the Rift

[PRIVATE] i have so much to say but you're so far away

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Just the beating of hearts, like two drums in the grey.

Archibald the Dauntless

& Loretta the Fierce

Archibald stood dangerously close. The heat radiated towards him, grasping for his dark coat with its alluring fingers. Before him stood a tree, large and unusual. The tree was composed of the blue lava that surrounded the veins. The blue and black roots tangled down into the earth and spilled into the pools of magma. Each branch was adorned with magma leaves, shimmering a brilliantly painted blue. The tree was ever in motion, the bark churning like the pools the roots spilled into. There were three trees, but the one before him was representative of Circe. He just knew it was her tree. He her presence as he stood before it, watching the beauty and danger mix together with his molten gold eyes. Like her. His chest tightened as a dark hand grasped his heart, puncturing the blackened muscle with knives and daggers. Loretta whined in the distance, having stayed behind. It was much too warm for her arctic coat to handle, surrounded by the magma and churning lava. Juxtaposed, this was a time of silence and privacy for the stallion. This was a grave site, or as close to one there could be with the destruction of the Sky Island, and Archibald was here to mourn.

Ktulu was off with Ophelia in the north, and Lakota and Apollo were scarce. His children were in the safety of the Dragon's Throat--tucked away from the Moon Godess' claws. His twin's residence was unknown, but Archibald had not seen Vincent since the ark of the Earth God. He was alone to mourn the loss of his wife. Here he was, with a solemn expression gripping his face, turning it from its stoic, hand-cut stone to soft clay. Emotions throbbed within his body, each pushing against the surface and trying to escape from each of his pours. One dominated the rest, and it was sorrow. Sorrow washed over his muscled and scarred hide like the ocean tide against the rocks of his kingdom's cliffs. It overwhlemed the other emotions and swallowed them into its depths, growing until it devoured everything the Dauntless felt. "Oh, Circe..."

art by shady

@[Ranjiri]

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri</style>
in this world full of people there's one killing me
and if we only die once i wanna die with you
</style>

I don't know why I was there at the Veins again when I found the place to be something out of a nightmare. The shrines, broken and dilapidated, had once seemed so out of place but now they seemed to fit perfectly as a representation of my lack of faith and trust in the gods. I had stood for the longest time staring at the Moon Goddess' shrine, willing myself to understand the purpose behind her actions and her reasoning. I think I could have stood there until my flesh fell away from my bones and I still would not have understood why. The only thing I truly understood was that she had brought a great deal of pain into my life and the lives of others. She had used Gaucho, bloodied his hooves, and I wondered if there was a part of her that even cared about what she had done.

I sighed and looked away from her shrine and toward the Eart God's, wondering if he felt the same amount of pain that my mother had to be feeling. He had lost his son because of his sister. I couldn't wrap my mind about how heartless it was on her part to murder her brother's son. Shouldn't she have felt some kind of urge to protect him since he was her flesh and blood? In the end I think I could have wondered and questioned forever and been no closer to any kind of understanding. I sighed again and turned away from the shrines and, rather than fly away, I made my way down the path that I had walked with Gaucho on the day that I had forgiven him.

As I walked I was lost in my own world, but it was interrupted when I heard his voice. It may have been years since the last time I'd heard or even seen him, but Archibald's deep voice wasn't one that was easily forgotten. I continued forward until I saw him standing near a strangely beautiful tree. "...Mister Archibald?"

"."

Image Credits

aud pixel!

Archibald the Dauntless

& Loretta the Fierce

The Dauntless was lost in own thoughts as he stood before the tree. The heat wrapped up his solid, strong limbs, but it did not make him feel uncomfortable. There was a strange comfort in it, actually, that reminded him on Circe's embrace. It had always been warm and loving, welcoming and yet challenging. Just as the heat that surrounded him from the locking, churning, boiling blue lava. The Dauntless wanted to press his forehead into the churning bark, but was wise enough not to do so, and instead just stood in the tree's presence with his eyes pressed closed.

