the Rift

all the voices sing

Antinanco Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The first step he takes into the Threshold of Helovia is done with tell-tale hesitation - without the loud and convincing chirp of Teetonka he feels like nothing, small and meek, there is not yellow bird to sit on his shoulder and whisper confidence into his head. Instead Antinanco must rely on his own bravery and skills here, something he has not done in a very long time.

That is not to say that the feathered stallion is not capable, he can do anything he wanted should he set his mind to it, but for someone that loves their own company, and rarely seeks out the company of others, to find themselves suddenly alone in a land that is stranger to them then anything they have experienced before can be more than little daunting.

But Antinanco, much like the rest of the population, does what seems natural. He fake's it.

That is why his next step seems a little surer, more confident, that is why his head lifts, tall, sharp ears perked forward attentively, and his soft golden eyes focus on the shadows that lurk between the trees. It is not a horrible place, he concedes, and once familiar it might even be pleasant.

The trees were not too thick, their leaves sparse enough to tell that the sun had started its journey towards the horizon line, early afternoon, still bright. Although the forest grew thicker the further he walked into it, it seemed to be ushering his sore feet along the bottom of the mountain, and the deeper in he moved, the easier he felt, as if the uncertainty would soon give away to something like excitement, rumbling deep in the depths of his dark chest.

A N T I N A N C O

[please note that antinanco only has two ears (one set) not four]

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
It has occurred to me that Midas might be under a bit of stress lately, and I've taken it upon myself to return to attempts at recruitment. I hate recruiting. It's monotonous and you never know if you're actually going to succeed. But I feel bad for the painted king, and perhaps I won't mind the job so much if I can get a few new members, and help the ol' boy out. Not that I completely disagree with him, either. We desperately need new members. The faces I've known have fallen from the ranks: Bellona for a time, Ciceron left, Agrona vanished, Cashmere too. My own ranks especially, my own soldiers, have diminished considerably. If war every comes to the border of the Falls, we shall all be doomed I'm sure of it.

So with laden, reluctant steps I walk through the Threshold, patrolling for lonely souls. Damaris has stayed home once more, leaving me to do the dirty work alone. I think that perhaps she might have planned it this way.... She knows how grumpy I get when I'm forced to do the same task over and over again. My head hangs low, drooping with lack of enthusiasm. Maybe I'll get some treat for this.. a cookie or something. Haha. Only the Dark Side has cookies.

It doesn't take long for me to find a stranger. They are pretty frequent and this one stands out in the green forest like a sore thumb. Black with fiery colors, this stallion seems strange but... if I were a homosexual... very handsome. I approach him at a steady pace and raise my head a bit higher, as if I'm interested. (And I kind of am because... well... Ehem, there's something in my throat..... EhemSexyEhem.) "Comrade! I am Rostislav of the Hidden Falls. Welcome to Helovia. Might I ask your name?" Wow, lots of words. I guess there's like.. a spiel now. Though if I developed one properly it would also include "Please follow me to my home which is now your home. Kthxbai." I guess we can't all be perfect.

WC: 349
Tag: @[Antinanco]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

I never thought I'd die alone
I'm too depressed to go on
You'll miss me when I'm gone

