the Rift

A friend in high places (Tamira)(CLOSED)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

"This Dragon's Throat that you speak of sounds like an interesting place. I would be much obliged to accept your invitation."

He had smiled in response and then fallen silent, allowing the pair to return to munching on grass. Midas nibbled around until Tamira raised her skull, seemingly full for the moment. Muscles along his shoulders flexed, he stepped out with head turned toward a distant desert. “This way,” he said, limbs pacing forward with equine ease. Neck curved at an angle, ears remained erect to test unfamiliar sounds. Every so often he would mention a notable river or permanent landmark that she could later use to orient herself if ever caught alone.

She seemed like a lovely creature, he already predicted becoming easy friends. “Has your visit to this land been thus far pleasant?” It was a harmless question, meant to spark conversation while they walked. Soon enough their forest thinned and widened to the point of breakage. Moist earth turned to a sandy mix that crunched beneath unforgiving hooves.

The sun was falling by now, a cooling breeze giving quick relief to warmed bodies, “Here we are,” a bright patch of clear emerald shone in the distance, “Beyond the oasis is the ocean.” Hints of salt lingered in the air, a taste he had grown used to over the years. It had been forever since he had last taken time to visit the ocean.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Tamira Posts: 60
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
RayoDeSoleil

A home at last?

Tamira genuinely appreciated Midas' directions as the traveled. The landmarks that the painted steed pointed out would surely help her in her future endeavors. The chocolate femme liked to know the lands of which she was apart, and had every intention to explore once settled. She hung to his every word, drinking in the knowledge that her companion had to offer. A question followed a lull in conversation. "Has your visit to this land been thus far pleasant?" How kind of him, to ask her of her travels. She smiled, her gaze shifting to look at him for a moment before once more taking in her surroundings.

Yes, a home at last.

"Well, I have only just arrived, after all, but yes, I suppose it has been pleasant thus far." Her tone was teasing bordering on flirtatious. A small laugh, the sound of an excellent mood, and then a real answer. "I have traveled quite some distance in search of a home. None of the lands I have visited have drawn me to them such as this one has." The air seemed to grow warmer as the pair trotted their way towards the desert. It was dry, though not entirely unpleasant. Heat was not abnormal for Tamira, though the heat she was used to was generally accompanied by moisture in the air. It was the kind of heat that clung to the body, that drained the energy. This heat was easier to deal with, and easier to travel in.

A beautiful land this is.

The view was clear as the ground turned to sand beneath her hooves, and the mare could see for miles - or so it seemed. Though new to the desert, she had heard tell of the tricks eyes could play in the heat-striken dunes. It was becoming evening, and as the bright orb of day lowered itself, a cool breeze drifted over the duo. In the distance, the oasis became visible - an emerald gem in a sea of dust. Sure enough, Midas spoke, "Here we are. Beyond the oasis is the ocean." At this, Tamira grinned happily. She loved the ocean, and had spent much time on coastlines in her recent travels. She pranced in place, arching her neck, excitement momentarily getting the best of her. Remembering herself, Tamira looked sheepishly at Midas, a bit embarrassed by her lack of control. "I spent many days along the coast as I traveled. I have found that I am quite partial to the ocean," she explained. "Do you visit the shore often?"

A beautiful land indeed.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
He hadn’t figured that his chocolate friend had been in Helovia for long, it was a plus that she didn’t seem to mind in amusing his question; it left him idle to listen and nod politely whilst she verbalized a proper response. In that moment silence fell; her words left him to wonder inwardly upon an unknown past.

Though, he didn’t think on it long, mainly because things of such a private nature weren’t in his territory to tread on. He could barely keep up with his own private sob story, much less waste concern for the unspoken past of another’s. As they drew closer, Midas felt happy to be nearing home; yet, he also found heart weighted with the return of pressing problems of the coming war and such.

Determined to maintain a pleasant expression he turned tawny orbs back to her with a small smile still lacing muzzle, ears perked in mock surprise as she danced forward on limber legs. He thought tenderly, “My, my, such an open fawn, to express happiness so freely.” Her body flowing and hair catching a passing breeze to balance perfectly, amused he chuckled deeply as she turned to regard him with an innocent expression sliding across lightened features, "I spent many days along the coast as I traveled. I have found that I am quite partial to the ocean.”

Ah, a women born from his own heart. He had often played along the salty waters as a child and in early youth. But those days had long since passed, especially since…. Midas stiffened, being forced to revisit his previous thinking when she questioned, "Do you visit the shore often?" Drifting closer to her with pacing steps, he arched muzzle outward and blew hot air along her shoulder, “Nay friend,” glancing toward the horizon of solid green he added, “This herd keeps one busy, but I would like to go more often.”

