the Rift

[OPEN] Icicles and Sentinels [Ophelia]

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS

I will give your heart a place to rest when everything you had has turned and left.
I'll weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.

The time that lapsed between Archibald leaving Ktulu with Ophelia in the meadow had not been great, but it had been enough for the King to decide what needed to be done. So, with his bitch in tow at his side, Archibald made his way north. The trek was long and arduous, but his hefty body and hardy nature was enough to endure it with ease. Loretta's mood seemed to improve the further north they pushed. As the temperature dropped a new pep was added to the malamute's step. She was in a land that was particular to her breeding, and Archibald witnessed the pup in her as she played and ran as they travelled as she often did in the deep throws of winter. However, the massive stallion reined her in as they reached the path that lead them to the Basin. He needed to keep her demeanor as a passive, steady, and stoney facade. They were here to speak to Ophelia, not cause qualms. After all, the Aurora Basin was the World's Edge's ally, and Archibald was always keen to keep those ties well.

Stopping the king looked around. About a yard away the sentinels cast their soulless eyes on him. Despite their large, metal, domineering stature the Dauntless was unphased by their stead at the gate. He was no enemy--and even if he was, Archibald was the Dauntless and would not succumb to fear or apprehension. Loretta stood on his left, shoulder pressed into his solid knee, and she was silent. Her amber eyes stared straight past the sentinels and into the tundra of the valley below. Despite them feeling summer, it was mild and it pleased both Loretta and the king.

"Ophelia, we seek counsel." His words were simple as he called out into the dim light of the morning, mist catching his breath from his bellow. The last time he stood on these borders he agreed to give his soldiers to battle--against his wishes--and today would not be so different. Ophelia was with him then, too, but as his Chieftess. Archibald did not possess the same mind and magic as the Forsaken did, but he knew well she did not agree to the contract they had signed in blood and gore all those seasons ago. She had stepped down, fled to the wilderness, found herself...and in time, Archibald had done the same.

[I cannot make a private thread in a herdland, but this is for OPHELIA only, PLEASE.]

Image Credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The pale princess glittered in the moonlit glow, shards of the lost stone and the star of the Sun God illuminating her white, pristine coat. She stood, as always, next to Torleik, their silent bond and comfort in each other’s presence enough at the current time. Restlessness and wanderlust, however, kept her from staying in one place, and she stirred, leaving the warmth of a cave for the chill of the Aurora Basin night. Colors danced across the sky, stars nearly as bright as sunshine, and she smiled, cloven hooves walking the familiar, grassy terrain. A small whine - something she had grown used to since being here - drew her attention to the narrow entrance of the Basin, and she loped easily to the massive sentinels who whirred steadily.

Surprised to see Archibald standing there, and so soon after Ktulu’s arrival, Ophelia tilted her head curiously. She stood close, bonds of friendship and war filling the space between their bodies. A welcoming smile crossed her lips only tainted by the worry she felt inside. What would draw the Dauntless so far north? Alone? There were very few scenarios she could conjure in her mind that would cause such a meeting, and none of them she wished to dwell on further. He explained that he sought counsel, and her brows dipped in confusion. Since when did one as experienced in war as he need her advice? Something… well. Something lay beneath the surface, and her eyes scoured his golden ones, seeking truth.

”I will do whatever I can,” she promised easily. Close friends and promises went hand in hand. ”What troubles you? Why travel so far?” she asked. ”Nevermind, come in. I know a place where we can speak.” Ophelia turned gracefully, letting him past the metal beasts and to a tent in which silence was promised. Voices were stifled by the walls, ensuring no eavesdroppers could listen in where they were not wanted. ”What is going on?” she asked, expression earnest and open.

Art by: veradaine @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS

I will give your heart a place to rest when everything you had has turned and left.

The flickering candle that Ophelia was danced in the distance, and with a relieved breath Archibald moved forward with her to close the distance between them. He felt comfortable in her presence despite the looming sentinels. Archibald paid them no more mind--any beast who could not obey their master was not to be trusted, and Archibald knew Ophelia well enough that he was confident she would be a master over them. Sticking out his pale nose, he touched her shoulder and breathed warmly into her alabaster coat. ”Ophelia, thank you for coming.” Her string of questions was quick, and Archibald looked on her with hard, golden eyes. He nodded when she dismissed her own questions, and moved his massive body to follow after her comparatively dainty frame. The tent surprised him. This was a glorious contraption, he concluded, as Ophelia led him inside. This tent--quite similar to the herd tents on the Caela Insula--would seclude them from the rest and hush their words to any enemy present. Once comfortably inside--if one could even say that, given Archibald’s mass taking up a vast majority of the room--Archibald nodded again.

The King looked the Lady in her eyes, his stare confident but seeking, and honest. He had nothing to hide from Ophelia. He had pledged himself to her once as a brother of arms--he had protected her, walked with her (though distantly) while she was missing her memories, and had fought alongside her to reclaim the home they deserved. She had free range of his thoughts and his heart. Their friendship and bond was strong--stronger than anything Archibald could have imagined in his life, being born to the mother he was born to. But, in the wake of her death and the absence of his brothers, Ophelia was his sister and she would forever remain as such. There was nothing the white queen could do to breach his trust--save for things Archibald knew she would rather die than perform (such as harming his children). ”With the Moon Goddess walking freely in the World’s Edge I have not been able to sleep. Constantly I move throughout the herd lands, watching for her, protecting my kingdom from her tyranny. Above all things, my herd deserved to feel safe in their own home. They do not.” Archibald lowered his voice some, his tone hardening with the anger that boiled inside of his chest. The Moon Goddess had taken too much from him, from those he loved, and if she could not be eradicated, she needed to be abandoned. ”The recent tension between the Hidden Falls and our herds--personally and politically--has given me the thought of invasion. I am not confident that my herd, my children, or myself can have total faith in any god of Helovia once more, but the safety the Earth God would provide against the Moon Goddess is something I cannot deny. My children reside in the Dragon’s Throat for that very reason--the Moon does not hold weight where the Sun reigns. Ophelia, help me.”

