the Rift

The Final Ascent

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

Orangemoon had brought with it fierce storms. Without the regulative presence of the Moon Goddess, a new equilibrium was trying to form, but the fluctuations as the world and the Gods struggled to find it, were obvious. Even in the Basin, sheltered by their mountains, storms raged. Dark skies, clouded by thunderheads concealed another moonless night, but not all was hidden by the darkness. In the glow of a few bursts of sheet lightning, a figure moved. A prisoner. The prisoner, draped in golden and heartache, sought to find escape. It had to be obvious to the prisoner, that the Basin now marched towards his home. His family. They had tried to detain him here, to prevent him from defending his home, but he would not be deterred.

Nothing would keep the prisoner from returning to those he loved. Nothing.

But he had waited. Had been patient and observant. His wings would not necessarily aid him as they normally would, for the rocky cliffs that overshadowed the Basin were so steep and so severe, that he would likely die should he try to escape by going directly up. He would need to use their lands in a way that would benefit him. As a particularly nasty storm brewed over head, the prisoner knew it was time.

The images of those he fought for, those who kept his heart beating flashed before his eyes as lightning flashed through the sky. It had not yet started to rain, but a vicious wind tore through, rattling structures and displacing the earth. Spreading his wings, the prisoner sought to escape. He would use the wind, the lightning, and his aerial advantage to elude his guards. Taking to the air, the prisoner was sure that he would make it. The great sentinels were in sight, and despite the trail of guards who were valiantly trying to knock him out of the air, he was there. The sentinels already knew him, as he had been learned when he had come in with Hotaru. They would not shoot him down. He just needed to make it just a little farther.

Just a little ...

Lightning illuminated the skies as the thunder rolled. The deafening sound hid any cries that might have come from the prisoner, as lightning struck and immobilized his body. Broken, his body crumbled and dropped towards the ground.

Midas had fallen.

Burn marks pocked his black and white coat, and the metal that he wore blistered into his skin due to the current that had pulsed through them. Bones were broken, nerves scrambled, and blood lost. Irreparable damage had been done. Immortality had its limits.

The Earth God would not see another son of his endure such pain. He had not let Hototo the day darkness had come for him on the Island, and he would not now let Midas writhe in this way. A warm light fell from the heavens, illuminating Midas' body. Not just for show, the light was a force-field of the God's power, and would prevent any who had been pursing Midas from entering.

"Midas..." The Gods voice was all around him, enveloping him in warmth and love. He had told Midas once that he had raised him to the highest level possible for a mortal, ascension. Now it was time to raise him just that bit higher..."To me, Midas. You have done well. It is time to rest."

The God's words stripped Midas of all pain, confusion, and trouble. Worry spilled away, lightning his mind until it burst from his body in a golden spiral. In time, the items on Midas' body would be returned to his family, for now however, they merely disappeared from his withering flesh. From his broken body the God retrieved a number of feathers - from Neve and Fina's bodies as well. Although the phoenix's had not been struck by the lightning, their bond made them just as susceptible to its effects. Just as with Midas, the God quieted their pains, allowing their souls to rest and depart.

Midas had endured so much in his time, that perhaps immortality was more of a burden than a gift. But now that journey was over, his quest fulfilled. The God smiled as Midas soul, golden and dancing, twirled higher and higher into the sky. He would rise above them all, and take a watchful place. There he would rest for all eternity.

There he would be remembered.

The Gallant.

The Ascended.

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

Why....

Why now...

Why the FUCK

One second he was minding his own goddamn business, tinkering with the sentinels and bemoaning his fate at having to stay put and babysit. The next second, a gigantic bolt of lightning shot from the sky and struck his captive dead. Dead. On the ground, lifeless. His body was pockmarked and burned, and the stallion stared, dumbfounded, from about 30 meters away. Ulrik was struck, stunned, almost as literally as this dead Midas. What the fuck?

Panic then set in.

They would blame him. He worked with the spark. He made machines that could shock. Oh fuck, they would blame him!

He had to do something. He had to do something NOW. Ulrik grunted, running to go find a dry stick and completely missing the fact that the Earth God had taken feathers from the stallion's body. The Engineer was freaking out, determined that everything he said would be shot to hell if anyone thought that he had killed Midas the fucking-gallant. How many times could he say "fuck" in his head? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Ulrik ran to one of his sentinels with a dry stick and stuck it in the belly of the machine, letting it catch fire from an arcing capacitor. Seconds later, he carefully approached the dead body, not at all worried about the fact that his beard would be singed, and he was ready to erase all of this permanently. He could just say that Midas escaped, right? Would they believe that? Others had escaped before...