Liar, his mind voiced, but Midas ignored the wayward thoughts of a hidden beast and instead he just kept smiling all the while steeping with charm, skull motioned toward the vibrancy of his home, “Has your heart decided upon this land as a permit home?” He hoped that a change of subject wasn’t too obvious, but also figured she wouldn’t care either way.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Did I say something wrong?

The chocolate fae hadn't missed the stiffening of the painted stallion; but then it wasn't her place to ask him was caused his sudden discomfort. Her mind abuzz with fearful thoughts - if she'd said something, if she'd offended him, if he'd decided he didn't want her to stay - it was a chilling moment for Tamira, one that she tried valiantly not to portray on her delicate features. But then he stepped closer to her, and his breath on her shoulder warmed her considerably. She turned her warm gaze on him, orbs soft. She didn't remember if she'd ever been shown such kindness. It was a revelation.

Thoughts can run away with you.

"This herd keeps one busy, but I would like to go more often." She wanted to invite him to visit the beach with her, but something made her hold her tongue. She wasn't sure what it was, exactly - she had not idea of his mental turmoil - but when she had mentioned the beach, had become excited to visit it, he had seemed to become a little closed off. She sensed this was not a subject which he would wish to pursue, and in the time it took her to process this sense, he had changed the subject. "Has your heart decided upon this land as a permit home?" A smile crossed her maw, happiness emanating from her entire body. Perhaps she would get to know Midas and his thoughts on the ocean more intimately later, but for now it was enough that he wanted her to stay.

A permanent home...

And yet still, she was hesitant. What would happen when the herd learned of her affliction? What would happen when she blacked out again? And it was a certain thing; there were no ifs about it. She hadn't been able to escape it yet, and would likely never be able to do so. A slight sadness settled in her mind; her mixed emotions threatened to overcome her. The fae tried to decide the best way to voice her opinion without giving away too much; she would have told Midas if he had asked, if he had known what to ask. But he hadn't, and she wouldn't. Why jeopardize a perfectly good friendship? She was finding that she enjoyed his company, and she wouldn't want to run him off. "My heart would like nothing more," Tamira finally replied, her vocals soft.

Please let this be my permanent home.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
He got the privilege to watch open emotions travel across her face, each lifted vein of worry or furrowed brow led him to believe she was thinking upon his words. He glanced away politely. For the halfbeat of a moment he couldn’t help but hope that this sweet, chocolate mare decided to stay. The nature of his being was perhaps his single most defeating fault; he deeply cared about the well being of others, as if they were of blood relation.

Plus, she seemed like a woman with a story, as they all did. But something about her was different—perhaps in a good way, perhaps not. There really was only one way to find out. He knew that each had their own demon to deal with; his just happened to reside differently.

"My heart would like nothing more," she final responded with softened tones perking his auds ever forward. A breath he didn’t realize he had been holding released itself, a rewarding smile following to announce his pleasure at her choice, “Very well, let us venture forward and you can tell me of your desires for a job within this herd,” forelimbs flexed out and took steps toward the lovely contours of their home. Orbs silently glanced out of their side pockets to swiftly cover her frame with memorizing intention.

From what could be gathered on the outside he noted, that she was well placed, and large enough to pose threat as a solder. Though her kind nature struck out to him and caused question to rise, “I would guess,” neck half twisted while they walked with skull following suit, “You are of a Healing line?”

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Home sweet home.

The choice was rewarded with a pleased smile, and the fae lowered her gaze shyly, allowing her long lashes to cover her orbs. Warmth blossomed in her chest, spreading through her veins like fire. Never before had she felt so welcomed. She hesitated briefly, eyes flicking to Midas' face before she stretched her nape towards the painted stallion, allowed her muzzle to briefly, lightly touch his shoulder, a touch of gratitude. Then her cranium quickly snaked back to its place in front of her bodice. "Very well, let us venture forward and you can tell me of your desires for a job within this herd," Midas said, his golden eyes sweeping over her. Tamira tilted her head slightly. She had never really had to consider a job, as she had been wandering for years. What would she show an aptitude for? Would it even be wise for her to take a position in a herd with her condition?

How would I even help?

