the Rift

[PRIVATE] mental machinations

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru
and Alice

The journey north was long, one that would span the entirety of days at a steady pace. Hotaru did not have time for a steady pace. Even with all the hours at her disposal, she allowed none of them to cool her head or pull upon her gait. She called upon her ancestors, gripped their blood tight and let her endurance break free. The desert bled into her frame, and like a hawk she set her eyes north and never wavered. There were small snatches of sleep, lost hours that she grieved for how they slowed her progress. No matter her desire to fly to the snows of her home on the fastest beat her legs could manage, Hotaru had to pace herself. She could not burn out before her light was most needed.

Information boiled and bubbled dangerously in her mind, a thousand interwoven plans that were finally coming to fruition. This was so much more than helping arrange peace with the desert denizens. This was something on a whole new scale. This was war and murder and triumph, and she was nearly intoxicated with the mere potential of it being she who led to the downfall of those who had snubbed their noses at her. Hotaru had never cared what they thought of her, because their wallets and trinkets were far more interesting to her than their misgivings concerning her character. Didn’t they know that Hotaru didn’t even care what she thought of herself? No, she would merely sweet talk her way into their borders, their sentimentalities, and slip her knife between their ribs with a kiss to their cheek in apology. They would be left with only the wounds she had left, the absence of their valuables, and a crimson print upon their skin in memoriam of her passing. Truly, more than they deserved in the eyes of the foxy thief. Alas, she was a queen of dramatics, and so she could not pass up those opportunities.

Oh but this was on such a larger scale. And so she heaved northward on aching hooves, aided by chilled lungs and flared nares. Beneath the intricate web of her plans lay the boiling fury of her realizations, the ones that caused the bone of her teeth to grind when her mind would fall between the infinitesimal holes in her webbing to the realizations below. Oxy had been her little plaything for seasons, when Illynx still reigned and Hotaru could conquer at her leisure, her whole life ahead of her. But Oxy had made a very big mistake when he chose Kou to murder. Hotaru did not like to admit that her weakness lay in her daughters, for whether Aviya liked it or not Raeru was hers in all ways that mattered, but the truth was inescapable. So where once she might not have cared, he had forced her hand. He had been the one to murder the mate of her mentor, the one who had orphaned her daughter and scarred her for life with memories of her birth mother’s demise. Oxy had taken their business negotiations and made it personal. So Hotaru slipped on her Venetian mask and twirled her dagger in her tiny, capable palm. He should have known never to play with fire.

The borders wash over her as she ascends the hill, and her eagerness – or perhaps it’s misplaced desperation – finally frees itself as she runs trumpeting across the tundra. There are two specific souls she desires, and she will chase them from the woodworks because she needs them. They would need her too, Hotaru had made sure of that, because the impersonator was nothing if not capable, and she always made sure to cross her t’s and dot her i’s.

Though she trusted her Basin kin more than perhaps she trusted any other strange soul, her pale eyes still flickered in unison, wary of their prying. Thranduil in particular, as the two had a game of one-up on each other, and she wouldn’t have him stealing away her information a second time. Especially not with her new title to rub into his smarmy (annoyingly handsome) face. As they come, she inclined her head with grace towards the cove of trees looming in the distance, wanting to shield their gathered forms as much as she could for the upcoming speech. Leading them in silence, she calmed the acceleration of her heart. Emotions were not a part of her business, and she wouldn’t have them skewing her deal.

Turning to face her leaders, she cleared her throat demurely. ”I’ve found Oxy.” She hoped it would snag their attention, at least Ophelia’s who had read her daughter’s mind and discovered that Kou’s killer had been the druggie. ”When Illynx was Lady, I had deals going on with Oxy, plans for invasions. It was a delicate process, one that splintered when Illynx disappeared.” Hotaru had no idea how Ophelia would handle such information, she always seemed to be the more sensitive one of the two – not in a wholly negative fashion, but certainly one that impeded Hotaru’s progress – but it was in the past, and Hotaru doubted she and Illynx could still be held accountable. ”He trusts me, he believes he is safe with the Basin because of our…relationship. We want vengeance. I want vengeance. And I can give it to you.”