Image Credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia accepted his friendly gesture with concerned grace, letting her whiskers brush the side of his massive cheek when his touched her shoulder. She could only imagine the pain weighing his heart now after the death of Circe - especially knowing what their deaths had done to her own soul. How did he force his hooves to move? What strength did he harbor that allowed him dry eyes when her own wanted so badly to weep? Turning quickly allowed her a moment to blink the gloss from her strange eyes, walking him into the quiet of the tent. Once, they had fought and served together, and by some strange miracle, he had forgiven her for leaving the Foothills barely whispers before battle.

She owed him so much for that alone, but they were closer than comrades. He was the older brother she would never have of her own blood - a silent protector with a pained heart as broken as her own. Archibald, more than others, understood, and through that understanding, they shared a bond deeper than years. Her taciturn moods and odd behaviors had never deterred him before, and though she worried about his hunger for blood, she could not deny that she too felt the thirst. ”If you call for me, I will do my best to be there - always,” she returned, listening to him again now that they were protected by silence.

The mention of the traitorous god made her lips curve into an angry frown, and she exhaled heavily. Ktulu had left the Edge for similar reasons, and she knew that the burden of knowing a murderer was the patron of your land had to be more than just painful. Deep wounds ran through the herd - how could they blindly sleep beneath the mists of a killer? Ophelia quirked a brow at the mention of tension with the Hidden falls, and she wondered what else had occurred besides Midas’ stupidity in regards to her sister. Giving him ample time to finish, she nodded.

”I am curious as to what Midas has done to further alienate himself from your herd as well, and I admit I am surprised that the Falls is in your sights,” she murmured. ”However, the Aurora Basin has grown tired of the petty spitting competition that we have been playing with the pricks in the Falls. Did you know that they refused our offer of alliances? Illynx went to Midas offering our services, and he sent his subjects to deny us. Not once has he set foot in the north, and yet he claims those I help rule are prejudiced? He is the most prejudiced of them all. Times have changed since my father’s era, Archibald, and Midas is either stupid or blind to remain stuck; he is worse than my father was - paranoid and ignorant.”

”I will gladly help you, and I have no doubts that Deimos will support me in this endeavor. We will come to your aide and help you take the Hidden Falls for your own. Midas has sat upon his throne of lies for long enough, and I want safety for you and my sister,” she said firmly. ”I will alert Deimos to what you have said. We need to meet again - your leads and ours - and soon. Shall we gather at the frozen ocean just before you reach the Frostbreathe Steppe? The Western side…”

Art by: veradaine @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS

Loretta watched the pale queen as Archibald spoke, though she did not pick up on any true emotion of anger. Her tail thumped against the hard ground. Will Ophelia help? she asked, looking up with curious amber eyes to her warlord. Archibald seemed to relax some, the muscles in his shoulders loosening as the Forsaken spoke. How true was that name of her now, Archibald wondered. She was strong, able, and wise. She had grown so much since her time of leading the Grey, and Archibald confidently, yet inwardly, decided he was proud of her. It was a different sort of pride than he felt as he looked on the strength of his sons, the beauty of his daughter. It was more akin to the pride he felt towards Lakota when she held her ground against him and his stubbornness of being healed after battle. A softness entered his eyes, so strange for the stoic, cold stallion, and he exhaled a breath he had not noticed he had locked inside of his chest.

”Midas as hurt Ktulu deeply, that is true. Ghost, his leading counterpart, made a mockery of Kaj while meeting with us. I was not lead then, but the taste of disdain for the hybrid mare has not left my tongue. Above the insults they have dealt towards the Edge, this war will be about my family. My herd. The ones I have sworn my life to protect, and this is the only way I see fit to fully acheive that promise at this time.” Archibald’s ears twitched some as Ophelia spoke, knowing nothing of the tensions that had started between the Falls and the Basin so long ago. During the reign of Illynx, Archibald spent most of his time in the ranks of the Windtossed Foothills and as an outcast. He had not been into political matters aside from the calling of his troops in his last herd placement--not since he had been Chief beforehand. ”I must admit,” Archibald opened his heart for Ophelia to dissect as she saw fit, ”I yearn to once more walk on the lands I hold in higher regard to any other in Helovia.”

Even if the name had changed, and the Earth God had moved his hoof over the land to morph the landscape, the territory was still the Windtossed Foothills, and it would forever belong to Archibald in his heart. ”Thank you for your allegiance, Ophelia. I will gather Kahlua and Kaj and meet you as soon as our hooves can carry us.” Archibald moved towards the entrance of the tent, but before moving his massive frame from beneath its secretive grasp the Dauntless turned over his shoulder, ”Bring Ktulu with your troops.” with that, the king dismissed himself.

Image Credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me