Memories of her mother flooded her mind. A kind-hearted fae, much like Tamira herself, Deana had been a healer in their herd. Perhaps not a healer in every sense of the word, as she had primarily served as a midwife in particularly difficult births. She had cared for pregnant mares as though their babe was her own, and after the younglings were born, she had looked after them, too. But in their herd, she was considered a healer nonetheless. In Tamira's travels, she had come across true healers, with magic to help them work. In the back of her mind, the femme had wondered what it would be like to possess such a power, to be of such use to others. Now she revisited this notion, even as Midas continued speaking. "I would guess you are of a Healing line?" The chocolate mare turned her own head, squarely meeting his gaze, surprise evident in her eyes.

Am I that easy to read?

"My mother was a healer, though not a very good one, I've found," she told him, "although I believe you're referring to my nature rather than my bloodline." This last part was spoken with a smile. How simple it seemed for him to read her. "I've never had a reason to give much thought to my place in a herd before," she admitted softly. "But yes, your guess would be correct. I would much rather give life and help to my family than anything else." A frown crossed her maw briefly as she thought, and then spoke: "But I haven't any healing magic or even experience. I only ever watched my mother, and even that was only for a short time. How would I be able to do such a job without any knowledge of the craft?" Would this mean she would have to choose a different occupation?

I just want to help.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Her hot breath along his shoulder sent a warm wave across each spinal disk; her gratitude was felt and respected, a soft nickering vibrated his vocals to further reassure her. Tamira was now just as much a part of his world, as any other member. He hoped that she would learn to love this terrain. The dips and gullies had a hidden appeal, and the oasis was a lovely break from a constant washing of heat in summer. Winter brought cooler weather, but not with the harshness of ice and snow.

She spoke, answering his first outward assessment of the woman that she was. Parentage had much to do with a child’s future. He took pleasure in following in the hoof marks of his dam and sir, each had been a respectable warrior. Athletics and battle training were presented after he turned from a youthful age and was fully weaned from mother’s milk. Midas had never questioned his future, mother and father had always encouraged his strength; so that was what he developed—and eventually became.

Underneath the warrior exterior, he was a spiritual lad; a genuinely kind soul. It is likely that things might have been different, if he had been birthed to a contrasting set of parents. Even so, the painted boy would never come to the point of regret in choosing his line of work; he had always aimed to please his parents. Father had preached honor, and Mother encouraged faith in the divinities. He got the best of both sides.
Her gentle nature was his clue toward the thought of healing.

"But yes, your guess would be correct. I would much rather give life and help to my family than anything else.”

The corners of his lips twisted up and the smile remained even as she frowned and added, "But I haven't any healing magic or even experience. I only ever watched my mother, and even that was only for a short time. How would I be able to do such a job without any knowledge of the craft?"

Chuckling lightly he answered with positive affirmation, “The art of Healing is foreign to me,” angling neck, tawny eyes gazed at her, “ But others within this clan will be able to teach the needed knowledge,” mussing he thought of the Shaman, “I can help you seek out Onni, when you are settled.”

Vibrant colors of green loomed toward them, individual timbers of could be easily made out, “Take all the time that you need to decide on this.”

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

To be able to help people?

Is that something that she would be able to do? Oh, how lovely it would be to have the chance to give something back to those who would take her in. To make up for any pain she might cause. To give them a reason to have her. How desperately she wanted this: to be wanted and needed instead of repulsed and sent out into the world to find her own way, and just because she had an unfortunate condition. She had long since resigned herself to the fact that this was the way of the world, to be cast off for the slightest imperfection. Could it be that this was not the case?

I must have died and gone to heaven.

His nicker caught her unaware, and she glanced his way as a smile lit her features. Surely everything she thought she had gathered about the world wasn't going to go up in smoke. She would be relieved, of course, to learn that those who resided her would truly allow her to become a part of their family. But it was simply too good to be true. And in the desert, after all, it was easy to see something that was not there. It would be a mirage, and illusion; it would be there and then gone in the blink of an eye, leaving the viewer lost and alone. And she had not desire to be either of those yet again.

It can't be so easy.

"The art of Healing is foreign to me,” Midas informed her. This did not surprise her. The way he carried himself bespoke other knowledge. "But others within this clan will be able to teach the needed knowledge.” But how could it just be this simple? There had to be some hoax, some trick going on, and what poor taste it was! But no, Midas did not have such cruelty in his soul, of that, she was sure. And so it must be real. “I can help you seek out Onni, when you are settled.”

What pure luck I have stumbled across!

One last vocalization: "Take all the time that you need to decide on this.” She did not have to consider long, of course. "I would like that very much." Her disbelief at her good fortune was quite evident in her voice; it was a sound of wonder, excitement. It was everything that she could have dreamed of to have wound up here, and she would be forever thankful to Midas for bringing her here. That is, if she were allowed to stay.

Please, oh please...