"...Mister Archibald?"

the Dauntless lifted his head and his ears turned toward the sound. Brows knit together as he turned to face the smaller girl. Confusion wrapped around his mind for a moment as it tried to pinpoint to face and familiarity with rapid fire precision. His tail flicked against his hocks and his ears twitched. Archibald knew this girl before him, this young master of the wind and sword mixed together with elegance and strength, but he did not know her. "Yes?" He asked, golden eyes tracing over her slight frame. She was covered in gold, crimson and black, and as the word left his lips realization hit him like a freight train. "Ranjiri." He breathed, taking a step toward the hybrid filly--or, rather, young mare.

He remembered the girl dancing on the bluffs of the Foothills when she was but a youngling, suckling at her mother's side. A need so familiar, a desire so overwhelming suddenly grasped Archibald's body. He felt it towards his own sons, his daughter, and now this girl before him that he thought to be gone (not dead, but gone). It was the need to protect and provide.

art by shady

@[Ranjiri]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I waited for him to turn to face me and as I waited I wondered if he would recognize me. Would he be happy to see me? Or would he be upset that I interrupted whatever it was he was doing? It didn't cross my mind that he was mourning, I was too surprised to see someone familiar standing there. I looked at the tree, wondering how it had gotten there because I had not noticed it on my patrol with Rhoa. I admit that if I had stuck around longer after Hototo's death I would know what significance the trees had held. I would have figured out that this tree was important to Mister Archibald because it belonged to someone he had loved, but I was completely unaware. I did have the good sense not to ask right away.

A small smile curved my mouth upward when he spoke my name. "You remember me." I was unable to hide that I was pleased that someone remembered me. I didn't think that I was anything memorable because I hadn't done anything worth being remembered for. My feathers rustled as my wings shifted to a more comfortable position against my sides and my eyes moved from Mister Archibald to the tree. "It is a beautiful tree." I murmured because I was at a loss for words. I had not gone out actively seeking conversation, I'd only come to stare at the shrines and will myself to understand past events.

I looked back to Mister Archibald and I could see that something was not quite right. I didn't know him very well because I had been so young when we both lived in the Foothills, but ... I just felt that something was off. I guess you could call it intuition that lead me to asking my next question. "Are you okay?"

"."

Image Credits

aud pixel!

Archibald the Dauntless

& Loretta the Fierce

There was nothing about this little girl that was memorable in her actions, that was true. She was but a babe when they resided in the same kingdom, but from who she was born made her memorable. Ktulu held charge of part of Archibald's heart. Together they had bled and struggled and fought. Together they had seen triumph and victory. Together they had known the taste of struggle and strife. For some time they were separated only to be united once more. They stood now, partners of arms, a force to be reckoned with. Ranjiri was a part of Ktulu, as her child, despite any resentment that may be present. Archibald knew children to have a mind to seek their own identities, but no matter what they tried they were always the blood of another. Archibald the Dauntless would always be the son of Mandrake. Reginald and Abraham would always be the sons of Archibald. Macaria would always be the daughter of Archibald. Ranjiri would always be the daughter of Ktulu. His massive head gave her a simple nod, eyes softened as he looked down upon her.

"This tree is what stands now as a vigil to a soul, lost into darkness." Archibald motioned toward the tree, turning his body so he was no longer facing the golden girl, but looking head on to the tree. It's beauty reached skyward and the blue danced elegantly on its surface. "It represents Circe, a fallen warrior of the Grey and my love." Archibald's voice was cold as he spoke, detached. The sorrow and agony he felt could no longer manifest itself in any way but cold apathy. He had cried too many tears, choked on emotions he never thought to even exist in his body, and screamed far too long into the darkness of the night sky. Out of the corner of his eye, Archibald watched the girl. She had to be suffering, too. Ktulu had lost a son just as Archibald had lost a mate. This meant that Ranjiri had lost her brother. Archibald understood that pain, too. "Are you okay, child?"

art by shady

@[Ranjiri]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I wondered what the significance of that particular tree was and it was almost as if Mister Archibald read my mind and heard my question. He turned from me and as he did I looked at the tree, my ears tilted forward to listen to every word he spoke. My heart sank when he spoke Circe's name, not because I knew her, but because I could understand Mister Archibald's pain. Loss was loss, it did not matter if it was a lover, a child, a sibling, or a parent. Grief was grief, it tore at your heart, shredded you from the inside out and left you with wounds that were not so easily healed. It was a tricky thing, letting you believe that you were okay at times but then the wind blows and you shatter into a million different pieces, carried in a million different directions, making it impossible to put yourself back together and make yourself whole again.

