the Rift

Write Thy Own Future

Ouroboros Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ouroboros

Holding its breath for the unknown, the air hung heavily on the world. The heat was oppressing and depressing as it clung to everything tangible. Ouro's once well groomed strands of hair were now haphazard chunks of electric blue. The ground seemed to drive hot stakes through his hooves with each laborious step; the heat was merciless. The sky was a brilliant, glowing streak of fire and seemed to dance in mockery of the beings below who were in misery.

Ouro scanned the landscape, but like usual, he recognized none of it. Something was different this time though. The air buzzed with an unknown electric excitement; it was the excitement of a foreign future and hidden past. Ouro hovered on the edge of reality and a dream. His mind conjured up childhood stories to fill the empty space of time as he wandered aimlessly.

The room was full of stars and abandonment. No one heard the silent cries of misery of the young beast. The tops of the trees were all aquiver as they gossiped about the strange beast, and countless sparrows were twittering in the eaves. The delicious breath of rain was in the air.

The beast lay with her head thrown to the heavens, quite motionless, except when a sob came up into her throat and shook her, as a child who has cried itself to sleep continues to sob in its dreams. She was young, with a fair, calm face, whose lines bespoke repression and even a certain strength, but now there was a dull stare in her eyes, whose gaze was fixed away off yonder. It was not a glance of reflection, but rather indicated a suspension of intelligent thought.

There was something coming to her and she was waiting for it, fearfully. What was it? She did not know; it was too subtle and elusive to name, but she felt it. It creeped out of the sky, reaching toward her through the sounds, the scents, the color that filled the air. Her chest rose and fell tumultuously. She was beginning to recognize this thing that was approaching to possess her, and she was striving to beat it back with her will. When she abandoned herself a little whispered word escaped her slightly parted lips. She said it over and over under the breath: "free, free, free!" The vacant stare and the look of terror that had followed it went from her eyes. They stayed keen and bright. Her pulses beat fast, and the coursing blood warmed and relaxed every inch of her body.

She did not stop to ask if it were or were not a monstrous joy that held her. A clear and exalted perception enabled her to dismiss the suggestion as trivial. She knew that she would weep again when she saw the kind, tender hands of death, but she saw beyond that bitter moment a long procession of years to come that would belong to her absolutely, and she opened and spread her arms out to them in welcome.

There would be no one to live for during those coming years; she would live for herself. There would be no powerful will bending hers in that blind persistence with which beings believe they have a right to impose a private will upon a fellow-creature. A kind intention or a cruel intention made the act seem no less a crime as she looked upon it in that brief moment of illumination.

"Free! Body and soul free!" she kept whispering.

Her mind was running riot along those days ahead of her. Spring days, and summer days, and all sorts of days that would be her own. She breathed a quick prayer that life might not be long. It was only yesterday she had thought, with a shudder, that life might be long. With a butterfly whisper of a breath, she breathed her last breath and welcomed the warm embrace of death as a lone tear fell down her soft cheek, and the heavens opened up to mourn the loss of a young life and fulfilling the delicious promise of rain.

It was a story Ouro had woven growing up. It was a reflection of a time that had him wishing for death. The young foals had been getting harsher, with their voices mocking like the trees and the sparrows in the story calling him a wimp. 'Stop acting like such a filly!' they would mock. Ouro shivered at the memories; lately, his stories had been taking a darker turn. He shook off the hauntingly reminiscent thoughts. He began to walk with purpose, ignoring the incessant heat. He didn't know where he was going, but it was time to write the future.

OOC: So sorry for the long post! I just was lacking words, then thought I would begin developing his character and practice his story telling skills and somewhere along there it turned into this. xD Oh and if it wasn't obvious, he starts in Helovia. I didn't really know how I wanted him to get there, so I kind of just started him there. Hope that's okay.

