the Rift

[OPEN] Mercy Killing or, uh, Thrilling [Welcoming]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
THOR
If I’d managed to sway the desert flower with words alone, I was blissfully unaware. Instead, I was now intoxicated by the spoils of victory, however small they appeared outwardly. Though the Edge had called for a truce of sorts with the Basin, my own personal vendetta had yet to be satisfied and thus I was left feeling elated about my gains. Najya was a creature best suited for the Throat in many ways, right down to her birthright, but greed had become a close friend of mine and it too stemmed from selfish habits that I could not yet oust. There was something sickly sweet about placing the Edge upon a mantle for Ophelia and all of the Basin to see. One could argue that I’d succumbed to pride, but I felt it was more a symbol of our inherent power; while it was a dormant entity, it existed nonetheless.

It was easy for me to prove a gentleman in the face of opposition, but when the sun’s rays fell from my shoulders and I was one again a mortal amongst Gods, I felt bereft. The climax had been robbed of me, a particular rush of adrenaline that now fell short of my expectations. In order to calm my nerves after what felt like a silent power struggle, I listened to the creaking of the wood and the chirping of the birds overhead. They had returned at the beginning of Spring and had since taken up residence in the shaded corners of Helovia. Off in the distance, the faint sounds of the thicket made me believe that a forest dweller or two had surfaced from their hiding places in search of food or water. No matter where I turned my eyes or ears, the Threshold appeared to come alive. “Is peace the only reason you’ve decided to join the Edge?” I questioned reluctantly of my companion.

I had finally allowed myself to look at Najya, unabashed, while slowing marginally to allow her a place at my side. I studied the flash of gold hidden beneath her pale forelock and wondered if it ever bothered her to carry the medallions between her eyes. They shifted and clinked from time to time, drawing my eyes away from the mare’s hazel gaze. However, it served to remind me of my own talisman –a mahogany ruby given to me by the great Turtle- and how important it had become to me of late. I sought to have the jewel enchanted with magic, so perhaps I had good reason to treasure the useless bauble. So, maybe that meant that Najya’s golden ornaments held similar value… or maybe not; life was ultimately based on perception after all.

As the Threshold gave way to the Thistle Meadow and then the Edge just beyond, I was suddenly aware of how anxious I’d become. It was not Najya or Ophelia that had spurred this tension, but rather a far more delicate matter that went by the name of Sabine. I had left her in the Edge, with a nest made of pine needles and tall grasses, so that her tender presence would not distract me from task. However, as Najya and I grew closer to the borders of home, I began to sense Sabine and her newfound connection to me. It was not a pleasant feeling that awaited my return either, but a distressed call for attention and reassurance. Soon love, I tried, despite our immature bond. One day she would be able to hear my thoughts and then she would understand my undying love for her and her wellbeing. Until then, she would merely have to trust in my instincts and my desire to nurture the young Zephyr.

Though the heat of TallSun had managed to eradicate any moisture in the air in surrounding regions, the Edge was still cloaked in a fine mist that swirled and danced along her borders. I found great comfort in knowing that the sea and her oceanic jet streams kept the World’s Edge cool in the summer and warm in the winter. As I’d come to learn, land was more apt to heat quickly and cool quickly, while bodies of water were slow to heat and slow to cool. Perhaps that in itself was why I’d never thought to explore Helovia beyond the occasional stroll. I was content here, happy even. “Welcome home Najya,” I smiled casually. This wasn’t the first nor the last time I’d introduced a new face to the lovely graces of the World’s Edge, but she never failed to shock and amaze me… which meant her splendor was insurmountable for newcomers. Right?
Specter
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Najya]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
OH, THE DESERT DREAMS OF A RIVER THAT WILL RUN DOWN TO THE SEA

She felt a profound sense of relief at the very concept of having a place to call home once again. The decision was not one made lightly, but Najya was confident in her choice. She felt as if a great weight had been lifted from slender shoulders after the decision had been made. She could truly move into this new chapter of her life and was doing so without reservations.

The little mare allowed her gaze to wander as they walked. She did her best to commit the more worn paths to memory. This place was unlike any she had seen. Everything was unfamiliar from the plant life to the small creatures that lived here. He was kind enough to slow his pace somewhat, allowing her to walk at his side without breaking into a faster gait. She allowed herself a moment to survey her companion. She had failed to notice the scarring on his shoulders, but did nothing to draw attention to the fact that she had noticed. He carried a red gem around his neck, looking so much like a larger, more vibrant version than those that Shahan had once worn as ornaments.