"I'm sorry." I murmured. "I didn't realize..." What would I have done if I had known? Left him alone? Not asked if he was okay? Just smiled and walked by, oblivious to the grief that had sunk its claws deep into his heart? He could pretend all he wanted that he was okay, but the cold tone of his voice spoke volumes of his hurt. I wanted to make it okay even if I didn't know him well. I wanted to take away his hurt and everyone else's but then what would I do?

"Are you okay, child?"

My gaze had fallen from the tree to the ground and a frown had pulled the corners of my mouth down. I hesitated in answering his question, wondering if I should lie and say I was okay so I wouldn't burden him with my own grief, or if I should tell the truth. "I..." I hesitated again then lifted my shoulders in a manner that resembled a shrug. "I'm doing as well as can be expected, I suppose." I had my moments, when I was alone, that I would cry for my loss, but I tried to be strong for Cera and Ryuu so I could shoulder their burdens as a mother and a sister. "... how's Momma?"

"."

Image Credits

aud pixel!

Archibald the Dauntless

& Loretta the Fierce

The girl gave her condolences, and Archibald could only nod. He had no words to offer her of thank you's, don't worry about it, or it's okay's. He was hurting, deep in his soul, and she knew that. Even in her young age she held wisdom beyond her years, something Ophelia had said Abraham possessed, and a flicker of pride jumped like a candle in his heart. Looking from the tree to the girl, Archibald listened as she spoke. In his mind, he saw Loretta pacing. She pulled to him from their bond, agitated that she was being forced to stay in the heat for so long. The Dauntless transmitted the images of the hybrid girl. The bitch grumbled and turned her heels, heading towards the cool, comfortable atmosphere of the World's Edge without her master. Archibald's jaw set with a touch of anger towards the dog, but he loosened it quickly. He did not want the youngling to think his anger was for her. It was not. She had done nothing, she was innocent.

She was hurting, too.

Although, she passed it off quickly. Her torch of sorrow was snuffed out and dismissed with not even a shake of her head or a drop in her voice. Archibald's brows knit and his face moved into a pained grimace. "It will devour you if kept locked away." It was a warning to the girl, a simple plea of a man who had walked years of life before her. Do not let it consume you. Do not become me. When Ranjiri referenced Ktulu in her question, Archibald looked away from her once more. He turned his body away from the tree and started moving away from the veins, away from the shrines. He bobbed his head and slung his shoulder forward. Follow me, walk with me he gestured, tail flicking against his strong hocks. "Your mother is with your aunt in the Aurora Basin. Ophelia is the Lady there, and together they are mourning. The bond between twins is something deep and not understood by non-twins." Archibald spoke of the bond between twins that was formed by being wombmates. He wondered if Ranjiri would be upset that Ktulu had gone to her sister and not to her child--but did Ktulu even know where Ranjiri was? Had it been the Constrictor's choice to keep her heart closed from her daughter, or a crime on innocence that would be able to be mended with time? There was not an ounce in the filly's voice that gave way to a resentment or anger towards her crimson mother, but Archibald assumed it nonetheless. "Do you have anyone else?"

art by shady

@[Ranjiri]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

"It will devour you if kept locked away."

I knew. I may have been young, but I knew what guilt could do to someone. I'd experienced the way guilt had consumed my life after I'd been so ugly and horrible to Cera. I couldn't do anything without thinking about how much I missed being able to talk to him and wondering if he hated me. I knew how my own sorrow at Hototo's loss constantly ate at me but I had a hard time allowing my own sorrow to surface when I was face to face with someone else who experienced that same sorrow and loss. I didn't want to burden anyone else who was already sad with my own feelings and I knew that Mister Archibald was sad. Now that I knew that he had lost I could see it in his face, in the way he carried himself, in the sound of his voice. Why would I want to add to his misery to lessen my own?

I thought that I had done something wrong when he turned and started to move away from the tree. I even opened my mouth to ask him, but my voice caught in my throat. Seconds later he was motioning for me to walk with him, so I did. As we walked he told me that my moether was in the Basin with Auntie Ophelia and I made a mental not to pay her a visit and thank her for taking care of my Momma. "Are you a twin, Mister Archibald?" I asked when he spoke of my Momma and Auntie's bond. Judging from the way he spoke it was something I would never be able to understand.