Coded by: silversummersong |Stock:PaulineMoss

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
I think at this point I'm beyond on a roll. Let's see whom all I have greeted... Misael, Antinanco, Renegade... and now I see another! I spy with my pale white eyes... yet another with ram horns, this one black as the night with electric blue-tinged hairs, and pale grey hooves. He walks with purpose through the forest, and I can't help but snicker under my breath. No, not at him, but at myself. I do have a purpose here, but I do not walk like it. I walk like the lazy-ass that I am. I am in no hurry and do not pretend to be. I move out from the shadows and begin to follow him. After a moment I clear my voice and stop behind him, waiting for him to turn toward me before I begin speaking. With a low, easy voice I introduce myself and begin the ritual. "G'day Comrade. Welcome to Helovia." A bow of my own horned crown toward his. "I am Rostislav, Legatus of the Hidden Falls. May I inquire as to your name?" Know your friends, know your enemies, know your strangers. Know everyone. It works out better that way. 'Play nice, be sincere.' Damaris's voice rings in my head. So she has left the herd land, perhaps to hunt, perhaps to see me. 'All of this recruiting wears you out, I want to be near you.' She says to my unasked question, having felt the surprise run through my body. Her answer does comfort me, and I relax a little, a smile gracing my face as I converse with the dark hued stag. 'Stay away for now beloved, I don't want to spook him. I shall find you when I'm done.' I feel her focus fade from me to some small, doomed creature, and realize she must be off hunting. I turn my focus back to him, feeling softened and more placable with my companion's nearness.

WC: 324
Tag: @[Ouroboros]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Unregistered

Ouroboros

The world was so much bearable with company. While the world was full of fools, they were all beautiful fools. Each had their own unique story, emotions, and desires. That's the most interesting part to learn, he muses—to learn one's wants and desires is everything.

His thoughts were cut off as a low, heavily accented voice broke the heavy silence. Ouro pivoted to match a voice with a face. An easy expression crossed his face while he was silently assessing the stallion. He stood at the same height as himself, but was about twice as muscular and more than a few scars covering his body. He was a smoky woodsy color with grey spots smattering his chest and belly. He had a lion's tail and striped tail, but the most striking characteristic were his silver eyes. He had a flask around his neck, but what it contained Ouro did not know.

Ouro noted his relaxed demeanor, and out of habit, he mimicked him.

"A pleasure to meet you Rostislav." Ouro rumbled smoothly. "I am Ouroboros" he said while returning the bow.

Ouro watched in curiosity as the stallion's face morphed to a gentler quality. He felt as if he missed something, yet no other being was around; he chose not to comment though.

"I have never heard of Helovia, but it seem rather warm." He commented dryly; he hated the heat. It wrecked havoc upon his perfect locks and left him feeling itchy and uncomfortable. "I'm afraid I also do not know what a Legatus is either." He said with a tinge of regret. He hated not knowing things. His mind was a bank of information, and not knowing made him irritable, but he was always happy and eager to learn the ins and outs of this strange new land.
WC: 307
Tag: @[Rostislav]

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

Gone were the rancorous tales and spins of the illustrious Songbird, and she spun her way through the heavens, the clouds, the moon and stars, wishing and praying and fervently playing her jovial whims for the world to hear. She skipped, a constant, merry lark, through the underbrush of valleys, amidst the overgrowth of thickets, pressing into wild, untamed minuets with Imogen, or racing against the tide when it shuffled and licked at her feet. The vibrancy of her mended heart bled into each effervescent stride, so as she swept and waltzed and turned into domiciles, through corridors and halls, the melodies followed her in a transfixing, alluring glow, awash and ebullient amidst every abomination filtering into the world. She gave no reason for her happiness or sheer delight, a cloak and dagger interlude trapped within the confines of gilded brigands and golden scoundrels and all her wayward wishes somehow coming into fruition – merely blossoming and blooming amidst petal soft florets and kisses of the sun. The sylph’s soul was a lance through heavy burdens, a persistent, beguiling march into the wreckage of the earth, foiling annihilation with a winsome smile and glorious aria, and if she could have circled the globe on her raptures and reveries, soothing patched maelstroms and healing wicked ire, she would have done so over and over again, never ceasing, never resting. But her caprices, her impulses, her sheer delight and energy carved another path for the day, racing against the summer wiles and the lingering vestiges, paying no heed to the sultry pockets of sunshine glimmering against her hide, turning shade into refuge and boughs into sanctuary, whistling against the chords of the unknown, crossing and meandering into the wayward hold of newcomers. Her radiant mood cast a wholesome glimmer upon furtive, clandestine paths, the juncture of her widening smile flung and sparked and simmered in the regaling sun, and she sauntered with her vixen companion into the wood with every conviction stored within her mind. Each twist, each turn, always left an enigmatic sway, and her gaze peeked through the delicate leaves or the turning needles, hoping to catch a stranger wandering, searching, rummaging for a home. A persevering individual, she always yearned for others to wander into the midst of the Basin, to stare in awe at the aurora clouds, at the dominating mountains, at the majestic beauty and wonder, at the danger and grandeur, and join them in the confines of its stronghold.