Overall, her personality is not made for the trips into the Threshold. The whole ordeal is invasive, picking into things that she wasn't quite sure that she liked to give out. Yes, giving out a name was a polite thing to do with introductions, and if another did so, it encouraged the act more, but Sikeax would rather be rude against all will to lock away secrets. If her name really was needed, then she would allow it be kept in safety with those who deserved it.
A name was something to be worked for. You wouldn't want to give something important to a stranger that you might never see again, right?
The Dragon's Throat was small and extremely close knit, made into a true family rather than a group of souls and bodies living within a shared space, forced to work with one another for the better of the whole. What the Dragon's Throat had was something she'd loved above all else. It gave a meaning, a feeling of being important in a bigger play. Searching for those who could play a piece in the puzzle was difficult; even she, as a young child who had been desperate for a fresh start and knowledge, had faced racism and distrust at her lack of wings at the border when she came to join.
Scents overwhelmed her once inside the trees. They throw themselves towards her while she searches, nostrils searching for the calm scent of earth instead of the stench of a million different bodies, each with unique smells spewing from their presence. A bath was always due when it came to entering and leaving the Threshold.
Aloe Vera caked her amber champagne coat and gave a faint odor, mixed in with her own. Something smelt funky, if that was even the word to describe it. It made her noise crinkle up rather quickly. Normally, it would of driven her away, but curiosity kills the cat, and Sikeax could be the cat that got away for a day.
It brings a gift, in the end. Rostislav is there, faintly remembering the smaller stallion from a previous excursion in the threshold. A tip of the head with sword pointed towards the draft is all that she offers in greeting.
The other, well, he's a whole new thing.
His colours confuse her, blinking to drink them all in slowly as he stands before them. They flash before her, and at first, she is annoyed by his display. Her young eyes preferred the simple appearances instead of vibrant jewels and extensive shows of beauty.
"Hello, and welcome. I'm Sikeax, Sun Physican for the Dragon's Throat. How have your travels been?" The idea of traveling seems foreign to her, just as much as his colours are. Why would one want to leave their birthland? Helovia had been all that she ever knew, but through all of the issues the land brought, she had stuck with it in fear of homesickness.
Except, there was nothing out there for her to mess with.

OOC: Please tag me so I can get replies to this faster!

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Unregistered

@[Rostislav] and @[Sikeax]

The first creature to approach him has its head raised, strong looking thick legs and a deep bronzed coat, it blends in well with the dark and browns of the forest. He seemed so well suited that Antinanco is almost jealous, almost.

He calls this land Helovia, and Anti makes a note of remembering that - this was the odd place, the world that existed beyond pantheon and its magic, beyond the world that Antinanco had known. The words "Hidden Falls" meant nothing to the feathered stallion, although he is sure that Rostislav must be referring to his herd or kingdom or realm.

Ah, so this was a place to recruit then? For some reason Anti does not find that idea entirely unappealing.

"Hello, I am Antinanco," he says, and without the sweet chirp of Teetonka to prompt him, he thinks about what to say next. That is until there is the sound of more hooves, another voice - a woman's this time, belonging to a dusty cream creature, who slips forward from the tall trees.

Antinanco would have been shocked to find that his colours are odd to them, maybe even garish or inappropriate (for him such bright flashes of colours totally normal, in fact even little dull by ordinary standards), that his odd appearance would be alluring or off putting, depending on whose opinions it was.

"Antinanco," he introduces himself again, in case she missed it the first time, and then offers them both (the powerful looking Rostislav and tall, Sikeax with her bright mesmerizing horn) a smile. "They have been fairly uneventful, just long, and somewhat tiring." He replies, pauses, takes a breath, then asks his own questions, "I am sorry but, what is a sun physican? And Dragon's Throat and Hidden Falls, these are your homes, yes?"

A N T I N A N C O

I suppose I'm not surprised that we are soon joined by another. But for once, I do know my fellow Helovian. Sikeax of the Throat. She greets me, and I greet her in turn. "Sikeax." A bob of the crown. I'm not really sure why we do that.. head bobbing thing... but it seems to be a custom carried by so many. She greets the stallion and he repeats his name for her in case she had missed it. Antinanco. Though I'm sure that Sikeax would be the appropriate one to answer the stallion's questions, but I know the answer so I go ahead and reply. "A sun physician is the name of the Dragon's Throat healers. In the Falls, we call them earth menders. The names generally correspond with our patron Gods. I am a Legatus - a general - for the Falls." Oh my God, Rostislav is intelligent! He knows things! Knowing all the things he does. And so I continue. "The Falls and the Throat are both herds here in Helovia. There is also the Aurora Basin and the World's Edge. You most certainly are welcome at my home." I smile and go quiet, realizing that this has been a lot of talking, more than I'm normally comfortable with. So my lips stay together in a still line, providing an opportunity for Sikeax to speak her piece.