Still, why would she stop there? ”But he has offered to lead us into the Falls, to fight with us in a potential invasion, and show us the path that hides the entrance. The Falls have made moves against us before, it’s why they’re free game for Thranduil, myself, and our thieves. We could have the Falls land, and when the invasion is over, turn on Oxy and let the punishment for his crimes fall upon his head. I have secured this route of my own volition, it can be bypassed with ease. Or…it can be grasped.” Bichromatic eyes turned flinty as she ended, tiara high and honorable, watching her leaders for inflections of emotion in their features. How they responded was up for debate, but Hotaru had offered them a huge possibility, and it was up to them to accept or deny it.

Image by Frostie-Spirits.deviantart.com
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia saw Hotaru approach, the tension of the past few days bristling the hair on her spine. She was resolute, a marble pillar of force, unmoved. The strawberry mare approached, and she shook her head as captivating words caught her attention. Swiftly, though not rudely, she silenced the thief. ”Not here,” she said. ”The tent.” With swift steps, she ducked beneath the protective curtain of silence and then looked to Hotaru, eager to hear the rest of this story. Oxy had murdered Kou. The honesty flowed forth from Hotaru’s lips, and the pale princess did not once blink or reveal her inner most thoughts. All she felt was anger at the cruelty done to a child by this monster. Using him, manipulating him? A just revenge, indeed.

The plan was perfect, and she nodded once, succinctly. ”I have no love for Midas or his kin,” she hissed, bihued eyes growing dark with rage and malice. Midas, self-proclaimed do-gooder, was nothing but a sham. He cared about himself, always, and she had been a fool to think differently. Love was a word not reserved for the heart but spoken into ears of willing women, and Ktulu had been caught in the crossfire. Then, not even weeks past the murder of her firstborn, Midas had waltzed into her home with his pregnant, disabled bitch at his side. No… Ophelia held no loyalty to Midas.

”The Falls have been thorns since they denied Illynx an alliance. In the Threshold, I hear them call us names - say we are treacherous and racist. They hold true prejudice. When was the last time Midas, Africa or any of theirs came here to visit us? To talk of peace? I will not grovel for politeness, but I will take it by force.” Ophelia spoke clearly, head raised high in the air. She was a stone, powerful and beautiful at once, and she wanted revenge in all ways and for many things. Now, they all converged on a single enemy -- The Hidden Falls.

But no return of slight could simply be equal. She would destroy any hope of retaliation and avenge her sister and the Basin two-fold. Winning was not the end game. Annihilation was the cure. “We will not have to engage them alone,” she said. ”I have spoken with the leaders of the World’s Edge, and they seek to emerge from the shadow of the Moon Goddess. We can fight with them and secure the Hidden Falls for their purposes. Once accomplished, the World’s Edge will be free to do with what we wish. I know that this was your previous home, Deimos. I will leave you to decide if you wish to return to the forests of your past or remain here.”

Ophelia smirked. ”Also, Gaucho holds no love for Midas anymore - not since Midas watched as he threw himself before the gods. Only I stood at his side in support. I will speak to him, but he will not fight.” Ophelia looked between Deimos and Hotaru, mind whirling like a machine. ”We should, however, keep a small force here to protect our land from outcasts. Gaucho has taken Confutatis, but that does not mean we will be safe. Should you indicate I stay, I will, but I would personally love to wipe the self-righteous expression from Midas’ face…” The Lady snarled, ears pinning back against her skull with the force of her vehement emotions.

