the Rift

New Beginnings, New Hopes

Hestia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
It seemed, like most days, that this day would be indifferent. The wind blew through her mane, strands of hair blocking her view of the vast forest. Hestia breathed a sigh, closing her eyes briefly. It was cloudy that day, the sun didn't shine and the wind blew freely. It felt great to have finally gotten to this place. Hestia had been running around for far too long, perhaps her new home would come soon.

With her head held high, she mustered herself to continue on, marching further into the forest. After months . . . no! Seasons of silence! She was finally searching for someone to call out to, to reach out to. Being alone wasn't always the best thing out there. Hestia missed the gentle touches and small talk she used to have with her mother. She was long gone now of course. Her mother was the only horse she spoke to. Not counting the short encounters with an outcast or two.

She often pondered about that. What was she? She had no one with her, she had no strength, she had no specialties to make any herd want her. So what was she? What did she have? Hestia shook her head and continue on, forgetting those thoughts. She refused to think of herself as an outcast. She might not like talking to others, but she didn't want to be completely alone either.

The trees above her, with their out stretching branches, looked over her. As if looking down at her. She shot a glance up, glaring at the sky and the branches hanging above. "Now don't look down at me like that!" She snapped, front legs hitting the ground, dirt flying in different directions. Hestia closed her eyes one more time, ears lowering slightly. "I'll figure it out. I'll find a home. I'll find myself a new beginning. After all, I still have more time to live."

Word count: 317

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera
A kiss with a fist is better than none

The shieldmaiden flew north again on quick wings. There had been a slew of visitors to the Throat: leaders on the Falls, the Edge, and the Basin, all had met with Gaucho and departed in quick succession. She had watched the bridge when not with her growing daughter, watchful of the comings and goings within her home, and had nursed a growing suspicion that there was strange activity brewing in the northern reaches of Helovia. Mordecai was growing, establishing her independence and with Gwaihir always on the watch, the warrior had begun resuming her duties as the speedy scout of the Dragon army.

Indeed, as Megaera skimmed across the tops of the trees in the threshold, she wondered at the lack of activity. There were usually members of the other herd milling about the area hoping to pick up newcomers that wandered in, but Meg’s sharp black eyes found no familiar shapes. Suddenly a voice broke the silence, snapping through the air from the ground not far ahead. Pulling her wings tight to her sided, the bay mare descended through the canopy sending a rustle through the green branches. She touched down not far from the lighter mare. Black wings flung out to slow her and hooves met the ground with an expert grace. The warrior had landed.

Regaining her posture, the bay turned and advances with an easy stride toward the stranger. “Greetings.” She called, trying to convey the easygoing confidence that came so naturally when at home but whit which she had always struggled with strangers. She was definitely getting better, in reining in the fire, but she fighter’s stance was always evident. She stopped at a respectful distance and dipped her head in greeting and resumed her survey of the new mare. A dappled purple thing, taller than Meg but definitely more feminine. “I am Megaera. You look as though you’re new to these lands.”

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Hestia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Startled by the sudden appearance of someone new, Hestia instinctively jumped in surprise, already wanting to run for it. The only thing that stopped her were the kind, almost warm words the stranger said to her.

She turned her head towards this new mare. She said her name was Magaera. Hestia did a quick evaluation of this mare. Magaera was smaller than her, but the brown colored pegasus carried herself far better than Hestia did. She seemed to surge with confidence, something that Hestia wished she could have.

"G-Greetings," she stuttered, blue eyes blinking. "Yes, I am." She plainly stated. Perhaps this horse could show her directions to where she could go, suggestions perhaps. Maybe she even knew a great place for her to settle in. With a deep breath, she mustered a smile. Flexing her wings, she pressed them closer towards her sides, as if to try to reassure herself.

"I take it that you're familiar to these lands," she said, pouring all her courage into her words.

She took a few steps towards the stranger, as if to try to look closer. To marvel at her. For a moment, she even forgot her manners, too curious to even introduce herself.

Shaking her head, she smiled sheepishly. "How foolish of me!" Hestia exclaimed, bowing her head in shame. "You clearly introduced yourself, so I just do the same. I am Hestia."

She was so curious to why would some mare like her be in a forest like this one. Hestia didn't stumble across anyone when she was residing in this forest. It seemed eerily empty really. The sight of someone finally being there just made her happy to know she wasn't alone.