Of course, I hope that Antinanco will come home with me. I wonder what he purpose he would serve: a solider, crafter, spy? He might be too brightly colored to be a good spy, but hey, we're all about equal opportunity in the Falls. If he became a soldier within my ranks that would be ideal. I need more bodies, more minds to train up. The Falls is woefully unprepared for.. well.. anything. I make a note to myself that Oxy and I should discuss some sort of contingency plan for if or when the need arises to defend our borders and our people. Yeah, that might be good.

WC: 337
Tag: @[Antinanco] @[Sikeax]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

I never thought I'd die alone
I'm too depressed to go on
You'll miss me when I'm gone

Antinanco. It's something new and unique, but she's not startled by the idea of it. Adrixaura had provided her with something different as her mother must of done for her in the past, and the title had brought all sorts of reactions to it. Sia had been kinder on the mouth and eyes than a name that might belong to someone fierce and powerful.
Typically, questions are presented and long for answers. She thinks them over to assure that there is an intelligent enough response given, but Rostislav beats her to it, stepping into a lecture about her rank and their homes. The whole act was rude, but she twisted her lips into annoyance, drawing them tighter as she kept quiet. Snorting once, she does nothing to stop him rather than speaking her irration.
A smile paints the draft's lips and Sikeax isn't sure if she's insulted or not. Words had been stolen from her lips and he had been fast to control the conversation, yanking the rug from out beneath her feet without warning. Revenge would be nice, but it was best to drop the whole idea and remain proper while there was a newcomer before them.
She couldn't make herself stoup to low levels, or give the faintest idea that her family would do the same.
"What Rostislav said is correct. The Sun Physican is the lead healer for the Dragon's Throat, patron land of the Sun god. Both of our ranks are great honours within our families." A pause is given to let it sink in. Processing a large amount of information at a time could be stressful, and it was better on the mind of others to at least be polite.
"Both are our homes. While I don't know much as of the Falls on a personal basis and can't say much," a motion of the eye is fired towards Rostislav as to tell him it wasn't his place to 'steal her thunder', that explaining things involving one's family is best left for those in the family. "The Dragon's Throat is an extremely close knit herd. More of a family than a herd. It's on an island south of here, a desert with a large oasis in the center." 'Island' strikes a cord in her chest, reminded of the fears that she had previously held about the change of landscape. Now that the installment had occurred, the isolation wasn't as horrible as she thought it would be.
Her neighbor from the Falls is quick to offer a home, but while she would rather not throw herself at Antinanco, it only seemed fitting to mimick his actions. "I can offer you a home within the Throat as well. You'd be more than welcome within our family, but if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask."
The offer makes her feel selfish and desperate. Antinanco didn't have to come home with Rostislav or her; he could easily pass on through to the Wilds and make his own life. "If you don't want to join our herds, though, I'd be more than willing to take you anywhere you'd like to go or show you the other herds."

@[Antinanco] @[Rostislav]

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Unregistered

Antinanco is not unobservant, he does not miss the exchange that passes between them (the flash of recognition - these two know each other - and the annoyance that Sikeax shows when Rostislav answers Antinanco's question for her) although he chooses to ignore it, instead electing to focus on what he has been given vocally.

Patron gods, like the pantheon ones? Or were these gods different, how did they operate.

Rostislav also mentions the other two herd lands, followed by an invite to his home. Yes, Antinanco could have suspected as much, and although he gives Rostislav a smile, a small thanks for the information he has given, he does not respond right away.

Sikeax has her say as well, and describes the Dragon's Throat, Antinanco cannot say that he finds the idea of a desert very appealing, although the description of a close knit herd would be rather nice - for one who is a part of it. Sikeax offers him a home too, but she also offers something more, she offers to show him the other herds - it is a risk, maybe an offer made from kindness rather than gain - either way he finds himself lifting his head a little in interest and tilting his long ears.