Credits: Image by perfectperfection @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
The Reaper thrived on anarchy. He lived for the sensation of chaos, of bedlam, of mayhem weaving its sinuous, treacherous arches, eternally plunging his nefarious glances, his Machiavellian ministrations, down into Tartarean compositions. He’d been too immersed in the fangs of decadence, in the reign of terror, to ever let relish anything else but the malicious gleam of vengeance, the taut, rigid edges of violence, the toiling urgency of tribulations – of constant vigilance, of unsung, unholy vehemence. His breath was an enduring coil of danger, his presence an everlasting maelstrom. His body was tied and tethered together by the strings of devastation, sinew pulsing in maddening plumes, in the strangling, suffocating elasticity of remorseless, heartless rhythms, a skull undulating belligerence, movement and motion promising annihilation, all wound in the bestial swing of abhorrence, in the barbaric plunge of a wicked scythe. The King had been christened and anointed in the archaic press of war, of crusades, of molten, infernal hues, sparking, inciting, provoking until clenching fists and armaments blasted holes through fortifications: he’d been brought into the world, born amidst the tides of Isilme, as an agent of destruction, of ruin, of annihilation and upheaval. He’d been granted, sullied, sculpted, and molded into deplorable, horrible machinations, and perhaps it was about time he returned to the ferocious endeavors of a satanic predator. The circle of potency was incomplete.

While the world tumbled about in its idiotic sway, scraping at old wounds, grasping at scars, struggling to establish triumph over the insurgence of listlessness, the demonic, Lucifer sculpture was pulled into Hotaru’s words, enticed by the bounty of their worth, by the danger they’d drawn, clawing and prying, rasping and grating, because retribution had reared its nefarious head. How long had it been since the Doctor’s lover had been murdered, how long had it been since one of their own had been tattered and maimed, ripped apart and destroyed? All they’d discovered were loose ends, shambled, frayed monuments, unwinding, loathing bitterness, rancorous knots tied in sullen fringes. But now a name, a declaration, a bite amongst the thorns and brambles, revitalized the conspiracies, the traps, the snares, shorn and sewn into the bellicose veins of the Reaper. There were possibilities, endless whims, indulgent wiles of absolute decadence, conquering, devastation, upheaval, sedition and splendor, all wrapped in a taut bow, curling, coiling, ravishing down into the depths of his avaricious mind. Hotaru had presented them with a wonderful opportunity, and he grasped it with a ferocious snicker, a chaotic smirk. Revenge, war, and annihilation - all of the birds lined up in a neat row, ready for plucking. Beneath the tent’s enclosure, their nuances, their sentiments, their hate could leech into the sanction and reign supreme, and all the ambitions, all the aspirations, he’d warranted since the days of living amongst the Edge cliffs could be seen, visualized, tasted, and refined.

The fact that the Forsaken was in on it, agreed to the propositions, only made it more sublime. There didn’t have to be any cunning measures to trace her steps towards war. She glided along the path like all of them, consumed, devoured, and swallowed by the soulless temptation of annihilation. Midas and the Falls, Oxy the murderer, strung up on the gallows and hoisted by their own foolishness. The Edge aligned with them, indulging in their own schemes (and who would have known they had it in them – peacekeepers and do-gooders suddenly enticed by the notion of warfare?), the Throat would hold no regard, and all of the pieces would align perfectly: a turbulent, virile storm. He confirmed what they all thought, what they all wished, blunt and keen. “We will fight.” He paused though, riveting his glance towards the silvern mare, clenching his jaw together at the contemplation of what could remain of the Edge. Did he want to lay claim to a world he once tried to protect? The answer came with little pause, with hardly a need for consideration. He’d plunged his blade into the ice, into the rime, into the glaciers and summits, peaks and valleys, for far longer than the shoreline and cliffs; the Basin had bestowed him everything, and he wouldn’t forsake the arches of time, the realm of chilling wind, for something he’d barely known. “The Basin is my home. Should we be victorious, I will remain here.” He was winter, after all – what would he be without the chilling winds, the barbaric paths? A noteworthy nod was given to both femmes, dipping in reverence to their cunning, to their ministrations, to the combination of Machiavellian exploits fortified and kindled. “I will go to the Falls. Allow me to assemble soldiers for the siege.”
Death, you bring death, and destruction to all that you touch.
- bg - table - art -