When Thor spoke, Najya completely understood why he would ask such a question. “I would be lying to you if I told you it did not play a role in my decision, Thor. But it was not my only reason,” she began, knowing that this was only really scratching at the surface of her decision. She breathed out a little sigh and offered him a small smile before continuing.

“It would have been as easy as breathing to choose to go back to the desert,” she breathed. There was a note of sadness in her voice, but it was not because she longed for the desert. Longed for the past, perhaps, but didn’t feel the undeniable pull to return to the sand and the heat. “I spent my entire life living on the edge of a desert – one we often referred to as the spine of the dragon. Our people believed that the dunes were the very scales running down the dragon’s back, pushing up through the earth. It is all I have ever known. But I did not come so far simply to rebuild my old life in a new place. I promised to make a new life for myself,” she offered. Najya did not provide the details of what had happened to make her flee the desert, but the sentiment was certainly there. She carried both precious and terrible memories of her past life.

“I am not one who simply makes decisions because they are easy or expected. Quite the opposite, really. I seem to have been defined by making decisions that go against the grain, so to speak. It has served me well thus far,” she added, lightening the mood somewhat. Her impulsiveness and willingness to go where people were unwilling to go or try what people were unwilling to try had, quite literally, saved her life.

She tossed her head slightly, causing the golden disks to rattle and clink together. Najya had caught Thor’s gaze upon the ornament a few times, and offered him the best explanation she could, without getting into the details of the story. “It was a gift,” she said, simply, “From the individual who ensured I’d make it here safe.” She gently shifted the disks around on her head by raising and lowering her nose. The little mare had become quite attached to the ornament, more because of what it represented than anything.

The journey passed quickly, and soon the sea mist began to creep in from the shore. Najya could smell the salt from the sea hanging in the air – a foreign scent to her, but one that was unmistakable nonetheless. They must be close.

And then the world unfolded before her, wrapped in a hazy blanket, and it nearly stole the breath from her lungs.

“Oh…” she murmured – a little sound of awe escaping her lips. For so long she had created the image in her mind of what this place must look like, but reality far exceeded even her wildest daydreams. “It’s beautiful.” And for the first time in a long time, Najya found herself stunned into silence.

LIKE MY HEART LONGS FOR AN OCEAN TO WASH DOWN OVER ME
Lines By: x || Tags:
[OOC: Sorry I wrote you a novel!]

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
THOR
The journey to the World’s Edge was a long one, though most regions surrounding the Threshold proved to have similar disadvantages. However, it was only one reason among many that I often allotted a full day’s worth of travel when recruiting. Recruiting… It was such an impersonal expression that I had a hard time replacing, but to me, visiting the claiming grounds was much more than just ‘recruiting’. It was a concerted effort that brought to light the bigger picture, an image composed of faith and hope. It was the convergence of ideals and the compromising of trust; I did not know Najya and she did not know me. Yet, the desert blossom had thought enough of me to entrust me with her fate and I in turn thought enough of her to entrust her with my family. The conflict that existed between myself and the Basin was a dying light that faded too quickly into the shadows upon returning to the Edge. After all, I now had a new canvas to paint- one that was not my own.

It was on a whim that I’d pressed Najya about her intentions concerning the Edge and, in truth, I hadn’t expected much. This was the beginning of a new chapter in her life and I could recall how it felt making my first trip to the land by the sea… It had been nerve-wracking and exhilarating all at the same time; it remained a comforting memory, even now…

The heat of summer had darkened my flanks and loosened my joints as we travelled, so much so that when Najya sidled up alongside me, I was able to detect her body heat radiating against my skin. It was not unpleasant nor did I pay it much mind, but it was noticeable nonetheless. Somehow, it reasserted my former musings about her evident reliance on who I claimed to be. Najya certainly didn’t know of my past or that’d I’d been a selfish King foolish enough to abandon his people and somehow I appreciated that inferior idea, because it gave me a chance to rebuild the pieces of me that I’d lost.

However, perhaps old practices were hard to relinquish. Perhaps I was still too involved in the memory of my power and my concerns for the Edge. It wasn’t my place anymore, to question one’s intentions, but I did it all the same… Sometimes I liked to believe that I was simply a King with no crown. “I see,” I breathed quietly, still mulling over her admission as if it might change my mind about her. It wouldn’t of course, but it was her honesty that intrigued me… Najya had a genuine heart, or so it seemed. I had been right to proposition her to join my family- of that much I was certain. “You know, you are a wonderful orator. I suspect the Edge will find you to be just as delightful as I do…” I digressed absently. There was something whimsical about the way she related her tales, a certain splendor in which she referred to the past as if it were something to hold on to or completely erase. “Truly, I don’t care why you’ve chosen to join me Najya, just that you did. I know that new beginnings come at a price and are increasingly difficult at times, but my family –my brothers and sisters– they will mend you,” I concluded resolutely.

