the Rift

[PRIVATE] Be Brave

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
How could it be that the Lady Moon was banished to their forest, and yet Kahlua had not seen her amongst the sinewy boughs of the trees? Was the goddess ashamed of what she had done, hiding from her herd, or was there some other secret plan in place that Kahlua was not privy to? Frowning, the queen sighed. It still haunted her that the goddess had thought she had to cause death to create a point. It haunted her more that it was the goddess she had worshipped, that her herd had followed, and that the queen had gone to for advice on more than one occasion. What did that mean of her? Did that mean she condoned the ideas that the lady of the night had striven for? Closing her eyes, the queen shook her head. There was so much about this that she did not understand, it was making it difficult for her to look at it with rational eyes.

Normally she would have gone to Kaj for help- it was his trouble as much as her own, after all- but she still had not forgiven him for what he had said and she still wasn’t ready to apologize for what she had said. Archi could also have helped her, but the queen already knew where he stood, in some ways. In the ways she didn’t know, she was almost afraid to ask. He had hinted that he wanted to leave, to rule elsewhere, to escape the clutches of the Lady Moon. The queen had brushed it aside, unwilling to encourage war. Who else could she go to?

Looking to the little blue as he sat nestled in a tree, Kahlua at least found peace with him. He was growing bigger and stronger each day, more gallant- a responsibility she had not meant to take on but which had been thrust upon her anyways. The trouble with the Lady Moon was like that as well. The sunshower had never intended to be involved in this circus of a murder mystery, but here she stood at the center of it all. Absently, she began to move, hooves dragging her forward almost against her will, and the queen soon found herself at the cliff edge overlooking the sea beyond. The cool wind picked and played at her mane, throwing it about in gentle waves. Did the ocean have insight that she did not? Perhaps… it was as ancient as the earth itself and seemed to have just as much mystery. Closing her eyes, she prayed to the other three gods for guidance (even Father Earth, despite her continued apprehension of the beast). She needed some help to lead her from this abyss.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS

I will give your heart a place to rest when everything you had has turned and left.
I'll weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.

The Dauntless was doing his own thinking at the cliffside, and Kahlua’s approach pulled his attention away. He had finished his patrol and was standing, letting the salty air roll over his face and mingle in his long hair, thinking of what he needed to say to get his thoughts to his lips and to his comrade’s ears. Archibald knew they could not stay in the World’s Edge--it was far too dangerous, and the heartache and anger that boiled dangerously in the chests of so many here--including him--was too loud and too important to ignore. So, as the black and white mare moved into his peripherals, Archibald moved towards her. Loretta was off in the forest, devouring her latest meal. It was a right plump rabbit, fat on the height of the summer, and Loretta had been lucky enough to even find her snatch of babes. The malamute would be full for longer than usual with this righteous meal.

”Kahlua,” Archibald mumbled some, his voice quiet and gentle as he glided to the paint’s side. ”How do you fare?” He asked, eying the blue dragon carefully. Archibald knew the feel of flames upon his hide, and although he considered this dragon to be bonded to his friend with no intention of harming him, he was completely mindful of what the dragon could do in a state of rage. Archibald turned so he was standing parallel to the monochrome queen, and he turned his molten, cold eyes to look out at the crashing waves below before shifting to watch the clouds meet the churning ocean at the horizon. He would be a liar if he uttered that he did not enjoy this forest, this home at the edge of the world, but there was too much pain and too much risk at living in the mists of a harbored murderer with no conscience.

Image Credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born
</style>

Elusion had worked wonders for the King, in the end. Childish and cowardly though it could be considered, it was the only thing that had brought him peace when it came to the fight that still lay cold and obstructive between him and Kahlua. Her pain was obvious to him, but each time he turned his head and allowed her to deal with it herself. Or, more likely, for someone else to venture along and comfort her themselves. He had found peace in the new souls he had met and tethered to himself, one in particular whom he could not keep off his mind. It was addicting, it was fucking terrifying, but the beautiful weather-warrior had inspired in him a strength that Ophelia had taken and shaped into something beautiful and wholesome. She had helped make him into something strong and ready, a piece of himself that had grown into the man that sought out Kahlua in that moment. He’d had his epiphany at the Shrines, the final realization, the puzzle piece he’d been scouring the earth for. Kaj had found the answer to his family’s prayers, the final axe fall down onto the nape of the problem that had been haunting them all since the revealing of the murderer.