"I would like to know more about this place, before making any decisions," he tells them at last, and turns to Rostislav once more "So Hidden Falls worships the god of...earth? And is obviously home to a water fall, what else can you tell me about it? About your god, and leaders?" he pauses, listens, and when poses the same questions to Sikeax, "The desert sounds hot to me," yes, Anti, obviously, "What does worshiping the Sun god entail? And what is your leader like?"

They are surprisingly intelligent questions for someone who has spent most of his life listening to the sweet whispers of a Yellow bellied sunbird. But without Teetonka to direct him, Antinanco has found that he is more than capable of stepping up to the mark.
A N T I N A N C O

Of course, Sikeax doesn't seem particularly pleased that I stole her thunder about her home. But I'm not very concerned about her...concern. I don't react to the glance she throws my way. I'm a little surprised, however, when she offers the stranger MORE than just a home, but a tour of everywhere as well? I huff quietly. I will not be inviting tours of all of Helovia. That would take forever, and there are other things that will need attending to before I am capable of that journey. Sikeax is either mad or quite desperate, but who am I to judge? Pft - I'll judge all I want, at least quietly to myself. I stare at her in mild disbelief, not bothering to speak up and match her offer. Antinanco can think what he wants of me but I don't extend such courtesies to complete strangers who offer me nothing in return. But when the fire and charcoal stallion speaks again, asking questions, I turn my head back toward him, considering his questions. This time, I will be more courteous toward Sikeax and let her answer for her own herd, since that seems to be the popular thing to do here. "Yes, the Earth is the Patron God of the Falls. He lends us his magic to those higher-ups in the herd. The crafters may work with stone. The warriors such as myself are granted earth magic for use in battle. We heal using herbs and muddy vines. We do have at least one very large waterfall, but there are others as well. There are many small lakes and trees within our borders, and many entrances." I consider whether there is more to tell of the landscape, but decide that this is the best summary of it all. "Our rulers are Midas the Gallant and Ghost the Cadaverous. Our community is small but open, welcoming, and friendly. There are many opportunities for personal growth within our ranks." Again I go quiet and I feel this conversation to be quite draining. I've never done so much talking with a potential recruit in my life! Nor much in any conversation, for that matter. Though I'm not the completely silent type, this chit chat is much more than I'm used to. When I look over at Sikeax, there's almost a pleading look in my eyes for her to speak. I wonder if Damaris can hear me from here... 'I need you, when I come back. There's all the talking, none the drinking.' There's naught but silence on the other end, but I think that I feel a shimmer of emotion on the other end of the line, and I hope that I will be back with her soon.

WC: 455
Tag: @[Sikeax] @[Antinanco]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

He listens intently to Rostislav talk of his home, there is a slight passion behind his words - and for a moment Antinanco is swayed by it, although no doubt Sikeax has the same sort of love for her Dragon's Throat.

Maybe a normal horse might have been content to nod, and dedicate himself to the Falls there and then, or to the Throat, choosing his or her home without a moments hesitation. But Antinanco has always been reserved, thoughtful, too thoughtful to make a rash decision such as this one, so he takes a step back after Rostislav and Sikeax is finished, lips pressed together.

If Teet were here he'd be hopping across Anti's back, demanding that the feathered stallion pick, he'd probably choose the Hidden Falls, if Anti knew anything of his bird-friend. But Teet was not here to sway his decision, so instead of agreeing to go visit one of the lands he simple says, "Thank you both for all this information," and gives them a lopsided smile.

"I think I want to go and have a look around Helovia before I make any choices, if that is okay. But I will remember the Falls and the Throat, when it comes time for me to pick a home."
A N T I N A N C O

[please note that antinanco only has two ears (one set) not four.

also note: sorry for skipping ahead! I want to be able to post Anti in some of the Wild lands and my muse is slowly dieing xD]