So when Lena and Imogen finally gazed upon another, coated in all sorts of conjectures, sable and cerulean, diamond expositions and regalia, she found one more quartered in their sanction. Not to be swindled away from courtesies, from introductions, she hastened an ear towards the sector, pressing lightly and elegantly along the timber-line, extending warm smiles and gracious bows to each individual, knowing neither, but managing to grasp a few notches of names, one Rostislav, the other Ouroboros. Her graceful finesse continued along the breeze, crooning a gentle, amiable singsong, the ivory kitsune chirping behind her, a welcoming unison. “Good day! I’m Lena of the Aurora Basin – my apologies, I overheard your callings.” She tipped her head once more, thinking she should feel abashed by the brief eavesdropping, but then not considering it thereafter. The motivations stoked in her mind failed to reel at the brief prying, couldn’t flounder her grand mood or harmonious joviality. “Perhaps I could assist? If you had any questions regarding Helovia?” Her calm, careful eyes watched, witnessed, narrowed in a sudden speculation, in the dry conviction Ouroboros had unleashed on his sentiments towards the season. “There’s a stream nearby, if you wish to cool off while we converse.” The femme tilted her head towards the other, Rostislav, horned and burly, and thought he too may benefit from the cooling depths of a wading brook. At least there’d be comfort amidst the circumstances.

Lena the Songbird

every color illuminates
image credits

The stallion is cool and collected, and turns to me with a surprising amount of grace and ease. I find so many that are pompous asses, and are rather aggressive even when we first meet. Ouroboros. A strange name, sort of difficult for my tongue to maneuver, but then my name is unusual to many native Helovians as well. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that I would come across a name that I struggle with. "Of course it is warm - Ouro, if I may? It is Tallsun. Depending on where you go in Helovia, it may get hotter with Orangemoon." I chuckle.

A female appears from the gloom, a stranger to me. But she is quick to introduce herself. Lena of the Basin? She seems nicer and more polite than the Basiners I am familiar with. I offer her a friendly smile and bob my head toward her. She speaks of a stream nearby and I think that it sounds quite nice, though I do not mind the heat quite as much as the newcomer. My heavy winter coat has shed and left me with something a little sleeker, less cumbersome. Orangemoon, however, might be a different story. Lucky for me that I don't live in the Throat, where the heat will be the worst.

I walk over toward the stream that she has nodded toward and bend to drink, soothing a thirst I didn't even realize I had. I raise my head again, drops of water falling from my lips, as I look back to see if Lena and Ouroboros have followed me. (Presuming that they have) I answer Ouro's second question. "A Legatus is the title for the highest general in the Falls. I share this title with another, named Oxy." Lena is open to helping answer questions that Ouro might have. "I, too, can answer questions, especially regarding the Falls."

WC: 315
Tag: @[Ouroboros] @[Lena]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

Ouroboros

Ouro nodded in acceptance of the nickname. His name was quite cumbersome for the tongue, but his parents had named him to represent infinite love; little did they know, it had a much darker meaning. Perhaps it contributed to his darker personality. Ouro was a strong believer that one's name defined personalities at least to an extent.

Ouro cringed at the thought of it getting much hotter, but the thought was cut short when a mare appeared from almost thin air. At first glance, she was rather plain besides the spiral black horn jutting from her head, but on further inspection she had a simple elegance about her that was captivating. She seemed to float as she greeted them with an unrivaled effervescence. She introduces herself as Lena from some place named the Basin. Ouro could only guess it was similar to Rostislav being from Hidden Falls.

A strange white four legged creature was with her; he'd never seen anything quite like it. It was covered in snowy white fur that looked as if silkworms spun it to create the perfect downy fluff. Blue framed the delicately pointed ears, but the most peculiar were the five tails that sprouted from the creature's body. Like the ears, they were blue tipped and were covered in the same silken fur.