There was no doubt in his mind that Archibald would stand by him in his new station, both as brother and leader. Kahlua on the other hand was an untested variable, chaotic and transitional in nature more than personality. She still believed herself too pure to do what Kaj knew he’d have to ask of her, but Kaj had seen the dark of her, had seen it when she’d tried to flee Helovia, when she’d rejected him, when they’d fought. She could not hide from him, because he knew her as well as she knew him. They both knew the softest, most painful parts of one another, and how to exploit those areas. It was a sad fate cropped up from the spilled blood of their relationship, a rose bloomed from the crimson of their anger that Kaj intended to prick his finger upon once more. If Kahlua could not sacrifice some of her morals for the sake of her people, then she was not fit for the crown she wore.

Kaj prayed – and what an odd new experience that was for him – that it would not come to that.

By the time he found the painted woman, she was already in the company of another. Good, Kaj thought to himself. One less person to find. Their voices were soft, melodic. Kaj made his way to them, quiet but not hiding himself from them. Kahlua’s distant gaze still instinctively turned his heart in his chest, worry that he was not supposed to own any longer trying to flounder its way to the surface of his consciousness. It fell back to silence with ease at the memory of a tentative smile, eyes full of turmoil and hope in equal measures. A smile tried to pull at his lips, her feather tied behind his ear, the end of it catching the peripheral of his right eye. No, he would take Arah’s advice. He would be strong; he would cut the broken, infected heartstrings inside his chest and be free from old love and older wounds.

“Kahlua. Archibald.” He sought their attention through their names, face grave and serious in all ways he could construct efficiently. “I’ve found an answer to our problem. But what I ask of you, it is a serious thing. A very large thing. I request that you merely hear me out first.” Eyes turned to Archibald first; he would need to sway the Dauntless to his side before he tried to convince Kahlua. Two against one was a vote he could still push through, as little as he desired to do it. But if force was a necessity, then Kahlua could not think to stop both him and Archibald from securing what they both needed and surely desired.

“As long as we reside here, we are stained by the Goddess and her values. I spoke with Ophelia at the Veins, and I came to the realization, surrounded by all the Gods and their broken shrines, that we have only one option. Both to escape her influence and any harm she may seek to cause us, for our rebellion against her.” Icy eyes looked to the Dauntless, wondering idly if the warrior already knew where this was going to go. He had fought in multiple wars and invasions; surely he would catch onto what Kaj was trying to say. Then he pinned his gaze upon Kahlua, unmoving. Still as stone. “We need another home. We have to invade.” The word was like an omen, a magical word that brought silence down upon him, the gravity of it pulling on his large frame.

“The Throat is our friend, our sister, and as an island it is useless to us. The Basin is closer to us than the Falls currently is, and the continued racism against the Basin from the Hidden Falls is all the more troubling. That leaves us only one option.” Sucking in a breath, Kaj tried to steady his heart, keep it from wavering or sinking down to his hooves with dread. Though he was not entirely fond of the Falls after the meddlesome, sly mares had appeared on his border with Aurelia – not to mention Ghost and her offhand comments – it was still going to end up that he was kicking a family out of their lands. “They wouldn’t have to lose their home. They could come here, fight for these lands. But the Goddess can possibly hurt this family, in ways more than just physical. This is the only option I see that will keep our kin safe.” Eyes turned to Archibald. Surely he also did not want to stay in the land of the Goddess that had killed his mate?

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua
Watching the hulking lead approach, Kahlua found herself both pleased and disappointed. He was… not who she had hoped for. Still, he had proven useful before. Perhaps she could find comfort in his company. At least he seemed eager enough to provide it. “I’m… troubled. There’s just so much to think about.” Frowning gently, she looked at him to see his reaction. He would understand- it was the same troubles, and the same strife, that had been plaguing them all since… since… well, they had all been hurt by the Lady Moon. Shaking her head, she frowned gently. But then what she had actually hoped for occured. Her first king approached, the man she loved, the man she had cared for so much that it had destroyed her, the man she had been hoping for, and instead of being happy, she found herself anxious. Shifting back and forth, the queen became anxious, wondering if she even wanted him here at all. That was, until she heard how serious the tone of his voice was. Instantly, she settled, curiosity winning over anxiety, and she listened to hear what it was that was causing him to be so serious.

At hearing that he had a solution, the queen almost felt joy bubble up within her- the emotion was overwhelming, fantastic, broad, but also terrifying. An answer to trouble with a god. What could it possibly be? Perhaps she knew the answer before he even said it though… when he finally did, her heart sank and her eyes shifted to the ground, unwilling to look her king in the eye. Did he really think this was the best course of action? Her mind, once so focused on him, instantly drifted off and she barely listened as he voiced aloud the cost-benefit analysis of attacking the Falls versus the Basin versus the Throat. Did it matter? This wasn’t something they could just… do, was it?

