healthy, normal lives were. It made me hate them, made me hate them so strongly it scared me.

So even though it was a long journey, far longer than the last patrol I had been on, I set out early to make sure I was there to find my partner. I was lucky, just as I had been last time. Ilaria was with me, as Cera always made sure of when I went on patrols until my own companion hatched, and the mare I was looking for was yet another soul Uncle knew. I was starting to realize that he knew a lot of people. It was a little intimidating at times, but it seemed not many seemed to realize the relationship between Momma and Uncle, and I was an even further thought from most of their minds. But it was okay, I told myself hollowly. I was used to being ignored, bypassed, turned invisible by the blind, uncaring eyes of those around me.

Clutching my egg closer, I weathered on through the freezing climate. Cera said that the lady, Sikeax, was nice, but I was ever doubtful. Meg had turned out nice, at least, and so had Sacre. But so few people ever seemed to notice me, it was hard to not project my own self-hatred onto them, turn them into monsters that would grow quickly irritated with my problems. I was useless on a patrol, I could hardly walk much less run away from anything I encountered. Instead, I tried to focus on Ilaria's warmth at the base of my spine, right before my hips. She hated the cold almost as much as I did, and we suffered through it together until she alerted me with a sharp barking sound.

I turned, spotting the lady's form in the distance, and struggled forward to greet her. My hooves were numb from the freezing snow, but the ache from my frogs had moved to splinter up my legs instead, and my limp was heavy and pronounced as I made my way painfully towards her. Still, there was a smile on my face. Always make a good impression, be nice, I heard Momma's words in my mind.

"H-Hello. Are you miss Sikeax?" It would be horribly embarrassing if she wasn't, but at least if any of the more racist Basin members came encroaching I could use my cursed blood as a pass. Even if it made me feel isolated from Momma to not have wings, it would keep me safe in some ways. Placing my egg down in the snow, I limped to greet the medic, only to hear Ilaria whine. I turned, watching as a crack spread suddenly, violently, down the edge of the egg. I yelped, because even though Momma and Uncle had prepared me, the first thought in my head was that I had killed the soul inside meant to make me whole.

"It's hatching," I breathed, wild eyes turning to Sikeax, scared. But I wasted no time in dropping to my knees beside it, offering my warmth as Ilaria placed herself on the other side. It was a horrible climate to be born in, I thought idly. Especially when it would have to come live with me in the desert. It emerged far faster than a normal egg, perhaps it was the magical quality of it, but soon a blind whelp was sitting there nosing around in the pieces of shell. I felt a tickle at the edge of my mind, and then as if my stomach had dropped out, everything fell into place. There's no way I can describe it, but it felt like there was suddenly no loneliness, and even though she couldn't talk I knew she was there with me in my head. I could feel how she felt, her discomfort and petulant irritation, and then as she registered we were connected, the sudden overwhelming love. I gasped beneath it, feeling suddenly small and helpless. But her name slid over my teeth, as newly born as she was, even though I hadn't contemplated her title at all.

"Mali." I turned eager, childish eyes to Sikeax, and wished for a brief, bitter moment that Mali could have been born surrounded by others, because I didn't know this lady no matter how nice Uncle said she was. But it didn't matter, I guess, because she only needed me, just as I only needed her. "Her name is Mali." Would she even care?

@[Sikeax]

image credits

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!