Ouro's train of thought was broken though at the mention of water. He eagerly followed Rostislav to the stream Lena had mentioned. The water was cool to the touch as he dipped his muzzle in. Ouro loved water. It was always changing yet it was also always the same. While he was quenching his thirst, Ouro contemplated what he was going to ask these two.

"I've gathered that the Falls and the Basin seem to be regions within Helovia which I suppose would suggest two different herds. How many other different areas are in Helovia, and where are we now?" Ouro asked curiously. The land did seem beautiful and he was eager to explore—perhaps when it was a bit cooler though.

OOC: So sorry for the late reply! My phone was refusing to post this, so I had to went to wait to use the hotel's computer, but got distracted with the accent challenge then started manipping anywho I got it done eventually haha :3
Tags:@[Rostislav] @[Lena]

The party, amicable strangers, consented to her suggestion, soon basking in the midst of the calm, tranquil stream, offered and bestowed solace in the heat of Tallsun’s fringes. Eventually the season would pass into Orangemoon, and the cooling nuptials would begin all over again – but before she could wax poetical on the incoming season, her warm eyes flickered from the undergrowth, waterweeds, and flowing, babbling brook, to the newcomer. While Imogen danced along the edges of the water, batting at it occasionally with a front paw, the stranger prospered queries, a common sentiment among the wandering souls. It was to be expected, roaming from land to land without knowledge of their whereabouts, and when finally coming across individuals reigning from the strange tempest, one must snag the opportunity. Helovia was a constant surplus of mystery, enigmas, chaos, and daydreams, each one unwinding in impulsive, decadent enamel, and each time Lena thought she’d discovered an answer to a vicious riddle, another one reared its head; the Hydra, glowing in furtive exploits. She could, however, grant the beast all the serene things she did know, and the light aria danced and dabbled through her throat, carried along on the bright, intriguing figments of light and wind. “You would be correct,” and here a lovely smile bloomed, lined along her cheeks, gilded and effervescent all over again, “There are four herds entirely: the Hidden Falls, the Aurora Basin, The World’s Edge, and the Dragon’s Throat. There are also many more open lands stretching in all directions.” Her voice betrayed nothing of haunting measures, of long, dwindling histories, of new stories flanked and emboldened by the circle and cycle of leaderships, every sovereign had their own mythos, tales, and tribulations, and she’d been embedded in a fair amount of them, another individual lingering in the crowd. But the refined femme, with her grace, with her strength, with her tenacity, could only offer the deepest beauty, the most yearning wonder, of the world she knew, cherished, the best. “The Basin is towards the north, surrounded by mountain summits and peaks. We have quite a few caverns, plentiful valleys, hot springs, and a lake that never freezes.” Pride filtered and flickered through each word, the careful grin still lacquered along her gentle features. The Mender glowed, a tangible, visceral fairy essence, as she meant to deliver an answer to his second query. “You’re standing in the Threshold, where all newcomers wander.” She paused, hesitant on replying to everything and leaving the other, Rostislav, with naught to extend, but enveloped one last response. “Some decide to go towards a herd, and some decide to roam for a little longer.”

Lena the Songbird

every color illuminates
image credits

They do follow me, Ouro taking part in the relief of the stream as well. Ouro begins to pose questions for us, having slaked his thirst. They're simple enough: what are the other herds, where are we now? Simple enough, and Lena is the first to answer. I stand and listen to her easy explanations, watching the interaction. She names all of the herds, and goes on to detail the Basin, her home. Of course I understand why she does it, but I instantly feel put upon to tell Ouro why the Falls is infinitely better. 'They don't have racist unicorns there.. but then he's a unicorn too..' I bite back a sigh, realizing that perhaps my plight will be in vain. But then the fight isn't over til it's over.. or the fat lady sings... any of those expressions that we must all be so familiar with. Lena continues on, until finally trailing off. She's answered most of his questions, leaving me with little to say, but a last glance at me indicates that there's still a little I can do. "Well she's told you the short and long of it, but perhaps I can add a little more about the Falls. We have lots of woods, and water. Streams and pools and waterfalls, as the name suggests. We have cliffs, and the God of the Earth is our patron God." A sincere smile offered to them both and I go silent, awkward silence enveloping me like a big bubble. Jeez, Lena, you took center stage and left me in the wings. I drop my head slightly and try to think of something intelligent, enticing to say. "We certainly have room for newcomers in the Falls, in any capacity you wish. Midas and Ghost, our leaders, will welcome you with open arms, should you choose to come with me. I, for one, would be happy to have you." Again, a genuine smile, and silence falls again, but I feel more comfortable with it this time, more accepting. Have I done my part? I hope so. I hope that Lena doesn't steal this one away from me, but who can be certain? I do not have lady bits or the good looks, therefore aren't I automatically at a disadvantage?