“But… But…” She choked out softly, and yet there were no words. Not even the tears that normally would have welled up in her eyes were present. In some ways, she had known this moment was coming. But then… She was already dead. She had lost everything that had meant anything to her. Kaj’s love was gone. She had been betrayed by family when Aurelia attacked, betrayed by the world when she had become a wraith, betrayed by the gods when she had been asked to bear and birth Isopia. Everybody had said it to her, in one way or another. Archibald, in the Deep Forest. Resplendence, at the Edge. Kaj, now. They all knew what was best, and maybe she did too, but she had never imagined that peace would mean war. All she wanted was unity, but as she had explained to Archibald, she could not ask her council to give up their positions. They could not go to another herd and ask for asylum. They would be nothing but prisoners, when they had once been royalty.

“Okay,” she all but whispered, staring at the ground still, not daring to raise her eyes, lest she change her mind as she looked at the forest home behind her that she loved so much. “I don’t condone this, but I can’t think of any other way. I’ve asked so many of our family. I think everyone knows what we have to do.” Squinting her eyes closed, she took several deep breaths, finally daring to raise her eyes and look Kaj head on.

“You have never, really let me down. I would follow you to the end of the earth and back. I trust you not to lead me into something that would destroy me…” Her voice was soft, shaking, and yet there was almost a part of her that was daring him to change his mind, daring him to realize that he was asking her to once more tear her soul out for him, who she still loved, and would always love, even when she hated what he had said to her. “If you ask this of me, I will do it. Only for you.” In that moment, where she was softly laying her heart out for the king, it was almost like Archibald had disappeared. Just her and Kaj again, like it had been before. Her emotions were bared, heart open, chest raw. Would he care what he was going to her, or was she just one more pawn in this game he was playing?

And though she didn’t want to, and though she hated herself for giving in, the queen suddenly found herself falling forward, tears finally coming forth, head searching for the safe place along his neck that she knew existed, body daring to hope that his wing would reach forward and around her. Perhaps they were not lovers anymore, if they ever were, but she loved him, and she couldn’t unlove him, and he would always mean everything to her. So when she needed comfort now more than ever, when she was scared beyond her wits end by what she had just agreed to, she knew that it was only him who could comfort her. If only he would be brave enough to set aside his anger as well, to hold her close, to forgive her for what had been said. If he could do those things, then perhaps this thing would not be so bad.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS

I will give your heart a place to rest when everything you had has turned and left.
I'll weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.

The solemn look in her eyes was enough to solidify her words in Archibald's mind. The king reached forward with his nose in an attempt to lay a soft, comforting touch to her shoulder. He was not sure how she would accept it at this time, but the queen had never been cold to him. She had learned to trust him, knowing bits and pieces of his past. This was something the Dauntless would never take for granted--her trust and open heart were not items for Archibald to capitalize on with malice. No, he vowed to continue to counsel her and protect her as he had since joining the World's Edge. That meant letting her fight as she had against Aurelia when Archibald stopped Kaj from deterring the mentally deranged, flame-covered pegasus. It also meant standing at her side and delivering news that was hard, as he had during the meeting after the reveal of the Moon goddess' treachery. Archibald was King and Kahlua was Queen, and with Kaj their other King, they would stand strong as long as the world willed them.

Loretta turned first when Kaj approached, and then Archibald. The combatant pair listened as Kaj spoke, completely agreeing with each word that dripped from his pale lips. Archibald had been thinking of war of invasion since he and Kahlua traveled to the Deep Forest to gather water from the crimson pool. "We must invade the Hidden Falls. Midas hurt Ktulu too deeply, and you were all present to see the way Ghost presented herself when they visited us first. I will travel north, to see Ophelia, and ask that she join us in arms. I can leave now, the journey is a memorized trek in my bones and muscles. Going alone...will help. I am less conspicuous that way if I see anyone else on my journey, and I believe we will be better able to communicate our true reasons with an intimate meeting." Archibald nodded and Loretta turned to leave, waiting for the sign of her bondmate. "If we gain the support of the Basin, or not, I will return to give war counsel." There was no need for Archibald to detail his experience as a warlord, for the two before him knew well enough.

As Kahlua moved forward to embrace Kaj, Archibald nodded to himself before looking Kaj straight in his ice colored eyes. "We will protect our family." and with that, the Dauntless and the Fierce were off toward the Aurora Basin.

Image Credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me