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru
and Alice

Her mistress all but blended into the scenery of her backdrop, the stage Hotaru had unwittingly placed her upon. Old muscle memory twinged in her hide, ancient urge to indulge in physical affection. The unwilling heart she held captive too battered and wounded to ever trust in that route again, the elegant Impersonator turned her head from it, the siren’s call of a gentler side that cursed her imperfect foundations. She found herself focusing instead on the intricate colors of her Lady’s eyes, separating the wholesome entity into particles that would not wish upon her distraction or weakness. They mirrored hers so oddly, both sharing one color but not the other. A physical shake of her head was enacted then, chasing away the thoughts like buzzing, droning flies. There was business to be done, Hotaru could not succumb to the conversational topics she desired, nor let her heart take reigns that it had not touched since before her full rotational year. As she crossed the threshold of snow and tundra, she allowed herself to be stopped, led into the sanctuary of silence beneath the woven tent’s embrace. Its flaps kissed her flanks, welcoming her into the silence, hanging and mildly foreboding though it was with the heft of her revelation. Her words colored its empty expanse, a perfumed cloud that they all were subjected to. Each color was chosen for a reason, each word a purpose in the pattern and cadence of her words. Still, she suspected that regardless of how she phrased the information, the interest on behalf of her leads would not waver. After all, such vital facts and variables were not to be taken lightly. Still, muscle memory.

Like predatory felines, two pairs of eyes glinted at her in the shade of the tent’s ambiance, flickering and shining like revolving gold coins at the mention of revenge and justice. Hotaru had waved the bloodied cloth beneath their noses, and the hounds had caught the scent of blood at last. Even a trained beast could not ignore the pulse of hunger forever. And the Basin was a beast, a predator, a slinking lynx in the night. It had lain quiet and acquiescent for too long. It was a serpent with built up venom, writhing and slinking through the shadows, cursed by the evil blood in their veins, the macabre justifications waiting in the runes and etches of their minds. Hotaru had slicked its scales lovingly, dedicated to her task. For seasons she had made herself a perfect niche, her end game only known to herself – the sole individual she could trust implicitly. Finally, things were coming into light. Action was being taken. And Hotaru? She was at the very head of it, for she’d spun her web so tightly and so delicately that they needed her. Relied upon her. Alice craned her head up and whined softly, uncomfortable. Hotaru decided she’d rather not dwell on the fact that there was something hiding in her psyche, reasoning behind why her only happiness came about when she was needed.

Confutatis came into conversation, and though Hotaru was delighted that the bitch who had escaped her clutches had been retrieved once more, she was still stung about the fact she’d gotten away at all. Jaw clenched and bulged with the motion of her teeth grinding, and though she realized she’d done enough, with all she’d presented to her leaders, she still felt like a failure in that moment. Her eyes flashed with renewed determination. “I will redeem myself for her escape, I swear it to you,” she hissed softly, mind already whirring with Ophelia’s words. A potential began to bud in her mind, a target accumulating. I have no love for Midas… Bihued eyes flickered to Ophelia in particular. Perhaps she could do her Lady one more favor.

Then to Deimos. Her eyes sparkled, practically hyperventilating with her pride, her excitement. She was still nothing but a child, hardly into her third rotation, and already she’d accomplished much. Part of her was starving for their compliments, their pride. The pride Phaedra had never given her. It was a side of her she did not acknowledge even in her darkest moments, but so soon after Deimos had promoted her, she could not help but fall prey to its ways. “If you will have me, I will lend my body to the ranks. It is my old home, and I have some vengeance of my own to enact,” she murmured, eyes filled with something like blood and alcohol. She was toxic and she’d fight whether he had her or not, but the intention was the same behind her words. “I will return to Oxy and ensure he does not have any second thoughts. We are to meet him at the changing of the seasons, on the Harvest moon in the start of Orangemoon.” Illuminated eyes switched between her Lord and Lady, and were they not to have hold on her any longer, she would turn and escape into the night. Back to her job, the one that never ceased.

Image by Frostie-Spirits.deviantart.com
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia smirked as she listened to Deimos’ succinct reply, constantly astounded at how he could say both so much and so little at once. She knew he would agree, but she had to admit that she was offended at the surprise she saw written on Hotaru’s features when she openly agreed to war. The pale princess was not one to shirk violence, but she was also clever and keen. Running to a battle unprepared was not her style; she would, instead, wait, like a knife in the shadows, and when victory was ensured, she would strike without mercy. This was one of those rare moments where every piece of the puzzle fell together perfectly, no stone left unturned. Ophelia had skeletons in her closet and darkness in her past, and she wanted revenge just as any other.