WC: 379
Tag: @[Ouroboros] @[Lena]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

Ouroboros

Lena answered the simple questions as Ouro listened attentively. Puzzle pieces of lands make up the picture of Helovia, and Ouro was eager to learn about all of them. He had no interest in being a wanderer though, for he reveled in the companionship of others. A wanderer was forever a stranger to the world they live in—neither here nor there. While both landscapes sounded beautiful, as nature often is, the Falls had a certain appeal with its endless supply of water. Water—the reason for the living. It was an ever changing life source though with a bipolar attitude as the sweetest of waters could easily change to the sharpest shards of glass.

An uncomfortable silence had settled upon the group like a heavy fog as it weighed down the conversation and made the insufferable heat even more stifling. It was a noisy silence that had befallen upon them; the kind that hums with a nervous energy and fills the darkest crevices of the bodies. To wait too long in the silence will drive the strongest of minds insane.

The weight was lifted though as Rostislav continued his sales pitch before another silence fell, but this one was light and airy. Ouro was not quite ready to commit to either stallion nor mare yet though. Being a planner, he hated to make rash decisions. He always thought everything through from all angles and perspectives before deciding on anything. In the most desperate of times he could do this in a split second, for his mind was a whirlwind of analytic thoughts that created an organized chaos at all times. If the situation did not call for quick reactions though, he preferred to take his time. "I see a decision approaching my horizon which I am not yet ready to make. If you both could tell me a bit more about your homes, I would be grateful. Even little details that may seem frivolous on the outside could help me with my decision, for it's the details that add the refinement to the picture and separate the mediocre from the legendary."

Ouro realized his request for the details and not just the overarching ideas of their homes may frustrate the two equines, but Ouro thrived off details. They were the hidden harmonies of life that filled out the music and made it robust and magical to the ears. Ouro could only hope the two creatures would be patient enough to humor his request.

Tags: @[Rostislav], @[Lena]

The newcomer wanted, craved, and yearned for more, the finite specifics and the vivid, particular details; Lena was only happy and content to oblige. She could wax poetical upon her homeland at the drop of a leaf, at the turn of a feather, at the whisper of a breeze, and her mind churned at the possibilities, what to showcase, which area to represent. So, the Songbird committed to her best actions, one of arias, of strains, of ditties and fantasies, painting whimsical airs and fantastic, sublime tapestries, outcrops of the ice and snow. “The Aurora Basin is led by Lord Deimos and Lady Ophelia. Our patron God is the God of Spark and Time,” and here she could remember his sizzle of electricity, his nonchalant exterior, the brusque, reticent wiles of deities and their mortals. Thereafter, glimmering fancies flickered across her eyes, recalling bright, opulent hues, dancing streams and beams of light. “In the evening, you can see the aurora borealis. It’s a beautiful sight.” Therein, she continued diving throughout, trying to salvage any bit, any piece, any nuance of information or images he wished to know, conveying the sentiments of pride, of prowess, through each one of her mellifluous notes. “The hot springs are wonderful during Orangemoon and Frostfall, just what one needs in the chilly air.” Was there anything else? Her mind whirled, and little Imogen chirped by her limbs, regarding a sentiment about guardians! and Lena hastened back a fond smile for the kitsune. How could she forget? Her gaze swept back to Ouro, chasing down one more rampart for the storm. “We also have a pair of matching metal sentinels crafted by Ulrik, one of our engineers. They guard our borders from possible intruders.” She hesitated again, idly lingering in the creek, listening to the cool babble of the water, enjoying the respite from the overwhelming sun. “Please let me know if there’s anything else you wish to know.” The grin folded back along her lips, incandescent, effervescent, persistent and enduring, a whirlwind of benevolence and beneficence among dark corridors.

Lena the Songbird

every color illuminates
image credits