The stallion held the torch in his lips, sides heaving in confusion. How could he fail so hard?

(Please tag me in every post)

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

Midas was not her prisoner, he was Ulrik's but she had been among the guards that had given chase when the pegasus had taken to the air in the middle of a storm to find his escape. Try as they might they could not knock the bird from the sky before he made it to the damned sentinels that were obviously of no use to someone trying to escape. Phantom flinched and stumbled to a halt as lightning flashed through the sky. Her crimson eyes watched as the stallion fell from the sky, fell from grace. She remained motionless as his body hit the ground, the sickening sound of breaking bones echoed and was soon overshadowed and drowned out by a thunderclap.

Lightning continued to flash and Phantom had begun to move closer, only to stop as light filtered down from above. She waited until it was gone before she made her approach, snoring at the smell of singed hair and flesh. Phantom sighed and shook her head. "Well, fuck." She murmured. "Ulrik!" She shouted for the stallion. "You were supposed to be watching him! What happened? You know they're going to try to blame us for this, right?"

Would they? Phantom snorted, her mouth pressed into a grim line as she looked down at the stallion who was so reckless that he would take flight in a storm wearing metal armor. "What do we do with him now? We can't leave him here, he'll start to stink." She continued to stare, her tail flicking back and forth slowly. Ophelia would need to be informed, but Phantom did not think that it was important enough to interrupt an invasion. "I guess we could burn him."

"."

P H A N T O M

so scatter all my ashes when i'm dead
and shatter every legend in my head

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia
I'm on fire and I can't stop burning
The storm had blown in unannounced. I couldn’t detect its anger or its ferocity from where I waited nor could I predict what would come as a result… I was just an oblivious bystander to the horrendous events that would soon unfold from the swath of darkness that veiled the Basin, a stony vision of hurt and hate. However, a singular bolt sent earthbound from the heavens made me gasp… I’d never seen anything like it, as large and unyielding as it seemed. I had planned to remain hidden away from the violent torrent of wind and rain, but as my eyes trailed the length of the plains toward the –

No…

From above, a flash of gold-

No, please…

The fluttering of extended wings-

Gods help him!

The dim lighting casting a faint sheen over his metal collar-

Run.

The pelting rain forced me to squint as I bolted from beneath the overhang and into the wide range. I was clumsy, rushed, and at times a strangled cry burst from inside like a panicked shriek. Yet, I was no warrior this day… I was just a prisoner praying that the Gallant was still alive- that he would survive this. Was he not favored by the Gods? Was he not fucking blessed with immortality? I could only hope… I could only believe.

My hooves slid in the mud and the snow and for a moment I was forced to stop in order to regain my balance. Ulrik’s contraption made it nearly impossible to reach Midas as quickly as I’d wanted and somehow that was a pain so deeply felt that I was tempted to stop… I felt so defeated, so fucking deceived. I’d been made a mockery of and now I was facing the possible death of- FUCK! I couldn’t say it, I couldn’t think it… it was all too much.

I was frantic, I was scared, and I couldn’t determine if it was the rain that scorched my eyes or the tears that pulsed and pushed against my lids until they were required to spill. By the time I had crossed the open plains to reach him, the rain had caused my tail to mat around my hocks and mud had been splashed up under my stomach.

Yet the stillness… It was telling. It was heartbreaking….

My teeth chattered and the cold seemed to seep into my bones before the weeping commenced. They came in great, heavy sighs and loud, dissonant moans until I noticed that Phantom had come to observe the body. Ulrik too had come to witness the Gallant’s death and there was something infuriating about all of it… something so vile about the way they regarded him, even in death. “Get away from him!” I screamed breathlessly. “Just get the fuck away from him!

As I drew nearer, I noticed the flames that Ulrik had claimed from one of his blasted machines. The heartless bitch I knew as Phantom suggesting burning him… burning Midas? The thought enraged me and only more tears came hot and heavy as I pushed my way toward the flame. “ARE YOUR FUCKING DEAF?! Get that away from him! You indecent animals! Just get away from him! Have you no hearts? Have you no souls? This is my kin, my leader, and my friend! Touch him and I will fight you with all that I am, until there is nothing left of us both!” I shrieked while tossing my head about in an attempt to drive them back. I was nothing, if captive, but they would not keep me from mourning and they would not keep me from preserving Midas in his final moments of glory.