Contrary to popular belief, Ophelia was not a “good” character. She followed the sun, but the sun can blind. She was beautiful, pristine, but bloody. Her words were softly spoken and beautifully arranged, but speaking only what was necessary. Ophelia was gray, neither black nor white. Cloven hooves, split just like the colors of her eyes, walked a fine line between two halves of a whole. She was a twin, one of a pair. She was half-blooded, neither one nor the other. She had a horn, but she had dragon. Her life rested upon the fulcrum of stereotype without once falling from one side to the other, and the precarious balancing act was a constant source of curiosity.

Ophelia smiled at Hotaru, proud. ”Excellent, Hotaru. You have… truly outdone yourself. I am in awe of your skills and look forward to fighting at your side, for I would never keep you from this battle.” She looked then to Deimos, relaying what she had told to Archibald about a meeting of the leaders. ”We need to meet the leaders of the World’s Edge near the ocean of the Frostbreathe Steppe,” she said quietly. ”Archibald will be waiting there for us, and we can speak tactics and plans.”

She paused. ”I must alert Gaucho and ask him not to support the Falls, and I trust him not to relay our secret. Gather the soldiers, and I will meet you there in a few days’ time.” Ophelia leapt from the tent moments later, starting her swift descent into Helovia as if death’s hounds were nipping at her heels.

Credits: Image by perfectperfection @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
The beating, bleeding confirmation of war hinged and harpooned along his sides, pressed in the glimmers of a smirk, the tremors of a song not yet sung. Sieges and assaults were his oeuvres, were his masterpieces, were his tapestries woven in blood, rich ichor dabbling down the stitched seams, the careful, tactician brushstrokes; he carved bones, he lacerated skin, he pulsed bedlam and arched mayhem. For too long he’d yearned for this, craved it in the bellowing annals of his licentious creeds, yearned for its thriving, blistering revolution: to have success, to have victory, for his beloved Siberia. Time and time again he’d sculpted through the follies of their wake, rising and diving and plunging and growling when they emerged conquered and defeated, when they had the simple taste of conquest dancing and simmering upon their tongues, but became so utterly incapable of grasping it whole. They needed success, they needed victory, they needed the riveting, ambrosial touch and relish of vehemence, of violence, of true, pure, abhorrent upheaval, to trust in their capabilities, to thrust their swords through an enemy’s chest, to obliterate an audacious foe. They needed a win to notch across their hides, to score across their banners, to announce their mastery, their dominance, their supremacy, with true, final distinction. They were the monsters of the north, the treacherous demons of the ice and snow, and this moment, this chance, this opportunity, could ensure, could cement, their superiority. Gone were the days of the lost Edge, the rancorous exploits of fallen brethren, gone were the days of a split cadre, running rampant into mist, fog, sand, and stones, faltering and stumbling and bumbling their way through. They were persistent, they were fierce, they were persevering; an enduring tribe of warriors, of cretins, of infidels, waiting and watching for their malicious ambitions to be fulfilled: and here it lay before them, encased in Falls losses and Moon speculation.

He’d seize it alongside them. He’d carve their names across stones, across statues, across fallen lands.

The Reaper nodded to each of them (a job well done towards the Impersonator, a fleeting bob of his skull to the Forsaken for being a willing participant in the art of warfare), a silent slate of manifested, composed sedition. He bristled, pulsed, pervaded with vigilant savagery, visceral brutality, embarking down the wayward halls of cruelty, of ferocity, with a polished, kindled stroke – one touch, one promised reverie of potency, of death, of damnation, and he was ensorcelled, rapidly approaching the rabbit hole. His agreements passed in quiet ambition, in billowing folds of sinister, nefarious arts, turning just as they toiled into their sectors, shifting in the shadows to begin finding his soldiers, one by one, bidding them a newfound holiday, a conspiracy-laden request.

Death, you bring death, and destruction to all that you touch.
- bg - table - art -