"Do you have anyone else?"

The only sound for several long moments was our hooves hitting the ground and the occasional rustle of my feathers. Did I have anyone? As I pondered over the question three faces imediately came to the forefront of my mind. Cera, Gaucho, and Ryuu. What would Mister Archibald think if I said that I had Gaucho when Gaucho was the one who had physically commited the murders? Mentally, I think, he was just as distraught as any of us when the truth came to light and I could not hold it against him. He had been used.

"Yes." I finally answered, my voice confident. "I have my brother, Cera. My son, Ryuu. And my Sultan, Gaucho."

"."
@[Archibald]

Image Credits

aud pixel!

Archibald the Dauntless

& Loretta the Fierce

Archibald moved carefully, slowly, his walk controlled and careful. He kept his ears on the girl as she moved with him, talking with him. His eyes, however, scanned the land before them. He planned to walk to a cooler, more comfortable place. It seemed that a great deal had happened in Ranjiri's life, and Archibald was curious to know about it. If this filly was anyone else the Dauntless suspected he would care less for her life, but she was Ktulu's daughter. He felt this girl close to his heart, one of his family. He would not release her so easily in the years to come. Flies bugged at Archibald's flanks and he swatted them off with his thick, plumed tail. Ranjiri asked her simple question, and Archibald frowned. It was a curious thing, but around this young hybrid the King did not veil his face to stone like he did with such normalcy in all other interactions. "I am a twin, indeed." Archibald started, voice low and calm. "My twin brother's name is Vincent. Unlike Ktulu and Ophelia, Vincent and I are identical in looks. The only difference between us is disposition, and it damn near makes us look completely different, we've been told."

Archibald's heart sputtered and panged as he spoke of Vincent. He had not seen the massive sibling in quite some time, and Archibald desired more than most things in his life for the equally as large stallion to rest easily at his side. He had not known any different until he came to Helovia--but, to Archibald's realization, he spent more of life away from Vincent than with him now at this age. It had been nearly five years since the twins stood inseparably. It was a blow to Archibald. He was meant to protect his brother, to guide him, to make life easier on the skittish brute. Archibald sighed, however, shaking the thoughts from his head as the filly continued their conversation.

Archibald had inquired if she had support, and what the filly gave him in response made an odd comfort rest in his belly. Her brother, Cera, was one that she listed. Archibald's eyes flickered to her with a silent question. Perhaps the boy she mentioned was Midas' son, for Archibald knew Cera did not come from Ktulu's womb. Surprise, however, widened Archibald's eyes. "You have a son? You're but a child." The statement was not meant to damn her or offend her, but it was merely a spittle of Archibald's thoughts. Her next supporter surprised the Dauntless as well, but he gave no quip. What would Ktulu think of such a stallion--the one who had been used to kill her son--being so close to her daughter?

art by shady

@[Ranjiri]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I glanced to Mister Archibald's face as he spoke of his brother and I saw the frown that had situated itself firmly there. Since I saw the frown I was able to pick up on the tone of his voice and know that it was painful for him to talk about his twin. It made me wonder if his twin had passed away or if he was just distant and no long a part of his life like he might have been before. I know how lonely I felt when Cera and I were fighting, but Cera was not my twin and Mister Archibald said that a twin's bond was different from a normal sibling bond. I could only imagine how alone he must have felt not having his twin with him.

"You have a son? You're but a child."

"I do..." I was not surprised by Mister Archibald questioning about Ryuu, nor was I offended. I knew I was young and I was even younger when I found Ryuu abandoned and took him in as my own. I was clueless as to what it took to be a mother but I had tried my best to raise him and to keep him safe and I'd been able to do that. Ryuu was my greatest accomplishment and I wasn't even his real mother. "But I am not his real mother. I found him abandoned at the beach, crying, shivering, and in pain. I couldn't leave him there so I took him with me and I raised him on my own." I wished more than ever that Ryuu was actually mine, but that was something that I could not change. "I don't have any children that actually share my blood." I clarified. "I've never uhm ... y'know." I don't know why I said it and my face burned hot as I thought of the stupid thing I had just said.

"."
@[Archibald]

Image Credits

Image Credits

aud pixel!