He had lived and died for the Falls. He had pushed when everyone told him to pull. He had defied life itself, been given breath beyond death… This was no way for a King to die and he was in fact just that… a King to those he helped, a King to those he led, and a King to those he loved. Nothing about this would be forgotten, because just like Midas, his memory would go down in history. He would be remembered for his perseverance and for his strength… He would not be buried in the ice and snow… This was not his home.

With Phantom and Ulrik at my back, I moved slowly toward my fallen Czar. With as much grace and power as I could manage given my restraints, I kneeled at his side. The tears flowed freely now and my throat felt swollen with emotion, but I had to do this. I had to do this for those who waited back in the Falls for his return. I had to do this for those who loved him and knew him as Brother… I had to do this for Africa, for the one he loved. “You will never be forgotten Midas… I will make sure of that.

Carefully, I turned to pluck a single gold tipped feather from his great appendage. His daughter would not forget… he did not abandon her, but instead fought for her and her mother. He was now… truly ascended.
Image Credit

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

Ulrik stared dumbly at Phantom with the torch still between his lips, and he set it down roughly, catching the end between to halves of a large, cloven hoof. He gave her an incredulous, angry and righteous glare. The stallion snorted through his dark, velvety nostrils, and growled. "You fucking think I know what happened?" he snapped back, obviously unsettled, sides still heaving from panic. How was she so goddamn calm right now? That was pissing him off... "I heard a loud snap, turned around, and there he was laying on the goddamn ground! I ran to get fire, and that's as far as I got..."

Burn him. Yes. that would hide it all. Just as he was about to set fire to the body again, he heard Essetia run forward, yelling. The stallion's ears pricked forward, frowning. He cringed against the vehemence of her tones, not because he was upset, but because he saw truth in what she said. Ulrik grumbled, tossing his fiery torch to the ground and grimacing, still in the throes of a full-blown freakout.

Was she crying? Rain was falling and he was drenched, droplets of water sliding down his furry chest and clinging to his mane. He took a step back when she yelled, frowning deeply and feeling a headache coming on. What should he do now? She was obviously grieving. Midas must have been important to her - more important than he had originally anticipated. Carefully, he cleared his throat, extinguishing his fire and then taking a cautious step forward.

"I am ah... sorry... for your loss." And he was. He wasn't sorry that Midas was dead. He was just sorry that she was hurting about it. Hopefully that was enough, because that was all he had.

The stallion awkwardly rubbed one of his hooves into the ground. "I did not want him to die. He just... I heard a crack and he fell over. Did you need help moving him, maybe?" Ulrik didn't know what to do. All of this was out of his element. Usually he just killed them and dumped the body in the swamp, but that was barely existent anymore. "Uh, we can carry him with one of the sentinels to your people in a few days? Until then, the ice can preserve... him.."

Was that a callous thing to say? It seemed so rational. She would care about him decaying, right? If she wanted to take his body to her people?

(Please tag me in every post)

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

"I fucking think that you were supposed to be keeping an eye on him." Phantom shot back at the Engineer. She had turned to look at him as she spoke but the panic on the stallion's face and the tone of his voice made her roll her eyes in exasperation. She had been quiet and kept to herself since arriving and was thrust into the position of being a babysitter for a captive alongside Ulrik who sucked at his job and he had the nerve to have an attitude with her. Phantom snorted, her head turning as her own captive arrived and proceeded to turn into a blubbering, emotional mess.

She quirked a brow as the girl tossed insults at them, finding it childish and rather inappropriate considering the circumstances. They had not killed the Czar and the burning of a body was considered and honor in her land. Only warriors and leaders ever had the honor of being burned as long as they were unicorn. That, however, did not need to be said. What was important was that Phantom, despite her upbringing, was willing to acknowledge Midas' position in Helovia.

The pale mare sighed as Ulrik offered his condolences, but she chose to remain silent and listen as he even offered a sentinel to bring the body home. To what home? She wondered to herself. Would he not be homeless is the Falls fell to the Edge and the Basin? Where would his body go? She chose not to voice her question and, instead, moved away to watch at a safe distance where she was sure to be clear of tears and snot coming from the distraught mare.

"."

Phantom

so scatter all my ashes when i'm dead
and shatter every legend in my head

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   ranjiri</style>
  dreams start their drifting and you hear a lullaby</style>

I had watched my brother be taken away from me, had felt my heart being ripped from me chest and torn apart only a few short weeks ago. Now I witnessed my father as he fell from the sky, plummeting toward the ground faster and faster until the earth caught him. My eyes were wide, and my mouth hung open as I watched with increasing horror. I think I was screaming but the only thing I could hear was my heart pounding in my ears as I ran as fast as I could.