King or not, I was still a friend. I was a father and a lover, a confidante and shoulder upon which some cried… I spent my days looking after Sabine and worrying over Eva; it was time to remember my passion for healing, even it no longer involved salves and remedies. “I find those to be endearing qualities. I believe that is presumably the best way to live and I do hope that I can help you find the new start you’ve been looking for,” I responded compassionately.

When the mare noticed my fascination for her shiny baubles, I smiled discreetly as if my interests were a secretive thing. I nodded nonchalantly while fixing them again with a curious stare before abandoning them altogether. The Edge stood before us like a greedy child, demanding our eyes and our attention as we finally passed over the shattered glass. I was careful to lift my feet with precision in hopes that Najya would do the same. It wouldn’t help matters should her frog be split open by an errant shard. “Before I leave you to get settled, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss the kinds of things we do here in the Edge. I know you mentioned that you were once a storyteller –and there’s certainly room for your talents here– but I wasn’t sure if it was still something that motivated you…” I questioned. “A new beginning means something different to everyone. I guess the matter is up to you, but other positions are available, should you so desire. We host a wide variety of personalities here; there are healers, crafters, spies, warriors, and even –like you- storytellers. I believe that the standard title for your skill would be referred to as “Philosopher” and from what I know, if you come to proceed the current Seer, you will possess the ability to communicate with our Paton Goddess- the God of the Moon.

It was a great deal of information to relay in so short a time, but I had no doubt that Najya would be able to comprehend everything with striking ease. However, this was yet another big decision that would thusly impact her life and should she require more time, then by the Gods she would get it.
Specter
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Najya] - I like novels. xD I hope you do too.

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
OH, THE DESERT DREAMS OF A RIVER THAT WILL RUN DOWN TO THE SEA

Najya feels the weariness of the journey in her bones, but the adrenaline and excitement dulls the ache. She does not have to wander any longer, nor does she want to. Now she has a place that she can hopefully come to call home. The little mare is encouraged by what she hears – by what she sees – and by the promise of a future far brighter than the one she left behind in the shifting sands. Najya is careful to copy Thor’s motions over the shattered glass, mindful of the sharp shards. She lifts her feet carefully as her eyes wander over the glass, for she cannot help but wonder how it came to be here. However, it is best to be careful…calling for a healer would not be the best first impression.

The little mare takes comfort in his words that maybe finding a new home and a new family will not be such a great difficulty after all. The very fact that he refers to his herdmates as brothers and sisters – something so simple on the surface – is something that holds great significance to her. And if she could have, she would have blushed at his praise. “I know the healing will come in time. I just thank you for that opportunity. Truly. I honestly hope that I can find a new family here, and I am very pleased to have found a new friend in the process.” Perhaps it is overstepping or saying too much. But Najya is nothing if not honest. She offers him a smile before he continues, describing how life works here in the Edge.

“I think,” she begins, as her thoughts finally catch up to her words, “That I would very much like to be a storyteller – a philosopher – for that is truly where my heart and my passions lie. However, if the situation should ever arise where the healers would need assistance I would be more than happy to offer my services. I don’t have a vast knowledge – but I know some remedies of my mothers, and I am familiar with the art of healing in general. Would it be considered overstepping if I were to do such a thing?” She looks to Thor for guidance, knowing by now that the answers will soon follow.

The prospect of having a role in a larger herd once more is comforting and gives her weary soul peace. For too long has she wandered, and for far too long before that did she feel like she was put on a pedestal that she was vastly undeserving of. Such routine and normalcy would be a nice trade after the past troubled months (and preceding year) of her young life. No longer did the burdens of an underserved crown rest upon her shoulders. She had no family here – she had no family left. She only had herself; her flesh; her bones; her spirit. And she would not be broken. She would be reborn in this new world in this new place and find herself again.

LIKE MY HEART LONGS FOR AN OCEAN TO WASH DOWN OVER ME
Lines By: x || Tags: @[Thor]
[OOC: UGH THIS TOOK FOREVER. sorry D: work week from hell killed me. but i'm alive even though this is poopy. :( ]

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base