Auntie had suggested that stay in the Basin for a short while, saying that it was unsafe to travel. At first I did not understand but after I witnessed her leave with Momma and some other strong and muscular unicorns I had a feeling that I knew what was going on. I just wasn't positive. I knew daddy was there, but I hadn't been to see him yet and as I ran to where I had seen him fall I regretted it with every fiber of my being.

"Daddy!" I could hear myself screaming for him, but it was already too late. I couldn't tell my daddy one more time that I loved him. I couldn't tell him that I didn't hate him. I couldn't even beg him to fight to stay alive because he was already gone. I stopped running, I stopped screaming for him and I stood numb and disbelieving that I had witnessed someone else that I loved be taken away from me.

Who else? Who else would I lose?

I blinked, my head turned and I looked at the equine mare that was laying next to his body. She plucked a feather and whispered that he wouldn't be forgotten. I stood shaking, trembling, feeling like I was on the verge of falling apart. I wished for my Momma, I wished for my brother, for Cera, Gaucho, Mister Archibald .... anyone that could just keep me together.

"."

Credits

aud pixel!

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia
I'm on fire and I can't stop burning
The Gallant was a glorious creature, even in death. Smoke lingered, smoldering, and tainting the wood with the unmistakable scent of charred flesh. Was it right that he had gone down in fire? It appeared to match his undying fervency… but, what a way to be remembered. Midas had once carried my own wellbeing in his hands and now it was I who remained earthbound, the only one left to protect him from the very flames that had robbed him of his immortal life. If even the Gods were incapable of tending to his wounds, then what made these mortal fools believe that they would ever be enough? What good was fighting or alliances if no one was ever truly awarded forever…? This life was as short as we made it and as long as we could fight for it. What was the use in tricking ourselves into thinking otherwise? There was no point to any of it. Safety was not something bought. It was sheer luck that kept us alive and well… that was it- that tender thread of hoping that everything would simply be okay.

Yet, nothing was okay.

Everything was wrong.

My mind attempted to busy itself behind the tears, and at times I tried to comprehend the fragments of conversation that drifted from one mouth to the next. But, I was too tired, or perhaps too numb, to decipher much else… After all, what was I supposed to think about when one died? I hadn’t been close enough to the Czar for my heart to ache with the loss of affection, but more so… just the loss of feeling. I was surrounded by disappointment and Midas had offered me light- light that had been stolen.

I tried desperately to face my onlookers, but it was impossible to imagine that I was herecrying in the Basin. I was grappling my lowest peak, hoping to fly, and falling instead. How many times would I be tested until I was considered strong?

I was never strong.

They lied.

Anger and resentment pulsed throughout my chest and my breathing hitched in an attempt to quell the sobbing, but it only enhanced the lingering ache of absolute- was there even a word for such a feeling? I couldn’t imagine hurt or loss or pain as being accurate, because I was beyond those natural thresholds. I’d hit a fever pitch and crossed into a realm still unknown to me.

Now, I was content to drift away, lost to my own subconscious. I was completely and utterly satisfied by my own imaginings, my insanity, my sanity, my ideas-

What? What was Ulrik saying? Was he honestly apologizing for my loss? Did the Gods tell him about my life? Did they share with him my failures and my patchwork childhood? Surely not… Surely this was another of his cruel jokes meant to trick me into feeling some sense of false security.

Didn’t he know that I wasn’t safe anymore? “You are safe Essetia,” Romul whispered insistently. “No,” I bit back harshly. I would never find myself again. Everything I loved or valued or admired had all been taken by death. Perhaps I was its carrier, a parasite that could not protect its victims. Maybe I was a murderer. “Don’t. You can’t be sorry for my loss, because this is not my loss,” I breathed in response to the Engineer. It was true- I had lost nothing, because I’d had nothing to begin with.

It was with these thoughts that I felt especially guilty, because when a young hybrid girl came racing into my company, crying for her father, her blood… I felt as though I’d caused her pain. My mother had died, my father had abandoned me, and now my Czar had been killed in a strange land alongside me. What was the common factor here, you ask? Me.

Essetia.

Dammit. I couldn’t remain here. I couldn’t-

I’m sorry,” I muttered to the young female with the gold-tipped wings. It was best I left her to mourn because I wasn’t sure I was capable of doing so anymore.
Image Credit

@[Ulrik] @[Ranjiri]

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity